First attempt

So as the title states, this is my first attempt at making a competitive team on Pokemon Platinum. I'm not using Pokesav, and I am trying to get good IV's and EV train, so I want to get it right the first time. After a week of gathering the tools ( EV training equipment, the berries, nutrient drinks, rare candies) I'm finally ready to start building my team. Not everything is completely my idea, but nothing is copy and pasted either.

Scizor @ Choice band
Ability: Techtician
Nature: Adamant
-U-turn
-Bullet punch
-Aerial ace
-Roost
Scizor, is going to be my lead. It may seem odd, but I am using him as a scout so my Kabutops doesn't die before he has time to do his job. I have aerial ace on him as an awnser to some common fighting types. Other then that, he is meant to scout and revenge kill when possible.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sncronize
Nature: Bold
-Mean Look
-Baton pass
-Wish
-Yawn
Umbreon is meant to be a support. I send him out, yawn, mean look, and then baton pass. Yawn is suppose to force the switch. I haven't looked completely into it, but I'd imagine that Umbreon can take atleast 1 fighting type hit before bitting the dust. Wish is meant to heal up ma dudes.

Flygon @ Shell Bell:
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Adamant
-Substitute
-Screech
-Earthquake
-Dragon claw
Flygon is meant to punch holes in the enemy with screech/earthquake. Shell bell may seem like an odd choice, but it is used to throw off the opponent. Most flygons use life orb, but i want to be able to heal off the substitute damage and leftovers would reveal my bluff of life orb too soon. Ideally I'll have rocks up, and screech will get some scared foes.

Houndoom @ Life orb
Ability: Flash fire
Nature: Modest
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse
-Flamethrower
-Beat up
Houndoom is supposed to be a set up sweeper. Nasty plot once or twice, and proceed to wreck shop. I won't reveal beat up until something specially bulky switches in hoping to wall my special sweeper. That's about all for houndoom.

Electiver @ Expert belt
Ability: Motor Drive
Nature: Rash
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (ice)
-Cross chop
-Psychic
Electiver is meant to be a late game threat. He is also meant to take out the fighting types that my team is destined to have troubles with. Hits why I went with Rash nature. He needs to be able to take a physical hit or too, so I'm going to need all the defense I can get. Other then that I'll balance the attack stats.

Kabutops @ Focus Sash
Ability: Battle Armour
Nature: Careful
-Stealth rock
-Rapid Spin
-Stone edge
-Aqua Tail
Kabutops is meant to be a utility with the possibility of getting off some damage. Normally, people would use him as the lead, but I plan on using scizor to make sure it is safe for kabutops. I threw on battle armor, because I have no way of getting rain. While it is possible for my opponent to use rain, I'm not sure how often that will actually happen. So why not put a little faith in battle armor.

I know it is against the rules to not post EV's yet, but that is something that I'll need to perfect depending on my team which I haven't finalized yet. Any advice at all would be welcome. Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon.
P.S. Sorry about no pictures, I couldn't figure out how to add them.
~Jace~

Hello, and welcome to smogon.

I know you don't want to put evs on there as you haven't finalized them, but you haven't actually made the pokemon either, right? Just theorize some ev sets. It's pretty easy. For scizor, roost has no place on a choice band set, as you don't want to get locked into a recovery move. I would suggest replacing it with superpower, as it injures magnezone and heatran, two prevalent checks to scizor, as well as maiming everything weak to fighting. As for flygon, screech is absolutely useless, and shell bell doesn't bluff squat, because they'll see the healing right after you attack. If you really want the healing that badly, replace screech with roost and make your item life orb. Substitute + roost means flygon can get behind a sub and then start to hammer away with life orb boosted attacks. If the sub hasn't been broken yet, he gets a free roost.

You also have no steel type to take powerful boosted outrages and draco meteors from the likes of salamence and latios. I would suggest replacing electivire with choice scarf magnezone for two reasons. One: let's face it, electivire sucks. Two: It provides a powerful revenge killing force as well as something that hits hard on the special side. He also provides something that can resist dragon type moves, meaning he can deal some damage back with the correct move.

Magnezone @Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed | Naive | Magnet Pull
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power Ice
~Flash Cannon
~Explosion

Here it is, scarf magnezone. Ok, so thunderbolt is used mainly for STAB. Hidden Power Ice is chosen to give something to hit dragons with. Let's face it, you already beat all the steel types you trap anyway, so why use hidden power fire? Flash Cannon is filler because magnezone's movepool sucks. Hey, at least it hits tyranitar hard. Explosion is there to go out with a bang.

Ok, now, you have too many pokemon weak to fighting. That means we have to find the weakest link right now, and guess who it's going to be? That's right, it's houndoom!!! Now, you still need fire type coverage, and you don't want to be weak to fighting. Your team lacks a sweeper capable of punching holes on both the physical and the special side. The easiest way to fix this is by replacing houndoom with infernape. Infernape punches holes on both the physical and the special side with close combat and fire blast.

Infernape @Life Orb
EVs: 64 Atk, 252 Sp. Atk, 192 Speed | Naive | Blaze
~Fire Blast
~Close Combat
~Grass Knot
~Hidden Power Ice

Basic specially-based mixnape for gen 4. Fire Blast and close combat combine for good STAB. Grass knot hits most water types hard, just watch out for gyarados and vaporeon. Hidden Power Ice hits dragons hard, which is nice, because they resist everything else on the set. This means they may think they can switch in to you when they really can't. This gives you the opportunity to nab yourself a ko with hidden power ice.

Ok, your team really doesn't need rapid spin, as you have no pokemon weak to stealth rock, an umbreon who can heal pokemon as they are coming in, and have no trouble with toxic spikes (thanks to the cleric umbreon set I'll talk about later). As of right now, kabutops is horribly outclassed as a stealth rock tank by Swampert, so replace kabutops with swampert.

Swampert @Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 216 Def, 40 Sp. Def | Relaxed | Torrent
~Waterfall
~Earthquake
~Ice Beam
~Stealth Rock

Pretty simple set, dual STAB coverage + ice coverage on grass types. Stealth rock is there because every team needs stealth rock, and swampert sets it up effectively.

Swampert does everything kabutops did and more. He can tank and kill a variety of threats to your team, such as jolteon, heatran, and salamence. It can also act as an effective lead due to its ability to be able to set up stealth rock and beat many common stealth rock leads such as aerodactyl and non-grass knot azelf, but watch out for taunt.

For umbreon, I would suggest replacing his set to a specially defensive cleric set with heal bell. You have no set-up sweepers, so mean look + baton pass is almost completely pointless! Why not use heal bell and other stuff instead?

Umbreon @Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Def | Careful | Synchronize
~Payback
~Heal Bell
~Wish
~Yawn / Protect

Basic specially defensive cleric umbreon set. Payback gives umbreon some decent form of attack. Heal Bell heals all status from your team, which is very effective at stopping stall teams, especially ones that operate using toxic spikes. Wish heals teammates. Yawn can be used to force switches or put them to sleep. Protect can be used over yawn if you want your wish to hit umbreon next turn and you want to guarantee that you take no more damage.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the team!
~KoB

I'm taking your advice on most things, but I'm thinking about using this umbreon and this Tyranitar instead of flygon.
Umbreon @Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def | Careful | Synchronize
~mean look
~Heal Bell
~Wish
~baton pass

Tyranitar @ Life orb
EVs: 252 Att 252 speed 4 hp |jolly |sand stream
~dragon dance
~rock slide
~crunch
~fire punch

This way my mean looker will be able to be used to allow tyranitar to set up atleast 2 or 3 dragondances which should be enough to kill most things in one shot. How does that sound?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)