D/P Gengar (Set option)

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/gengar

First of all, this is my first stab at contributing to the analysis workshop so please give me honest feedback and also let me know if I mess up anything process-wise.

This is an alternative for the sashed lead set.

[SET]
name: Focus Sash
move 1: Counter
move 2: Hypnosis
move 3: Explosion/Destiny Bond
move 4: Shadow Ball/Focus Punch
item: Focus Sash
nature: Timid / Hasty / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]

This moveset can potentially cripple one half of your opponent's team if it is used correctly. You start by Countering an obvious OHKO move from a Pokémon like Weavile. That's one Pokémon down already. If you are feeling lucky, you can attempt to put another Pokémon to sleep with Hypnosis. However, if Sand Stream is in effect, you would be better off having already put something to sleep. Once you counter the Pokémon you will already be dead as well. And the last mission is to Explode on or Destiny Bond the third Pokémon. If you use Focus Punch as your filler instead of Shadow Ball you can damage any Blissey or Tyranitar that switches into Hypnosis. If you do, use Jolly and Shift the Special Attack EVs into Attack. This will also maximize Explosion's Power. This set is pretty simple, but Sand Stream really ruins it.
A risky set, which is only useful as a lead, but it can be very effective under the right circumstances.

Hopefully I did this the right way.

I can't really see Tyranitar switching into Hypnosis. What it would be doing is coming in after you've countered something to set up Sandstorm, then you'd have one turn in which you prob'ly would use Hypnosis. It would likely switch out, as only one turn later Gengar's dead regardless. I don't see Focus Punch being much use. I guess with Hypnosis against Blissey, as with max Attack it'll 2HKO her.

Either way, the set'd be Hasty to take maximum damage to Counter.

If Hasty is always preferred, then Timid should also be removed.

Some examples of this set from actual battles:
T-Tar lead
Switch to Zapdos
Hypnosis sleeps Zapdos.
Switch back to T-Tar
OHKO with Focus Punch.
Gengar is still alive to Explode later

Raikou Lead
Hypnosis
Lucario Switch in
Focus punch OHKOs Lucario
Weavile switches in
Night Slash
Counter OHKOs
Cresselia Switches in
Explosion OHKOs with a Crit. Still would've been a Big Dent otherwise.
3 down 1 asleep.

These are only the successes that needed focus punch. There were more successes and many failures. It's a gimmick though so that's to be expected.

I don't think this is worth putting in. Focus Punch does hurt blisseys but hypnosis and explosion would do it too. Tyranitar is not switching in on Gengar either. You could mention taunt somewhere. A bit too gimicky to change the set but it could work, I just find shadow ball or taunt much better.

Huh what, that example does not work at all. The only reason why Zapdos would switch into sleep is if it's a Sleep Talker, so after taking sleep, it would just stay and attack if it thought Gengar was Scarf'd. There's no reason to go back to Tyranitar when it doesn't have to that early.

And who the hell leads with Raikou. You assume every time everyone will think Gengar is Scarf'd.

I didn't make that up. It happened. People do weird stuff all the time. The sash set isn't listed because it always works, it's there as an "if you're lucky this can do a lot of damage" set. For that purpose, focus punch can help at least as often as shadow ball.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
this post is for jrrrrrrr's and Aldaron's purposes...

questonable but leaning towards delete I really don't see Focus Punch on Gengar for this set

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)