Battle Spot Doubles State Tournament Dual-Core Hyper-Offense Team

Battle Spot Doubles Locals Tournament:
Hyper Offensive Team
Introduction:

Hello there to you all! I'm no stranger to Smogon or the Pokemon community in general, a long time lurker actually, but I've decided to create an account to help refine the team I've played with lots! It is within my interests to create a simple offense team that can shine in a locals battle spot doubles tournament. It focuses on hyper offense to sweep away the opposing team and win the match, and hopefully, the tournament.

Team-building Process:

Right from the get-go, I knew I needed at least 1 core to stand any sort of chance in the doubles meta. Consequently, I went with the ever popular 'double-dragon' core, with Mega-Salamence replacing the standard version, and those two acted to give my team the sought-after offensive presence I desired.

After the creation of the double-dragon core, I felt I needed one more to back it up. After lots of play testing, the sand-sweeper core of Tyranitar paired with Excadrill paired nicely, complimented the hyper-offensive build I wanted, and overall seemed to have good synergy with the dragons.

Tapu Koko's inclusion here was simply to cover rain-teams, as I had trouble with them during play-testing, and was able to be switched out with either Garchomp or Excadrill should I believe rain will be used in play. I looked at Zapdos as an option previously as well but felt it was too weak to the ice moves common on rain teams to be viable.

Ferrothorn here is another blanket cover. This time, to Trick Room teams, that could potentially ruin my hyper offense by switching the speed tiers up. Also tried to use the well-known Amoongus for this role, but could not simply gather any results for the games I used it in.​

The Team

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Garchomp here is my premier set-up sweeper. I needed a fast and powerful attacker to kick off my team and Garchomp has both the speed and power I needed. Usually coming in alongside Salamence, this Garchomp is meant to break past defensive cores and bulky offense with +2 dragon claws and earthquakes. Finally, it is to be swtiched in with Salamence after all of their major threats are dealt with.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 60 Atk / 196 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Double-Edge
- Tailwind
- Protect

Mega Salamence is my partner-in crime with Garchomp, completing the double-dragon core. Again here, Salamence aids Garchomp by targeting and dealing massive damage to late-game threats that Garchomp cannot hit, or assisting with damage on Pokemon chomp cannot OHKO after a boost. Tailwind is included on here as an additonal supporting move to nullify enemy tailwinds, and provide the needed speed boost. Similarly to Garchomp, Salamence is meant to come in after all key threats are neutralized. Additionally and importantly, Salamence here is considered a team crux and there will never be a battle I take this team into without this pokemon, since it provides fantastic offensive pressure, within the core, or on its own.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head

Tyranitar functions within this team as a anti-meta multi-tool. Tyranitar sets up sand for the sand core to operate, and shuts down certain weather play-styles under certain conditions. Tyranitar is my bulky offensive option, meant to deal significant damage to just about every possible threat with its diverse coverage move-set backed by its monstrous attack stat. On top of this, he is able to function on its own and acts as The specially defensive tank with the given EV spread, taking massive hits such as,
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 196 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 42-55 (21 - 27.5%) -- 10.4% chance to 4HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Focus Blast vs. 196 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 128-152 (64 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
This allows Tyranitar, alongside his superb physical bulk, to soak up just about any hit from top-tier threats like the Tapus and Landorus-T and hit back even harder, and is yet another team crux that will be brought into battle 100% of the time.

Excadrill @ Groundium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Excadrill acts as the back-up and quicker offensive power of the offensive sand core. It hits any threats that may pose a danger to both its partner Tyranitar and the dual-dragon core. Thanks to its speed being boosted by the sand set up by Tyranitar, it often is able to pick up early KO's, therefore crippling many opposing support options. And of course, the Groundium Z is used to deal massive damage, if not outright KO'ing, big threats immediately.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost
- Protect

Tapu Koko's role here is relatively easy to explain. It is the teams check to the weather-based rain-teams that the rest of the team struggles against. Using boosted moves paired from the electric surge, STAB, and life orb, it is able to take out the weather-setters of the team with ease. This allows the rest of the team to then sweep and gain benefit from the offensive pressure Tapu Koko provides. In choosing, it would either be switched in place of either Garchomp or Excadrill should a rain-team be obviously played.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

The final pokemon chosen for the team here was needed for one role only. To back up Tyranitar in the case of fighting a Trick Room team. As such, I felt Ferrothorn could be used to ample effect thanks to its abysmal speed, making it the perfect Trick Room counter pokemon. This is thanks to its high natural bulk, the impressive offensive power, good typing, and blisteringly fast speed under Trick Room. This allows it to counteract dedicated Trick Room teams that would otherwise cripple my team, and allow the rest of the pokemon, after Trick Room has been taken down, to do their jobs as intended. And similarly to Tapu Koko, also acts as a rain-team counter, albeit slower. Finally, it would be switched in place of either Garchomp or Excadrill depending on the previewed pokemon.

Conclusion

To conclude this, I'd just like to speak about experiences on Showdown! with the team. This team has gone under lots and lots of close refinement over the course of dozens of play-tested games. This team is relatively easy to get used to and master, thanks to the hyper-offensive playstyle it revolves around. The reason I bring this team to be rated by you all today is to help refine it further to help bring me the best chance to win this state tournament. I am quite confident in the choices of pokemon for the team, but any suggestions on alternatives the last two niche role pokemon, alternatives to very severly outclassed pokemon, coverage moves, or really any sort of help in general on how to improve this team would be greatly appreciated, I look forward to the community's input, thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)