SM OU DD LandoSwine HO, Peaked 1700s

heya.
i wouldn't consider myself a very good builder, or player,
and a few of the good choices on this team are freak accidents, but...
i've peaked higher than i ever have before w/ this team,
and it's the most fun i've had in pokemon since xy,
so i gotta show it off. right?

proofs f peaks
here's me

and here's my peak
cool.

buildin' a process
ayy, I don't remember how to make a dropdown, okay? bear with me.

the idea starting off was to build around lando, but in a way that was a heavy hitting wincon,
instead of the super glue physdef lando you see every day. double dance is the way to do that,
with z-fly over z-rock, just to be different.

using z-fly over z-rock gets me better damage vs grasses, but leaves lando at a loss vs any flying/levitate
mons that resist flying. mag is added to trap and bring down lando's greatest fears, skarm/celesteela,
and any other steel that doesn't die to earthquake you care to name.

this one's an odd-lookin choice. with plenty of steels taken care of, there remain a good few airborne
mons lando doesn't like, and a strong ice stab will take care of most of them. i chose mamo over weav or kyurem for the combo of natural bulk, resistance to boltbeam, priority, and the offensive typing
forming ground-spam with lando, chipping other mons he needs weakened.

with the main 3 teamsmashers settled, i need a rocker. first i tried a bulky offense approach so boring
i'm not listing it here, until realising i wanted a suicide lead. azelf best suits the needs here. fast rocks,
fast anti-rocks, and explosion gives a huge amount of momentum early on, and loads of pressure
for anyone looking for a defog.

I can't find a Volcanion icon, so volcarona will have to do. This is a Volcanion.
alrighty, at this point the team doesn't have much for defensive backbone. Water brings some very useful resistances to switch into. the other mons considered were azumarill/primarina, but i chose volc
for it's ability to not be easily forced out by grass-types. oh, i think it can beat ash ninja, too.

i dont remember why i wanted a bird. i know it had something to do with dealing with grass mons
better, and flying type means it might be able to pivot into a resisted hit and fire off a boid move,
and i absolutely needed a scarfer, or else i still get 6-0'd by greninja, among other speedy nukemons.
but even with that in mind, scarfed raptor was a totally knee jerk decision. and it worked! the end!

how 'bout this team?

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Skill Swap

suicide lead. sets up rocks and goes boom. likes it when defoggers switch in on the boom.
doesn't like it when ghosts switch into the boom. likes it when slower rockers try to set up rocks.
also likes winning 50/50s vs glue lando. doesn't like greninja, greninja gets a flinch every time.
maybe don't lead with it vs greninja, koko, ttar, etc.

also, name him kenny, and spew south park at your opponent if he dies without going boom //s

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 128 HP / 16 Atk / 196 Def / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Fly
- Earthquake

the main man. i lied in the building process, z-fly isn't just to be different. nearly anything non-airborne that z-rock hits, z-fly can hit more effectively, especially vs the moron tangrowths that like to
switch in, and really lets his mates go to work weakening what he needs for a successful sweep.

smog analysis's bulky spread because i'm too lazy to do one myself, and it really helps bluff standard
glue lando, leading to some switchins that don't expect a setup, and does help in cases where he
doesn't force a switch during setup time.

one problem i've noticed with this team comp is that sometimes it may be worth while to sack a
valuable teammate to something lando beats, just so there's a mon alive on the other team that's safe to set up on. your call!

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

not much to write here. some matches he's a wincon, others he's fodder. in the matchups where he
has a point to life, he can force a surprising amount of switches, and usually dent something with
flash cannon.

timid over modest and 176 speed to outrun standard defog fini, which still dies to tbolt
after rocks, or boom. as a bonus, also outspeeds glue lando, which gets cleanly 2hko'd if it switches
into a flash cannon predicting tbolt. unless it's offensive, in which case, bravn boidn party time.

oh, kills skarmory and celesteela.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off

this is the most slept on mon in the tier. this guy is so slept on it's crazy. so slept on people don't give
it a 2nd glance at team preview, until it's staring a landorus down with death in it's eyes, and they
realise there's not a switchin in the world that can save them.

ok, monologue aside, mamo might completely invalidate lando in some matchups, where he does so
much damage so quickly, lando might not even get a chance to set up before the game's over.
otherwise, mamo wears down lando's checks nicely, and breaks some mons everything else has trouble
with, zapdos in particular.

defensively, his typing + ability does him some favors, usually switching into boltbeam users
threatening lando, volc, or raptor, and puts more offensive pressure on than zone. the fire weakness
being nullified helps too, vs non-stab fire moves.

jolly over adamant, as it outspeeds a few otherwise annoying mons, and you won't really find
many matchups where adamant will kill something jolly won't, or matchups where it matters.
knock off to take shed shell off skarmory, usually as my first step in dismantling stall.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Electric]

volcanion can beat ash greninja from full. need i say more? yes. okay.
volcanion's main reason for being on the team is his typing & ability, letting him pull momentum away
from water, grass, ice, steel, and even fairy moves + mons. even then, sometimes you'll want him
in the back for last turn, when he can tank even a super effective hit and fire back with an ohko.

it's a little redundant to have both my special attackers wear glasses, but for the power it brings,
i don't care. as long as it can find itself in a good matchup, eruption + blast is nigh impossible to switch
into comfortably, forming some powerful wallbreaking between it, mamo, and mag.

spread wise, i prefer bulky over speedy. i don't run into many matchups where I'd want to sacrifice
all my bulk for outspeeding some mons the rest of the team deals with anyway. the 8 speed evs outruns standard mawile.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge
- U-turn

BIRD BIRD BOID BIRD.
raptor's the much needed scarfer of the team, bringing much bird to hit grass types, and can pull off
quite the birdly late game cleans with brabe boid and double-edge. also my other line of defense for ash ninjas, not locked into shuriken. tends to come out after azelf booms, as the one thing fast enough to
really take advantage of it, with u-turn to grab better matchups. it also forms some
pseudo-BIRDBIRDBIRD spam with lando. sorta. do not replace with anything but a scarfer.

Watchlist

threats... rotom-w is a big one, resistant to everything on the ground/flying spam side of things,
and can grab good momentum on magnezone, the only proper answer. make sure to beat this thing like a rented mule before it does too much damage. ash ninja's the biggest problem around, where you
need to keep volc and raptor alive the whole match until you can kill it. if you're not in either of those 2
mons when it comes out, sack something. last one on mind, gyarados needs some serious committing to take down, if it comes in on a ground mon. try to keep volc or mag alive to switch into right away, lest it get to +2 speed and
outrun raptor, the best way to revenge it.

Conkeldurr

boy, i talked alot, huh? let me know what you think after playin' a few matches with it.
got that? don't forget the playing part. bye!​

hey I really liked the way this team looked so I played a few games with it and here's some suggestions I have

HP Electric on Volcanion is nice to nail Mantine on the switch, however with this set you are completely walled by Gastrodon and Seismitoad, which your team has a difficult time switching into and breaking otherwise. Changing HP Electric to HP Grass remedies this. HP Electric is not necessary on Volcanion as Magnezone and Mamoswine already do a decent job of keeping Mantine in check.

I like the addition of a scarfer but I think an offensive flying type is redundant seeing as Mamoswine, Volcanion and Z-Fly Landorus already heavily limit the effectiveness of Grass types. I also think Staraptor is a poor choice because of its poor speed stat - in this meta having a scarfer faster than base 100 is invaluable as they help you check +1 Volcarona, Charizard-X and Jirachi as well as the slightly less common Salamence, Manaphy or Victini. A good substitute would be Choice Scarf Latios. I would run Draco Meteor, Psyshock, Trick. There are a few options for the fourth moveslot. Personally, I like Thunderbolt as it helps a lot vs Greninja although energy ball is also a good choice to help with rotom-w as well as the aforementioned water/ground types, although you sacrifice coverage for celesteela and skarmory, a well-played magnezone should make those no problemo. Tailwind is viable to allow for other team members to clean. Defog is also an option but I don't think it's necessary. A cool tech you might like to try out is Calm Mind. What this lets you do is turn what is usually dead weight vs stall into suddenly an extremely powerful stallbreaker after tricking your scarf which I think is very valuable for hyper offensive teams.

I think having both specs on Magnezone and Volcanion to be overkill. The specs on Volcanion are much more valuable than Magnezone's due to how they let him spam his strong stab moves, so Magnezone needs a makeover. Firstly the speed: While outspeeding Tapu Fini is valuable to help keep stealth rocks up, most Finis are running Timid anyway. Same goes for Landorus, most speed creep 220 to be able to HP Ice opposing Landorus. 124 speed EVs with a Modest nature are all you need on Magnezone in order to outpace Mega Scizor before it can U-Turn away. The extra power a modest nature gives us also makes up for the loss of specs. Speaking of which, giving Magnezone an Assault Vest will let us take on the strong psychic types in the tier much better which is very important as the team's only steel type.

I like the bulky Landorus-T set very much but the loss of power is extremely noticeable. To add insult to injury, the additional bulk doesn't really make it much easier to set up. I would use this spread on SD Rocks Lando, but I think for Double Dance a spread of 128 HP/148 ATK/232 SPE with an Adamant nature is more optimal. This way, at +2 you outspeed Modest Scarf Tapu Koko and Modest Swift Swim Kingdra. 252 speed EVs aren't necessary unless you really want to outspeed scarf dugtrio which I don't think is a very relevant threat to this team. 148+ attack EVs let you hit 399 attack, which for perspective is the same number Jolly Mega Swampert hits, so yeah, still very very strong.

Other than that I think the team is really well-constructed and a very good representation of how to build HO in SuMo OU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)