Monotype Ground Monotype Team

So this is my first monotype team, so it will probably have some flaws. I have tested it a bit and managed to get to 1300 elo. Anyways here is my team:

THE TEAM

Landorus

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind
- Smack Down
- Psychic

I chose Landorus cause I needed a fast special attacker, with the ability to take out Fighting, Poison, Rock and Flying types easily. His immunity to Ground attacks, and being able to take neutral damage from Grass types really helps. I use Earth Power as a powerful stab attack, that can help take out Rock types and Flying types after using Smack Down, Calm Mind to boost even more his SpAtt and psychic for Poison and Fighting type coverage.

Seismitoad

Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- Icy Wind
- Earth Power

I chose Seismitoad cause I needed a pokemon that can resist/counter Water attackers, while at the same time being a good attacker. I gave him Scald as his main attack cause it can burn the attacker, while also being able to deal SE damage to anything that is weak against it, Grass Knot for Water type coverage, Icy Wind for Flying and Dragon types, aswell for the -1 speed. Lastly I gave him Earth Power for stab and for extra damage.

Garchomp

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Fire Fang

I picked Garchomp as my mega and my physical sweeper. I gave him Swords Dance to setup if needed, Earthquake as it is a powerful stab move, to counter both Rock and Poison types, Dragon Claw as his main attack and lastly Flamethrower/Fire blast/Fire Fang for Grass types, as he the only pokemon in the team that can counter Frass types effectively.

Gliscor

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake

- Facade
- Roost
-Toxic/Aerial Ace

I picked Gliscor as my bulky physical attacker and toxic user. I gave him Earthquake as it is a powerful stab move, Facade after he gets poisoned from his toxic orb becomes really op, roost to heal backup and if not using Toxic, Aerial Ace to counter any Bug types.
Mamoswine

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

I chose Mamoswine as my Dragon type counter. I gave him Ice Shard for priority, Earthquake for stab, Icicle Crash as his powerful stab move and his main attack against Dragon/Grass types. Lastly I gave him Knock Off for Psychic/Ghost
types and to knock off leftovers and lifeorbs.

Hippowdon

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

I picked Hippowdon as my physical wall and Stealth Rock setter. Gave him Earthquake as his only damaging attack, Slack Off to heal back up and Whirlwind to get rid of any annoying pokemon, or just to damage them after setting up Stealth Rock.

IMPORT:
Landorus @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind
- Smack Down
- Psychic
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- Icy Wind
- Earth Power
Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Fire Fang
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Roost
- Toxic / Aerial Ace
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Last edited:

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
Hey BobSol, nice ground team. I'll give you a rate because I can see some changes that could really help your team out.

- For Landorus-I, the first thing I noticed was how you were utilizing Smack Down in order to manage Flying Pokemon and get your opportunity for putting out STAB Earth Power's. However, Smack Down can be really ineffective in covering this issue, because your opponent can switch out freely after having been hit by said move, rendering it rather useless. An easy way of fixing this is by changing Smack Down -> Gravity, which not only prevents whether your opponent switches or not form mattering, but it also gives your team access to hitting Ground-immune Pokemon for multiple turns after. With regards to Calm Mind, it doesn't really suit your Landorus-I move-set, especially if you want to be able to abuse Gravity, plus it limits how much your main Special Attacker can cover. Because of this I would suggest you make Calm Mind -> Rock Slide -or- Sludge Wave. Rock Slide provides coverage for Bug, Ice, and Flying, in case you are unable to get that Gravity off beforehand and it can act as a nice lure for SpD switch-ins that may wall Landorus-I otherwise. Sludge Wave, on the other-hand, covers for Grass and Fairy, which against a Ground team lacking Excadrill, can be a real bother to handle.
- I'm not really sure why you have that EV spread on Seismitoad, but the speed investment doesn't cover anything notable that I can think of. Because of that, I would recommend changing its EVs from 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe -> 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe in order to outspeed Neutral, Max Invest Base 70s. Also, if you happen to decide to use Rock Slide on Landorus-I, you should change Icy Wind -> Sludge Bomb. This way you still have Poison coverage as an option as well as a nice chance for status-ing the opposing Pokemon without losing too much power.
->
- One big issue that this team has, is that it there is currently no option for speed control beyond Mamoswine's Ice Shard. This can be brutally problematic as Generation 7 is looking to become an incredibly speed-based metagame, leaving balanced, Sand Rush-less Ground in the dust. I would have suggested a change to Gliscor's spread to make it into the common Stall-breaker, however your team is already heavily invested in its offense, so that would only hinder your team's output. I would suggest making Gliscor -> Choice Band Excadrill (will add it in the importable at the bottom), rather than Life Orb Excadrill because you are already using one on Mamoswine and 3 Choice items is a tad difficult for Ground to manage effectively, especially if two are the same item. Now, why Excadrill? Speed Control is great, no questions asked, but it also hits Ice super-effectively, can demolish opposing teams in favorable matchups, can remove hazards making sure your team can work at its full strength, and is an amazing physical threat option thanks to its base 135 Attack stat.
- Hippowdon is your only option for tanking hits on this team. Because of this, you should consider making it into a Mixed Wall so that you can comfortably switch-in to an array of moves without worrying about low-opportunity 2HKOs or not providing enough support for your team. The spread that will be down below allows for being able to manage both Physical and Special threats nicely while still being an effective hazard/weather setter and phaser.
Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Rock Slide / Sludge Wave
- Gravity

EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Icy Wind / Sludge Bomb

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin / X-Scissor

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

With that I'll conclude my rate. I hope this will help you out and good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)