Dark Horse Project v 2.0 (see Post #83)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

Last edited:
Well, to sum up my thoughts: (will edit the sets once on my computer again)

Dragalge: I took more of a supportive route and it's really solid at it. I found myself enjoying dragalge even when facing tentacruel and rose which obviously hurt the t-spikes. Also draco meteors hurt the opposition, and even blissey dislikes this thing due to dragon tail.

Bronzong:
Bronzong @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Earthquake
I used offensive tr as a nice check to offense and, especially, alakazam. I thought this set would be fun, maybe nabbing a couple of surprise sweeps, but was pleasantly surprised by its potential. It has really surprised people and is often my wincon.

Mega Glalie:
Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Earthquake
This one was added to break the tier as an ice type with pretty powerful freeze dry. Mostly it should be compared to mamoswine, and it works far better as a mixed attacker. Purely on the physical side, I'd just go with mamo, but glalie has proven to be a threat against many teams. Even more than mamo.

Overall, I've really enjoyed playing with this "serious mega glalie team" (shoutout LittleRunnerXC ) and sweeping teams with bronzong. Definitely has been a cool way of getting out of my comfort zone.

Last edited:
Fantastic and infuriating, I'm running a straight up HO team with lead aero, offensive spikes roserade, offensive tenta, mega absol, AV escav, and the greatest Tyrantrum ever.
Scarfassaurus (Tyrantrum) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Hackerman (Escavalier) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Drill Run

Triceracop (Aerodactyl) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Fire Blast
- Tailwind

Kung Fury (Absol-Mega) @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch

6th Ranger (Roserade) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes
- Sleep Powder

Karate Hitler (Tentacruel) @ Life Orb
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
As you can see I named pretty much everything after something from the movie Kung Fury, barring the 6th mon I added in Roserade and Tyrantrum. The idea is clear, make way for Absol to sweep, and Tyrantrum does beautifully at bluffing the scarf and then breaking things with his skull. The fact that all of the nicknames are stupid as hell actually helps Tyrantrum bluff the scarf well, and I'd love to say "that's why I gave him that name", but I really gave it to him because the white thing on his neck looks like a sick scarf. Tyrantrum does nothing except for drop Head Smashes really, and coming off of Adamant CB he can do things like 2hko CroCune, 0hko CM Florges, and I've even seen him break a weakened Mega Aggron enough for Absol to come through. Tyrantrum works well with Escav to give the team a very good fire resist, and even burnt by Sacred Fire Tyrantrum can lay on serious hurt with Head Smash and Outrage.

I've pretty much given up on laddering the team though as it has one serious flaw that drives me insane, and that's their terrible aim. Nearly every mon runs a move that can and has missed to cost me a game, Tenta can't seem to land a Hydro Pump on a Donphan ever, Rose missed four Leaf Storms in a row one game(four), Head Smash is a shitshow, Sleep Powder is lol for all sorts of reasons, Aero missed two Fire Blasts in a row on one guy's Forretress, and one time a guy sent in his Moxie Krook in on an obvious Megahorn and managed to live because nothing can ever hit anything with this team. At least Absol hits everything.

A lot of problems with the team for sure aside from their aim, but a ton of fun when things go even half right. Maybe it's my punishment for bluffing scarf on people.

EDIT: Will add more tomorrow about Aero+Escav since they're also DHs.

Hi everybody, just a quick update. I've been MIA the past few days (I'm in the process of moving into my new apartment, getting everything set up including internet). I will be updating February's winner tomorrow, and will be posting March's DH soon. I already picked out the DH(s) for March, but if somebody has a good suggestion, I would reconsider!

Thank you in advance for understanding, and I should be back to my regular presence on here in a few weeks! Look for an update tomorrow PM.

Reactions: nv
So, it looks like Euphonos is the winner for February 2016 with 1607. HO seems to be the most used playstyle to really coordinate with Tyrantrum! Dat Head Smash though! :-D

Gonna post my fresh alt here, will update post with pastebin later.

Alt: Shamrock Malphites (Proof below)

Team:
Virizion 0.48026% (DH)
Mega Ampharos 5.90752%
Yanmega 1.75462% (DH)
Gligar 5.11890%
Krookodile 8.96660%
Vaporeon 4.96830%

Total: 27.1962/28 (or 31 since both DH are green)

Attachments

Gonna post my fresh alt here, will update post with pastebin later.

Alt: Shamrock Malphites (Proof below)

Team:
Virizion 0.48026% (DH)
Mega Ampharos 5.90752%
Yanmega 1.75462% (DH)
Gligar 5.11890%
Krookodile 8.96660%
Vaporeon 4.96830%

Total: 27.1962/28 (or 31 since both DH are green)
It'd be 31 :-)

Attachments

Last edited:
I dug the shit out of turn 16 with that Draco prediction, but once Cobalion was gone why didn't you start spamming Sludge Wave every time you safely brought Dragalge in? Ice Beam couldn't have done too much and between that and Toxic eventually P2 would have been gone.

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Excited to participate in this month's Dark Horse in honor of our beloved Saint Patrick1088! I will be using the alt green energy balls. My dark horses are Virizion and Bronzong, both of which happen to be green.

Aromatisse | 0.23887%
Virizion | 1.05479%
Bronzong | 1.70831%
Sableye | 4.00225%
Suicune | 9.44310%
Donphan | 9.71680%

Total: 26.16412%
greenenergyballs.png
EDIT: 1300 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-343320107
EDIT 2: 1400 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-343782724
EDIT 3: 1500 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-350017364

Last edited:
So, after playing around with the team, I tried contacting Patrick1088 via pm some weeks ago, but he's been too busy to get back to me. Using last months case of changing Mega-Aggron to Mega-Steelix as precedent, I changed tornadus to escavalier (keeping meloetta, dragalge and Mega-Aboma as dark horses). Having done that I actually started liking the team a lot more as it gained some much appreciated special bulk, a way to deal with bulky psychics and some comfort against florges and scarf hydreigon while only giving up tailwind support for meloetta/gardevoir.

With the changes, I managed to climb up to 1620, reaching S-rank:

So, onto the sets:

Meloetta:
Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice

This thing is surprisingly good with a sub cm set. With maximum hp investment, meloetta gains 101 hp subs, letting it set up in the face of a blissey. If you glance the replay (albeit short), you might realize what kind of a terror this set can be against stall or defensive pokemon relying on status/weak scalds. With this moveset (arguably its best combination) meloetta gets completely walled by sableye, but covers other threats rather well.

Mega-Abomasnow:
Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 8 HP / 68 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Mild Nature
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Blizzard
- Earthquake

Slow, yet powerful describes abomasnow really well. With stealth rock, toxic spikes, and hail neutralizing leftovers, many defensive monsters find it hard to switch into blizzards and the occasional giga drain. Ice being a terrible defensive typing leaves abomasnow forced out often after netting a kill/dealing damage, but it's a great special attacker with an additional niche in checking mence.

Dragalge: I used the same set as previous month, and I still like the pressure it creates for the opposing team. It worked wonders with abomasnow, as both bring in special walls, which can rather soon be overloaded.

And then the two alternatives:

Tornadus:
Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Tailwind
- Hurricane
- Knock Off/Grass Knot
- Heat Wave

I've seen bob use this mon with success. I even tried 4 attacks life orb, but nothing seemed to pay off. It was successful in pulling of some clutch tailwinds, but I found it going down far too easily for my liking. I think it has a lot more potential than I could pull off :/

Escavalier:
Escavalier @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Pursuit

The glue I needed, Escavalier proved to be what I had needed to make this team work. It is by no means the great special wall of china some make it out to be, but it has a nice typing along with great physical power. Bulky psychics hate it, alakazam dislikes it, mienshao despises it (with protect). It has gotten a tad bit too much hype with alakazams drop, but when played carefully escavalier pulls off great things.

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'll go ahead and share my thoughts on the mons I used. Unfortunately I was unable to get S rank because I built a pretty lame team, but I still had a lot of fun trying out some pokemon that I don't usually get to use.

Virizion: I thought this Virizion set looked fun since it destroys certain stally teams that rely on the AlomBliss Fatmence core. However, I ran into a surprising number of Crobat instead, which made it hard for Virizion to put in work. Relying on hitting Focus Blasts can also be dangerous. I think the Swords Dance set is by the far the better Virizion set in this tier since it can boost faster and has Stone Edge to hit Crobat on the switch.
Virizion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Bronzong:
Pretty standard Bronzong set. It's always a toss-up on the steel STAB, but Iron Head seemed to fit my team best. Bronzong did well on this team because it checks a unique mix of threats with its cool typing and ability. Without Bronzong, my team would have had no switchins to Kyurem, Nidoqueen, or Gardevoir, among other things.
Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Aromatisse: Aroma Veil was a lot more useful than I thought it would be. There were several instances where a Sableye or Hydreigon taunted on the switch but I was still able to heal up. A couple of Whimsicott even tried to Encore me. The extra physical bulk compared to Florges is great too, but Aromatisse's special bulk is lacking, rendering it unable to check Mega Houndoom, among other things. Cool pokemon, but Florges is usually better.

Donphan: I knew there was a reason why I never use this thing. Donphan is garbage in this tier. I would have been much better off using Gligar or something. Why it has more usage than Suicune I have no idea.

Sableye: Very good pokemon against stall and offense alike. I was surprised it was at only 4% usage.

Suicune: It's Cune. Nothing more to say.

So, it looks like FrozenMan is the winner for March's Luck o' the Irish DH with an S-Rank of 1620!

Any suggestions for April? Usage stats should be up in a few days.

A hint for my suggestion for April's DH is;

April Showers bring May flowers....
Also, as a side note, as Frozenman did mention before, I did not get back to him for 2 weeks with an answer. I just recently moved out of my house (1st time woo woo!) and have my wedding in 7 weeks. I will do my best to check every few days for updates/questions. I am hoping to be somewhat back to my old presence end of May/early June after my honeymoon (Mexico!). That's the end of my public announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)