Dogs

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My dog is around me all day when I'm sick, my dog stays with me when I'm studying, she's there when I'm sad and is playful just so I don't feel too sad. They don't even need to talk or help you with your stuff to make you feel loved.

"Dogs are too easy" or people are just hard and nothing is never enough to them? Of course I do have friends irl and all, but there's no purest love than an animal towards its owner. And the feeling of superiority of humans is something that I really despise ngl.

If helping you with your homework is what love is to you, then I don't know what to tell you

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
My dog is around me all day when I'm sick, my dog stays with me when I'm studying, she's there when I'm sad and is playful just so I don't feel too sad. They don't even need to talk or help you with your stuff to make you feel loved.

"Dogs are too easy" or people are just hard and nothing is never enough to them? Of course I do have friends irl and all, but there's no purest love than an animal towards its owner. And the feeling of superiority of humans is something that I really despise ngl.

If helping you with your homework is what love is to you, then I don't know what to tell you
It makes you feel better, but it doesn't help you to solve the actual problem. You need a human to solve that.
You want to feel better, a plush toy could have done that.

In other words, being nice to a dog isn't really that reciprocal.

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It makes you feel better, but it doesn't help you to solve the actual problem. You need a human to solve that.
You want to feel better, a plush toy could have done that.

In other words, being nice to a dog isn't really that reciprocal.
No. A plush toy doesn't make me feel better. My dog is there because she knows I need it. And I was there every time she was ill and she was thankful every time.

My friends are also there, but because I have a very few select number of friends that I actually feel really close to. The rest? Probably will let you down when you need it the most. The human creates hate, betrays others and feels superior to everyone.

Look at all those terrible owners. They hit their dog, they abandon their dog, whatever. But the dog still feels love.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If you consider all relationships transactional and seek to optimize what you personally gain from them, and don't place much merit on emotional gains, then yeah dogs are pretty useless as pets unless you live on a farm.

On the other hand - doggy!!

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
This is definitely not discrimination. You can't hold a conversation to your dog, for starters.
Moreover, it's so easy to please a dog. You just feed it, own it, and almost every dog would perform all the "great stuff" people speak of.

In Asia, it is firmly believed that people attached to a dog must have some social problems with humans.
It probably isn't accurate though, but you see, how exactly do you "offend" your dog?
As long as you don't abuse your dog, you won't "offend" your dog.

Your relationship with a dog will definitely not be as complicated as humans. Dogs are just too easy. You own a dog, the dog almost certainly loves you, and your dog doesn't choose or prefer someone else.

Being capable of pleasing a dog is very different from being capable of pleasing humans.

Moreover, I just can't picture a dog helping you with your work/ studies/ homework, etc.
In the end, you need to attach yourself to other humans.
You need human friends to help you when you need to do your homework/ projects/ refurbishing your house, etc.
The amount of help a dog can give is far more limited than what a human can give.
Thing is you missed the entire point of my post, it is a philosophical stance that assumes all life is equal and deserves the right respect. Yes, life isn't fair (I am not saying we should all go vegan as that doesn't happen in nature as well) but that doesn't mean it can't be a source of support outside.

I honestly can't see where you are coming from, I have the mentality that value is decided by the individual not by anything else. In other words, the value you put into something is something you alone decide not another person, not a community, not humanity as a whole. My view is that life other then human especially dogs, cats, etc have a different value one that humanity can't replicate, they aren't bound by social constraints, by rational constraints, by our own self-awareness, they don't judge you at all on any level but seek attention and return it. It seems like your point of view is one dyed heavily by the culture you were born into so I highly doubt this argument will go anywhere but in circles as it is ultimately a existential argument. It seems like you are very firmly set with the belief that factual value is superior to anything else which in my opinion trivializes the relationship you have with anything and is far to materialistic.

To me, my dogs and cats are true family, I love them, I get angry at them, they get irritated at me, we play, interact, and to me these "trivial" relationships are equally important to my interactions with another human.

Cresselia~~

Thing is you missed the entire point of my post, it is a philosophical stance that assumes all life is equal and deserves the right respect. Yes, life isn't fair (I am not saying we should all go vegan as that doesn't happen in nature as well) but that doesn't mean it can't be a source of support outside.

I honestly can't see where you are coming from, I have the mentality that value is decided by the individual not by anything else. In other words, the value you put into something is something you alone decide not another person, not a community, not humanity as a whole. My view is that life other then human especially dogs, cats, etc have a different value one that humanity can't replicate, they aren't bound by social constraints, by rational constraints, by our own self-awareness, they don't judge you at all on any level but seek attention and return it. It seems like your point of view is one dyed heavily by the culture you were born into so I highly doubt this argument will go anywhere but in circles as it is ultimately a existential argument. It seems like you are very firmly set with the belief that factual value is superior to anything else which in my opinion trivializes the relationship you have with anything and is far to materialistic.

To me, my dogs and cats are true family, I love them, I get angry at them, they get irritated at me, we play, interact, and to me these "trivial" relationships are equally important to my interactions with another human.
I don't get where this "superiority" business is coming from. I believe all lives are equal, and I do participate in many campaigns to fight animal equality.
I only know that I don't like being labelled as morally inferior just because I believe that dogs don't really help humans as a pet.
Saying that having a relationship with a dog is different from a human should not have anything to do with superiority/ discrimination.
Just because I don't find dogs useful, you don't have to label me as morally inferior.

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
I don't get where this "superiority" business is coming from. I believe all lives are equal, and I do participate in many campaigns to fight animal equality.
I only know that I don't like being labelled as morally inferior just because I believe that dogs don't really help humans as a pet.
Saying that having a relationship with a dog is different from a human should not have anything to do with superiority/ discrimination.
Just because I don't find dogs useful, you don't have to label me as morally inferior.
Except that you're misreading what he said completely? most people that are not fond of animals believe that they're completely inferior to us and that we're superior race. I particularly don't share your stance because you look for profit in all beings and not just animals. "Useful" is not the word you use to describe a person, so if dogs are equally important to humans, why are you saying it? Unless someone who can't help you with your math homework is useless too, which would be kinda worrying
Anyway you ask questions and we answer. This is your opinion and our opinion. Not you vs us.

Cresselia~~

Except that you're misreading what he said completely? most people that are not fond of animals believe that they're completely inferior to us and that we're superior race. I particularly don't share your stance because u look for profit in all beings and not just animals. "Useful" is not the word you use to describe a person, so if dogs are equally important to humans, why are you saying it? Unless someone who can't help you with your math homework is useless too, which would be kinda worrying
Anyway you ask questions and we answer. This is your opinion and our opinion. Not you vs us.
No, it's just people are saying that keeping dogs as pets is good, and that they find their dogs helpful.
That was what I want to learn from.

So basically, now I know that dogs help their owners to feel better. That's something new I learnt.

I'm not one who find animals inferior to humans, don't get me wrong. I'm actually quite active in animal rights. But right now someone definitely is labelling me morally inferior. That's why I'm getting upset. He's turning to the focus of why I find human relationships "better" than dog relationships.
This is also not what I originally want to discuss.

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
No, it's just people are saying that keeping dogs as pets is good, and that they find their dogs helpful.
That was what I want to learn from.

So basically, now I know that dogs help their owners to feel better. That's something new I learnt.

I'm not one who find animals inferior to humans, don't get me wrong. I'm actually quite active in animal rights. But right now someone definitely is labelling me morally inferior. That's why I'm getting upset. He's turning to the focus of why I find human relationships "better" than dog relationships.
This is also not what I originally want to discuss.
By the way, I am not trying to insult you, just arguing, and the way you wrote your original comment made me think you were coming into this with a specific agenda so if I read into it too much and if I made you feel bad, I am honestly sorry as that was not my intention. I just get highly passionate when it comes to something so closely tied to my heart and it is something I have thought of a innumerable number times as I am a highly philosophical person by nature. So please don't take offense to anything I say. :)

I like my puppy for her personality and the friendship she gives. There's this happiness I get as I help her learn (YES, CATS HURT YOU DON'T PESTER THEM! That kind of thing.) and I love watching her progress. I like to train her, some day I'd love to go into Agility (a dog sport!) with Daisy. And yeah, I do enjoy seeing her be cute. I just like having this friend who is there when I want to play with something non-human. She's still only about 5 months and yet I understand her so well. She gets her tennis ball stuck under a chair/shelf/whatever and she'll sit or lay down there waiting for someone to help.

I wouldn't be more attached to her than a boyfriend though. I love my puppy but if it became between her and a human, I'd have to chose the human. People who don't train their dogs whatsoever and treat them like spoiled children are bad owners. My neighbor's delightful lab mix, one of the best trained dogs I've met, got attacked by someone's dog when taking a walk. Why? They had a large, hunting breed on the wrong type of leash. If you love your dog you are going to do the things to keep it under control but happy.

I went kinda off-topic about that, sorry. But my puppy calms me down by just doing what she does, being a friend.

Also it has been a while so here's a more recent photo of her playing with a frisbee.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I do think what you are doing if a big step in the right direction cress for yourself and the culture you grew up in. There are still many cultures that view animals differently. For example, people are increasingly seeing pigs as great pets while the view by many others are set to seeing them only being only good for food purposes. I think I'm getting where you come from and you really are trying to understand something the comes so naturally to us dog lovers. People don't like change which is why old ideals towards pets will stick around in different parts of the world.

Take into account that pets being used solely for companionship is a fairly new concept when you look into our history with pets. This is more apparent in cats where there are a huge increase in breeds to accommodate the different looks people like (some better than others mind you. Munchkins are awful.) as opposed to the "normal" house cat which are perfectly capable of doing their task of catching rodents just the way they are. It is going to take a while to change the way people view dogs but animal activists do help to speed up the process.

Cresselia~~

A recent poll on facebook shows that 18k Hongkongers voted against dog meat festival, whilst 2.3k voted not against dog meat festival.
However, the people against dog meat festival failed to provide any scientific arguments, and their main "argument" remains to be "dog is man's best friend".
People who clicked not against are not necessarily pro dog meat though. Many of them believe that although they personally won't eat dog, no one should force their own opinions onto the others.

Last edited:
How about dogs can be service animals that help the disabled, or be emotional support. That's a good reason.

I don't think it's disgusting to eat dog meat (Different cultures different food. I imagine some in India dislike how we eat beef, but I have no source so...) but I don't know if it's the best idea to bring the topic here.

Cresselia~~

How about dogs can be service animals that help the disabled, or be emotional support. That's a good reason.

I don't think it's disgusting to eat dog meat (Different cultures different food. I imagine some in India dislike how we eat beef, but I have no source so...) but I don't know if it's the best idea to bring the topic here.
A large portion of old people from Taiwan and Thailand do not eat cows because cows are traditionally used to plough fields, especially rice fields.
Cows used to be a very important farm animal.
This probably is also why cows are holy in India, though I'm not sure.

I personally believe that any animal could be useful to humans if they are given a chance.

Moreover, recent popularity of keeping hens and pigs shown that pigs can provide emotional support too. They were just not given a chance.

Further more, recent studies also show that sheep and goats are good for mowing lawns.
Wethered sheep can also become very good pets that provide emotional support.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'll miss pork when society inevitably becomes uncomfortable with eating it. That's not gonna happen with beef or poultry, though.

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
I have always wanted a dog, but I've always had cats growing up. I think German Shepherds are adorable, and I wanted to get a whole litter of them some day. I think dogs are cool pets, I've been around them my whole life, but never owned one. I think Jack Russell dogs are adorable as well, as my cousin owns a few and I get to play with them a lot.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Oof so you are in love with the spazzy dogs huh? Not the greatest choices for a first dog but they are fun. I like spazzy dogs too although they do need a ton of patience and training otherwise they would drive you crazy. Good luck though. Owning a dog is such a rewarding experience so I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you get your first dog.

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Oof so you are in love with the spazzy dogs huh? Not the greatest choices for a first dog but they are fun. I like spazzy dogs too although they do need a ton of patience and training otherwise they would drive you crazy. Good luck though. Owning a dog is such a rewarding experience so I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you get your first dog.
I've been around Jack Russell dogs my whole life, so I think I can handle the responsibility if I decide to get one! Thank you though!

My dog tessie is a cairn terrier (think Toto on wizard of oz) and we have had her for over a decade now. She is 11 but she is as crazy as always she hasnt slowed down a bit. She thinks she is the queen bitch and attacks dogs ten times her size.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Own a yorkie, Joey, also 11. While his mouth is starting to break down on him (rubber lower jaw, kind of runs in his family, missing some teeth), he's still generally a fidgety bastard seemingly in a six-year-old's body, which is why I simply call him (and he responds to) Rat.

Fun forum-related factoid: he HATES Darumaka's cry and will usually start growling at nothing in particular when he hears it.
Fun non-forum-related factoids:He also hates children and the color yellow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)