ORAS OU Do The Honorable Thing... Fall on a Sword

Hi this is my first time posting a team to rate. I APPRECIATE all the responses! I wanted to start a team with my favorite Pokémon, Gyrados. After multiple adjustments, this is the team I ended up with.

Introduction

The Gang. Overall, the objective of my team is to set up a physical sweeper in any way. I do this by utilizing type advantages and forcing opponents to make switches which in trun allow me to set my Pokémon up. I take advantage of switches by setting up my Sword dancers or dragon dancer. The next objective is to keep Redbone, aka Gyrados healthy and safely set up his dance. However, I also have the capability for my other Pokémon who have the bulk and high attack to become a sweeper. so I have at least 3 that are capable of late game sweeps.

Teambuilding Process

My main man and wall breaker/physical sweeper *

* Start of Volt/Turn, great synergy and bulky offense for Gyrados*

*second part of volt/turn great typing and needed a special scarf attacker. *

*needed a fast special defogger to protect Gyrados from entry hazards*

*Perfect revenge killer, great typing and I needed a
Dragon/ fairy counter. *

**Baton pass compliments my team, and needed a Pokémon to heal burns which could make my team highly ineffective. Is a good check for water types**

The Team

Redbone (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drgon Dance
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
I chose gyrados because he is my favorite Pokémon and his raw overall power in the OU game. I love taking advantage of his intimidate ability before his mega evolution with Lando in order to knock down Pokémon that can potentially be a problem such as conckledurr, DD chomp, and DD dragonite into non-factors. Gyrados has a nice intimidate turn synergy with my Lando due to their complimentary typings, stone edges and thunder bolts do not touch my Gyrados. His Mega evolution timing is important especially when you can correctly predict a stone edge. Crunch helps me with my gengar and alakazam coverage and once I added Azumaril, Waterfall was no longer really necessary.

Lando-Cal (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
I chose Lando as a part of my original volt-turn synergy he had with magnezone. I made Lando extremely bulky with the Rocky helmet as my best option for switch ins on physical attacks I can predict. His 145 base attack is great anyways. His intimidate is the icing on the cake, making the physical attacks light on this juggernaut. I switched stealth rock with swords dance to add the surprise factor. Since he is so bulky, it makes physical Pokémon who try and chip away at Lando's health pay, as I set up my swords... the Swords dance charged U-Turm add more punch against a bulky/ status affect pokemon like Tangrowth Rotom-W who used to give my team problems. *

30 CLIP (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
Magnezone has grown on me due to his importance on my team. He has become the glue to the Gang. He covers a lot of my team's weaknesses with his amazing magnet pull (think scizor, bisharps). He's an effective fairy killer, and His versital move pool and ability to capitalize on careless switch-ins make him with flash cannon and T-bolt stabs. I often use him as my lead because of his scarf with jolly nature and the V-switch access. He's also a great switch in and his hidden power fire is great for surprising a grass or bug type.

JETS (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Healing Wish
- Defog
Latias is my utility/defogger. Latias's speed and great bulk make her my favorite for a safe switch in since she can take the punches. Added the hp EVs to add longevity to her often short and fast life. Originally I had psyshock for my keledo and venasaur checks, but Zapdos was wrecking my team so I needed a counter. Ice beam gives me venasaur coverage, and can surprise a taunting Mandibuz or zapdos. Adding the HP EVs alows me take damage and use a life orbed draco meteor without compromising too much health. Healing wish allows me to be reckless and do some damage early with my Gyrados, essentially giving him an extra life. *

Red's Pikachu (Azumarill) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
*My favorite revenge Killing adorable little Azumarill. Plus my dragon, steel type, and fairy checker, especially to a Flamethrowing/fireblasting Clefable. Max investments in attack and health give Ash's pikachu (he's shiny) power and some longevity. As a revenge killer. I added a variety of coverage moves to predict switch ins. I chose super power over waterfall so I could OHKO or 2HKO ferrothorn. Im still conflicted between a life orb and choice band on Azu because of the choice lock that can force me to switch into predictable moves. Knock off for my psychic and ghost checks make it a necessity. Azumarill also really appreciates a SD baton pass from Celebi.

T-Bell (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Baton Pass
- Heal bell
*I had the most trouble filling this last slot in, but as a Cleric and Baton Passer, Celebi has become an essential burn healer, and point guard in the sense it's main job is to set up its teammates. Bulk is important so it is able to get off a heal bell or baton pass to another Pokémon. Celebi is a great switch in for Defensive Pokémon due to its baton pass and ability to take status moves with ease due to natural cure. I've tinkered with a nasty plot/giga drain moveset, but the swords can be passed to more options on my team and has worked better. **

Conclusion

*Overall this is my most proven, fun, and interesting team. It's not perfect. Strong fast electrics such as mega evolved Manetric, raikou assault vest, and Zapdos have all given my team fits as well as a dragon that is able to set up. However, this team I have found out has many strategies and is adept to adjusting on the fly. However, a wrong switch can compromise this team's rhythm and if I'm not careful, can be put in a hole early that is hard to make up for. Thank you for the time, I look forward to the critique! Also let me know if you have some other options for my Celebi, and what set you think I should run on Azumarill and Lando-T thank you *

Redbone (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drgon Dance
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Lando-Cal (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

30 CLIP (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

JETS (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Red's Pikachu (Azumarill) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

T-Bell (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Baton Pass
- U-turn

Last edited:
Hey, nice team you have here. I notice your team struggled with Mega Venusaur. Yes, you do have a Latias which can help wall Mega Venusaur, but your Latios cannot touch Venusaur-Mega due to it's thick fat ability which makes Ice Beam very weak. With Latias being walled, your entire team loses to Mega Venusaur 1 on 1. Tornadus-therian can also be problematic with it's ability to outspeed everything on your team. I have a few suggestions that can help improve your team.

My first suggestion is for you to run Psyshock over Ice Beam on Latias. This allows you to have a way to kill Mega Venusaur which otherwise could be problematic. Losing Ice Beam does mean you cant some ground type like Gliscor. However, you shouldn't worry about that as you have other members like Azumarill and Gyrados-Mega who can help with Ground types.

->
My next suggestion would be to run Scarf Magneton over Scarf Magnezone. Magneton will be outspeed threats like Weavile and Tornadus-therian (something Magnezone could not do) while also being able to do the role of trapping steel types like Scizor and Ferrothorn. With more speed, this means you have a better revenge killer and better speed control for your team.

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Thanks for replying! I appreciate it. I've messed with the psyshock before and it worked for me. I'm going to try it again and see how it goes. I'll also magneton as well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)