LC Goldeen

[OVERVIEW]

Goldeen has a fantastic ability in Lightning Rod, allowing it to be a great check to Electric-types such as Chinchou and Magnemite; it can also directly threaten them with Drill Run, making it one of the best stops to Volt Switch in the metagame. Its Water typing provides it with useful resistances to Water-, Ice-, and Steel-type attacks, which are commonly run as coverage by LC's premier Volt Switch users. Goldeen's movepool has useful options such as Knock Off, Megahorn, and specifically Bounce, which can be used alongside a Flyinium Z to let Goldeen lure in and KO Grass- and Fighting-types. Goldeen's good Attack and Speed allow it to put some offensive pressure on the opposing team. However, Goldeen generally faces competition as a physically offensive Water-type from the likes of Corphish, which has extremely strong STAB attacks thanks to Adaptability and access to Dragon Dance and Swords Dance, and Carvanha, which hits harder, more consistently breaks through Grass-types, and has Speed Boost to outpace normally faster Pokemon. Goldeen's bad bulk also doesn't help its case, as it takes massive damage from powerful neutral hits and will almost always get OHKOed by super effective attacks. Finally, Goldeen lacks a good way to hit bulky Water- and Flying-types as well as Grass- and Fighting-types after Supersonic Skystrike has been used up, meaning that it can be walled fairly easily by Pokemon like Timburr and Foongus.

[SET]
name: Supersonic Skystrike
move 1: Bounce
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Drill Run
move 4: Knock Off
item: Flyinium Z
ability: Lightning Rod
nature: Jolly
evs: 220 Atk / 36 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bounce can be turned into Supersonic Skystrike, a powerful 160-Base Power attack that allows Goldeen to be a lure for Fighting- and Grass-types, most notably Timburr and Foongus, and OHKO them after their Eviolites have been removed. Waterfall is Goldeen's most reliable STAB move, hitting Ground- and Fire-types super effectively. Drill Run works with Lightning Rod to allow Goldeen to check Electric-types both defensively and offensively, hitting Pokemon such as Chinchou and Elekid for super effective damage. Knock Off is used to remove Eviolite from bulky switch-ins to Goldeen, such as Foongus and Mareanie, and helps it achieve more KOs with Supersonic Skystrike. It also hits Ghost-types such as Frillish and Pumpkaboo-XL, both of which can otherwise wall Goldeen. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types such as Spritzee and Snubbull super effectively. However, it forces you to drop an essential move in either Waterfall or Knock Off.

Set Details
========

The listed Attack and Speed EVs with a Jolly nature allow Goldeen to hit as hard and fast as possible while outspeeding threats such as Pawniard and Berry Juice Magnemite. 36 Special Defense EVs allow Goldeen to nearly always take two Flash Cannons from Magnemite, helping it check it better. Flyinium Z is mandatory for turning Bounce into Supersonic Skystrike. Lightning Rod is the only reason to use Goldeen, as it allows it to check Electric-types effectively.

Usage Tips
========

Goldeen should often be switched into Electric-types, as its poor bulk prevents it from switching into much else. Supersonic Skystrike should be used carefully due to its one-time-use nature. If there are no Fighting- or Grass-types on the opponent's team, you can use Supersonic Skystrike as a powerful attack to break walls down. Before using Supersonic Skystrike, it is best to use Knock Off to remove a potential Eviolite on the foe you'd like to hit with the move. As most Electric-types will switch out of Goldeen, you should use Knock Off when you predict a switch to remove the foe's item. If you predict a switch into a bulkier foe like Foongus or Timburr, you should Knock Off so that you can follow up with a Supersonic Skystrike. However, Goldeen should be wary when trying to check Elekid in case of Hidden Power Grass, which has a slight chance of OHKOing Goldeen, meaning it must stay healthy throughout the match if it wants to reliably check Elekid. Knock Off should be used early- and mid-game in order to cripple the opponent's Pokemon. Goldeen should avoid getting worn down, as it will struggle to check the things it needs to if it is significantly weakened.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can remove entry hazards such as Staryu and Vullaby are invaluable as teammates, as Goldeen will often be switching in and out constantly against Electric-types. In return, Goldeen can switch into the Electric-types that threaten these Pokemon. Clerics such as Spritzee and Snubbull can remove status that cripples Goldeen such as Scald burns from Chinchou. Pokemon that can take care of Water-types, such as Snivy and Magnemite, can help Goldeen do its role much more easily. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Drilbur let Goldeen get certain KOs with Supersonic Skystrike that it would not get otherwise such as against bulkier variants of Mienfoo. Water- and Flying-types appreciate Goldeen's ability to wall Electric-types. If Goldeen is paired with another Water-type, an answer to Grass-types such as a Fire- or Flying-type is needed. Flying-types in particular are great partners for Goldeen, as they can break through Grass- and Fighting-types such as Foongus and Timburr after Supersonic Skystrike has been used. Electric-types such as Elekid and Chinchou can take care of Flying-types such as Doduo.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Aqua Tail is a more powerful option over Waterfall, but it's less reliable due to its poor accuracy. Eviolite or Life Orb can be used instead of Flyinium Z, but this leaves Goldeen walled by Fighting- and Grass-types. A mixed attacking set can work, but it's too reliant on getting boosts from Lightning Rod, as Goldeen's Special Attack is rather low. Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit Ferroseed, but it doesn't provide much coverage overall. Megahorn is a strong 120-Base Power Bug-type move, but it doesn't provide much coverage that Goldeen doesn't already have on the main set.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Ferroseed**: Ferroseed takes neutral damage from Supersonic Skystrike, can set entry hazards up in front of Goldeen, and KOes it with Bullet Seed.

**Other Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Snivy can be difficult for Goldeen to face if Supersonic Skystrike has already been used, as this forces Goldeen to attack with the unreliable Bounce to deal with them. Cottonee can cripple Goldeen with Stun Spore or lower its stats with Memento for a setup sweeper to come in. Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL are both bulky enough to survive a Supersonic Strike from full HP and can OHKO Goldeen with Giga Drain.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types such as Slowpoke and Mareanie can attempt to burn Goldeen with Scald. They must watch out for Knock Off, however.

**Status**: Goldeen does not appreciate status, as it hurts its offensive presence. As it often switches in to Chinchou and Staryu, it is prone to getting burned by Scald. It also dislikes getting paralyzed, but Lightning Rod helps with this by giving it an immunity to Thunder Wave.

**Entry Hazards**: As Goldeen often switches in on Electric-types, it is prone to being weakened by Stealth Rock and Spikes.

Last edited:

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
this is an amcheck, and does not count as an official one

[OVERVIEW]
• Merge the third point with the first point. ("it is a good counter to Electric-types such as Chinchou and Magnemite, making it one of the best stops to Volt Switch" or something like that)
• I think you should mention that Goldeen doesn't really have the best bulk in the world and that it can get worn down easily.

[SET]
• Remove Scald here, put it in OO or something, its very weak even when boosted 1 stage and Goldeen should have a physical STAB.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
• I think you can provide some calcs on Supersonic Skystrike; what does it OHKO?
• Remove Scald mentions

Set Details
========
• The way you phrase 17 Speed makes it seem like it outspeeds important mons like Pawniard. I would probably merge the Jolly point with the first point anyways.

Usage Tips
========
• Goldeen should ONLY be switching in on Electric-type moves; its poor bulk doesnt allow it to switch in on much else.
• Mention something about when to use Supersonic Skystrike as its one time use.
• If no other Grass or Fighting types are left, just say Skystrike can be used as a nuke to KO a mon that none of the other moves could.

Team Options
========
• Pokemon that get rid of Water-types, such as Grass- and Electric-types can help Goldeen do its role more easily.
• Entry hazard support helps Goldeen with getting KOs from Supersonic Skystrike.
• I would emphasize more on Flying-types being great partners to Goldeen.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
• Scald goes here.

Checks and Counters
===================
• Mention bulky Water-types here that can 2HKO Goldeen.
• Grass-types deserve a mention since once Skystrike has been used, Goldeen will have difficulty dealing with them.

this is an amcheck, and does not count as an official one

[OVERVIEW]
• Merge the third point with the first point. ("it is a good counter to Electric-types such as Chinchou and Magnemite, making it one of the best stops to Volt Switch" or something like that)
• I think you should mention that Goldeen doesn't really have the best bulk in the world and that it can get worn down easily.

[SET]
• Remove Scald here, put it in OO or something, its very weak even when boosted 1 stage and Goldeen should have a physical STAB.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
• I think you can provide some calcs on Supersonic Skystrike; what does it OHKO?
• Remove Scald mentions

Set Details
========
• The way you phrase 17 Speed makes it seem like it outspeeds important mons like Pawniard. I would probably merge the Jolly point with the first point anyways.

Usage Tips
========
• Goldeen should ONLY be switching in on Electric-type moves; its poor bulk doesnt allow it to switch in on much else.
• Mention something about when to use Supersonic Skystrike as its one time use.
• If no other Grass or Fighting types are left, just say Skystrike can be used as a nuke to KO a mon that none of the other moves could.

Team Options
========
• Pokemon that get rid of Water-types, such as Grass- and Electric-types can help Goldeen do its role more easily.
• Entry hazard support helps Goldeen with getting KOs from Supersonic Skystrike.
• I would emphasize more on Flying-types being great partners to Goldeen.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
• Scald goes here.

Checks and Counters
===================
• Mention bulky Water-types here that can 2HKO Goldeen.
• Grass-types deserve a mention since once Skystrike has been used, Goldeen will have difficulty dealing with them.
Implemented!

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
* Tell us exactly why Lightning Rod allows Goldeen to check Electric-types (gives it an immunity to Electric-type attacks).
* Add that alongside Goldeen's Lightning Rod ability, its Water-typing provides it with useful resistances to Water-, Ice- and Steel-type attacks, which are commonly run as coverage by LC's premier Volt Switch users.
* I think that Goldeen's other coverage here is also worth mentioning. Talk about its access to useful options like Knock Off and Megahorn and specifically Bounce, which can be used alongside a Flynium Z to lure in Grass-types (this is important to add considering the analysis revolves around its Z-bounce set).
* I think its important to add that as a physically offensive Water-type, Goldeen generally faces competition from the likes of Corphish, who has extremely strong STAB attacks thanks to Adaptibility and its access to Dragon Dance/Swords Dance, and Carvanha, who hits harder, more consistently breaks Grass-types and has Speed Boost.
* I feel like Goldeen's frailty should be emphasized a little more here. Not only can Goldeen not switch in, but it takes massive damage from powerful neutral hits and will always die to super effective attacks. Add this.

Set
Solid enough, but change the set name in removing all caps.

Moves
* I don't know if I like the way your Bounce line is worded, since it seems to me like Goldeen would use Knock Off first before hitting Timburr or Foongus with Supersonic Strike. Say that it KOs both threats once their eviolites have been removed and remove any other mentions you currently have of calcs.
* Specify in your Drill Run line that it allows Goldeen to check Electric-types both offensively and defensively.
* Don't use Munchlax as an example of a switch-in to Goldeen. It's not very relevant and takes quite a bit of damage from Waterfall if it's Berry Juice. Replace Munchlax with both Foongus and Mareanie, since both are realistic switch-ins and one example isn't enough.
* I think that Poison Jab is good enough on Goldeen to be mentioned here, just not on the main set. Add it here and say that it's useful for hitting Grass-types like Cottonee and Snover without wasting your Z move, and can also hit Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull super effectively. Say that its drawback is the loss of either Waterfall or Knock Off.

Set Details
* Give another example of a Pokemon Goldeen can outspeed with its given investment, one isn't enough (Berry Juice Magnemite is a good second example).
* I wouldn't say that the Special Defense investment allows Goldeen to check any special attackers. Instead just say that it's useful for raising Goldeen's Special Defense by a point, since it doesn't really save Goldeen from any notable KOs.
* Elaborate a little in your Lightning Rod line. What exactly does Lightning Rod do for Goldeen to allow it to check Electric-types? Explain.

Usage Tips
* This whole section honestly just feels a bit empty. You can add to it in saying that it is mandatory for Goldeen to use Knock Off if predicting a switch into a foe like Foongus or Timburr, as without their Eviolites removed, both Pokemon will live Supersonic Strike and KO Goldeen in return.
* Clarify in your second line that before using Supersonic Strike, it is best that if the foe you'd like to hit with the move has an Eviolite that the Eviolite's removed with Knock Off.
* Add that Goldeen should be wary when attempting to check Elekid. Elekid's Hidden Power Grass has a small chance to OHKO Goldeen from full, so if it wants to check Elekid it should do its best to remain healthy throughout the match.

Team Options
* Replace Lickitung with Snubbull as an example of a Pokemon that provides Goldeen with cleric support, as Lickitung isn't relevant.
* Replace "Grass- and Electric-types" with actual examples of Water-type checks in your line regarding Water-type checks, as it's currently a little unspecific.
* Give more than one example of Pokemon that can support Goldeen with entry hazards.
* Give examples of KOs Goldeen gets with Supersonic Strike after Stealth Rock that it wouldn't otherwise in your entry hazard support line. Make sure to use Damage Calculator to verify first!

Other Options
* Why exactly is Aqua Tail less reliable than Waterfall? Explain (its worse accuracy).
* Remove your Rain Dance mention entirely. It's totally outclassed and not good enough to warrant being mentioned here.
* In your Hidden Power Fire line, replace the word 'power' with 'coverage'
* Remove your Poison Jab line since I'm having you mention Poison Jab in moves.
* Clarify in your Scald line that it's a bit weak due to Goldeen's poor Special Attack stat.

Checks and Counters
* Replace Frillish with Mareanie in your bulky Water-types section, since Mareanie is far more relevant.
* Replace Foongus with Snivy and also use Cottonee as an example in your Grass-types line. Then, specifically mention Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL as Pokemon that are bulky enough to take a Supersonic Strike from full and KO Goldeen with Giga Drain (that's why I'm having you remove Foongus's earlier mention).

Edit: can't believe i forgot about this, but ferroseed absolutely deserves a specific mention. It takes neutral damage from Supersonic Strike, can set up hazards in front of Goldeen, and KO it with Bullet Seed. If anything, it's a full on counter.

Make absolute sure you implement everything here, since it's a lot, and give yourself 1/3 afterward

Last edited:
Overview
* Tell us exactly why Lightning Rod allows Goldeen to check Electric-types (gives it an immunity to Electric-type attacks).
* Add that alongside Goldeen's Lightning Rod ability, its Water-typing provides it with useful resistances to Water-, Ice- and Steel-type attacks, which are commonly run as coverage by LC's premier Volt Switch users.
* I think that Goldeen's other coverage here is also worth mentioning. Talk about its access to useful options like Knock Off and Megahorn and specifically Bounce, which can be used alongside a Flynium Z to lure in Grass-types (this is important to add considering the analysis revolves around its Z-bounce set).
* I think its important to add that as a physically offensive Water-type, Goldeen generally faces competition from the likes of Corphish, who has extremely strong STAB attacks thanks to Adaptibility and its access to Dragon Dance/Swords Dance, and Carvanha, who hits harder, more consistently breaks Grass-types and has Speed Boost.
* I feel like Goldeen's frailty should be emphasized a little more here. Not only can Goldeen not switch in, but it takes massive damage from powerful neutral hits and will always die to super effective attacks. Add this.

Set
Solid enough, but change the set name in removing all caps.

Moves
* I don't know if I like the way your Bounce line is worded, since it seems to me like Goldeen would use Knock Off first before hitting Timburr or Foongus with Supersonic Strike. Say that it KOs both threats once their eviolites have been removed and remove any other mentions you currently have of calcs.
* Specify in your Drill Run line that it allows Goldeen to check Electric-types both offensively and defensively.
* Don't use Munchlax as an example of a switch-in to Goldeen. It's not very relevant and takes quite a bit of damage from Waterfall if it's Berry Juice. Replace Munchlax with both Foongus and Mareanie, since both are realistic switch-ins and one example isn't enough.
* I think that Poison Jab is good enough on Goldeen to be mentioned here, just not on the main set. Add it here and say that it's useful for hitting Grass-types like Cottonee and Snover without wasting your Z move, and can also hit Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull super effectively. Say that its drawback is the loss of either Waterfall or Knock Off.

Set Details
* Give another example of a Pokemon Goldeen can outspeed with its given investment, one isn't enough (Berry Juice Magnemite is a good second example).
* I wouldn't say that the Special Defense investment allows Goldeen to check any special attackers. Instead just say that it's useful for raising Goldeen's Special Defense by a point, since it doesn't really save Goldeen from any notable KOs.
* Elaborate a little in your Lightning Rod line. What exactly does Lightning Rod do for Goldeen to allow it to check Electric-types? Explain.

Usage Tips
* This whole section honestly just feels a bit empty. You can add to it in saying that it is mandatory for Goldeen to use Knock Off if predicting a switch into a foe like Foongus or Timburr, as without their Eviolites removed, both Pokemon will live Supersonic Strike and KO Goldeen in return.
* Clarify in your second line that before using Supersonic Strike, it is best that if the foe you'd like to hit with the move has an Eviolite that the Eviolite's removed with Knock Off.
* Add that Goldeen should be wary when attempting to check Elekid. Elekid's Hidden Power Grass has a small chance to OHKO Goldeen from full, so if it wants to check Elekid it should do its best to remain healthy throughout the match.

Team Options
* Replace Lickitung with Snubbull as an example of a Pokemon that provides Goldeen with cleric support, as Lickitung isn't relevant.
* Replace "Grass- and Electric-types" with actual examples of Water-type checks in your line regarding Water-type checks, as it's currently a little unspecific.
* Give more than one example of Pokemon that can support Goldeen with entry hazards.
* Give examples of KOs Goldeen gets with Supersonic Strike after Stealth Rock that it wouldn't otherwise in your entry hazard support line. Make sure to use Damage Calculator to verify first!

Other Options
* Why exactly is Aqua Tail less reliable than Waterfall? Explain (its worse accuracy).
* Remove your Rain Dance mention entirely. It's totally outclassed and not good enough to warrant being mentioned here.
* In your Hidden Power Fire line, replace the word 'power' with 'coverage'
* Remove your Poison Jab line since I'm having you mention Poison Jab in moves.
* Clarify in your Scald line that it's a bit weak due to Goldeen's poor Special Attack stat.

Checks and Counters
* Replace Frillish with Mareanie in your bulky Water-types section, since Mareanie is far more relevant.
* Replace Foongus with Snivy and also use Cottonee as an example in your Grass-types line. Then, specifically mention Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL as Pokemon that are bulky enough to take a Supersonic Strike from full and KO Goldeen with Giga Drain (that's why I'm having you remove Foongus's earlier mention).

Edit: can't believe i forgot about this, but ferroseed absolutely deserves a specific mention. It takes neutral damage from Supersonic Strike, can set up hazards in front of Goldeen, and KO it with Bullet Seed. If anything, it's a full on counter.

Make absolute sure you implement everything here, since it's a lot, and give yourself 1/3 afterward
Implemented, sorry for the wait!

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • Mention that Goldeen lacks a good way to hit bulky Water- and Flying-types, as well as Grass- and Fighting-types hard after using SSSS, meaning it can easily be walled. Also mention examples here (Mareanie, Vullaby, Foongus, Timburr).
  • Specify that Goldeen carves a niche for itself thanks to its ability when you mention that it faces competition from other Waters
  • Mention Goldeen's lack of reliable recovery means that it struggles to check Electric-types consistently, as it is easily worn down.
  • Mention that Goldeen faces competition from Chinchou as a check to Electric-types, as it shares Goldeen's set of resistances to common coverage, but can use Volt Switch of its own to gain momentum for its team. Also mention that Goldeen's movepool gives it a minor niche over Chinchou.
[SET]

item: Flynium Z
  • Switch around the order of moves. Since Waterfall is Goldeen's STAB move, it should be second, right after the move that defines the set (Bounce). Next is Drill Run, which is its most important coverage move to hit the Electric-types it checks
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Make sure the order here matches the new one in the set.
  • Your Drill Run sentence is reduntant. You pretty much say 'it hits Electric-types and is important to hit Electric-types'. Try to reword it
  • Mention that Knock Off also hits Ghost-types like Pumpkaboo and Frillish hard, both of which can otherwise stop Goldeen. Also mention that it removing Eviolites allows Goldeen to achieve certain KOes with SSSS.
Set Details
========
  • Mention that the 36 SpD EVs allow Goldeen to nearly always take two Flash Cannons from Magnemite, allowing it to check it better. If you don't mention this, it's not clear why you would place the EVs in SpD and not in Def.
Usage Tips
========
  • Mention using Knock Off a lot in the early- and mid-game in order to cripple the opponent's Pokemon.
  • Mention to avoid letting Goldeen get worn down, as it will struggle to check the things it needs to if it is significantly weakened and it has no recovery.
Team Options
========
  • Mention ways to get rid of bulky Flying- and Fighting-types (after SSSS has been used)
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Mention Eviolite and Life Orb as item options (gets worn down less easily/wallbreaks more easily), but say that a lack of SSSS means that Goldeen struggles to break Grasses and Fighters
  • What does Megahorn hit? There has to be something, since it's in oo. If there's nothing, remove it.
Checks and Counters
===================
  • Ferroseed can't cripple Goldeen with Thunder Wave because of Lightning Rod
QC 2/3, write me up Scotty

[OVERVIEW]
  • Mention that Goldeen lacks a good way to hit bulky Water- and Flying-types, as well as Grass- and Fighting-types hard after using SSSS, meaning it can easily be walled. Also mention examples here (Mareanie, Vullaby, Foongus, Timburr).
  • Specify that Goldeen carves a niche for itself thanks to its ability when you mention that it faces competition from other Waters
  • Mention Goldeen's lack of reliable recovery means that it struggles to check Electric-types consistently, as it is easily worn down.
  • Mention that Goldeen faces competition from Chinchou as a check to Electric-types, as it shares Goldeen's set of resistances to common coverage, but can use Volt Switch of its own to gain momentum for its team. Also mention that Goldeen's movepool gives it a minor niche over Chinchou.
[SET]

item: Flynium Z
  • Switch around the order of moves. Since Waterfall is Goldeen's STAB move, it should be second, right after the move that defines the set (Bounce). Next is Drill Run, which is its most important coverage move to hit the Electric-types it checks
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Make sure the order here matches the new one in the set.
  • Your Drill Run sentence is reduntant. You pretty much say 'it hits Electric-types and is important to hit Electric-types'. Try to reword it
  • Mention that Knock Off also hits Ghost-types like Pumpkaboo and Frillish hard, both of which can otherwise stop Goldeen. Also mention that it removing Eviolites allows Goldeen to achieve certain KOes with SSSS.
Set Details
========
  • Mention that the 36 SpD EVs allow Goldeen to nearly always take two Flash Cannons from Magnemite, allowing it to check it better. If you don't mention this, it's not clear why you would place the EVs in SpD and not in Def.
Usage Tips
========
  • Mention using Knock Off a lot in the early- and mid-game in order to cripple the opponent's Pokemon.
  • Mention to avoid letting Goldeen get worn down, as it will struggle to check the things it needs to if it is significantly weakened and it has no recovery.
Team Options
========
  • Mention ways to get rid of bulky Flying- and Fighting-types (after SSSS has been used)
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Mention Eviolite and Life Orb as item options (gets worn down less easily/wallbreaks more easily), but say that a lack of SSSS means that Goldeen struggles to break Grasses and Fighters
  • What does Megahorn hit? There has to be something, since it's in oo. If there's nothing, remove it.
Checks and Counters
===================
  • Ferroseed can't cripple Goldeen with Thunder Wave because of Lightning Rod
QC 2/3, write me up Scotty

Written up! Thanks again to OP for the final push.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Because you've listed Ferroseed as the first counter, change the second section under Checks & Counters to "Other Grass-types" instead of just "Grass-types". Additionally, take the Bulky Water-types section and put it above Entry Hazards and Status. Then you're all good!!

Excellent work, QC 3/3

Because you've listed Ferroseed as the first counter, change the second section under Checks & Counters to "Other Grass-types" instead of just "Grass-types". Additionally, take the Bulky Water-types section and put it above Entry Hazards and Status. Then you're all good!!

Excellent work, QC 3/3
Implemented :]

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Goldeen has a fantastic ability in Lightning Rod, which gives it an immunity to Electric-type attacks, allowing it to be a great check to Electric-types such as Chinchou and Magnemite and directly threaten them with Drill Run, making it one of the best stops to Volt Switch in the metagame. Alongside Lightning Rod, its Water typing (RH) provides it with useful resistances to Water-, Ice- and Steel-type attacks, which are commonly run as coverage by LC's premier Volt Switch users. Goldeen's movepool also provides it with access to useful options such as Knock Off, Megahorn, (AC) and specifically Bounce, which can be used alongside a Flyinium Z to lure in Grass- and Fighting-types and KO them. Its good Attack and Speed allow it to put some offensive pressure on the opposing team. However, as a physically offensive Water-type, Goldeen generally faces competition from the likes of Corphish, who which has extremely strong STAB attacks thanks to Adaptability and its access to Dragon Dance and Swords Dance, and Carvanha, who which hits harder, more consistently breaks Grass-types, (AC) and has Speed Boost. (allowing it to do what?) Goldeen's bad bulk also doesn't help its case, making it hard to switch into a non-Electric-type attack, as it takes massive damage from powerful neutral hits and will almost always get OHKOed by super effective attacks. Finally, Goldeen lacks a good way to hit bulky Water- and Flying-types, as well as Grass- and Fighting-types after Supersonic Skystrike has been used up, meaning that it can be walled fairly easily by Pokemon such as Timburr and Foongus.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bounce can be powered up turned into Supersonic Skystrike, a powerful 160-Base (AH) Power attack that allows Goldeen to lure in Fighting- and Grass-types, most notably Timburr and Foongus, and OHKOing them after their Eviolites have been removed. Waterfall is Goldeen's most reliable STAB move, hitting Ground- and Fire-types super effectively. Drill Run allows Goldeen to check Electric-types both defensively and offensively, hitting Pokemon such as Chinchou and Elekid for super effective damage. Knock Off is used to remove Eviolite from bulky switch-ins (AH) to Goldeen, such as Foongus and Mareanie, (AC) and also helps it achieve KOes more KOs with Supersonic Skystrike. It also hits Ghost-types such as Frillish and Pumpkaboo-Super, as Pumpkaboo-XL, both of which can otherwise wall Goldeen. Poison Jab can also be used to hit Fairy-types such as Spritzee and Snubbull super effectively. However, it forces you to drop either Waterfall or Knock Off, which are both very essential for Goldeen.

Set Details
========

The listed Attack and Speed EVs with a Jolly Nature nature are maximized so that allow Goldeen can to hit as hard and fast as possible (RC) while outspeeding threats such as Pawniard and Berry Juice Magnemite. 36 SpD Special Defense EVs allow Goldeen to nearly always take two Flash Cannons from Magnemite, helping it check it better. Flyinium Z is mandatory to power up turn Bounce into Supersonic Skystrike. Lightning Rod is the only reason to use Goldeen, as it allows it to check Electric-types effectively due to it by giving Goldeen an immunity to them and allowing it to check them with Drill Run.

Usage Tips
========

Goldeen should often be switched into Electric-types, as its poor bulk prevents it from switching into much else. Supersonic Skystrike should be used carefully due to its one-time-use (AH) nature. If there are no Fighting- or Grass-types on the opponent's team, you can use Supersonic Skystrike as a powerful attack to break down walls. Before using Supersonic Skystrike, it is best that if the foe you'd like to hit with the move has an Eviolite, the to use Knock Off to remove potential Eviolites should be removed with Knock Off on the foe you'd like to hit with the move. As most Electric-types will switch out of Goldeen, you should use Knock Off when you predict a switch to remove the foe's item. If you predict a switch into a bulkier foe like Foongus or Timburr, you should Knock Off so that you can follow up with a Supersonic Skystrike. However, Goldeen should be wary when trying to check Elekid in case of Hidden Power Grass, which has a slight chance to OHKO Goldeen, meaning it must stay healthy throughout the match if it wants to reliably check Elekid. Knock Off should be used early- and mid-game in order to cripple the opponent's Pokemon. Goldeen should avoid getting worn down, as it will struggle to check the things it needs to if it is significantly weakened.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can remove entry hazards, such as Staryu and Vullaby, are invaluable as teammates, (AC) as Goldeen will often be switching in and out constantly against Electric-types. In return, Goldeen can switch into the Electric-types that threaten these Pokemon. Clerics such as Spritzee and Snubbull can remove cripping status from Goldeen, such as Scald burns from Chinchou. Pokemon that can take care of Water-types, such as Snivy and Magnemite can help Goldeen do its role much more easily. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Drilbur help Goldeen get certain KOs with Supersonic Skystrike that it would not get otherwise, such as against bulkier variants of Mienfoo. Water- and Flying-types appreciate Goldeen's ability to wall Electric-types. If pairing Goldeen is paired with another Water-type, an answer to Grass-types, such as a Fire- and or Flying-types, is needed. Flying-types in particular are a great partners for Goldeen, (AC) as they can break down Grass- and Fighting-types such as Foongus and Timburr after Supersonic Skystrike has already been used. Electric-types such as Elekid and Chinchou can take care of Flying-types such as Doduo thanks to their Electric-type STAB attacks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Aqua Tail is a more powerful option over Waterfall, but it's more unreliable due to its poor accuracy. Eviolite and Life Orb can be used instead of Flyinium Z, but this leaves Goldeen walled by Fighting- and Grass-types. A mixed attacking set can work, but it's too overreliant on getting boosts from Lightning Rod, as Goldeen's Special Attack is rather low. Hidden Power Fire can be used for Ferroseed, but it doesn't provide much coverage overall. Megahorn is a strong 120 base power 120-Base Power Bug-type move, but it doesn't provide much coverage that Goldeen doesn't already have on the main set.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Ferroseed**: Ferroseed takes neutral damage from Supersonic Skystrike, (AC) and can set up entry hazards in front of Goldeen, and KOes it with Bullet Seed.

**Other Grass-types**: Grass-types (RC) such as Snivy can be difficult for Goldeen to face if Supersonic Skystrike has already been used, as this forces Goldeen to rely on the unreliable Bounce to deal with them. Cottonee can cripple Goldeen with Stun Spore or lower its stats with Memento for a setup sweeper to come in. Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL are both bulky enough to survive a Supersonic Strike from full HP and can OHKO Goldeen with Giga Drain.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types (RC) such as Slowpoke and Mareanie can attempt to burn Goldeen with Scald. They both must watch out for Knock Off, however.

**Status**: Goldeen does not appreciate status, as it hurts its offensive presence. As it often switches in to Chinchou and Staryu, it is prone to getting burnt burned by Scald. It also dislikes getting paralyzed, but Lightning Rod helps with this as it gives it an immunity to Thunder Wave.

**Entry Hazards**: As Goldeen often switches in on Electric-types, it is prone to being weakened by entry hazards such as Stealth Rock and Spikes.

Last edited:
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Goldeen has a fantastic ability in Lightning Rod, which gives it an immunity to Electric-type attacks, allowing it to be a great check to Electric-types such as Chinchou and Magnemite and directly threaten them with Drill Run, making it one of the best stops to Volt Switch in the metagame. Alongside Lightning Rod, its Water typing (RH) provides it with useful resistances to Water-, Ice- and Steel-type attacks, which are commonly run as coverage by LC's premier Volt Switch users. Goldeen's movepool also provides it with access to useful options such as Knock Off, Megahorn, (AC) and specifically Bounce, which can be used alongside a Flyinium Z to lure in Grass- and Fighting-types and KO them. Its good Attack and Speed allow it to put some offensive pressure on the opposing team. However, as a physically offensive Water-type, Goldeen generally faces competition from the likes of Corphish, who which has extremely strong STAB attacks thanks to Adaptability and its access to Dragon Dance and Swords Dance, and Carvanha, who which hits harder, more consistently breaks Grass-types, (AC) and has Speed Boost. (allowing it to do what?) Goldeen's bad bulk also doesn't help its case, making it hard to switch into a non-Electric-type attack, as it takes massive damage from powerful neutral hits and will almost always get OHKOed by super effective attacks. Finally, Goldeen lacks a good way to hit bulky Water- and Flying-types, as well as Grass- and Fighting-types after Supersonic Skystrike has been used up, meaning that it can be walled fairly easily by Pokemon such as Timburr and Foongus.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bounce can be powered up turned into Supersonic Skystrike, a powerful 160-Base (AH) Power attack that allows Goldeen to lure in Fighting- and Grass-types, most notably Timburr and Foongus, and OHKOing them after their Eviolites have been removed. Waterfall is Goldeen's most reliable STAB move, hitting Ground- and Fire-types super effectively. Drill Run allows Goldeen to check Electric-types both defensively and offensively, hitting Pokemon such as Chinchou and Elekid for super effective damage. Knock Off is used to remove Eviolite from bulky switch-ins (AH) to Goldeen, such as Foongus and Mareanie, (AC) and also helps it achieve KOes more KOs with Supersonic Skystrike. It also hits Ghost-types such as Frillish and Pumpkaboo-Super, as Pumpkaboo-XL, both of which can otherwise wall Goldeen. Poison Jab can also be used to hit Fairy-types such as Spritzee and Snubbull super effectively. However, it forces you to drop either Waterfall or Knock Off, which are both very essential for Goldeen.

Set Details
========

The listed Attack and Speed EVs with a Jolly Nature nature are maximized so that allow Goldeen can to hit as hard and fast as possible (RC) while outspeeding threats such as Pawniard and Berry Juice Magnemite. 36 SpD Special Defense EVs allow Goldeen to nearly always take two Flash Cannons from Magnemite, helping it check it better. Flyinium Z is mandatory to power up turn Bounce into Supersonic Skystrike. Lightning Rod is the only reason to use Goldeen, as it allows it to check Electric-types effectively due to it by giving Goldeen an immunity to them and allowing it to check them with Drill Run.

Usage Tips
========

Goldeen should often be switched into Electric-types, as its poor bulk prevents it from switching into much else. Supersonic Skystrike should be used carefully due to its one-time-use (AH) nature. If there are no Fighting- or Grass-types on the opponent's team, you can use Supersonic Skystrike as a powerful attack to break down walls. Before using Supersonic Skystrike, it is best that if the foe you'd like to hit with the move has an Eviolite, the to use Knock Off to remove potential Eviolites should be removed with Knock Off on the foe you'd like to hit with the move. As most Electric-types will switch out of Goldeen, you should use Knock Off when you predict a switch to remove the foe's item. If you predict a switch into a bulkier foe like Foongus or Timburr, you should Knock Off so that you can follow up with a Supersonic Skystrike. However, Goldeen should be wary when trying to check Elekid in case of Hidden Power Grass, which has a slight chance to OHKO Goldeen, meaning it must stay healthy throughout the match if it wants to reliably check Elekid. Knock Off should be used early- and mid-game in order to cripple the opponent's Pokemon. Goldeen should avoid getting worn down, as it will struggle to check the things it needs to if it is significantly weakened.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can remove entry hazards, such as Staryu and Vullaby, are invaluable as teammates, (AC) as Goldeen will often be switching in and out constantly against Electric-types. In return, Goldeen can switch into the Electric-types that threaten these Pokemon. Clerics such as Spritzee and Snubbull can remove cripping status from Goldeen, such as Scald burns from Chinchou. Pokemon that can take care of Water-types, such as Snivy and Magnemite can help Goldeen do its role much more easily. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Drilbur help Goldeen get certain KOs with Supersonic Skystrike that it would not get otherwise, such as against bulkier variants of Mienfoo. Water- and Flying-types appreciate Goldeen's ability to wall Electric-types. If pairing Goldeen is paired with another Water-type, an answer to Grass-types, such as a Fire- and or Flying-types, is needed. Flying-types in particular are a great partners for Goldeen, (AC) as they can break down Grass- and Fighting-types such as Foongus and Timburr after Supersonic Skystrike has already been used. Electric-types such as Elekid and Chinchou can take care of Flying-types such as Doduo thanks to their Electric-type STAB attacks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Aqua Tail is a more powerful option over Waterfall, but it's more unreliable due to its poor accuracy. Eviolite and Life Orb can be used instead of Flyinium Z, but this leaves Goldeen walled by Fighting- and Grass-types. A mixed attacking set can work, but it's too overreliant on getting boosts from Lightning Rod, as Goldeen's Special Attack is rather low. Hidden Power Fire can be used for Ferroseed, but it doesn't provide much coverage overall. Megahorn is a strong 120 base power 120-Base Power Bug-type move, but it doesn't provide much coverage that Goldeen doesn't already have on the main set.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Ferroseed**: Ferroseed takes neutral damage from Supersonic Skystrike, (AC) and can set up entry hazards in front of Goldeen, and KOes it with Bullet Seed.

**Other Grass-types**: Grass-types (RC) such as Snivy can be difficult for Goldeen to face if Supersonic Skystrike has already been used, as this forces Goldeen to rely on the unreliable Bounce to deal with them. Cottonee can cripple Goldeen with Stun Spore or lower its stats with Memento for a setup sweeper to come in. Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL are both bulky enough to survive a Supersonic Strike from full HP and can OHKO Goldeen with Giga Drain.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types (RC) such as Slowpoke and Mareanie can attempt to burn Goldeen with Scald. They both must watch out for Knock Off, however.

**Status**: Goldeen does not appreciate status, as it hurts its offensive presence. As it often switches in to Chinchou and Staryu, it is prone to getting burnt burned by Scald. It also dislikes getting paralyzed, but Lightning Rod helps with this as it gives it an immunity to Thunder Wave.

**Entry Hazards**: As Goldeen often switches in on Electric-types, it is prone to being weakened by entry hazards such as Stealth Rock and Spikes.
Implemented :]

GP 2/2
remove add

[OVERVIEW]

Goldeen has a fantastic ability in Lightning Rod, which gives it an immunity to Electric-type attacks, allowing it to be a great check to Electric-types such as Chinchou and Magnemite; (semi) it can also and directly threaten them with Drill Run, making it one of the best stops to Volt Switch in the metagame. Alongside Lightning Rod, Its Water typing provides it with useful resistances to Water-, Ice-, (comma) and Steel-type attacks, which are commonly run as coverage by LC's premier Volt Switch users. Goldeen's movepool also provides it with access to has useful options such as Knock Off, Megahorn, and specifically Bounce, which can be used alongside a Flyinium Z to let Goldeen lure in and KO Grass- and Fighting-types and KO them. Its Goldeen's good Attack and Speed allow it to put some offensive pressure on the opposing team. However, as a physically offensive Water-type, Goldeen generally faces competition as a physically offensive Water-type from the likes of Corphish, which has extremely strong STAB attacks thanks to Adaptability and its access to Dragon Dance and Swords Dance, and Carvanha, which hits harder, more consistently breaks through Grass-types, and has Speed Boost, (comma) allowing it to outpace normally faster mons Pokemon. Goldeen's bad bulk also doesn't help its case, making it hard to switch into a non-Electric-type attack, as it takes massive damage from powerful neutral hits and will almost always get OHKOed by super effective attacks. Finally, Goldeen lacks a good way to hit bulky Water- and Flying-types, (comma) as well as Grass- and Fighting-types after Supersonic Skystrike has been used up, meaning that it can be walled fairly easily by Pokemon such as like Timburr and Foongus.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bounce can be turned into Supersonic Skystrike, a powerful 160-Base Power attack that allows Goldeen to lure in be a lure for Fighting- and Grass-types, most notably Timburr and Foongus, and OHKO them after their Eviolites have been removed. Waterfall is Goldeen's most reliable STAB move, hitting Ground- and Fire-types super effectively. Drill Run works with Lightning Rod to allows Goldeen to check Electric-types both defensively and offensively, hitting Pokemon such as Chinchou and Elekid for super effective damage. Knock Off is used to remove Eviolite from bulky switch-ins to Goldeen, such as Foongus and Mareanie, and also helps it achieve more KOs with Supersonic Skystrike. It also hits Ghost-types such as Frillish and Pumpkaboo-XL, both of which can otherwise wall Goldeen. Poison Jab can also be used to hit Fairy-types such as Spritzee and Snubbull super effectively. However, it forces you to drop an essential move in either Waterfall or Knock Off, which are both very essential for Goldeen.

Set Details
========

The listed Attack and Speed EVs with a Jolly nature allow Goldeen to hit as hard and fast as possible while outspeeding threats such as Pawniard and Berry Juice Magnemite. 36 Special Defense EVs allow Goldeen to nearly always take two Flash Cannons from Magnemite, helping it check it better. Flyinium Z is mandatory to for turning Bounce into Supersonic Skystrike. Lightning Rod is the only reason to use Goldeen, as it allows it to check Electric-types effectively by giving Goldeen an immunity to them and allowing it to check them with Drill Run.

Usage Tips
========

Goldeen should often be switched into Electric-types, as its poor bulk prevents it from switching into much else. Supersonic Skystrike should be used carefully due to its one-time-use nature. If there are no Fighting- or Grass-types on the opponent's team, you can use Supersonic Skystrike as a powerful attack to break down walls down. Before using Supersonic Skystrike, it is best to use Knock Off to remove a potential Eviolites on the foe you'd like to hit with the move. As most Electric-types will switch out of Goldeen, you should use Knock Off when you predict a switch to remove the foe's item. If you predict a switch into a bulkier foe like Foongus or Timburr, you should Knock Off so that you can follow up with a Supersonic Skystrike. However, Goldeen should be wary when trying to check Elekid in case of Hidden Power Grass, which has a slight chance to of OHKOing Goldeen, meaning it must stay healthy throughout the match if it wants to reliably check Elekid. Knock Off should be used early- and mid-game in order to cripple the opponent's Pokemon. Goldeen should avoid getting worn down, as it will struggle to check the things it needs to if it is significantly weakened.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can remove entry hazards, (comma) such as Staryu and Vullaby, (comma) are invaluable as teammates, as Goldeen will often be switching in and out constantly against Electric-types. In return, Goldeen can switch into the Electric-types that threaten these Pokemon. Clerics such as Spritzee and Snubbull can remove cripping status from Goldeen, that cripples Goldeen such as Scald burns from Chinchou. Pokemon that can take care of Water-types, such as Snivy and Magnemite, (comma) can help Goldeen do its role much more easily. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Drilbur help let Goldeen get certain KOs with Supersonic Skystrike that it would not get otherwise, (comma) such as against bulkier variants of Mienfoo. Water- and Flying-types appreciate Goldeen's ability to wall Electric-types. If Goldeen is paired with another Water-type, an answer to Grass-types, (comma) such as a Fire- or Flying-type, (comma) is needed. Flying-types in particular are great partners for Goldeen, as they can break down through Grass- and Fighting-types such as Foongus and Timburr after Supersonic Skystrike has already been used. Electric-types such as Elekid and Chinchou can take care of Flying-types such as Doduo thanks to their Electric-type STAB attacks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Aqua Tail is a more powerful option over Waterfall, but it's more less unreliable due to its poor accuracy. Eviolite and or Life Orb can be used instead of Flyinium Z, but this leaves Goldeen walled by Fighting- and Grass-types. A mixed attacking set can work, but it's too reliant on getting boosts from Lightning Rod, as Goldeen's Special Attack is rather low. Hidden Power Fire can be used for to hit Ferroseed, but it doesn't provide much coverage overall. Megahorn is a strong 120-Base Power Bug-type move, but it doesn't provide much coverage that Goldeen doesn't already have on the main set.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Ferroseed**: Ferroseed takes neutral damage from Supersonic Skystrike, can set up entry hazards up in front of Goldeen, and KOes it with Bullet Seed.

**Other Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Snivy can be difficult for Goldeen to face if Supersonic Skystrike has already been used, as this forces Goldeen to rely on attack with the unreliable Bounce to deal with them. Cottonee can cripple Goldeen with Stun Spore or lower its stats with Memento for a setup sweeper to come in. Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL are both bulky enough to survive a Supersonic Strike from full HP and can OHKO Goldeen with Giga Drain.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types such as Slowpoke and Mareanie can attempt to burn Goldeen with Scald. They both must watch out for Knock Off, however.

**Status**: Goldeen does not appreciate status, as it hurts its offensive presence. As it often switches in to Chinchou and Staryu, it is prone to getting burned by Scald. It also dislikes getting paralyzed, but Lightning Rod helps with this as it gives by giving it an immunity to Thunder Wave.

Last edited:

GP 2/2
remove add

[OVERVIEW]

Goldeen has a fantastic ability in Lightning Rod, which gives it an immunity to Electric-type attacks, allowing it to be a great check to Electric-types such as Chinchou and Magnemite; (semi) it can also and directly threaten them with Drill Run, making it one of the best stops to Volt Switch in the metagame. Alongside Lightning Rod, Its Water typing provides it with useful resistances to Water-, Ice-, (comma) and Steel-type attacks, which are commonly run as coverage by LC's premier Volt Switch users. Goldeen's movepool also provides it with access to has useful options such as Knock Off, Megahorn, and specifically Bounce, which can be used alongside a Flyinium Z to let Goldeen lure in and KO Grass- and Fighting-types and KO them. Its Goldeen's good Attack and Speed allow it to put some offensive pressure on the opposing team. However, as a physically offensive Water-type, Goldeen generally faces competition as a physically offensive Water-type from the likes of Corphish, which has extremely strong STAB attacks thanks to Adaptability and its access to Dragon Dance and Swords Dance, and Carvanha, which hits harder, more consistently breaks through Grass-types, and has Speed Boost, (comma) allowing it to outpace normally faster mons Pokemon. Goldeen's bad bulk also doesn't help its case, making it hard to switch into a non-Electric-type attack, as it takes massive damage from powerful neutral hits and will almost always get OHKOed by super effective attacks. Finally, Goldeen lacks a good way to hit bulky Water- and Flying-types, (comma) as well as Grass- and Fighting-types after Supersonic Skystrike has been used up, meaning that it can be walled fairly easily by Pokemon such as like Timburr and Foongus.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bounce can be turned into Supersonic Skystrike, a powerful 160-Base Power attack that allows Goldeen to lure in be a lure for Fighting- and Grass-types, most notably Timburr and Foongus, and OHKO them after their Eviolites have been removed. Waterfall is Goldeen's most reliable STAB move, hitting Ground- and Fire-types super effectively. Drill Run works with Lightning Rod to allows Goldeen to check Electric-types both defensively and offensively, hitting Pokemon such as Chinchou and Elekid for super effective damage. Knock Off is used to remove Eviolite from bulky switch-ins to Goldeen, such as Foongus and Mareanie, and also helps it achieve more KOs with Supersonic Skystrike. It also hits Ghost-types such as Frillish and Pumpkaboo-XL, both of which can otherwise wall Goldeen. Poison Jab can also be used to hit Fairy-types such as Spritzee and Snubbull super effectively. However, it forces you to drop an essential move in either Waterfall or Knock Off, which are both very essential for Goldeen.

Set Details
========

The listed Attack and Speed EVs with a Jolly nature allow Goldeen to hit as hard and fast as possible while outspeeding threats such as Pawniard and Berry Juice Magnemite. 36 Special Defense EVs allow Goldeen to nearly always take two Flash Cannons from Magnemite, helping it check it better. Flyinium Z is mandatory to for turning Bounce into Supersonic Skystrike. Lightning Rod is the only reason to use Goldeen, as it allows it to check Electric-types effectively by giving Goldeen an immunity to them and allowing it to check them with Drill Run.

Usage Tips
========

Goldeen should often be switched into Electric-types, as its poor bulk prevents it from switching into much else. Supersonic Skystrike should be used carefully due to its one-time-use nature. If there are no Fighting- or Grass-types on the opponent's team, you can use Supersonic Skystrike as a powerful attack to break down walls down. Before using Supersonic Skystrike, it is best to use Knock Off to remove a potential Eviolites on the foe you'd like to hit with the move. As most Electric-types will switch out of Goldeen, you should use Knock Off when you predict a switch to remove the foe's item. If you predict a switch into a bulkier foe like Foongus or Timburr, you should Knock Off so that you can follow up with a Supersonic Skystrike. However, Goldeen should be wary when trying to check Elekid in case of Hidden Power Grass, which has a slight chance to of OHKOing Goldeen, meaning it must stay healthy throughout the match if it wants to reliably check Elekid. Knock Off should be used early- and mid-game in order to cripple the opponent's Pokemon. Goldeen should avoid getting worn down, as it will struggle to check the things it needs to if it is significantly weakened.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can remove entry hazards, (comma) such as Staryu and Vullaby, (comma) are invaluable as teammates, as Goldeen will often be switching in and out constantly against Electric-types. In return, Goldeen can switch into the Electric-types that threaten these Pokemon. Clerics such as Spritzee and Snubbull can remove cripping status from Goldeen, that cripples Goldeen such as Scald burns from Chinchou. Pokemon that can take care of Water-types, such as Snivy and Magnemite, (comma) can help Goldeen do its role much more easily. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Drilbur help let Goldeen get certain KOs with Supersonic Skystrike that it would not get otherwise, (comma) such as against bulkier variants of Mienfoo. Water- and Flying-types appreciate Goldeen's ability to wall Electric-types. If Goldeen is paired with another Water-type, an answer to Grass-types, (comma) such as a Fire- or Flying-type, (comma) is needed. Flying-types in particular are great partners for Goldeen, as they can break down through Grass- and Fighting-types such as Foongus and Timburr after Supersonic Skystrike has already been used. Electric-types such as Elekid and Chinchou can take care of Flying-types such as Doduo thanks to their Electric-type STAB attacks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Aqua Tail is a more powerful option over Waterfall, but it's more less unreliable due to its poor accuracy. Eviolite and or Life Orb can be used instead of Flyinium Z, but this leaves Goldeen walled by Fighting- and Grass-types. A mixed attacking set can work, but it's too reliant on getting boosts from Lightning Rod, as Goldeen's Special Attack is rather low. Hidden Power Fire can be used for to hit Ferroseed, but it doesn't provide much coverage overall. Megahorn is a strong 120-Base Power Bug-type move, but it doesn't provide much coverage that Goldeen doesn't already have on the main set.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Ferroseed**: Ferroseed takes neutral damage from Supersonic Skystrike, can set up entry hazards up in front of Goldeen, and KOes it with Bullet Seed.

**Other Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Snivy can be difficult for Goldeen to face if Supersonic Skystrike has already been used, as this forces Goldeen to rely on attack with the unreliable Bounce to deal with them. Cottonee can cripple Goldeen with Stun Spore or lower its stats with Memento for a setup sweeper to come in. Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL are both bulky enough to survive a Supersonic Strike from full HP and can OHKO Goldeen with Giga Drain.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types such as Slowpoke and Mareanie can attempt to burn Goldeen with Scald. They both must watch out for Knock Off, however.

**Status**: Goldeen does not appreciate status, as it hurts its offensive presence. As it often switches in to Chinchou and Staryu, it is prone to getting burned by Scald. It also dislikes getting paralyzed, but Lightning Rod helps with this as it gives by giving it an immunity to Thunder Wave.

Implemented. This is done :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)