[COMPLETED] Mandibuzz

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah SubRoost is better for AC. Maybe we could mention a faster spread in the AC for SubRoost, to stall out strong but slower special attackers? Is there anything notable that Mandibuzz can outspeed with max Speed + Timid?
I did a quick check and here are some of the notable things that max speed Mandibuzz is faster than:
- Adamant / 252 Lucario
- Timid / 252 Heatran
- Timid Smeargle
- Timid 252 / Jolly 252 | Politoed / Breloom
- Adamant 252 Mamoswine / Dragonite
- Jolly 252 Scizor
- Timid 252 Gorebyss / Magnezone
(everything below these as well)

The only real 'slow, special attackers' here appear to be Heatran, Magnezone & Gorebyss before a Shell Smash / Swift Swim boost. Make with this list what you will but take not that I don't know if there are any relevant XY Pokemon here either.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
1st set comments said:
Since Mandibuzz is weak to Stealth Rock, it also greatly appreciates Rapid Spin support from teammates such as Assault Vest Excadrill.</p>
Explain why Excadrill and not other anti-hazard mons.

On the second set, remove the mention of U-turn as Defog + Taunt are necessary to deal with entry hazard users and the two other moves are musts anyway. Also, explain a bit how Defog + Taunt Mandibuzz beats most hazard users one on one, including Stealth Rock Tyranitar, Spikes Ferrothorn, Spikes / SR Ferrothorn, Spikes / SR Forretress, and Spikes Skarmory.

Also, add a couple of teammates that cover Mandibuzz's weaknesses on the second set.

Do those and i will stamp it.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Explain why Excadrill and not other anti-hazard mons.

On the second set, remove the mention of U-turn as Defog + Taunt are necessary to deal with entry hazard users and the two other moves are musts anyway. Also, explain a bit how Defog + Taunt Mandibuzz beats most hazard users one on one, including Stealth Rock Tyranitar, Spikes Ferrothorn, Spikes / SR Ferrothorn, Spikes / SR Forretress, and Spikes Skarmory.

Also, add a couple of teammates that cover Mandibuzz's weaknesses on the second set.

Do those and i will stamp it.
Hey alex, added a bit about Excadrill's excellent synergy.

I removed the U-Turn reference and explained the use of Taunt a bit more. I also added a few good teammates, so this is awaiting your stamp!

I take it you don't think Knock Off is AC worthy?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Change the phrase ''type synergy'' to ''defensive synergy''. Knock Off is great but can only fit on the first set, as i would never use Knock Off as my only attacking move. You can mention it in the set comments of the first set.

QC APPROVED 3/3

Foul Play's damage output is determined by the opponent's Attack, rather than the user's, therefore a Bold nature is utilized for the sake of reducing damage from opposing Foul Play 'mons and confusion.

Shroomisaur

Change the phrase ''type synergy'' to ''defensive synergy''. Knock Off is great but can only fit on the first set, as i would never use Knock Off as my only attacking move. You can mention it in the set comments of the first set.

QC APPROVED 3/3
I will add a comment about Knock Off, but also stress that Mandibuzz has great difficulty giving up a moveslot for it. Thanks for the stamp!

This is up for GP now!

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Shroomisaur

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>It possesses excellent 110/105/95 defenses and reliable recovery in Roost.</li>
<li>Base 80 Speed is surprisingly good for a very defensive Pokemon.</li>
<li>Mandibuzz's typing gives it immunities to Psychic and Ground, (RC) and key resistances to Ghost and Dark combined with Fighting neutrality, making it one of the very best counters to Aegislash available.</li>
<li>Foul Play allows Mandibuzz to deal heavy damage to opposing physical attackers.</li>
<li>It packs a large number of support options, including Defog.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Mandibuzz has terrible offensive stats so it must rely on Foul Play or Toxic for damage, making it very predictable.</li>
<li>Its typing gives it weaknesses to common attacks.</li>
<li>A weakness to Stealth Rock greatly reduces its defensive potential.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>name: Stallbreaker<br />
move 1: Foul Play<br />
move 2: Roost<br />
move 3: Taunt<br />
move 4: Toxic / Whirlwind<br />
ability: Overcoat<br />
item: Leftovers<br />
evs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe<br />
nature: Bold</p>

<p>Although one of the best defensive Pokemon in BW NU, Mandibuzz was rarely seen outside of the lower tiers last generation. On paper, Mandibuzz received an additional weakness to Fairy-type moves and little else. However, with the Steel-type nerf causing Ghost- and Dark-type moves to jump in popularity, Mandibuzz's typing gives it these two key resistances combined with neutrality to Fighting-type moves. This allows Mandibuzz to counter many popular threats that rely on Ghost / Fighting or Dark / Fighting coverage, including Aegislash and Gengar. Add in Mandibuzz's excellent defensive stats and immunities to Ground- and Psychic-type attacks, and Mandibuzz becomes a real defensive threat in XY.</p>

<p>Foul Play is one of the biggest factors to Mandibuzz's success, as it allows Mandibuzz to bypass its own terrible offensive stats by using the opponent's Attack stat. Foul Play deals heavy damage to opposing physical Pokemon, while a Bold nature and defensive investment protects Mandibuzz. For example, standard bulky Dragon Dance Gyarados fails to deal 26% damage with Waterfall while Foul Play is a guaranteed 2HKO in return. Combined with reliable recovery in Roost, Mandibuzz is an great counter to many physical threats. However, Mandibuzz is also surprisingly fast for a defensive Pokemon, and access to Taunt allows it to perform as an amazing stallbreaker. Taunt prevents opposing Pokemon from setting up, healing, or using status moves against Mandibuzz, which combines well with Toxic in the final slot to stall out defensive Pokemon. Whirlwind is a great option on more defensive stall teams, as it racks up entry hazard damage while forcing out special setup sweepers.</p>

<p>The 52 Speed EVs allow Mandibuzz to outspeed defensive Rotom-A, while the rest are invested in bulk. Overcoat is Mandibuzz's ability of choice, protecting it from Sandstorm damage as well as Spore and Sleep Powder. Substitute is a good option in place of Taunt on this set, as it allows Mandibuzz to utilize the SubRoost combination to stall out slower threats. Knock Off is another good support option, but Mandibuzz will have great difficulty giving up any of the listed moves. Mandibuzz appreciates teammates that can handle powerful special attacks, such as Blissey and specially defensive Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur. Since Because Mandibuzz is weak to Stealth Rock, it also greatly appreciates Rapid Spin support from teammates. Assault Vest Excadrill is a reliable choice and has excellent defensive synergy with Mandibuzz.</p>

<p>name: Anti-Entry Hazards<br />
move 3: Defog<br />
move 4: Taunt<br />
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD<br />

<p>The newly buffed Defog now removes all entry hazards from play, and Mandibuzz is a great user. With excellent defenses, typing, and reliable recovery in Roost, Mandibuzz can switch in repeatedly and use Defog to support your team. Taunt is important as it allows Mandibuzz to defeat opposing entry hazard setters one on one. By Taunting opponents such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, Skarmory, or Stealth Rock Tyranitar, Mandibuzz ensures that these Pokemon cannot set up entry hazards again after Mandibuzz removes them with Defog.</p>

<p>The EVs provide maximum physical bulk to help Mandibuzz check physical threats such as Talonflame. This set works best with more offensive teammates, especially those that fear Stealth Rock, (AC) such as Talonflame, Charizard, or Volcarona. Rotom-W, Magnezone, and Metagross all have decent special defense, solid offenses, and good defensive synergy with Mandibuzz.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Although Mandibuzz is very durable, without Special Defense investment it is vulnerable to powerful special attackers. This is made worse due to the fact that Foul Play copies their low Attack stats and struggles to damage them. Greninja, Magnezone, Zapdos, and Mega Manectric are examples that can defeat Mandibuzz with super effective special attacks. Fairy-type Pokemon such as Florges or Togekiss also give Mandibuzz trouble, since as they resist Foul Play and can threaten with super effective STAB attacks. Although Mandibuzz usually carries Taunt, it is ruined by faster Toxic users. Crobat and Gliscor are great Toxic users and have a faster Taunt of their own, while Tentacruel is also an excellent choice. Mandibuzz is weak to Rock, so keeping Stealth Rock up will greatly hinder Mandibuzz. Tyranitar and Mamoswine are great users that also threaten Mandibuzz. Finally, although bulky, Mandibuzz can be overwhelmed by incredibly powerful attacks from the likes of Mega Kangaskahn.</p>

1/1

This was one of the most visually pleasing and informative analyses I've ever read. Massive props to you.

Last edited:

Shroomisaur

1/1

This was one of the most visually pleasing and informative analyses I've ever read. Massive props to you.
Thank you very much Gato, I appreciate that! Glad you liked the analysis. Thanks for the GP as well, everything has been implemented.

Mandibuzz is COMPLETE!

Using Mandibuzz, Its main niche is Defog and I think it should be the number one set. Taunt isn't mandatory on the Defog set. Most Pokemon you Taunt you do very little, e.g. (Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Faries, etc), and then they switch to a hard counter (there are plenty of these in OU) and you have wasted a turn with Taunt. This is why I think U-turn should be slashed first. Mandibuzz doesn't excel at walling a large portion of OU and doesn't have the time to stall (it isn't only for stalling) with Taunt if you are sacrificing a move for Defog. And no Rapid Spinner or Defog user has ever relied on Taunt.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Using Mandibuzz, Its main niche is Defog and I think it should be the number one set. Taunt isn't mandatory on the Defog set. Most Pokemon you Taunt you do very little, e.g. (Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Faries, etc), and then they switch to a hard counter (there are plenty of these in OU) and you have wasted a turn with Taunt. This is why I think U-turn should be slashed first. Mandibuzz doesn't excel at walling a large portion of OU and doesn't have the time to stall (it isn't only for stalling) with Taunt if you are sacrificing a move for Defog. And no Rapid Spinner or Defog user has ever relied on Taunt.
Without Taunt the battle against hazard setters turns into a stall war that you can't always win. For example, Ferrothorn uses Leech Seed and then spams Stealth Rock, Skarmory can pp stall you or Taunt you, etc. You need Taunt if you want to have a reliable anti-hazard mon.

I've seen some rocky helmet mandibuzzes switching in on pre-set up khan to great success, essentially they switch in on the pu punch, brave the return next turn and kill with foul play.

This is an amazing QC, but I noticed that you haven't made any mention of knock-off whatsoever. It got a boost to 65 BP this gen, and it gets a 50% boost every time it knocks off an item. As such, a Knock Off + Whirlwind set might be viable to hinder enemies that rely on items. Unfortunately, it can't knock off mega evo stones. Even so, 97.5 BP the first turn as well as removing an item is nothing to laugh at.

Better to run Impish nature with Knock Off, Bold (with 0 Att IVs) with Foul Play.. not much to mention besides that though

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Why can't we just merge both sets into one? They share three moves, and don't really play any differently, to be perfectly honest.

<p>name: Utility<br />
move 3: Taunt<br />
move 4: Defog / Toxic / Whirlwind<br />
evs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spe<br />

AC: Strong mention of Knock Off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)