Entei's new tricks

ITT I would like to discuss Entei's little boost to usefulness as of late.
He now has access to an attack boosting move in Howl, along with Flare Blitz and ExtremeSpeed as the most notable aditions.

I believe this opens the door for Entei to become a huge physical or mixed threat. A few sets I can see being useful:

@Life Orb
Adamant Nature (+ATT, -Sp. ATT)
4 HP, 252, ATT, 252 Speed
-Howl
-Flare Blitz
-Extremespeed
-Stone Edge

Decent Coverage, hitting Grass, Ice, Bug, Steel, Fire, and Flying for SE damage. Extremespeed is a great move for dealing with frail pokemon that outspeed you or hold a scarf trying to end your fun. After a howl it packs quite a punch.

ExtremeSpeed after one Howl:

vs. 0 HP, 0 DEF Azelf- 70-83% Easily 2HKOs and doesn't fear anything but an explosion. Even a max Sp. ATT Psychic with life orb wont OHKO Entei after SR.

VS. min DEF, Max HP Blissey- 100%

VS. Max DEF, Min HP Blissey- 47-56%

VS. 4 HP, 0 DEF Starmie- 74-88%

VS. 0 HP, 0 DEF Infernape- 77-91%

VS. 0 HP, 0 DEF Flygon- 68-80% (OHKO If flygon switches into either one of Entei's other attacks)

Just a few examples of that sets power. If you manage to get more than one howl in you could be looking at an easy late game sweep if fast ghost types like Gengar are out. Rock types wall this set fairly easily, so obviously having an appropriate counter to the likes of TTar and others would be good.

@Leftovers/Life Orb
Adamant Nature (+ATT, -Sp. ATT)
4 HP, 252 ATT, 252 Speed
-Substitute
-Howl
-Flare Blitz
-Stone Edge/Iron Head

This is is Brelooms and other grass types like Celebi and Shaymin's worst nightmare. Sub on the switch, Howl, and Blitz. Stone Edge is the preferable attack but Iron Head is there if you want to hit rock types. Life orb will boost your attacks further but with Blitz's recoil hurts his survivability.

@Choice Scarf
Mild/Rash Nature (+Sp ATT, -DEF/Sp. DEF)
172 Speed, 252 Sp. ATT, 84 ATT
-Flamethrower/Heat Wave/Fire Blast/Overheat
-Hidden Power Ground
-Shadow Ball
-Stone Edge/Iron Head

Good Mixed Scarf set. Doesn't utilize anything new, but I think it's useful enough to be mentioned either way. The given EVs allow you to outspeed Scarftran and hit it hard with HP Ground. First slot is your choice of Power vs. Acc./secondary effect.
Stone Edge is good for coverage, but again Iron head is available to hit rock types

Entei is reasonably bulky by nature with a very big base HP. This allows him to get in at least one Howl almost always when running a Howl set which I personally think carry the must destructive power. There are of course other possibilities as always.

What do you guys think? I personally am loving the first set.

Sure, now Entei's a better offensive Arcanine, but why are you talking about OU Pokemon in the UU Subforum?

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Stone Edge is really the only reason I would ever use Entei over Arcanine, as even with all that new stuff, Arcanine still has Morning Sun and Intimidate, which are just so useful.

Sure, now Entei's a better offensive Arcanine, but why are you talking about OU Pokemon in the UU Subforum?
I was simply using them as examples for his power. If he can do this to many ou pokemon he sure as hell can batter a lot in UU

Adamant Nature (+Attack, -Sp. ATT)
Just thought I'd point out that Adamant raises Attack, not Speed.

Anyways, Entei did gain two epic moves in Extremespeed and Flare Blitz, but it has a terrible typing which gets hit super effectively by three common types AND causes it to lose a quarter of its health every time it switches into Stealth Rock. tl;dr: It will still be NU--maybe low UU--this gen.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With a BST of 580, I don't think it's going to be UU, probably not OU material but is a definite UU material, things it has that arcanine doesn't are primarily a boosting move, better bulk (more specially due to arcanine having intimidate), due to howl sucking (+1, wtf), a CB set is more viable due to arcanine having so much more to do with its wider movepool.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Did we all suddenly forget that this still just makes Entei a worse Arcanine? It's got the same Attack, but it's Adamant-locked so it's still missing the ability to go Jolly and take advantage of its speed. It's bulkier, but Arcanine can either use Intimidate or Flash Fire to gain a defensive advantage over Entei, and it's got Thunder Fang to hit Water-types and Iron Head to hit Rock-types, neither of which Entei is very competent against.

Also, Arcanine gets Howl too, but it also gets Morning Sun for instant healing. Sorry Entei, you're just doomed to failure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)