Resource DOU Roles Compendium

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Long overdue update...
  • Added missing Pokemon
  • Removed UR and banned Pokemon
  • Shifted Pokemon based on VR updates
  • Removed Snorlax Checks and Heatran Checks
  • Updated Z-Move Users for current trends
Might also take out Mega Salamence Checks or add Kommo-o Checks or both, so if you have particularly strong opinions there let me know!

I cast thread necromancy!

Under crucial roles, I think it'd be good to add M Gengar and Bulu checks as categories, and remove Mence, due to metagame trends. Also, it'd be nice to add zeraora in this, its a p decent mon and it's likely to see some play. Also, all for adding Kommo-o checks, thing is a threat

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I'm not sure how often this resource is used but it had been about 3.5 months since the last update so I just went through and revamped it. Quick list of changes:
  • Removed banned and UR mons
  • Updated positioning of all other mons and added missing ones
  • Removed Kommo-o checks, moved Mega Metagross checks under Steels
  • Added Tapu Bulu checks
  • Removed Haze/Clear Smog from Utility
  • Added Berry/Item Removal to Utility
If anyone has other ideas for how it can be improved or something you think I've missed or mis-categorized, post away!

talkingtree

large if factual
Added Phazers and removed Strong Ghost/Dark types, thanks! I think of Defog as something used only rarely on very specific teams that include one of two viable Pokemon that are 4x weak to SR, so I don't think it's widely applicable enough to include on the list.

Some outdated stuff:

Kartana is more prevalent than Bulu now. Tapu Bulu Checks should be renamed to Bulu/Kart Checks

Aegislash, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela are no longer prevalent enough to warrant their own subcategories. Subcategories for steel checks are unnecessary.

Strong Priority / Slow Attacker has fire turtle, but no fire camel :( Add Mega Camerupt to Strong Priority / Slow Attacker.

Given Necrozma’s recent success, I believe it should be in the Solid category of Reset Trick Room, but this is not an important distinction so either is fine.

Electroweb Tapu Koko saw decent usage this SPL, and I haven’t seen a Rotom-W in eighteen centuries. Swap Rotom-W and Tapu Koko in the Icy Wind/Electroweb subcategory.

Latias and Togekiss are iffy at best right now. Latias and Togekiss should be moved from the Solid to Shaky category of Tailwind.

Mew has not been on a trick room team in ages. Mew should be moved to the Shaky category of Trick Room.

Again, Togekiss is not very strong right now. Togekiss should be moved to the Shaky section of Redirection Support.

Heatran has become less useful over time and has many commonly used resists. Heatran should be moved to the Shaky section of Trick Room Attackers.

SD Kartana has been proven in SPL to be a big threat. Kartana should be moved to the Solid section of Setup Attackers.

As grassy terrain allows it to eat an earthquake, get trick room up, and fire off weakness-policy boosted STAB attacks, Diancie should be added to the Solid section of Grassy Terrain Beneficiaries.

I don’t have the replays to back this one up, but in my opinion Mew, Mega TTar, and Kommo-O are all Solid Stealth Rock setters.

Wide Guard may not deserve its own sub category any more.

As per several categories above, Rotom-W should be moved to the Shaky section of Ally Switch.

As a solid incin / TR setter nuke, especially when paired with Lele, Pheromosa should be added to All-Out Pummeling.

Latias is not a good Z-Psychic user, Meloetta should be included with Bronzong for Z-Trick Room, and Cresselia makes a good dual-use of Z-Psychic and Z-Trick Room on the same set.

talkingtree

large if factual
Replying to fespy's points in green
A general note before I start: I've made the VR the cutoff for whether a mon should be included in this compendium because otherwise it's difficult to draw a line. However, there are quite a few changes that need to happen to restore that line, so to stop having to say that repeatedly I'm just saying it here.

Some outdated stuff:

Kartana is more prevalent than Bulu now. Tapu Bulu Checks should be renamed to Bulu/Kart Checks agreed

Aegislash, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela are no longer prevalent enough to warrant their own subcategories. Subcategories for steel checks are unnecessary. agreed

Strong Priority / Slow Attacker has fire turtle, but no fire camel :( Add Mega Camerupt to Strong Priority / Slow Attacker. that's an oversight yikes

Given Necrozma’s recent success, I believe it should be in the Solid category of Reset Trick Room, but this is not an important distinction so either is fine. The main reason I didn't move it was because the CM set has been more prevalent, but its value on semiroom teams is enough to move it up

Electroweb Tapu Koko saw decent usage this SPL, and I haven’t seen a Rotom-W in eighteen centuries. Swap Rotom-W and Tapu Koko in the Icy Wind/Electroweb subcategory. Agreed, also see the top note

Latias and Togekiss are iffy at best right now. Latias and Togekiss should be moved from the Solid to Shaky category of Tailwind. see the top note for Lati - as for Togekiss, it might be iffy as a mon but if you're using it, it's a solid provider of Tailwind. I don't want to define solid vs shaky as whether the mon is viable, but whether the mon performs the named role well

Mew has not been on a trick room team in ages. Mew should be moved to the Shaky category of Trick Room. agreed

Again, Togekiss is not very strong right now. Togekiss should be moved to the Shaky section of Redirection Support. see my previous note on Togekiss

Heatran has become less useful over time and has many commonly used resists. Heatran should be moved to the Shaky section of Trick Room Attackers. agreed, but not for the reasons you stated - Heatran is more widely useful now as a faster attacker with HP Ice or Flash Cannon and the Eruptran set is less commonly seen.

SD Kartana has been proven in SPL to be a big threat. Kartana should be moved to the Solid section of Setup Attackers. agreed

As grassy terrain allows it to eat an earthquake, get trick room up, and fire off weakness-policy boosted STAB attacks, Diancie should be added to the Solid section of Grassy Terrain Beneficiaries. I try to keep the "solid" section to seed users or *extremely* strong cases like Deo-A in Psychic Terrain, Nature Power Mega Camerupt, and Heatran, which has no chance at surviving Earthquake without it (or a Shuca Berry). Diancie does a great job in Grassy Terrain, so I'll add it to Shaky, but it's not a case where you should seriously consider adding Tapu Bulu just because Diancie is on your team.

I don’t have the replays to back this one up, but in my opinion Mew, Mega TTar, and Kommo-O are all Solid Stealth Rock setters. Agreed on Mew and Mega Tyranitar, but I think SR Kommo-o is a bit shaky - I'd much rather use Close Combat right now for Chansey/Incineroar or something like Flash Cannon that Human used.

Wide Guard may not deserve its own sub category any more. yep, this is outdated

As per several categories above, Rotom-W should be moved to the Shaky section of Ally Switch. see the top note

As a solid incin / TR setter nuke, especially when paired with Lele, Pheromosa should be added to All-Out Pummeling. see the top note - adding this now since it recently rose to the VR

Latias is not a good Z-Psychic user, Meloetta should be included with Bronzong for Z-Trick Room, and Cresselia makes a good dual-use of Z-Psychic and Z-Trick Room on the same set. see the top note for the first two, and I personally haven't seen Psychium Cress at all, so I'd like to wait until it sees some use before adding.
Updated everything according to these points and the VR shifts!

Just some things that I found worth mentioning:

1. Salamence is a shaky setup attacker? I'm kinda confused on that.
2. For utility, I don't think it's a bad idea to put subcategories for Snarl or anything similar as Intimidate is not the only common way of reducing stats of opposing mons. A list for Defog users aren't a bad idea either since Zard teams seem to do really well on the competitive scenes.

Snarl:
  • Solid- Zeraora, Suicune, Manectric-M
  • Shaky- Mew, Tapu Bulu, Incineroar, Scrafty
Misc:
  • Persian-A (Parting Shot), Amoonguss (Clear Smog), Fini (Haze?)
Defog:
  • Solid- Mew, Landorus-T, Tapu Koko, Tapu Fini, Kartana

I can't give a definite list as I don't think I'm experienced enough for this meta, but again, I just found these few things worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)