Monotype Frostbite: A Bulky Offensive Ice Team

Banner by Moosical aka Torkool

Hey guys, I'm smub, and I'm usually around the Monotype chatroom on PS. This Ice team has definitely come a long way, from winning week 18 of Monotype Champions, to being the team I used for the Core Laddering Challenge. I've enjoyed using this team quite a bit, especially one set in particular I will get into later. But without further ado, let's dive into the Teambuilding Process

I started off with this core of Kyurem-Black+Cloyster that I conveniently also submitted in the Monotype Teambuilding Workshop. I always loved Cloyster on Ice, and the fact that it got much better with the introduction of Z-crystals this gen made me much more excited to use it. Kyurem-Black is pretty self-explanatory, since it's the best Pokemon on Ice teams.

I then placed the next Ice staple Alolan Ninetales on the team with its great Aurora Veil support, giving Cloyster an easier setup opportunity. It also has that nice Speed tier along with Fairy STAB and Encore utility.

Mamoswine is obviously an important part of Ice teams, what with its great Attack, part Ground typing and access to Stealth Rock. But I wanted to try out a wallbreaking set, which in my opinion is underrated on Ice teams.

Since Mamoswine wasn't running Stealth Rock, I went with Piloswine as my Stealth Rocker instead. Piloswine was not only a Stealth Rocker for the team, but a switch-in against threats like Nihilego and Heatran and a phaser thanks to Roar.

I needed a Rapid Spinner to remove Stealth Rock, which is always a major threat to Ice teams. And the best Rapid Spinner available to Ice teams is Avalugg. I didn't really need Alolan Sandslash since I already had Kyurem-Black for speed control and the team could really use a solid physical wall.

Now let's get into the team!

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
Outrage

Fusion Bolt

Ice Beam

Earth Power

Kyurem-Black is the team's main form of speed control that can also serve as a revenge killer for threats like Mega Charizard Y, unboosted Volcarona, Keldeo, Mega Alakazam and much more. Outrage is for some powerful Dragon STAB in order to break through some neutral targets. Fusion Bolt is without a doubt essential coverage in order to hit threats like Mega Charizard Y and Keldeo. Ice Beam is some solid Ice STAB used to hit Mega Venusaur, which can prove to be a major threat to Ice teams. Finally, Earth Power is used to hit Steel types like Heatran and Excadrill.

Cloyster @ Waterium Z
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 52 Atk / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
Shell Smash

Surf

Rock Blast

Hidden Power [Fire]

Cloyster is the team's late-game sweeper that takes great advantage of Alolan Ninetales's Aurora Veil in order to set up safely. It also serves as the main wincon in matchups like Steel and Fire. The spread makes sure that TR Magearna will always go down to a +2 Hydro Vortex. A Naive nature lets it outspeed Scarf Infernape and Terrakion, which are major threats to just about any Ice team. Surf+Rock Blast essentially lets it solo the Fire matchup after a Shell Smash, and Surf+Hidden Power Fire does a heavy chunk to Steel once a few Pokemon have been sufficiently weakened enough(Ferrothorn, Celesteela, etc.) This set originally had Hydro Pump as the Water STAB, but I realized that I preferred the consistency offered by Surf.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Aurora Veil

Freeze-Dry

Moonblast

Encore

Alolan Ninetales is easily one of the best support Pokemon on Ice teams, with Aurora Veil increasing everything's survivability for 8 turns, not only giving Cloyster an easier setup opportunity, but making the defensive core of Avalugg+Piloswine more effective. Freeze-Dry is the Ice STAB used to hit Water types like Pelipper, Swampert, and Seismitoad. Moonblast is self explanatory as its strongest Fairy STAB in order to hit Keldeo and Terrakion. Finally, Encore is great utility which, again, gives Cloyster an easy setup opportunity, while also making it easier to set up Aurora Veil.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Earthquake

Ice Shard

Icicle Crash

Knock Off

I really love wallbreaker Mamoswine on Ice. While Kyurem-Black performs the wallbreaking role better, Mamoswine offers a few things over it. Some of which being a powerful Ground STAB, priority in Ice Shard, and access to Knock Off to further ease the Normal matchup. I like having the Adamant nature simply for that extra power, but Jolly can work over it if you want to outspeed stuff like Heatran, Bisharp, and Breloom. Earthquake and Icicle Crash are the basic strongest STAB moves. The aforementioned Ice Shard is great for priority. Finally, Knock Off not only helps against Normal's Eviolite core, but it also helps in the Ghost matchup against Jellicent and can catch Latios if it tries to come in on Earthquake in the Psychic matchup.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 15 Spe
Earthquake

Rock Slide

Stealth Rock

Roar

Piloswine is filling the role as the obligatory Stealth Rock setter for the team, while also being able to switch into Heatran and Scarf Nihilego. Earthquake is the basic Ground STAB. Rock Slide is pretty important coverage for hitting Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona. And Roar is used to phase out threatening setup sweepers like Mega Scizor and Mew. 15 Speed IVs are used to underslow Magearna under Trick Room, which is very important since it's capable of 2HKOing it with Earthquake, and it can still survive an unboosted Aura Sphere and even a Twinkle Tackle with decent health remaining.

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
Avalanche

Roar

Recover

Rapid Spin

Avalugg fills the roles of both a physical wall and a hazard remover for the team, while additionally phasing things out with Roar. Avalanche is the main attack in order to get some decently consistent damage output. However, you could run Earthquake over it if you want to hit Infernape and Victini. The aforementioned Roar is nice for phasing out setup sweepers like Mega Scizor and Mew. Recover is pretty much mandatory for sustain. Finally, Rapid Spin is also self explanatory, removing hazards and keeping the team healthy. I've enjoyed using the Rocky Helmet to rack up solid chip damage against physical attackers. But Leftovers can be ran over it if you want passive sustain.

Alright, so that was Frostbite: the Bulky Offensive Ice Team! I really hope you enjoyed it, and if you want to use it, here it is:
Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Cloyster @ Waterium Z
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 52 Atk / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Rock Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 15 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Roar
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Shoutouts to Moosical aka Torkool again for making the awesome banner :)

Ignore where it says "Attached Files", don't know how to get rid of that :/​

Attachments

Last edited:
I would suggest running Roost instead of Outrage on Kyurem-B, but other than that, the team is very solid.
Well, it's a Scarf set, so that would be an extremely poor decision. If it were a wallbreaking set, I would understand, but Scarf Kyurem-Black needs Outrage.

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, this team is overall really solid although I wouldn't really consider the team "Balanced Ice" it's more of a bulky offense or straight up Offense. The team being considered "Balance Ice" makes it hard to propose changes because the team is classified as something that it isn't.
Rate
Adamant Mamoswine hits extremely hard but it isn't worth getting outsped by Tapu Bulu, Breloom, Heatran etc. The team doesn't have reliable switch-ins for most of those Pokemon. Jolly nature > Adamant nature with a Jolly Nature Mamoswine can outspeed and KO all the threats listed above, while losing the power might be an issue against Skarmory (you need 2 flinches to beat it with a Jolly and Adamant nature so it really isn't a major loss). Another change that should be considered is Superpower > Knock Off this would allow Mamoswine to beat Air Balloon Heatran and Chansey compared to Knock Off only being able to beat Jellicent which is only really seen on Ghost teams. This change in general would give the team a better shot in Normal, Steel, and Fire matchups at very little opportunity cost. Proposed Change(s): Jolly nature > Adamant nature / Superpower > Knock Off
Good Luck!
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower

Hello, this team is overall really solid although I wouldn't really consider the team "Balanced Ice" it's more of a bulky offense or straight up Offense. The team being considered "Balance Ice" makes it hard to propose changes because the team is classified as something that it isn't.
Rate
Adamant Mamoswine hits extremely hard but it isn't worth getting outsped by Tapu Bulu, Breloom, Heatran etc. The team doesn't have reliable switch-ins for most of those Pokemon. Jolly nature > Adamant nature with a Jolly Nature Mamoswine can outspeed and KO all the threats listed above, while losing the power might be an issue against Skarmory (you need 2 flinches to beat it with a Jolly and Adamant nature so it really isn't a major loss). Another change that should be considered is Superpower > Knock Off this would allow Mamoswine to beat Air Balloon Heatran and Chansey compared to Knock Off only being able to beat Jellicent which is only really seen on Ghost teams. This change in general would give the team a better shot in Normal, Steel, and Fire matchups at very little opportunity cost. Proposed Change(s): Jolly nature > Adamant nature / Superpower > Knock Off
Good Luck!
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower
Thanks very much for the rate! I changed the title of the thread to avoid any potential confusion. I opted for Knock Off mainly because after I removed the Eviolites from Chansey and Porygon2, I could fire off consistent damage with Earthquake, whereas Superpower could allow Porygon2 to very easily Recover stall until Mamoswine was a non-threat. I also considered Jolly Mamoswine, but I thought the decrease in power from Adamant would undermine it too much. I'll be sure to try it out though. Thanks again for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)