[Gen6] ORAS CAP Metagame Discussion Thread

Alright, let's revive this. We're getting a new addition to our metagame in a few days, not in the form of a CAP Pokemon, but Volcanion. Seeing as it's a Fire / Water type, it's easy to draw a comparison to our own Water / Fire type creation, Volkraken, so I'll compare them side by side.

__
_
Volcanion | Volkraken
/
|
/

____________Water Absorb | Analytic, Infiltrator, Pressure

_80 HP | 100 HP
110 Atk | 45 Atk_
120 Def | 80 Def_
130 SpA | 135 SpA
_90 SpD | 100 SpD
70 Spe | 95 Spe
600 BST | 555 BST
While Volcanion is certainly slower and lacks Analytic to punish switches as hard as Volkraken, it still has a handful of traits to set itself apart. Volcanion has much better coverage compared to Volkraken, with moves like Earth Power, Earthquake, Sludge Bomb/Wave, Superpower, Stone Edge, and probably some other stuff I missed that it can take advantage of, not to mention Scald 2.0. It also provides the metagame with yet another Water immunity with its ability Water Absorb.

So what sets do you guys plan on trying out? How do you think Volcanion will fare in the CAP metagame?

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've played around with Volcanion a little and I love the coverage it gets. Water / Fire / Ground / Poison coverage is actually pretty crazy when it comes down to it in this Mollux meta, especially with that super Scald its packing. I'm interested to see what mixed sets people come up as Volcanion has access to Superpower, Flare Blitz, Explosion, Flame Charge, and some other interesting moves. I ran some calcs and Volcanion has an okay chance to 2HKO Chansey w/ a LO Superpower with some prior damage and rocks, which seems pretty nice to get past those bad Chansey balance builds people like for some reason.

The biggest weakness I've found in Volcanion is that it's speed puts it at a pretty considerable disadvantage against more offensive teams, and in terms of Scarfers I'd rather use Volkraken any day. Volkraken's speed tier is just so much more suited for use as a Scarfer, as it can actually revenge kill Stratagem, Mega Man, and other fast af mons, and Analytic is arguably just as punishing to switch ins as a Steam Eruption burn is.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
After having played with Volcanion, I think I can say a little about it. Honestly, the extra coverage it gains is not worth the speed drop. Volkraken just suits a Choice attacking role much better than Volcanion. I'd love to say it hard walls Volkraken, but Volkraken just smacks it with Power Gem.

It has its roles on Tailwind and Trick Room teams where its speed is mitigated, but, as I said, I just don't see the extra coverage helping out at all.

So apparently the OU players right now are arguing whether or not Dugtrio/Arena Trap should be suspected.
Here's the OP from Leftiez.
Hey my fellow OverUsed players, ABR and I are coming again today in order to talk about something that has been really broken these past months (at least for us and some accomplished users), we are going to talk about Dugtrio and his incredible ability in Arena Trap which allows him to trap every single grounded (except ghost-type) pokemon. Dugtrio has been the success key of defensives archetypes these days and this because of how easily it can neutralize a large amount of threats for Stall, you all can notice the invasion of Dugtrio's stall nowadays because it has been really present on both the tournament scene and ladder.

Indeed it's true that unlike Gothitelle, Dugtrio can not trap any flying-type which means it's obviously not doing better but let's throw a look at this, Dugtrio can trap most of wallbreakers / Stallbreakers that can annoy stall (Kyurem-B / Heracross / Crawdaunt / Tyranitar / Lopunny / Metagross / Weavile / Heatran / Gardevoir / Medicham...)which means you can easily focus on specific threats that he can not trap (ie:Pinsir / Latios / Gliscor / Charizard / Gengar...) and so make a team that is really hard to break without a specific combination of sets or pokemon.

Dugtrio also has the ability to affect hazard metagame in a negative way supporting pokemon such as Espeon / Xatu / Sableye / Zapdos / Skarmory in their job, as you can see Espeon and Xatu are both beaten by Heatran / Tyranitar / Jirachi as Stealth Rock settler but at the end of the day they are all trapped by Dugtrio, however you will probably tell me that they aren't the only one pokemon that can settle Stealth Rock while still beating them (Landorus-T), but once again if you give it a look you can notice that with the help of Dugtrio you can easily find a pokemon that can fill the lack of solidity and create an overall solid hazard control core, per exemple Sableye paired with dugtrio means that Clefable and Landorus-T (Offensive variant) both can settle Stealth Rock easily but if you add Skarmory to fill the gate so what is happening ? Exactly, nothing is going trough this (unless you're using specific set such as Gravity / Smack Down Landorus-T which honestly just sucks because it's only going to work against these kind of teams) and once again we are losing a fantastic answer to Stall (Entry Hazard) mostly because of Arena Trap, i can also point out some similar strategies such as FlamingVictini's team or ABR's one which all are impossible to keep hazard against.

Once again Stall has proven to be one of the most prominent / annoying playstyle by using trap at its best and i guess it should be considered again (at least before SUMO), Dugtrio is making Stall way harder to break than it already is by using its trapping capacities which is uncompetitive, i obviously won't compare Gothitelle and Dugtrio as Gothitelle is clearly one step ahead due to some caracteristics that Dugtrio don't share but we gotta admit the fact that both Shadow Tag and Arena Trap are unhealthy for the metagame in some points in addition to restrict teambuilding at one point where we are forced to play at least 2 wallbreakers a team when there are only a few one.
I think this is a good time for us to look deep into Dugtrio/Arena Trap and test these claims to see how it does in the CAP metagame as opposed to OU.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
I mean I can't deny that Dugtrio is very annoying to face even in the CAP metagame as well due to many common mons such as Crucibelle, Krilowatt, Heatran, Mega Diancie, Jirachi, Cyclohm, etc.. get outsped, trapped, and extremely dented by EQ from this thing. Although the thing that makes it more manageable in my eyes is its heavily reliance on matchup in which in certain games it can't perform at all due to the opposing team potentially carrying a lot of "counterplay" to it. Cap Stall also has a hard time fitting Duggy onto there teams (in which imo its use on stall is the main issue with Dugtrio) and is somewhat harder to fit on teams due to it providing absolutely no synergy or defensive merits to any team. Its annoying but not anything more than that at least in CAP.

Hey,
It's me Mawwy
I don't know anything about cap really but it seems interesting.
Can someone please help me make a team.
Because I don't know the CAP Meta, very well also I wanna learn more...
Sorry if I'm in the wrong place this is my first time on smogon fourms it's hard to navigate...

Sorry, I would like to know if you could enter Pokemon created by me, then leave the data and images

Sakimy
normal-ghost
ability: Disguise
hp 70 atk 110 def 100 spa 10 spd 100 spe 110

Elecdroud
electric-ground
ability: sap sipper / water absorb
ps 80 atk 70 def 50 spa 120 spd 50 spe 125

Sorry, I would like to know if you could enter Pokemon created by me, then leave the data and images

Sakimy
normal-ghost
ability: Disguise
hp 70 atk 110 def 100 spa 10 spd 100 spe 110

Elecdroud
electric-ground
ability: sap sipper / water absorb
ps 80 atk 70 def 50 spa 120 spd 50 spe 125
CAP es un proyecto que se hace por comunidad es decir uno no puede y llegar y subir un pokemon debido a que se hacen en comunidad te recomindo que esperes que habran el cap 23 que hay tu pudes subir un concepto y de hay ENTRE TODOS creamos el pokemon espero que esto te haya ayudado n.n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)