First real team - Never gone "Pro" - Is it worthy?

Hi guys, I'm new to Smogon, and competitive Pokemon as well. Being a college kid, I have access to a large group of gamers who gather every Thursday, and our recent theme was Pokemon with the release of Gen6. Having never made a competitive Pokemon team, outside playing to the weaknesses of every Elite Four team, I am fairly new to the competitive side of Pokemon. The team I put together was all with movesets/EVs from Smogon, so I decided I'd post my team here, and possibly either get suggestions on how to improve it, or simply a push in the right direction.

So, here we go!
(Also, please note that these are in no particular order, but I generally started with Tentacruel and Toxicroak)

#1 GENGAR
Poison Ghost

TYPE: Sub Disable
ABILITY: Levitate
NATURE: Timid
@ Black Sludge

- Substitution - Normal
- Disable - Normal
- Shadow Ball - Ghost
- Pain Split - Normal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Why I chose Gengar: I started off with Gengar for his Mega form (which was quickly banned), and kept him for his utility for taking down any Mon with large HP while sometimes healing itself, and putting away moves that would normally be used to sweep the team.

#2 CROBAT
Poison Flying

TYPE: Stallbreaker
ABILITY: Inner Focus
NATURE: Jolly
@ Black Sludge

- Brave Bird- Flying
- Taunt - Dark
- Roost - Flying
- U-Turn - Bug
EVs: 176 HP / 192 Atk / 4 SpD / 136 Spe

Why I chose Crobat: Let's put it this way. One of the fastest Mon in the game. Enough said. With its speed, Crobat can smack down almost any Mon with a swift Brave Bird to the face before it can react, and lead the next turn with U-Turn into a hard-hitter like Drapion. I also run Taunt as a viable move in case someone threw out a Mon among the likes of Amoongus or Blissey.

#3 TENTACRUEL
Poison Water

TYPE:
ABILITY: Clear Body
NATURE: Calm
@ Leftovers
- Toxic Spikes - Poison
- Surf - Water
- Rapid Spin - Normal
- Rain Dance - Water
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD

Why I chose Tentacruel: I chose Tentacruel for it's "tanky-ness" in the first few turns. I originally chose Tentacruel to come in, rain dance for Toxicroak, and then continue to spike and then spin until it left. He is usually a starter with Toxicroak, but he is up for debate on whether or not he still belongs on the team.

#4 DRAPION
Poison Dark

TYPE: All-Out Offensive
ABILITY: Sniper
NATURE: Jolly
@ Choice Band

- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Venoshock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Why I chose Drapion: Choice Band. +%50 Attack. What? Drapion was amazing the way I was playing him during the few battles I played with him. He replaced a Dragalge, and has been doing his job perfectly. Choice Band along with his ability Sniper lead to usual 1-hit KO's with Earthquake on several Mons. Venoshock is a finisher for any opposing pokemon already badly poisoned by spikes/toxic, and Pursuit is used specifically for chasing off any troublesome Psychic types, and usually does heavy damage if not killing them.

#5 AMOONGUS
Poison Grass

TYPE: Pivot
ABILITY: Regenerator
NATURE: Calm
@ Black Sludge

- Spore - Grass
- Giga Drain - Grass
- Clear Smog - Poison
- Toxic - Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 52 SpA / 116 SpD

Why I chose Amoongus: What more can you ask for than a 100% accuracy Sleep? Not only that - But Clear Smog was used several time to clear up any confusions my opponent had on whether or not they would win. Being the only Mon I run with Toxic, Amoongus not only puts problematic opponents to sleep, he sets up Drapion for a Venoshock KO, and has sustain with Giga Drain + Black Sludge.

#6 TOXICROAK
Poison Fight

TYPE: SD Puncher
ABILITY: Dry Skin
NATURE: Adamant
@ Black Sludge

- Swords Dance - Normal
- Sucker Punch - Dark
- Drain Punch - Fighting
- Ice Punch - Ice
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe

Why I choose Toxicroak: Getting off a single Swords Dance at the start of a match, paired with a Rain Dance from Tentacruel usually set my team off to a good start, and left plenty of options open for future decisions. I chose 3 sustains for Toxicroak, because I was unsure of how long he would be able to stay in battle without them. Pairing Drain Punch with Black Sludge and Toxicroak's Dry Skin ability can put him back to great condition while still dealing a bit of damage.

Welp, that's it guys. Please remember I'm new to all of this, so I don't have fancy gifs from the anime or anything, and I'm not really even sure this team is some-what decent, if it is usable at all.

All CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is fine, but don't just tell me, "dis team is bad quit pokemanz pls"

EDIT: It seems I may have tagged a few people without knowing I was doing so... Oops! Apologies in advance! >:/

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi :) while it's nice that you've decided to try the Doubles tier out, this really wouldn't make a very good doubles team for a number of reasons. However, you can still learn lenty about the tier here and join us on IRC as well (link is in my signature and is called #doubles) where there are plenty of people who'd be willing to help you improve in your battling skills. hope to see you there :)

dis team is bad quit pokemanz pls

But honestly, Mono-Type rants and nitpicks aside, I kinda like it overall. Amoongus, Crobat, and Gengar are actually really good Pokemon in Doubles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)