Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Meteor Beam
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Nihilego posseses numerous qualities that make it one of the premier special attackers in the Doubles OU metagame, including good offensive stats, great coverage, high Special Defense, and access to Meteor Beam. It boasts positive matchups against metagame staples such as Incineroar, Tapu Fini, and Kyurem-B, as they are easy avenues to fire off Meteor Beam. The combination of Meteor Beam and Beast Boost allow it to quickly stack Special Attack boosts and potentially start to sweep. Its Speed tier is also extremely helpful, putting it above the crowded base 100 Speed group, namely getting the jump on Galarian Zapdos, Mew, and Assault Vest Genesect. However, Zygarde and Metagross wall Nihilego out entirely, and Kartana also puts immense pressure on it, as it can attack before Nihilego has a chance to move. As such, good partners to consider would be Landorus-T, Genesect, and Galarian Zapdos, since they can help deal with these threats.

Last edited:

Idyll

my favorite poem was the one i read to youuuuuuuuu
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
qc

that's already 1100 characters long lol, if anything you should make it shorter
  • It's misrepresentative to say that Nihilego's potency is "further backed" by Meteor Beam simply because Meteor Beam is the reason why it has any potency in the first place; no other pure offensive variant exists aside from this one, as proof of this.
  • In your third sentence, you should definitely cut that bit to be more concise and less character-heavy, though the core idea presented is very good.
  • Its Speed is really good, yes, but the Pokemon you mentioned as threats Nihilego gets the jump on are not that great examples; Zapdos is often bulky outside of rain (and rain is uncommon enough to not mention), and Volcarona is pretty much unused. Gapdos is ok. Should mention Mew instead as well as AV Gene.
  • The last two sentences are a bit complicated to look at; while it's true that Nihilego's typing does lend itself to problems against Grounds and Steels, in truth the only threats that actually take its coverage comfortably are Zygarde and Metagross; for Steels, Celes and Gene don't resist and Kartana melts, while for Grounds Lando-T and Lando-I don't resist and actually get destroyed. What I mean to say is, it doesn't really get stopped by Grounds or Steels necessarily, but only by select ones. Another is thing is mentioning "specially defensive pokemon" as threats; looking at threats with this perspective isn't really a DOU way of doing it much, Pokemon in DOU tend to scale from "average bulk" to "fat" without notable distinction from physical and special; you also didn't really give much in terms of examples for threats of this classification, and the statement does end up being vague.
    • A better way of outlining teammates Nihilego is specifically mentioning counters for Kartana and Zygarde, because these are the two relevant things that will make problems for Nihilego. Better if they also beat Metagross.

Last edited:

Idyll

my favorite poem was the one i read to youuuuuuuuu
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Much improved. Just some last points before we pass it off to GP.
  • "equally great stats" is vague, though I get what you're trying to say here; you can talk about them in further detail since you have characters to spare now, mentioning great offensive stats and the high special bulk explicitly; this would make the list too long so the prose would need some reworking, but the high spdef is a notable feature of Nihilego for not letting it get easily revenged so it warrants such a change.
  • You should probably also use a word that's a level below "incredible" for describing its coverage, as while it it is good it's not something really good like Ice/Ground or Ice/Elec
  • You already did this well the first time, but the point where you mention exploitable match-ups flows better with the point with Meteor Beam.
  • While the last sentence is intuitive enough, it's also probably better to explicitly spell out that they're good partners because they check the threats you mentioned. Should also probably have a better example than Kyu-B as it can actually lose all three match-ups, context-depending; Lando-T is a better one there.
1/1 upon implementing. i trust you can do this bro, good job

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove
Nihilego @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Meteor Beam
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Nihilego possesess numerous qualities that make it one of the premier special attackers in the Doubles OU metagame, including good offensive stats, great coverage, high Special Defense, and access to Meteor Beam. It boasts positive matchups against metagame staples such as Incineroar, Tapu Fini, and Kyurem-Black Kyurem-B, (AC) as they are easy avenues to fire off Meteor Beam. The combination of Meteor Beam and Beast Boost allows it to quickly stack Special Attack boosts and potentially start to sweep. Its Speed tier is also extremely helpful, putting it above the crowded base 100 Speed group, namely getting the jump on Galarian Zapdos, Mew, and Assault Vest Genesect. However, Zygarde and Metagross wall Nihilego out entirely, and Kartana also puts immense pressure on it, (AC) as it can attack before Nihilego has a chance to move. As such, good partners to consider would be Landorus-T, Genesect, and Galarian Zapdos, since they can help deal with these threats.
1/1 :blobthumbsup:
Estronic-GP-small.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)