Dhelmise Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Dhelmise
Ghost/Grass
Abilities: Steelworker / Steelworker / Steelworker
HP: 70
Atk: 131
Def: 100
SpAtk: 86
SpDef: 90
Spe: 40

Level Up

L1 - Switcheroo
L1 - Absorb
L1 - Growth
L1 - Rapid Spin
L1 - Astonish
L5 - Mega Drain
L9 - Wrap
L14 - Gyro Ball
L18 - Metal Sound
L23 - Giga Drain
L27 - Whirlpool
L32 - Anchor Shot
L36 - Shadow Ball
L41 - Energy Ball
L45 - Slam
L50 - Heavy Slam
L54 - Phantom Force
L59 - Power Whip

TMs

TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM34 - Sludge Wave
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - Round
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM59 - Brutal Swing
TM63 - Embargo
TM65 - Shadow Claw
TM66 - Payback
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM74 - Gyro Ball
TM75 - Swords Dance
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon
TM94 - Surf
TM100 - Confide

New Ability
Steelworker: Powers up Steel-type moves.

New Move

Anchor Shot: The user entangles the target with its anchor chain while attacking. The target becomes unable to flee. 100% accuracy [Steel] 80 BP, Physical.

Last edited:
131 base Attack with a switch-restricting move, Phantom force, and Power Whip is pretty nifty. It's very slow (just like most other normal mons this gen...), but it has enough bulk to make it work. Gengar and Talonflame being given to the firing squad also works towards Dhelmise's favor, as people will be needing another offensive OU Ghost and there is less to kill it... I think it will come down to how this thing matches up against Decidueye. My initial impression says the owl has the edge, but I'm not sure.

If Aegislash is unbanned or Chandelure becomes popular, both are finished.

>Ability and signature move are Steel-based

Why is this Pokemon a Grass-type.
Not just that. It's a gorran ANCHOR. The ghost-typing was assumed and a lotta people are correct on it... but we were guessing Water/Ghost, Steel/Ghost, or Water/Steel. What the actual hell Gamefreak?

AND THEN they gave it a Steel version of Shadow Shackle! The Signature move of the OTHER new Grass/Ghost-type. Seriously. What the actual hell?

And at least they gave it decent physical Grass Moves. It gets Shadow Claw for a physical Ghost-move...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Probably one of the sleepers so far. It's very unique in being a Ghost-type Spinner. It's got good enough stats to where nothing but MSab can viably spinblock it and its effectively got 3 STABs to choose from. It's movepool is pretty lacking as far as support moves outside of Rapid Spin, but its attacking options are nothing short of excellent between Earthquake, Power Whip, Shadow Claw, Anchor Shot, and Rock Slide. It's also got Swords Dance access, which might be relevant if it falls to a lower tier.

131 base Attack with a switch-restricting move, Phantom force, and Power Whip is pretty nifty. It's very slow (just like most other normal mons this gen...), but it has enough bulk to make it work. Gengar and Talonflame being given to the firing squad also works towards Dhelmise's favor, as people will be needing another offensive OU Ghost and there is less to kill it... I think it will come down to how this thing matches up against Decidueye. My initial impression says the owl has the edge, but I'm not sure.

If Aegislash is unbanned or Chandelure becomes popular, both are finished.

Its basically a upgraded trevenant. This thing screams for a CB set and is very powerful. Power Whip is more powerful than a Terakions Close Combat. It also gets Earthquake for steel types and very few pokemon will want to switchin besides skarmory but shadow claw or phantom will still take a nice chunk away. It is also vulnerable to being pursuit trapped but Tyrannitar doesnt want to switch in.

So it essentially has 3 stabs, and strong moves to make use out of all of them, wow. Decent bulk and interesting typing with Rapid Spin, I could see it getting some use for that considering it has great offense to be more than just dead weight (heh) after spinning rocks.

The more I learn about this thing, the more it confuses and intrigues the he'll out of me.
Conversely, the more i look at it, the more irrationally angry i get at it. It's like an Incorrect Elevator, just wrong on so many levels. I am going to be really annoyed if this is actually good.

In the sense of not making a post just about how much I dislike this thing:

Gyro Ball would definitely keep Faster Pokemon like Weavile at bay, but Anchor Shot would likely be the Steel-Type attack of choice. Phantom Force could mean Weavile gets a way in without eating a Gyro Ball, so Shadow Claw may be preferable. It has a lot of Power behind it, that's for sure...

Still dislike it immensely because of how little sense it makes.

The pokédex states the actual Pokémon is possessed seaweed that is carrying an anchor as a weapon. That is why it is Ghost/Grass and has a Steel-boosting ability. I would have preferred Ghost/Water but I guess this generation already has enough Water types (Toxapex, Primarina, Tapu Fini, Wishiwashi, Golisopod, Bruxish).

It only frustrates me that it has the same typing as my fav starter and the same signature move (just Steel instead of Grass). Both even have a hazard-removing attack. I could see this as a bulky spinner with Anchor Shot, Shadow Claw, Power Whip and Rapid Spin.

What's the viability of this thing as a Spinner?

Does good versus Drill, decent versus Skarm, bad against Clef, and just loses to Tran (unless you pack EQ).

The pokédex states the actual Pokémon is possessed seaweed that is carrying an anchor as a weapon. That is why it is Ghost/Grass and has a Steel-boosting ability. I would have preferred Ghost/Water but I guess this generation already has enough Water types (Toxapex, Primarina, Tapu Fini, Wishiwashi, Golisopod, Bruxish).

It only frustrates me that it has the same typing as my fav starter and the same signature move (just Steel instead of Grass). Both even have a hazard-removing attack. I could see this as a bulky spinner with Anchor Shot, Shadow Claw, Power Whip and Rapid Spin.
You forgot the Water Spider Araquanid. (Yeah I know it's inferior to Toxapex in every way so I don't really know why they gave it this stats spread :( )

And yes the similarities with Decidueye makes me quite sad.

What's the viability of this thing as a Spinner?

Does good versus Drill, decent versus Skarm, bad against Clef, and just loses to Tran (unless you pack EQ).
It can spin away hazards and block rapid spin at the same time. Should beat out Clef if the Unaware nerf is true going off the new description for it. Fairly solid defenses with great attack. It has a lot of weaknesses which will be a problem but also has resits to some common types for the switch in like water and ground. It's slow but I think it's going to make a good spinner.

A spinner that spinblock. That alone is quite neat.

It also feels like an anti-Ferrothorn (considering Dhelmise has Steel pseudo-STAB) as it's an almost polar opposite, with high Attack and merely fine defenses, focused on keeping hazards on the opposing side and clearing those in its own side rather than setting them up.

man i've been really digging this mon, and atm it's criminally overlooked (i would assume because of deci). being able to operate as hazard control (without baiting in darks) and a reasonably strong check to a good amount of new and old threats should be more than enough to bump it into OU. seems like something along the lines of spin | ghost STAB | giga | anchor shot would end up being the flagship set; and it has nice synergy with alo / whichever blob ends up being useful / clef if wish support is desired. i can also see this thing working well on the now-lost rain BO (*cough* ajwf *cough*), but hey that's neither here nor there. all-in-all, a great mon, and I have the highest hopes this lil guy will see OU eventually n_n

man i've been really digging this mon, and atm it's criminally overlooked (i would assume because of deci). being able to operate as hazard control (without baiting in darks) and a reasonably strong check to a good amount of new and old threats should be more than enough to bump it into OU. seems like something along the lines of spin | ghost STAB | giga | anchor shot would end up being the flagship set; and it has nice synergy with alo / whichever blob ends up being useful / clef if wish support is desired. i can also see this thing working well on the now-lost rain BO (*cough* ajwf *cough*), but hey that's neither here nor there. all-in-all, a great mon, and I have the highest hopes this lil guy will see OU eventually n_n
Giga Drain? Why would it want to run that? It should be using Power Whip.

Giga Drain? Why would it want to run that? It should be using Power Whip.
mostly bc the whip does the same thing anchor and giga already achieve, but now you can't heal off potential rockers / switch-ins / waters (also, whenever bank goes up again, there'd be the problem of procing helm / skin from lando n chomp). you 2hko ttar with a defensive set regardless of the move choice; the only mon that'll be an issue is cune, but hey the mon that doesn't want to get burned shouldn't be checking cune in the first place.

What is the likelyhood you clould use him as a Stall Trapper? Get an Anchor Shot on a switch in, Toxic, then rotate between Protect and Phantom Force to stall turns. As long as they cant set up on you, Swords Dance/Nasty Plot, than you could widdle someone away while they are stuck.

Between this thing and Tsareena, Gen 7 is the age of the Grass-Type Spinners, and alongside Decidueye also the Grass-Type spinblockers (Trevenant and Gourgeist welcome you). Seriously, they are trying to Grass-Types even more utility now, expanding on the Gen 6 powder-proofing, which is great!

As for Delmise in particular, it has Base 131 Attack, SD, and STAB Shadow Sneak, so that's a big "YES". Priority may have gotten some nerfing, but it's still good to have. Anchor Shot with its psuedo-STAB is rather nice, too. I honestly really like this thing, though I am confused as to why so many Mons without arms are getting Brick Break now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)