Media DRAGON BALL SUPER

Gonna revive this thread to talk about the most recent movie and the big event from the most recent manga chapter.
Hopefully this doesn't post on accident lol:facepalm:

Caution: text walls

I thought the movie was pretty good overall. I'm past the point of caring about powerscaling and the such, so any of that stuff doesn't matter to me anymore. I'll just separate this into sections.

Animation: it took a while to get used to, but it's pretty good, if there was any CGI like the previous movies it wasn't as noticeable to me. I prefer the animation from Belly, but it doesn't look bad in my opinion.

Pacing: like Belly it's kinda, I don't want to say bad, but it goes from being kind of slow to basically non stop fighting till the end of the movie. I would have liked a few more character moments, but I understand that this is Dragon Ball.

Plot: Its the Cell saga 2.0. RR returns, two android antagonists that end up fighting a bigger threat, Gohan watches someone he cares about almost die and gets a transformation that looks like SS2, Cell returns - kind of - and Piccolo fights an android and has to get a power up. I don't mind, it's a movie. If this was an arc, I would mind.

Characters:

Piccolo: he was pretty great in this movie, everyone says this is Gohan's movie, but I felt that Piccolo had a bigger role. I loved his interactions with Pan, super wholesome. I liked that he got his own transformation, he hasn't had much love since DBZ. Also the way he holds his phone is perfect.

Pan: She was good too. She didn't fall into same category that some kids do in these movies where they're just annoying. Her little arc with learning how to fly was cool. Her punching those RR members was amazing, she doesn't give a fuck lol. I also thought it was weird at first that it was normal that Piccolo would pick her up from school, what with him being a green alien man, but then I remembered the dog king, King Furry.

Goku: it's Goku, he doesn't do much in this one

Vegeta: Vegeta is more interesting than Goku in this one, I like that they carry over Vegeta's arc from the TOP where he tries a different approach to power than Goku. Also his fight with Goku was pretty great. It was cool swing them fight without transformations allowed at all.

Jiren: I love that this is the second movie that he gets a cameo in, he has an impact on the main characters.

Broly: It was cool seeing him here even if he doesn't do anything. We'll see if they do anything with him in the future.

Cheelai & Lemo: they're here too I guess, we'll see if they do anything in the future.

Beerus: honestly not too big of a fan, after the tournament I was kind of hoping Beerus would take the whole God thing more seriously, but he's kind of just the same character. Also, Beerus having a crush on Cheelai was not something I was expecting at all, but it was kinda funny.

RR: not the biggest fan of them reusing these guys for a third time, especially since Goku doesn't interact with them at all, could have been worse. Magenta is an alright villain.

Gamma 1 & 2: I liked them, they were pretty fun characters, I do wish we had more time to see their reaction to the RR's "betrayal", but they were alright in my opinion. Gamma 2's sacrifice was sad,but not tearjerking. Truly the biggest flaw with this movie is that Great Saiyaman is never mentioned, not even once. Maybe in the future we'll get to see that interaction. Or maybe not, I'm pretty sure this is Broly's first appearance since his movie.

Heto: outside of the fact that he knew the RR was evil the whole time, he was aight. Him making androids that are really strong is weird, but it happened with 17 & 18 So I don't care.

Cell Max: I would have preferred if Cell had came back like Frieza, and wasn't this big mindless monster considering he's kinda unique as a villain, at least in his Perfect Form. My buddy I went to the movie with said that him coming back as a different Cell means his character can't be ruined, but I would rather see the original Cell.

Goten & Trunks: it was cool seeing them grown up, and they didn't seem really annoying this time. It unfortunate that nearly every time they show up they fuse, but oh well.

Krillin: I think it's interesting that Krillin is kind of becoming a Yamcha, but he did contribute with his Solar Flare, it's kinda his thing now I guess. He would need a lot to become super relevant powerscaling wise.

Bulma: the only thing I'll mention is that I like the continuity from the Broly movie of her using the Dragon Balls for really stupid things.

Gohan: I have many opinions on Gohan, both in this movie and in general. I mostly want to know, what the fuck is is character supposed to be? It seems like he's the fighter who doesn't like to fight but steps up to save the day. However, Super has made him hilariously weak a few times, and then have him come back as a fighter. It was alright in the Guy saga, although he didn't entirely gain that power himself, it was given to him, and they did the same arc of him being arrogant. Then Ressurection F came along and made him even weaker, and then he trained for the TOP, and then reset him. That's what they do, and I wish they would make him consistent. If he's going to be a scholar, than keep him as a scholar. It's annoying that they keep repeating the dosage arc with him. I wish the series would make up its mind. I don't mind either interpretation (save for Ressurection F's version. Tracksuit Gohan can burn in hell) it's the way he swings back and forth. His transformation is cool (dumb name imo). I'll agree with the above comments about Gohan Blanco technically being canon lol. Also as I said before the fact that Great Saiyaman isn't referenced at all is bullshit. Of all the movies to feature him, and all he gets is Gohan having a reaction to Gamma 1 saying "justice". Lastly, "Super Saiyant" is amazing.

The only thing I want to talk about is Frieza. Honestly, I'm kinda sick of this dude. He's been brought back numerous times already, I would rather a different villain eturn, or a new villiain. Maybe bring someone from GT and do a new interpretation? Maybe the Shadow Dragons? I'm tired of this dude, and I hope the next arc that's about him is his last. Beerus could Hakai him outta existence and I would not care. The one thing that will make his return justified is if he travels to universe 11 to kick Toppo's ass. That's the kinda pettiness I'd love to see.

Saw Superhero with with friends and family on the last day it was airing lol. Despite how much I trashed on the Super anime I think the manga and movies are pretty average and are roughly Buu saga levels in-terms of Dragon Ball standards. In-terms of its competition in the modern era, however, especially regarding stuff produced in Japan, they blow everything out of the water. Dragon Ball is still mostly consistent to the roots of its franchise and has significant amounts of character growth during the fighting. There is no pausing the enjoyment of the series for a ton of psuedo-intellectual bs that a lot of modern series fall into and it fits organically into the story. The stories' themes are about how people/institutions can easily make good sound bad and vice-versa, as well as always being prepared for the worst even in peaceful times. They were both executed fairly okay, the second being more demonstrated with Piccolo, the true main character in this movie, rather than Gohan.

The biggest flaw of the movie definitely has to be the initial Goku and Vegeta segment, as it was overall entirely pointless for the pacing of the movie and overall just existed for the gag at the end. Broly did absolutely nothing and Goku was an absolute idiot. (Geez Goku, who abandoned constantly training to relax when the world was at stake?) Piccolo having a transformation from Shenron actually makes sense, and as an excuse to pick him up to speed it's pretty good and can even be seen as a reward for smart and strategic planning. Gohan Blanco, on the other hand, is meh. I pretty much only like it because it shows that Dragon Ball does indeed respect their fans, but the movie could've just peaked at Mystic which really would've sold the message of Gohan needing to train. At best, Gohan could just, always trigger Beast, but just couldn't because...he didn't put the effort?

I would say this movie is close to being the best Dragon Ball movie, given how it incorporates the best of the later Z movies (almost every character is involved and has a purpose, there is a consistent plot from start to finish, and it maintains good characterization overall) while having a lot of colores bonitos that the HD era provides. (I love how they preserved the color scheme and overall fluidity of old Dragon Ball) I think if you take the large chunk of the movie that just existed to say "hey Goku won't be showing up" this would be the best Dragon Ball movie. Ironically enough, if you take out those filler sequences this actually fits perfectly into the Z timeline, meaning that the worst parts of the movie were entirely Super related. Regardless, this is a solid movie that, even if not overwhelmingly great, beats the competition by a country mile. That's pretty much how I feel about the Super manga, too.

Last edited:
i think super hero was mid, i love everything else
I have the opposite viewpoint lol Superhero was basically what I wanted from a Dragon Ball continuation where as everything else is just repeating all the mistakes the Buu Saga made with nothing that made that arc endearing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)