Gen 4 [DPP OU] Excal's "Hitmontop Stall" Team

Excal’s “Hitmontop Stall” Team

Hi, for the most of you that don’t know me, I’m Excal, a competitive DPP OU player. I’ve been playing “competitive pokemon” since late 2009, but I only recently started participating in tournaments. My reasons for posting are mainly that I’d like to become more involved in discussing competitive mons and the community here at Smogon, and I would love any feedback I can get on this team. I feel that this team brings something unique to the table, and I haven’t seen anything like it before. Unfortunately all I have to show for it is peaking the ladder, so posting here feels like a great way to further integrate myself with the community and competitive scene. As such this is my first team, so I apologize in advance if I didn’t write this up in a completely conventional way that pertains to this form.

A quick note about the team’s classification as “Hitmontop Stall” before I begin is that I don’t really know what else to call it. I view the team as a bulky balance, but it typically plays the long game and plays like stall.

Anyway, onto the team.

The Team

Devangaard (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Trick
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
Jirachi is my main source of “offense” (AKA hax). It is the only pokemon with any offensive investment, and plays multiple roles within the team that no other pokemon is capable of doing simultaneously.

For one, it sets up stealth rock. Nothing else on the team has room for rocks. And since it is my lead, it has the option to set up stealth rock from turn 1. Using stealth rock early can also allow you to bluff the lack of a scarf to cripple an opposing pokemon later in the game with trick. In that way, ironically, choice scarf and stealth rock are a good combination. This is especially effective vs opposing lead scarf Jirachis. Almost all the time, scarf Jirachi runs jolly nature, so it will go first on you and you will set up stealth rocks afterward. Obviously having my scarfed pokemon using stealth rock is overall not optimal, but in the team’s case it is the best option.

It also functions as a revenge killer for DDtar, and is the primary revenge killer for DDnite. Iron head and ice punch round out the set nicely for these purposes. Jirachi can also use trick to stop more set-up pokemon like wish calm mind Jirachi and DD Kingdra. Try to save your choice scarf for as long as possible, so that you can accurately decide what you want to trick (if you want to let go of it at all). Often times if you haphazardly use trick early on, a sweeper will have a much higher chance of finishing you off.

Iron head is scarf Jirachi’s overall strongest move as it carries out Jirachi’s multi-purpose agenda (AKA hax). Ice punch also comes into play in stall matches as a way to pressure the opponent with chances of a freeze. Often times an ice punch freeze can shift a battle completely in your favor, and if you are playing vs. another stall team, you will have plenty of opportunities to spam ice punch. This is not something I would recommend until you want to transition out of the mid game, of course.

Scarf Jirachi, if I haven’t implied this enough, makes a fantastic lead. It is effective in shutting down both conventional suicide SR leads like Aerodactyl and Azelf, and anti-leads like Machamp (at your own risk with Machamp, more on this later).

Overall, Jirachi is extremely valuable to the team, and you want to hold onto it for as long as possible. I also want to note that putting jolly nature over adamant is totally fine. Jolly scarfrachi allows it to outspeed +2 DDtar, if you find that to be necessary (which I don’t think you will). Adamant nature is also important for the extra power with iron head and ice punch. In particular, ice punch with an adamant nature will secure the kill on opposing dragons like Dragonite and Flygon much more frequently.

Jinx (Hitmontop) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 60 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Close Combat
- Rest
This Hitmontop is one of the two stars of the team. Hitmontop is a pokemon that you will almost never see at the high level, but given the right support it fits a niche no other pokemon can truly fit. Beyond the support it receives, the magic of this hitmontop lies in its EV spread.

Before covering the EV spread, I want to state Hitmontop’s role in the most concise way possible. While it does so much more for the team, the two most important jobs it has are handling all variants of Tyranitar, and using foresight and rapid spin on opposing rotom and gengar (more on gengar later).

The EV spread is simple. 252 HP and 60 Sp Def EVs, combined with a careful nature, allow Hitmontop to foresight, spin, and rest off the damage of a non-specially-invested Rotom’s thunderbolt. The rest is poured into Def to handle Tyranitar as well as it possibly can, on the physical side. These EVs round Hitmontop out as a strong mixed wall, which is heavily-suited for taking on Tyranitar in the most versatile way possible.

Like Jirachi, Hitmontop performs multiple roles. If I’ve eliminated Tyranitar from the equation, hitmontop is my go-to sleep fodder. It assists in countering Breloom by softening its power with intimidate and taking spore when it needs to. Combining foresight, rapid spin, and rest, Hitmontop can sit in seemingly forever because foresight and rapid spin alone have a whopping 124 PP. Hitmontop also takes uninvested Starmie’s surfs very well, and can rest off the damage and sit in.

Hitmontop’s strongest partners on this team are Rotom and Dragonite. Hitmontop and Rotom can feed off each other on Machamp with intimidate, switching between to eat payback and dpunch. Dragonite and Hitmontop have strong type synergy in that Hitmontop comes in on any rock attacks aimed at Dragonite. It also can come in to pokemon like Gliscor and Hippowdon if they threaten to ice fang. Dragonite also heal bells for Hitmontop, allowing it to instantly wake up after a rest so it can continue its job to suppress Tyranitar and rapid spin. And likewise, Hitmontop spins for Dragonite so that it has a much easier time switching in.

Faerlina (Dragonite) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flamethrower
- Heal Bell
- Roost
Dragonite is the other star of this team. It surprises me that Dragonite is almost never seen as a physical tank because dragon/flying is a very good defensive typing. It is the premier physical tank of this team, and forms a core with Blissey that I mentioned earlier. Its main job aside from general walling and being a cleric is to stop many fighting types like Infernape, Breloom, and Lucario. It also is a go-to pokemon in dealing with paraflinch Jirachi and all variants of Scizor.

The EVs are yet again simple. HP is near maximized and Def is maximized. There is a bit of speed to creep but that is optional. I understand if you don’t like 244 HP, so you can do 248 instead and reduce 4 EVs from speed.

Heal bell is the main move on this Dragonite for reasons already stated. It allows the team to do its thing. Serene grace Blissey and rest Hitmontop would not function properly without this needed cleric support. This also allows the team to eat status in order to perform certain roles when needed.

Dragon claw and flamethrower are used to make Dragonite a mixed attacker. Flamethrower hits steel types harder than fire punch, and dragon claw is generally stronger than dragon pulse.

Regarding Infernape, you should switch out of Dragonite after entering if you suspect that HP ice is on the Infernape set. Vaporeon thankfully is the best answer to specially-based mixape. Dragonite and Vaporeon function as a main Infernape-stopping core. This is one of the things that I like about this team the most because I have found it so difficult to account for Infernape when creating teams, and for good reason.

Regarding Breloom, this Dragonite was inspired by walling Breloom. Be careful with stone edge. While that is uncommon, it can still surprise you. Its calc, assuming adamant Breloom, is 46.8 - 55.2%. But if it has seed bomb and focus punch (or seed bomb, superpower, and mach punch), this Dragonite will wall Breloom for days. I recommend dragon clawing on the substitute, and then using flamethrower when it is not behind a sub. This will catch many Breloom that try to focus punch on the roost. It is also important to never let Dragonite fall asleep. I have found Rotom to be the best sleep fodder overall, but hitmontop is better if you’ve already eliminated Tyranitar like I said before. Sometimes, Vaporeon will also be a desirable sleep fodder to have, but it is much more risky to pull that off. Blissey gets a special mention here as it can function as a sleep fodder with serene grace. I can remember several times where a Breloom has spored my Blissey, and then spored again on the switch only to have *Sleep Clause Mod Activated* show up on their screen. Once something is asleep, Dragonite will force almost all Breloom out, making it much more manageable.

Regarding Jirachi, it is evident that with physical bulk, inner focus, and heal bell, that this Dragonite is a staple in dealing with paraflinch Jirachi. While parahax can still happen, I have completely shut down paraflinch Jirachis several times using this Dragonite’s roost and flamethrower, and heal belling to cure my team of the paralysis.

Overall, this Dragonite is special. It baffles me how incredibly strong this pokemon is as a physical wall, yet I almost never see it. It is the glue to this team. When I win, this Dragonite is almost always alive. With proper scouting, you can wall so many more pokemon than I mentioned earlier. Hitmontop and Dragonite’s core is so strong, and it’s what makes this team so unique.

God Serena (Vaporeon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 64 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect
- Surf
Vaporeon is the best bulky water for this team, as it passes wish, provides Gyarados and Suicune control, spreads toxic, functions as the go-to Kingdra-stopper, puts a stop to many rain dance pokemon, and overall makes for a fantastic mixed wall that can take on many threats at full health.

The EVs maximize physical defense, as its special defense is naturally better, while still giving generous investment to both HP and SpDef.

Vaporeon and Blissey get a special mention as a strong core. These two together solidify the team against many sweepers like Empoleon, Heatran, any specially-oriented rain dance sweeper (like Ludicolo, RD Kingdra, etc.), and even Gengar and mixed Flygon.

Vaporeon is also extremely strong vs paraflinch Jirachi. While Dragonite will often be used to counter it, Vaporeon also will use protect to eat twice as many iron heads as it normally would.

I want to include a special section under Vaporeon for Kingdra control. As you will see later, dragon dance Kingdra is easily one of if not the most threatening pokemon to this team. Upon creation I had a ton of difficulty managing my way around Kingdra, but over time I have improved my game vs Kingdra tremendously with this team. To start, you almost always want to switch in Vaporeon once an opposing Kingdra is revealed. If it’s rain dance, great, you don’t have to worry. But if it reveals dragon dance, it becomes much more of a threat. If you cannot trick Kingdra with Jirachi, you want to toxic it as soon as possible. As soon as you think Kingdra is going to rest, toxic it again. Once that has happened, the Kingdra will now be a lot more manageable, and you can sit in with wish and protect if you see fit. As soon as Kingdra tries to go to sleep again, Dragonite can come in and kill it with two dragon claws. There are some other ways to handle Kingdra, but I wanted to mention the way I have used Vaporeon effectively to shut it down.

Suzumiya (Blissey) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
This is serene grace Blissey. What’s interesting is that this team started out as a core of physically bulky heal bell Dragonite and serene grace Blissey. Upon first glance, you would think that this is insanity, but I have found that it actually is superior to natural cure for this team. Serene grace Blissey is a gimmick, truth be told, but one that is capable of so much and has been a key component of my success with this team.

The EVs on this Blissey are straightforward, like with almost all Blissey. Maximize HP and Def. Done.

Seismic toss and soft-boiled are mandatory moves. The only interesting thing I have to say about Blissey’s seismic toss is that it can combine with Hitmontop’s foresight to hit ghosts like Gengar and Rotom. Even though 99% of the time you will use shadow ball, this is a tactic I have used to hide shadow ball and flamethrower.

Flamethrower is used as a surprise move, but also a burn machine. In a stall match, I have won battles by burning almost an entire team with this Blissey’s flamethrower. This is not something I depend on, but rather can be a bonus. Flamethrower nets nasty surprise kills on incoming Scizor, and Forretress that think they can set up on Blissey. It also helps for Skarmory control, and has a generous amount of PP. If I cannot trick wish+calm mind Jirachi, I will use flamethrower to try to burn the Jirachi and force it to use more wishes. Hippowdon gets a special mention here because it is very difficult to land a toxic on it, given that it will switch out as soon as Vaporeon comes in. So you can use flamethrower to try to burn Hippowdon if you want, but this isn’t advised as something you should always do.

Shadow Ball is my SpDef drop machine, and my ghost killer. I am able to beat out both subsplit Gengar and subsplit Rotom 1v1 with Shadow Ball. I break all of the subs until they are forced to pain split, and when they do that I have a 40% chance of lowering their SpDef. I can safely soft-boiled back up to full so that I am not killed by focus blast or thunderbolt from Gengar and Rotom respectively. Shadow ball is also my way of forcing Starmie out if I need it gone, and even killing it quickly if it’s the last pokemon. It will be forced to recover much more frequently than it normally would on a mono-toss Blissey. I have used the SpDef drops from this Blissey in conjunction with Vaporeon’s surf, Dragonite’s flamethrower, and even Rotom’s discharge.

Blissey overall functions as my premier special wall. Regarding Heatran, I usually will switch Vaporeon into Heatran first, then reveal Blissey later as a check.

Lite (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Light Screen
- Discharge
Last but not least, if you thought this team wasn’t weird enough, check out this Rotom set! Rotom is what rounds the team out perfectly. It forms an incredible core with almost all of the pokemon on the team (Rotom + Dragonite, Rotom + Vaporeon for Metagross, Rotom + Hitmontop for Machamp as examples). Rotom, like most members of this team, has a ton of PP to spare. It invalidates opposing Blissey and Clefable, and will easily force almost all of them out in due time. Rotom is also a key switch-in to Swampert and Scizor, and will more often than not be able to burn them.

The EVs once again are simple. Maximize HP and Defense. 8 Speed EVs are important to outspeed fast Machamp (max speed 209; this Rotom is 210).

Light Screen + Will-O-Wisp combine together to make this Rotom unbelievably annoying and difficult to kill. The light screen is absolutely integral to the set as it supports all of the physical walls brilliantly (Dragonite gets a special mention), improves Rotom’s performance against Starmie, and most importantly functions to support Hitmontop’s rapid spinning vs opposing special attackers and ghosts. Light screen also provides great Heatran resistance (as even with Vaporeon and Blissey I never would underestimate Heatran), and will make Rotom invalidate standard SR pert.

Discharge is great for supporting potential Jirachi paraflinch shenanigans and the team overall as, if you haven’t noticed, the team aside from Jirachi is quite slow (that means it does well vs. trick room teams, lol). Discharge is especially useful on Clefable, as you will have stall wars with that pokemon and paralyzing it will always be a good idea. Just try to use discharge sparingly and alternate your moves.

Pain split rounds out the set because Rotom needs to heal, and this enables it to invalidate Blissey and Clefable for the most part, like I stated above.

The way I use this Rotom is that I tend to send it out as early as possible to bait out Tyranitar. When doing this, almost always use Will-O-Wisp immediately. If Tyranitar gets in on Rotom and you don’t burn it, you must stay in and go for Will-O-Wisp again. You can then pain split and find a way to get out of there alive, or at worst the Tyranitar will take it with you. I have actually beaten out several Tyranitar using this Rotom alone and living to tell the tale!

So overall Rotom functions as an early scouter, an integral wall to check threats that have not been checked yet, a spinblock, a status-spreader, a supporter with light screen, a PP monster, and an overall irritating pokemon to face.

Threats

The most incredible part about this team is how many conventional threats it somehow can deal with at once, but obviously no team deals with everything. So there are some conventional and obscure threats I wanted to bring to attention.

Conventional Threats (in no particular order)

Kingdra: Kingdra has been mentioned several times in this guide, and for good reason. I view dragon dance + rest Kingdra as the biggest threat to this team. Please refer to the Vaporeon section of this guide for more detail, but to sum it up briefly again, the way I deal with Kingdra is to either trick it with Jirachi or beat it out with Vaporeon + Dragonite + Rotom. In general, however, expect some difficulty facing dragon dance Kingdra

Roserade: Roserade can be an annoying early game pokemon until its set is scouted, and it can be properly walled. Dragonite is usually the go-to roserade switch-in after hidden power ice has been scouted. Even though Hitmontop is an incredible spinner, Vaporeon and Blissey do not like toxic spikes at all, and Roserade is very good at laying them down against this team. It is more annoying than Nidoqueen because it needs to be scouted out, it is more powerful, and it is faster.

Shaymin: Outside of Blissey, hidden power ice Shaymin can be rough for this team. Try to scout out its hidden power, and if you find out it’s fire, then Dragonite is a shoe-in. Leech seed Shaymin is the annoying one to play around, so an interchanging of Blissey and Dragonite is usually effective, if possible. Hitmontop is another alternative, as it can rapid spin Shaymin's leech seed away, and doesn't give it much health back.

Tyranitar: Even with the wonderful Hitmontop, Tyranitar is still a huge threat to this team if it is not dealt with properly and things don’t go according to plan. In particular, choice band Tyranitar is the scariest variant. Hitmontop can still come in, but this will make it more difficult. To play around it, you do the same methods that I illustrated earlier in the guide, but you have to play more precisely around it.

Jirachi: Despite how incredibly well this team deals with paraflinch Jirachi, there are two incredibly annoying Jirachi sets that are very difficult to deal with: sub calm mind and wish calm mind. Basically, if you don’t trick these Jirachis, you will have a very difficult time against them. You need to be in with Blissey and spamming flamethrower as much as you can, which will break Jirachi’s subs without a calm mind up. In a perfect world, Blissey will beat out wish calm mind Jirachi, but hax is a thing and it will happen. While it is very hard for this Jirachi to 6-0 your team, it can do a ton of damage. Trick both Jirachi sets mentioned if possible.

Suicune: In the same way that calm mind Jirachi is a threat, sub calm mind Suicune also is a huge threat, especially if it has hidden power electric > ice beam as its fourth move. It is not nearly as bad as Jirachi, but can still wreak havoc if not played around properly. CroCune, I want to mention, is handled for sure by interchanging Vaporeon and Blissey, and rapid spinning on the crocune with Hitmontop as soon as possible.

Zapdos: Zapdos is another pokemon that I have gotten much better at playing around over time. It is very hard to poison this, but sometimes you might have to. The way this works is that you will only need to poison it if it’s a bulky variant. So Vaporeon at full health can take a tbolt surprisingly well and surprise the Zapdos with a toxic. Burning Zapdos with Blissey and Rotom is another solid option, as over time it will be forced to use roost a lot more. No matter how you want to spin it, Zapdos is played around by stalling it out usually. If you want to trick it, make sure you’ve solved higher priorities first. But because of the way Zapdos is handled by this team, it can be a big threat in combination with other pokemon that abuse toxic spikes and make Hitmontop’s job difficult.

Skarmory: This team cannot OHKO skarmory bar occasional Rotom discharge KOs (few opponents will let you get away with that). Skarmory should be dealt with by spamming flamethrower with Blissey and Dragonite, surfing it with Vaporeon, and forcing it out with Rotom. Like Zapdos, make it run out of roosts. Also Skarmory can both set up hazards and threaten Hitmontop. Hitmontop can take a brave bird if it needs to get an emergency spin off, but only do this in case of an emergency.

Celebi: Calm mind Celebi thankfully loses to Blissey usually, but the combination of calm mind and leech seed can be very annoying. Dragonite usually can function as a nice switch in to CM Celebi as almost none will ever run HP ice.

Gyarados: Dragon dance Gyarados can never be underestimated. Jirachi is not capable of revenge-killing it, only tricking it if needed. So the one Gyarados that can be very annoying to deal with is taunt and DD. An interchanging of Vaporeon, Dragonite and Hitmontop can make taunt Gyarados have an extremely difficult time sweeping if trick is not on the table. But in this situation if the Gyarados plays perfectly it can clean late game. While hidden power electric is a very tempting option on Vaporeon, it absolutely needs toxic. So don’t replace that if you are having Gyarados issues. Non-taunt variants of Gyarados are shut down by Vaporeon’s toxic or Jirachi’s trick.

Dragonite: Mixnite and CB Nite are huge threats to this team. Because Jirachi is the only steel, you need to pick your spots. Rotom and Vaporeon can take an outrage, and the latter mon can protect and cause confusion. Vaporeon can come into Mixnite once always when at full health, assuming no hazards. And if no sand, it can come in on rocks and a layer of spikes. While Mixnite in theory is ridiculous, switching around can cause it to not do as well.

Magnezone: While Kingdra is, in my opinion, the biggest solo threat to this team, Magnezone is an exception in that the DragMag core is devastating to this team. It’s difficult, but try to play around Magnezone trapping Jirachi if possible. For example, when Aerodactyl suicide rocks is leading, you first iron head it down to its sash. Then, instead of staying in, you switch out immediately to Hitmontop to hopefully finish it and its rocks off with a rapid spin. But while dragmag builds aren’t an auto-win vs my team, they have an extremely strong matchup and it will be difficult to play around. Outside of trapping Jirachi and supporting dragon spam, Magnezone is invalidated by Blissey and light screen Rotom (and by extension other pokemon on the team like Hitmontop).

Metagross: Once Rotom and Vaporeon are out of the equation, the most you have vs Metagross is Dragonite, which even then is not reliable. Burn Metagross as soon as possible. Otherwise, with Rotom and Vaporeon around, Metagross won’t be super threatening. In combination of Tyranitar, however, this can be an issue if you choke or if your opponent outplays you.

Swampert: Swampert is only ever a terrifying threat to this team if it is of the CursePert variant (see obscure threats).

Obscure Threats

To sum up most of the obscure threats, a combination of rest, set-up move, and two attacks will be an issue with specific pokemon. The most notable one is CursePert, like I stated before, but it has to have the exact set of Rest, Curse, Ice Punch, and Earthquake. Without trick, this Swampert, outside of lowering its SpDef with Blissey and then surfing with Vaporeon, will near auto-win. Even non-curse restperts can be stalled out.

However, here are two obscure threats that I can think of:

Lucario: I call this an obscure threat because there is only one set, which is obscure, that will be a huge threat: Swords Dance, Close Combat, Crunch, Ice Punch. Almost nobody would ever not run extremespeed on their SD Luc. The way my team handles conventional Lucario is usually through Dragonite, if Luc has crunch > ice punch; and if the Luc has ice punch > crunch, Rotom will handle. And Hitmontop can intimidate.

Sceptile: SubSeed Sceptile with hidden power ice can be exceptionally annoying because switching between Dragonite and Blissey will be hard. While this can be stalled out anyway, it has to be noted here as a threat. If it has grass knot, Rotom can be used as a switchin. Hitmontop with rapid spin again can be effective.

Conclusion

So, there you have it everyone. This is the best team I have ever made, and by far the most in-depth I’ve ever gone with teambuilding. I’ve never been able to create a team as anti-meta as this. The overall coverage is crazy, and I have truly found it to be incredibly reliable for general use and in tournaments. I feel that I’ve covered everything I can possibly think of for now.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Like I said, this is my first RMT post, and I would definitely appreciate constructive criticism on how to improve the team, and even my format/writing. I tried to be as concise as possible with this while still touching on important details. Also, if anyone has suggestions on how I can become more involved with the Smogon community, definitely shoot me a comment/message! Also, don't hesitate to ask any questions about the team!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, I really appreciate it! And I hope you enjoyed the read.

- Excal

Devangaard (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Trick
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head

Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Close Combat
- Rest

Faerlina (Dragonite) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flamethrower
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Bold Nature
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect
- Surf

Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Lite (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Light Screen
- Discharge

Last edited:
This team is honestly inspirational. Well done. The creativity is really awesome to see.

Without Hitmontop, this team wouldn't really be able to function, way too weak to DD/CB Tar. This is also a case where if anyone picks up the team and tries to play it, it won't be nearly as good. Even with Light Screen on Rotom, your over reliance on Blissey to check special attackers makes the team hard to play with Tyranitar on some 60% of teams.

With that said, I just want to make a suggestion. Haze/Roar > Toxic on Vaporeon. Haze is more consistent against CroCune, DD Kingdra, CursePert etc, because you can wish back the damage after hazing; however, I see Roar being more useful in situations where you may have wanted to Toxic. Also a good way to scout out and chip bulky grass types, which the team struggles with as well.

Just a nit pick, I would rather see those 12 EVs on Dragonite in SpA than speed. I don't see the value of that speed number (179), at 176 you're already faster than 8 speed Scizor or much slower than 252 speed Scizor.

This team is honestly inspirational. Well done. The creativity is really awesome to see.

Without Hitmontop, this team wouldn't really be able to function, way too weak to DD/CB Tar. This is also a case where if anyone picks up the team and tries to play it, it won't be nearly as good. Even with Light Screen on Rotom, your over reliance on Blissey to check special attackers makes the team hard to play with Tyranitar on some 60% of teams.

With that said, I just want to make a suggestion. Haze/Roar > Toxic on Vaporeon. Haze is more consistent against CroCune, DD Kingdra, CursePert etc, because you can wish back the damage after hazing; however, I see Roar being more useful in situations where you may have wanted to Toxic. Also a good way to scout out and chip bulky grass types, which the team struggles with as well.

Just a nit pick, I would rather see those 12 EVs on Dragonite in SpA than speed. I don't see the value of that speed number (179), at 176 you're already faster than 8 speed Scizor or much slower than 252 speed Scizor.
Thanks so much man, I really appreciate it!! I'm glad you like the team.

Haze and Roar are definitely really solid options. The fourth move on Vaporeon has always been a difficult choice for me, and the one thing that kept me on toxic was the fact that no other pokemon has room for the move and that it would make me worse off vs non-taunt variants of Gyarados, which I cannot reliably revenge kill. So I suppose roar would be the happy median there. Roar would help the most vs calm mind Jirachi for sure, and haze would help the most vs Kingdra. I will do some more testing and what not to see if I can figure out an overall strongest move (leaning toward roar). But thanks again for pointing those two moves out! While I have considered roar a ton, I neglected haze for the most part in my considerations for some reason. And for sure this is a good reminder that I should rethink about Vaporeon's fourth move.

The 12 speed EVs on Dragonite are mainly to speed creep on lead Metagross and some fully-physically-invested Skarmory as well. It's definitely optional and can go into special attack if you prefer that.

Hi Excal , this is a nice team that you have here, very creative and definitely goes against the grain.

This team is kind of hard to rate because while there are many possible changes that could be made, some could completely fuck up the team's structure itself if you change one mon.

I don't like the dragonite set, if I'm being honest, you have two mons that already outperform dragonite in a cleric role in Blissey + Vaporeon. The main problem with this team that I see is that it doesn't have really any offensive pressure outside of Jirachi, which in itself is most of the time not going to be enough. So in order to fix this, I am suggesting making Dnite a Choice Band set. CB Dnite gives your team extra offensive pressure while still providing similar defensive values. If you ran a mixnite with roost, I feel as though it wouldn't be able to properly sustain itself and have enough room to apply the pressure that mixnite can. The extremespeed and extra wallbreaking power from dnite could really help your team and make things easier vs fatter teams. Sleep talk night is the shit as well.

If we are changing Dnite from the cleric set to choice band then one of your other mons can take on this rol., then I recommend you changing Blissey to a cleric set with Hb/Sb/Seismic toss /Rocks. This will give more role compression to your team and free up your jirachi slightly. I like the classic trick scarf lead, but on this team I don't think it works as well because this team really likes having its scarfer. Another option on Blissey is to have thunder wave over a cleric move so that you can punish your opponents switch-ins.

The haze / roar suggestion made by energy is a good one and prevents a lot of dangerous sweepers from setting up on your team. I would go roar personally, but both have plenty of merit.

/

As for Jirachi, you could go a few ways with this one, I would personally probably make it a 3 atks sub lead and make rotom scarf with hp ice for better coverage vs dragons. But if you want to keep Jirachi scarf then making it a standard set of IP/IH/FP/U-turn would probably be optimal. If you keep Rachi scarf then maybe a colbur berry rotom would be interesting on this team. I just don't like defensive rotom in general because when I have used it usually is just tar bait which your team is really weak to already. Maybe your team need that extra coverage vs fighting types, i'm not sure.

tl;dr
Dnite: Cleric > CB
Blissey: Wall > SR
Jirachi: Scarf SR > Standard Scarf / 3atks Sub
Rotom: Defensive > Colbur / Scarf
Vap Roar / Haze > Toxic

Sets
Devangaard (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 200 Atk / 148 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Fire Punch
- Substitute

Faerlina (Dragonite) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Sleep Talk

Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Close Combat
- Rest

Bold Nature
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect
- Surf

Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

Lite (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Ice]

So my recommended version of the team would look something like this, a lot of these changes are flexible and this team will still play rather defensively, just more like a balance. I tried my best to do stuff without changing the structure or mons on the team because they all looked like they filled a certain niche. You can really lead with dnite or rachi up to you. I really like your interesting use of hitmontop and I hope you keep playing dpp!

- Sneak

Hi Excal , this is a nice team that you have here, very creative and definitely goes against the grain.

This team is kind of hard to rate because while there are many possible changes that could be made, some could completely fuck up the team's structure itself if you change one mon.

I don't like the dragonite set, if I'm being honest, you have two mons that already outperform dragonite in a cleric role in Blissey + Vaporeon. The main problem with this team that I see is that it doesn't have really any offensive pressure outside of Jirachi, which in itself is most of the time not going to be enough. So in order to fix this, I am suggesting making Dnite a Choice Band set. CB Dnite gives your team extra offensive pressure while still providing similar defensive values. If you ran a mixnite with roost, I feel as though it wouldn't be able to properly sustain itself and have enough room to apply the pressure that mixnite can. The extremespeed and extra wallbreaking power from dnite could really help your team and make things easier vs fatter teams. Sleep talk night is the shit as well.

If we are changing Dnite from the cleric set to choice band then one of your other mons can take on this rol., then I recommend you changing Blissey to a cleric set with Hb/Sb/Seismic toss /Rocks. This will give more role compression to your team and free up your jirachi slightly. I like the classic trick scarf lead, but on this team I don't think it works as well because this team really likes having its scarfer. Another option on Blissey is to have thunder wave over a cleric move so that you can punish your opponents switch-ins.

The haze / roar suggestion made by energy is a good one and prevents a lot of dangerous sweepers from setting up on your team. I would go roar personally, but both have plenty of merit.

/

As for Jirachi, you could go a few ways with this one, I would personally probably make it a 3 atks sub lead and make rotom scarf with hp ice for better coverage vs dragons. But if you want to keep Jirachi scarf then making it a standard set of IP/IH/FP/U-turn would probably be optimal. If you keep Rachi scarf then maybe a colbur berry rotom would be interesting on this team. I just don't like defensive rotom in general because when I have used it usually is just tar bait which your team is really weak to already. Maybe your team need that extra coverage vs fighting types, i'm not sure.

tl;dr
Dnite: Cleric > CB
Blissey: Wall > SR
Jirachi: Scarf SR > Standard Scarf / 3atks Sub
Rotom: Defensive > Colbur / Scarf
Vap Roar / Haze > Toxic

Sets
Devangaard (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 200 Atk / 148 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Fire Punch
- Substitute

Faerlina (Dragonite) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Sleep Talk

Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Close Combat
- Rest

Bold Nature
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect
- Surf

Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

Lite (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Ice]

So my recommended version of the team would look something like this, a lot of these changes are flexible and this team will still play rather defensively, just more like a balance. I tried my best to do stuff without changing the structure or mons on the team because they all looked like they filled a certain niche. You can really lead with dnite or rachi up to you. I really like your interesting use of hitmontop and I hope you keep playing dpp!

- Sneak
Hi Sneak, just wanted to say thanks so much for your incredibly insightful reply! You definitely touched on some important topics (like the effect of modifying the team on the structure, my lack of offensive pressure, and the necessity for the scarfer to be kept around, for example).

I think that overall, your revision makes for a fantastic, more offensive take on my team for sure. When looking at both teams it seems like a transition from a more stall-based and slow team to a team that, while it still plays more on the defensive side, plays much more fast-paced and with much more power than my version. I really like in particular how your version addresses dragon spam and both compresses roles and frees up space for my sweepers.

That said, I think our two versions are very different when it comes to certain threats. The overall reasons for this are that your changes take away a lot of the coverage to hit certain walls and they take away a portion of the defensive value of the team, which specializes vs fatter teams in particular. For the former, for instance, Skarmory becomes significantly more difficult to deal with on your version due to the lack of flamethrower on dnite and blissey, so it feels significantly less pressure. Fighting types like Lucario and Infernape are more difficult due to the loss of Dragonite's bulk. Defensive Rotom also covers threats like Metagross, Jirachi, and Bronzong. There are also nuances in strategy that I touched on to deal with certain threats like Tyranitar (ie. baiting it out with defensive Rotom and burning it) that are difficult to maintain with the defensive loss. This is to be expected though, since not only does an offensive shift from a defensive team naturally bring about losses due to defensive coverage but also your changes are quite big. So I do think that both versions have their benefits for sure.

I have been meaning to make an alternate version of this team, and yours is significantly stronger than others that I have created, so I definitely appreciate that a lot and will try it out for sure. But I think both versions are distinguishable enough to where both can be used according to personal preference. And there's nothing wrong with having two versions!!

Hi Sneak, just wanted to say thanks so much for your incredibly insightful reply! You definitely touched on some important topics (like the effect of modifying the team on the structure, my lack of offensive pressure, and the necessity for the scarfer to be kept around, for example).

I think that overall, your revision makes for a fantastic, more offensive take on my team for sure. When looking at both teams it seems like a transition from a more stall-based and slow team to a team that, while it still plays more on the defensive side, plays much more fast-paced and with much more power than my version. I really like in particular how your version addresses dragon spam and both compresses roles and frees up space for my sweepers.

That said, I think our two versions are very different when it comes to certain threats. The overall reasons for this are that your changes take away a lot of the coverage to hit certain walls and they take away a portion of the defensive value of the team, which specializes vs fatter teams in particular. For the former, for instance, Skarmory becomes significantly more difficult to deal with on your version due to the lack of flamethrower on dnite and blissey, so it feels significantly less pressure. Fighting types like Lucario and Infernape are more difficult due to the loss of Dragonite's bulk. Defensive Rotom also covers threats like Metagross, Jirachi, and Bronzong. There are also nuances in strategy that I touched on to deal with certain threats like Tyranitar (ie. baiting it out with defensive Rotom and burning it) that are difficult to maintain with the defensive loss. This is to be expected though, since not only does an offensive shift from a defensive team naturally bring about losses due to defensive coverage but also your changes are quite big. So I do think that both versions have their benefits for sure.

I have been meaning to make an alternate version of this team, and yours is significantly stronger than others that I have created, so I definitely appreciate that a lot and will try it out for sure. But I think both versions are distinguishable enough to where both can be used according to personal preference. And there's nothing wrong with having two versions!!
I will respect your wishes on the two team idea. When I playedwith your version, I still think that it struggles really hard vs offense which is the most common playstyle in dpp, despite a slight resurgence in defensive teams. The reason for the struggles is the passive nature of the team. Even if you continue to play with your version, I still suggest that you make Dragonite a more offensive set. If your afraid of Skarm and want longevity on your Nite still, you can run a slower variant with roost and still have the best of both worlds on for your team imo.

My intial reasoning for putting CB nite over Mix nite is preference and I don't think this team provides the correct support for it to get the most from it's offenses if it was mixed. This is all theory and I could be wrong but in doing thiis swap from the cleric set ---> Bulky mixnite could be really good for this team. I think blissey and vap can be your cleric and perform better than nite. Both give setup to mons but vap might be better because it gives less room for setup sweepers to setup while healing and provides wish support if it needs to swap.

tl;dr: In testing I have found your team too passive for offensive teams, I while lacking the longevity of an all out defensive team.
For only slight changes.to the team rather than the more offensive revamp I made, change clericnite ---> bulky mixnite w/roost and make vap / bliss have a cleric move.

This is probably the last post I will make for your team, but it's still a fun team and I still like it for it's l unique approach to a fat balance / semi-stall.
Cheers,
- Sneak

Edit: Mixnite spread would probably be quiet with 16 speed EVs, max spatk, and the rest in bulk.

I will respect your wishes on the two team idea. When I playedwith your version, I still think that it struggles really hard vs offense which is the most common playstyle in dpp, despite a slight resurgence in defensive teams. The reason for the struggles is the passive nature of the team. Even if you continue to play with your version, I still suggest that you make Dragonite a more offensive set. If your afraid of Skarm and want longevity on your Nite still, you can run a slower variant with roost and still have the best of both worlds on for your team imo.

My intial reasoning for putting CB nite over Mix nite is preference and I don't think this team provides the correct support for it to get the most from it's offenses if it was mixed. This is all theory and I could be wrong but in doing thiis swap from the cleric set ---> Bulky mixnite could be really good for this team. I think blissey and vap can be your cleric and perform better than nite. Both give setup to mons but vap might be better because it gives less room for setup sweepers to setup while healing and provides wish support if it needs to swap.

tl;dr: In testing I have found your team too passive for offensive teams, I while lacking the longevity of an all out defensive team.
For only slight changes.to the team rather than the more offensive revamp I made, change clericnite ---> bulky mixnite w/roost and make vap / bliss have a cleric move.

This is probably the last post I will make for your team, but it's still a fun team and I still like it for it's l unique approach to a fat balance / semi-stall.
Cheers,
- Sneak

Edit: Mixnite spread would probably be quiet with 16 speed EVs, max spatk, and the rest in bulk.
The slower, more aggressive mixnite is definitely a fantastic idea, and I definitely understand exactly where you're coming from through your testing. The design was made to face more defensive teams and to "play the long game", so certain offensive combinations can definitely be very tough. What you are saying is definitely correct.

Thank you so much again for your feedback and contributions to the team, I appreciate it a ton and I am glad you saw potential in my team. Your feedback has been very valuable to me and to improving the team's weak points.

- Excal

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)