Metagame Effective Creative & Underrated Sets [REPLAYS REQUIRED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just here to share a few sets I've been enjoying recently.

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant / Naughty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Thunder Wave / Hidden Power [Ground]

I've recently fell in love with Pursuit Krow thanks to its ability to check so many huge offensive threats and set up your team to be in a winning position so easily. This set almost guarantees you'll get rid of opposing Mimes, Grumpig and other frail sweepers as they'll find themselves switching out to avoid dying to a powerful Sucker Punch or Brave Bird. Also if Scarf or Specs Mime decides to lock into Psychic then Pursuit guarantees that Mime dies after rocks which is pretty huge in my book. Pursuit is also useful for picking off weakened offensive threats that don't want to take a Sucker and think they have a sure check/counter to Krow such as Stunfisk or Klang. Murkrow appreciates Thunder Wave which allows you to hit faster threats that can try to outplay Sucker Punch (such as Encore Kadabra) or that are out of KO range but you really need to cripple (like a boosted Fraxure). On the other hand HP Ground is an option to do appreciable damage to Fisk or Probo if you feel your team needs it.

I'm a pretty avid user of more offensive minded teams so I enjoy pairing Murkrow with Monferno or Regice which both benefit from the removal of either Grumpig, Mime or other fast frail threats.

upload_2015-10-30_2-11-25.png

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Substitute
- Roost

This is a fun set I've been messing around with lately that features Substitute over the usual Defog. I'm not a huge advocate of hazard control in PU since most of my teams are offensive anyways so I never actually end up clicking Defog on Swanna unless I'm in a truly dire situation and I've allowed too many hazards on my side somehow. With that being said, I figured Substitute would make for a suitable replacement given Swanna's decent speed tier, great coverage and exceptional power. Most teams don't have reliable answers to Swanna so the opponent will attempt to play around it and pivot until they're in a favorable position, or they'll just sac something and then go to their Zeb or whatever can revenge it. Well Substitute eliminates a lot of those mind-games and can put you in a very favorable position as they struggle to find something that can beat the combo of Hurricane and Scald. What's nice about this is that it sets up on common cores such as Sol+Rose and you can often net a KO or 2 without losing your Swanna.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't play PU much (although I want to get into it more due to the based lord Stunfisk being a top-tier 'mon), but I've played a little on the (kinda shitty) ladder, experimenting with non-dex sets, and I've had reasonable success with this:

ChestoRest Stunfisk

Stunfisk @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 48 Def / 252 SpA / 204 SpD/ 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Rest
- Stealth Rock

Stunfisk is a good stop to VoltTurn, but its key issue arises from its lack of reliable recovery. Therefore, I opted for a variant which can heal up once in the match, allowing it to counter it throughout the match. With the given EVs, Stunfisk is able to avoid a 3HKO from unboosted Raichu's Hidden Power Ice 100% of the time, which means that it can take it on if it needs to get off an emergency rest post-chesto. I did calculations with two spreads to calculate which gave the best overall bulk, and I determined that running this spread as opposed to a HP-invested spread gives Stunfisk better overall bulk at the cost of a whole 9 points in its SpA (yeah... it won't miss that at all). The 4 speed EVs is just to creep Hippo and opposing Stunfisk, and more can be put in if you want to creep those which already creep XD. I've taken a lot of Stunfisk's utility and translated it over to this set, giving it Discharge for paralysis and Stealth Rock to help support the team.

Also, as my team lacked any answer to Stunfisk other than... well, Stunfisk (which isn't really an answer for obvious reasons), and I didn't want to switch out any of my teammates, I opted to lure it with this bad-boy:

Surf Raichu

Raichu @ Life Orb
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast

Normally, Raichu is completely walled by Stunfisk coutesy of the latter's typing and it taking a crispy 40 BP hit from Grass Knot, making it do less than the already pathetic HP Ice. Therefore, I decided that, due to my team's design struggling with the flatfish, it was worth sacrificing Lightning Rod for Surf. Trust me, I'd never sacrifice Lightning Rod otherwise; however, the ability to lure and 2HKO physdef variants most of the time after rocks was too much for me to pass up. While stacking a weakness with Stunfisk wasn't ideal, I didn't mind as it isn't a team which is meant to have god-like defensive synergy anyway.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
186.gif

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 SpA
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Hydro Pump
I didn't realize that nobody uses this for the most part until recently. I'll start off by saying that this fulfills an entirely different niche than scarf floatzel/simipour. Those are legitimate revenge killers. This doesn't beat most boosting sweepers aside from Fraxure. The whole point is, waters are really threatening but Politoed is automatically a slow Pokemon that can give ground to potentially more threatening Pokemon like Stoutland/Dodrio/Ursaring or insert other wallbreaker here. This lets you check waters while not being slow and worthless. Think scarf aurorus, the weather check and normal resist that patched up its speed to not be totally useless. This is really solid and can hit decently hard to clean unboosted teams while still living random hits like modest chatot's boomburst. I definitely recommend that you give it a whirl.
i'll show myself out now

Raichu @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Magnet Rise

Iirc Crimzig or Optical Reel told me about this set and it is quite enjoyable.

Magnet Rise is very fun allowing you to avoid all ground type moves for 3 turns allowing set-up on notable ground types(fisk, brava) and allows raichu to be a decent overall check to ground type pokemon and probopass.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
hey there, posting a set I used in my seasonal game

Armaldo @ Life Orb / Passho Berry
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

This may look like a worse Relicanth, but trust me it isn't. But it has one thing in common, they both are able to wreak havoc into the opposing team. But why would you use Armaldo over Relicanth?? I want to specify that I'm not saying Armaldo is better than Relicanth, but that there are situation where one fits better than another. Ok, so, in my opinion, Armaldo fares a better typing than Relicanth, which allows it to set up on more Pokemon, as Relicanth has glaring weaknesses to Electric, Grass, and Ground-types, which are all very common atm, also a Fighting-type one which can be painful. In exchange, Armaldo gets a weakness to Rock-types, which is meh mostly because Stealth Rocks, Water-types, but Water-types give trouble to Relicanth anyway and Passho Berry can solve that in part, Steel-types, who are really rare, also most of them get wrecked by Earthquake if weakened. Not being able to resist Flying-type moves can be annoying, but you can set up on Dodrio locked in a Normal-type move anyway and Chatot will just spam Boomburst most of the time. Armaldo has a way better attack stat, Head Smash from Relicanth hits harder than Stone Edge, but Armaldo is able to deal more damage using coverage moves such as Earthquake and his other STAB X-Scissor, which can be fundamental in a cleaning situation. X-Scissor is also better as a secondary STAB than Waterfall, as it hits more targets and less people expect it. Talking about expecting things, another factor you can count in when rating this set is that people will almost never expect this, as Relicanth and other Pokemon are usually used as Rock Polish sweepers, and this allows me to pull off a sweep even when in unfavourable situations.

Pawniard @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch / Low Kick / Psycho Cut
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

So let's kick off the new meta with something fun. I've enjoyed CB Pawniard quite alot in the days since the recent shift, and while Eviolite SD is of course the more reliable set, this little monster is quite threatening when played well.

Typically, Pawniard runs a Swords Dance set with an Eviolite. With its usable bulk when holding said Eviolite, it finds itself many set up oppurtunites in the meta game, considering its numerous resistance's due to its unique typing of Steel/Dark. This set forgoes Eviolite and SD entirely for much more immediate power and a coverage slot, at the cost of bulk.

With good doubles and proper 50/50 reads, this set is a game changer in many situations. Most of the faster offensive meta is OHKO'd after Stealth Rocks by either Sucker Punch or Pursuit (both being the same power on the switch) and provides a player, using this set, means of dictating what the opponent gets to keep and save, when played correctly.

The slot that SD is usually filled by also gives you some wiggle room to suit your team's needs. If the team struggles with Monferno or Machoke, for example, Psycho Cut can be run to catch these threats on the switch, while Low Kick can be used to lure in Probopass and revenge kill a Bouffalant who has used Substitue and had its Sub broken by a team mate.

While the bulk you lose is substantial when running CB, Pawniards typing still provides it with atleast some defensive capacities. For example, Eviolite Pawniard can take any one hit from standard +6 Linoone, this set cannot. But even if CB, Pawniard can switch into the most notable of Memento users, Jumpluff, quite reliably and punish said Memento with its ability Defiant.

Speaking of Defiant, CB Pawniard actualy has its ways around some of the defensive defoggers (Vullaby, Pelipper) in the tier when given the +2 boost, which Eviolite sets have an easier time switching into, but a harder time dealing with. After Stealth Rocks, defensive Pelipper is OHKO'd by +2 CB Knock Off and Vullaby is 2HKO'd by +2 CB Iron Head. Pelipper never has a chance to attack you and Vullaby fails to kill with a +2 Foul Play. This is something I really liked about this set.

Luring is a big part of this set, as most threats would prefer to take the damage that Pawniard dishes out and eliminate it when a reliable switch-in isn't available. If they are running calcs against standard Eviolite Pawniard and determine they live a sucker, for example, they are likely to stay in rather than sack another mon. Pursuit is also notable here, as an opposing check/counter being healthy and ready to switch in to Pawn might incentivize your opponent to save the mon they are in with. A nice example is early game Roselia in on Pawniard and a Stunfisk lying in wait on your opp's team. Mindset is as follows: "Stunfisk can switch in, I don't have Stealth Rocks up, I want Stealth Rocks up". Preying on the fact that entry hazards are crucial in this game that we play, Pursuit can punish this line of thought.

I think this set is a very nice tool for the more skilled player that would rather end games quickly with calculated plays then wait to create a set up opportunity for Pawniard, or until one presents itself. Notable Calcs Below.

252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 235-277 (80.7 - 95.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Floatzel: 259-306 (83.2 - 98.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Stoutland: 177-208 (56.9 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band burned Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 151-178 (46.6 - 54.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 280-331 (86.6 - 102.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 186-220 (54.2 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Monferno: 212-250 (78.8 - 92.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Psycho Cut vs. 144 HP / 28 Def Eviolite Machoke: 162-192 (48 - 56.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pawniard: 70-83 (30.3 - 35.9%) -- 40.3% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 282-332 (66.5 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Vigoroth: 157-186 (43.1 - 51%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 16 HP / 4 Def Colbur Berry Exeggutor: 222-262 (66.2 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 80 Def Eviolite Roselia: 174-205 (57.2 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu: 261-307 (100 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gorebyss: 187-222 (74.5 - 88.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Bouffalant: 226-266 (62.6 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Colbur Berry Grumpig: 229-270 (71.3 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Also, here's a replay of my good friend,
HJAD, and I showing how a good double+CB Pursuit can give you the leading edge in a match.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-289615299

Hope y'all enjoy this set :]

Last edited:
Gourgeist-Super @ Yache Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Sneak

That's right, yache berry gourgeist. The ultimate lure to floatzel / regice / anything that you want to get damage off on.

252 SpA Choice Specs Floatzel Ice Beam vs. 200 HP / 56 SpD Yache Berry Gourgeist-Super: 130-154 (36 - 42.6%)
252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Ice Beam vs. 200 HP / 56 SpD Yache Berry Gourgeist-Super: 125-147 (34.6 - 40.7%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Regice Ice Beam vs. 200 HP / 56 SpD Yache Berry Gourgeist-Super: 237-280 (65.6 - 77.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Gourgeist-Super Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regice: 150-178 (49.8 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Gourgeist-Super Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regice: 60-72 (19.9 - 23.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Gourgeist-Super Seed Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Floatzel: 384-452 (123.4 - 145.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Gourgeist-Super Seed Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Simipour: 350-414 (119.8 - 141.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Not only that, but sneak + seed bomb is awesome stabs and an offesive gourgeist is extremely underrated. Not to mention it catches things off guard.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pu-288330085 as shown against tone :)

Not much else to say, it's a really good underrated set :)

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Momentum Hypno

Hypno @ Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Baton Pass
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Seismic Toss

This is a kind of neat alternative to Specially Defensive Grumpig. Neither SpD Grumpig or Hypno are all too effective in the current meta because of Knock off spam and all, but it can still serve as a nice check to Eggy and Gorebyss while also maintaining momentum. The slow Baton Pass is all what this set is about. It works in the same way as Slow BP Musharna in NU- switch into a special attack, and then baton pass out to a revenge killer.

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Momentum Hypno

Hypno @ Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
Careful Nature
- Baton Pass
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Seismic Toss

This is a kind of neat alternative to Specially Defensive Grumpig. Neither SpD Grumpig or Hypno are all too effective in the current meta because of Knock off spam and all, but it can still serve as a nice check to Eggy and Gorebyss while also maintaining momentum. The slow Baton Pass is all what this set is about. It works in the same way as Slow BP Musharna in NU- switch into a special attack, and then baton pass out to a revenge killer.
If it's meant for slow Baton Pass, why does it have Speed EVs? I'd suggest putting them in Defense or something since the Speed is probably not that important to Hypno and it may benefit without it.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
If it's meant for slow Baton Pass, why does it have Speed EVs? I'd suggest putting them in Defense or something since the Speed is probably not that important to Hypno and it may benefit without it.
It was to outspeed and Taunt Roselia, but I guess getting a slow Baton Pass on Rose is even better, true.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I have a few new sets for everyone. Some are just underrated and have been innovated earlier, but were simply forgotten as the meta changed; so, I'm bringing those back. Others are innovations I came up with recently that are very surprising and can be effective when used correctly. I'll post these in order from most useful / viable and end with some heat sets for fun.

Stunfisk @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Rest

I came up with this in Skype, but mfw it was sniped by gamerboy before I had a chance to post lol. The EV spread I'm providing is more standard, however. This Stunfisk is using max Defense with enough Speed to creep Hippopotas by 1 point. This basically gives Stunfisk the recovery it needs to reliably set SR throughout a match, while staying alive to combat Pokemon like Ninjask, Zebstrika, and Dodrio. It's using Chesto over Lum so that your berry isn't accidentally eaten up by something like burn or confusion. Confirming that this is a great set.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 16 HP / 20 Def / 232 SpA / 20 SpD / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain / Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Spikes / Sleep Powder

I believe Kushalos posted this in one of his sample teams first, but it's making a comeback given Pawniard has returned and HP Fighting is a viable option yet again. 220 Spe Roselia hits 220 Speed total (with the Speed drop from HP Fighting IVs factored in), which creeps Adamant 252 Spe Pawniard by 1 point. If you predict a Knock Off, you can simply use HP Fighting. If you predict Sucker Punch, Sleep Powder is there as a secondary option on teams that are using Defog support (Powder Roselia without Spikes isn't horrible). For reference, 232+ Sludge Bomb outspeeds and OHKOes 72 HP Exeggutor, and HP Fighting obviously OHKOes Pawniard:

232+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Exeggutor: 378-446 (108.3 - 127.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
232+ SpA Roselia Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 320-380 (138.5 - 164.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ninetales @ Passho Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Will-O-Wisp / Hypnosis
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball

Status NP Ninetales is incredibly fun to use. I used this set against dodmen in PU seasonals and it performed as advertised. Passho Berry and a status in tandem allow you to set up Nasty Plot reliably, while WoW or Hypnosis can incapacitate standard Ninetales switch-ins. For example, Grumpig's longevity is hampered by WoW, Rapidash is put to sleep by Hypnosis, etc. Using Ninetales' decent special bulk, you can survive a Specs Hydro Pump from Floatzel via Passho Berry:

252 SpA Choice Specs Floatzel Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Passho Berry Ninetales: 202-238 (70.3 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Passho Berry Ninetales: 192-227 (66.8 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature / Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Zen Headbutt / Pin Missile / Drain Punch / Toxic
- Wood Hammer
- Spikes

This set is an old favorite of mine - it switches into Roselia for free, given it doesn't take anything from Roselia's Sludge Bomb due to Bulletproof's effects. You Taunt Roselia out of setting Spikes, hit it for decent damage with Zen Headbutt on its weaker Defense stat, or set your own Spikes as it switches out.

Now that Exeggutor dropped, Pin Missile is an option to exploit its x4 weakness to Bug. 3 Hits with SR factored OHKOes Exeggutor, as the calc below shows. Drain Punch is for Pawniard and Probopass, and hits them really hard.

And finally, Taunt + Toxic gives Quilladin more generalized utility against walls, outside of Oblivious Lickilicky / Magic Guard Clefairy. Running Jolly lets you land a Toxic on Vigoroth before it Substitutes or Taunts you (on sets creeping Pawniard's Speed tier), while Adamant can be beneficial for scoring the OHKO or 2HKOes on certain Pokemon:

252+ Atk Quilladin Pin Missile (3 hits) vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Exeggutor: 300-360 (85.9 - 103.1%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Quilladin Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 80 Def Eviolite Roselia: 146-174 (48.1 - 57.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Quilladin Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 228-272 (98.7 - 117.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Quilladin Drain Punch vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 188-224 (61.8 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Flychu (Raichu) @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Air Balloon gives Raichu unexpected utility by letting it switch into threats that would normally OHKO or severely weaken it via Ground coverage. It lets it power up on defensive threats such as Probopass, Vibrava, Stunfisk, or simply get a hit off as they switch out.

Raichu @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Knock Off
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

AoA Raichu is a small variation on standard Raichu, with Knock Off over Nasty Plot. Using Knock Off allows it to hit its standard switch-ins like SpDef Clefairy, standard Roselia, and Grumpig, and then weaken them severely by removing their Eviolites for Raichu's teammates (Clefairy / Roselia) or using up Grumpig's Colbur Berry. A Grumpig without Colbur can be beaten by Pawniard or Pursuit Metang, while Roselia or Clefairy are now at risk to be OHKOed or 2HKOed by hits they normally survive, like LO Simipour's Ice Beam in Roselia's case.

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 64 SpA / 96 SpD / 100 Spe
Calm Nature
- Signal Beam
- Thunder Wave / Calm Mind
- Psychic

100 Spe with a Calm Nature lets Grumpig hit 220 Speed total, while 64 SpA lets Grumpig OHKO Pawniard before Rocks with Hidden Power Fighting, and Exeggutor with Signal Beam after SR damage. Its HP is maximized, and then the rest is dumped into its Special Defense. You give up on beating Metang with Shadow Ball when using this set in order to hit Exeggutor harder before it gets a chance to hit you with its Specs Leaf Storm, which does around ~71-84% to this Grumpig. The last slot is optional, and either lets you CM + 3 Attacks, or T-Wave + 3 Attacks; both are nice options in this meta. HP Fighting Grumpig is much more consistent than Focus Blast's low accuracy, and can more reliably lure Dark types for partners that appreciate Pokemon like Pawniard and Mightyena gone.

64 SpA Grumpig Signal Beam vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Exeggutor: 304-360 (87.1 - 103.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
64 SpA Grumpig Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 232-276 (100.4 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 220 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Bonemerang
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Specially defensive Marowak plays a lot like utility Golem, except that it has better attacking presence with Thick Club and doesn't have a x4 weakness to Grass like Golem does. On the downside however, it doesn't provide your team useful resistances to Flying and Normal, so there are obvious pros and cons to its usage.

36 Atk lets it OHKO uninvested Golem via Bonemerang, 4 Speed EVs creep uninvested base 45s while avoiding the Knock Off from Machoke / Armaldo, while the rest of its EVs are invested in HP and Special Defense.

Specially defensive Marowak takes surprisingly little from LO Raichu and LO Zebstrika:

252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Hidden Power Ice / Grass vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Marowak: 107-127 (33.1 - 39.3%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Marowak: 114-135 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Marowak: 226-268 (69.9 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

36 Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Golem: 304-360 (100.9 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mr. Mime @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Copycat
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Copycat copies the last move used in the battle (regardless of whether it was yours or your opponent's), so if used at the right time, Mr. Mime can find some unexpected utility. I've copied Sticky Web, Rapid Spin, Spikes, my own Volt Switch on VoltTurn teams, an Arbok's Sucker Punch which let Mr. Mime beat it, and even a Chatot's Boomburst on the turn that I forced it out via Soundproof. This is honestly just for fun though, but I've provided some replays so that you know I'm not full of it lol.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-288497390 - copies my Chatot's U-Turn / Arbok's Sucker Punch
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-288401330 - copies Leavanny's Sticky Web / Torkoal's Rapid Spin

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psych Up
- Whirlwind
- Psychic
- Signal Beam

This set is hilarious - come in on something like a Duosion, Grumpig, Clefairy or even Gothitelle, Psych Up and copy its boosts because you're faster, then Whirlwind them out on the next turn while tanking whatever hit because hopefully you've copied an Acid Armor or a couple of Calm Minds.

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage

This Fraxure set sacrifices coverage on Fairy-Types to lure and KO Golem and Probopass at the same time (because Mold Breaker goes through Sturdy). This is especially cool right now as Golem leads are really common. It also functions adequately as a sweeper despite the lack of Fairy Coverage because of how good the dragon typing is in this tier.

EDIT: Also, Dundies, how come you didn't add SubPetaya Drifblim to the offensive sets archive?

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage

This Fraxure set sacrifices coverage on Fairy-Types to lure and KO Golem and Probopass at the same time (because Mold Breaker goes through Sturdy). This is especially cool right now as Golem leads are really common. It also functions adequately as a sweeper despite the lack of Fairy Coverage because of how good the dragon typing is in this tier.

EDIT: Also, Dundies, how come you didn't add SubPetaya Drifblim to the offensive sets archive?
Added. Must've missed it before.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave
- Hex

I've been using this set for a while and despite being called annoying by both Dundies and Teddeh, this set has put in a lot of work for me. While Misdreavus is mostly run either defensive or Nasty Plot, this set takes on the role of a fast status spreader with the combination of Will-o-Wisp to cripple physical attackers and Thunder Wave to slow down Floatzel and Rapidash for its teammates. Backed with STAB Hex whose power doubles when an opponent is statused still does a good amount of damage even when uninvested.

Replays of it in action: vs Dundies: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-289851959

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave
- Hex

I've been using this set for a while and despite being called annoying by both Dundies and Teddeh, this set has put in a lot of work for me. While Misdreavus is mostly run either defensive or Nasty Plot, this set takes on the role of a fast status spreader with the combination of Will-o-Wisp to cripple physical attackers and Thunder Wave to slow down Floatzel and Rapidash for its teammates. Backed with STAB Hex whose power doubles when an opponent is statused still does a good amount of damage even when uninvested.

Replays of it in action: vs Dundies: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-289851959
Hey, TONE114 - Thunder Wave Misdreavus was already created by Galbia in the previous thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-will-be-deleted.3522046/page-10#post-6276114

He also has Hex listed as an option, but altogether it's still a nice post that I think people have forgotten about.

Exeggutor @ Kee Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb / Wood Hammer
- Zen Headbutt
- Natural Gift

First off, Physical Exeggutor is a pretty underrated especially with the fact it has nice coverage options in Low Kick and the many possibilities of Natural Gift also it sports good Stabs in Seed Bomb/Wood Hammer and Zen Headbutt. Although Exeggutor is usually best off being Special it's Physical capabilities are still good and even better in certain situations.

Harvest+Natural Gift is a neat combination especially with certain berries here are some neat options:

Sitrus Berry-Psychic-Type (80 BP)
Salac Berry=Fighting-Type (80 BP)
Occa Berry=Fire-Type (80 BP)
Lum Berry=Flying-Type (80 BP)
Liechi Berry=Grass-Type (100 BP)

These are berry types i have used so far and each have been quite fun and unexpectedly helpful throwing my opponent off however the set i posted here is the most reliable one i have been using and that's with the Kee Berry which turns into a 100 BP Fairy-Type move.

+2 252 Atk Kee Berry Exeggutor Natural Gift (100 BP Fairy) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Eviolite Vullaby: 294-348 (85.7 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

+2 252 Atk Kee Berry Exeggutor Natural Gift (100 BP Fairy) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Zweilous: 628-740 (180.4 - 212.6%)

+2 252 Atk Kee Berry Exeggutor Natural Gift (100 BP Fairy) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 157-185 (67.9 - 80%)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-292394267 <-- The berries effect being clutch
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-292369421 <-- Crippling a Vullaby on the 2nd Turn

The Evs are simple:
252 Attack for maximum power
220+ Speed out-speeds Pawniard and anything speed creeping it
36 Defense allows you to live a Sucker Punch from max after sr from Pawniard

Substitute/Low Kick/Synthesis/Sleep Powder are all usable options in there own right and can fit on the set depending on the berry you are using to build around.

Hope you guys enjoy the set :)

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
626.gif

What's a Stoutland (Bouffalant) @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Happiness: 0
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Head Charge
- Stone Edge / Pursuit / Megahorn

CB Bouffalant over CB Stoutland

slower, no scrappy

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Bouffalant Head Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock: 138-162 (40.1 - 47%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Bouffalant Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock: 306-362 (88.9 - 105.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Bouffalant Head Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 199-235 (58 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Bouffalant Head Charge vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Avalugg: 201-237 (51.1 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Bouffalant Head Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Machoke: 307-363 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

rofl

Plus you can bluff sap sipper n shit while not actually having it. But bouff is cool for smashing traditional stout checks while not failing to hit anything that stout can other than defensive misdreavus (barely misses the 2hko from stone edge w/sr) and not putting as much pressure on gourgeist to recover. Meanwhile the main things you lose to speed wise are stout, eggy and pawn. This definitely isn't on the level of sub SD or AV, but I've heard people call it downright unviable and it certainly isn't.

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Knock Off / Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis / Sleep Powder / Stun Spore

So, I've been using this alot lately in combination with defensive Stunfisk, and I have to say that the core and this Tangela set are pretty effective in the current meta.

The issue that many have had with SpD Tangela in the past is its inabilty to counter Stoutland, but after looking further into an optimized spread, I've found that keeping a Bold nature while investing fully in SpD still allows you to switch into Stoutland well enough without Stealth Rocks up.

252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 248 HP / 8+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 132-156 (39.6 - 46.8%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

With the given spread, this Tangela is actually one of the tier's best answers to ANY Floatzel set, regardless of how its offensive options are oriented (Physical VS Special etc).
252 SpA Choice Specs Floatzel Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 194-230 (58.2 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 8+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 114-136 (34.2 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

It also lures other special Waters using Ice Beam as their coverage to take on Tangela. Gorebyss, for example, can effectively force out defensive Tangela with a potential Ice Beam and use Shell Smash as the opponent switches into an appropriate check. Instead of having to sack Tangela to ensure that Gorebyss doesn't boost freely, this set has nothing to fear and can just stay in.

252+ SpA Life Orb Gorebyss Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 226-268 (67.8 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

This Tangela also takes on Zebstrika (when packing Synthesis) and other various special attackers prevalent in the current meta. Even Specs Exeggutor fails to OHKO this Tangela, while Tangela can revenge an Eggy with some previous damage.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 207-244 (62.1 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Tangela Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Exeggutor: 184-218 (55.5 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Overheat vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 234-278 (70.2 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mr. Mime Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 109-129 (32.7 - 38.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Kadabra Signal Beam vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 136-162 (40.8 - 48.6%) -- 71.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 187-221 (56.1 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 4 SpA Huntail Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 216-256 (64.8 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 234-276 (70.2 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Grumpig Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 111-132 (33.3 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

This set is just a nice mixed defensive pivot that lures common threats in the meta that normally have easy ways around the more traditional defensive set while not sacrificing its defensive prowess and ability to counter (DOG).

Hope y'all enjoy using this set :]

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This thread needs revival

Dusknoir @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure / Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Pain Split / Pursuit / etc
I have been using this set lately and have found it much more useful than the standard CB/Spell Tag, as w/ cb you have many issues locking yourself into a move as most teams will have a ghost/ground immunity, and spell i find to be too weak. Sucker Punch is also a really nice surprise, as not only is it stronger than STAB Shadow Sneak, but it also hits Normal-types like dodrio and stoutland. Most people think that LO isn't that good as it makes it harder for you to check vigoroth (if not running pain split/willo) and it weakens dusknoir's nice natural bulk, but i have found the power + stronger priority to be worth it. Replay:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-293706851
I don't have any others but i remember having one vs shuckledeath a long time ago where Sucker Punch was crucial in letting me KO his dodrio

Dodrio @ Salac Berry / Liechi Berry
Ability: Early Bird
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Natural Gift

This set is fairly straight forward for a lure. When one of it's counters such as Probopass, Bastiodon or Pawniard switch in use Natural Gift to OHKO offensive variants and cripple defensive ones. Liechi can also be used for Pokemon such as Golem if they pose more of a threat to your team. On the off chance that berries activate due to low health, +1 Attack from the Liechi Berry allows it to hit as hard as the Choice Band variant while the +1 Speed allows it to outspeed the rest of the tier. Adamant is preferred over Jolly to make up for the drop in attack from not having an item.

252+ Atk Salac Berry Dodrio Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 312-368 (102.6 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Salac Berry Dodrio Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Bastiodon: 272-320 (84.2 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Salac Berry Dodrio Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 380-448 (164.5 - 193.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Liechi Berry Dodrio Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Golem: 340-400 (112.9 - 132.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Dodrio @ Salac Berry / Liechi Berry
Ability: Early Bird
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Natural Gift

This set is fairly straight forward for a lure. When one of it's counters such as Probopass, Bastiodon or Pawniard switch in use Natural Gift to OHKO offensive variants and cripple defensive ones. Liechi can also be used for Pokemon such as Golem if they pose more of a threat to your team. On the off chance that berries activate due to low health, +1 Attack from the Liechi Berry allows it to hit as hard as the Choice Band variant while the +1 Speed allows it to outspeed the rest of the tier. Adamant is preferred over Jolly to make up for the drop in attack from not having an item.
Change to Jolly, put Quick Attack > Return, and remove Bastiodon mention, and I'll add.

there's nothing wrong with return tbh, knock off should be removed if anything
Also this is on the analysis so it shouldn't get added anyway
And can't you make the edits and add lol
oh yeah lol i dont think im gonna add anyways bc youre right its already somewhat standard

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
So lately I've been seeing a lot of defensive teams in the meta, such as CSI Miami's nearly unbeatable full stall. This is probably because Audino gives a lot of leverage to the teammates despite all the wallbreakers in the meta. In any case, here is below one of the best wallbreakers in the tier. With great mixed offenses and Growth, it can steamroll through special walls and the physical walls who cushion them, such as Avalugg and Gourgeist-Super. Obviously this falls flat vs offense, but that's not the point of the set.

Camerupt @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Growth
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Growth gives a boost to both Camerupt's offenses, and the rest of the slots are devoted to maximizing your coverage. Hasty Nature allows it to hit 196 speed, outspeeding most Politoed.

Here are some calcs to show it's power:
252 Atk Life Orb Camerupt Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Grumpig: 253-298 (69.5 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Camerupt Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Grumpig: 376-445 (103.2 - 122.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Camerupt Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Audino: 300-355 (73.1 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Camerupt Earthquake vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Politoed: 337-398 (90.8 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+1 0 SpA Life Orb Camerupt Hidden Power Electric vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pelipper: 468-551 (144.8 - 170.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 4 SpA Life Orb Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 230-270 (67 - 78.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Camerupt Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Relicanth: 322-382 (79.7 - 94.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 4 SpA Life Orb Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 304-359 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Leafeon @ Leftovers/random resist berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Baton Pass
- Synthesis
- Leaf Blade

Drifblim @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 20 SpD / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp/Destiny Bond

A really cool strategy that I was inspired with by TTFTW's Curse Baton Pass Musharna to Unburden Sceptile in NU. Basically Leafeon accumulates a bunch of Curses- which it can do easily thanks to its bulk, and then passes it off to Drifblim, activating White Herb and letting it sweep through weakened teams. Drifblim can easily come in safely because the curses make Leafeon really slow, allowing it to slowpass to Drifblim. I would have some great replays of this but... :/

Last edited by a moderator:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
I have some more sets for everyone. Some have already been innovated and simply forgotten about, while others are innovations I recently came up with.

The first is specially defensive Quilladin:

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature

- Wood Hammer / Seed Bomb
- Synthesis
- Taunt
- Spikes

I believe Raiza originally innovated specially defensive Quilladin during PUPL 6 months ago, so credit. I'm bringing this back though and think it has a lot of good utility in this current meta for stacking Spikes against teams designed to use an Electric immunity in order to stop common Volt Switchers. To elaborate, Quilladin can Synthesis on a predicted Overheat from Zebstrika, eventually forcing Zebstrika out due to SpA drops. LO recoil and Spikes damage will weaken Zebstrika severely and put it in range of being KO'd by your team's priority users. Quilladin also beats Stunfisk by Taunting it out of Stealth Rock and the various status moves it gets (i.e. T-wave / Toxic / Yawn), while eating up hits from Sludge Bomb / Discharge / Earth Power / Hidden Power Bug (only takes 20% max from HP Bug) with ease. Weakening Stunfisk and Zebstrika like this can open up the way for offensive Waters and your own Electrics, namely Pokemon like Floatzel and Raichu.

Roar can be used, but I added Taunt to this set with some Speed in order to Taunt Vullaby (arguably PU's most relevant defogger at the moment) out of using Defog in order to keep Quilladin's Spikes up.

Uninvested Wood Hammer OHKOes pertinent targets such as Floatzel and Simipour, but you can still use Seed Bomb if you want to avoid recoil.

0 Atk Quilladin Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Floatzel: 338-398 (108.6 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Quilladin Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Simipour: 306-362 (105.1 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The next set I have is Tank Roar Golem:

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Blast

I lost to majestic user Dundies because he spammed Vigoroth at me during a practice match (rip). After I brooded for a while and came back, I innovated this to beat Sub variants of Vigoroth via Roar. Tank Golem can be ran faster or slower (outspeeding Vullaby is recommended, and can outspeed Pelipper with a little more investment), but the idea is the same no matter the spread you run: you're essentially using Roar on targets such as Vigoroth who have already powered up with Bulk Up or other things that Golem simply walls, like physical Drifblim behind a Substitute. Roaring on these targets will normally hit Golem's switch-in instead, meaning you can rack up free Stealth Rock damage fairly easily (and other hazards, if applicable).

Next is something I play with occasionally as I'm using Sticky Web / some form of speed control:

Chatot @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Encore
- Heat Wave

Silk Scarf is a very effective bluff for Specs / Scarf sets, and works by letting you click Boomburst with impunity. Thinking you're locked, your opponent will often switch in a Normal stop to Chatot's Boomburst like Probopass, which lets you either Encore Probopass into SR to prevent a Volt Switch, or to attack with HP Fighting to weaken Probopass for other Pokemon that may appreciate its absence (Drifblim / Dodrio perhaps) without needing to predict. Silk Scarf makes Boomburst significantly stronger, and Encore has extra utility in locking in slower, bulkier Pokemon like Vigoroth or SubSD Bouffalant into setup as you 2HKO with Boomburst.

Like last time I posted, I've got new Stunfisk set(s) again:

Stunfisk @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Stunfisk is one of the best SR users in the tier at the moment, but using it also invites in Exeggutor to wreak havoc and forces you into 50/50s where you have to predict perfectly in order to avoid being hit by its Psychic or Grass STAB. To avoid such a scenario altogether, I created Modest LO HP Bug Stunfisk. 144 SpA + LO + a Modest Nature let you OHKO 72 HP Exeggutor as it comes in without any prior damage, which is absolutely huge in letting Stunfisk stay alive and set up SR. This set also consistently breaks Bouffalant's Substitutes, unlike uninvested Stunfisk.

144+ SpA Life Orb Stunfisk Hidden Power Bug vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Exeggutor: 354-416 (101.4 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
144+ SpA Life Orb Stunfisk Earth Power vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Bouffalant: 142-169 (37.9 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (breaks the sub)

I used HP Bug over Sludge Wave here to preserve as much bulk as possible - basically, the more SpA you need to invest given Sludge Wave does less damage than HP Bug to Eggy, the more bulk you lose, so HP Bug with LO lets you maintain some of the bulk Stunfisk needs to beat threats like Dodrio. 8 Spe EVs are optional, but I use them for beating other Stunfisk and outspeeding uninvested Hippopotas. More Speed can be ran for Camerupt, but that would be taken out of your Defense and would therefore not be optimal.

2xTheStunfisk:

Stunfisk @ Custap Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Endure
- Discharge
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Endure Custap is an interesting set that I built a few months ago but never shared; I was looking for a more reliable means of setting up SR in situations where Stunfisk has already taken prior damage, and is in danger of not being able to set up SR. You basically Endure when your Stunfisk is about to be taken out, and set SR or attack with STAB on the following turn with priority.

Endure has a second use here: spamming it will give you yet another opportunity for paralysis via Static, making it pretty annoying for physical attackers to try and kill without being paralyzed.

Like Custap and Chesto, Stunfisk can run other berries to great effect. For example, running a Passho Berry is a great way to lure and KO offensive Waters like Floatzel or Simipour, so there is more innovation to do here most likely.

Next is a set that Audino can't use:

Lickilicky @ Chople Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
Careful Nature
- Counter
- Wish
- Protect
- Body Slam

I came up with this in Skype as mostly a joke when I was mad at No Guard Machoke, but it works pretty well tbh. This is another reason to use Lickilicky over Audino - its access to Counter. Basically, with a Chople Berry, Own Tempo, and Counter, No Guard Machoke is lured, doesn't get the confusion on Lickilicky due to Own Tempo, and takes around 80% from Counter.

You can run less HP in order to make Counter a OHKO, but if Lickilicky is outspeeding Machoke on the following turn and can finish Machoke off with Body Slam, then there's no need to make that investment. 8 Spe outspeeds 44 Spe Machoke by +1, which is perfect. If you wanted to outspeed 60 Spe Machoke, you would run 24 Spe on Lickilicky.

0 Atk Lickilicky Body Slam vs. 160 HP / 16 Def Eviolite Machoke: 70-84 (20.5 - 24.6%) -- guaranteed 5HKO (60 Spe Machoke)
0 Atk Lickilicky Body Slam vs. 160 HP / 24 Def Eviolite Machoke: 69-82 (20.2 - 24%) -- guaranteed 5HKO (44 Spe Machoke)

These calcs shows that Body Slam finishes off a Machoke that's been hit by Counter most of the time (guaranteed if SR is down / has taken a small amount of prior damage).

This last set is something I submitted for Next Best Thing and have been using more lately:

Zebstrika @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod / Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Overheat

This set is pretty simple, but effective. You're basically using Zebstrika's superior Speed stat here to spread Toxic around. Most of the time, your opponent will switch in something to counter Zebstrika, such as specially defensive Golem, Grumpig, or Stunfisk (for example). By using Toxic on the switch, and then using Substitute on the following turn, you put these defensive answers to Zebstrika at risk of being KO'd by Toxic damage if they don't switch out.

Substitute also has the benefit of beating Pokemon dependent on Sucker Punch to beat Zebstrika. This includes, but is not limited to Pokemon like Murkrow, Mightyena, Pawniard, etc. Pawniard is the most relevant of these, and is handedly beaten by a combination of Substitute + Overheat if Zebstrika is at or above 26% HP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)