Fakemon Central (read the rules in the OP)

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

First stage is based on the cymbal clapping monkey, who's overall cheerful and likes to applaud good performances, while the latter stage is a performer/celebrity who the base stage cheers on, using its tail to extend into a playable guitar. According to my understanding of the fairy typing, it doesn't need to be limited to mythology and overall cute creatures, but also be related to idols and performers (much like Mr Mime and Sylveon), hence why it gains that typing upon evolving. Electric typing generally comes from their mechanical features and overall fuzzyness. However, I realised after naming them that neither chimpanzees and orangutangs have tails, which both clearly have, so some input on whether or not I should change those names or not would be nice (and if yes, suggestions are welcome).

I enjoy the pinwheel concept for Pinweed, but I'm slightly let down to see it largely discontinued after evolution. Repkite sports a fine design that stands very well in its own right, but put together with its prevo I'd say it raises eyebrows. I understand that the inspiration evolves from pinwheel -> kite, but aren't there any traces left of the prevo's most prominent feature? If you manage to incorporate that into Repkite I think it would make for a superior design.
I chose the progression of two wind-dependant recreations as the basis of these designs, and not how a pinwheel is either improved or built further upon, since pinwheels are rather difficult to add to a design without making it seem odd or misplaced, hence why the frill lizard is such a good base animal for it. So while I usually try to keep certain visual perks from the base stage, sometimes I focus entirely on "upgrading" a particular feature to one similar to it in concept or appearance.

Other comments -- if I'm not wrong you tried to work aviation goggles into Repkite's design? While it's certainly clever, I do think the black shiny eyes push it just past the line. As a suggestion, I believe retaining some elements of Pinweed's eyes would work better, while keeping the rim of the goggles intact.
Agreed. Also added goggles to Pinweed since that design was a bit lacking, as per PixelMoniac_'s advice. The original post now has the edited and final version.

started as an evo to ssensseh's fakemon, but then...er, i got carried away?
now it's some really terrifying unicorn, it may be a bit too messy to be an actually fakemon ;v;
Chimeras and manticores are definitely awesome creatures to work with through a Pokemon perspective, but I'm afraid your skills as an artist took over and made this design too overcomplicated and realistic. It's a great creature as is, but not very Pokemon like. The skull could probably be omitted since the creature by itself is cool enough.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Oh so there was something like this, haha. Might as well chip in a WIP.

It's basically a mono-ghost fakemon line named Spectrilo and Terroquist, based on a possessed ventriloquy doll that evolves into... well, a taller ventriloquy doll with Slender Man inspirations. It's sort of a challenge since Slender Man doesn't have a face, yet Pokemon often has to have a face somewhere. So I tried making the faceless "head" look like a hand and made the arms similar to the "head" to divert attention.

I'm still internally debating on whether to leave the Darkrai-esque lower body or try giving it legs to stay true to the Slender Man inspiration.

I'm still internally debating on whether to leave the Darkrai-esque lower body or try giving it legs to stay true to the Slender Man inspiration.
I'd change it, it really looks a lot like Darkrai now.

Anyway, stuff.

Ghost/Steel
Shed Skin/Corrosion/Weak Armor
60/80/50/110/100/80
Colour scheme: dark gray (inner body), steely gray to rusty orange (cloak)

Some kind of spirit which inhabits abandoned industrial areas, using scrap metal to build itself a solid body; however due to its influence the metal quickly rusts and flakes off.
(DISCLAIMER: I seem to have unconsciously ripped off The Pokémon Factory's Plutice; I guess this still needs more work.)

Grass/Fairy
Overgrow/Sap Sipper
65/105/70/95/90/110

Based on the Jackalope, hence the Fairy typing. Final form out of three, possibly a starter (gains Fairy only at the last stage). Planned progression is skin spots -> simple horns -> three-pronged horns and 1 -> 3 -> 5 lobes for its tail leaf.

Miasmadame
Fairy/Poison
Healer/Corrosion
101/78/66/111/77/29
Colour scheme: white (mask), dark gray/black (main body), purplish pink (fur boa)

Branched evolution of Spritzee, with a more offensive slant than Aromatisse. Based on a plague doctor (thus it keeps Healer) with hints of the Flatwoods monster.

Dragon/Poison
95/135/90/100/90/90
Colour scheme: white (plumage), dark green (snake body), gold (beak, "crown" and legs)

Pseudo-legendary, based on a basilisk/cockatrice with some Chinese dragon influence. Planned progression is chicken (normal/poison) -> wyvern-like chiken -> this.

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

It started out as a design for the new fairy/fighting CAP, but when people commented that it looked more like Fairy/Psychic I felt inclined to agree. It's an anteater lamp that evolves into a genie released from said lamp, keeping the lamp as its head. Names come from Anteater+Ether, and Genie+Energy.

just a small idea of a iguana....dragon...water thingy >v>
i remember coming up with these names around 5 years ago ;v;
Works good as a base stage, but like you said, nothing too spectacular about it right now. Sea horses has been done fairly often (Kingdra, Dragalgae), but no bipedal creature thus far, so that could be one approach.

It's basically a mono-ghost fakemon line named Spectrilo and Terroquist, based on a possessed ventriloquy doll that evolves into... well, a taller ventriloquy doll with Slender Man inspirations. It's sort of a challenge since Slender Man doesn't have a face, yet Pokemon often has to have a face somewhere. So I tried making the faceless "head" look like a hand and made the arms similar to the "head" to divert attention.

Really like the composition of the base stage, as it brings a lot of focus to the fake face while the real one is cleverly put aside. The scond stage seem to be a bit gritty for my tastes and could use further simplification, and I'm at loss of suggesting any concrete suggestions without taking away from your concept.

Ghost/Steel
Shed Skin/Corrosion/Weak Armor
60/80/50/110/100/80
Colour scheme: dark gray (inner body), steely gray to rusty orange (cloak)

Some kind of spirit which inhabits abandoned industrial areas, using scrap metal to build itself a solid body; however due to its influence the metal quickly rusts and flakes off.
The flavor seems weak but I like its owl inspired appearance, with the rusted iron creating featherlike sheets around it.

Grass/Fairy
Overgrow/Sap Sipper
65/105/70/95/90/110

Based on the Jackalope, hence the Fairy typing. Final form out of three, possibly a starter (gains Fairy only at the last stage). Planned progression is skin spots -> simple horns -> three-pronged horns and 1 -> 3 -> 5 lobes for its tail leaf.

Miasmadame
Fairy/Poison
Healer/Corrosion
101/78/66/111/77/29
Colour scheme: white (mask), dark gray/black (main body), purplish pink (fur boa)

Branched evolution of Spritzee, with a more offensive slant than Aromatisse. Based on a plague doctor (thus it keeps Healer) with hints of the Flatwoods monster.

Dragon/Poison
95/135/90/100/90/90
Colour scheme: white (plumage), dark green (snake body), gold (beak, "crown" and legs)

Pseudo-legendary, based on a basilisk/cockatrice with some Chinese dragon influence. Planned progression is chicken (normal/poison) -> wyvern-like chiken -> this.
These seem fairly uncreative. Jackalopes definitely fit that typing, but right now it looks like a deer than a rabbit, so you should revisit that sketch if you want to give the creature its proper physique. Miasmadame is probably better off as a species of its own rather than a relative to the Aromatisse line. The poison typing can definitely justify some darker features in the design, and yours seem to mimic Aromatisse in various ways except with a taller, sleeker figure. As for your cockatrice, it looks like you wanted to add both chicken and dragon features without satisfying either side, so given how many lizards that exist already in the Pokeverse, I'd say the head should be more cock/chicken like and the rest of the body can have a fair mix between the two.

fakemonsbetter123.png

(lol i cbf to shade them) but here they are! n_n
So I decided to create fakemons that represent the changing seasons in the Pokémon world. Estraya representing the Summer and Winter solstices as reflected by her Fire & Ice Typing while Lustraya represents the Autumn and Spring equinoxes with his Grass & Fairy typing. They're both psuedo-legendaries and so have the beautiful 600 BST that comes with that. I don't know what else to say but I hope you guys like them!~​

Bummer

Jamming to the beat

Drew these yesterday and completed today. Not one of my more serious designs, but the idea of having a corn cob evolve into a popped 'zombie' cob felt like a new spin on the zombie lore without actually introducing rotten flesh. Their BST are largely the same, as it's meant that the base is perfectly capable of thriving on its own, but that the second stage is an alternative form of it. Haven't decided what will be the evolving factor, but levelling up while poisoned seems somewhat feasible, and thus I included that status in one of their respective abilities.

Edit: Whipped up another.

Snails based on running water from urns and pots. I made the base stand upright since I felt having it similar to its final stage would make the process rather monotone and in risk of becoming another "it just gets bigger" thing. I suppose it can turn itself upside down and crawl away, but having the base as a filled urn and the final the urn getting emptied felt right at the time. Names come from Mollusk + Urn and Aqua + Escargot.

View attachment 66285
(lol i cbf to shade them) but here they are! n_n
So I decided to create fakemons that represent the changing seasons in the Pokémon world. Estraya representing the Summer and Winter solstices as reflected by her Fire & Ice Typing while Lustraya represents the Autumn and Spring equinoxes with his Grass & Fairy typing. They're both psuedo-legendaries and so have the beautiful 600 BST that comes with that. I don't know what else to say but I hope you guys like them!~​
You clearly put a lot of thought into this, the seasons are definitely an unexplored area among the legendaries and definitely something worth designing a Pokemon around. However, I don't really feel that creativity reflected in the designs. The color schemes are the only thing hinting towards their respective seasons, but despite being legendaries, I don't see that as a good reason to be vague as these two are basically two animals with mystical objects added. More visible hints towards their respective season (snow, old leaves, spring flowers, summer greens in general) would help combat this. I'd also suggest letting them represent seasons that lie adjacent to each other, as that's easier to illustrate. Putting summer and winter together, two opposites, will only make the design suffer and the color scheme certainly doesn't mis together well. So having winter/spring and summer/autumn, or spring/summer and autumn/winter, visualised would be far easier and make more sense.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Any particular reason why you chose to keep the hind legs instead of making it a literal seahorse?
I like Vaporeon's design. I want this thing to be mobile on land too.

fakemon icelion.jpg

I actually am ok with the leaked Popplio evo, but I agree with most people that it was too feminine.
So I tried drawing a slightly less feminine one.
But something's weird with this image. I know I don't like the drawing, but I can't tell why.
It feels that some skills are lacking.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat

Based on urchins and how a "land" mine progresses into a naval mine, where two units fuse together much like Magneton and Metang.

View attachment 67356
I actually am ok with the leaked Popplio evo, but I agree with most people that it was too feminine.
But something's weird with this image. I know I don't like the drawing, but I can't tell why.
It's more of an alternate version of Dewgong than a Popplio design, particularly so since it's not primarily blue anymore and is thus portrayed more as a ice/fairy typing if anything.

Based on urchins and how a "land" mine progresses into a naval mine, where two units fuse together much like Magneton and Metang.

It's more of an alternate version of Dewgong than a Popplio design, particularly so since it's not primarily blue anymore and is thus portrayed more as a ice/fairy typing if anything.
Which program do you use to draw these?

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist

Noting the silly and almost lovable look of a pelican's beak, I wanted to doodle a Fakemon design that could cleverly use a pelican's big beak and also do justice to the bird, since the only pelican mon around is just blue pelican Pelliper.
I soon thought of a Ground/Flying pelican with a pail beak, that by playing and flopping through the sand sometimes manages to make sand castles, while I could've just went with pelican with bigger castle beak for the evo, I thought a bit out of the box and made a grumpy pelican with an excavator beak, and later on a similar physique to one as well. While at first the relation between the pail and excavator was just digging sand up, with the similar format of both mechanism's castletop-like ends, I ended up with a pretty connected looking design between the two.

While I could just keep the odd sand digging link around, which I honestly quite like, I could also do a straight up industrial digging line or pail line, though each one has their own odd quirk that would complicate things, like how the most different industrial digging instrument I could think was a good old shovel, which doesn't really mesh well with a pelican beak.

Going to line this line (hehe) soon! Stay tuned!

Potential Names: Pailican and Pelexcan

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
Realised I wanted to do a Normal/Rock Armadillo, and after thinking of various ways to make its rock hide something more than just "it has rocks as its back", I realised that their ball curling abilities could make them pass off as a mimic Pokemon a la Electrode and friends.

Will probably need to make a pre-evo as well, but as far as I'm concerned it works as a single stage too.

Pelicans and large digging equipment could work yeah, just emember to give them some sort of lid as otherwise they'll be missing half their beaks. Going for Ground/Flying, or a Steel/Flying?

I recently found an incomplete fakemon in my sketch book and decided to tweak its design:
Previous sketch

This is the updated one. It's based off of a siamese cat, mixed with a satori/Touhou Project's Koishi Komeiji :'D. It has 5 eyes (guess where the 5th one is).
It's a bit all over the place. The fact that large part of its design is inspired by a character from a different game (one I've never seen before despite knowing of Touhou) makes me concerned that a lot of the references will just fly over people's heads, making the design seem nonsensical instead. A cat with multiple eyes sounds like a cool concept, but right now it seems like you've just tried to fit them all on the face (I assume the fifth is on the forehead), rather than creating pseudo eyes in other places (like its ears, for instance). Nice drawing, but it feels convoluted.

Would it be okay if users submitted Fakemon of custom types? I had an idea for this one typing that focuses on healing and wind-elementals simultaneosuly; we don't have a true "medic" type, and Flying doesn't cover wind users very well. I want to avoid slapping a Fairy typing on many of my designs, such as the carrot-colored bunny from the previous pages.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat

Realised that the plant components in a snowman could be enough to justify a Grass/Ice typing. Main concerns atm is that the design is too simple and doesn't deviate far enough from literally any snowman. Also got the "scarf as arms" from another fakemon design. Sadly, its body anatomy means that its stats won't be too different from Abomasnow's, but I wanted to give it more speed and one attack stat ahead of the other, didn't felike copying Snow Warning however but if anyone has a better suggestion for an ability then VM me.

Would it be okay if users submitted Fakemon of custom types? I had an idea for this one typing that focuses on healing and wind-elementals simultaneosuly; we don't have a true "medic" type, and Flying doesn't cover wind users very well. I want to avoid slapping a Fairy typing on many of my designs, such as the carrot-colored bunny from the previous pages.
It'd be fine, but introducing a new typing without roperly defining what it is will be difficult to work with, as I personally don't see much connection between winds and healing and certainly not enough to justify a wide variety of species.

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
October, the spooky month is right around the corner, and I've got a ton of spooky Fakemon, so I might as well commemorate the month by drawing them!

First line up we have these guys, which sure have a funny backstory behind them.

I was wanting to do a rather generic Water-type drinking bird mon, but when designing it on the spot I ended up shifting the design entirely once I started designing the top hat and body of the bird, and also when I discovered the stuff inside drinking birds wasn't just tinted water, but some wacky chemicals! I then went with the wacky idea, and made a beaker-shaped drinking bird, that can inject the poison chemicals inside it by pecking foes by dunking its head like your usual drinking bird!

With this neat idea in mind, I didn't just want to have it used on only one Pokemon, and wanting to do a prevo, I thought of tiny flightless birds like Kiwi and such, since drinking birds don't have wings, and so made a small kiwi beaker, with an alternate shape to the big one's more lanky beaker design.

These birdies don't have wings, so they couldn't be Poison/Flying (even Doduo could be hiding wings under their feathers to use Fly!). And while I could stretch things and go with Poison/Water, I went with good ol' pure Poison.

Name Etimology:
Flaskiwi = (Flask + Kiwi)
Drinkemist = (Drink, as in Drinking Bird + a shortening of Chemistry)

Notable Moves: Sludge Bomb, Sludge Wave, Toxic, Venom Drench, Clear Smog, Haze, Mist, Drill Peck, Explosion

EDIT: Fixed up the stats on the baby bird! C:

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat

Revamp of this http://bummerdude.deviantart.com/art/Rawk-Fakemawn-252485113

Fell for the temptation to give them all their own crystal color, but I'm gonna give the base stage the same color as the middle one since the color is kind of a big deal. Unlike the earlier versions, the final stages also has another theme to them, being based on rocks/bodies in space. Leftmost is rock/fire based on meteors, and then rock/electric satellite and rock/ice comet.

I like the concept, but I feel that the concept needs to be more embedded into the bird so that it seems more like a creature than a vial with legs. You can keep their overall body form and transparent stomachs, but I'd suggest redoing their necks and heads and see if you can make them more similar to actual birds, the foam on top can be made into plumage for instance. No wings necessary either.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
CRITIQUE MEGAPOST

First stage is based on the cymbal clapping monkey, who's overall cheerful and likes to applaud good performances, while the latter stage is a performer/celebrity who the base stage cheers on, using its tail to extend into a playable guitar. According to my understanding of the fairy typing, it doesn't need to be limited to mythology and overall cute creatures, but also be related to idols and performers (much like Mr Mime and Sylveon), hence why it gains that typing upon evolving. Electric typing generally comes from their mechanical features and overall fuzzyness. However, I realised after naming them that neither chimpanzees and orangutangs have tails, which both clearly have, so some input on whether or not I should change those names or not would be nice (and if yes, suggestions are welcome).

I chose the progression of two wind-dependant recreations as the basis of these designs, and not how a pinwheel is either improved or built further upon, since pinwheels are rather difficult to add to a design without making it seem odd or misplaced, hence why the frill lizard is such a good base animal for it. So while I usually try to keep certain visual perks from the base stage, sometimes I focus entirely on "upgrading" a particular feature to one similar to it in concept or appearance.

Agreed. Also added goggles to Pinweed since that design was a bit lacking, as per PixelMoniac_'s advice. The original post now has the edited and final version.

Chimeras and manticores are definitely awesome creatures to work with through a Pokemon perspective, but I'm afraid your skills as an artist took over and made this design too overcomplicated and realistic. It's a great creature as is, but not very Pokemon like. The skull could probably be omitted since the creature by itself is cool enough.
your best fakemon. cohesive and attractively coloured. Clever inversion of colors. You took a risk with the abrupt change of fur texture / clothing change / anatomy but the colors and theme match well enough to hold it together. nothing wrong with this one that i can see.

just a small idea of a iguana....dragon...water thingy >v>
i remember coming up with these names around 5 years ago ;v;
hind legs seem too stumpy (unless it's kneeling, in which case anatomically it's still quite janky) With regards to contours / etc it seems rather incoherent re: the frigid stripes and the raggedy frills and spinal ornament. I think in general I'm just not sure whether this is supposed to be a second- or first- stager (and the name labels don't help, haha). Good start though, I just think your execution is a bit muddled. Paring off unecessary aspects of your design and giving it a bit more focus and polish will really give you something great. Your way of drawing eyes is also really cute and appealing.

Both designs feel far too cluttered to me, filled with clashing visual elements that kind of turn me off of the whole design. The hand gripping mask approach is an intriguing one but I feel you've diluted it by adding this whole second body (and second face, right under the 'mask' face and almost squashed by it)... That is to say I understand what you're saying about diverting attention but I think it's the wrong approach to take with a strong concept like this. I like the potential transtion from mask-holding to mask on back of hand with the evolution though, that's quite clever.

Drew these yesterday and completed today. Not one of my more serious designs, but the idea of having a corn cob evolve into a popped 'zombie' cob felt like a new spin on the zombie lore without actually introducing rotten flesh. Their BST are largely the same, as it's meant that the base is perfectly capable of thriving on its own, but that the second stage is an alternative form of it. Haven't decided what will be the evolving factor, but levelling up while poisoned seems somewhat feasible, and thus I included that status in one of their respective abilities.

Edit: Whipped up another.

Snails based on running water from urns and pots. I made the base stand upright since I felt having it similar to its final stage would make the process rather monotone and in risk of becoming another "it just gets bigger" thing. I suppose it can turn itself upside down and crawl away, but having the base as a filled urn and the final the urn getting emptied felt right at the time. Names come from Mollusk + Urn and Aqua + Escargot.

You clearly put a lot of thought into this, the seasons are definitely an unexplored area among the legendaries and definitely something worth designing a Pokemon around. However, I don't really feel that creativity reflected in the designs. The color schemes are the only thing hinting towards their respective seasons, but despite being legendaries, I don't see that as a good reason to be vague as these two are basically two animals with mystical objects added. More visible hints towards their respective season (snow, old leaves, spring flowers, summer greens in general) would help combat this. I'd also suggest letting them represent seasons that lie adjacent to each other, as that's easier to illustrate. Putting summer and winter together, two opposites, will only make the design suffer and the color scheme certainly doesn't mis together well. So having winter/spring and summer/autumn, or spring/summer and autumn/winter, visualised would be far easier and make more sense.
strong 'mons. Cornby is in my opinion, the weakest link. It looks a bit too silly, to the point of looking ridiculous. In my opinion it needs a pretty thorough reworking.

View attachment 66937

I wanted a Water Ponyta.
concept is strong. Perhaps something more to put in the hair (the mane is full and shapely, but perhaps some kind of sparkles in it to draw more attention to it) Likewise the fins on the hooves and the tail should be simplified to spread visual appeal around.

I had very fun with their names.

Any particular reason why you chose to keep the hind legs instead of making it a literal seahorse?
Eddgehog's a little bland. And to be quite honest, so is Punkopine. Not much else I have to say about these two.
I like Vaporeon's design. I want this thing to be mobile on land too.

View attachment 67356
like bummer said, looks too much like dewgong

Lurchin feels almost alien to me. Some things I might suggest to give it more of an organic feel: make the blobby underside more blobby (looks kind of rigid as it is now, but not enough to create a feel of solidity. Basically it's kind of toeing the line, which is visually uncomfortable). I also don't understand the transition from cyclopean to two-eyes at all. It's really distracting, and I suggest you keep the number of eyes constant throughout the design. Armine's aggressive feel isn't really emphasized enough (it's shown in the eyes, but its spines are kind of blunted and it has those weird pillars sticking out of its sides, which take away from the explosive visuals I feel you were going for). A bit weak designwise, in my opinion, but it may just have to do with the core concept being so similar to Qwilfish that drastic measures had to be taken to separate your 'mons visually

Noting the silly and almost lovable look of a pelican's beak, I wanted to doodle a Fakemon design that could cleverly use a pelican's big beak and also do justice to the bird, since the only pelican mon around is just blue pelican Pelliper.
I soon thought of a Ground/Flying pelican with a pail beak, that by playing and flopping through the sand sometimes manages to make sand castles, while I could've just went with pelican with bigger castle beak for the evo, I thought a bit out of the box and made a grumpy pelican with an excavator beak, and later on a similar physique to one as well. While at first the relation between the pail and excavator was just digging sand up, with the similar format of both mechanism's castletop-like ends, I ended up with a pretty connected looking design between the two.

While I could just keep the odd sand digging link around, which I honestly quite like, I could also do a straight up industrial digging line or pail line, though each one has their own odd quirk that would complicate things, like how the most different industrial digging instrument I could think was a good old shovel, which doesn't really mesh well with a pelican beak.

Going to line this line (hehe) soon! Stay tuned!

Potential Names: Pailican and Pelexcan
I'm digging the concept. (ha ha). In my opinion an upper lid isn't necessarily required, if anything it would make for a welcome challenge designwise. Otherwise it's obviously very rough and needs some work.
I recently found an incomplete fakemon in my sketch book and decided to tweak its design:
Previous sketch

This is the updated one. It's based off of a siamese cat, mixed with a satori/Touhou Project's Koishi Komeiji :'D. It has 5 eyes (guess where the 5th one is).
why does it have five eyes?

Realised that the plant components in a snowman could be enough to justify a Grass/Ice typing. Main concerns atm is that the design is too simple and doesn't deviate far enough from literally any snowman. Also got the "scarf as arms" from another fakemon design. Sadly, its body anatomy means that its stats won't be too different from Abomasnow's, but I wanted to give it more speed and one attack stat ahead of the other, didn't felike copying Snow Warning however but if anyone has a better suggestion for an ability then VM me.

It'd be fine, but introducing a new typing without roperly defining what it is will be difficult to work with, as I personally don't see much connection between winds and healing and certainly not enough to justify a wide variety of species.
their faces look far too similar in my opinion. But otherwise, strong start.
October, the spooky month is right around the corner, and I've got a ton of spooky Fakemon, so I might as well commemorate the month by drawing them!

First line up we have these guys, which sure have a funny backstory behind them.

I was wanting to do a rather generic Water-type drinking bird mon, but when designing it on the spot I ended up shifting the design entirely once I started designing the top hat and body of the bird, and also when I discovered the stuff inside drinking birds wasn't just tinted water, but some wacky chemicals! I then went with the wacky idea, and made a beaker-shaped drinking bird, that can inject the poison chemicals inside it by pecking foes by dunking its head like your usual drinking bird!

With this neat idea in mind, I didn't just want to have it used on only one Pokemon, and wanting to do a prevo, I thought of tiny flightless birds like Kiwi and such, since drinking birds don't have wings, and so made a small kiwi beaker, with an alternate shape to the big one's more lanky beaker design.

These birdies don't have wings, so they couldn't be Poison/Flying (even Doduo could be hiding wings under their feathers to use Fly!). And while I could stretch things and go with Poison/Water, I went with good ol' pure Poison.

Name Etimology:
Flaskiwi = (Flask + Kiwi)
Drinkemist = (Drink, as in Drinking Bird + a shortening of Chemistry)

Notable Moves: Sludge Bomb, Sludge Wave, Toxic, Venom Drench, Clear Smog, Haze, Mist, Drill Peck, Explosion

EDIT: Fixed up the stats on the baby bird! C:
cool concept. Perhaps a tad cartoonish for Pokemon standards (by that i mean exaggerated angles, wacky zigs and zags, poofs, etc).<- meaning changing the proportions should be considered as an option.
Realised I wanted to do a Normal/Rock Armadillo, and after thinking of various ways to make its rock hide something more than just "it has rocks as its back", I realised that their ball curling abilities could make them pass off as a mimic Pokemon a la Electrode and friends.

Will probably need to make a pre-evo as well, but as far as I'm concerned it works as a single stage too.

Pelicans and large digging equipment could work yeah, just emember to give them some sort of lid as otherwise they'll be missing half their beaks. Going for Ground/Flying, or a Steel/Flying?

It's a bit all over the place. The fact that large part of its design is inspired by a character from a different game (one I've never seen before despite knowing of Touhou) makes me concerned that a lot of the references will just fly over people's heads, making the design seem nonsensical instead. A cat with multiple eyes sounds like a cool concept, but right now it seems like you've just tried to fit them all on the face (I assume the fifth is on the forehead), rather than creating pseudo eyes in other places (like its ears, for instance). Nice drawing, but it feels convoluted.

the concept is so strong, but the execution is, I'm sorry to say, really boring. It just looks like a normal armadillo!

Revamp of this http://bummerdude.deviantart.com/art/Rawk-Fakemawn-252485113

Fell for the temptation to give them all their own crystal color, but I'm gonna give the base stage the same color as the middle one since the color is kind of a big deal. Unlike the earlier versions, the final stages also has another theme to them, being based on rocks/bodies in space. Leftmost is rock/fire based on meteors, and then rock/electric satellite and rock/ice comet.

I like the concept, but I feel that the concept needs to be more embedded into the bird so that it seems more like a creature than a vial with legs. You can keep their overall body form and transparent stomachs, but I'd suggest redoing their necks and heads and see if you can make them more similar to actual birds, the foam on top can be made into plumage for instance. No wings necessary either.
these look like enemies from Steven Universe. Guess that could be a good or a bad thing.
I'm glad you kept that brown color to tie the line together.

As for me:

I am satisfied with the first stage of this electric snake line but do feel that the second stage is a bit non-Pokemon-y...any suggestions or opinions on what to do with it?

Hey I thought i'd post a few quick sketch wip designs for a pseudo legendary line from here. Theyre based on a dragonhead caterpillar (look it up) and is meant to look aggressive and brutish. (Warning they are a bit large i tried resizing but it hugely impacted the already low image quality)

A note on the last one you cant reallt see it but the body is segmented and the wings are meant to be draconic mothlike wings i was just too lazy to come up with a pattern, inspired after traditional dragons mixed with the dragonhead, any questions or critique really appreciated!

Note: colours would likely be a darkish green with yellow eyes and blue irises, abilities probably intimidate rock head and no guard or hustle, moves would include dragon rush bug bite roost bug buzz dragonbreath slash headbutt iron head poison tail etc

Last edited:

Jackii

pyukumukumukuyp
is a Top Artist Alumnus
CRITIQUE MEGAPOST

hind legs seem too stumpy (unless it's kneeling, in which case anatomically it's still quite janky) With regards to contours / etc it seems rather incoherent re: the frigid stripes and the raggedy frills and spinal ornament. I think in general I'm just not sure whether this is supposed to be a second- or first- stager (and the name labels don't help, haha). Good start though, I just think your execution is a bit muddled. Paring off unecessary aspects of your design and giving it a bit more focus and polish will really give you something great. Your way of drawing eyes is also really cute and appealing.
ohh i almost forgot about this; but thank you! Yea, i'm a terrible fakemon designer =v= i just thought the names were kinda clever ehe >:'D
really liking the electric snakes! concept reminds me of that cord snake i think bummer designed once but i really like the colours with this one

ahh pix, i think the images are broken for me ;==;

speed paint of something a friend described to me as "a pokemon that can roll up into a ball"

the design is rather simple but this was just the basis

Jackii yeah my image links were broken just fixed them, on your fakemon im gonna be honest it doesnt look very pokemoney its very menacing and non cartoony, also i find the ballness rather unclear/slapped on. Having said that it does look very good and i like how you've shaded it

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
strong 'mons. Cornby is in my opinion, the weakest link. It looks a bit too silly, to the point of looking ridiculous. In my opinion it needs a pretty thorough reworking.
While I originally tried to make Cornby seem a bit more nauseaous/show early symptoms, I eventually settled on just making it a regular "citizen" since its infected counterpart is the real idea behind the design. That said, I do see the concerns about it being boring, since I did gave it a BST so that it can be used independently, so I wouldn't be opposed to redesigning this at a future time.

Eddgehog's a little bland. And to be quite honest, so is Punkopine. Not much else I have to say about these two.
Some minor tweaks could probably be done to make them seem more appealing, but early critters are as bland as they come, and showing the eyes on the base stage would re-insert it into "Shaymin look-a-like" territory.

Lurchin feels almost alien to me. Some things I might suggest to give it more of an organic feel: make the blobby underside more blobby (looks kind of rigid as it is now, but not enough to create a feel of solidity. Basically it's kind of toeing the line, which is visually uncomfortable). I also don't understand the transition from cyclopean to two-eyes at all. It's really distracting, and I suggest you keep the number of eyes constant throughout the design. Armine's aggressive feel isn't really emphasized enough (it's shown in the eyes, but its spines are kind of blunted and it has those weird pillars sticking out of its sides, which take away from the explosive visuals I feel you were going for). A bit weak designwise, in my opinion, but it may just have to do with the core concept being so similar to Qwilfish that drastic measures had to be taken to separate your 'mons visually
I can give Lurchin more blob-like appendages, would probably be good to break off against all the sharp shapes anyway. However, regarding the transition to two eyes and pillars on its sides, that's coming from the fact that two Lurchin merge together to create one Armine, much like how two Beldume create Metang. So if that choise didn't succeed, then it's a shame, but it's not something I'd change as it's such a core element.

their faces look far too similar in my opinion. But otherwise, strong start.
Not always a bad trait, but I getchu, although I feel some leeway is allowed since snowmen have few options on what to make the eyes with, along with how it evolving to a larger snowman is literally how an actual snowman works. Gonna look into wardrober accessories and see if I can dazzle it further.

the concept is so strong, but the execution is, I'm sorry to say, really boring. It just looks like a normal armadillo!
Agreed, hence why it never survived past the sketch phase.

As for me:

I am satisfied with the first stage of this electric snake line but do feel that the second stage is a bit non-Pokemon-y...any suggestions or opinions on what to do with it?
Looks cool, wouldn't worry too much about it not looking like a Pokemon, although enlarging the final stage's eyes could remedy that. Would love to hear some more about the concept though, right now I feel I'm looking at the result of "draw a snake and make it look like poison/electric", the associations are all there but a reference to something electrical would be nice (unless there is one and I'm just uneducated).

Bummer edit: reuploaded the pic and adjusted its size, original can be found here

Description
It´s a water/ice type pokemon with features of both a husky and a polar fox. It's the third stage of a starter pokemon. I'm not really sure what the first stage would look like, but I am sure that it would be called Flufsky.

Gracolar is a graceful and majestic pokemon, but it can be tricky and deceiving if it needs to. It's streamlined body and thick tail makes it a fast diver and swimmer, although it has some problems speeding up in the water if it doesn't accelerate on land first. It's fur keeps it warm in the cold environment it lives in.

The main problem I have with my own design is that it doesn't really strike as a water and ice type, which is partially because of my lack of drawing skills. I'm not really sure what I can add to the design to make it stand out more, so some feedback is appreciated.

movepool
Gracolar is specifically designed to not suck, so I came up with a movepool and stat distribution that lends it many options. It has a signature move called quench, which works exactly like scald, but instead of possibly burning the target, it freezes it solid. Here is a list of the most notable moves that Gracolar learns.

Main stab moves: quench, surf, hyrdro pump - blizzard, ice beam, freeze-dry, frost breath
Main coverage moves: Moonblast - aura sphere - shadow ball
Boosting moves: calm mind, agility - howl, work up - nasty plot
Main utility moves: baton pass, encore, wish - taunt - aurora veil, hail - aqua ring - trick

Gracolar can run sweeper sets with it's powerful stabs and coverage, along with a boosting move. It can also run different kinds of incredibly annoying serene grace + quench sets to make passing boosts or wishes really easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)