Dark Void Ban Discussion

On Dec. 27th, GBU has announced a ban on the move Dark Void worldwide, in an attempt to make battling on the GBU more competitive.

How does everyone feel about this, and will the new ruling force anybody to rethink/rebuild your team to exclude Smeargle's use of Dark Void?

Discuss...,,,

I personally think that's great. Because seriously that move was absolutely broken in Triples and doubles. I watched some videos that move centralized the whole game around it. You either need Chesto berries or pray that it misses. However I done some comeptitive Triples and VGC. Sleeptalk teams are a great counter to this.

So bottom line is good because this centralized the whole meta game pretty much.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Decided to move this to its own thread!

Either way, I'm glad to see Dark Void go. As BattleStar pointed out, it was an absolute nightmare in Triples. Even though there were ways around it, it could definitely be an annoyance to any team.

In GBU Singles it isn't so bad since there's still Spore around, so the balancing really doesn't affect that meta much

GBU Doubles pretty much appreciates it like it has been appreciated for the VGC tournaments. Although Spore can still be used to great success, Dark Void definitely had its benefits by being a spread move.

Good change imo, glad to see them tailoring the GBU to be more competitive!

Yep. I feel so trolled by Scarf Smeargle that's all you need to give you a "GG".

I am curisous of how the triples metagame will be now. Considering the cheapest move is out of the books.

^_^ Thanks for the thread.

Anyways, I always hated going against DV Smeargle, but I did consider abusing it on my Triples Gravity team. I thought it was a little too cheap though. I'm glad to see it go. Gravity + (priority) GrassWhistle Whimsicott is abusive enough, I suppose.

I'm very happy with this! Of course, I'll still be carrying Taunt for Sableye, and a Lum Berry for Breloom, and a Sub or two just because... My teams won't change much but it's still a relief.

Not that I ever ran into DV Smeargles during my Triples days, but it's nice to see a consistency between VGC and GBU rules.

Since I'm on break until the next semester begins, I suppose I'll try and play Triples again.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I personally hate the move dark void. An 80 (shut up math nerds) % chance to shut down both of your leads for 3 or so turns is terribly overpowered.

However, I do play a lot of GBU and I've only ran into one DV Smeargle since the GBU opened. I don't know if they just weren't that popular or what. Although I think the move is ridiculously cheap, I don't really see this as having a noticeable effect on the GBU metagame as a whole. Back in '09 and '10 I would see DV Smeargles (and Darkrais) on PBR all the time, but since I rarely see them now I don't see this as changing anything.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gamefreak is learning from Smogon. Good, good ♪
gbu has 1 ban based on things that are overpowered (outside of legendary pokemon), hopefully not too many more things change |D

i honestly think the reason dark void was banned was to make it the exact same as VGC rules (bar chatot), wide guard doesn't block it, and inexperienced battlers who play for fun really dont know how to handle it. i dont even think dark void is that imbalanced. there are too many things that stop dark void. misses, magic coat, lum, chesto, abilities, substitute, safeguard, taunt, priority, anything faster that can ko smeargle.

please dont say this makes it 'more competitive.' smeargle with dark void is pretty competitive, and removing it makes gbu more fun for most pokemon players to play.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Down with Dark Void.
It's annoying when I battled a bunch of Darkrais before and it's still annoying now. So this is pretty awesome.

I've played 21 matches on doubles GBU, and I never ran into DV Smeargle (spore yes, DV no). However, I think getting rid of DV was a good move. Other than synching the rules up with VGC 2012, DV is really too dangerous a move for anything except singles. Because of the fast paced nature of doubles and triples, any turn where you're doing nothing is lethal. After all, how many times has a Rock Slide flinch screwed you if you're a VGC player? DV's ability to instantly incapacitate both of the opposing Pokemon for multiple turns is simply too much.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The Dark Void ban likely won't change my team building much, because letting down my guard against sleep moves is exactly what my opponents, if they have Amoonguss/Smeargle/Breloom/or even something random like Grasswhistle Whimsicott under Gravity (...) want me to do. Though I guess this -just- means that I have to worry less when I see a Smeargle :p.

I've ran into grand total of one Dark Void Smeargle in my 50 or so double battles on the GBU (used by someone with Focus Blast Krookodile...), so I can't really speak much about how threatening it would be. As for the ban itself, I'm neutral to it, but this is a good sign that Gamefreak is keeping in touch with the facility. Just as long as they don't use this ban as an excuse to start banning things beyond necessity.

...I just fought a DV Smeargle. Of course, I run ChestoRest and a Sub lead, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I think the only other 'broken' moves they can/should ban are Minimize and Double Team, but maybe that's going too far.

I am pretty sure that getting a Dark Void Smeargle is hard. So that explains Why there is not that many. But I bet you if it was easier to optain every other noob would be using it in GBU. Just because it is not widely used doesn't make dark void any weaker.

It's about as hard as getting a Darkrai, and from what I've heard those were everywhere in PBR Doubles. Smeargle itself is pretty easy to get (ordinary catch in HGSS, swarms in BW), and sketching the move is trivial thanks to wild double battles. That said, I've only run into 1 in my 50 odd Triples battles, and it was alongside a Metal Claw Registeel.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Meh Smeargle was never used to begin with. Dark void in 4th gen was annoying vgc wise. 5th not so much. This ban really won't affect much. Well now Smeargle is practically useless. Though this would make a great pkmn of the month for january to see how viable he is after the ban.

Though I haven't played since the beginning of december. So I guess I'll play a few rated to see if theres any changes in used pokemon.

Never ran into a DV Smeargle, but I'm glad to see GBUs moving closer to standard rules.

Now if somehow they get rid of evasion and OHKO moves...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)