DP Bronzong

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Felt this was necessary in order to give more of an emphasis to Rain teams, as they can seriously decimate the OU metagame.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/bronzong

[SET]
Name: Torrential Zong
Move 1: Rain Dance
Move 2: Explosion
Move 3: Stealth Rock
Move 4: Hypnosis
Item: Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 Def
Nature: Impish
Ability: Levitate

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Very rarely is a Pokemon perfectly suited to provide almost exactly what a particular style of team requires. Then again, not many Pokemon have the utility capacity that Bronzong possesses. The EVs are set to give Bronzong more physical bulkiness, as Rain Dance will allow it to survive most Fire Blasts and Flamethrowers, the common special attacks thrown at it. 128 Attack is given to give a boost to Explosion, allowing it to always OHKO 252 HP / 0 Def Snorlax, a common deterrent to Rain Dance teams.</p>

<p>Rain Dance teams require a few factors to be ultimately successful: long lengths of Rain, Stealth Rock, and the removal of some arbitrary Pokemon so that proper switches can be more effectively handled. Bronzong sets up Rain Dance for 8 turns with Damp Rock, allows efficient switching in by Exploding (possibly on a counter), removes a threat by using Hypnosis, and sets up Stealth Rock, so Kingdra can get that guaranteed OHKO on Metagross and Kabutops can get that guaranteed OHKO on other Bronzong.</p>

<p>The reason Gyro Ball and Hidden Power Ice are ignored here is that this Bronzong isn't supposed to be an attacker or last a long time, so these moves are unnecessary. The sole purpose of this Bronzong is to come in sometime in the early to middle parts of battle (note it is not an effective lead), set up Stealth Rock, use Rain Dance, possibly Hypnotize the opponent and then Explode away, leaving 6 turns of Rain for a sweeper like Kingdra, Kabutops, Omastar, or Relicanth.</p>

The reason common options on Bronzong, like Gyro Ball and Hidden Power Ice, are completely ignored here are because they by having them available, Bronzong users will try and use these moves, which will naturally cause them to keep Bronzong alive longer than it need be.
This sentence needs a bit of rewording I think!

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The reason common options on Bronzong, like Gyro Ball and Hidden Power Ice, are completely ignored here are because by having them available
The bolded "are" is referring to the word reason, thus it's singular, and should be "is." Otherwise, very cool set, I might need it for a RD Team.

some arbitrary Pokemon to be removed so that proper switches can be more effectively handled
typo, I guess. Although because of parallel construction this part would fit better as something like "removal of some arbitrary Pokemon so that proper switches can be more effectively handled."

leaving 6 turns of Rain for Kingdra / Kabutops / Omastar / Relicanth.
Using the slashes seems kind of odd. I'd make it "leaving 6 turns of Rain for a sweeper like Kingdra, Kabutops, Omastar, or Relicanth"

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
The sentence where you explain why you didn't include certain moves sounds really awkward, and comes off to me as "I omitted these because you might do stupid things with them". I suggest you change it to something in the region of "this Bronzong isn't supposed to be an attacker or last a long time, so these moves are unnecessary...".

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
this post is for jrrrrrrr's and Aldaron's purposes...

delete, though something is weird with Bronzong.

Can someone check out the big bolded set comments lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)