Cawmodore [QC: 2/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

[OVERVIEW]
+Cawmodore is an effective setup sweeper making use of Belly Drum
+An excellent defensive typing allows for setup on many Pokemon, including titans like Landorus-T, Chansey, and Ferrothorn.
+Access to STAB priority in Bullet Punch allows Cawmodore to take on Pokemon faster than itself like Kerfluffle, Syclant, and Stratagem.
+Doesn't require play around any Terrains, as Hawlucha does.
+Volt Absorb allows Cawmodore to be immune to Thunder Wave, which otherwise could easily stop its sweep. It also greatly improves its matchup against Tapu Koko, Krilowatt, and Rotom-Wash.
-Cawmodore's performance is heavily influenced by team matchup; if the opponent carries even one of its checks, it cannot set up and essentially becomes dead weight, but if the opponent lacks a check, it can win matches instantly after setting up.
-Many Electric-types, like Zapdos and Cyclohm, will run Fire-type coverage anyway and can still beat Cawmodore.
-Very common Pokemon in the CAP metagame, like Tomohawk, Cyclohm, and Choice Scarf Volkraken, can easily end a sweep once it has begun.
-Cawmodore tends to be very predictable, with high awareness of and preparation for its most viable and unchanging set.
-Cawmodore only has one real chance to set up during the match
-It's hard for Cawmodore to switch in when Stealth Rock is in use against your team, as it can't afford to lose HP before setting up

[SET]
name: Belly Drum
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: Acrobatics
move 3: Drain Punch
move 4: Bullet Punch
item: Sitrus Berry
ability: Volt Absorb
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
-Belly Drum drastically buffs Cawmodore's Attack at the steep cost of half of its HP.
-Acrobatics is the primary move for dealing damage on this set. Once Cawmodore sets up and loses its Sitrus Berry, Acrobatics will OHKO most things that don't resist it. Some notable things that resist Flying that Acrobatics has the chance to OHKO include Kitsunoh, Plasmanta, Mega Mawile, and Tapu Koko.
-Drain Punch allows Cawmodore to OHKO some of the Pokemon that Acrobatics could not, specifically Heatran and Tyranitar. It's also useful against anything the user knows it can OHKO, as it allows Cawmodore to have more HP with which to survive priority moves.
-Bullet Punch is primarily for OHKOing Pokemon faster than Cawmodore, such as Kerfluffle, Stratagem, Syclant without Focus Sash, and Mega Alakazam. Bullet Punch will also OHKO Tornadus-T after Stealth Rock damage, and will OHKO Mega Lopunny 50% of the time after one layer of Spikes. This move is also useful for evading Sucker Punch, as its use prevents it from activating on slower Pokemon like Colossoil and Mega Mawile.

Set Details
========
-4 HP EVs is necessary to bring Cawmodore's HP up to an even number so that Belly Drum will be able to bring Cawmodore down to exactly half health and consume its Sitrus Berry, restoring its HP and powering up Acrobatics.
-252 Speed EVs with Jolly is vital for allowing Cawmodore to be able to outspeed and KO as much as possible. Without Jolly, Cawmodore will lose out to Krilowatt, Keldeo, Fidgit, Kitsunoh, Latias, and Latios.
-252 Attack EVs is important to make sure Cawmodore deals as much physical damage as possible.
-Sitrus Berry allows Cawmodore to both power up Acrobatics and regain HP immediately after setting up, the former of which is vital for being to OHKO Pokemon, while the second is important for being able to take priority moves and keep going.

Usage Tips
========
-Throughout the match, keep Cawmodore's health intact until it can set up safely; due to the nature of Belly Drum, it only gets one real chance to do this.
-Once these are gone or severely weakened, some Pokemon that Cawmodore can usually set up easily on include Chansey, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Landorus-T, and Mega Scizor.
-Once Cawmodore is set up, everything is largely a matter of what move to select. Acrobatics, as previously mentioned, will OHKO most things. Drain Punch is recommended against anything it will OHKO, as HP recovery will be helpful. Drain Punch is also advisable against slower Pokemon with Focus Sash in order to regain HP before the opponent's attack, assuming it will be able to survive.
-Bullet Punch is the most effective option against Mega Crucibelle, having a chance to OHKO it, even if Mega Crucibelle is at +1 Defense. In addition, it should be used against faster Pokemon that can OHKO Cawmodore, or when the player predicts that the opponent is going to use Sucker Punch, as this will cause Sucker Punch to fail on slower Pokemon.
-You can use the threat of Cawmodore potentially earning a sweep to force an opponent to play more conservatively with their Cawmodore checks, thereby making them easier to predict.
-If Cawmodore is unable to set up, settle for using it without boosts, such as by picking off faster Pokemon with Bullet Punch. Cawmodore can also use its great defensive typing and ability to switch in on Pokemon like Landorus-T, Excadrill, and certain sets of Plasmanta, as well as absorb Toxic and Thunder Wave and deter VoltTurn strategies.

Team Options
========
-Spikes Greninja is a good teammate for Cawmodore, as it is capable of taking on some of Cawmodore's biggest checks and counters, especially Tomohawk, Cyclohm, and Volkraken. Having Spikes set up also guarantees more OHKOs for Cawmodore, as well as opening up the possibility for ones it could previously not get, including a guaranteed OHKO on Magearna with Drain Punch after three Spikes layers.
-As an extension, hazards are helpful to Cawmodore in general. Spikes setters include Arghonaut and Greninja, which both work well with Cawmodore thanks to their Fire resistance. Stealth Rock can be set by the likes of Mollux and Heatran. Good Toxic Spikes setters such as Toxapex and Pajantom work as well. Both Spikes and Stealth Rock help it to secure more OHKOs, with Spikes being especially helpful for breaking the common Focus Sash of the Stealth Rock-immune Syclant. Furthermore, Tapu Koko cannot be OHKOed before hazard damage, and Stealth Rock gives a chance of an OHKO against Tornadus-T. Toxic Spikes helps Cawmodore to pressure Arghonaut and Cyclohm, as they will lose due to Toxic damage if they must switch in on Cawmodore's boosted Acrobatics.
-Kyurem-B's potent offensive stats, combined with its access to STAB Ice Beam and a powerful Subzero Slammer, make it a potent teammate for its ability to take out Tomohawk and Cyclohm with little opposition. Reciprocally, Cawmodore can set up on notable stops to Kyurem-B like Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor.
-Fairy-type Pokemon are viable teammates for the reason that they are capable of easily eliminating Tomohawk and Cyclohm. In addition, Rotom-W and Mega Manectric are incapable of doing very much to remove them from the battle. Tapu Koko is especially notable because it can bring in Pokemon like Landorus-T, Chansey, and Tapu Bulu before pivoting out to Cawmodore and providing it with a setup opportunity.
-Ground-type Pokemon like Zygarde, Landorus-T, and Colossoil are similarly good for drawing out Pokemon like Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, and Tapu Bulu that Cawmodore can set up on. Also valuable is that SubToxic Zygarde can take on Tomohawk, as can Flyinium-Z Landorus-T.
-Hazard removal Pokemon like Rotom-W, Latias, Latios, and Mollux are important for Cawmodore, as it appreciates every bit of HP it can retain while attempting to set up. The examples listed are also good Pokemon to switch into when Cawmodore meets an opposing Fire-type on the field.
-Sticky Web, most likely coming from Necturna or Smeargle, can be very helpful to Cawmodore, as it enables it to defeat faster Pokemon that resist Bullet Punch, including Mega Manectric, Greninja, and many of the Choice Scarf users that check Cawmodore, like Volkraken, and Tapu Lele.
-Screen moves (Aurora Veil, Light Screen, Reflect) can be used by Pokemon like Ninetales-A, Klefki, and Fidgit, granting Cawmodore more setup opportunities.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
-Knock Off can be run in the place of Drain Punch. Notably, it guarantees an OHKO on bulkier variants of Kitsunoh and Jirachi, but beyond this its scope is rather limited, dealing only 12.1% more minimum damage on Celesteela, for example, than Drain Punch. The lack of recovery is also something to be missed. There is also a fair chance to OHKO Rotom-W and Zapdos after Stealth Rock damage.
-A Salac Berry set with Substitute / Belly Drum / Acrobatics / Drain Punch is plausible and allows Cawmodore to outspeed and defeat some of the checks to its regular set, including Greninja, Mega Pidgeot, and Tornadus-T, as well as Choice Scarf users like Volkraken, Tapu Lele, and Keldeo. This set requires that only 29 HP IVs are used (or 30 HP IVs with the extra 4 HP IVs placed elsewhere) so that Cawmodore's HP will be 240, a number divisible by 4 so that the Salac Berry will be used after one Substitute and one Belly Drum. However, this set is more difficult to set up with than the standard Sitrus Berry set, as all counters must first be removed from play, along with priority users like Mega Mawile, Colossoil, and Crawdaunt, and in addition Cawmodore needs a turn to set up Substitute without it breaking.
-A Z-Crystal set is possible on Cawmodore that allows it to act as a wallbreaker earlier on in the game. This Flyinium Z set has two possible main variants, with the first being Belly Drum / Sky Attack / Drill Peck / Drain Punch or Bullet Punch, and the second being Belly Drum / Fly / Drain Punch / Bullet Punch. Sky Attack actually gives Cawmodore a chance to OHKO Tomohawk if its boosts have been removed via Haze. It also does between 78.5 and 92.3% against a fully defensive Cyclohm and OHKOs Rotom-W. However, this only gives Cawmodore one practical opportunity to use its Flying-type STAB attack against the Pokemon that resist Drain Punch and Bullet Punch, making Drill Peck important. The set with Fly cannot OHKO Tomohawk from full HP using Supersonic Skystrike, but the invulnerability turn of Fly grants Cawmodore more freedom to run both Drain Punch and Bullet Punch on the same set. Altogether, the opportunity cost is rather high to give Cawmodore a Z-Crystal, given other powerful Z-Move users like Icium Z Kyurem-B and Magearna.
-Intimidate is possible to use, as it can make setting up Cawmodore easier. Notably, Cawmodore will take less than 75% damage from a -1 Attack Mega Crucibelle using Head Smash. However, Cawmodore will lose its immunity, causing difficulty with Rotom-Wash and Xurkitree, as well as the loss of setup opportunities against Choice-locked Magnezone and some Magearna sets.
-Iron Head is an option for scoring a 2HKO against Unaware Clefable.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Unaware**: Pokemon like Clefable, Arghonaut, and Quagsire can all tolerate damage from Cawmodore and deal it back and recover. Clefable has Fire Blast and Softboiled and Quagsire with Scald and Recover for this purpose. Arghonaut will still take substantial damage from Acrobatics, but it can phaze Cawmodore out with Circle Throw.

**Electric-Types**: Physically defensive Cyclohm has the distinction of being able to restore more HP per turn than Cawmodore can deal to it via a combination of Leftovers and Slack Off, making it a true Cawmodore counter. In addition, it has the chance to OHKO Cawmodore with Fire Blast. Rotom-W doesn't reach quite the same level of defensive prowess, but Cawmodore only 2HKOs it, giving it room to check by using Will-O-Wisp on Cawmodore. Once it does this, it actually has a fair chance to survive a second attack from Cawmodore, largely thanks to Leftovers, meaning it can use Pain Split to restore itself, followed by Hydro Pump to remove Cawmodore. Zapdos can take a hit from Cawmodore and get a chance to KO it using Heat Wave. Mega Manectric checks Cawmodore, outspeeding it, easily surviving a Bullet Punch, and OHKOing back with Flamethrower.

**Tomohawk**: Physically defensive Tomohawk is able to check Cawmodore thanks to its access to Prankster and Haze, meaning it can remove Cawmodore's boost before getting hit by Acrobatics. Also, Bullet Punch will take away less than 40% of Tomohawk's HP. Sets that run Rocky Helmet will be able to get rid of Cawmodore via chip damage and continuous use of Roost, as Acrobatics without any boosts will only take away a bit more than half of Tomohawk's HP.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory only loses about half of its health to Cawmodore once it has set up, meaning it can easily use Counter or Whirlwind to end Cawmodore's sweep.

**Faster Water-Types**: Greninja, Greninja-Ash, and Mega Sharpedo can all easily survive a fully-boosted Bullet Punch and KO Cawmodore in return with STAB moves. Greninja and Greninja-Ash will both deal KO a Cawmodore at 75% with Hydro Pump, while a Crunch from a Mega Sharpedo has over a 90% chance of KOing at this percent with Crunch.

**Choice Scarf Special Attackers**: Many Water-type or Fire-type Pokemon with Choice Scarf can easily take a resisted Bullet Punch and OHKO Cawmodore, Volkraken and Keldeo being good examples of this. Tapu Lele only has about a 50% chance to KO with Hidden Power Fire, but Psychic Terrain prevents Cawmodore from using Bullet Punch, so Pokemon like Kerfluffle and Syclant can finish Cawmodore if Tapu Lele fails to. Some rarer Choice Scarf users like Victini can also check Cawmodore, as can Blacephalon as long as it does not take Stealth Rock damage.

Last edited:
I still need to go back and add Team Options and Other Options. Also, I'll need to rearrange the Checks and Counters section so that things are listed in order of relevance. Does anyone have anything to say about what I've written so far?

I still need to go back and add Team Options and Other Options. Also, I'll need to rearrange the Checks and Counters section so that things are listed in order of relevance. Does anyone have anything to say about what I've written so far?
The only thing that comes to mind immediately is that personally I think you should mention Psychic Terrian. For one, it allows Choice Scarf Lele to revenge kill Cawm but it also means that Cawm can't use Bullet Punch against faster Pokémon that it could usually KO like Syclant, Kerfluffle and Choice Scarf Gengar.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
All Greninja variants are a really good checks to Cawm unless SubSalac

+6 252 Atk Cawmodore Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja-Ash: 142-168 (49.8 - 58.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Take my words with a grain of salt if you desire.

Unless your fighting someone on low ladder, everyone and their mother knows what a Cawmodore will do 95% of the time. Possibly mention that its predictable in pros and cons, and doesn't have any ways around its checks besides that? Tomohawk can just Air Slash/Hurricane Cawm to death, since Drain Punch will never outheal the damage, so this might be important to include. As for teammates, I've been told that Spikes Gren is a pretty awesome teammate, as it can eliminate the Cawmodore death brigade known as Clohm, Kraken, and Tomo, while also setting up spikes for Cawm to kill stuff.

I would also mention the Flyinium Z or Fightinium Z sets as another set. They are viable imo, and can blow past some of its counters but only do so while trading with its reliability to setup. (They also have different usage tips which merit a different set rather than a slash).

Edit: A Z-Crystal set I meant, not two separate sets like one Fly-Z set and one Fight-Z set.

The only thing that comes to mind immediately is that personally I think you should mention Psychic Terrian. For one, it allows Choice Scarf Lele to revenge kill Cawm but it also means that Cawm can't use Bullet Punch against faster Pokémon that it could usually KO like Syclant, Kerfluffle and Choice Scarf Gengar.
Tapu Lele and Psychic Terrain has been added to the section on Checks and Counters.

All Greninja variants are a really good checks to Cawm unless SubSalac

+6 252 Atk Cawmodore Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja-Ash: 142-168 (49.8 - 58.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
Greninja has been added to the section on Checks and Counters.

Take my words with a grain of salt if you desire.

Unless your fighting someone on low ladder, everyone and their mother knows what a Cawmodore will do 95% of the time. Possibly mention that its predictable in pros and cons, and doesn't have any ways around its checks besides that? Tomohawk can just Air Slash/Hurricane Cawm to death, since Drain Punch will never outheal the damage, so this might be important to include. As for teammates, I've been told that Spikes Gren is a pretty awesome teammate, as it can eliminate the Cawmodore death brigade known as Clohm, Kraken, and Tomo, while also setting up spikes for Cawm to kill stuff.
The note on predictability has been added to the Overview. Also, Spikes Greninja has been listed as a Team Option.

I would also mention the Flyinium Z or Fightinium Z sets as another set. They are viable imo, and can blow past some of its counters but only do so while trading with its reliability to setup. (They also have different usage tips which merit a different set rather than a slash).

Edit: A Z-Crystal set I meant, not two separate sets like one Fly-Z set and one Fight-Z set.
I put the Z-Crystal set in Other Options. I won't move them to a full set unless I test them and find them to be equally viable. I left out Fightinium Z because I feel like there isn't much it accomplishes besides an OHKO on Celesteela.

Thank you all for your help!

snake

CAP Co-Leader

[OVERVIEW]
+An excellent defensive typing allows for setup on many Pokemon, including defensive titans like Chansey and Ferrothorn.
+Volt Absorb allows Cawmodore to be immune to Thunder Wave, which otherwise could easily stop its sweep. what else does it do?
+Access to STAB priority in Bullet Punch allows Cawmodore to take on Pokemon faster than itself. pokemon such as?
-Very common Pokemon in the CAP metagame, like Tomohawk, Cyclohm, and Choice Scarf Volkraken, can easily end a sweep once it has begun.
-Cawmodore tends to be very predictable, with high awareness of and preparation for its most viable and unchanging set.
-has one opportunity to set up
-hard to afford forcing switches if rocks are up because it cuts into HP

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
-Belly Drum is the core of Cawmodore's viability, allowing it to OHKO most Pokemon after a single turn. Belly Drum doesn't allow this, the moves it uses does, if that makes sense...i'd just say that it buffs its attack a bunch at a steep cost
-Acrobatics is the primary move for dealing damage on this set. Once Cawmodore sets up and loses its item which item?, Acrobatics will OHKO most things that don't resist it. Some notable things that resist Flying that Acrobatics has the chance to OHKO include Kitsunoh, Plasmanta, Mega Mawile, and Tapu Koko.
-Drain Punch allows Cawmodore to OHKO some of the Pokemon that Acrobatics could not, specifically Heatran and Tyranitar. It's also useful against anything the user knows it can OHKO, as it allows Cawmodore to have more HP with which to survive priority moves.
-Bullet Punch is primarily for taking out Pokemon faster than Cawmodore, such as Kerfluffle, Stratagem, Syclant, and Mega Alakazam. It is worth noting that this move is not quite an OHKO on Mega Lopunny or Tornadus -T. Against Mega Lopunny, a minimum of about 80% damage will be dealt, while Assault Vest Tornadus Therian will only take a minimum of 68.9%. I like these examples, but I would just say which ones need "prior damage" to OHKO This move is also useful for evading Sucker Punch, as its use prevents it from activating on slower Pokemon like Colossoil and Mega Mawile.

Set Details
========
-4 HP EVs is necessary to make it so that Belly Drum will be able to bring Cawmodore down to exactly half health and consume its Sitrus Berry, restoring its HP and powering up Acrobatics. Mention the even number, that's helpful to understand
-252 Speed EVs with Jolly is vital for allowing Cawmodore to be able to outspeed and KO as much as possible. Without Jolly, Cawmodore will Speed tie with Pokemon with 103 base Speed at full investment with a boosting nature and lose to those with higher base Speeds and similar investments. The most notable Pokemon that Cawmodore would lose out to without Jolly include Mega Sharpedo (which can KO Cawmodore at 75% with Crunch), Keldeo, Latios (at full HP), and Mega Gallade.on the flipside, this is too confuing. just say that if you don't run Jolly, you lose out to threats like krilowatt and stuff. important that you outspeed mega crucibelle
-252 Attack EVs is important to make sure Cawmodore deals as much physical damage as possible.
-Sitrus Berry allows Cawmodore to both power up Acrobatics and regain HP immediately after setting up, the former of which is vital for being to OHKO Pokemon, while the second is important for being able to take priority moves and keep going.

Usage Tips
========
-Cawmodore is, by nature, an endgame Pokemon. It can only function to its fullest once the Pokemon that check and counter it, listed at the bottom of this analysis, have been removed from play or weakened to the point that Cawmodore can actually pick them off itself.
-Once these are gone or severely weakened, some Pokemon that Cawmodore can usually set up easily on include Chansey, Dugtrio, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Jirachi lacking Fire Punch, Landorus-T, Mega Scizor, Tapu Koko. Koko can Taunt, imo a bad example. Rachi is too underused imo to be mentioned
-If possible, avoid setting up against a Pokemon that can status Cawmodore, as only having its Attack boosted to two times the usual greatly hinders its utility, and being paralyzed or asleep make it very easy to pick off. Pokemon that can burn include Kitsunoh and Necturna. Malaconda is able to paralyze with Glare, and Breloom or Smeargle can put it to sleep via Spore.
- You can send in Cawmodore, force in the opp into a check, then double out into your own check, but you don't want cawm to take chip damage.
-If no opportunity exists for Cawmodore to set up, it might be better for it not to attempt to, instead opting for some regular attacking. It can still be of use, especially using Bullet Punch to pick off fast offensive Pokemon that have been weakened.
-Once Cawmodore is set up, everything is largely a matter of what move to select. Acrobatics, as previously mentioned, will OHKO most things. Drain Punch is recommended against anything it will OHKO, as HP recovery will be helpful. Drain Punch is also advisable against slower Pokemon with Focus Sash in order to regain HP before the opponent's attack, assuming it will be able to survive.
-Bullet Punch is the most effective option against Mega Crucibelle, having a chance to OHKO it, even if Mega Crucibelle is at +1 Defense. Bullet Punch should also be used when the player predicts that the opponent is going to use Sucker Punch, as this will cause Sucker Punch to fail on Pokemon slower than Cawmodore.

Team Options
========
-Spikes Greninja is a good teammate for Cawmodore, as it is capable of taking on some of Cawmodore's biggest checks and counters, especially Tomohawk, Cyclohm, and Volkraken. Having Spikes set up also guarantees more OHKOs for Cawmodore, as well as opening up the possibility for ones it could previously not get, including a guaranteed OHKO on Magearna with Drain Punch after three Spikes layers.
-As an extension, hazards are helpful to Cawmodore in general. Both Spikes and Stealth Rock help it to secure more OHKOs, with Spikes being especially helpful for breaking the common Focus Sash of the Stealth Rock-immune Syclant. Stealth Rock allows for an OHKO on Mega Pidgeot and a good chance of one on Tornadus-T. Either help in weakening the opposing team before Cawmodore sweeps.
-Kyurem-B's potent offensive stats, combined with its access to STAB Ice Beam and a powerful Subzero Slammer, make it a potent teammate for its ability to take out Tomohawk and Cyclohm with little opposition.
-Fairy-type Pokemon are viable teammates for the reason that they are capable of easily eliminating Tomohawk and Cyclohm. In addition, Rotom-W and Mega Manectric are incapable of doing very much to remove them from the battle. Tapu Lele is notable because, if Psychic Terrain is up while Cawmodore sets up, it will be able to avoid Sucker Punch, the most threatening priority move to it given the 50/50s it forces with Bullet Punch.
-Hazard removal is important for Cawmodore, as it appreciates every bit of HP it can retain while attempting to set up.
- Sticky Webs
- Aurora Veil

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
-A Salac Berry set with Substitute / Belly Drum / Acrobatics / Drain Punch is plausible and allows Cawmodore to outspeed and defeat some of the checks to its regular set, including Greninja, Mega Pidgeot, and Tornadus-T, as well as Choice Scarf users like Volkraken, Mollux, and Keldeo. However, this set has fewer opportunities to set up than the standard Sitrus Berry set, no longer being able to take a hit from physical attackers like Colossoil, Excadrill, Landorus-T, or Tapu Bulu. It also loses the ability to set up against Chansey. mention 12 HP evs, 244 atk to get HP stat of 244
-A Z-Crystal set is possible on Cawmodore that allows it to act as a wallbreaker earlier on in the game. This is a Flyinium Z set, with Belly Drum / Sky Attack or Fly / Drill Peck / Drain Punch or Bullet Punch.

Belly Drum / Sky Attack / Drill Peck / Drain Punch or Bullet Punch, then Belly Drum / Fly / Drain Punch / Bullet Punch. Advantage of Fly is the invulnerability turn kinda lets you run both DP and BP

Sky Attack actually gives Cawmodore a chance to OHKO Tomohawk if its boosts have been removed via Haze. It also does between 78.5 and 92.3% against a fully defensive Cyclohm and OHKOs Rotom-W. However, this only gives Cawmodore one practical opportunity to use its Flying-type STAB attack against the Pokemon that resist Drain Punch and Bullet Punch. Also, the opportunity cost is rather high to give Cawmodore a Z-Crystal, given other powerful Z-Move users like Icium Z Kyurem-B and Magearna.
-Knock Off can be run in the place of Drain Punch. Notably, it guarantees an OHKO on bulkier variants of Kitsunoh and Jirachi, but beyond this its scope is rather limited, dealing only 12.1% more minimum damage on Celesteela, for example, than Drain Punch. The lack of recovery is also something to be missed.
-Iron Head to hit Clefable harder

Checks and Counters
=================== Perhaps make a mention at the beginning of the section that it's very hard to counter Cawmodore, but easy to check it if you switch in on the BD turn
**Tomohawk**: Physically defensive Tomohawk is able to check Cawmodore thanks to its access to Prankster and Haze, meaning it can remove Cawmodore's boost before getting hit by Acrobatics. Also, Bullet Punch will take away less than 40% of Tomohawk's HP. Sets that run Rocky Helmet will be able to get rid of Cawmodore via chip damage and continuous use of Roost, as Acrobatics without any boosts will only take away a bit more than half of Tomohawk's HP.

**Electric-types**: Physically defensive Cyclohm has the distinction of being able to restore more HP per turn than Cawmodore can deal to it via a combination of Leftovers and Slack Off, making it a true Cawmodore counter. In addition, it has the chance to OHKO Cawmodore with Fire Blast. Rotom-W doesn't reach quite the same level of defensive prowess, but Cawmodore only 2HKOs it, giving it room to check by using Will-O-Wisp on Cawmodore. Once it does this, it actually has a fair chance to survive a second attack from Cawmodore, largely thanks to Leftovers, meaning it can use Pain Split to restore itself, followed by Hydro Pump to remove Cawmodore. Zapdos can take a hit from Cawmodore and get a chance to KO it using Heat Wave. Mega Manectric checks Cawmodore, outspeeding it, easily surviving a Bullet Punch, and OHKOing back with Flamethrower.

**Unaware**: Pokemon like Clefable, Arghonaut, and, on occasions, Quagsire can all tolerate damage from Cawmodore and deal it back, Clefable with, preferably, Fire Blast and Quagsire with Scald. It is worth noting that Arghonaut will still take substantial damage from Acrobatics, but it is listed here because it can still deal enough damage to make it easier for another priority user to take out Cawmodore.

**Choice Scarf**: Volkraken, Mollux remove this example please, Mollux isn't a good scarfer, and Keldeo are all Pokemon with viable Choice Scarf sets that can both take a Bullet Punch from Cawmodore and OHKO it with one of their STAB boosted moves. Choice Scarf Tapu Lele is especially notable in this category because Psychic Terrain prevents Cawmodore from using Bullet Punch, meaning Pokemon like Kerfluffle and Life Orb Syclant can KO Cawmodore even if Tapu Lele fails to in one hit. Some other, rarer Choice Scarf users like Victini can also easily KO Cawmodore.

**Focus Sash**: Syclant is the primary Pokemon under this category, as Focus Sash variants can outspeed Cawmodore and get a chance to KO it using Ice Beam while Cawmodore is at 75%. Focus Sash Alakazam, while rare, can do the same with Hidden Power Fire or Focus Blast.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory only loses about half of its health to Cawmodore once it has set up, meaning it can easily use Counter or Whirlwind to end Cawmodore's sweep.

**Greninja**: Greninja can easily resist a hit from a fully boosted Bullet Punch and OHKO Cawmodore with Hydro Pump. Dark Pulse and Hidden Power Fire can also do substantial damage, KOing Cawmodore if it is at 75% HP or less.
I'm noticing a lot of "it should be noted" kind of phrases in the analysis. To me, it's fluff, and I don't like it :( I'd remove it, but it's your diction. Implement the comments and I'll take another look at it when I'm not as tired

I'm noticing a lot of "it should be noted" kind of phrases in the analysis. To me, it's fluff, and I don't like it :( I'd remove it, but it's your diction. Implement the comments and I'll take another look at it when I'm not as tired
I implemented almost all of your suggestions. Off the top of my head, the ones I remember excluding were the part about wanting to outspeed Mega Crucibelle (which didn't seem to me a convincing reason to not run Adamant given that Cawmodore, once set up, will OHKO Crucibelle with Bullet Punch) and the part where you mentioned that the SubSalac set needed 12 HP EVs, where I opted instead to note that the HP IVs should be taken down to get a number divisible by 4 so that Cawmodore sacrifices absolutely no damage, important for Pokemon where it only has a chance to OHKO. I'll switch up the diction later on during the transformation from bulleted list to paragraph form.

Thanks again!

(Also, post 200, so that's cool.)

hi,
I was wondering if Normalium Z could get a mention, even as you may think it is outclassed by sitrus berry, being able to recover full health and then set up a belly drum actually allows Cawmodore to switch in on threats like Tapu Koko while not losing any extra damages.

Last edited:

snake

CAP Co-Leader
hi,
I was wondering if Normalium Z could get a mention, even as you may think it is outclassed by sitrus berry, being able to recover full health and then set up a belly drum actually allows Cawmodore to switch in on threats like Tapu Koko while not losing any extra damages.
It might seem like you're easing set-up with Normalium Z, but since Cawmodore is so fast, it's generally not all that worth it. Cawmodore really likes being able to tank moves in the 50% - 75% range with Sitrus sets, but Normalium Z just puts you at 51% and then you have to tank a hit from there. You're more easily KO'ed at that state, and you have a weaker Flying-type STAB. If you're going to risk your Z-Crystal on Cawmodore, Z-Sky Attack seems to net a much better reward.

snake

CAP Co-Leader

[OVERVIEW]
+An excellent defensive typing allows for setup on many Pokemon, including defensive titans like Chansey and Ferrothorn.
+Volt Absorb allows Cawmodore to be immune to Thunder Wave, which otherwise could easily stop its sweep. It also allows it to be immune to possible OHKOs from the Electric-type STAB attacks of Cyclohm, Krilowatt, Plasmanta, Tapu Koko, and Zapdos, giving it the chance to have more than one turn against them, especially after using Drain Punch. However, Cyclohm and Zapdos still run Fire-type moves that can OHKO Cawmodore from full health. most of these have ways to get around volt absorb though, so we can point clohm and zapdos out later. for now mention that their stab moves are blocked and can control the match more easily because of that. move twave to later bc it's much less common this gen
+Access to STAB priority in Bullet Punch allows Cawmodore to take on Pokemon faster than itself like Kerfluffle, Syclant, and Stratagem, weakened scarfers.
-Cawmodore only has one real chance to set up during the match briefly explain why
-It's hard for Cawmodore to switch in when Stealth Rock is in use against your team, as it can't afford to lose HP before setting up
say that it's extremely reliant on OHKOes

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
-Belly Drum drastically buffs Cawmodore's Attack at the steep cost of half of its HP.
-Acrobatics is the primary move for dealing damage on this set. Once Cawmodore sets up and loses its Sitrus Berry, Acrobatics will OHKO most things that don't resist it. Some notable things that resist Flying that Acrobatics has the chance to OHKO include Kitsunoh, Plasmanta, Mega Mawile, and Tapu Koko.merge the last two sentences together
-Drain Punch allows Cawmodore to OHKO some of the Pokemon that Acrobatics could not, specifically Heatran and Tyranitar. It's also useful against anything the user knows it can OHKO, as it allows Cawmodore to have more HP with which to survive priority moves. lets Cawmodore outlast Rotom-W, there might be more examples though
-Bullet Punch is primarily for OHKOing Pokemon faster than Cawmodore, such as Kerfluffle, Stratagem, Syclant without Focus Sash remove Focus Sash mention, obviously it won't OHKO it, and Mega Alakazam. It is worth noting that this move is not quite an OHKO on Mega Lopunny or Tornadus -T. Mega Lopunny and Assault Vest Tornadus-T both need prior damage to be KOd by Bullet Punch. just say that Mega Lopunny and Tornadus-T need to be weakened This move is also useful for evading Sucker Punch, as its use prevents it from activating on slower Pokemon like Colossoil and Mega Mawile.

Set Details
========
-4 HP EVs is necessary to bring Cawmodore's HP up to an even number so that Belly Drum will be able to bring Cawmodore down to exactly half health and consume its Sitrus Berry, restoring its HP and powering up Acrobatics.
-252 Speed EVs with Jolly is vital for allowing Cawmodore to be able to outspeed and KO as much as possible. Without Jolly, Cawmodore will lose out to Krilowatt, Mega Sharpedo Keldeo, Latios (at full HP)remove this mention of full HP, and Mega Gallade.

Usage Tips
========
-Cawmodore is, by nature, an endgame Pokemon. It can only function to its fullest once the Pokemon that check and counter it, listed at the bottom of this analysis remove this mention of where C&C is, have been removed from play or weakened to the point that Cawmodore can actually pick them off itself.
-Once these are gone or severely weakened, some Pokemon that Cawmodore can usually set up easily on include Chansey, Dugtrio, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Landorus-T, and Mega Scizor.
-If possible, avoid setting up against a Pokemon that can status Cawmodore, as only having its Attack boosted to two times the usual greatly hinders its utility, and being paralyzed or asleep make it very easy to pick off. Pokemon that can burn include Kitsunoh and Necturna. Malaconda is able to paralyze with Glare, and Breloom or Smeargle can put it to sleep via Spore.
-If no opportunity exists for Cawmodore to set up, it might be better for it not to attempt to, instead opting for some regular attacking. It can still be of use, especially using Bullet Punch to pick off fast offensive Pokemon that have been weakened.
-Once Cawmodore is set up, everything is largely a matter of what move to select. Acrobatics, as previously mentioned, will OHKO most things. Drain Punch is recommended against anything it will OHKO, as HP recovery will be helpful. you use drain punch against things that a) acro won't KO or b) both will KO, but you want the HP recovery. make this extremely clear (you do it some but it's a little vague) Drain Punch is also advisable against slower Pokemon with Focus Sash which slower mons run Sash? in order to regain HP before the opponent's attack, assuming it will be able to survive.
-Bullet Punch is the most effective option against Mega Crucibelle, having a chance to OHKO it, even if Mega Crucibelle is at +1 Defense. Bullet Punch should also be used when the player predicts that the opponent is going to use Sucker Punch, as this will cause Sucker Punch to fail on Pokemon slower than Cawmodore. which ones? also warn about when you can't OHKO the sucker punch user, you might want to go for drain punch because they might KO you back instead (it's a 50/50)
-The threat to the opponent of Cawmodore possibly setting up is likely to force them to switch into their check for Cawmodore, allowing you to double switch back into your own check for the opponent's Pokemon. One should be careful while doing this, though, as it is imperative that Cawmodore not take chip damage from what?.

Team Options
========
-As an extension, hazards are helpful to Cawmodore in general. Both Spikes and Stealth Rock help it to secure more OHKOs, with Spikes being especially helpful for breaking the common Focus Sash of the Stealth Rock-immune Syclant sounds wordy, just say Spikes breaks Mountaineer Syclant's Focus Sash (it's getting to be a worse item tbh). Stealth Rock allows for an OHKO on Mega Pidgeot and a good chance of one on Tornadus-T. Either help in weakening the opposing team before Cawmodore sweeps.
-Kyurem-B's potent offensive stats, combined with its access to STAB Ice Beam and a powerful Subzero Slammer, make it a potent teammate for its ability to take out Tomohawk and Cyclohm with little opposition.
-Fairy-type Pokemon are viable teammates for the reason that they are capable of easily eliminating Tomohawk and Cyclohm. In addition, Rotom-W and Mega Manectric are incapable of doing very much to remove them from the battle. Tapu Lele is notable because, if Psychic Terrain is up while Cawmodore sets up, it will be able to avoid Sucker Punch no, Cawmodore isn't grounded. Tapu Lele is actually really bad news for cawm, the most threatening priority move to it given the 50/50s it forces with Bullet Punch. which fairy-types?
-Hazard removal is important for Cawmodore, as it appreciates every bit of HP it can retain while attempting to set up. what specific mons?
-Sticky Web, most likely coming from Necturna or Smeargle, can be very helpful to Cawmodore, as it enables it to defeat faster Pokemon that resist Bullet Punch, including Mega Manectric, Greninja, and many of the Choice Scarf users that check Cawmodore, like Volkraken, and Tapu Lele.
-Screen moves (Aurora Veil, Light Screen, Reflect) can be used on what?, granting Cawmodore more setup opportunities.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
-A Salac Berry set with Substitute / Belly Drum / Acrobatics / Drain Punch is plausible and allows Cawmodore to outspeed and defeat some of the checks to its regular set, including Greninja, Mega Pidgeot, and Tornadus-T, as well as Choice Scarf users like Volkraken, Tapu Lele, and Keldeo. This set requires that only 29 HP IVs are used (or 30 HP IVs with the extra 4 HP IVs placed elsewhere) just do 29 HP IVs so that Cawmodore's HP will be 240, a number divisible by 4 so that the Salac Berry will be used after one Substitute and one Belly Drum. However, this set has fewer opportunities to set up than the standard Sitrus Berry set, no longer being able to take a hit from physical attackers like Colossoil, Excadrill, Landorus-T, or Tapu Bulu. It also loses the ability to set up against Chansey actually in this case you just BD, and then seismic toss throws you in salac berry range.
-A Z-Crystal set is possible on Cawmodore that allows it to act as a wallbreaker earlier on in the game. This Flyinium Z set has two possible main variants, with the first being Belly Drum / Sky Attack / Drill Peck / Drain Punch or Bullet Punch, and the second being Belly Drum / Fly / Drain Punch / Bullet Punch. Z-Sky Attack actually gives Cawmodore a chance to OHKO Tomohawk if its boosts have been removed via Haze. It also does between 78.5 and 92.3% against a fully defensive Cyclohm don't get exact percentages imo, just say it almost OHKOs Cyclohm and OHKOs Rotom-W. However, this only gives Cawmodore one practical opportunity to use its Flying-type STAB attack against the Pokemon that resist Drain Punch and Bullet Punch, making Drill Peck important. The set with Fly cannot OHKO Tomohawk from full HP using Supersonic Skystrike, but the invulnerability turn of Fly grants Cawmodore this on paper is a pretty huge step in logic: fly is a two turn move; therefore you can run DP and BP. it'd make sense if you explained how Fly is a balance between Sky Attack's huge base power and Drill Peck's reliability more freedom to run both Drain Punch and Bullet Punch on the same set. Altogether, the opportunity cost is rather high to give Cawmodore a Z-Crystal, given other powerful Z-Move users like Icium Z Kyurem-B and Magearna.
-Knock Off can be run in the place of Drain Punch. Notably, it guarantees an OHKO on bulkier variants of Kitsunoh and Jirachi, but beyond this its scope is rather limited, dealing only 12.1% more minimum damage on Celesteela, for example, than Drain Punch. The lack of recovery is also something to be missed.
-Iron Head is an option for scoring a 2HKO against Unaware Clefable, which would otherwise stall it out.

Checks and Counters
===================
-Generally speaking, it is very difficult to counter Cawmodore, with very few Pokemon achieving such a feat, but it is relatively easy to check it, especially if you send in your check on the turn that Cawmodore is to use Belly Drum.

**Tomohawk**: Physically defensive Tomohawk is able to check Cawmodore thanks to its access to Prankster and Haze, meaning it can remove Cawmodore's boost before getting hit by Acrobatics. Also, Bullet Punch will take away less than 40% of Tomohawk's HP. Sets that run Rocky Helmet will be able to get rid of Cawmodore via chip damage and continuous use of Roost, as Acrobatics without any boosts will only take away a bit more than half of Tomohawk's HP. move tomo down to below Scarf, it stops the sweep, but doesn't get rid of cawm

**Electric-types**: Physically defensive Cyclohm has the distinction of being able to restore more HP per turn than Cawmodore can deal to it via a combination of Leftovers and Slack Off, making it a true Cawmodore counter. In addition, it has the chance to OHKO Cawmodore with Fire Blast. Rotom-W doesn't reach quite the same level of defensive prowess, but Cawmodore only 2HKOs it, giving it room to check by using Will-O-Wisp on Cawmodore. Rotom-W should be last and be emphasized that it can only WoW, so it's really a bad check. it gets worn down too much to actually check it Once it does this, it actually has a fair chance to survive a second attack from Cawmodore, largely thanks to Leftovers, meaning it can use Pain Split to restore itself, followed by Hydro Pump to remove Cawmodore. Zapdos can take a hit from Cawmodore and get a chance to KO it using Heat Wave. Mega Manectric checks Cawmodore, outspeeding it, easily surviving a Bullet Punch, and OHKOing back with Flamethrower and overheat. Tapu Koko can prevent set up with Taunt, Krilowatt prevents set up with Surf, Plasmanta harasses it with Aura Sphere

**Unaware**: Pokemon like Clefable, Arghonaut, and, on occasions, Quagsire can all tolerate damage from Cawmodore and deal it back, Clefable with, preferably, Fire Blast clef stalls it out with Moonblast and WishTect and Quagsire with Scald. It is worth noting that Arghonaut will still take substantial damage from Acrobatics, but it is listed here because it can still deal enough damage to make it easier for another priority user to take out Cawmodore. Argho can phaze it out with Circle Throw or Roar

**Choice Scarf**: Volkraken and Keldeo are both Pokemon with viable Choice Scarf sets that can both take a Bullet Punch from Cawmodore and OHKO it with one of their STAB boosted moves. Choice Scarf Tapu Lele is especially notable in this category because Psychic Terrain prevents Cawmodore from using Bullet Punch, meaning Pokemon like Kerfluffle and Life Orb Syclant can KO Cawmodore even if Tapu Lele fails to in one hit. Tapu Lele can take care of it with Focus Blast, HP Fire, or chip it down substaintially with Psychic Some other, rarer Choice Scarf users like Victini can also easily KO Cawmodore.

**Focus Sash**: Syclant is the primary Pokemon under this category, as Focus Sash variants can outspeed Cawmodore and get a chance to KO it using Ice Beam while Cawmodore is at 75%. Focus Sash Alakazam, while rare, can do the same with Hidden Power Fire or Focus Blast.

**Greninja**: Greninja can easily resist a hit from a fully boosted Bullet Punch and OHKO Cawmodore with Hydro Pump. Dark Pulse and Hidden Power Fire can also do substantial damage, KOing Cawmodore if it is at 75% HP or less. merge Focus Sash, Greninja, and certain set up sweepers like Volcarona and DD navi into faster pokemon, which can tank a bullet punch conditionally
I wanna take one last look at this before I QC.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey EpicUmbreon29

What's up my man? How's school going for you? With USUM out, we need to shift our priorities to the current metagame. Would you be willing to update and finish Cawmodore for USUM CAP?

Hey EpicUmbreon29

What's up my man? How's school going for you? With USUM out, we need to shift our priorities to the current metagame. Would you be willing to update and finish Cawmodore for USUM CAP?
Hey cb! It's going pretty well, although I wish I was able to be around more. Soon I'll be done with applying to college and I'll be on winter break, so I'll have a lot more time to be here.
Sure thing! I'll start working on that!

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think Checks and Counters is the section that needs the most work.

-Focus Sash as a section seems frivolous to me since any mon ever can lose to a focus sashed mon with the appropriate moves.
-In the Choice Scarf Section, you mention Lele as a check. This is someone inaccurate, as Choice Scarf Lele's Hidden Power Fire has roughly 50% chance to KO Cawmodore from 75%. The shakiness of this check somehow needs to be stressed.
-Blacephalon can be added to Choice Scarf, but it should be noted that if Blace takes SR damage then it loses its ability to check.
The choice scarf section could potentially more directly state that it is usually water and fire type scarfers that do the best against Caw (do to their ability to survive bullet punch.)

Regarding Arghonaut, you should also also mention that Argho can survive 1 hit and phaze Cawmodore out with Circle Throw.

In Set Details, you say that Jolly is needed to outspeed Kril, Mega Sharpedo, and Mega Gallade. Mega Sharp is inaccurate, since we all know a well played Mega Sharp will actually get the speed boost and outspeed Caw (in fact, Crunch from Mega Sharp will almost always KO Caw at 75%, making it a better check than Tapu Lele. I would therefore recommend creating a "Faster Water Type" section that contains all of Greninja, Greninja-Ash, and Mega Sharpedo.) Mega Gallade is pretty irrelevant and shouldn't be mentioned. Really, in terms of why Jolly is important, more important mons to list include Fidgit (probably the most important imo), Kitsunoh, and the Latis.

Might have more comments later, but hopefully these will be enough to get you back into the analyses spirit.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I feel that a major question that should be addressed is "why am I using Caw instead of Hawlucha?" Hawlucha has fewer counters, is easier to build around and less vulnerable to Haze Tomohawk, so typing, Volt Absorb and/or Bullet Punch are going to have to come into play to make it worthwhile to use Caw.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
I feel that a major question that should be addressed is "why am I using Caw instead of Hawlucha?" Hawlucha has fewer counters, is easier to build around and less vulnerable to Haze Tomohawk, so typing, Volt Absorb and/or Bullet Punch are going to have to come into play to make it worthwhile to use Caw.
Cawm also doesn’t quire a specific tapu or require you to play around terrain turns, which is marginally good.

To be fair, Lele puts Cawm into priority range, and it gets hit because it isn’t protected by psychic terrain. It’s more that Lele sets up Cawm to be messed up in the next turn, but it’s still shaky.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Sorry for the double post, but it's been awhile since the last one.

I think Intimidate deserves a mention somewhere on here - most electric-types have some way around Cawmodore nowadays. Choice Specs Tapu Koko's Dazzling Gleam does: 252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cawmodore: 100-118 (41.3 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO, which forces you to Bullet Punch instead (which Tapu Koko can live 100% of the time if it hasn't taken damage) and leaves you super open to priority thereafter.

Also, Cyclohm is declining in usage, but it still runs Flamethrower most of the time anyway to threaten Kartana. Admittedly it definitely improves the match up against Krilowatt and Rotom-W, but those aren't seen all that much at the moment.

Basically, not having Volt Absorb isn't going to diminish Cawmodore's effectiveness completely, meaning that you could feasibly run Intimidate to weaken physical hits. Not sure where would be most appropriate, probably either above or below Knock Off in OO.

cbrevan HeaLnDeaL snake_rattler I'm tagging you guys because I finally updated this. I still have to do some more work to bring it up to speed with USUM, so I don't expect any QC stamps, but I would appreciate it if you could tell me whether I've missed anything important or things that have changed drastically in USUM that I should focus on (although I feel like the world of Cawmodore and Cawmodore counterplay hasn't been revolutionized at all by this mid-generation update).

I tried to trim some of the content for fluff as I was implementing people's comments, but I have not gotten to do a full defuzzing of the whole analysis yet. I appreciate the notes on diction and style very much, so please tell me when you have concerns!

I think Checks and Counters is the section that needs the most work.

-Focus Sash as a section seems frivolous to me since any mon ever can lose to a focus sashed mon with the appropriate moves.
-In the Choice Scarf Section, you mention Lele as a check. This is someone inaccurate, as Choice Scarf Lele's Hidden Power Fire has roughly 50% chance to KO Cawmodore from 75%. The shakiness of this check somehow needs to be stressed.
-Blacephalon can be added to Choice Scarf, but it should be noted that if Blace takes SR damage then it loses its ability to check.
The choice scarf section could potentially more directly state that it is usually water and fire type scarfers that do the best against Caw (do to their ability to survive bullet punch.)

Regarding Arghonaut, you should also also mention that Argho can survive 1 hit and phaze Cawmodore out with Circle Throw.

In Set Details, you say that Jolly is needed to outspeed Kril, Mega Sharpedo, and Mega Gallade. Mega Sharp is inaccurate, since we all know a well played Mega Sharp will actually get the speed boost and outspeed Caw (in fact, Crunch from Mega Sharp will almost always KO Caw at 75%, making it a better check than Tapu Lele. I would therefore recommend creating a "Faster Water Type" section that contains all of Greninja, Greninja-Ash, and Mega Sharpedo.) Mega Gallade is pretty irrelevant and shouldn't be mentioned. Really, in terms of why Jolly is important, more important mons to list include Fidgit (probably the most important imo), Kitsunoh, and the Latis.

Might have more comments later, but hopefully these will be enough to get you back into the analyses spirit.
I agree with and have implemented all of these notes. Thanks for helping me get back into things :D

Cawm also doesn’t quire a specific tapu or require you to play around terrain turns, which is marginally good.

To be fair, Lele puts Cawm into priority range, and it gets hit because it isn’t protected by psychic terrain. It’s more that Lele sets up Cawm to be messed up in the next turn, but it’s still shaky.
I have now noted the first part of this comment in the main pros and cons, and the second is noted later on in the Checks and Counters section.

Sorry for the double post, but it's been awhile since the last one.

I think Intimidate deserves a mention somewhere on here - most electric-types have some way around Cawmodore nowadays. Choice Specs Tapu Koko's Dazzling Gleam does: 252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cawmodore: 100-118 (41.3 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO, which forces you to Bullet Punch instead (which Tapu Koko can live 100% of the time if it hasn't taken damage) and leaves you super open to priority thereafter.

Also, Cyclohm is declining in usage, but it still runs Flamethrower most of the time anyway to threaten Kartana. Admittedly it definitely improves the match up against Krilowatt and Rotom-W, but those aren't seen all that much at the moment.

Basically, not having Volt Absorb isn't going to diminish Cawmodore's effectiveness completely, meaning that you could feasibly run Intimidate to weaken physical hits. Not sure where would be most appropriate, probably either above or below Knock Off in OO.
Intimidate is now listed as an Other Option, above Knock Out, with examples of gain and loss.

Thanks for the continued support everyone!

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Nice analysis EpicUmbreon29. Comments are included in bold below. Tag me when you've finished implementing them for the check.
[OVERVIEW]
+An excellent defensive typing allows for setup on many Pokemon, including defensive titans like Chansey and Ferrothorn. Rephrase this to include Landorus-t here- setting up on the best mon in the meta is particularly notable.
+Access to STAB priority in Bullet Punch allows Cawmodore to take on Pokemon faster than itself like Kerfluffle, Syclant, and Stratagem.
+Doesn't require play around any Terrains, as Hawlucha does.
+Volt Absorb allows Cawmodore to be immune to Thunder Wave, which otherwise could easily stop its sweep. It also greatly improves its matchup against Tapu Koko, Krilowatt, and Rotom-Wash.
-Many Electric-types, like Zapdos and Cyclohm, will run Fire-type coverage anyway and can still beat Cawmodore.
-Cawmodore only has one real chance to set up during the match
I think there needs to be something in here about how matchup reliant Cawmodore is- if they have the appropraiate checks it can never have a chance to setup, while if the opponent lacks a way to revenge kill Cawmodore, it will often end games almost by itself.
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
-Acrobatics is the primary move for dealing damage on this set. Once Cawmodore sets up and loses its Sitrus Berry, Acrobatics will OHKO most things that don't resist it. Some notable things that resist Flying that Acrobatics has the chance to OHKO include Kitsunoh, Plasmanta, Mega Mawile, and Tapu Koko.
-Bullet Punch is primarily for OHKOing Pokemon faster than Cawmodore, such as Kerfluffle, Stratagem, Syclant without Focus Sash, and Mega Alakazam. It is worth noting that this move is not quite an OHKO on Mega Lopunny or Tornadus -T. Mega Lopunny and Assault Vest Tornadus-T both need prior damage to be KOd by Bullet Punch. This move is also useful for evading Sucker Punch, as its use prevents it from activating on slower Pokemon like Colossoil and Mega Mawile. This is more of a general nitpick, but the more succinct way of phrasing the Mega Loppuny and Tornadus-t bit is to say Bullet Punch OHKOs with Stealth Rock damage in Torn-t's case, and will OHKO Mega Lopunny 50% of the time after one layer of Spikes damage. You end up being less vague about the chip damage, and help point the reader towards hazard stacking to support Cawmodore already.

Set Details
========
-252 Speed EVs with Jolly is vital for allowing Cawmodore to be able to outspeed and KO as much as possible. Without Jolly, Cawmodore will lose out to Krilowatt, Keldeo, Fidgit, Kitsunoh, Latias, and Latios.

Usage Tips
========
-Cawmodore is, by nature, an endgame Pokemon. It can only function to its fullest once the Pokemon that check and counter it, listed at the bottom of this analysis, have been removed from play or weakened to the point that Cawmodore can actually pick them off itself. I'm a bit wary about this point, because the same logic can be applied to every single win condition and setup sweeper in the game. Make this point about preserving Cawmodore's health to give it to greatest chance of sweeping, and that it will most likely have only a single chance due to the nature of BD.
-Once these are gone or severely weakened, some Pokemon that Cawmodore can usually set up easily on include Chansey, Dugtrio, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Landorus-T, and Mega Scizor. Get rid of the Dugtrio mention.
-If possible, avoid setting up against a Pokemon that can status Cawmodore, as only having its Attack boosted to two times the usual greatly hinders its utility, and being paralyzed or asleep make it very easy to pick off. Pokemon that can burn include Kitsunoh and Necturna. Malaconda is able to paralyze with Glare, and Breloom or Smeargle can put it to sleep via Spore. I'm not sure this is specific to Cawmodore enough to put in the analysis. Like above, "avoid status" is pretty much a basic tenet of Pokemon.
-If no opportunity exists for Cawmodore to set up, it might be better for it not to attempt to, instead opting for some regular attacking. It can still be of use, especially using Bullet Punch to pick off fast offensive Pokemon that have been weakened. I'd elaborate on this- Cawmodore's bulk and great defensive typing can be used to switch into Pokemon such as Landorus-t when needed.
-Bullet Punch is the most effective option against Mega Crucibelle, having a chance to OHKO it, even if Mega Crucibelle is at +1 Defense. Bullet Punch should also be used when the player predicts that the opponent is going to use Sucker Punch, as this will cause Sucker Punch to fail on Pokemon slower than Cawmodore. Also use Bullet Punch against faster Pokemon.
-The threat to the opponent of Cawmodore possibly setting up is likely to force them to switch into their check for Cawmodore, allowing you to double switch back into your own check for the opponent's Pokemon. One should be careful while doing this, though, as it is imperative that Cawmodore not take chip damage. I get what you're trying to convey here, but I don't think advocating a double switch is exactly the right thing for an analysis. For starters, its a bit to general to point out imo, that you send in Caw, and they'll most likely send in their Caw check, so you double to your check to their Caw check. Again, this is just basic Pokemon playing, and can applied to pretty much any good mon. Maybe emphasize leveraging the threat of Cawmodore sweeping rather than the actual play of double switching.

Team Options
========
-As an extension, hazards are helpful to Cawmodore in general. Both Spikes and Stealth Rock help it to secure more OHKOs, with Spikes being especially helpful for breaking the common Focus Sash of the Stealth Rock-immune Syclant. Stealth Rock allows for an OHKO on Mega Pidgeot and a good chance of one on Tornadus-T. Either help in weakening the opposing team before Cawmodore sweeps. Mega Bird isn't relevent enough to mention (tapu koko is only ohked after hazard damage if you need another example). Give examples of both Spike and Rock setters, specifically the ones that work well with Cawmodore. I'd also include Tspikes as an example since it allows Cawmodore to pressure Cyclohm and Arghonaut (if they're put into the position of having to switch into the boosted Acrobatics, they'll lose the matchup due to the toxic damage).
-Kyurem-B's potent offensive stats, combined with its access to STAB Ice Beam and a powerful Subzero Slammer, make it a potent teammate for its ability to take out Tomohawk and Cyclohm with little opposition. Caw can setup on Mega Zor or Ferro in return.
-Fairy-type Pokemon are viable teammates for the reason that they are capable of easily eliminating Tomohawk and Cyclohm. In addition, Rotom-W and Mega Manectric are incapable of doing very much to remove them from the battle. Tapu Lele is notable because, if Psychic Terrain is up while Cawmodore sets up, it will be able to avoid Sucker Punch, the most threatening priority move to it given the 50/50s it forces with Bullet Punch. We might as well drop the pretense that we're talking about any Sucker Punch users other than Colossoil or Mega Mawile. Just mention the mons.
-Hazard removal is important for Cawmodore, as it appreciates every bit of HP it can retain while attempting to set up. Which removers?
-Screen moves (Aurora Veil, Light Screen, Reflect) can be used, granting Cawmodore more setup opportunities. Users?
Tapu Koko works well, since it can pivot out of Pokemon such as Bulu and Lando, which Cawmodore can setup on. Similiarly, other Grounds such as Zygarde/Lando/Colo can bring in Landorus-t, Ferrothorn, or Bulu for Cawm to setup on. They can also cripple Tomohawk through Toxic, Z Fly, or even lower it down to the point that BP kills.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
-A Salac Berry set with Substitute / Belly Drum / Acrobatics / Drain Punch is plausible and allows Cawmodore to outspeed and defeat some of the checks to its regular set, including Greninja, Mega Pidgeot, and Tornadus-T, as well as Choice Scarf users like Volkraken, Tapu Lele, and Keldeo. This set requires that only 29 HP IVs are used (or 30 HP IVs with the extra 4 HP IVs placed elsewhere) so that Cawmodore's HP will be 240, a number divisible by 4 so that the Salac Berry will be used after one Substitute and one Belly Drum. However, this set has fewer opportunities to set up than the standard Sitrus Berry set, no longer being able to take a hit from physical attackers like Colossoil, Excadrill, Landorus-T, or Tapu Bulu. It also loses the ability to set up against Chansey. Last bit isn't accurate since full health Caw actually takes a BD and Seismic to survive w/ 20 hp, squarely in range for Salac to activate. the real problem is that the set is dependent on having all of its checks gone, a turn to get a Sub up without it breaking, and for priority users such as Crawdaunt, mawhile, and Colossoiul to be removed. You can work that bit in as you feel is appropriate, just don't downplay the set too much.
-A Z-Crystal set is possible on Cawmodore that allows it to act as a wallbreaker earlier on in the game. This Flyinium Z set has two possible main variants, with the first being Belly Drum / Sky Attack / Drill Peck / Drain Punch or Bullet Punch, and the second being Belly Drum / Fly / Drain Punch / Bullet Punch. Sky Attack actually gives Cawmodore a chance to OHKO Tomohawk if its boosts have been removed via Haze. It also does between 78.5 and 92.3% against a fully defensive Cyclohm and OHKOs Rotom-W. However, this only gives Cawmodore one practical opportunity to use its Flying-type STAB attack against the Pokemon that resist Drain Punch and Bullet Punch, making Drill Peck important. The set with Fly cannot OHKO Tomohawk from full HP using Supersonic Skystrike, but the invulnerability turn of Fly grants Cawmodore more freedom to run both Drain Punch and Bullet Punch on the same set. Altogether, the opportunity cost is rather high to give Cawmodore a Z-Crystal, given other powerful Z-Move users like Icium Z Kyurem-B and Magearna.
-Intimidate is possible to use, as it can make setting up Cawmodore easier. Notably, Cawmodore will take less than 75% damage from a -1 Attack Mega Crucibelle using Head Smash. However, Cawmodore will lose its immunity, causing difficulty with Rotom-Wash and Xurkitree, as well as the loss of setup opportunities against Choice-locked Magnezone and some Magearna sets.
-Knock Off can be run in the place of Drain Punch. Notably, it guarantees an OHKO on bulkier variants of Kitsunoh and Jirachi, but beyond this its scope is rather limited, dealing only 12.1% more minimum damage on Celesteela, for example, than Drain Punch. The lack of recovery is also something to be missed. List this above Intimidate, maybe even the other sets. It's a compromise between the glass cannon of a Z set and the heightened reliability of the standard set- less healing, but you're able to use Sitrus. With Rocks up, gives a fair chance to ohko Rotom-w and Zapdos.

Checks and Counters
===================
-Generally speaking, it is very difficult to counter Cawmodore, with very few Pokemon achieving such a feat, but it is relatively easy to check it, especially if you send in your check on the turn that Cawmodore is to use Belly Drum. I don't think this statement is necessary or appropriate in this section.

**Tomohawk**: Physically defensive Tomohawk is able to check Cawmodore thanks to its access to Prankster and Haze, meaning it can remove Cawmodore's boost before getting hit by Acrobatics. Also, Bullet Punch will take away less than 40% of Tomohawk's HP. Sets that run Rocky Helmet will be able to get rid of Cawmodore via chip damage and continuous use of Roost, as Acrobatics without any boosts will only take away a bit more than half of Tomohawk's HP. Crazy as it sounds, but I'd move Tomohawk down since its forced to run helmet to actually counter Tomohawk, while Cyclohm/Zapdos/Quag/Clef can reliably beat Cawmodore regardless of their item choice. Probably Unaware, then Electrics, then Tomo.

**Electric-Types**: Physically defensive Cyclohm has the distinction of being able to restore more HP per turn than Cawmodore can deal to it via a combination of Leftovers and Slack Off, making it a true Cawmodore counter. In addition, it has the chance to OHKO Cawmodore with Fire Blast. Rotom-W doesn't reach quite the same level of defensive prowess, but Cawmodore only 2HKOs it, giving it room to check by using Will-O-Wisp on Cawmodore. Once it does this, it actually has a fair chance to survive a second attack from Cawmodore, largely thanks to Leftovers, meaning it can use Pain Split to restore itself, followed by Hydro Pump to remove Cawmodore. Zapdos can take a hit from Cawmodore and get a chance to KO it using Heat Wave. Mega Manectric checks Cawmodore, outspeeding it, easily surviving a Bullet Punch, and OHKOing back with Flamethrower.

**Unaware**: Pokemon like Clefable, Arghonaut, and, on occasions, Quagsire can all tolerate damage from Cawmodore and deal it back, Clefable with, preferably, Fire Blast and Quagsire with Scald. Arghonaut will still take substantial damage from Acrobatics, but it can phaze Cawmodore out with Circle Throw. On what occassions does Quagsire not beat Cawmodore?

**Choice Scarf Special Attackers**: Many Water-type or Fire-type Pokemon with Choice Scarf can easily take a resisted Bullet Punch and OHKO Cawmodore, Volkraken and Keldeo being good examples of this. Tapu Lele only has about a 50% chance to KO with Hidden Power Fire, but Psychic Terrain prevents Cawmodore from using Bullet Punch, so Pokemon like Kerfluffle and Syclant can finish Cawmodore if Tapu Lele fails to. Some rarer Choice Scarf users like Victini can also check Cawmodore, as can Blacephalon as long as it does not take Stealth Rock damage.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory only loses about half of its health to Cawmodore once it has set up, meaning it can easily use Counter or Whirlwind to end Cawmodore's sweep. Move skarm up, it can check any caw set if sturdy is intact, as well as the standard set even if sturdy is broken.

**Faster Water-Types**: Greninja, Greninja-Ash, and Mega Sharpedo can all easily survive a fully-boosted Bullet Punch and KO Cawmodore in return with STAB moves. Greninja and Greninja-Ash will both deal KO a Cawmodore at 75% with Hydro Pump, while a Crunch from a Mega Sharpedo has over a 90% chance of KOing at this percent with Crunch. I'd list these over Scarfers due to Ash gren's distinction of completely setting down every Caw set.

snake

CAP Co-Leader

[OVERVIEW]
+An excellent defensive typing allows for setup on many Pokemon, including titans like Landorus-T, Chansey, and Ferrothorn.
+Access to STAB priority in Bullet Punch allows Cawmodore to take on prevent the end of a sweep Pokemon faster than itself like Kerfluffle, Syclant, and Stratagem.
+Doesn't require play around any Terrains, as Hawlucha does. clarify - it's a powerful sweeper that isn't limited terrain turns, elaborate just a little - doesn't require tapu teammates
-Cawmodore's performance is heavily influenced by team matchup; if the opponent carries even one of its checks, it cannot set up and essentially becomes dead weight, but if the opponent lacks a check not sure how to make this concise, but "if the opponent didn't build in a check, the check gets sacced off early, or the check becomes significantly weakened", it can win matches instantly with ease after setting up.
-Very common Pokemon in the CAP metagame, like Tomohawk, Cyclohm, and Choice Scarf Volkraken add Greninja here, can easily end a sweep once it has begun.
-Cawmodore tends to be very predictable, with high awareness of and preparation for its most viable and unchanging set. Cawm checks end up on most teams anyway (trying to check Hawlucha, Greninja naturally checks, make a note here)
-Cawmodore only has one real chance to set up during the match without very specific teammates (think HWish / ZPShot / Memento)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
-Acrobatics is the primary move for dealing damage on this set. Once Cawmodore sets up and loses its Sitrus Berry, Acrobatics will OHKO most things that don't resist it. Some notable things that resist Flying-type moves that Acrobatics has the chance to OHKO include Kitsunoh, Plasmanta, Mega Mawile, and Tapu Koko.
-Drain Punch allows Cawmodore to OHKO some of the Pokemon that Acrobatics could not, specifically Heatran and Tyranitar. (It's also useful against anything the user knows it can OHKO,) as it allows Cawmodore to have more HP with which to survive priority moves. The first part of the second sentence (in the parentheses) feels like more of a usage tip - just say it's a form of recovery that heals off lost HP for priority
-Bullet Punch is primarily for OHKOing Pokemon faster than Cawmodore, such as Kerfluffle, Stratagem, Syclant without Focus Sash just say Syclant, and Mega Alakazam. Bullet Punch will also OHKO Tornadus-T after Stealth Rock damage, and will OHKO Mega Lopunny 50% of the time after one layer of Spikes remove Mega Lopunny mention - too many words and not worth. Add weakened Hawlucha and Greninja KO instead This move is also useful for evading Sucker Punch, as its use prevents it from activating on slower Pokemon like Colossoil and Mega Mawile.

Set Details
========
-Sitrus Berry, after a Belly Drum, allows Cawmodore to both power up Acrobatics to full power and regain HP immediately after setting up, the former of which is vital for being to OHKO Pokemon, while the second which is important for being able to take priority moves and weaker hits like Tapu Koko’s Hidden Power Ice
- Elaborate on Volt Absorb

Usage Tips
========
-Throughout the match, keep Cawmodore's health intact until it can set up safely; due to the nature of Belly Drum, it only gets one real chance to do this.
-Once these are gone or severely weakened, some Pokemon that Cawmodore can usually set up easily on include Chansey, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Landorus-T, and Mega Scizor. add Magic Guard Clef and Tapu Bulu - and why are these good to set up on?
- you do this a little bit but explain how to set up

-Once Cawmodore is set up, everything is largely a matter of what move to select. Acrobatics, as previously mentioned, will OHKO most things. this is really vague - say that Cawmodore should use Acrobatics the most due to its high base power
-
Drain Punch is recommended against anything it will OHKO, as HP recovery will be helpful. Drain Punch is also advisable against slower Pokemon with Focus Sash in order to regain HP before the opponent's attack, assuming it will be able to survive.

The Drain Punch section is a little awkward to read - say that it's good to use when Cawmodore doesn't need the extra power from Acrobatics to KO - the HP gain is useful for remaining opponents - or if Cawmodore flat out cannot KO with Acrobatics - the HP gain might allow it to tank the incoming attack

-Bullet Punch is the most effective option against Mega Crucibelle typically Mega Cruci will get chipped before mega evoing, right into Drain Punch range, DPunch means Cawn restores a lot of HP, so only at +1 Defense should Cawm use BP having a chance to OHKO it, even if Mega Crucibelle is at +1 Defense. In addition, it should be used against faster Pokemon that can OHKO Cawmodore, or when the player predicts that the opponent is going to use Sucker Punch, as this will cause Sucker Punch to fail on slower Pokemon.
-You can use the threat of Cawmodore potentially earning a sweep to force an opponent to play more conservatively with their Cawmodore checks, thereby making them easier to predict.
-If Cawmodore is unable to set up, settle for using it without boosts, such as by picking off faster Pokemon with Bullet Punch. It’s important to try to activate Sitrus so Acro is powerful. Cawmodore can also use its great defensive typing and ability to switch in on Pokemon like Landorus-T, Excadrill, and certain sets of Plasmanta, as well as absorb Toxic and Thunder Wave and deter VoltTurn strategies. - but you have to be REALLY careful

Team Options
========
-Spikes Greninja is a good teammate for Cawmodore, as it is capable of taking on some of Cawmodore's biggest checks and counters, especially Tomohawk, Cyclohm, and Volkraken. Having Spikes set up also guarantees more OHKOs for Cawmodore, as well as opening up the possibility for ones it could previously not get, including a guaranteed OHKO on Magearna with Drain Punch after three Spikes layers. Breaks sashes, like Clant’s
-As an extension, hazards are helpful to Cawmodore in general. Spikes setters include Arghonaut and Greninja you already mentioned Greninja, and the Fire-type resistance doesn't really mean much when you die to the strong hits and can't do anything to the ones dishing out the weak hits, which both work well with Cawmodore thanks to their Fire resistance. Stealth Rock can be set by the likes of Mollux and Heatran. Good Toxic Spikes setters such as Toxapex and Pajantom work as well. Both Spikes and Stealth Rock help it to secure more OHKOs, with Spikes being especially helpful for breaking the common Focus Sash of the Stealth Rock-immune Syclant. Furthermore, Tapu Koko cannot be OHKOed before hazard damage, and Stealth Rock gives a chance of an OHKO against Tornadus-T. Toxic Spikes helps Cawmodore to pressure Arghonaut and Cyclohm, as they will lose due to Toxic damage if they must switch in on Cawmodore's boosted Acrobatics. this section keeps changing topics between this hazard and that hazard - reorganize so you finish one point and get on with the next - the content is great, the order is confusing :(
-Kyurem-B's potent offensive stats, combined with its access to STAB Ice Beam and a powerful Subzero Slammer, make it a potent teammate for its ability to take out Tomohawk and Cyclohm with little opposition. Reciprocally, Cawmodore can set up on notable stops to Kyurem-B like Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor. Unless Kyube is especially good, put below my Pajantom bullet
-Fairy-type Pokemon are viable teammates for the reason that they are capable of easily eliminating Tomohawk and Cyclohm. In addition, Rotom-W and Mega Manectric are incapable of doing very much to remove them from the battle. Tapu Koko is especially notable because it can bring in Pokemon like Landorus-T, Chansey, and Tapu Bulu before pivoting out to Cawmodore and providing it with a setup opportunity. Add Jumbao
-Ground-type Pokemon like Zygarde, Landorus-T, and Colossoil are similarly good for drawing out Pokemon like Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, and Tapu Bulu that Cawmodore can set up on. Also valuable is that SubToxic Zygarde can take on Tomohawk, as can Flyinium-Z Landorus-T.
- add Pajantom - can remove tomo / argho
-Hazard removal Pokemon like Rotom-W, Latias, Latios, put Mega Latios, Tomohawk, Landorus-T and Mollux are important for Cawmodore, as it appreciates every bit of HP it can retain while attempting to set up. The examples listed are also good Pokemon to switch into when Cawmodore meets an opposing Fire-type on the field.
- Add in Z Pshot Kerf, Hwish tomo and jumbao
-Sticky Web, most likely coming from Necturna or Smeargle, can be very helpful to Cawmodore, as it enables it to defeat faster Pokemon that resist Bullet Punch, including Mega Manectric remove, Greninja, and many of the Choice Scarf users that check Cawmodore, like Volkraken, and Tapu Lele.add weakened Ash Greninja
-Screen moves (Aurora Veil, Light Screen, Reflect) can be used by Pokemon like Ninetales-A, Klefki replace with Koko, and Fidgit, granting Cawmodore more setup opportunities.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
-Knock Off can be run in the place of Drain Punch or BP. Notably, it guarantees an OHKO on bulkier variants of Kitsunoh and Jirachi, but beyond this its scope is rather limited, dealing only 12.1% more minimum damage just say a little more - the actual number isn't important for the analysis on Celesteela, for example, than Drain Punch. The lack of recovery is also something to be missed. There is also a fair chance to OHKO Rotom-W and Zapdos after Stealth Rock damage. - the Zapdos hit is what’s important about Knock Off - makes this the first mention
-A Salac Berry set with Substitute / Belly Drum / Acrobatics / Drain Punch is plausible and allows Cawmodore to outspeed and defeat some of the checks to its regular set, including Greninja, Mega Pidgeot, and Tornadus-T, as well as Choice Scarf users like Volkraken, Tapu Lele, and Keldeo. This set requires that only 29 HP IVs are used (or 30 HP IVs with the extra 4 HP IVs placed elsewhere) so that Cawmodore's HP will be 240, just say it runs 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with 30 HP IVs a number divisible by 4 so that the Salac Berry will be used after one Substitute and one Belly Drum. However, this set is more difficult to set up with than the standard Sitrus Berry set, as all counters must first be removed from play, along with priority users like Mega Mawile, Colossoil, and Crawdaunt, add Ash-Greninja (Water Shuriken makes this set cry) and scarf Greninja and in addition Cawmodore needs a turn to set up Substitute without it breaking.
-A Z-Crystal set is possible on Cawmodore that allows it to act as a wallbreaker earlier on in the game. This Flyinium Z set has two possible main variants, with the first being Belly Drum / Sky Attack / Drill Peck / Drain Punch or Bullet Punch, and the second being Belly Drum / Fly / Drain Punch / Bullet Punch. Sky Attack actually gives Cawmodore a chance to OHKO Tomohawk if its boosts have been removed via Haze. It also does between 78.5 and 92.3% against a fully defensive Cyclohm and OHKOs Rotom-W. However, this only gives Cawmodore one practical opportunity to use its Flying-type STAB attack against the Pokemon that resist Drain Punch and Bullet Punch, making Drill Peck important. The set with Fly cannot OHKO Tomohawk from full HP using Supersonic Skystrike, but the invulnerability turn of Fly grants Cawmodore more freedom to run both Drain Punch and Bullet Punch on the same set. Altogether, the opportunity cost is rather high to give Cawmodore a Z-Crystal, given other powerful Z-Move users like Icium Z Kyurem-B and Magearna. Separate these two sets out, it gets confusing. Put Z-Sky Attack first then Z-Fly second
-Intimidate is possible to use, as it can make setting up Cawmodore easier. Notably, Cawmodore will take less than 75% damage from a -1 Attack Mega Crucibelle using Head Smash. However, Cawmodore will lose its immunity to Electric-type attacks, causing difficulty with Rotom-Wash and Xurkitree replace both with Tapu Koko, as well as the loss of setup opportunities against Choice-locked Magnezone and some Magearna sets.
-Iron Head is an option for scoring a 2HKO against Unaware Clefable but you lose out on the HP recovery of Drain Punch and the priority of Bullet Punch.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Unaware**: Pokemon like Clefable, Arghonaut, and Quagsire can all tolerate damage from Cawmodore and deal it back and recover. Clefable has Fire Blast most of the time Clef chips Cawm down with Moonblast or the occasional Flamethrower and Softboiled and Quagsire with Scald and Recover for this purpose. Arghonaut will still take substantial damage from Acrobatics, but it can phaze Cawmodore out with Circle Throw.

**Electric-Types**: Physically defensive Cyclohm has the distinction of being able to restore more HP per turn than Cawmodore can deal to it via a combination of Leftovers and Slack Off, making it a true Cawmodore counter. In addition, it has the chance to OHKO Cawmodore with Fire Blast. Rotom-W doesn't reach quite the same level of defensive prowess, but Cawmodore only 2HKOs it, giving it room to check by using Will-O-Wisp on Cawmodore. Once it does this, it actually has a fair chance to survive a second attack from Cawmodore, largely thanks to Leftovers, meaning it can use Pain Split to restore itself, followed by Hydro Pump to remove Cawmodore. Zapdos can take a hit from Cawmodore and get a chance to KO it using Heat Wave. Mega Manectric checks Cawmodore, outspeeding it, easily surviving a Bullet Punch, and OHKOing back with Flamethrower. Remove Manectric. Order them in Cyclohm -> Zapdos -> Rotom-W, and just say that while Rotom-W takes a lot of damage, the combination of Will-O-Wisp and Hydro Pump means Cawmodore has to be careful

**Skarmory**: Skarmory only loses about half of its health to Cawmodore once it has set up, meaning it can easily use Counter or Whirlwind to end Cawmodore's sweep. Move to the bottom of this section

**Faster Water-Types**: Greninja, Greninja-Ash, and Mega Sharpedo can all easily survive a fully-boosted Bullet Punch and KO Cawmodore in return with STAB moves. Greninja and Greninja-Ash will both deal KO a Cawmodore at 75% with Hydro Pump, while a Crunch from a Mega Sharpedo has over a 90% chance of KOing at this percent with Crunch. this section is weird - remove Mega Sharpedo, make Ash-Green its own section because of Water Shuriken, move Greninja to the section below

Very good analysis - I was pretty nitpicky with the check. Getting up to date, some removals / additions, and reordering

QC 2/3

Remember to write it up - no bullets

[OVERVIEW]
Cawmodore is the physical embodiment of the word "sweep." Designed to utilize Belly Drum, Cawmodore picks off its prey with killer efficiency once it gets sets up using a powerful STAB combination of Acrobatics and Bullet Punch, along with Drain Punch coverage. Bullet Punch is especially useful, letting Cawmodore to take out faster Pokemon like Kerfluffle, Syclant, and Stratagem. Its combination of Steel and Flying with Volt Absorb makes it immune to both Toxic and Thunder Wave and gives it resistances to Flying and Steel, while making it immune to Poison and Ground. This means that Cawmodore is able to set up not only on some defensive titans like Chansey, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor, but also against certain offensive Pokemon like Landorus-T, Mega Pinsir, and Tapu Bulu. Its defensive prowess continues to benefit Cawmodore once it has set up, as no priority moves hit it super-effectively, and the presence of Volt Absorb prevents Tapu Koko and Krilowatt from OHKOing Cawmodore, and prevents Rotom-Wash from dealing heavy damage with Volt Switch. The biggest advantage of Cawmodore over Hawlucha, a similar bird sweeper, is that Cawmodore does not require the use of Terrains.

Despite this, several factors hamper Cawmodore's capabilities. Primarily, its performance is heavily influenced by team matchup; if an opponent carries even one check, Cawmodore cannot set up at all, as the nature of Belly Drum means it only has one real chance to do so. Furthermore, Cawmodore checks and counters include common Pokemon like Tomohawk, Cyclohm, and Choice Scarf Volkraken. However, one instantly can win instantly upon setting up if the opponent lacks the necessary checks or counters. Furthermore, Cawmodore tends to be a very predictable Pokemon, with high awareness of and resulting preparation for its most viable and unchanging set. Cawmodore's defensive capabilities can also be worked around, with many Electric-types, like Zapdos and Cyclohm, running Fire-type coverage. Also, Stealth Rock being up makes it difficult for Cawmodore to switch in, as it can't afford to lose health before setting up.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
-Bullet Punch is primarily for OHKOing Pokemon faster than Cawmodore, such as Kerfluffle, Stratagem, Syclant without Focus Sash, and Mega Alakazam. Bullet Punch will also OHKO Tornadus-T after Stealth Rock damage, and will OHKO Mega Lopunny 50% of the time after one layer of Spikes. This move is also useful for evading Sucker Punch, as its use prevents it from activating on slower Pokemon like Colossoil and Mega Mawile.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========
-Once these are gone or severely weakened, some Pokemon that Cawmodore can usually set up easily on include Chansey, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Landorus-T, and Mega Scizor.
-Bullet Punch is the most effective option against Mega Crucibelle, having a chance to OHKO it, even if Mega Crucibelle is at +1 Defense. In addition, it should be used against faster Pokemon that can OHKO Cawmodore, or when the player predicts that the opponent is going to use Sucker Punch, as this will cause Sucker Punch to fail on slower Pokemon.
-If Cawmodore is unable to set up, settle for using it without boosts, such as by picking off faster Pokemon with Bullet Punch. Cawmodore can also use its great defensive typing and ability to switch in on Pokemon like Landorus-T, Excadrill, and certain sets of Plasmanta, as well as absorb Toxic and Thunder Wave and deter VoltTurn strategies.

Team Options
========
-As an extension, hazards are helpful to Cawmodore in general. Spikes setters include Arghonaut and Greninja, which both work well with Cawmodore thanks to their Fire resistance. Stealth Rock can be set by the likes of Mollux and Heatran. Good Toxic Spikes setters such as Toxapex and Pajantom work as well. Both Spikes and Stealth Rock help it to secure more OHKOs, with Spikes being especially helpful for breaking the common Focus Sash of the Stealth Rock-immune Syclant. Furthermore, Tapu Koko cannot be OHKOed before hazard damage, and Stealth Rock gives a chance of an OHKO against Tornadus-T. Toxic Spikes helps Cawmodore to pressure Arghonaut and Cyclohm, as they will lose due to Toxic damage if they must switch in on Cawmodore's boosted Acrobatics.
-Kyurem-B's potent offensive stats, combined with its access to STAB Ice Beam and a powerful Subzero Slammer, make it a potent teammate for its ability to take out Tomohawk and Cyclohm with little opposition. Reciprocally, Cawmodore can set up on notable stops to Kyurem-B like Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor.
-Fairy-type Pokemon are viable teammates for the reason that they are capable of easily eliminating Tomohawk and Cyclohm. In addition, Rotom-W and Mega Manectric are incapable of doing very much to remove them from the battle. Tapu Koko is especially notable because it can bring in Pokemon like Landorus-T, Chansey, and Tapu Bulu before pivoting out to Cawmodore and providing it with a setup opportunity.
-Hazard removal Pokemon like Rotom-W, Latias, Latios, and Mollux are important for Cawmodore, as it appreciates every bit of HP it can retain while attempting to set up. The examples listed are also good Pokemon to switch into when Cawmodore meets an opposing Fire-type on the field.
-Screen moves (Aurora Veil, Light Screen, Reflect) can be used by Pokemon like Ninetales-A, Klefki, and Fidgit, granting Cawmodore more setup opportunities.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
-Knock Off can be run in the place of Drain Punch. Notably, it guarantees an OHKO on bulkier variants of Kitsunoh and Jirachi, but beyond this its scope is rather limited, dealing only 12.1% more minimum damage on Celesteela, for example, than Drain Punch. The lack of recovery is also something to be missed. There is also a fair chance to OHKO Rotom-W and Zapdos after Stealth Rock damage.
-A Salac Berry set with Substitute / Belly Drum / Acrobatics / Drain Punch is plausible and allows Cawmodore to outspeed and defeat some of the checks to its regular set, including Greninja, Mega Pidgeot, and Tornadus-T, as well as Choice Scarf users like Volkraken, Tapu Lele, and Keldeo. This set requires that only 29 HP IVs are used (or 30 HP IVs with the extra 4 HP IVs placed elsewhere) so that Cawmodore's HP will be 240, a number divisible by 4 so that the Salac Berry will be used after one Substitute and one Belly Drum. However, this set is more difficult to set up with than the standard Sitrus Berry set, as all counters must first be removed from play, along with priority users like Mega Mawile, Colossoil, and Crawdaunt, and in addition Cawmodore needs a turn to set up Substitute without it breaking.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Unaware**: Pokemon like Clefable, Arghonaut, and Quagsire can all tolerate damage from Cawmodore and deal it back and recover. Clefable has Fire Blast and Softboiled and Quagsire with Scald and Recover for this purpose. Arghonaut will still take substantial damage from Acrobatics, but it can phaze Cawmodore out with Circle Throw.

**Faster Water-Types**: Greninja, Greninja-Ash, and Mega Sharpedo can all easily survive a fully-boosted Bullet Punch and KO Cawmodore in return with STAB moves. Greninja and Greninja-Ash will both deal KO a Cawmodore at 75% with Hydro Pump, while a Crunch from a Mega Sharpedo has over a 90% chance of KOing at this percent with Crunch.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
Epic whats your progress on the write up? I'd like to see this written up soon since Caw only has one set and you're so close to being finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)