SM Doubles OU Flexible Speed Control

INTRO

My team is a balanced team that functions well in all forms of weather, and has tools for dealing with all forms of speed control. It has decent bulk, and is very flexible with what pair to lead with.

The Team

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature

IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe

- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Aegislash provides a lot for my team, both in helping to discourage/mitigate Trick Room as a form of speed control, and as an offensive presence that cannot be ignored while still providing Wide Guard support to wall Lando-T (especially scarfed/banded).

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 60 Atk / 196 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature

- Hyper Voice
- Double-Edge
- Protect
- Tailwind

Salamence is key to dealing with opposing Tailwind as a means of speed control, while also scoring key OHKOs against threats like Marshadow, Hoopa-U, Lele, and so forth. A mixed set with Tailwind was chosen over the DDance set because this Salamence is a utility for the rest of the team, not my core wincon.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Atk / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran pairs well with Salamence, as it appreciates Tailwind support and Intimidate support. It also isn't scared of Lando-T, MegaMence, after Tailwind, due to HP Ice. It does a good job of checking Aegislash with Earth Power and Heat Wave. A major factor in choosing Heatran was to counter Ferrothorn, which I would struggle with otherwise. While Celesteela can wall its Heat Wave with Wide Guard, this doesn't prevent me from focusing down whatever else my opponent has on the field.

Milotic @ Adrenaline Orb
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 172 SpA / 36 Spe
Calm Nature

- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Protect
- Recover

Milotic stands as a hard counter to Lando-T, and Intimidate in general. After the Competitive/Adrenaline Orb boost, it sweeps alongside another teammate to provide coverage, such as Marshadow. It can survive Scarfed Rock Slide with ease, and OHKO unscarfed Lando-T before it can move.

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

Marshadow is a complete beast right now. It has one of the hardest hitting priority moves in the metagame, only being outdone (I believe) by DDance Zygarde and its Extremespeed. Pair this with Poison Jab's coverage of the Tapus, and perfect neutral coverage with STAB Ghost/Fighting typing, this thing is a monster to deal with (UBERS PLS).

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 156 SpA / 28 SpD
Modest Nature

- Moonblast
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Muddy Water

Fini can sweep while being a total SpDef wall. After a boost, it can tank Tbolts from Zapdos somewhat easily. It fears Ferrothorn, but Heatran/Fini is a good lead into it. Misty Surge is great for taking away Psychic and Electric Terrains from Koko/Lele, while also making the Z-Trick Room into Hypnosis combo much less effective. Pair this with it's ability to soft-wall Amoonguss while Misty Terrain is up, and I think Fini rounds out my team.

OUTRO

This team has kept me handily in the top 100, usually hovering between 1550 and 1640 ELO, but I have higher hopes for it. Any tips for improvement or ratings at all are much appreciated.

Hi, I think you've got a decent team going! I have a couple of changes that I'd recommend, which preserve all the roles you have on your team while giving a greater overall synergy which should help you climb the ladder.

Ok first of all, the small details. You have 4 atk evs on Heatran which should be moved to defense, I imagine this was just a mistake. You should also put Protect over Poison jab on marshadow. Marshadow really needs protect as it isn't the bulkiest mon and you don't require the extra coverage poison jab provides. All of the tapus are covered by your team, or will be with my suggestions.

Now, onto the bigger changes. I am going to suggest you change Milotic because you are stacking weaknesses to zapdos and tapu koko with fini and milotic does not serve as the greatest wincon due to you permanently losing the speed boost upon switching out. Also, milotic is more of a Lando-t deterrent, and better players will make sure to get milotic low/ko it before bringing in lando. I am going to recommend you change to Assault Vest Landorus-T. This still serves as a very good switchin to opposing landorus-t, while giving you consistent intimidate support and a solid tapu koko check, something your team is desperately lacking in.

Now this change means you lose a potential, albeit shaky, wincon. For this reason im going to suggest changing to Dragon Dance Mega Salamence. I know you said you liked tailwind better, but I really think it could work on your team, which will make a lot more sense with my next recommendation.

The next mon im going to suggest you change is Aegislash. Once again you are stacking typings that dont need to be stacked as marshadow serves as a good tr answer while tran is a decent psyspam check alongside the rest of your team. Not to mention that 3 marshadow weaks is risky, especially as there are no resists to its coverage. I think a Tailwind Zapdos would work very well here. this gives a solid form of speed control that you lose by potentially changing to dd mence, while also giving you a great balance core of tapu fini + zapdos, further backed by landorus' intimidate support. This allows you to get tailwind up more consistently while still having a good answer vs bulky waters like opposing fini.

To finish off, since you dont have a z move anymore, id say change Life Orb to Marshadium Z on marshadow. This gives you a nuke to help you destroy trick room setters or just pick up a ko on a threat.

Now for the sets (EV descriptions also in hide tags):

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 8 Def / 120 SpD / 56 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost
- Protect

You survive a 252+ mega gardevoir hyper voice while outspeeding base 150s after a dragon dance, also you dont get 2hkoed by 252+ hoopa-u hyperspace fury.

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Ability: Static
EVs: 244 HP / 56 Def / 76 SpA / 80 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

There are benchmarks for this which i dont completely remember, but i know you live zygarde thousand arrows + grounded thousand arrows. Misty seed helps you be really bulky on the special side, and is important in helping you set up tailwinds.

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide
- Knock Off

Max speed and attack to take hits and deal damage back. Stone edge hits zapdos harder but can miss, while rock slide is weaker but good spread, up to you.

I hope you consider my changes and that they help you out!

Hi, I think you've got a decent team going! I have a couple of changes that I'd recommend, which preserve all the roles you have on your team while giving a greater overall synergy which should help you climb the ladder.

I hope you consider my changes and that they help you out!
Thanks! I really appreciate your reply, it was really well thought out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)