Grammar Prose Workshop v2 (updated 12/4/17!)

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks to its great bulk and useful Grass / Steel- typing (the hyphen is not needed in this case), (add comma) Ferrothorn is one of the best entry hazard setters in ubersUbers (caps).
Perfect!
It fairs very well against defoggers such as Lati@sas and Latios (full form--no slang terms, please!), especially if it Ferrothorn runs Toxic ("it" can refer to Latio /as, which is kinda ambiguous). Also, Toxic is useful foragainst support Arceus formes and Giratina-Origin. Also, w (if the original meant opposing Arceus / Giratina, the change is fine; however, if it meant to support our Arceus / Giratina, the original is fine).
fairs --> fares
defoggers --> Defoggers
I'd actually argue that "it" isn't really ambiguous because "Latias and Latios" is plural, so it would be weird to refer to them (or one of them) as "it" right after. I can only see "it" being Ferrothorn, so I probably would have left that alone.
With the combination of Iron Barbs, Spikes, Leech Seed, (add comma) and Toxic, Ferrothorn can easily wear down opponents for a teammate to clean up later.
opponents refers to the battler; you're not wearing them down. should be "foes" or "opposing teams"!
It does have some flaws, however. Ferrothorn is very slow, rendered useless by Taunt, very slow, and has a nasty x4x weakness to Fire.
Excellent work on the parallelism there! The first sentence here is what we consider fluff, though--every Pokemon has flaws, so that sentence isn't really saying anything important or noteworthy. It is good to have a transition, though. What I would do is remove that first sentence entirely and add a "However," to the beginning of the next sentence, which accomplishes the same meaning without the fluff.

Conni

katharsis
This is an Amcheck btw

Wanting to try this since writing/editing has always been one of my favorite hobbies.
remove
add
(comment)

Dugtrio is a great revenge-killer (hyphen shouldn't be used here) that is also able to clean late game due to it's high Sspeed. Make sure to scout for opposing Scarfers pokemon with choice scarfs (Scarfers isn't really spelled correctly and has grammar issues), (no need for comma since because is already a sentence expander) because they can outspeed and KO take out Dugtrio instead. Because (don't start a sentence with because) Dugtrio it is so frail , Dugtrio because (better to use because) it is unable to switch-in on many attacks, so you should only bring in it Dugtrio in after a team(remove space)mate has fainted or with when a slow Volt Switch/U-Turn/Baton Pass user such as mMega Ampharos and Vaporeon.

just gonna do another one in-case if the one above doesn't prove much :P

It's best to set(add space here)up DD towards the end of the game, when Mega Charizard-X's(don't put a hyphen between Charizard/Mewtwo and X/Y) checks and counters are out of play or have been weakened enough to be picked off defeated (better to use defeated as it is understood easily) after a boost. Charizard-X (don't put a hyphen between Charizard/Mewtwo and X/Y) should set up on a Pokemon that it forces out, such as Mega Scizor and Celebi, or against Electric-types such as Manectric-Mega Mega Manectric and Raikou. Rotom-Wash is an easy target to set-up on if it is running HP investment, as it can't 2HKO Charizard-X with hHydro pPump, and is stalled out with Roost. Make sure you avoid Thunder Wave from pokemon like Cresselia, Thundurus (which also has Prankster) and Mega-Slowbro as paralys paralysis cuts Mega Charizard-X's speed in half, making it suspectible susceptible to a higher amount of revengers pokemon.

Hopefully, I didn't screw anything up. Have fun reading :)

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Conni

Dugtrio is a great revenge-killer (hyphen shouldn't be used here) that is also able to clean late game due to it's high Sspeed.
-good call on removing the hyphen;
-it's -> its here because it's a possessive pronoun, and late game -> late-game because that phrase is hyphenated;
-i would've kept "Speed" here because you're primarily referencing the Speed stat.

Make sure to scout for opposing Scarfers pokemon with choice scarfs (Scarfers isn't really spelled correctly and has grammar issues), (no need for comma since because is already a sentence expander) because they can outspeed and KO take out Dugtrio instead.
-Scarfers is too casual and therefore doesn't fly yeah, your fix works with the words capitalised that need capitalising, but something like "Choice Scarf users" would be a lot less clunky;
-"okay" on removing the comma before because, don't think a comma is entirely wrong there but i'd say it does work better without one so w/e;
-no real reason to change KO to take out.

Because (don't start a sentence with because) Dugtrio it is so frail , Dugtrio because (better to use because) it is unable to switch-in on many attacks,
-switch-in -> switch in. switch in is the verb form, switch-in refers to a pokemon switching into a foe;
-there is absolutely nothing wrong with starting a sentence with because; that only applies to coordinating conjunctions (and / but / or / yet / so / couple that i forget, and only in formal writing) for reasons that are a little too technical to elaborate on right now, "because" and other subordinating conjunctions are fine;
-be careful with causality here, because your changes have kind of put it the wrong way around. dugtrio's frailty is the reason it cannot switch in on attacks, its inability to switch in is not the reason it's frail. the original sentence was fine here honestly apart from the hyphen in switch-in.

so you should only bring in it Dugtrio in after a team(remove space)mate has fainted or with when a slow Volt Switch/U-Turn/Baton Pass user such as mMega Ampharos and Vaporeon.
-good spelling fixes;
-U-turn, not U-Turn;
-"only bring it in" wouldve been fine imo, it was clear enough that Dugtrio was being referred to;
-"with" was fine too;
-those slashes are kinda too casual for an analysis, "Volt Switch, U-turn, or Baton Pass user" would've been the way to go.

It's best to set(add space here)up DD towards the end of the game, when Mega Charizard-X's(don't put a hyphen between Charizard/Mewtwo and X/Y) checks and counters are out of play or have been weakened enough to be picked off defeated (better to use defeated as it is understood easily) after a boost.
-good call on adding the space;
-spell out Dragon Dance entirely;
-good forme name fix;
-i don't like the change picked off -> defeated because there was never a real reason to ("pick off" is understood easily enough) and "defeated" gets rid of the nuance that its counters have to be worn down first, which is kind of important and "picked off" conveys fine.

Charizard-X (don't put a hyphen between Charizard/Mewtwo and X/Y) should set up on a Pokemon that it forces out, such as Mega Scizor and Celebi, or against Electric-types such as Manectric-Mega Mega Manectric and Raikou.
-good fixes on the forme names, though don't forget to add "Mega" before charizard x as well;
-be careful with removing that comma after celebi, "such as Mega Scizor or Celebi" should be bracketed off either by two commas or by none at all;
-kinda technical, but since "a Pokemon" is singular, make it "Mega Scizor or Celebi", because the example has to be a singular too. on the other hand, "and" is correct with "Mega Manectric and Raikou" though, because "Electric-types" is plural.

Rotom-Wash is an easy target to set-up on if it is running HP investment, as it can't 2HKO Charizard-X with hHydro pPump, and is stalled out with Roost.
-rotom-wash -> rotom-w, truncated forme names are the way to go. same with thundurus-t, giratina-o, wormadam-g, etc;
-set-up -> set up. set up is the verb form, setup is the noun, and set-up is an adjective / participle ("a fully set-up scizor" is p. much the only correct way to use it);
-good call on removing the hyphen again, but remember to make it mega charizard x as well;
-no comma before "and"; if you have a comma there, you should also introduce a new subject after the comma. "i played football and kicked him" is fine, as is "i played football, and i kicked him", but "i played football, and kicked him" won't fly. kind of hard to explain properly, but it helps if you view it as "what did i do?" "play football, and kick him"; this makes about as much sense as "heatran, and scizor are good fairy checks", so just get rid of that comma there.

Make sure you avoid Thunder Wave from pokemon like Cresselia, Thundurus (which also has Prankster) and Mega-Slowbro as paralys paralysis cuts Mega Charizard-X's speed in half, making it suspectible susceptible to a higher amount of revengers pokemon.
-capitalise pokemon and speed;
-good call on removing hyphens and fixing misspellings;
-it quarters Speed, it doesn't halve it. tbqf "cuts Mega Charizard X's Speed" is probably good enough too, no need to get overly specific if it makes the text too clunky;
-always put a comma before as / since if they mean "because";
-revengers doesn't work yeah, but "revenge killers" is a more standard phrase;
-kinda technical, but don't use "amount" for things that you can count, use "number" instead. "the amount of sand" vs. "the number of grains".

this probably looks like a lot to take in at once, and i don't expect you to get it right immediately anyway haha. overall i'd say you know what things to be on the lookout for, and i'd like to see more after you familiarise yourself a little more with our grammar standards / become a little more consistent :)

Conni

katharsis
Ok gonna do more of these GP exercises.
remove add (comment)
Thanks to its great bulk and useful Grass- / Steel-typing, Ferrothorn is one of the best entry hazard setters in uUbers (not grammar but isn't it supposed to be OU? lol). It fairs fares very well against defoggers such as Lati@s Latios and Latias, especially if it runs Toxic. Also, Toxic is useful for support Arceus forms and Giratina-Origin (No need for the full "Origin", just Giratina-O is fine). Also, with the combination of Iron Barbs, Spikes, Leech Seed and Toxic, Ferrothorn can easily wear down opponents for a teammate to clean-up later. It does have some flaws, however. Ferrothorn is rendered useless by Taunt, very slow a slow Speed stat, and has a nasty x4 weakness to Fire.

There are a few options for the last moveslot. Flamethrower heavily damages Steel- types such as Scizor and Excadrill, while Ice Beam lures in and OHKOs Specially Defensive Glicsor Gliscor. Psyschock deals more damage to Chansey, as it hits on the other side of the spectrum. Finally, Thunder Wave is a great utility move that cripples many of Clefable's checks, including Talonflame, Scizor and Megagross Mega Metagross.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Grammar is something I've always been into, so I'm interested in getting involved.

Removals
Additions
Comments

It's It is best to set (add space) up DD Dragon Dance towards the end of the game, when Mega Charizard- (remove dash, add space) X's checks and counters are out of play or have been weakened enough to be picked off after a boost. Mega Charizard- (remove dash, add space) X should set up on a Pokemon that it forces out, such as Mega Scizor and Celebi, or against Electric-types such as Manectric-Mega Mega Manectric and Raikou. Rotom-Wash Rotom-W is an easy target to set (add space) up on if it is running HP investment, as it can't 2HKO Mega Charizard- (remove dash, add space) X with hydro pump Hydro Pump, (RC) and is can be stalled out with Roost (be careful of Thunder Wave though). Make sure you avoid Thunder Wave from pokemon Pokemon like Cresselia, Thundurus (which also has Prankster) and Mega- (remove dash, add space) Slowbro, (AC) as paralysis cuts Mega Charizard- (remove dash, add space) X's speed Speed in half, making it suspectible susceptible to a higher amount of more revengers revenge killers.

I might have been too picky in some spots, so I'd love to hear some feedback.

P Squared

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi guy
pretty good work (glad you know your Mega name formatting already); here's what you missed
Mega Charizard- X should set up on a Pokemon that it forces out, such as Mega Scizor and Celebi
according to this sentence, Mega Scizor and Celebi are examples of a Pokemon that Char X forces out, but Mega Scizor and Celebi aren't a Pokemon. to make this match in number, it's gotta be Mega Scizor or Celebi (singular, which matches a Pokemon)
Make sure you avoid Thunder Wave from pokemon Pokemon like Cresselia, Thundurus (which also has Prankster) and Mega- (remove dash, add space) Slowbro
just something smogon-specific and not really grammar-rule-related, but we use the serial comma, so it's gotta be Cresselia, Thundurus, and Mega Slowbro.

looking forward to seeing you try more!

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Removals
Additions
Comments

Electrode can also run Damp Rock, which extends the duration of Rain to eight turns. Magic Guard reflects Magic Coat (?) can be used to reflect entry hazards and Taunt back to the foe, but Electrode doesn’t want to give up 1 of its other moves it forces Electrode to sacrifice one of its valuable moveslots. A Special Attacking set with LO Life Orb, HP Hidden Power Ice, (AC) and Foul Play can be considered, however but it is subpar due to Electrode’s low offenses and shallow movepool mean it is underwelming. Similarly, Choice Specs isn't a great option as it is almost completely outclassed by other offensive Electric-types (there's no point in even mentioning this if it's completely outclassed by other Electric-types).

Thanks to its great bulk and useful Grass / Steel-typing Grass/Steel typing, (AC) Ferrothorn is one of the best entry hazard setters in ubers Ubers. It fairs fares very well against defoggers Defog users such as Lati@s Latios and Latias, especially if it runs Toxic. Also, Toxic is Toxic is also useful for support against supportive Arceus forms and Giratina-Origin. Also, with the combination of Iron Barbs, Spikes, Leech Seed, (AC) and Toxic, Ferrothorn can easily wear down opponents for a the opposing team so that a teammate to can clean up later. It does have some flaws, however. However, Ferrothorn is rendered useless by Taunt, it is very slow, and it has a nasty x4 4x weakness to Fire.

There are a few options for the last moveslot. Flamethrower heavily damages Steel- (remove space, add hyphen) types such as Scizor and Excadrill, while Ice Beam lures in and OHKOs OHKOes Specially Defensive specially defensive Glicsor Gliscor. Psyschock Psyshock deals more damage to Chansey, as it hits on the other side of the spectrum utilizes the target's Defense stat rather than Special Defense. Finally, Thunder Wave is a great useful utility move that cripples many of Clefable's checks, including Talonflame, Scizor and Megagross Mega Metagross.

This is pretty fun.

edit: In the Analysis Overview Example with errors in the OP, I think there's an unintended error:

Zangoose is one of the most effective wall breakers wallbreakers and late-game sweepers in the NU metagame.
edit 2:

Dugtrio is a great revenge- (remove hyphen, add space) killer that is also able to clean late- (add hyphen)game due to it's its high Speed. Make sure to scout for opposing Scarfers Choice Scarf Users, because as they can outspeed and KO Dugtrio instead. Because it is so frail, Dugtrio is unable to switch- (remove hyphen, add space) in on many attacks. (period), so you should only bring in it Rather, it should be sent out after a team mate teammate has fainted or with a slow Volt Switch/U-Turn/Baton Pass Volt Switch, U-Turn, or Baton Pass user such as from a Pokemon like mega Mega Ampharos and or Vaporeon.

Last edited:

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
Add
Remove
Comments

Gale wings Wings and Refridgerate Refrigerate checks, (AC) such as Skarmory, Entei, Heatran, (AC) and Doublade, (AC) are great partners to Shaymin-Sky Shaymin-S. Hazard control support is also very important for Shaymin Shaymin-S; (Add Semicolon) (Shaymin is not the same Pokemon as Shaymin-S) - (Remove Hyphen) defoggers Defoggers, (AC) such as Latios, (AC) & and Spinners spinners, (AC) such as Excadrill, (AC) are good for hazard control, while hazard setters like Heatran and Landorus-Therian Landorus-T are very helpful in wearing down the opponents, especially Flying types Flying-types and Fire types Fire-types. Teammates like Mega Metagross and Heatran appreciate Shaymins Shaymin-S's ability to decimate bulky Water-types, (AC) which bother them. Shaymin Shaymin-S finds itself at home with Volt/Turn VoltTurn Pokemon like Rotom-W and Scizor due to Shaymin's Shaymin-S's ability to abuse the momentum granted from Volt Switch and U-Turn them. (No need to repeat this; the subject is the same) Magnet Pull users, (AC) such as Heatran, (AC) (Heatran does not have Magnet Pull as an ability; maybe you meant Magnezone) make great parters partners as well, (AC) removing pesky Steel types Steel-types like Skarmory.

Dragonite can take hits well thanks to its ability, Multiscale, can finish opponents off with Extremespeed Extreme Speed, and has a Dragon/flying typing Dragon / Flying-type, (AC) which gives it a resistance to Bug-, Fighting-, Fire-, Grass-, (AC) and Water-type Pokemon. Unfortunately, its Dragon/flying typing Dragon / Flying typing makes it 4 times 4x weak to Ice-type Pokemon, (AC) which there are a plethora of , (fluff) such as Weavile. Finally, Stealth Rocks Stealth Rock are is dangerous for the pseudo legend pseudo-legendary because it causes a quarter of its Dragonite's HP to be removed, making it easily worn down. (Make a note that Stealth Rock also breaks Multiscale)

Sunflora is a bad Pokemon since it's way to too slow to sweep, (AC) even with a Speed speed boost from Chllorophyl Chlorophyll. It's Its frailty also causes it be KOd KOed before it can even kill KO the opponent. It also faces competition with other Chllorophyl Chlorophyll sweepers in the tier (Please specify what tier this is), such as Victreebel and Exeggutor. They are quicker and more powerful, however, but Sunflora is more of a suicide Sun sun setter that has a chance to threaten the foe. However, this tactic is very hard to sucessfully successfully carry out, (AC) and it is recommended to stick to more viable options Pokemon (It's confusing what you're talking about) instead, (AC) because they are better in the current metagame. (Add Period) unlike Sunflora. (Don't need to restate this)

Figured I'd try my hand at all three new ones. I thought Sunflora was a tad difficult because it's such casual speech.

Last edited:
remove add comments change capitalization
Gale Wings and RefridgerateRefrigerate checks such as Skarmory, Entei, Heatran,(AC) and Doublade are great partners to Shaymin-Sky(abbreviation). Hazard control support is also very important for Shaymin-S(include the Pokemons forme throughout the entire the analysis);(AC) -(RH) Defoggers such as Latios &and(you cannot use the ampersand (&) in analysis writing) Spinners such as Excadrill are good for hazard control, while hazard setters like Heatran and Landorus-Therian are very helpful in wearing down the opponentsfoe, especially Flying-(AH)types and Fire-types(AH). Teammates like(like is used for comparison)such as Mega-Metagross(AH) and Heatran appreciate Shaymins-S's ability to decimate bulky Water-types which bother them(unnecessary). Shaymin-S finds itself at homepairs nicely with Volt/TurnVoltTurn Pokemon like Rotom-W and Scizor due to Shaymin-S's ability to abuse the momentum granted from Volt Switch and U-Turnthat they offer. Magnet Pull users such as Heatran make great partners as well,(AC) removing pesky Steel types like Skarmory.

Dragonite can taketank hits well thanks to its ability, Multiscale, finish opponents offand KO its foes with Extreme Speed(space in the middle of Extreme Speed).(full stop),and has a Dragon/flyingDragon typing which gives it a resistance to Bug-, Fighting-, Fire-, Grass- and Water-type Pokemon.(unnecessary) Unfortunately, its Dragon/flyingDragon-, Flying- typing makes it 4 times weakness to Ice-type Pokemon which there are a plethora of ,(RC) such as Weavile. Finally, Stealth Rocks are dangerous for the pseudo legend because it causes a quarter of itsDragonites HP to be removed upon switching in, making it easily worn down.

Sunflora is a bad Pokemon since it's way to is too slow to sweep,(AC) even with a Speed boost from Chllorophyll. It's frailty also causes it be KOed before it can even killKO(pokemon do not die or kill) the opponent. It also faces competition withagainst other Chllorophyl sun sweepers in the tier,(RC) such as Victreebel and Exeggutor. They are a lot quicker and more powerful,(RC);(SC) however, Sunflora is more ofused as a suicide sun setter that has a chance to threaten the foe. However,(RC) This tactic is very hard to sucessfully carry out,(AC) and it is recommended to stick to more viable options instead because they are better in the current metagame unlike Sunflora.

P Squared

Just some quick general notes.

iLlama
Looks like you have a pretty good foundation already, plus some Smogon conventions like VoltTurn / Fire-types etc, nice. Main things I want to point out: commas around lists are not mandatory; it seems like you added them around every list, and sometimes that makes it flow less... smoothly. I'm referring to the parts like "checks, such as Skarmory, Entei, and Heatran, are great partners" -- that would still be fine as "checks such as Skarmory, Entei, and Heatran are great partners". In fact there are cases where adding the commas around the list would make it incorrect ("Pokemon, such as Starmie, can spin hazards away for it" is definitely worse than "Pokemon such as Starmie can spin hazards away for it"). The other thing is that "opponent" refers to the other battler; if you're talking about the opposing Pokemon you'd use something like foe or target. That's just a Smogon-specific thing you gotta get used to with practice.

Conor3197
Also pretty good foundation, I'm especially glad to see you put the semicolon before "however"... some lesser known stuff like Extreme Speed instead of Extremespeed is also good to see.
There's some Smogon standard stuff you should read through, though. For example, Mega Pokemon names don't use hyphens; Mega Metagross, Mega Lopunny etc are correct. Dual types are written as "Dragon / Flying typing".
I also felt a little iffy about some of your non-objective additions/removals, like take -> tank was not really a useful change, and you don't really need to specify "a lot" before "quicker and more powerful" in my opinion.

Both of you feel free to leave amchecks on LC / Doubles analyses :)

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ADD, (AC) = Add Comma, (AH) = Add Hyphen
REMOVE, (RC) = Remove Comma, (RH) = Remove Hyphen
(Comments)

Gale wWings and Refridgerate checks such as Skarmory, Entei, Heatran, (AC) and Doublade are great partners to Shaymin-Sky. Hazard control support is also very important for Shaymin-S; - (RH) defoggers such as Latios & and Rapid Spin users Spinners such as Excadrill are good for hazard control removal, while hazard setters like Heatran and Landorus-Therian are very helpful in wearing down the opponentfoes, especially Flying types- and Fire -types. Teammates like Mega Metagross and Heatran appreciate Shaymin-S's ability to decimate bulky Water-types, (AC) which bother them. Shaymin-S finds itself at home with Volt/Turn Pokemon like Rotom-W and Scizor due to Shaymin-S's ability to abuse the momentum granted from Volt Switch and U-Turn. Magnet Pull users such as Heatran make great parters as well, as they can removinge pesky Steel-(AH)types like Skarmory.

Dragonite can take hits well thanks to its ability, Multiscale, finish opponents foes off with Extremes Speed, and has a Dragon/f / Flying typing which gives it a resistance to Bug-, Fighting-, Fire-, Grass-, (AC) and Water-type Pokemonmoves. Unfortunately, its Dragon/f / Flying typing makes it 4x times weak to Ice-type Pokemonmoves, (AC) which there are a have plethora of users, such as Weavile. Finally, Stealth Rocks are dangerous for the pseudo legendary, because it causesremoves a quarter of its HP to be removed, making it easily worn down.

Sunflora is a bad Pokemon since it's way to slow to sweep even with a Speed boost from Chllorophyll. It's frailty also causes it be KOed before it can even kill KO the opponentfoe. It also faces competition with from other Chllorophyll sweepers in the tier, such as Victreebel and Exeggutor. They are quicker and more powerful, however, (RC) but Sunflora is more of a suicide Sun setter that has a chance to threaten the foe. However, this tactic is very hard to sucessfully carry out and it is recommended to stick to more viable options instead, (AC) because they are better in the current metagame unlike Sunflora.

First time doing one of these, interested to see how I did

Temperley

Banned deucer.
Uh hi! This is my first time doing grammar checking and I'd love for some feedback :D

Gale wings Wings and Refridgerate checks such as Skarmory, Entei, Heatran, (comma) and Doublade are great partners to Shaymin-Sky. Hazard control support is also very important for Shaymin - (remove hyphen) ; (semicolon) defoggers Defoggers such as Latios & (Uhh I'm pretty sure the standards say you can't use this symbol.) and Spinners spinners such as Excadrill are good for hazard control, while hazard setters like Heatran and Landorus-Therian are very helpful in at (They're not in anything. Lol.) wearing down the opponents, especially Flying types and Fire types Flying- and Fire-types. Teammates like Mega Metagross and Heatran appreciate Shaymins Shaymin's ability to decimate bulky Water-types which bother them. Shaymin finds itself at home with Volt/Turn Pokemon like Rotom-W and Scizor due to Shaymin's ability to abuse the momentum granted from Volt Switch and U-Turn. Magnet Pull users such as Heatran make great parters partners as well removing pesky Steel types Steel-types like Skarmory.

Let me know if anything's wrong; thanks in advance! :)

P Squared

hi Temperley

Good work, glad to see you looked through the standards :) there are a few things you missed (forme names are truncated, so it should be Shaymin-S and Landorus-T, for example; VoltTurn is written that way and not with a slash; U-Turn should be U-turn), I think these are all in the standards as well, so you should just familiarize yourself with that page more as you check haha. When I was starting out I found it helpful to keep the standards open in another tab when checking, and whenever I came across a term in an analysis that I thought might have a specific formatting, I would ctrl-f it in the standards.

Milak

Stoïque fierté
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
First time doing this!

Add Remove Comment
AC = add comma

RC = remove comma
AS = add semicolon
AP = add period

Gale wings Wings and Refridgerate checks(AC) such as Skarmory, Entei, Heatran(AC) and Doublade are great partners to Shaymin-Sky. Hazard control support is also very important for Shaymin this Pokémon(AS) (I personally don't feel like repeating the name of the Pokémon) As a matter of fact defoggers Defoggers such as Latios & and Spinners such as Excadrill are good for hazard control at removing hazards (same thing, "hazard control" is at the beginning of the sentence), while hazard setters like Heatran and Landorus-Therian are very helpful in wearing can help wear down the opponents, especially Flying types Flying-types and Fire types Fire-types. Teammates like Mega Metagross and Heatran appreciate Shaymins Shaymin's ability to decimate bulky Water-types(AC) which would otherwise bother them. Shaymin Shaymin-Sky finds itself at home with Volt/Turn VoltTurn Pokemon Pokémon like Rotom-W and Scizor(AC) due to thanks to (I feel like "thanks to" has a more positive undertone) Shaymin's its ability to abuse the momentum granted from Volt Switch and U-Turn U-turn. Furhtermore(AC) Magnet Pull users such as Heatran make great parters partners(AC) as well removing pesky they can remove Steel types Steel-types like Skarmory from the field.

Dragonite can take hits well thanks to its ability(RC) Multiscale(RC) and finish opponents off with Extremespeed(AS) moreover(AC) and has a its Dragon/flying Dragon/Flying typing which gives it a resistance to Bug-, Fighting-, Fire-, Grass- and Water-type Pokemon Pokémon. Unfortunately, its Dragon/flying this (I think "this" fits better here as it's not redundant) typing makes it 4 times weak to Ice-type Pokemon Pokémon(AC) which there are a the metagame has a plethora of, such as Weavile. Finally, Stealth Rocks Rock are is dangerous for the pseudo legend(AC) beacuse as it causes removes a quarter of its HP to be removed, making it easily easy to worn wear down.

Sunflora is a bad Pokemon Pokémon since it's way to too slow to sweep(AC) even with a Speed boost from Chllorophyl Chlorophyll. It's Its frailty also causes it to be KOd KOed before it can even kill the opponent. Furthermore(AC) It it also faces competition with other Chllorophyl Chlorophyll sweepers in the tier, such as Victreebel and Exeggutor(AC) as They they are quicker faster and more powerful(AP) however Although Sunflora is more of can be used as a suicide Sun setter that has a chance to threaten the foe(AC) However this tactic is very hard to sucessfully carry out(AC) and therefore it is recommended to stick to more viable options(AC) instead because they are better in the current metagame(AC) unlike Sunflora.

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
hello there Milak!
it's nice to see some new amcheckers. i'll put my comments on these in teal.

Gale wings Wings and Refridgerate (be careful! It's Refrigerate, not Refridgerate) checks(AC) (okay so. if you add this comma, there ends up being a comma before the clause and no comma at the end to close it. with commas surrounding these, you can usually replace them with brackets. here it would be "refrigerate checks (such as skarm, entei, tran, and doublade are great partners" which wouldn't work. here you dont need to add the comma, but if the comma was already there, you could either remove the comma or add another one after doublade) such as Skarmory, Entei, Heatran(AC) (yep, serial comma :) good job) and Doublade are great partners to Shaymin-Sky (truncate forme names: so Shaymin-S, not Shaymin-Sky. Others include Rotom-W and Gourgeist-S). Hazard control support is also very important for Shaymin this Pokémon(AS) (I personally don't feel like repeating the name of the Pokémon) (eh this is ok, but not necessary. moreover, though, it's 'Pokemon' not 'Pokémon'. also what's "AS"?) As a matter of fact (as a matter of fact isn't necessary. anyway, if it were there, there needs to be a comma after fact) defoggers Defoggers such as Latios & and Spinners (not Spinners. it's either spinners or Rapid Spin users) such as Excadrill are good for hazard control at removing hazards (same thing, "hazard control" is at the beginning of the sentence), while hazard setters like Heatran and Landorus-Therian (Landorus-T) are very helpful in wearing can help wear down the opponents (foes, not opponents. foes = opposing pokemon, opponents = opposing players), especially Flying types Flying-types and Fire types Fire-types (in things like this, Flying- and Fire-types is probably better here). Teammates like Mega Metagross and Heatran appreciate Shaymins Shaymin's (shaymin-s's) ability to decimate bulky Water-types(AC) which (yep) would otherwise bother them. Shaymin Shaymin-Sky (Shaymin-S) finds itself at home with Volt/Turn VoltTurn Pokemon Pokémon (original over change) like Rotom-W and Scizor(AC) (dont add comma) due to thanks to (I feel like "thanks to" has a more positive undertone) (due to was fine, but this is ok i guess) Shaymin's its ability to abuse (no! abuse is a banned term. it's generally negative, so usually "take advantage of" is better) the momentum granted from Volt Switch and U-Turn U-turn. Furhtermore(AC) (again, be careful! Furthermore, not furhtermore) Magnet Pull users such as Heatran make great parters partners(AC) as well removing pesky they can remove Steel types Steel-types like Skarmory from the field.

Dragonite can take hits well thanks to its ability(RC) Multiscale(RC) and finish opponents (foes) off with Extremespeed (Extreme Speed, not Extremespeed) (AS) moreover(AC) and has a its Dragon/flying Dragon/Flying (Dragon / Flying, spaces between slashes) typing which gives it a resistance to Bug-, Fighting-, Fire-, Grass-(serial comma here) and Water-type Pokemon Pokémon (Pokemon). Unfortunately, its Dragon/flying this (I think "this" fits better here as it's not redundant) typing makes it 4 times (4x weak, not 4 times) weak to Ice-type Pokemon Pokémon (Pokemon, and also, "moves" over "Pokemon" works better here, because it's not 4x weak to the pokemon) (AC) which there are a the metagame has a plethora of, such as Weavile. Finally, Stealth Rocks Rock are is (yes!) dangerous for the pseudo legend (Replace the pseudo legend with Dragonite. fluffy names are not encouraged for analyses) (AC) beacuse as it causes removes a quarter of its HP to be removed, making it easily easy to worn wear down.

Sunflora is a bad Pokemon Pokémon (Pokemon, and comma before since when it means because (same as "as")) since it's way to too slow to sweep(AC) even with a Speed boost from Chllorophyl Chlorophyll. It's Its frailty also causes it to be KOd KOed before it can even kill (KO, not kill) the opponent (foe). Furthermore(AC) It it also (It also faces is fine) faces competition with other Chllorophyl Chlorophyll sweepers in the tier, such as Victreebel and Exeggutor(AC) as They they are quicker faster and more powerful(AP) however Although Sunflora is more of can be used as a suicide Sun (sun, not Sun. weather conditions are lowercase) setter that has a chance to threaten the foe(AC) However (this is a splice comma, so change "however" to "but") this tactic is very hard to sucessfully (successfully, not sucessfully) carry out(AC) and therefore (comma after therefore) it is recommended to stick to more viable options(AC) instead because they are better in the current metagame(AC) unlike Sunflora.

you seem to know some of the rules and standards, but you could afford to be a little more careful; nothing a little practice and experience can't solve, though, and good luck!
edit: oh there are also some nice and useful links here: spo.ink/ftoolset
- grammar standards, im sure you know about them but they're always nice to refer to when you're stuck!
- fleur's notes, just a few extra things not covered in the standards
- diff app, for some people it's an easier way to do checks
- subjective gp changes guide, very helpful guide that you should read if you haven't already. it tells you about what is probably one of the most important things to consider when checking!

Last edited:
This is my first time doing something like this in years
i hope i am not really rusty
(AC)=add comma

Gale wings Wings and Refridgerate(this is spelled wrong) Refrigerate checks such as Skarmory, Entei,(AC) Heatran and Doublade are great partners to Shaymin-Sky s . Hazard control support is also very important for Shaymin - defoggers Defoggers such as Latios & and(you know i really thought you would do Lati@s thing instead of the and, i am shocked by the fact you didn't do that ) Spinners (i learned to not use capitalization in the middle of a sentence when i was in first grade English) spinners such as Excadrill are good for hazard control, while hazard setters like Heatran and Landorus-Therian T are very helpful in wearing can help wear(this sentence can go two ways are seems like a opinion, so can seems better) down the opponents foes, especially Flying types Flying- and Fire types Fire-types(you have to add hyphens and to make things simpler you can just type "Flying-" instead of Flying-types). Teammates like Mega Metagross and Heatran appreciate Shaymins Shaymin-s's ability to decimate bulky Water-types(AC) which would otherwise bother (Which in this sentence seems like present tense, would is future tense) them. Shaymin Shaymin-s(this article is not about Shaymin it's about Shaymin-s) finds itself at home with Volt/Turn VoltTurn Pokemon like Rotom-W and Scizor due to Shaymin's it's ability to abuse(this is a bad word) the momentum granted from Volt Switch and U-Turn(i just noticed that, that's dirty) U-turn.( i just think 'Furthermore" would be the most fitting word here, but that's just my opinion) Furthermore(AC) Magnet Pull users such as Heatran make great parters(i really don't have to explain the issue with this) partners(AC) as well removing they can remove Steel types(see that green text read that you have to use hyphens) Steel-types like Skarmory from the field

updated 12/18/2016[/quote]
I want to help with this thing because i don't really want my years of study to go to waste
Edit i noticed that i am the first person in months good for me i guess.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Dragonite can take hits well thanks to its ability, Multiscale,;(change to semicolon) finish opponents off with Extreme Speed (add space, caps), and has a Dragon / Flying (caps, spacing) typing which gives it a resistance to Bug-, Fighting-, Fire-, Grass-,(use oxford comma) and Water-type Pokemon. (a pretty long sentence but it seems suitable for an overview.) Unfortunately, its Dragon / Flying typing makes it 4 times4x weak to Ice-type Pokemon which there are a plethora of which are abundant in the metagame(somewhat more comfortable sentence structure), such as Weavile. Finally, Stealth Rocks are dangerous for the pseudo legendDragonite because itswitching in causeswill remove a quarter of its HP to be removed(active voice), making it easily get worn down easily.

Tried to be minimally invasive here (and yet look at this formatting nightmare). Was going to dive in to a formal amcheck on Ampharos or another in the queue, but I'd like to see what the consensus is on this approach. I think what I would struggle with the most is remembering to consistently apply active voice, as my usual writing style often goes the other direction.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sunflora is an unviable bad Pokémon since it's way it is too slow to sweep, (AC) even with a Speed boost from Chllorophyl Chlorophyll., (RP)(AC) and It's its frailty also causes it be KOd KOed before it can even kill the opponent an opposing Pokémon. It also faces competition with from other Chllorophyl Chlorophyll sweepers in the tier, such as Victreebel and Exeggutor., (RP)(AC) They which are quicker faster and more powerful,. (RC)(AP) However, Sunflora is more of can be used as a suicide sun setter that has a chance to threaten the foe opposing Pokemon.; (RP) (ASC) however, this tactic is very hard to sucessfully successfully carry out. (AP) and For these reasons, (AC) it is recommended to stick to more viable options (include examples?) instead because they are better more effective in the current metagame unlike than Sunflora.

Sunflora is an unviable Pokémon since it is too slow to sweep, even with a Speed boost from Chlorophyll, and its frailty causes it to be KOed before it can kill an opposing Pokémon. It also faces competition from other Chlorophyll users, such as Victreebel and Exeggutor, which are faster and more powerful. Sunflora can be used as a suicide sun setter with the chance to threaten opposing Pokemon; however, this tactic is very hard to successfully carry out. For these reasons, it is recommended to stick to more viable options instead because they are more effective in the current metagame than Sunflora.

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
hello That Ivy Guy! you asked for someone to go over this so might as well
alright so first thing is the formatting i guess. just strikethrough for removals and only bold for additions makes it a bit hard to see and distinguish, so using bold colours like blue and red would be easier :)

Dragonite can take hits well thanks to its ability, Multiscale,;(change to semicolon)
no change is needed here; semicolons serve the same purpose as periods (see the semicolon in this sentence). This is a list of things Dragonite can do, so the comma is fine.

finish opponents off with Extreme Speed (add space, caps), and has a Dragon / Flying (caps, spacing) typing which gives it a resistance to Bug-, Fighting-, Fire-, Grass-,(use oxford comma) and Water-type Pokemon. (a pretty long sentence but it seems suitable for an overview.)
good change with Extreme Speed and Dragon / Flying typing. also opponents should be changed to foes, because opponent = the human player you are vsing, while foe = the pokemon you are vsing. not sure which gper made this but why did they make it so hard for newer amcheckers smh
so the major issue here is one of parallelism. let's take this sentence:
"Dragonite can take hits well thanks to its ability, Multiscale, finish opponents off with Extreme Speed, and has a Dragon / Flying typing"
we can deduce that this sentence is saying three things; dragonite can take hits well, finish foes off with extreme speed, and has a dragon/flying typing.
Parallelism basically entails making different parts of a sentence parallel so that they match up with the sentence structure. here, the sentence splits off at "dragonite can", so let's see what three sentences that makes:
- Dragonite can take hits well.
- Dragonite can finish foes off with Extreme Speed.
- Dragonite can has a Dragon / Flying typing.
As you can see, this last sentence doesn't make sense. So instead, let's try cutting the sentence off at "Dragonite".
- Dragonite can take hits well.
- Dragonite finish foes off with Extreme Speed.
- Dragonite has a Dragon / Flying typing.
The second sentence now doesn't make sense. So we have to fix the parallelism issue by making the sentence structure, well, parallel. The best way to do this is probably:
- Dragonite can take hits well thanks to its ability, Multiscale, can finish foes off with Extreme Speed, and has a Dragon / Flying typing
that's a wrap on parallelism, so we'll address the next issue: commas with which
take this sentence:
"Dragonite has a Dragon / Flying typing which gives it a resistance to"
there should be a comma before which, because which clauses have to have commas before them.

Unfortunately, its Dragon / Flying typing makes it 4 times4x weak to Ice-type Pokemon which there are a plethora of which are abundant in the metagame(somewhat more comfortable sentence structure), such as Weavile.
good changes with Flying and 4x. first thing, though: it should just be 4x weak to Ice. You're not 4x weak to the Pokemon, you're weak to either the type or the move. Your subjective change was alright, but "which there are a plethora of" is generally okay. also, going off my other point, there should be a comma before which.

Finally, Stealth Rocks are dangerous for the pseudo legendDragonite because itswitching in causeswill remove a quarter of its HP to be removed(active voice), making it easily get worn down easily.
Stealth Rocks is a big no-no. It is always Stealth Rock. Thus, "are" should also be changed to "is". Very good change changing pseudo legend to Dragonite, because we want to remove fluff. good change switching from passive voice to active voice; however, most gpers don't really care one way or another. regardless, you did a great job with those changes.

very good check, the main issues here were parallelism, which most people don't even know about and is a very complicated topic on its own, and commas before which, which is easy enough to fix. looking forward to seeing more of you, because did well for your first time :)

edit: oops sorry didnt see the guy behind you; ill look over your check as well soon

Last edited:

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Twix

Based on your check, it looks like you have a good grasp on conventional English grammar. All of your punctuation changes were correct, and it seems that you know how to use semicolons and the rules when using them. The problem here is that this sample paragraph was written very casually and had poor flow, so it was open to a lot of subjectivity, making it hard to judge your grammar checking skills. Many of your changes were subjective simply because of the poor original sentence structure. Props to you for doing this paragraph over the other ones though.

Sunflora is an unviable bad Pokémon since it's way it is too slow to sweep, (AC) even with a Speed boost from Chllorophyl Chlorophyll., (RP)(AC) and It's its frailty also causes it be KOd KOed before it can even kill the opponent an opposing Pokémon.
Saying "bad Pokemon" is fine, and Pokemon should be written without the accent (this is written in the Standards). Contractions (it's, there's, etc.) are also allowed, so there's no need to change it. Lastly, "kill" must be changed to "KO". Pokemon do not die; they faint.

It also faces competition with from other Chllorophyl Chlorophyll sweepers in the tier, such as Victreebel and Exeggutor., (RP)(AC) They which are quicker faster and more powerful,. (RC)(AP)
Quicker is fine. Faster and quicker are synonymous. Keep in mind that if the original wording was fine as is then it's best not to change it.

However, Sunflora is more of can be used as a suicide sun setter that has a chance to threaten the foe opposing Pokemon.; (RP) (ASC) however, this tactic is very hard to sucessfully successfully carry out. (AP)
This sentence is open to some subjectivity because of how poor the original sounded. All of these changes are fine except for changing "the foe" to "opposing Pokemon". "The foe" is fine, considering "foe" = "opposing Pokemon" anyway.

and For these reasons, (AC) it is recommended to stick to more viable options (include examples?) instead because they are better more effective in the current metagame unlike than Sunflora.
All of these changes are fine, so good job here. imo adding "for these reasons" just adds fluff, but you are not wrong in doing so.

Your main issues would be Smogon-specific grammar as well as some subjective changes. Familiarizing yourself with the Spelling and Grammar Standards can help you in this regard (Pokemon without accent, foe = opposing Pokemon, KO not kill). Some of your other subjective changes (it's -> it is, quicker -> faster) were unnecessary. Again, if the original wording was fine as is, it's best not to change it. Aside from this, and keeping in mind what I wrote at the beginning, you are on a good start.

For reference, below is how I would have checked it myself:
Sunflora is a bad Pokemon since because (flows better) it's way to too slow to sweep,(AC) even with a Speed boost from Chlorophyll,(AC) and its Chllorophyl.(period) It's frailty also causes it to be KOd KOed before it can even kill KO the opponent foe back. It also faces competition with Chllorophyl from other Chlorophyll sweepers in the tier, such as Victreebel and Exeggutor,(AC) which.(period) They are quicker and more powerful.(period),(RC) however,(RC) Sunflora is more of a suicide Sun sun setter that has a chance to threaten the foe,(AC) but even.(period) However,(RC) this tactic is very hard to sucessfully successfully carry out.(period) It and it is recommended to stick to more viable options (examples) instead because they are better in the current metagame unlike Sunflora.

Last edited:

lotiasite

undedgy
Hi Aminith

You seem to have a good eye and know a lot of Smogon-specific grammar like Fire-types and truncated forme names as well as regular grammar tidbits, so good job.
First thing, though, is that you should use bold for your changes. You use good colours, so that's good, but colouring things like (AC) and bolding your changes makes it easier for everyone.
Gale wings Wings and Refridgerate(this is spelled wrong) Refrigerate checks such as Skarmory, Entei,(AC) Heatran and Doublade are great partners to Shaymin-Sky s .
Good job on Gale Wings, Refrigerate, and the comma. However, Smogon uses the serial comma--i.e the comma before and in a list. So here, it would be after 'Heatran'. Also good to see that you know truncated forme names, but the -S should be capitalised and there should be no space between the S and the period. Good job overall, though.

Hazard control support is also very important for Shaymin - defoggers Defoggers such as Latios & and(you know i really thought you would do Lati@s thing instead of the and, i am shocked by the fact you didn't do that ) Spinners (i learned to not use capitalization in the middle of a sentence when i was in first grade English) spinners such as Excadrill are good for hazard control, while hazard setters like Heatran and Landorus-Therian T are very helpful in wearing can help wear(this sentence can go two ways are seems like a opinion, so can seems better) down the opponents foes, especially Flying types Flying- and Fire types Fire-types(you have to add hyphens and to make things simpler you can just type "Flying-" instead of Flying-types).
Shaymin should be changed to Shaymin-S to differentiate the two. Good job on changing the & to and, because we don't allow &. Not sure if you intentionally did this, but good job changing Spinners to spinners--the two terms we allow for Pokemon that use Rapid Spin are 'Rapid Spin users' and 'spinners'. 'Spinners' and 'Rapid Spinners' aren't allowed. Very good changes with opponents -> foes and Flying-types -> Flying-. imo your subjective change was okay but not really necessary, because the original phrase was fine as is

Teammates like Mega Metagross and Heatran appreciate Shaymins Shaymin-s's ability to decimate bulky Water-types(AC) which would otherwise bother (Which in this sentence seems like present tense, would is future tense) them.
Nice changing Shaymins -> Shaymin-s's, but again, -S should be capitalised. Good call adding the comma after Water-types. However, by removing which, we stuff up the sentence. Read this:
- Teammates like Mega Metagross and Heatran appreciate Shaymin-S's ability to decimate bulky Water-types, would otherwise bother them.
This doesn't make sense. Adding 'would otherwise' was a good call, but there's no need to remove 'which'. If we leave 'which' in:
- Teammates like Mega Metagross and Heatran appreciate Shaymin-S's ability to decimate bulky Water-types, which would otherwise them.
the sentence makes sense.

ShayminShaymin-s(this article is not about Shaymin it's about Shaymin-s) finds itself at home with Volt/Turn VoltTurn Pokemon like Rotom-W and Scizor due to Shaymin's it's ability to abuse(this is a bad word) the momentum granted from Volt Switch and U-Turn(i just noticed that, that's dirty) U-turn.
again, capitalisation. good change with Volt/Turn -> VoltTurn and U-Turn -> U-turn, just things everyone has to be careful about. be careful with it's vs its; if we use 'it's', the sentence reads as: Rotom-W and Scizor due to it is ability, which is not what we want.
the thing i want to address is the change with abuse. you are correct in that 'abuse' is a banned word due to the negative connotations surrounding it. However, you didn't add a word or replacement afterwards, making the sentence read as:
- Pokemon like Rotom-W and Scizor due to its ability to the momentum granted from
as you can see, this doesn't make sense. so we need a suitable replacement for 'abuse'. most gpers use 'take advantage of' or something similar.

( i just think 'Furthermore" would be the most fitting word here, but that's just my opinion)Furthermore(AC) Magnet Pull users such as Heatran make great parters(i really don't have to explain the issue with this) partners(AC) as well removing they can remove Steel types(see that green text read that you have to use hyphens) Steel-types like Skarmory from the field
pretty much perfect. just two things:
- you're missing a period after 'from the field'
- i'm not sure if this is like an AAA analysis or something but Heatran doesn't get Magnet Pull as an ability, so be careful

Overall, you did a great job. You know most grammar conventions and Smogon-specific conventions that are commonplace in analyses. Looking forward to seeing more of you :]

Gonna pull a Fireflame and put an example of how I would've checked it:
Gale Wings and Refridgerate Refrigerate checks such as Skarmory, Entei, Heatran, (AC) and Doublade are great partners to Shaymin-Sky. Hazard control support is also very important for Shaymin— or ;(SC)Defoggers such as Latios & and spinners such as Excadrill are good for hazard control, while hazard setters like Heatran and Landorus-Therian are very helpful in wearing down the opponents foes, especially Flying-(AH) types and Fire-(AH)types. Teammates like Mega Metagross and Heatran appreciate Shaymins Shaymin-S's ability to decimate bulky Water-types, (AC) which bother them. Shaymin-S finds itself at home with Volt/Turn VoltTurn Pokemon like Rotom-W and Scizor due to Shaymin-S's ability to abuse take advantage of the momentum granted from Volt Switch and U-Turn U-turn. Magnet Pull users such as Heatran (see above comment) make great parters partners, as well removing they can remove pesky Steel-(AH)types like Skarmory.

Last edited:
First GP attempt, so here goes

Add
Remove
Comments

(AC)= Add comma

Ground-types(Hyphen) such as Landorus-Therian(Capitalize and add hyphen), Garchomp,(AC) and Swampert-mega Mega Swampert are a problem for Tapu Koko as they are immune to its Electric STABmoves, and can OHKO back with EQ Earthquake (Be specific),.(End Sentence) however However,(AC)they can be killed by Dazzling gleam Gleam or HP ice Hidden Power Ice. Choice Specs let Tapu koko hit hard, but locks you it (Refer to Koko, not the reader)into 1 move unless you it switches out. Pokemon who have high Special defense,(AC) like such as Chansey,(AC) are also a problem because it they (Referring things with high SpDef) lives all of it's its attacks. Tapu Koko is very extremely fast with 130 base base 130 (Personal preference) Speed so it and thus is hard to revenge-kill revenge kill unless you have a scarfer Choice Scarfer.

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
sparkwings

Alright, so based on your check, it seems that you have a good understanding of Smogon-specific grammar and Pokemon terms and a decent grasp of grammar as a whole. Many of your changes were correct. Just familiarize yourself with the Spelling and Grammar Standards a bit more, and most of the errors you made will be fixed.

Ground-types(Hyphen) such as Landorus-Therian(Capitalize and add hyphen), Garchomp,(AC) and Swampert-mega Mega Swampert are a problem for Tapu Koko as they are immune to its Electric STABmoves, and can OHKO back with EQ Earthquake (Be specific),.(End Sentence) however However,(AC)they can be killed by Dazzling gleam Gleam or HP ice Hidden Power Ice.
Good job on hyphenating "Ground-types"; all types should be hyphenated. Your comma addition is perfect because Smogon does use the serial/Oxford comma, and yep Mega Pokemon should be written out as "Mega [Name]". The rest of your changes were fine. "STAB" should be "STAB moves" or "STAB attacks", moves should be capitalized correctly and not written out in abbreviated forms, and if "however" is being used like that, it should be the beginning of the clause that it's in and always have a comma following it.
  • "Landorus-Therian" should be "Landorus-T". That's written in the Standards.
  • Pokemon are not killed; they are KOed.
  • Also, be careful with your bolding when checking. The "its" in "its Electric STAB" wasn't there in the original paragraph so it should be blue, and your addition of "Earthquake" should also be blue.
  • Lastly, there should be a comma before "as". If "as" is being used to mean "because", then a comma must precede it to distinguish that from its other meaning ("while at the same time"), which won't have a comma.

Choice Specs let Tapu koko hit hard, but locks you it(Refer to Koko, not the reader)into 1 move unless you it switches out.
Your changes are good here. Analyses should refer to the Pokemon and not the reader, so good eye there.
  • Be careful with subject-verb agreement here. "Choice Specs" is one item, so it lets Tapu Koko hit hard.
  • The "K" in Koko should be capitalized.
  • Note that numbers are best written out, so it should be "one".
  • A more difficult error to see that you missed was the comma before "but". That comma should not be there because it separates a dependent clause (a part of a sentence that can grammatically stand alone in its own sentence) after the conjunction (being "but"). "Locks it into one move unless it switches out" doesn't make sense as its own sentence, so there should be no comma before it. More details about this rule can be found here.

Pokemon who have high Special defence,(AC) like such as Chansey,(AC) are also a problem because it they (Referring things with high SpDef) lives all of it's its attacks.
"It's" -> "its" is good, and "they" is correct because the subject is plural. There are some things you missed though.
  • Pokemon shouldn't be referred to with gendered pronouns or "who"; they should be referred to as "that" or "which" depending on the sentence.
  • "Defense" in "Special Defense" should be capitalized, and it's written with an "S" and not a "C" (idk why it's changed in your check when the original had that mistake).
  • "Like" is completely fine and didn't have to be changed to "such as" because they are synonymous. You also didn't have to isolate that part with those commas, so it's best to leave the original as is.
  • Lastly, "live" should be changed to "survive". You don't live a car crash, you survive a car crash. Same thing here.

Tapu Koko is very extremely fast with 130 base base 130 (Personal preference) Speed so it and thus is hard to revenge-kill revenge kill unless you have a scarfer Choice Scarfer.
Yeah revenge kill is not hyphenated. While you are correct in making it "base 130", it isn't a personal preference. "Base" must precede the number when talking about a base stat.
  • "Very" -> "extremely" and "so it" -> "and thus" are both unnecessary. Both were fine as is; remember that if the original wording is fine, it is best not to change it. Just note that the "so" should have a comma preceding it. If "so" is being used to mean "therefore", then there should be a comma before it. If it's being used to mean "with the aim/goal that", then the comma is not needed.
  • "Choice Scarfer" should be changed to "Choice Scarf user". You don't say "Choice Bander" or "Choice Specser", right?

Your main issue would be subjective changes. "Like" -> "such as", "very" -> "extremely", and "so it" -> and thus" were all unnecessary. Again, if the original wording was fine as is, then it's best not to change it in order to preserve the author's writing style. Familiarizing yourself with the Spelling and Grammar Standards more can also make you patch up a few of the errors you missed. Hope to see more of you in the future!

For reference, below is how I would have checked it myself:
Ground-(AH)types such as Landorus therian Landorus-T, Garchomp,(AC) and Swampert-mega Mega Swampert are a problem for Tapu Koko,(AC) as they are immune to its Electric STAB,(RC) moves and can OHKO it back with EQ,(RC) Earthquake.(period) However,(AC) they can be killed KOed by Dazzling Gleam or HP Hidden Power Ice. Choice Specs let lets Tapu Koko hit hard,(RC) but locks you it into 1 one move unless you switch it switches out. Pokemon who that have high Special defence Defense like Chansey are also a problem because it lives they survive all of it's its attacks. Tapu Koko is very fast with base 130 base spe Speed,(AC) so it is hard to revenge-(RH)kill unless you have a scarferChoice Scarf user.

Last edited:
amcheck on Garchomp
Additions
Removals
Garchomp has a really good Ground/Dragon-typing and the ability Rough Skin which allows it to the opposing Pokemon to take damage you when you make contact with it. Fairies Fairy-types can switch-in to Garchomp since Outrage doesn't effect them but they must be weary of Earthquake. Garchomp can also setup Stealth Rocks to weaken the opponent's team when they switch in to a different Pokemon. It can also run a Defensive set, (RC) with Rocky Helmet and Dragon Tail, (AC) and it can also utilise a Z-Earthquake Tectonic Rage set with SD Swords Dance and an aAdamant Nnature, so that it OHKOs things like Heatran.

Hopefully i did alright!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)