Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Earthquake​

Very standard on HO, a staple cleaner. Normally would run Hyper-Cutter, but I rarely lead with this 'mon: by the time I bring it out, any intimidate users (essentially just Lando-T in OU) are long gone. Mold Breaker has its uses but Rotom-W has seen a fall from grace in recent times. Moxie has had niche uses for me, and if you can predict an opponent to sac, or if you SD without mega-evolving and are confident in the rolls, then that extra +1 can be vital in a sweep. EQ over CC because I run into Toxapex on most teams, and I have Ttar for Chanseys (but I'll get into that later). I feel like you need to play super aggressive with this 'mon, and hard switching into something it soft walls can often win games instantly, his bulk isn't terrible for a 'glass cannon'.

Tapu Fini @ Assault Vest
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf
- Nature's Madness​

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 184 HP / 74 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Fini: 180-212 (55 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
I often struggle with Koko, not having a scarfer that outspeeds it, and often in order to get some vital chip it's necessary to bait the thunderbolt in order to get a Moonblast off. This thing eats Charizard-Y Solarbeams for lunch, and completely stops non-protean Gren in it's tracks. It's a very good sponge for any special attacker and will surprise any opponent bringing in Ferrothorn, Scizor, or anything weak to its surprising coverage. Lando-T is OH-KO'ed after Stealth Rocks most of the time, and Heatran is always 2H-KO'ed. Using Misty Terrain offensively to set up against bulkier teams that spam status with Pinsir is also very handy.

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass]​

As a scarfer, Volcanion fails somewhat at speed control, however the surprise factor is invariably useful. It will always OH-KO Lando-T from full, and puts a massive dent in anything switching in. If it is brought in against something weak to and slower than non-scarfed Volcanion, the opponent will often switch in a 'mon that is faster, but can be 2H-KO'ed. Taking a Steam Eruption on the switch, they will stay in assuming they are faster, and that is where the surprise factor kicks in. Sludge Bomb is more of a mid-ground attack if the enemy has both water and fire resistances, and is vulnerable to poison. HP Grass is for the occasional Quag or Swampert, but can be replaced by Focus Blast. It is also essential in out-outmaneuvering rain teams, and switching it into a specs Hydro Pump allows for massive recovery and momentum. It's very presence on a team will often make opponents hesitate when clicking that water move.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
Another fairly standard 'mon on HO. Not much to say about Band-Tar that isn't already known. I often use it as another sponge to double into something more aggressive, but the weather control is really nice versus rain and getting sandstorm chip while switching. The main problem my team (and I suspect most teams) is dealing with stall. Band-Tar is an incredible wall-breaker but sometimes even that is not enough against full stall. I often have to heavily predict and outplay in order to even get chip on Chansey (i.e. switch in TTar on the Chansey switch, and then predict the switch out with pursuit, all of which can go horribly wrong) and if there is one glaring error with my team it would be its capability to handle stall.

(Although perhaps that says more about my skill as a player than the team haha..)

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn​

Probably a little too standard for my liking, Lando-T does what it does best - being an incredible physical wall, and getting up rocks. I often lead with this or Volcanion. Often an HP Ice on the switch to an opposing Lando-T is necessary to gain momentum, but otherwise deals with most teams deftly.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock​

What I'd say is the weakest link of my team. I use Latios to deal with Toxapex, and as a reliable defogger, as well as another ground immunity. The special bulk is decent even with no investment, and Psyshock puts a good dent in Chansey, but often I end up saving this as sac fodder. The HP Fire is to deal with hazard-setters who would otherwise wall Latios like Ferrothorn and Forretress, but I'd like to change it to Roost.

Conclusion:
I don't feel satisfied with how standard the team can feel at times, and although it sees decent success (laddered with only this team to 1600) I feel like it is limited by the Latios, and of course, any stall teams. I would greatly appreciate any criticism, and advice how to make it better. At the end of the day I'd rather see less success with a team that is more fun to use than number one on the OU ladder because I used stall the whole way, so I want to shy away from the strictly 'meta' as it were.

Thanks for reading!​

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Looking at the team, it's quite easily troubled by things like Tapu Lele. Volcanion isn't the best speed control, so I'll suggest some changes.

MAJOR CHANGES

788.png --> 395.png
Empoleon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Calm/Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Flash Cannon
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Icy Wind/Rock Slide

I dont think AV Tapu Fini is that good because it's usually a switchin to things like Greninja, which it does fine with leftovers. AV Empoleon helps against Greninja, Tapu Lele, takes a hit from Tapu Koko and other notable threats.

The last move of the set would be up to you. HP fire hits Ferrothorn, Kartana and Scizor, Icy Wind hits Zygarde and slows things down for Pinsir, Rock Slide would be for Charizard Y and opposing Pinsir (I suggest a Sassy nature if you run Rock Slide to do more damage)

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Assault Vest Empoleon: 150-178 (40.3 - 47.8%)

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 40 Def Empoleon in Psychic Terrain: 156-184 (41.9 - 49.4%)

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Assault Vest Empoleon in Electric Terrain: 266-314 (71.5 - 84.4%)

721.png --> 658.png
Greninja @ Psychium Z
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Extrasensory
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Ice Beam

As you said, Volcanion usually fails as speed control. Changing it to greninja gives you the options of spikes, to help pressure stall. Psychium Z is the best part, because it can suprise things like Toxapex and Mega Venusaur which are a little annoying to the team.

252 SpA Greninja Shattered Psyche (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 252-296 (82.8 - 97.3%)

252 SpA Greninja Shattered Psyche (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Venusaur-Mega: 306-360 (84.2 - 99.1%)

381.png lifeorb-1.png--> choicescarf-1.png
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Now that Volcanion has been removed I suggest you change Latios to choice scarf to get off faster defogs and be a better speed control.

MINOR CHANGES

248.png
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

76 speed is usually ran on Tyranitar to outspeed Mantine and Skarmory, which can be crucial against balance or stall.

645-s.png
Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Landorus usually runs 24 speed EVs, so I suggest 32 to speedcreep that and get off the HP Ice off first. A relaxed nature isn't needed because HP Ice will do a sufficent amount anyway.

I hope these suggestions help while still keeping the team fun for you :]​

Importable with changes: https://pokepast.es/67456ac36ad2d2ab

~~395.png658.png248.png645-s.png127-m.png381.png~~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)