Creative and Underrated Movesets in UU

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
OP adapted from ginganinja . Approved by Hikari. Taken over from LilOu. massive massive thanks to Jackii for the banner <3

What is a new and creative moveset?

1. It doesn't have an analysis on site. Analysis for viable UU pokemon can be found here.
  2. It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  3. It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  4. It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.
  5. It has had some success. [sufficient testing / replays (duh)]
What is an underrated moveset?

1. It is a set that does have an analysis on the SmogDex but it is extremely uncommon in the ladder or tournaments.
  2. It is a set that doesn't have an analysis, but is fairly common (underrated enough to not have a mention on the analysis).
  3. Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.

What are some things that constitute a gimmick?

1. Movesets that are highly inconsistent.
  2. Unviable pokemon.
  3. Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
If you really want to push for something that many would consider a shitty gimmick, please get adequate replays and maybe it'll be considered.

A shitty gimmick is not limited to the above, though. To quote Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it."

*Rules*
  1. NO SHITTY GIMMICKS. They don't add any positives to the discussion and only derail the thread. These posts may be subject to being deleted.
  2. If you could specify whether your set is creative or underrated that would be swell.
  3. If I like your post it means I'm adding your set. If I don't then that's too bad.
  4. Replays are encouraged for creative sets. 1500+ ladder ranking / identifiable good player pls.
  5. If you want to dump a bunch of creative movesets, the above rules still apply.

Last edited:

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 96 Atk / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Iron Tail
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

This creative set does not have an analysis and takes advantage of the popularity of fairy Types. With Gyarados coming into tier, Mega Sceptile has also gained quite a bit popularity thanks to its ability and typing. This set takes advantage of mons such as Florges that wants to come into to take a Leaf Storm and wall Sceptile. Normal Sceptile sets cannot deal with Florges and this set takes the advantage of the over confident Florges after stealth rock damage. Iron Tail also 2HKOs regular Florges sets.

Calcs:

160+ SpA Mega Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 147-174 (40.8 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
96 Atk Mega Sceptile Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 176-208 (48.8 - 57.7%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

160+ SpA Mega Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Florges: 163-193 (45.2 - 53.6%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
96 Atk Mega Sceptile Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 158-186 (43.8 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

160+ SpA Mega Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Whimsicott: 149-176 (46.1 - 54.4%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
96 Atk Mega Sceptile Iron Tail vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 136-162 (42.1 - 50.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

He-yo! This is a Shuckle set I've been using

Shuckle @ Red Card
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Infestation

This is the set! Essentially, most people expect a mental herb or whatever and use this opportunity to set up on you. This Shuckle utilises it and forces set-uppers to switch out. It can set SW and SR on the field and can easily be switched out and returned back to the field if they are removed. Toxic and infestation can actually do reasonable damage and traps an unsuspecting opponent who is forced in by red card. Infestation also slightly compensates for its newfound taunt vulnerability. Enjoy!

Also nice to see Spoof on the UU room. I said hi (as SSF Alt).

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Most people see Snorlax and think Curselax, either Mono or with EQ. Occasionally, you'll come across Bandlax or Assault Vest. This is the sister set.
I don't claim to take credit for this set, I've just used it quite a bit lately and I'm a big fan.

Snorlax @ Custap Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Self-Destruct
  • One of the best checks to Chandelure in the game via pursuit
  • Can actually use Entry Hazards on your side as an advantage to activate Custap Berry, perfect for ending stuff like a DD Salamence sweep.
  • Lures Cobalion, and can take a non-boosted CC in order to Custap Self Destruct/EQ the following turn.
  • Lures other common physical attackers such as Heracross, Machamp, and Lucario.
  • Lures Taunt users.
  • Occasionally lures a post-KO Mamoswine, which cannot revenge kill Snorlax with Ice Shard if over 12% health, allowing you to Boom.
  • Struggles against Steel-types such as Mega Aggron, so it pairs very well with Specs Chandelure.
  • Struggles against NP Azelf, so Scarf Hydreigon partners up well with this set + Chandelure.
  • Florges or Aloma can check fighting types after they've switched in, and keep Snorlax potentially healthy. Florges in particular can take care of status problems.
Fun to use, decent ladder and tour option. Hopefully some surprise factor will remain after this post.

Here's a sample team using such a set:
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Volt Switch

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Memento

Snorlax @ Custap Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Self-Destruct

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Copying from old thread

Fat RoarDos

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Hello everyone. I've been testing out Gyara's defensive potential since I couldn't get DD to work for me (although it has been abusing me lol). So, I tried to build a balance team using FatGyara and I seem to have found success with this set. Since Gyara has no recovery, I opted for RestTalk to be self sustaining and not rely on Wish support. I tried a lot of moves for the last two slots, but I like Waterfall + Roar as the last two. The team I use this on uses T-Spikes, so I decided against T-Wave, and I thought Roar would be clutch to get some things poisoned before they are spinned or defogged. D-Tail is another option but unreliable and can't phase Fairies. Waterfall is the obligatory STAB, although EQ works to check Toxicroak better and hit Empoleon and grounded Electrics hard. The speed on this spread creeps Crawdaunt bc why not?

Why use this over Suicune? You get a Fighting resist, Bug resist (for Hera), Ground immunity, Intimidate, and not weak to Grass. That's why.

Here is a replay of it in action:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-320699083

CBU

Banned deucer.
TIRED OF THE SKILLFUL BULKY SUB DD GYARA RIPPING HOLES IN YOUR TEAM? INTERESTED IN A MON THAT SHITS ON IT AND AT THE SAME TIME KEEPS YOUR TEAM HEALTHY? THEN PAY ATTENTION...HEAT INCOMING:
tumblr_m6xyasA7gG1qeyy6oo1_500.gif

Alomoshithead (Alomomola) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Any of you that are familiar with my teams know that i love the fish...And can u blame me? Solid wall, wish passer, regen, scald spam
Recently tho, i found out that my traditional build was set up fodder for gyara. So i had to do sth. Provided we are talking about a mon that has a x4 weakness, i didnt have to find a new member for my team, i just had to invent a counter. Hp electric is guaranteed to break the sub, whereas protect keeps you safe from bounce. Only alternative gyara has is to either switch out or waterfall. And here comes the rocky helmet as the biggest fu to gyara. I strongly reccomend alo as a gyara counter and a healer for your team in general.

Hope I helped :]

Last edited:

Chandelure @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature / Timid
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Trick

Gardevoir @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Modest Nature / Timid
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Trick

I really like running this on teams that want a wallbreaker with immediate power but also a mon that is a deterrent to Stall teams with a check for such wallbreaker. For instance, if you are facing classic Blissey Stall, You can Trick the Scarf / Specs and still have the resources to threaten the stall team from there on out with Calm Mind while more than likely gaining Leftovers keeping the mon healthy while setting up on the choice locked wall.

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not calling out anyone in particular, but some of the sets posted have been more super(subpar)-gimmicks rather than "creative" or "underused" sets. It's come to the point where I myself have been breaking the thread's rules just to address the quality of some of these nominations. For this I apologize, and moving forward means that the moderation staff will be looking at this thread more closely to make sure that sets such such as 1v1 metagame sets don't make it to this thread.

This thread is meant for quality sets that have a viable place against a decent portion of the meta. It is meant to help improve and diversify your level of play, not hinder it. If your set smells like a C rank set, it will be deleted, no questions asked. If your post is a vague commentary on such posts, it will be deleted. Much obliged to all of you for offering your time and effort to contribute sets, so let's make sure they're the best we can offer.

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire

This may be obvious but I have yet to see anyone else use this so here it is. With out new friend SubDD Gyarados shifting the meta drastically, a lot of common water resists aren't the best switch ins to it because of Bounce. Protect on scep alleviates our problem of trying to wall such, being a dead stop to gyarados, able to stall bounces out and heal off most waterfall damage even at +1 due to the 4x resist. Seeing how good sceptile is in this meta, the extra power on Leaf Storm is kind of unnecessary imo, especially when it'll end up getting set up on late game. The only problem is the potential Ice Fang but I think most of us agree that's bad coverage compared to Bounce.

Also I have a Tangrowth set with the same idea in mind in case you already have a mega, Giga Drain breaks sub and Sludge Bomb is for Whimsicott since they always seem to wanna switch in to this set. Plus, who doesn't like cheesing a poison every once in a while?

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 24 SpA
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off / Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Gyarados @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang / Double-Edge

Choice Band Gyarados is a pretty cool and underrated Gyarados set because of it's immediate power with Choice Band and the Choice Band allowing it to run all the coverage it ever needs. Waterfall is the main STAB here, dealing large damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Stone Edge provides great coverage, hitting Flying types like Zapdos hard. Earthquake hits bulky Steel types for good damage and also hits Electric-types super effectively. The last slot is a choice to you. Bounce isn't very useful on a CB set, as being locked into a 2-turn move makes you bait for Chesnaught and other Pokemon. Ice Fang hits Grass-types like Chesnaught for decent damage, while Double-Edge provides good neutral coverage on things that don't resist it. Now, the question is, why would you use this set? Well, the biggest reason is probably the amount of wallbreaking power it has with Gyarados' coverage moves. See, with his 125 Attack stat, Gyarados is a pretty nice wallbreaker or lure, as this set can lure in many potential checks or counters to Gyarados, like Zapdos, Mega Aggron, or Chesnaught, and wear them down to the point to where other teammates can beat them. Overall, while this set isn't the best set Gyarados can muster, it's still a pretty cool wallbreaker/lure in the current metagame, and I hope you like it!

EDIT: A bulkier spread with more HP EVs can be used to make this set more like an offensive tank thanks to Gyarados' access to Intimidate and decent typing.

Vapo

water me
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Haze / Toxic Spikes / Hidden Power Electric
- Rapid Spin

Fast Tentacruel is something I've been playing around with recently, and it's actually quite effective. It leads extremely well against common rockers like Krookodile and Mamoswine and OHKO's both as they try to click EQ. Ice Beam is nice and KO's Salamence, which will more than likely attempt to set up versus you. You have the last two moveslots to put whatever utility moves you want, though HP Electric can be cool to smack Gyarados. Even with the minimal bulk investment, Tentacruel can still check things like Cobalion and Infernape which is nice.
200 SpA Tentacruel Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Krookodile: 332-392 (100.3 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

200 SpA Tentacruel Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 372-440 (103.6 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

200 SpA Tentacruel Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Salamence: 360-428 (108.7 - 129.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Fire Blast vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 170-201 (53.9 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Offensive Rapid Spin Tentacruel by Vapo
I was actually going to post this eventually. It really catches people off guard. I do wish Hydropump hit every time and killed Nidoqueen. One thing I found very beneficial to the third move slot is Acid Spray. You can switch in on CM florges and actually win. It also puts a lot of pressure on things that want to set up. Slower things switch in and lose -2 which means they cant take a hydro pump now, or you can switch out and have that poke weak on the special side. Hikari used this effectively vs dodmen in Spl. This will be added but I'd assume this will be on an analysis soon.
Choice Banded Gyarados by BrandonBeast
I personally like the idea of this set. It acts as a nice intimidate pivot with the immediate power of CB. Its like a water type Krook. I'll probably test this out some before adding it but it seems like a nice idea.
TSR Protect stuff
Sorry but the protect Sceptile is highly situational especially when it is timid. I run Modest Sceptile and I have never been in a situation where my speed was not enough pre mega or that I couldn't find a switch where i could get the mega off. The Tangrowth set is also pretty situational. HP ice/ fire do a better job in most sets. Knock off is one of Tangrowth's best moves as well as sleep powder. Protect is meh since people switch out after leech seed and I see the lure tactic but you are giving up too much of Tangrowth's potential for it.

The rest will be added or removed. If you have any concerns and think I was unjust, then you may message me privately or on Showdown. Thanks for your contributions :)!

Last edited:
Spoofy, you alright if I post some stuff from the old thread that caught my attention? I think some of it could still be effective and it's not up here, but if you nix it I'll let it be.

Spoofy, you alright if I post some stuff from the old thread that caught my attention? I think some of it could still be effective and it's not up here, but if you nix it I'll let it be.
I did weed out a few sets that were no longer able to be run effectively in this new meta, now had an analysis, or they were not viable (Regigigas*). You can message me about the sets and link the old posts and I'll give them a second thought. If you find an old set and improvise it to work better with this meta, then you may post it here.

DaSpoofy, I agree with the modest sceptile for the most part. Timid kinda isn't necessary, that was a mistake on my part with exporting it out of the teambuilder. But protect isn't for a safe mega, it's so you have a 100% safe switch in to gyarados that doesn't get overwhelmed by it setting up. As for tang, again I ripped it right out of a team where I used sludge bomb; sleep powder and knock off are still better in most cases
And also edited post u_u

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Protect Tangrowth is definitely viable with Gyara running around. You can't Leech Seed if they're behind a sub. You also get to scout for choice locked mons like Hera/Entei/Chandy and go from there. Yeah Knock Off is probably better in some cases but I could say the same for every set on this thread

Threw

cohiba

Arcanine @ Passho Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat

Idk if just changing the item is enough, but it's a pretty big change so I figured why not. Passho Arcanine is a really, really great lure for pretty much any Water-type that can take one Wild Charge like Mega Blastoise and Cune and a great way to deal with Gyara once it's set up and CB Daunt if your team has trouble with them. I also don't miss the power drop from not having LO that badly since Flare Blitz and Wild Charge hit really hard already and the lack of recoil on top of recoil makes Arcanine last a lot longer, which is nice. I've been using it to clear bulky Waters for a Mega Sharp sweep and it's been performing really well so far.

Magic Coat P2
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Tri Attack
- Recover
- Magic Coat
This was on the old thread, but that does not make it any less effective. Basically, P2 is a big shit to stuff like dedicated leads, Sab, Toxic / Sr / TWave users with Magic Bounce, so it can avoid a load of status. It's very prediction-heavy and all, and the evs can be changed for bulk/power, but this is a stock sort of set that's still fun and can pull weight.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Gyarados @ Charti Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Bounce

3 attacks + Dragon Dance Charti Berry Gyarados w/ Moxie. Basically the set aims to more or less smack Aerodactyl that attempt to revenge kill since they outspeed +1 and it nabs you a nice Moxie boost in the process, this also prevents Porygon2 from being to wall you as effectively and also allows you to smack / setup on weakened Cobalion that tend to run Stone Edge nowadays among other things. Overall helps with teams that want to run Gyarados + common Aero weak partners like Mega Sceptile without being too weak to the dinosaur.

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Basically, Sharpedo finds itself walled by things like Toxicroak. To remove said Toxicroak, simply run Earthquake over another coverage move, and suddenly your troubles vanish. Also hits the Ever-Annoying Helioisk, as well as almost every bulky steel. Enjoy!

Smack 'em up Bronzong

Bronzong @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Iron Head / gyro ball
- Explosion
- Earthquake / stealth rock
- Trick

Ye old Bronzong is usually presumed to be a TR or screens setter, so people are surprised when it actually starts killing things. When something like suicune or gyarados comes in, you just blow up or trick it a nice choice item, anticipating the set up. Any support mons are expressed a lovely band, with $0 shipping and handling. Stealth rock is an option to get a free hazard set after your opponent is tricked. The difference between iron head and gyroball is largely choosing how you want to kill slower stuff. Iron head does ~85% to max defense Flores, while gyroball just OHKOs mega scept. (I suppose you could use heavy slam to KO Flores, but that is too niche, and iron head already has a slim chance to OHKO).

252+ Atk Choice Band Bronzong Explosion vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 277-326 (72.3 - 85.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

^probably the single best defensive answer that's not jellicent

ZenButt is awful, don't use it. Still walls the stuff that Bronzong normally walls.

Calcs incoming...

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Offensive Porygon2 is a really neat and underrated set. Basically, it's Porygon2 that sacrifices some bulk (While still countering a lot of threats like Gyarados) for a more offensive presence. This set also punishes switchins thanks to Analytic boosting it's attack power. This Porygon2 can also surprise people that expect defensive P2, like let's say a Roserade starts to set up Toxic Spikes on P2, and then offensive P2 punishes the Roserade with Analytic Ice Beam. And as I said earlier, this set still has a lot of bulk behind it, letting Porygon2 check and counter a lot of threats still. Overall, this is a pretty cool set and if you're looking for a good bulky mon that still provides offensive pressure, then try out this Porygon2!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)