Gods and Followers

k so nobody's replied or talked about the change to God Death Punishments, and the thread is falling down so to speak, so I'll give my opinion (reason I didn't before was I was waiting for someone else to give an opinion).

This change to Embargo being the God Death Punishment makes it so all playstyles are affected to at least similar degrees of severity. Before, stall (nonexistent though it may have been) and Balance, to a lesser degree, was hurt a tonne by Curse, while stuff like, say, Lugia HO (RIP Hoopa-U) wasn't awfully bothered as they were sac'ing everything anyways. Regular Offense was, while more affected than HO, still relatively worry free to a degree and could potentially win the match even without a god if they played it like HO almost, except against maybe stall. All playstyles pretty much despise Embargo equally, as stall LOVES lefties and general passive recovery (exception being Chansey), while neither Balance and especially offense likes losing their items, especially as Balance has a good number of bulky pivots and Life orb/Choice items are key to many offensive 'mons in the tier. Mega stones aren't affected, thankfully, so certain mons can function after Embargo. It also makes certain frailer Gods slightly more viable, like Deoxys-A, though Deo-A teams are probably ripped apart by Exca atm, not to mention Scarfed Krook absolutely destroys it (hence why MM2X is preferred on psychic teams).

A point of discussion I can think of to bring back discussion of the meta is how would one go about breaking typical Bulk Up Rest Talk Primal Groudon (which I'll refer to as CroDon due to the similarities it has to CroCune) teams, which are kind of prevalent in higher tier play and can be difficult to break without sufficient preparation or skill. During ladder month Primal Groudon (in general) received 9% usage in 1760 stats, placing it as the 16th most used 'mon and second most used God behind Yveltal, though it was a different story in 1630 stats, with it being much less used, at 6%. Thing is the team is so darned solid, if just on account of how much common shit CroDon can wall. Lugia teams may have a positive matchup on account of having Lugia, but Mamo can break it with Icicle Spear, Exca can flinchax it's way through with Rock Slide, and it can't do a lot to to Donner or Gastro. MegaMence has a decent shot, but it can be flinchaxed by Adamant Exca in sand if it's not running at +1 with least 232 EVs in speed and a Jolly nature, Mamoswine can revenge after minimal prior damage with Ice Shard, and can struggle vs Donner if it's already got a Bulk Up or two.

Note: For calcing these potential answers to CroDon I used Flamedood 's team from the team archive, but most CroDon teams I remember seeing are similar in format.

One set I theorised might have a positive matchup vs standard CroDon teams is a Bulky Mega Salamence set. Bulky Mega Salamence with 248 HP EVs, 72 defense EVs and an Impish nature lives +0 Adamant Excadrill's Rock Slide as a 3HKO if rocks aren't up, and takes basically nothing from Donner's Fire Punch, the most common STAB move CroDon runs. Furthermore, it can take an Adamant Mamo's Life Orb Ice Shard and OHKO at +1 with Return. It still has a pretty good matchup vs the rest of the meta because it's Mega Salamence, though it can lose to faster rain 'mons so it might be worth it to carry a better Rain/Kyogre check. The only downside is that it's pretty important to have rocks off your side and it's ideal to have rocks on their side, and that's difficult to pull off without Rapid Spin, which is not on a lot of Mence team viable 'mons. Do note rocks aren't necessary on their side, but it does help guarantee a lot of KOs. Plus it's a 'mon I love abusing so yeah.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 188 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake/Substitute/Refresh

I'd personally use EQ to more reliably beat Exca and Donner, as well as actually sort of hitting Mega Maw and Dialga (if Shuca is gone, EQ can break through it), but Sub can be run to be far more difficult to revenge kill, as +1 Return already does tonnes to Exca, EQ's main target. Refresh can be run to be able to status sponge and switch in on some threats more reliably, like Ho-oh, as well as helping negate a potential Fire Punch burn from Donner. It's also worth noting that +0 Fire Punch from Donner and Banded Ho-oh's Sacred Fire won't break/hasn't got a good chance of breaking Mence's Sub. 188 Spe is still enough to outrun Adamant MegaPert in rain after a Dragon Dance, so that's nice.

Another God that has a good chance vs Standard CroDon teams is Hidden Power Grass Palkia, who breaks Gastro, many team's only real defensive answer to it besides Donner, who's a shaky defensive check because it needs to run PB to break Palkia, which leaves CroDon walled by any and all Flying/Levitate 'mons. Admittedly, it's forced out by Exca, but that's it. It's why I paired my Palkia with a Defensive Almomola (how the fuck do you spell that lmfao), who kind of counters Exca. It's just standard Lustrous Orb Palkia from the Ubers Smogon analysis but with HP Grass as the last moveslot.

The problem with non-God 'mons taking it on primairly stems from the fact there REALLY are not a lot off common non-God 'mons that do well vs Primal Groudon and it's teammates. Roughly 50-75% of OU are beaten by Donner in some way (you know something's wrong when something absolutely hard counters fucking Keldeo of all things while still having significant offensive presence), if you include non CroDon sets like SD, Rock Polish, Mixed, stuff like that, and most of the rest are beaten by CroDon's common teammates. I've got a few potential answers to this team that aren't Gods, though, don't worry. One such answer is Hidden Power Grass Offensive Air Balloon Heatran. AB Tran completely walls standard CroDon while the balloon is intact and can wear it down with Earth Power. HP Grass lets it hurt Sp.Def Gastro significantly if it tries to switch in, 2hkoing after rocks. SubCoil Zygarde is another Pokemon that can deal with Donner, being able to faze it out and potentially set up and sweep their team, but can struggle with Icicle Spear Mamo. That's it, though, as Zygarde phases Hippo before Hippo can phase it back with DTail, and at worst does enough damage to their team to allow a teammate to come clean through. Double Dance Landorus Therian can also do a right number after an SD, at worst softening up the opposing team enough for another teammate to break through it's checks. It outboosts Bulk Up and does tonnes of damage to Donner with EQ and it outspeeds Exca in sand at +2, but boosted Fire Punch will sting and Mamo can revenge. SD Garchomp also does a number in a way similar to DD Lando-T, especially with a Life Orb.

I'm curious to hear how others are preparing for this more standard Primal Groudon team format. Those are all of the answers I can think of atm.

One final thing I can think of is discussing the possibility of a Follower Viability Ranking. While we have a God VR, there's not much info on what Follower is good with which God. The problem is it'd be a bit of an undertaking to create and maintain, as doing it by the follower's typing leads to scenarios where we have 'mons like Latias being pretty shit on Soul Dew Latios teams but great on Palkia and MegaMence teams. idk, I wouldn't mind hearing what people think about this.

Last edited:
Yay discussion is back (I think?)! Roles compendium for Gods (from 5 star down). I won't cover wish/healing wish/aromatherapy/heal bell/stealth rocks as megaqwer:D has that covered already and I don't want to rain on the parade. I'll try to make the roles be for Pokemon that are actually viable but I'll add ones that I think may have a niche that isn't discovered yet. The categories aren't in any particular order, so, no, I'm not implying Latios is a better pivot than Landorus-Therian or Garchomp. If people want I can fix the ordering to viability, but it's rather subjective so yeah.

Format:
Pokemon:

Wallbreaker: Special: Physical: Mixed
Pivot:
Stallbreaker:
Win Condition: Dragon Dance: Calm Mind: Nasty Plot: Swords Dance: Rock Polish/Agility: Coil: Curse: Belly Drum:
Walls: Physical: Special:
Choice Users: Band: Specs: Scarf:
Weather Setters: Sand: Rain: Hail: Sun:
Weather Abusers:
Priority:
Megas:

5 Star Gods:
Mega Salamence:
Wallbreaker: Special:
(life orb) Physical:
Mixed:
(life orb)
Pivot:
(assault vest)
Stallbreaker:
(sub/refresh dd roost)
(life orb taunt)
(subcoil)
Win Condition: Dragon Dance:
Calm Mind:
Nasty Plot:
Swords Dance:
Coil:
Rock Polish/Agility:
Curse: Other:
bulk up
Walls: Physical:
Special: Mixed:
Choice Users: Band:
Specs:
Scarf:

Weather Setters: Rain:
Sun: Hail: Sand:
Weather Abusers: Rain: Hurricane:
Thunder:

Priority:

Megas:
(duh)

Primal Groudon:
Physical:
Mixed:

Pivot:

Stallbreaker:
(RestTalk Bulk Up)
(subcoil)
Calm Mind: Swords Dance:
Coil:
Rock Polish/Agility:
Curse:
Other:
bulk up
Wall: Physical:
Special:
Mixed:

Specs: Scarf:

Weather Setters: Sand:
Rain:
Hail: Sun:
Megas:

Weather Abusers: Sand Rush:
Sand Force:
Harsh Sun:
(self induced) Swift Swim:

Priority:

Trappers:

Arceus-Normal:
Physical:
Mixed:

Pivot:

Stallbreaker:

Win Condition: Dragon Dance: Calm Mind:
Nasty Plot:
Swords Dance:
Rock Polish/Agility:
Coil: Curse:
Belly Drum:
Other:
Power-up-Punch
Special:
Mixed:

Specs:
Scarf:

Weather Setters:

Weather Abusers: Sand:

Megas:

Priority: Extreme Speed:
Fake Out:
Quick Attack:

Wow arc-normal doesn't have much at all does it haha

Yveltal:
(life orb)
Physical:
Mixed:
(life orb)

Pivot:
(assault vest)

Stallbreaker:
(banded)
(life orb taunt)
(work up refresh roost)

Calm Mind:
Nasty Plot:
Swords Dance:
Rock Polish/Agility:
Coil: Curse:
Belly Drum: Other:
bulk up
flame charge
hone claws
(defensive) Special:
Mixed:

Specs:
Scarf:

Weather Setters: Sand: Rain:
Weather Abusers:

Megas:

Priority: Sucker Punch:
Aqua Jet:
Ice Shard:
Gale Wings Brave Bird:

Trappers:

Palkia:
Physical:
Mixed:

Pivot:
(latias)

Stallbreaker:
(rain dance)
(subcoil)

Calm Mind:
(latias)
Nasty Plot:
Swords Dance:
Rock Polish/Agility:
Coil:
Curse:
Belly Drum:
Shell Smash:
Other:
tail glow
Special:
Mixed:

Specs:
Scarf:

Weather Setters: Sand: Rain:
Weather Abusers: Rain:

Aqua Jet:

Megas:
(latias)

4 stars:
(WIP) Dialga:
Physical:
Mixed:

Pivot:
latias-mega
scizor-mega

Stallbreaker:
(taunt)
(subcoil)
Calm Mind:
Nasty Plot: Swords Dance:
Rock Polish/Agility:
Coil:
Curse: Belly Drum:
Special:
Specs:
Scarf:

Weather Setters: Sand: Rain: Hail: Sun:
Weather Abusers: Sand Rush:
Sand Force: garchomp-mega Swift Swim:

Bullet Punch:
scizor-mega
Megas:
garchomp-mega latias-mega scizor-mega

I've only done the 5 star Gods atm because it's taken a long time for just these 5. The sprites are a pain becasue sometimes they copy, sometimes they don't. I'll finish this over the coming days. I have a new found respect for role compendium makers haha.

Also, be sure to tell me if I missed something or something's wrong, it can be difficult gathering them all up and stuff. I noticed a few things while making this - For instance, Yveltal teams have so many megas and options like dayum. I knew it was good because of how many options it had for followers and itself but crikey. I also learned Palkia teams aren't as restricted as I thought they were haha. I'm hoping to get input to improve how I make these before I move on to the 4 stars.

EDIT: No, Niadev, Mega Pinsir is NOT a usable Yveltal god :V ty InfernapeTropius11

Last edited:
Nice to see some more discussion, this OM is so underrated. Anyway, here's an analysis of my favourite god Reshiram

Overview

Reshiram is a god you should seriously consider using on your team. Dragon + Fire work really well together, with the Dragon types able to cover their Fire type friends Water-weakness, while the Fire-types can cover the Dragons Ice and Fairy weaknesses. You also get access to an all star cast of great Pokémon, such as Heatran, both Mega Charizards, Mega Altaria, Garchomp, Talonflame, Volcanion, Dragonite, Rotom-Heat, Kyurem-B and Lati@s. Reshiram itself is no slouch either. 150 base Special Attack combined with dual 130 base power STABs in Draco Meteor and Blue Flare let it dish out a lot of damage, and with above average 100/100/120 defences and reliable recovery in Roost, you don't have to treat Reshiram with kid gloves. Its typing helps it out too - it can easily come in on Pokémon like Scizor, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Skarmory, Aegislash, Mega Manectric and mega Venusaur and fire off powerful attacks.

However, Reshiram has its faults. Average to low Speed means it struggles somewhat against more offensive teams and while its typing gives it useful resistances like Fire, Grass and Steel, it also curses it with common Rock, Ground and Dragon weaknesses as well as a weakness to all entry hazards.

Special Attacker

Reshiram @ Life Orb
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Blue Flare
- Roost
- Earth Power / Focus Blast / Tailwind

Moves

Draco Meteor and Blue Flare get STAB, and have virtually perfect neutral coverage thanks to Turboblaze - the only Pokémon that resist both are Mega Altaria, Azumarill and Mega Diancie, the former of which is still 2HKOed by Blue Flare if it doesn't invest in bulk. Roost provides reliable recovery, healing off Life Orb recoil and letting Reshiram fire off powerful attacks for longer. Most of the time Reshiram's STABs will get the job done, so the last slot's up to you. Earth Power hits Pokémon like Rotom-W and Diancie for huge damage - it also OHKOes Heatran that lack Air Balloon. Focus Blast OHOKes Tyranitar. Tailwind can be used to patch up Reshiram's average Speed for a few turns.

Set Details

Life Orb is the only item this set should run, as it lets Reshiram dish out colossal damage. The EVs maximise Speed and power, but a bulkier spread is viable too if you'd prefer longevity. 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe can be used to outrun uninvested Yveltal.

Usage Tips

Due to its good bulk and Roost, Reshiram has more opportunities to switch in than other gods. Come in on Pokémon you can force out, like Scizor, Mega Venusaur and Aegislash, and either fire off powerful attacks, Roost or set up a Tailwind. Avoid switching Reshiram in if Stealth Rock is up if at all possible, as it can be quickly worn down. This set is best used as an early to mid game wallbreaker, smashing through opposing walls so that teammates can clear up later.

Team Options

Dragon Dance Mega Altaria works well with Reshiram for its ability to smash through just about all the Pokémon that are threaten it - Reshiram can easily KO Mega Venusaur, Scizor, Ferrothorn and Skarmory. They get decent synergy too - Reshiram resists the Steel moves Altaria is weak to, while Altaria is immune to the Dragon moves Reshiram is weak to. Heatran can set up Stealth Rock to give Reshiram an easier time wallbreaking. Hazard control is critical - Latias can remove Stealth Rock with Defog, and use Healing Wish to give Reshiram another chance. Rotom-H can use slow Volt Switches to get Reshriam in safely.

Other Options

Fusion Flare can be used if you need a STAB with no drawbacks. Will-O-Wisp and Toxic can be used to cripple physical attackers and walls respectively. A Choice Scarf set is possible, although you lose out on a fair bit of power and Reshiram's hazard weakness means it won't like switching in and out too much. Stone Edge OHKOes Ho-Oh, but the turkey is much rarer here than it is in standard Ubers.

Checks and Counters

Chansey - Chansey can handle anything Reshiram has and stall it out with Toxic.

Revenge killers - Faster Pokémon that can hit Reshiram super effectively like Palkia, Kyurem-B/W, Garchomp and Landours-T can revenge kill Reshiram if it hasn't set up a Tailwind

Stealth Rock - Stealth Rock strips away a quarter of Reshiram's HP, making it easier to revenge kill

Bulky Water-types - Most bulky Water-types like Assault Vest Slowking can avoid a 2HKO from Draco Meteor and force Reshiram out.

Also, here's a Reshiram team. If you couldn't tell I like Reshiram, so it's great to have a tier where it's viable.

Reshiram @ Life Orb
Ability: Turboblaze
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Blue Flare
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Earth Power

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roar
- Lava Plume

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 92 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain

Last edited:
Not as great as the previous posts, but hey: an look at Mega Altaria

What does it do:
It's a powerful wincon, great offensive fairy type, and has great coverage. Particularly, it's nightmarish to stop on any non-steel/fire team, and has few dedicated answers.

Why is it better than OU:
In a word, type change. It's a flying type mega that loses its flying type, and it's the only fairy type available to dragons. For the former it's a great electric resist not weak to water (looking at landorus/gliscor), a far superior alternative to togekiss, and a decent setup sweeper. For the latter it provides a dragon immunity, handles many common type archetypes like dragon and dark, and laughs at crippling status.

What other utility does it add:
It's a great cleric, which is extremely rare. It's a switchin when you can't use your God, and has a lot of lasting power. Finally, it can set up and try to sweep many times in a battle.

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Hello,everyone
Below will be a compilation of no. of followers that get access to Rapid spin/Defog, Stealth rock, Healing wish, heal bell/aromatherapy and wish.
Note:Some pokemon may not be viable.
Here I begin!

Aegislash
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/aromatherapy:

Wish:

Arceus [Normal forme] also mega kangashkan
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/ aromatherapy:
/

Wish:

Blaziken and mega blaziken
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth rock:

Healing wish:None
Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish:

Darkrai
Rapid spin/Defog:

Stealth rock:

Healing wish: None
Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish:

Deoxys [Normal, Attack, Defense and Speed] and gothitelle...........and wobbufet.............
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth Rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish:

Dialga
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish:

Genesect
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:
/

Wish:

Gengar (Mega)
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth Rock:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish: None

Giratina and Giratina-Origin
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish:

Greninja
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth Rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish:

Groudon and primal groudon
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth Rock:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:None
Wish:None

Ho-oh
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth rock:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:
/

Wish:

Hoopa-Unbound
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish:

Kyogre and primal kyogre
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth Rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish:

Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish:

Landorus
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth Rock:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:
/

Wish:

Lati Twins
Note:Latias can be ALSO used as a follower when not holding a soul dew.
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth Rocks:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish:

Lucario(Mega)
Rapid spin/defog:
/

Stealth rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/aromatherapy:None
Wish:

Sadly I have to divide the role compendium into two parts.
Reason:Please enter a message with no more than 65000 characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!

Lugia
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth Rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:
/

Wish:

Mawile Mega

Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/aromatherapy:
/

Wish:

Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth Rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish:

Palkia

Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth Rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish:

Rayquaza and mega salamence

Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:
/

Wish:

Reshiram

Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth Rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish:

Shaymin
Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:
/

Wish:

Xerneas

Rapid spin/Defog:

Stealth rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/aromatherapy:
/

Wish:

Yveltal

Rapid spin/Defog:
/

Stealth rock:

Healing wish: None
Heal bell/Aromatherapy:
/

Wish:

Zekrom

Rapid spin/Defog:

Stealth Rock:

Healing wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Wish:

Jajoken It's done!
Shoutouts
InfernapeTropius11 For pointing out the mistakes
imas For helping me when the hide tags messed up
Chopin Alkaninoff For reminding that MMX doesnt get fighting type followers :P

Last edited:
An analysis of Dialga

Overview

Dialga has much to offer as your god. Its unique typing lets you use a plethora of great Pokémon - from the Steel side you can use any of (Mega) Scizor, Ferrothorn, Foretress, Skarmory, Bisharp and Heatran; from the Dragon side you can use any of Garchomp, Lati@s, Mega Altaria, Kyurem-B and Dragonite. Dialga itself is a great Pokémon: 100/120/100 defences combined with 9 resistances and an immunity give it space to come in, while base 150 Special Attack lets it dish out tremendous damage. Dialga's movepool is very impressive - it has ample coverage in Fire Blast, STAB Flash Cannon, Thunderbolt and even nice utility moves in Stealth Rock, Trick Room, Roar and Magnet Rise. Being one of only 3 Dragon-types not weak to either Ice- or Fairy-type moves helps as well.

However, Dialga still has its issues. It lacks reliable recovery, so it must be played more cautiously than the likes of Zekrom or Reshiram. It's also quite slow, and while it may only have 2 weaknesses, they are to 2 of the most commonly used types of moves.

Offensive

Dialga @ Shuca Berry / Life Orb / Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon / Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock / Thunder / Earth Power

Moves

Draco Meteor is Dialga's strongest STAB, and it will do huge damage to anything not resisting it. Flash Cannon is a secondary STAB that destroys most of the Fairy-types that resist Draco Meteor. If you're not worried about hitting Fairy-types, Earth Power can be used to 2HKO any Primal Groudon and OHKO Heatran that lack Air Balloon. Fire Blast deals with most of the Steel-types that resist Dialga's STABs. Stealth Rock is a nice utility move to help Dialga's teammates get additional KOs. Thunder can be used as a way to hit bulky Water-types hard without resorting to Draco Meteor.

Set Details

As for item choice, Shuca Berry is recommended to negate Dialga's most common weakness for one attack. A Life Orb lets Dialga hit much harder. Choice Specs is viable too for the massive increase in power. 76 Speed EVs let Dialga outrun uninvested Yveltal. Special Attack is maximised to do as much damage as possible. The remainder is placed in HP for extra bulk. A bulkier spread of 252 HP / 180 SpA / 76 Spe can be run instead if you prefer bulk to overall power. You could also run Adamant Orb to power up Dialga's STABs without recoil - it also lets you bluff a Choice Specs. Air Balloon is another option, although it's not as consistent as Shuca Berry.

Usage Tips

Even though Dialga isn't frail, due to its god status and lack of reliable recovery, you should still be careful switching it in. Weak walls that rely on Toxic damage like Skarmory are good Pokémon to switch Dialga in on, due to its natural immunity. Generally spamming Draco Meteor will get the job done - the threat of STAB Flash Cannon will keep most Fairy types away.

Team Options

Slow Volt Switches and U-turns from the likes of Magnezone and Scizor are helpful to bring Dialga in safely. This set is primarily meant as a wallbreaker, so sweepers like Dragon Dance Mega Altaria and Swords Dance Scizor are good teammates for this set. Chansey walls this set; Excadrill can come in on anything it does and smash it with Earthquake. It can even remove entry hazards with Rapid Spin. Skarmory can set up Spikes to pressure the opponent's team, while also walling Dragon Dance Mega Salamence and Rayquaza that lack V-create or Fire Blast. Offensive Latios can form a dual wallbreaking core with Dialga, and the 2 have decent synergy: Latios is immune to Ground moves and resists Fighting ones, while Dialga resists Bug moves. Bulky Garchomp can set up Stealth Rock for Dialga if you'd rather run another move in that slot, and can check Primal Groudon that lack Dragon Claw. Ho-Oh walls this set if it lacks Thunder; Heatran can handle anything bar Earthquake from the turkey, and either cripple it with Toxic or set up Stealth Rock.

Bulk Up

Dialga @ Leftovers / Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SpD / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Magnet Rise / Substitute
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Moves

Bulk Up increases Dialga's Attack and Defence, making it more powerful and harder to take down on the physical side, respectively. Magnet Rise is recommended, as it lets you beat offensive Primal Groudon that lack Swords Dance as well as Dragon Dance Rayquaza, Mega Salamence and Extreme Killer Arceus. Substitute however, can give Dialga protection from burns, paralysis, sleep and Leech Seed. It also lets you set up on defensive Water-types, so long as they lack phasing. Dragon Claw is the STAB move - it hits quite hard after a boost or two, and has better neutral coverage than Iron Head. Earthquake gets great neutral coverage with Dragon Claw, with the combination only being resisted by Skarmory, Whimsicott, Togekiss and Levitate Bronzong.

Set Details

252 HP EVs give Dialga great overall bulk, and let it create 101 HP Substitutes. 76 Speed EVs let it outrun uninvested Yveltal as well as most Rock Polish Primal Groudon, and the remainder is in Special Defence to give Dialga more rounded bulk. A more offensive spread is viable too - 252 HP / 180 Atk / 76 Spe with an Adamant Nature can be used if you want to hit harder with fewer boosts. Leftovers is recommended to give Dialga passive recovery, however Shuca Berry can be used to give Dialga a failsafe against faster foes with Ground type attack. An Adamant Orb could also be used for more power. You could drop Earthquake and run either Substitute or Magnet Rise in its place; however, Dialga will now be unable to harm Steel- or Fairy-types.

Usage Tips

This set is a bulky booster, best used to close the game. Therefore, keep this set hidden until you're ready to sweep. Weak walls that rely on Toxic like Chansey and Skarmory are good to set up against. If you run Substitute, defensive Water-types like Alomomola and defensive Slowbro are good to set up against, as their Scalds will do pitiful damage.

Team Options

As this set is designed to sweep late game, powerful wallbreakers like Latios, Kyurem-B, offensive Heatran and Choice Band Scizor are good teammates to help soften up the opponent's team. Faster Fighting types can be problematic, as they can fatally damage this set before it has a chance to get going. Mega Altaria can handle most of them well enough, while also providing Heal Bell support. Jirachi can pass Dialga Wishes to keep it healthy, and set up Stealth Rock to help it get additional KOs.

Last edited:
An analysis of Dialga

Overview

Dialga has much to offer as your god. Its unique typing lets you use a plethora of great Pokémon - from the Steel side you can use any of (Mega) Scizor, Ferrothorn, Foretress, Skarmory, Bisharp and Heatran; from the Dragon side you can use any of Garchomp, Lati@s, Mega Altaria, Kyurem-B and Dragonite. Dialga itself is a great Pokémon: 100/120/100 defences combined with 9 resistances and an immunity give it space to come in, while base 150 Special Attack lets it dish out tremendous damage. Dialga's movepool is very impressive - it has ample coverage in Fire Blast, STAB Flash Cannon, Thunderbolt and even nice utility moves in Stealth Rock, Trick Room, Roar and Magnet Rise. Being one of only 3 Dragon-types not weak to either Ice- or Fairy-type moves helps as well.

However, Dialga still has its issues. It lacks reliable recovery, so it must be played more cautiously than the likes of Zekrom or Reshiram. It's also very slow, and while it may only have 2 weaknesses, they are to 2 of the most commonly used types of moves.

Offensive

Dialga @ Life Orb / Shuca Berry / Choice Specs
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock / Thunder

Moves

Draco Meteor is Dialga's strongest STAB, and it will do huge damage to anything not resisting it. Flash Cannon is a secondary STAB that destroys most of the Fairy-types that resist Draco Meteor. Fire Blast deals with most of the Steel-types that resist Dialga's STABs. Stealth Rock is a nice utility move to help Dialga's teammates get additional KOs. Thunder can be used as a way to hit bulky Water-types hard without resorting to Draco Meteor.

Set Details

A Life Orb is the preferred item to maximise damage output. A Shuca Berry can be used to negate Dialga's most common weakness for a turn. Choice Specs is viable too for the massive increase in power. 76 Speed EVs let Dialga outrun uninvested Yveltal. Special Attack is maximised to do as much damage as possible. The remainder is placed in HP for extra bulk. A bulkier spread of 252 HP / 180 SpA / 76 Spe can be run instead if you prefer bulk to overall power.

Usage Tips

Even though Dialga isn't frail, due to its god status and lack of reliable recovery, you should still be careful switching it in. Weak walls that rely on Toxic damage like Skarmory are good Pokémon to switch Dialga in on, due to its natural immunity. Generally spamming Draco Meteor will get the job done - the threat of STAB Flash Cannon will keep most Fairy types away.

Team Options

Slow Volt Switches and U-turns from the likes of Magnezone and Scizor are helpful to bring Dialga in safely. This set is primarily meant as a wallbreaker, so sweepers like Dragon Dance Mega Altaria and Swords Dance Scizor are good teammates for this set. Chansey walls this set; Excadrill can come in on anything it does and smash it with Earthquake. It can even remove entry hazards with Rapid Spin. Ferrothorn and Foretress can set up Spikes to help Dialga pressure the opponent's team.

More coming soon
Quick note, I think you're missing a nature. I'd say Modest personally.

I feel Shuca berry should be the first item as checking Mega Salamence and Rayquaza is incredibly useful, because they can otherwise destroy a lot of Dialga teams, Rayquaza especially due to it's access to V-create to nail Skarmory (the go-to Mence check from my experience) far easier. I also feel Adamant Orb should be mentioned so as to give an option to bluff Specs or Shuca. I also feel Flash Cannon isn't so necessary it doesn't have a slash for it, as a majority of fairies will be covered by it's steel type followers like Heatran, meaning Flash Cannon is only really necessary if you fear mono Fairy gods like Xerneas or Arceus-Fairy, so you should at least give Flash Cannon an alternative option for if you feel your followers have fairies covered enough. Earth Power gives it a better matchup vs the likes of PDon, and gives it a more accurate option to hit Excadrill, which can threaten Dialga teams, enabling it to check them both in conjunction with Shuca Berry.

For Team Options, I feel you should mention Skarmory, as Skarm provides what Forretress does while also acting as a better Mence/Rayquaza (watch out for V-create)/Arceus-Normal check. It also provides Defog support, but with the nature of Dialga followers, the only followers who give one about rocks off the top of my head is Kyurem and Dragonite. Also, I'd mention Heatran somewhere as it provides a way to get rocks up vs Mega Sableye without risking the longevity of Dialga, as well as checking a good portion of Fairy teams. It can also run Air Balloon Earth Power to check CroDon, as Dialga dislikes being weakened while beating CroDon. You should also mention more of the dragon type followers - Garchomp is an awesome rocks setter (especially with the TankChomp set) with access to SD to be a win condition, Latios and Dialga have good defensive synergy, with Latios resisting both of Dialga's weaknesses and Dialga resisting Bug, and the duo can overwhelm each other's checks and counters, Dragonite is similar while also providing a solid win condition with Dragon Dance. Mega Latias is solid and can act as a nice general pivot, and can be a win condition with Calm Mind.

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Alright guys!
ChrystalFalchion gave us some quality analysis.
I thought i should give a try.

Overview
Volcanion is the newest addition to the Ou.With a very unique typing and 130 base SPA, volcanion can be a very threatening mon indeed.The water typing gives it access to offensive options like Mega/Regular blastoise, cloyster, mega/regular gyarados etc.It's fire typing also give it acess to some very good offensive users such as Houndoom mega, chandelure and chandelure.Not only offensive, but it also gets defensive partners in Alomomola and tentacruel.

Offensive

Volcanion @ Choice specs/ Life orb/ Choice scarf.
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice] /

Moves detail
Volcanion's best move is in it's Steam Eruption STAB, while hitting anything nuetral to it.Fire blast is yet another deadly move in which it gets STAB boost.It is generally used to take out the steel types namely ferrothorn, as the other three moves cannot harm it.Sludge bomb is used to get coverage against other gods as Venusaur mega(thick fat) and Azumarill(Resisting the rest of it's move).Hp [Ice] hits the dragons hards which resists both of it's STAB

Set detail

Choice specs should be preferred the most on volcanion to let it freely abuse its move while also hitting hard as it can.Life orb also grants Volcanion moves a 1.3 but also gives it the freedom to use all the four moves.While volcanion's speed outspeeds the defensive cores, it still can lose to offensive teams, so a scarf is used to do well better against offense.The evs are max spa and speed, to hit hard and outspeed base 230s with a modest nature.

Usage detail
Even though volcanion can has 120 base defense, it still needs to be careful on what to switch in.The best time to use volcanion is midgame when it's checks and counters are dealt with.Chansey, although rare can wall volcanion totally, while taking any of it's move and curing poison or burn with aromatherapy.Sadly, volcanion itself cannot deal with it unless it's weakened.So, the best way to deal with chansey would be a switch to it's physical attackers.

Team options
Lanturn can be a good defensive partner for volcanion, as they cover up each other's weaknesses bar ground.It can tank the special attk that volcanion fears to come up against, while it also aid it's status with healbell and also work as a slow volt switcher to bring volcanion safely in.Swampert(Mega) can also be a good physical partner for it to deal with pokemons that walls volcanion.Volcanion likes to switch in on scalds and grass based moves that threatens swampert, while swampert itself takes the electric moves.

Last edited:
Niadev Thanks for your suggestions, have made the changes.

Also included a Bulk Up set for Dialga. Looks really gimmicky, but trust me, it works. I used it on a team that peaked around 1550-1600.

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
I and Niadev were warming up a bit when we realised that embargo was not still permanent.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-godsandfollowers-15509 .Just right before the turn Naidv forfeited, embargo was gone.I hope urkerab can fix this on time.
While, some additional informations.Pandora is not using embargo as punishment, i hope whoever runs pandora updates the code.

We are currently on a analyses train, which is awesome!I still would want to here some opinions about the news gods (OU).
This is my opinion about my current favorite god.

Volcanion

1.Volcanion itself can be a threatening special attack that doesnt take a mega
2.Volcanion's ability itself helps it absorb water moves which lets it's fire type followers be less frighten.
3.It gets some really helpful mons in its water typed follwers, namely alomomola, which set access to both healing wish and wish and empoleon which gets acess to defog and stealth rocks both which is a good thing.
4.It gets a good physical attacker Mega swampert in it's team that fills up the mega slot plus works as a strong physical attacker
5.Volcanion typing doesnt only help offensive, but also defensively.Pokemons likeVaporeon and lanturn also help volcanion and its party member be status free and living as long in the battle as possible.While lanturn ability helps it switch against electric moves which makes the opponent always predicting whats coming next.

I and Niadev were warming up a bit when we realised that embargo was not still permanent.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-godsandfollowers-15509 .Just right before the turn Naidv forfeited, embargo was gone.I hope urkerab can fix this on time.
While, some additional informations.Pandora is not using embargo as punishment, i hope whoever runs pandora updates the code.

We are currently on a analyses train, which is awesome!I still would want to here some opinions about the news gods (OU).
This is my opinion about my current favorite god.

Volcanion

1.Volcanion itself can be a threatening special attack that doesnt take a mega
2.Volcanion's ability itself helps it absorb water moves which lets it's fire type followers be less frighten.
3.It gets some really helpful mons in its water typed follwers, namely alomomola, which set access to both healing wish and wish and empoleon which gets acess to defog and stealth rocks both which is a good thing.
4.It gets a good physical attacker Mega swampert in it's team that fills up the mega slot plus works as a strong physical attacker
5.Volcanion typing doesnt only help offensive, but also defensively.Pokemons likeVaporeon and lanturn also help volcanion and its party member be status free and living as long in the battle as possible.While lanturn ability helps it switch against electric moves which makes the opponent always predicting whats coming next.
Confirming - Volcanion in OL+UL definitely seems threatening, has a good pool of followers what with UU being Water Types the tier, as well as threatening to get a kill every time it comes in vs a lot of teams. Suicune is the only thing vaguely mistakeable for being a switchin, and non Rest sets get threatened with burns from SE. Sui also can't really touch it without some sort of Toxic status or stalling it out of SE PP with Pressure. Alomomola is also a good wish passer it has and has Shuca Empoleon to check threatening grounds and defog simultaneously. Mega Swampert is definitely one of it's better megas, I will agree.

While we're all doing analyses (and because I lost the progress on the Dialga RC again and am seriously getting sick of it now...)

Overview:
Mega Salamence is among the best of Gods. This is due to a variety of factors, chief among them being excellent power with Aerilate boosted STABs and absurd physical bulk after Intimidate giving it a plethora of setup opportunities. For reference, it lives an adamant mega swampert's ice punch. It also has a fantastic speed tier, making it nigh untouchable after a dragon dance. However, one of the biggest factors as to why it's so great is it's fantastic pool of followers, giving it almost everything it needs to destroy teams and run on a variety of playstyles, from Hyper Offense, to Balance, to bulky offense, though it struggles with running a stall team for reasons that will be talked about later. However, there are a few things that keep Mega Salamence from being overwhelmingly powerful. Skarmory, it's most reliable check is on a fourth of all teams, and it desperately lacks an ice resisting team mate, as the only flying/dragon viable ice resist is mega gyarados (usable due to base Gyarados being a part flying), who can't be used on account of Mega Salamence gobbling up the mega slot. Next, while it has a gargantuan defensive stat, it's special defense stat is lacking in comparison, meaning while it can take certain 4 time super effective attacks, it can struggle to take 2x super effective attacks on the special side. It's also got a stealth rocks weakness, mandating a reliable defogger, as it lacks a rapid spinner outside of Delibird. It fortunately has several. It also can only set up with Intimidate's help once, so if it's forced out after it's megad, it loses a significant number of setup opportunities. It also faces competition from Rayquaza to a degree, who is marginally stronger with Life Orb, has access to Mega Gyarados, and can run stronger mixed coverage. Finally, if it's running Double Edge, it will often get worn down during it's sweep, while Return worsens it's matchup vs bulkier Pokemon like Primal Groudon, Yveltal, Arceus forms, and Mega Kangaskhan, though they'll all take significant damage after a boost, with only Primal Groudon avoiding the OHKO after the boost.

Sets:
Offensive Dragon Dance:

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return/Double Edge
- Roost
- Earthquake/Substitute/Fire Blast

Moves:
This is the standard all out offensive set. Dragon Dance enables it to sweep, with the STAB of your choice being powerful boosted and unboosted. Return helps for longevity, though Double Edge has more power. Roost helps Salamence recover from rocks damage if it's whirlwinded in while rocks early. Earthquake nails steels, while Substitute enables it to dodge status from the likes of Amoongus trying to Spore to prevent your setup in case you do set up. It also makes it far harder to revenge kill you. Fire Blast lets you lure Skarmory, but doesn't serve much purpose outside of this.

Set Details:
Max speed is run to outspeed as much as possible pre-mega and enables it to outspeed Starmie, Raikou, Thundurus and Choice Scarf Tyranitar while also tying with Alakazam and Arceus forms after mega evolution with a Jolly nature. Adamant max speed outpaces everything up to the fully invested positive natured base 105 speed tier. Max attack allows it to dish out as much damage as possible. The speed is customisable to your team's needs. 212 speed with Adamant would be the bare minimum to outpace base 100s after mega evolution. 232 speed with Adamant outpaces max speed Jolly Garchomp. For Jolly nature post-mega speed benchmarks, 176 speed is enough to outspeed max speed base positive natured 110s, as well as max speed Jolly Mega Swampert in rain at +1, 212 outspeeds ScarfTar as well as tying with max speed positive nature 115s, and 216
outpaces max speed positive natured base 115s. The remaining EVs should be put into defensive stats.

Usage Tips:
If the opponent has a Skarmory, Rotom-Wash, or other Pokemon that check Mega Salamence, avoid mega evolving. If Mega Salamence hasn't got any real set up opportunities or the opposing team is too full of Mence checks, you can still do big damage without setting up. It can wallbreak versus Pokemon like Mega Scizor or Genesect locked into moves not named Ice Beam. If the opponent's team is a rain team an they have a Mega Swampert, and you are running sufficient speed, use Mega Swampert as setup bait, as it lives any hit Mega Swamper has. Watch out for faster rain sweepers though - Timid/Jolly Kingdra will outspeed any variant of Mega Salamence at +1.

Team Options:
Thundurus can break Skarmory for it and weaken Rotom formes enough for Mence to break through. Latios can defog and further weaken Mence's checks with Draco Meteor. Kyurem Black is the closest thing to an ice resist and is an excellent wallbreaker in it's own right, being capable of taking on Skarmory and Rotom-Wash.

Bulky Dragon Dance:
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 188 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Substitute/Earthquake

Moves:
This set is more dedicated to taking on Primal Groudon teams, setting up on Primal Groudon lacking Dragon Pulse and beating the most popular variant, Bulk Up Rest Talk Primal Groudon. Roost enables it to set up far easier and be a general nuisance, Dragon Dance makes Mence hit pretty hard even without investment an remains rather fast. Return is preferred over Double Edge to maximise longevity, though it can be run if you feel Return isn't strong enough. Substitute makes it far easier for Mega Salamence to set up on certain physical attackers and be difficult to revenge kill, while also dodging status and giving it a potential extra boost if the opponent tries to set up on your Substitute. Earthquake can be run if you dislike steels that much, though with the defensive investment of this 'mence, the only really problematic steels are Genesect or Magnezone.

Set Details:
248 HP and 72 defense with and Impish nature enables Mega Salamence to take Excadrill's adamant life orb Rock Slide as a 3hko if Mence is already megad, giving it more chance to set up if Rock Slide flinches. The rest is dumped into speed to outpace as much as possible after a Dragon Dance. There isn't as much customisation with this set as it's designed to live specific hits.

Usage Tips:
This set is far more reliant on setting up than it's offensive set to cause damage. Therefore, removing Skarmory or their Mence check is very important. Avoid setting up until their Mence check is gone or severely weakened. Avoid bringing 'mence in at all vs ice teams as this set has a worse ice matchup vs offensive.

Team Options:
Stealth Rock removal is also absolutely mandatory so Latios is a solid follower. SD Garchomp provides rocks and most importantly a powerful Swords Dancing ground that can destroy opposing steels if you're not running Earthquake. SD Fire Fang variants roast Skarmory as well. SD Talonflame can form an almost birdspam core, while TFlame can also run Flare Blitz to nuke steel teams if you aren't running Earthquake. Kyurem-Black wears down opposing teams while also being a pseudo ice resist due to how bulky it is for an offensive follower. Hidden Power Fire variants also nail steels like Mega Scizor or Ferrothorn.

Checks and Counters:
Strong Ice Type attackers:
These will usually OHKO even Bulky Mega Salamence a lot of the time, especially from the special end. Furthermore, if Salamence lacks a Kyurem in the back, it has to sack something every time one comes in and gets an opportunity to fire it off. Even then, Kyurem needs roost do do this consistently.
Special Attacking Dragon types: Latios can revenge kill unboosted slower Mega Salamence, while scarf will revenge kill boosted adamant variants. Hydreigon struggles a bit more, but will OHKO if it can get an attack in.
Flying resists not weak to ground: Skarmory is the most prevalent of these, with Rotom-Wash and Rotom-heat being others. While Skarm falls to last mon Mence, it phazes it out every other time. Thundurus, while it struggles with boosted Double Edge, can cripple non substituted Mega Salamence with Prankster Thunder Wave and finish it off with Hidden Power Ice. Shuca Berry users like Ice Beam support Tyranitar can also deal with it adequately. While it is reliant on a God, Dialga with Shuca Berry is the best check to Mence in the game - Dialga will always OHKO with Draco Meteor and live any hit.
STAB Ice Shard Users: Though no user can OHKO Bulky MMence and can struggle to OHKO Offensive, the majority can revenge weakened Mega Salamence. Mamoswine and Weavile are the two foremost examples. Donphan is too weak to do any notable damage.
Prankster Status: If Salamence is not behind a sub, these can ruin Mega Salamence, albeit at the cost of themselves, making Mence a lot easier to revenge kill. Klefki is notable as Magnet Rise enables it to dodge Earthquake and resists it's flying STAB. Thundurus can OHKO with Hidden Power Ice, however.
Ice God teams: Kyurem White teams in particular are very problematic, giving Mence almost no setup opportunities. It relies on forcing something out and setting up then.

Last edited:
The last time this was the other meta of the month on the main server, the penalty for your god fainting was a permanent curse effect (like when used by a ghost type). When and why was this changed to embargo?

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
The last time this was the other meta of the month on the main server, the penalty for your god fainting was a permanent curse effect (like when used by a ghost type). When and why was this changed to embargo?
The punishment was changed as after the god dies, the followers had almost 0% chances of making a comeback in the match, which wasnt right.Embargo was the most reasonable replacement

Here's me, back with another analysis. This time, we'll be focusing on the most common follower- Skarmory.

Overview:
Like in standard, Skarmory is a major consideration on many teams. While Skarmory can no longer be easily paired with Chansey or Clefable, that hardly stops it- it's carved out a massive niche for itself. Gods and Followers doesn't alter movepool or typing, so it keeps all of its tools from standard- it's titanic defense, reliable recovery, hazard and support moves, great ability- and its fantastic flying-steel typing.

Changes from OU:
Initially, skarmory was an obvious pick. As one of the few Ou Pokemon used effectively usable in ubers and Anything Goes, It stuck out to even a beginning glance due to its ability to check Pokemon such as Extreme Killer Arceus and Mega Salamence. It even got a fairly major buff in terms of the hazard game, as entry hazards cripple gods without risk to the team. Skarmory is invaluable on both sides of that spectrum, easily setting and removing hazards while staying healthy. Its ability continues to be insanely useful as well- with sturdy and whirlwind, it can stop even the most powerful sweep, albeit once. However, what made it the standout pick for GaF is its typing.
Flying is perhaps the most common type in Gods and Followers, only rivaled by dragon. It sports common and threatening leaders such as Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, Yveltal, Lugia, and Ho-Oh. To make things better, Skarmory resists flying, letting it be used against those very same teams. It also sports a very important rock and ice neutrality, allowing flying teams to patch weaknesses.
Steel is the other reason Skarmory is so ludicrously effective. Dialga, Aegislash, and Steelceus are not uncommon leaders, while both Mega Lucario and Genesect have their uses. Steel is such an exceptional type that an OU, Ferrothorn, is usable solely for giving access to it. Skarmory fits an important role on those teams, granting a ground immunity that blocks Excadrill and a Fighting neutrality.

Building with Skarmory:
Unlike standard tiers, Skarmory fits on nearly every archetype. Hazard removal is too key for even offense to ignore, and many of the premier defogger so are limited to uncommon types. While most common on stall and phasing teams, balance and bulky offense can also make good use of it. Skarmory is a good addition to any team that needs hazard support (like most flying ones), so don't hesitate to add it as a sixth slot.

Sets:
Defensive:
Skarmory @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Whirlwind
- Whirlwind / Brave Bird / Spikes

The main reason to use Skarmory is in this set. A physically defensive Flying-Steel is unique in that it's a steel type that is immune to earthquake, invalidating that strategy of removing resistances. With this set, Skarmory can handle common Pokemon such as Mega Salamence, Mega Altaria, some Rayquaza, and Landorus-T. Defog lets it remove hazards so that your (likely flying) god doesn't take damage, and roost lets Skarmory do so multiple times. Stealth rock is the favored move in the third slot to harm the opposinggid, but if you have it elsewhere toxic is a fine choice. Whirlwind is there solely for if you elect to skip it in the fourth slot, as sturdy whirlwind is an important part of Skarmory's play. Brave Bird stops Skarmory from being setup bait, but harms it and breaks sturdy. Spikes is a nice second hazard, but in most cases Skarmory lacks the time to set it up.

Specially Defensive:
Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic / Stealth Rock
- Spikes / Whirlwind

With a specially defensive set, Skarmory can attempt to take on the Lati twins and support Arceus while still keeping its OU role as a mixed wall. Roost and Defog are nigh obligatory for Skarmory to fulfil its role, but the last two are more optional. Toxic and stealth rock both punish switches, but toxic stops it from being setup bait. Should stealth rock be run, whirlwind is neccesary; otherwise, spikes is superior to pressure any defensive Pokemon on the opposing team.

Niche Sets:

Suicide Lead:
Skarmory @ Custap Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird

Skarmory has all the tools needed for a suicide lead set. It's very rarity is its greatest weapon- it will often have multiple turns to set hazards before being removed. If you want an offensive Skarmory, look no further. Taunt prevents opposing hazards, while stealth rock sets them yourself. After rocks are down, begin laying down spikes to harm all further switches. Custap berry allows Skarmory to go first once badly injured, allowing either another hazard layer or suicide by brave bird to prevent removal.

Team Options:
Flying:
Mega Altaria is a good partner, completing the Dragon-Fairy-Steel set while patching weaknesses. Notably, Altaria resists electric and fire while sporting excellent bulk and reliable recovery. Skarmory, in turn, takes poison, fairy, and steel attacks aimed at Altaria
Talonflame also pairs nicely due to their great synergy- Talonflame hates rocks, which Skarmory removes, while resisting fire and making a good specially defensive wall or burning foes.

Steel:
Ferrothorn is a solid partner, making up for any status or hazard moves that Skarmory cannot carry. Leech Seed is also a great team move, allowing easier switch opportunities and passive recovery. They also only share one weakness, and ferrothorn takes on many special attackers (including Kyogre).
Heatran is perhaps the best Skarmory teammate, period. Not only does it defeat and set hazards on Sableye, Skarmory's nemesis, it also effortlessly removes fire attacks and sponges special hits with its great stats. Heatran effectively breaks stall, helps faze, and even spreads burns. Meanwhile, Skarmory acts as a physically defensive partner, and can take more hits with its active recovery. Skarmory is also immune to ground and nuetral to water and fighting, so they don't share weaknesses.

Playing against Skarmory:
If you want to take on Skarmory, just about any special attacker will do. Fire and electric types are best, but there isn't really a limit. Physical attacker with boosting moves are also often winning strategies- Skarmory can only take so many hits. It's main enemies are Magnezone and Mega-Sableye: the former traps and kills it, while the latter laughs at everything it does.

Conclusion:
Get out there! GaF is an exciting metagame, but there's lots more to explore. Skarmory is just one among many viable followers- don't hesitate to use creativity.

Other announcements:
Gods and Followers Tournament, hosted by Jajoken
Sign ups are open here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/last-god-standing-22-32-signups.3580495/#post-6962348
Get out and play the Metagame

Other Metagames Team Dump
Has some GaF teams, linked here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/other-metagames-team-dump.3572520/. Feel free to look if you want inspiration, or have a team you want to share but lack the time/willingness to add a large description.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but I do believe ROM has a separate meta for Overlords and Underlings. By that, it means you can play OL+UL and it'll automatically check teams by the OL+UL rules instead of by the G+F rules

To celebrate, I'll be posting the teams megaqwer:D and I made for OL+UL:

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Hammer Arm

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Cobalion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Stone Edge

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Crunch

This team is centered around BoltBeam Punch Mega Metagross. BoltBeam Mega Metagross is an absolute monster that can shred tonnes of bulky and slower offensive teams. It's also very bulky and has a decent typing, both defensively and for underlings. We decided to pair it with Slowking to handle grounds that try to beat it, generally pivot with Regenerator, spread yellow magic, fire off scalds and be generally annoying. Celebi is for Suicune, a potential answer to Mega Metagross and Slowking if it's full. Nasty Plot outpaces CM Cune's boosting and wallops it with Giga Drain, and if it's Roar, it can still soften Suicune for Mega Metagross' Thunder Punch later on. It also sets rocks so that's nice. Cobalion is our revenge killer, beating stuff like +1 Mega Sharpedos, and dark teams in general. Volt Switch lets it gain switch advantage, Close Combat wallops things, Iron Head can flinch, and Stone Edge lets us check Talonflame if we're still healthy. Next, we needed a better answer to Mega Scizor and steels in general, so we added Scarf Magneton. Scarf is so we outpace Offensive Mega Scizor, who otherwise beats us with Superpower. It also outpaces things like Torn-T and Weavile, who can be annoying, and is a secondary revenge killer if Cobalion is gone. Finally, we have Lucario, a decent win condition. Crunch is chosen in the last slot because other psychics are annoying. Adamant's probably better for more power and ESpeed, but I guess you can run Jolly.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam

Virizion @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat

Barbaracle @ White Herb
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Protect

The team is built around Specs Keldeo and a bunch of sweepers (and a pivot or two). Keldeo is Hidden Power Bug so Celebi doesn't mindlessly switch in on us. Empoleon is our primary special pivot and rock setter. Checks stuff like CM Waters, primary answer to Latios. Next, our ground resist consisted of sac'ing something, so we added Virizion, who makes up our first sweeper. SD Life Orb is scary with 108 speed. We could change it to a CM variant if we feel a special sweeper is important, but with the testing we did, we never found a special sweeper that necessary, and Keldeo's all the raw special power you'll probably ever need. Stone Edge for birds not named Talonflame, then Dual STABs. Viriz can be considered our primary water answer. Next, we have our more deadly and dedicated sweeper, Shell Smash Barbaracle. The reason we chose this over Cloyster was because Talonflame is a fucking bitch to put it bluntly and Barbaracle can check it semi adequately (Wisp though). Low Kick for steels Dual STAB can't hit, and White Herb to make sure we survive some priority like weaker bullet punches. Conkeldurr is our second pivot, beats Gengar as well, also absorbs status. Ice Punch for annoying grounds like Chomper or Lando, Mach Punch for priority vs things like Lucario, Drain Punch for sustain and damage. Finally, we have our last sweeper and Mega Metagross (it kind of shits on the team so far, it leads and 5-0s tbh) check, Mega Sharpedo. Ice Fang, again, for annoying grounds like Chomper, Protect for the speed boost pre mega, Crunch because 120 base power STAB off 140 base attack is strong, Waterfall because there is no water type crunch unfortunately, max speed and adamant.

Potential issues is with Mega Metagross if it's Rock Polish, but it usually lacks the coverage to KO something on this team if it is RP.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Transform
-

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Zen Headbutt

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Close Combat
- Crunch

There's not really much choice for normal types outside of Offense, but Mega Lopunny is a pretty good offense 'mon. The only other real mega choice that's not Mega Kangaskhan is Mega Audino which is lol. MLop is standard Fake Out offensive with Ice Punch for chompy and landog. Next, we decided on Snorlax over Chansey because it's Snorlax, Chansey's a momentum suck, and this is Hyper Offense, so no momentum is a bad thing. Curse because win condition. Porygon2 to wallbreak specially while also being able to take a hit, as well as distribute yellow magic. Ditto is the general purpose "screw setup" revenge killer. Tauros is our Fighting check, as it outspeeds most fightings outside of MLop (who's revenged by Ditto) and batters them with Zen Headbutt. Fire Blast for annoying steels like Ferro, Rock Climb for hard af hitting STAB. Finally, we have Ursaring, the stallbreaker and physical wallbreaker. After SD, your shit is wrecked if it outspeeds you.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- Iron Tail
- Dark Pulse

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Destiny Bond

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Recover

Based around Weavile with Poison Jab for those annoying af fairies. Hydreigon is Hydreigon, wallbreaks with very little counters, Iron Tail for those annoying Sylveons and Florges, Superpower for Chansey/Blissey, etc. Krookodile is the revenge killer and psychic sweeper. Unfortunately it has to be Intimidate to not be OHKOd to Cobalion/Virizion with scarfs. Pursuit traps. Mega Houndoom is the primary win condition with Nasty Plot, claims souls after a boost. Mamoswine is the rocker and physical wallbreaker and revenges grounds and dragons. Finally, Sableye is the thing meant to check Mega Lopunny who 6-0s otherwise. It still 6-0s tbh but at least I have a fighting resist for scarf fights and a stallbreaker.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Superpower

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Healing Wish
- Protect
- Scald

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rain Dance

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock

I actually made this one by myself when the council were discussing Azu as a banworthy prospect (rn we're focusing on LGS tour), only test chances were really vs Volcanion and Gengar so it wasn't really an accurate representation of Azu's capabilities. I still beat both iirc (RD MegaPert is bae <3). And yeah Azu is still legal so abuse it while you can, same with Talonflame

BD Azu is broken oml. No Knock off because all of the good Azu answers are OU now, and none of them are particularly good Gods (thanks Talonflame .-.). SD Crawdaunt because this is offense and it shits on bulk almost more than Azu, Alomomola is an odd choice but Healing Wish and Wish support are good to get my wincons in safetly, Scald because Scald. MegaPert is my rain sweeper, rain also strengthens Craw and Azu's AJs because fuck you that's why. Slurpuff because BD spam is stronk, and finally Empoleon because rocks. Shuca because iirc this was made pre Mence ban in UU, and it also checks Mamo if that's ever important for whatever reason. Also fucks opposing Megapert.

Team struggles vs Mega Metagross but if I can set up one of the BDers early (preferably Azu) I can take it out before it's too dangerous. As a last ditch attempt I can try and set up MegaPert on it but Grass Knot kind of fucks it over so :(

I have a few more teams I made by myself but I never really got to test them properly.

EDIT: No Niadev Kyurem isn't on the dark spam team smh

Last edited:
The Last God Standing tournament just concluded, and I was very happy to see a bunch of new faces taking interest in the metagame! Most of the people that played in the tournament had little to no experience with Gods and Followers, but everyone did great! I've been gradually been updating the replay section of the OP with all the tournament replays. They're listed by matchup, so if you want to look for ideas of how to play with or against a certain god, check it out!

Now, I'm going to tag everyone that played at least one match in the tour -- if you still have your team imports saved, I'd love it if you posted them so I can add them to the archive! One benefit of the tour's format was that it forced people to use gods they otherwise might not have tried. I know certain gods that weren't very well respected did quite well for themselves (*cough*Shaymin*cough*) and it would be great if people could talk about their experiences with certain gods and share their teambuilding strategies to inform both new and established players.

I'll be posting some more thoughts based on the tour later. I'm also planning a revamp of the viability rankings, so look forward to that.

Thanks!

Akumeoy
Chloe.
rhydreigon
shubaka17
dusk raimon
ih8ih8sn0w
sanjay.
The Ruins of Alpha
sand1234
InfernapeTropius11
Ransei
Qplaz
boxofkangaroos
ihhca
ChrystalFalchion
Betathunder
Kris
Niadev
megaqwer:D
dragonite drake
Knuckstrike
Stocke
Scarfnaut
lost heros
TonyFlygon
Grains of Salt
OM room
Quantum Tesseract
sin(pi)
Chopin Alkaninoff

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
Seems weird to save these teams as they're largely a counterteam and might contain multiple sets which would not be viable normally but are only there because the other team is practically a monotype.

I think that's true of some of them and not for others. Protect Slurpuff was obviously counter-styling on Kanga, while lost heros teams seem broadly applicable even if they do particularly well against one matchup. I'll leave it up to the individual players: if you think that your team wouldn't succeed in general play, you can either tweak a few things or just avoid posting it. Regardless, I'd still like see what people thought up!

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
The Last God Standing tournament just concluded, and I was very happy to see a bunch of new faces taking interest in the metagame! Most of the people that played in the tournament had little to no experience with Gods and Followers, but everyone did great! I've been gradually been updating the replay section of the OP with all the tournament replays. They're listed by matchup, so if you want to look for ideas of how to play with or against a certain god, check it out!

Now, I'm going to tag everyone that played at least one match in the tour -- if you still have your team imports saved, I'd love it if you posted them so I can add them to the archive! One benefit of the tour's format was that it forced people to use gods they otherwise might not have tried. I know certain gods that weren't very well respected did quite well for themselves (*cough*Shaymin*cough*) and it would be great if people could talk about their experiences with certain gods and share their teambuilding strategies to inform both new and established players.

I'll be posting some more thoughts based on the tour later. I'm also planning a revamp of the viability rankings, so look forward to that.

Thanks!

Akumeoy
Chloe.
rhydreigon
shubaka17
dusk raimon
ih8ih8sn0w
sanjay.
The Ruins of Alpha
sand1234
InfernapeTropius11
Ransei
Qplaz
boxofkangaroos
ihhca
ChrystalFalchion
Betathunder
Kris
Niadev
megaqwer:D
dragonite drake
Knuckstrike
Stocke
Scarfnaut
lost heros
TonyFlygon
Grains of Salt
OM room
Quantum Tesseract
sin(pi)
Chopin Alkaninoff
Gonna edit team on to here, since I didn't play second match cause I was struggling to find time and I gave opp the win.

Tl;dr only played 1 game only had 1 team

my teams were all counter teams with dialga, arguably one of the best gods. no need to ever run setup klinklang outside of the tourney tbh

You can have all of my teams for free; some were rather cteamy, but for the most part they were pretty standard. I'll edit this post with teams + explanations for weird bits once I've recreated them bc I deleted some lol.

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 116 HP / 12 Atk / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Rash Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Defog
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Roost

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Lum Bish was mainly there for the stray will-o-wisp, because I saw that was one of the smogon rockceus sets. The Yveltal spread outspeeds Jolly maximum invested Tyrantrum before boosts, and the Skarm spread was given to me by someone for mdiancie. Monoattacking Hawlucha bc who needs multiple STABs when you're against rock. No rocks bc I forgot

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Return
- Heal Bell

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 132 HP / 28 Atk / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Heat Wave

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder Wave

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Weird Lando bc Scarfnaut brought basically the same team for 2 rounds in a row, with not much to hit with EQ. SD on Weavile bc I couldn't think of a better filler.

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Hypnosis
- Encore
- Rest

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 28 Atk / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Rash Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Waterfall
- Outrage

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Aerial Ace

Really standard bar Mana who has Energy Ball for Jellicent and Psychic for Tcroak

I never actually fought ShavedBear so I can't recreate from a replay, sorry about that :/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)