cooking

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
living away from home means no mum on standby to provide meals so I've had to cook for myself and really enjoying it. do you cook? do you like cooking and what kind of things do you cook, and also tips and little tidbits of information pertinent to cooking are welcome and encouraged

i'll post something more substantial later

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"cook"ie?

I live in a one bedroom apartment so I cook for myself all the time. My mom taught me how to cook at a young age though so I've gotten pretty good at it.

As far as tips and tricks go, here is a big one that really helped me: Master the staples first. What I mean is, master the staple, base foods like chicken, beef, pasta, fish, potatoes, etc. Once you master them, you have endless possibilities for experimentation, like trying different marinades or spice rubs/breadings. You don't want to branch out and experiment right away because it won't do you any good if you don't know how to cook the chicken in the first place right? Also, learning how to make a plain white sauce can open many doors for you as far as dressings to go with your meats. In addition, there are certain spices that you absolutely MUST HAVE at your disposal:

Oregano
Basil
Crushed Red Pepper
Black pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Tarragon
Seasoning Salt

You will find that a great many of your meals can be enhanced by the addition of Onion powder. Not a HUGE amount, mind you, but enough to add a bit of flavor. Seasoning salt is another option that is very versatile and can go with just about anything. The other spices I mentioned are necessary to keep around, but are more complimentary and are used less liberally/in groups (oregano+basil+red pepper, garlic+black pepper, etc). I realize that my spice selection leans a bit toward the Italian dishes, but they can be used for other things as well.

To touch on the marinades I mentioned earlier, here are a few goodies I've discovered over the years. I'll list them according to the type of meat.

Steak/Beef
-Beer. Try different types, light and dark, to find your preference. My favorites are Dogfish head 120 minute IPA, Blue Moon, and Coors Light (I shit you not)
-Salad dressing. Italian dressing is best for this, but you can try a peppercorn or french if you like. Stay away from creamy dressings as they do not marinate well.
-Red wine. The less sweet the wine, the better the marinade. Stay away from the really sweet reds.

Chicken
-White wine. Do not mix this up the with reds for beef. It's this way for a reason. Once again lean toward the drier, less sweet wines for the best marinades. I recommend a medium-bodied Pinot Grigio.
-Salad dressing. Once again the Italian dressings/vinaigrettes work here. Also steer clear of creamy marinades as you did with the beef.
-Tomato sauce. Believe it or not a basic tomato sauce (lightly spiced of course) makes a terrific marinade.
-Lemon juice. A little goes a long way, though.

Fish
-White wine. You can be a little more bold with some sweeter wines, but don't overdo it.
-Salad dressing. See a trend here?
-Beer. Lighter beers are best here, and not too much of them. You don't want to totally immerse them like you would a steak or pot roast.
-Lemon juice. See Chicken.

Wow that post turned out longer than I expected. If I think of any more pearls of wisdom, I'll share. In the meantime, I'll leave you with one final piece of advice...

BUY A SLOW COOKER/CROCK POT IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE ALREADY. IT IS/WILL BECOME YOUR BEST FRIEND

EDIT: Damn, forgot a very important marinade: SALSA! Salsa is a great marinade for all three kinds of meat, so pick your spice level and roll with it! Just make sure it's the red kind (tomato based) and you can't go wrong!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cookie, I also am enjoying the bachellor-pad lifestyle, and cooking is a big part of it. I like cooking in general, but cooking for myself is the best-- mostly because there is zero bitching, and I know exactly what stuff I like.

Last night I made Kim Chee Nabe (hot pot). In the cold winter, Nabe in general is really popular here in Japan, but I like Kim Chee and its really easy to do. It basically consists of:

1) boil hot water.

2) throw in Kim Chee, veggies, mung bean noodles, tofu, and won tons

3)add beef

Then eat it with rice. Good stuff! Outside Kim Chee, I also do Ton Jiru occasionally (miso and pork base), as well as just Shabu-shabu (no sauce in hot pot) with ponzu dipping sauce.

Of course, adding udon or soba to the leftover soup or adding rice to make okayu can be very nice (especially the kim chee okayu!).

Also, Ramen (especially won ton men), Udon, Soba, Spaghetti . . . basically noodles are really easy to make so I end up doing them alot.

. . . Spam Musubi . . .

In terms of Spaghetti, I like to try a lot of different sauce types, but the most common (in order)

1) Tomato (w/ Enoki mushrooms, Spinache & Broccoli)
2) Lemon Pesto (sometimes with cream or tomato added)
3) Cream (broccoli, tomato slices)
4) Meat (with Mushrooms, usually maitake)
5) Lemon Juice / Olive Oil / Parmesan Cheese (super lazy!)
6) Mushroom spaghetti (Garlic/oil sauce with maitake, enoki and other mushrooms)
7) Ume (Pickled Plum), Shoyu (soy sauce) and canned tuna (this one is odd, but surprisingly good).

Some other really easy things I will make / eat when lazy: Mizu-Gyouza, Yaki-Gyouza, Chao Han (fried rice), Cold Soumen (though too cold for this now), Ponzu shirotaki, Miso Katsu (buying the pork katsu at the supermarket), Cup Pho (lol, instant-alicious), unagi-don (once more, buying the unagi pre-maid), Yakisoba.

When I get lonesome for the US, I just make a huge stack of Peanut Butter Jelly sandwhiches. lol

I cook all the time, as I live in an apartment off campus, and it is the cheapest and easiest way to get food. I really enjoy it, but I like baking even more. You see, it's so satisfying to measure things out precisely, follow instructions to a T, and then get something incredibly delicious as a result ^_^

I bake everything from cookies to lemon squares to cheesecakes to souffles, but here I will give you an easy, delicious recipe for black bottom cupcakes (chocolate cupcakes with chocolate chip cheesecake filling) that I stole from a cookbook. It's pretty much my favorite thing to make since it's so easy and so delicious :) So here it is:

For the cake batter:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup natural cocoa powder (NOT Dutch cocoa, as this will screw everything up!!!!)
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup boiling water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

For the filling:
8 oz Mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 large egg
pinch of salt
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (I usually use Godiva, but you can use whatever brand you want, really ^_^)

For the chocolate glaze:
8oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1/4 cup light corn syrup

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Line two standard 12-cupcake tins with paper cupcake liners

To make the filling:

In a medium bowl, cream together the mascarpone, confectioners' sugar, egg, salt, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Stir in the chocolate chips.

To make the cake batter:

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a 2-cup measuring cup, combine the boiling water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients. Stir together until smooth.

Fill each cupcake cup 1/4 full of batter and top with a tablespoon or so of the filling; divide it evenly and use it all. Top the filling with the remaining batter, dividing it evenly. Bake until cupcakes are puffed and firm, about 25-28 min.

Meanwhile, make the glaze:
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat, stirring constantly until fully melted and mixed together.

Once the cupcakes are out of the oven, drizzle the glaze on top with a spoon. You can enjoy once you think you won't burn yourself!!! ^_^

Hope you guys enjoy it!!! ^_^

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
My problem with cooking, is I dont have any recipes that arent based around tomatoes, aside from the really, really basic stuff (steak and potatoes) and things that are impractically fatty.

Like I can do a red curry, and my other curry options, are vindaloo or a coconut milk based curry. Both of which are really really not good for you.

Or I could do like a tomato based pasta sauce, and my other options are various mixtures of cream, egg and cheese.

So in winter I do end up making a lot of soup, and in summer I basically just do meat and 2 veg.

Have a nice day.

I hate cooking because I always wait until I am extremely hungry to eat and then cooking takes time. I also live with flatmates that never do their own dishes so that puts me at an impass as well. I usually just boil some pasta and put some butter and pepper on it and call it a day. Sometimes I'll cook up chicken with cooked spinach and potatoes which is really good. I mostly eat on campus at my uni's dining hall but I don't think I have a meal plan for next semester so I'm going to be eating pretty unhealthy and skipping a lot of meals.

I live with my gf and her family, and my gf is a cooking genius (fucking seriously) so I don't really need to do much even though I quite enjoy cooking. The most I tend to do is french toast every now and then, noodles relatively frequently, and odd things that are for me only.

The thing I make the most is probably a pasta dish. You cook up the pasta, then fry it in soy sauce, thyme and garlic (although I tend to do one or the other). Delicious stuff right there, and for all you meat eaters it doesn't need meat as it tastes great as is.
My problem with cooking, is I dont have any recipes that arent based around tomatoes, aside from the really, really basic stuff (steak and potatoes) and things that are impractically fatty.
What's wrong with tomato? (as long as it's not raw that is.) I remember discussing this with you on irc last year but idr the details.

The thing I make the most is probably a pasta dish. You cook up the pasta, then fry it in soy sauce, thyme and garlic (although I tend to do one or the other). Delicious stuff right there, and for all you meat eaters it doesn't need meat as it tastes great as is.
Wow, that sounds delicious; I'll have to try it sometime! Of course, I'd probably add in some veggies like broccoli, carrots, and baby corn just for kicks, and some tofu to round it out. Are you a vegetarian?? Because I'm one, too ^_^

Yeah I'm vegetarian. Rounding it out with veges is probably a good idea but for me it's just a snack so I can't be bothered. I mean if you're going to use veges and what not why not just use noodles since they're easier to work with, especially with stir fry veges. I think TVP or variants would work better (iirc I've tried it before).

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I cook all the time, as I live in an apartment off campus, and it is the cheapest and easiest way to get food. I really enjoy it, but I like baking even more. You see, it's so satisfying to measure things out precisely, follow instructions to a T, and then get something incredibly delicious as a result ^_^
You are crazy :O

I can't stand having to follow recipes to a tee. I love the freedom and creativity available to mean when mixing a wok or filling a pot.

Just curious, but are you a girl? Maybe partly being male, but while sweets are nice, I don't like them anywhere near enough to raise a hand for them. If I am actually going to put in work to make something, it should generally contain meat~! :D

Yeah I'm vegetarian. Rounding it out with veges is probably a good idea but for me it's just a snack so I can't be bothered. I mean if you're going to use veges and what not why not just use noodles since they're easier to work with, especially with stir fry veges. I think TVP or variants would work better (iirc I've tried it before).
I thought noodles were a type of pasta....? Anyways, adding veggies isn't that hard-- just buy frozen ones, and throw them in the frying pan with the pasta. I've done stir fry with just veggies, so there's no reason this wouldn't work.

You are crazy :O

I can't stand having to follow recipes to a tea. I love the freedom and creativity available to mean when mixing a wok or filling a pot.

Just curious, but are you a girl? Maybe partly being male, but while sweets are nice, I don't like them anywhere near enough to raise a hand for them. If I am actually going to put in work to make something, it should generally contain meat~! :D
Yup, I'm a girl ^_^ And I don't eat meat. And I love following instructions. Soooo I guess that makes us complete opposites haha :toast:

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I live with my mum, but I cook for myself. She's weird with food, so I can't cook meat (she says she can smell it on her towels the next morning o_O)

I'd like to start cooking all fancy like the rest of you, but I just don't have the initiative. I usually end up just doing something simple like pasta, which is just cooked filled pasta, a sauce and cubed avocado. I do lemon chicken too, cuz it's delicious.

Can anyone recommend any basic/easy recipes?

Preparing super 1337 college meal.
You will needs.
Eggs, Salt, Pepper, Green Onions, Leeks, Garlic, Noodles, Fish/Chicken Broth. And Fish/Chicken. Raw.

Step 1:
Make Scrambled Eggs

Step 2:
Put salt and pepper on them.

Step 3:
Chop green onions

Step 4:
Chop Leeks

Step 5:
Chop Garlic

Step 6:
Warm dat broth (IF YOU'RE FEELING CRRRRRRRRRAZY. PUT THE CHICKEN AND FISH BROTH.....TOETHERRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

Step 7:
Boil dem noodles.

Step 8:
Grill dat Chicken / Fish. Chop it iunno.

Step 8:
Put it all togetherrrr. (Add some soy sauce if you want :3)
YOU HAVE A PRO1337 COLLEGE MEAL. (Woo Ramennnn)
I'm really a quite horrible cook. Microwaveable stuff for meeeee.

The most gourmet thing I could ever make would be throwing Rotel and Velveeta together in a microwave to make orgasmic queso. Mmmmmmm.

When I'm not lazy, I make things like butter chicken or elaborate fried eggs, hash browns and etc. I like cooking but I often don't have the gumption to do anything about it. I've been told it would help increase my sex appeal but as it stands I'm feeling pretty good in that regard as always.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm a decent cook. I come from a long line of Italians/Sicilians, so it's in my blood. My mom taught me how to make my own sauce, and although I don't do it very often it always comes out great. It becomes its own special occasion, putting aside 5+ hours to cook it all down, tasting and re-tasting it all the while to make sure the flavor is right. So much fun!

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
I definitely have more fun baking than I do cooking, but I do the former muuuch more often than I even attempt the latter. I'm good at preparing delicious spaghetti with plenty of meat in the sauce, and I've actually made pizza before! it's very satisfying making food for yourself to eat, and even more so when it's exceptionally delicious.

Why is it women prefer baking, which is effectively measuring, versus cooking? It's the opposite in men I know. I have seen that occurring all over the place, I wonder if there is some rationale to it?

Why is it women prefer baking, which is effectively measuring, versus cooking? It's the opposite in men I know. I have seen that occurring all over the place, I wonder if there is some rationale to it?
Because cooking has been socialized to be seen as a cliche, feminine characteristic. Women cannot readily enjoy cooking for cooking, because there is always that underlying feeling that they are part of a cliche. Men (and women) see a man who can cook as an accomplishment, when in reality cooking should not be gendered at all and both sexes deserve equal appreciation when it comes to their ability to cook.

I somehow think there's more to it than that- baking is often very sugary and women tend to prefer sugar...maybe I'm just getting biased or sexist now, but it's something neat to ponder.

I somehow think there's more to it than that- baking is often very sugary and women tend to prefer sugar...maybe I'm just getting biased or sexist now, but it's something neat to ponder.
Just because Fishy and I both enjoy baking over cooking and the male posters here don't, it doesn't mean that it applies to all males and females. Besides, I'm quite good at cooking, and I do it all the time. But really, my love of baking comes from my love of measurements and all things precise, so it's not like I'm trying to "break the mold" or anything. And yes, I like sweets, but no more than anyone else I know, including guys.

Listen, Kitty Cat, it's adorable how you have so many misconceptions about women; I'm gonna need to correct them, though ;)

No I was speaking from personal experience, my dear, it just so happens that the anecdotal evidence of you and fishy fits in with scores of other anecdotal evidence...which typically amounts to jack shit scientifically so it shall remain as something to ponder.

You'll never change me!! >:(

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Isn't it just that men often have low attention span or annoyance with details, while women have much more tolerance for it and can multi-task (obviously lanturn above enjoys measuring, which I will not be able to understand :O). This is quite admiral in my book, and I don't think Kitty meant any harm in his observation, which is somewhat fair as far as generalizations go.

In cooking, straying from the plan and experimenting almost always becomes genius-- after all, as you cook, you can taste, and if it tastes bad, fix it with more experimentation. In baking, unless you really understand the underlying chemistry, doing such can make the ingredients explode or deflate and put you out all the money you spent on making it (meaning most normal non-chemist bakers should follow the instructions exactly . . .). D: So yeah, not a fan of the process itself.

Then there is the product itself. While male and female bodies are far more similar than they are different, if we had to talk about (inflate) the differences, men are simply wired to love foods packed with protein-- our bodies crave it in order to build muscle for physical labor (and fighting with the wild, lol). Meanwhile woman . . . well, let's face it, women are more designed for energy conservation and survival (of say, cold winters), and have a much stronger interest in cheesecake, fruit, and other foods that contain high amounts of sugar.

I never "crave" a cake bad enough to make one. I crave a steak, or some meat-sauce spaghetti, or slab of grilled salmon. Thankfully, I (and other men too I guess) are more easily wired to making the later and not the former. :P Other-wise with starve to death during the "bachelor pade" stage of life, though I have a friend who is surviving this stage (into his late 30s) eating nothing but prepared food from convenient stores. :S

Oh and also, here's a real cultural twist-- in ancient Hawaii (my home town is Hawaii) women were forbidden to prepare food! From tending the fields, to catching fish, to the preparation of meals, all labor involving food was considered "male work." Women did a lot more direct child-rearing and clothe making.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah I think its a social thing. Cooking is more utilitarian. Somebody has to cook.

Baking on the other hand is not something anyone really ever has to do (aside from bakers obviously). So at some point in their lives men are going to end up cooking and they may enjoy it. I simply never bake because I never ever have even the slightest reason for doing so.

Girls on the other hand are much more likely to have been brought up to bake. I didint know any guys who had an easybake oven as a kid, but I know a lot of girls who did.

Have a nice day.

I'm 15 and live with my parents and siblings but I cook the most in the house, like 5-6 times a week. My parents started to work longer hours, so I had to cook for my sister and brother (he's older but I do more work, fuck). I just cook stuff like spaghetti bolognase and stir frys and stuff. I cooked roast chicken yesterday and it was awesome.

This is my best piece of advice, sweet chili sauce goes a long way for anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)