XY OU Getting Competitive: An Inspirational Novel

Getting Competitive
By: Kableye

Prologue
Once a upon a time, a noob by the name of Kableye was laddering on the OU ladder. It had been a long day, his head aching from days of staying at 1200 on the ladder, then suddenly his opponent Defogs on his Bisharp. Shocked, Kableye 6-0ed his opponent with a +4 Bisharp and then vowed to one day produce a team that to abuse his sudden luck.
Bisharp seemed too predictable, and most Defiant users were either really bad or could use better sets. But soon he discovered the Competitive ability, and was introduced to the mystic Milotic. He gathered a team of pokemon built around this angel and brought it here to OU.

Chapter One: The Building

Milotic was obviously the basis of the team. It was give the Competitive ability over the usual Marvel Scale in order to allow it to abuse Sticky Web, Intimidate and most commonly Defog. The only problem with Milotic was that it can't handle most Water types 1v1. So Milotic was partnered with one of the best Pokemon at handling Grass types, Ferrothorn.

It's amazing how well the two synergize with each other (if that's even a word lol). Ferrothorn would set up rocks then unsuspecting players would Defog as Milotic switched in. As will be shown later in the story, Milotic could handle most Defoggers 1v1 as well as do massive damage at +2 to most switch-ins. But against teams without Defog the pair still had issues. To give the team more of an offensive presence, Charizard X joined the ranks.

Charizard X is one of the most dangerous Pokemon in OU at the moment because of how great Fire-Dragon STAB truly is, especially when paired with Earthquake. Yet even Charizard isn't counterless, Quagsire became a huge problem for Charizard, along with Skarmory. Since Kableye was too lazy to actually build a way to counter them, he decided the best thing to do was to trap them with Gothitelle.

With Gothitelle the only thing that now got in the way of Charizard and Milotic were Statuses. Toxic and Paralysis basically wrecked Charizard, so Kableye took a quest and found a Pokemon that not only synergized with Charizard, but could also pass Wishes and remove statuses. This Pokemon was commonly referred to at the time of this story's writing as Clefable.

Clefable also switch in on move that other Pokemon couldn't, specifically Dragons. Ferrothorn could come in on Dragon Claw's and Draco Meteor's, but had to fear a Fire Blast or Punch. This left one last role to fill, probably the hardiest role of all, a Rapid Spinner. A Defogger would ruin the purpose of Milotic, so a Rapid Spinner was the only way. Excadrill soon seemed to most fit this role, as it could reliable run a Scarf set as well, something the team also needed.

And from here, the team of 6 began to raise Competition on the lower OU ladder.
Chapter 2: The Team

Miloetta (Milotic) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 220 HP / 252 SpA / 36 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dragon Tail
As the MVP, Milotic was given only the most attention. This set is meant more to counter switch-ins than anything. Hydro Pump is a main STAB and is used when Im not sure what the opponent is going into since it does lots of damage even if resisted at +2. Ice Beam not only helps it handle grass switch-ins, but since most Defoggers are Flying or Dragon types as well as special or not very hard hitting attackers, Milotic walls them and can demolish with Ice Beam. Hidden Power Grass is to hit Water type switch-in's, namely Rotom-Wash. Dragon Tail lets Milotic phaze out things it doesn't want to face, like Ferrothorn. A few calc's:

+2 252+ SpA Milotic Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 226-268 (74.3 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 220 HP / 36 SpD Assault Vest Milotic: 108-128 (27.9 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

+2 252+ SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 284-336 (94.3 - 111.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 220 HP / 36 SpD Assault Vest Milotic: 133-156 (34.4 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 252+ SpA Milotic Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Scizor: 325-384 (94.7 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 656-776 (186.3 - 220.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 392-462 (102 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
68 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 220 HP / 36 SpD Assault Vest Milotic: 134-158 (34.7 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

These are just a few of the most common Pokemon I can think of it running into.

T-Bolt4Gyarados (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
Ferrothorn is just as important as Milotic in the anti-defog duo. It's my typically lead, used to set up Rocks and then switch out to stall late game with Leech Seed and Protect. Gyro Ball is its major STAB move, which hits extremely hard on fast treats.

Blue (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
Charizard is the main sweeper on this team, used to come in late game and sweep after Milotic and the rest of the team have weaken threats to it. Ive been skeptical about Earthquake or Roost, and I decide Roost since it has such a huge Stealth Rock weaknesses. Obviously Dragon Claw and Flare Blitz are is main STAB while Dragon Dance is used to boost its Attack to monsterous levels. I decided on a bulky set because of how good it is versus the 252 attack and speed set. Even without full investment, Charizard hits like a truck at +1.

Moe Lester (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
The Scarfer of the team, as well as the Rapid Spinner, as well as the only check to fairies. This is also my only major check to Talonflame, as it can live a Brave Bird and outspeed and KO with Rock Slide. The Adamant nature was chosen over Jolly for more damage, but may be swapped if I feel the need to do so.

Copper Tellurium (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
Clefable is here to be more of a team player than a sweeper. Aromatherapy removes statuses on Charizard allowing him to proceed to sweep, while also being able to pass a wish off to him. Moonblast and Flamethrower give it decent offensive options if needed, but honestly with out Calm Mind or a Life Orb Clefable's offensive presence is terrible.

bae (Gothitelle) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
Last but definitely not least is Charizard's best friend. Gothitelle is built to handle most of Charizard's major problems. Thunderbolt is to shock Skarmory, Energy Ball to...umm...saladifiy Quagsire, while HP Ground allow's it to 2HKO Heatran. Psyshock allows it to come in on fighting types that give several members problems.

Conclusion
The team will go on to have many adventures, after being rated by you dear reader. A few Pokemon that really stand out to give this team problems are Talonflame and Azumarill. Ferrothorn can come in on Azumarill but cant do much back, and Talonfame basically demolishes most of the team with Brave Bird and Flare Blitz spam. If you can find a way to make these Pokemon less threatening as well as find any other problems, please post! Thank you for reading! :D

Le Fin

Attachments

Last edited:
Well, sorry to say this, but I have never seen a Milotic in OU. It's outclassed by many bulky waters. If Talonflame and Azumarill is your problem, why don't you try Rotom-W?
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
This will burn physical attackers(like Azumarill), and it will counter Talonflame(although it might get burned). It keeps momentum and still hits fairly hard, but not too hard though.
Although if you use this, your Goth might lose some of its job, since now Skamory is checked by Rotom-W, Heatran is checked by Rotom-W and Scarfed Excadrill, and Fighting types checked by Clefable. Quagsire is checked by your Ferrothorn if you run Power Whip over Gyro Ball.

I would like to recommend you to run Power whip over Gyro Ball since you already have a Steel type move on your Excadrill, and Power Whip will always have 120 Base Power, compared to Gyro Ball being 120 at maximum. Also, it destroys Quagsire.

I love the whole novel concept of the RMT. Very creative! I just need to say that I can't stand it when people reply like the person above replied.
Well, sorry to say this, but I have never seen a Milotic in OU. It's outclassed by many bulky waters. If Talonflame and Azumarill is your problem, why don't you try Rotom-W?
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
This will burn physical attackers(like Azumarill), and it will counter Talonflame(although it might get burned). It keeps momentum and still hits fairly hard, but not too hard though.
Although if you use this, your Goth might lose some of its job, since now Skamory is checked by Rotom-W, Heatran is checked by Rotom-W and Scarfed Excadrill, and Fighting types checked by Clefable. Quagsire is checked by your Ferrothorn if you run Power Whip over Gyro Ball.

I would like to recommend you to run Power whip over Gyro Ball since you already have a Steel type move on your Excadrill, and Power Whip will always have 120 Base Power, compared to Gyro Ball being 120 at maximum. Also, it destroys Quagsire.
NO Shit Sherlock that Milotic isn't seen much in OU, but it doesn't mean it's not viable. Not every mon on an OU team has to be the same regurgitated crap thats on every team. I'm not saying you can't change the set or the mon's, but Milotic is the basis of the team and it's your job as a rater to make suggestions around the basis of the team, not just dismiss it. Try again.

I love the whole novel concept of the RMT. Very creative! I just need to say that I can't stand it when people reply like the person above replied.

NO Shit Sherlock that Milotic isn't seen much in OU, but it doesn't mean it's not viable. Not every mon on an OU team has to be the same regurgitated crap thats on every team. I'm not saying you can't change the set or the mon's, but Milotic is the basis of the team and it's your job as a rater to make suggestions around the basis of the team, not just dismiss it. Try again.
To say it honestly, this Milotic in an OU team looks very gimmicky and no good player will get beaten by this team twice. This team relies on the matchup, the opponent's members, and luck.

Um sir, It's not like Miltoic is sitting at the bottom of Little Cup. It's in UU! I understand if this man was using Milotic with Attract and Explosion, but he's not. He's using a viable strategy of hazard stacking and defog baiting to beat his opponent. Is Milotic the best mon to do this? No. But he has chosen to center his team around it and, once again, it's your job as a rater to make suggestions around the basis of the team, not just dismiss it.

Um sir, It's not like Miltoic is sitting at the bottom of Little Cup. It's in UU! I understand if this man was using Milotic with Attract and Explosion, but he's not. He's using a viable strategy of hazard stacking and defog baiting to beat his opponent. Is Milotic the best mon to do this? No. But he has chosen to center his team around it and, once again, it's your job as a rater to make suggestions around the basis of the team, not just dismiss it.
Sorry for being disrespectful, if you felt like I were. But it doesn't matter if it's UU or LC. What it matters is its niche in OU. What does it do better than other OU mons in the tier? Even you said it, it's not the best mon at doing this. I think the raters should be able to say some things to improve the teams and tell the poster to use better things.
I was trying to help to deal with the threats that were mentioned. That was it.
I wasn't trying to be criticizing, but come to think of it, I should have actually recommended a mixed Defiant Thundurus. It does similar things, still unpredictable, and beats Talonflame and Azumarill, while hitting harder. It's also faster than Lati@s, while OHKOing them.
Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
+2 76 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Superpower vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 191-226 (62.8 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 168-199 (55.2 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 76 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 478-564 (158.8 - 187.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Scizor: 175-208 (51 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 291-343 (82.6 - 97.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 192-227 (50 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 76 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 190-224 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 471-556 (141 - 166.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 330-390 (78 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

any more defoggers?

180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 478-564 (160.9 - 189.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 315-372 (105.3 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 157-186 (52.5 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Well, Naive Thundurus(353) is faster than Adamant Talonflame(351).

180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 228 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 424-502 (106.5 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Choice Banded/Belly Drum variants won't be able to switch in, while an AV set is. It will still lose a lot of HP, possibly dying if you had dealt some prior damage.
180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 281-330 (70 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Now, The Edgar Allen Pokè , is this allowed?

P.S. Milotic does pretty bad in UU as well, just to let you know. It might drop to RU sooner or later.
| 57 | Milotic | 4.338% |
The cut off was the 60th, Houndoom.
| 60 | Houndoom | 3.532% |

Well, again, how well it does in UU doesn't matter. But I can tell you it's worse in OU.

Last edited:

Calm down guys, we're supposed to rate his team, not get into an argument over semantics. Let's just rate his team, Kay' ?

Firstly, I suggest EQ over Roost on Zard X. It allows for my coverage, and allows you to get rid out stuff that would otherwise walk you *Cough* Heatran *Cough*

Next, as a Cleric, Unaware over Magic Guard allows you to stop set-up sweepers in their tracks and laugh at them. This allows you to switch into things that would otherwise instakill you (Belly Drum Azumarill, SD Pinsir).

Lastly, HP Ground on Goth only checks Bisharp and while this may seem all good. Running Trick to cripple walls and Clerics may be better. It also allows for more damage if you lock yourself into something and trap a Pokemon weak to it.

Hope it helps!
-PK

Thanks for the advice! It's ok, I was considering making a second team using something more reliable than Milotic, since while Milotic is awesome it really isn't the best Defiant/Competitive user out there, while I would disagree in saying its just a gimmick in OU, especially on players who don't know what other abilities it gets (That amount of players I've had go "wtf is competitive" is amazing). Milotic itself is a decent Pokemon on its own as well, its just outclassed.

Sorry for being disrespectful, if you felt like I were. But it doesn't matter if it's UU or LC. What it matters is its niche in OU. What does it do better than other OU mons in the tier? Even you said it, it's not the best mon at doing this. I think the raters should be able to say some things to improve the teams and tell the poster to use better things.
I was trying to help to deal with the threats that were mentioned. That was it.
I wasn't trying to be criticizing, but come to think of it, I should have actually recommended a mixed Defiant Thundurus. It does similar things, still unpredictable, and beats Talonflame and Azumarill, while hitting harder. It's also faster than Lati@s, while OHKOing them.
Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
+2 76 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Superpower vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 191-226 (62.8 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 168-199 (55.2 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 76 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 478-564 (158.8 - 187.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Scizor: 175-208 (51 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 291-343 (82.6 - 97.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 192-227 (50 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 76 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 190-224 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 471-556 (141 - 166.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 330-390 (78 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

any more defoggers?

180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 478-564 (160.9 - 189.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 315-372 (105.3 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 157-186 (52.5 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Well, Naive Thundurus(353) is faster than Adamant Talonflame(351).

180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 228 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 424-502 (106.5 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Choice Banded/Belly Drum variants won't be able to switch in, while an AV set is. It will still lose a lot of HP, possibly dying if you had dealt some prior damage.
180 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 281-330 (70 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Now, The Edgar Allen Pokè , is this allowed?

P.S. Milotic does pretty bad in UU as well, just to let you know. It might drop to RU sooner or later.
| 57 | Milotic | 4.338% |
The cut off was the 60th, Houndoom.
| 60 | Houndoom | 3.532% |

Well, again, how well it does in UU doesn't matter. But I can tell you it's worse in OU.
You made some solid points my friend. However, being outclassed doesn't determine viability, and like you said, neither does the tier. Mega Tyranitar is outclassed by Mega Charizard X as a Dragon Dancer. Does that mean Mega Tyranitar is nonviable and every one should be switched with Mega X? NO. If I recall, one dude's RMT peaked high 1800 or 1900 with a fucking Seismatoad on his team. I agree that Thundurus does the shit 10 times beter than Milotic and you should have first said, "I realize Milotic is the basis of your team, but you should try ___ because___. That's it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)