VGC First VGC semi Trick team

Hi guys, how are u?

Some days ago I decided to start a new tier, the VGC'16. First of all I went to see the tier rules, then I watched a lot of video and streams about this...
I have to say that the way of playing is really fun, but I have difficults to understand my opponents mons and which strategy they will use...
That's why a lot of time I lose the game, just because they predict my moves but I can't do the same with them, but I think that I need only time to learn...

So, I tried to build a team for this tier and I do not hide that I took the idea from a team that I saw on a Smogon thread. Now let's see the building phase and then the movesets:

BUILDING

First of all I had to choose my initial core, seeing that I can choose only 2 legendary mons, I decided for Kyogre and Dialga, thinking to a Trick Room Team. Dialga can check mons like Mega Rayquaza and Kyogre, setting Trick Room to let Kyogre start the sweep. Kyogre, on the other hand, can set the rain to win the weather war.

For the first mega I choosed Mega-Kangaskhan because he is a great pokemon. He provides the FakeOut support and he is able to break the sash mons with its fantastic ability. Then I needed a speed control because I didn't wanted a full Trick Room team, where without the room u can't do a lot. That's why I choosed Thundurus with his fantastic Prankster Thunder Wave (expecially for Xerneas, Mega Salamence, Weavile and similar).

Now I needed a Xerneas check (yes I paralyze it and I have Dialga as steel mon, but Dialga doesn't have Flash Cannon in this case). So, seeing that I set the heavy rain I could choose Scizor in this role, deleting its only weakness. I choosed to use it in Mega form, so I choosed my second mega too. It can spam after 1/2 Swords Dance a great Bullet Punch or, seeing the presence of the Trick Room, a powerful Bug Bite. Finally, even if I have Kyogre, I wanted another Groudon Check. The choice was on Landorut-T which can provide me also Intimidate support.

MOVESETS (I state that the spreads are stranges I know, but some of them I saw in videos while others are thought by me):

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 12 HP / 236 Def / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse

As I said the spread is quite strange, after the max SpAtk I wanted to give him some resistances. Obv 0Ivs in atk and spd to benefit of the Room when its set. Protect is always useful in VGC teams as I could see, Water Spout is to deal a massive damage when I'm 100% HP, while when I'm less I can use Origin Pulse. Ice Beam is for coverage.

Dialga @ Lum Berry
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Protect
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder
- Trick Room

The Trick Room setter. Like Kyogre, also here we have 0Ivs in atk and spd. 196 evs in SpAtk allows it to OHKO Salamence with Dragon Pulse and have 68% of chance to OHKO Rayquaza. The rest of the Evs are to raise its bulkyness. Protect useful, Dragon Pulse as STAB preferred to Draco Meteor to avoid the SpAtk drop, while Thunder is to take advantage of the rain when Kyogre is on the field. It can also hit opposite Kyogre. I wanted to use Telepathy as ability but it seems that I can't.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 172 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Low Kick
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch

Another spread that I saw in a video. In this case I wanted to max the speed to use it also without the room. I think that the moves are quite standard, maybe the presence of Low Kick can be strange. It allows me to hit opposite Kangaskhan and other mons like Dialga, Ferrothorn and similar. Fake Out to the beginning, Double-Edge as awesome STAB and Sucker Punch as priority.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Even if this mon has to spam Thunder Wave mainly, I wanted to give him a full offensive set. Protect, Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt are standard (Thunderbolt>Thunder to not depend on the Rain always), while HPFire is to hit Ferrothorn, Scizor, Mawile and other steel types.

Scizor (F) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 200 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite

This is the last mon with 0Ivs in spd, after a Swords Dance I can do massive damage in priority, even if with this speed. While if I'm in Trick Room I can spam also a powerful Bug Bite. I saw the spread on Smogon, it allows me to survive HP Fire of Gengar and OHKO him then, but under the rain this is not a problem.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Explosion

The last member which gives me a powerful Intimidate support to check mons like Groudon, Salamence, Rayquaza and all the physical sweepers. Earthquake is the main STAB, even if it hit also my partners, Rock slide for coverage and to hit both of them while explosion is to end with a big BOOM. The spread is also in this case from Smogon.

So this is the team, please help me to improve it and myself because this is a really fun tier and I'd like to play in it, thank u all in advantage.

hi Savior37, cool team you have, nice to see dialga + kyogre being put to good use.

i noticed in your introduction that you said that you had a difficult time trying to see what your opponent's strategy is. i'm going to link the vgc frameworks thread so you can see the most common archetypes and how their builds are so that you have more of an idea of what they're going to have. here is the frameworks thread.

now onto the rate.
OVERALL_CHANGES

i commend your skills on building a team well; there's only one pokemon that i would consider changing. switching mega scizor to ferrothorn would better benefit your team for a couple of reasons. for one, mega scizor is quite mediocre in this metagame quite simply because regular scizor does all that mega scizor does but at the freedom of an item choice. ferrothorn benefits this team better than regular scizor because you need another reliable primal kyogre and xerneas answer which ferrothorn provides.

Ferrothorn @ Expert Belt
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect
OR
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

both of these ferrothorn sets can fit onto your team, and they both have slightly different purposes. the first one is a bit more offensive, able to immediately pick up the knock out on most all primal kyogre and xerneas. 60 spdef sassy lives 2 water spouts from primal kyogre from full. the second one is a tad bit more defensive, aiming to take on both in the same match should the situation come to it. it lives many combinations of primal kyogre's and xerneas's attacks and can retaliate for some decent damage. power whip and gyro ball are the mandatory stab attacks while leech seed is nice to be able to sap hp from other opponents. protect is quite the vgc staple which allows ferrothorn to sap health from opponents and stall field effects which is quite beneficial.

SET_CHANGES

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

this is a bulkier primal kyogre variant that's able to take attacks like zap plate raichu's volt tackle and choice banded mega rayquaza's dragon ascent most of the time. it also makes jolly primal groudon's precipice blades a 2hko and ohko univested mega kangaskhan. this is more useful to you because it allows it to check double primal teams more reliably with both hp and defense and not just defense. the moves are the same as before so there's not much else to explain here.

Dialga @ Lum Berry
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 116 SpA / 76 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower / Flash Cannon
- Trick Room
- Protect

this is a more optimized spread for your dialga that allows it to live precipice blades and earth power from 252+ primal groudon. it also lives a draco meteor from mega rayquaza which is quite useful here. thunder on dialga is pretty useless coverage especially now that you have ferrothorn here to check primal kyogre. flamethrower allows you to hit opposing ferrothorn which is quite useful and flash cannon is secondary stab and should be used if you feel like ferrothorn isn't an issue. the other moves are no different.
note: telepathy dialga is locked into the modest nature which is why you couldn't use it before.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt

taunt on thundurus allows you to check smeargle much better and has overall more utility than what hidden power fire had. hidden power fire only hits ferrothorn and you have a few other ways of dealing with it, so that isn't needed.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 156 Atk / 92 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Explosion

this is a more refined landorus-t spread that makes brave bird from talonflame a 3hko while being as fast as possible with the rest dumped into attack for as much power. superpower hits pokemon like kangaskhan harder than its other attacks and is better over protect on a choiced set such as this. explosion when paired with dialga's telepathy allow you to get a powerful attack off before you faint with no harm done to dialga at all. that said use it with caution; don't use it if you know you'll need it later in the match.

that's about it. this should fare a little better against most common vgc teams. good luck in your future battles!

Overview
to

set changes on
, and

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Dialga @ Lum Berry
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 116 SpA / 76 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower / Flash Cannon
- Trick Room
- Protect

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 172 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Low Kick
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt

Ferrothorn @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 156 Atk / 92 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Explosion

Last edited:
Hey GradeAGarchomp , first of all thank u for the rate and for the guide that u adviced me.

I can't believe that a powerful mon like Scizor is not useful in this meta D: Anyway I'll try Ferrothorn, I'm curious of the Expert Belt set.

Ok also for the spread that u adviced me, but I note that only Ferrothorn has 0 ivs in spd, it must be so or also Dialga and Kyogre should have 0 ivs in spd?

I'm too much curious of this tier, serious, it's really more strategic than the single tiers imo... I hope to learn fast the basis because I wanna improve myself.

Hey GradeAGarchomp , first of all thank u for the rate and for the guide that u adviced me.

I can't believe that a powerful mon like Scizor is not useful in this meta D: Anyway I'll try Ferrothorn, I'm curious of the Expert Belt set.

Ok also for the spread that u adviced me, but I note that only Ferrothorn has 0 ivs in spd, it must be so or also Dialga and Kyogre should have 0 ivs in spd?

I'm too much curious of this tier, serious, it's really more strategic than the single tiers imo... I hope to learn fast the basis because I wanna improve myself.
they can, no problem about that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)