CaPmon Sprite Revamping

My attempt at a Nohface sprite. 90x90 with Transparency.
This is really good in concept and a great first draft. The darker shadows centering around the mask is really choppy, however, and overall, the shadows around the mask are a bit too far-reaching for a baby Pokemon. Fix those issues, however, and you'll have my vote for being a really damn cool Nohface!

Nohface attempt 2, with changes made.
Much better! I still DK about the black in the middle, though, partly because Kitsnoh doesn't really use Black. if you made it a darker purple or just made it the same color as the rest of the ghostly part then it'd be complete. As it is, it's really good, and it's almost amazing.

Let me just say that you are befitting of your username, PurePwnage

canno

formerly The Reptile

I haven't made sprites in a long time, but this is my shot at Nohface. Shading could be better, but I'm not used to pokemon's shading style.

Also, I feel like the tail could of came out better, but every time I tried to fix it, it looked fat.

Fixed, with M/F.

I haven't made sprites in a long time, but this is my shot at Nohface. Shading could be better, but I'm not used to pokemon's shading style.

Also, I feel like the tail could of came out better, but every time I tried to fix it, it looked fat.
Good job, my qualms about this however are ; it'd look better with wisps from it's body, similar to Kitsunoh's legs. The shading could be better for a ghost-type, and the way the tail is posed is awkward, but otherwise good job.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Good job, my qualms about this however are ; it'd look better with wisps from it's body, similar to Kitsunoh's legs. The shading could be better for a ghost-type, and the way the tail is posed is awkward, but otherwise good job.
Thanks for the critique.

I was trying to make it a furry wisp, since the other submissions outclass mine as a wisp, but I think I might just ditch the furry aspect and try to go straight for the wisp look.

As for the shading, I'm really out of touch, so I guess I'm just going to have to try over and over again until I can get the hand of it.

Also, for the tail, I'm not sure how to fix it's awkwardness, but I'll try to fix that.

PurePwnage! said:
You cut out kitsunoh's face mask and stuck it on some gastly gas you made. Badly I may add judging by the fact that there's uneven edges everywhere and a black line going down its face. Do I really need to point out why this fusion-like sprite is a horrible idea? I was going to say a hell of a lot more about this but I decided it's not worth it.

Long story short, don't steal parts from another sprite. That is just plain stupid.

PS: Spenstar, you're really not making yourself look good here.

The Reptile said:
At least we've got a new piece of work here. You seem a bit rusty so I'll go easy on you. The shading is definately the weakest thing here. Try shading in blocks rather than the stringy almost random bits here and there. Dithering is not recommended. Parts of the body like the arms, base of the tail, and mask almost seem anarexic. Like they've been squeezed unnaturally. So you need to sort out the proportions a wee bit, perhaps something a bit like this (quick edit, nothing altered on mask):

Either way, the wisps the previous person recommended aren't something that are needed at all unless they fit your vision for the design of course. A lot of people seem to be going for the wispy body, single mask route so you should probably play around with this a lot! Get creative!

It's good, I like it and it looks very Prevo'y, but the side-view face looks weird to me. I just dont like having to see only half a mon's face, especially when we can see all of Kitsnoh's face. Still, it's very good, really nice concept here.

Oh my God, this is so good that I can't decide whether to declare it my favorite by a mile, or reject it on the grounds that prevos shouldn't look cooler than their evolution... loljk, this is AMAZING!

edit: After what Wyervii said, I'm noticing more that yes, this sprite does look very Gastly-esque, which might not necessarily be a good thing...

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Oh my God, this is so good that I can't decide whether to declare it my favorite by a mile, or reject it on the grounds that prevos shouldn't look cooler than their evolution... loljk, this is AMAZING!

edit: After what Wyervii said, I'm noticing more that yes, this sprite does look very Gastly-esque, which might not necessarily be a good thing...
I would argue pretty heavily against this. No offense, but this sprite still needs a lot of work. The mask is completely non-original and not only does the surrounding gas look like Gastly, but it is on a completely different dimension than the mask. While the mask is facing downwards and to the side, the wisps are facing directly outwards. Look at Gastly's sprite:

The wisps travel off to a specific side, which is much more aesthetically pleasing than the direct approach you have now. Furthermore, the smoke is very blocky and doesn't disappear into the background. Kitsunoh's pre-evo could potentially have a Gastly-esque design, sure. But please try to make some of those corrections.

You cut out kitsunoh's face mask and stuck it on some gastly gas you made. Badly I may add judging by the fact that there's uneven edges everywhere and a black line going down its face. Do I really need to point out why this fusion-like sprite is a horrible idea? I was going to say a hell of a lot more about this but I decided it's not worth it.

Long story short, don't steal parts from another sprite. That is just plain stupid.

PS: Spenstar, you're really not making yourself look good here.

At least we've got a new piece of work here. You seem a bit rusty so I'll go easy on you. The shading is definately the weakest thing here. Try shading in blocks rather than the stringy almost random bits here and there. Dithering is not recommended. Parts of the body like the arms, base of the tail, and mask almost seem anarexic. Like they've been squeezed unnaturally. So you need to sort out the proportions a wee bit, perhaps something a bit like this (quick edit, nothing altered on mask):

Either way, the wisps the previous person recommended aren't something that are needed at all unless they fit your vision for the design of course. A lot of people seem to be going for the wispy body, single mask route so you should probably play around with this a lot! Get creative!
After this with my first attempt, I'm going to scrap my attempt at Nohface, and practice more before I try CAP spriting once more.

~PPwnage!

canno

formerly The Reptile

Thanks for the critique!

Yeah, the shading on mine is horrible. I like the shading on yours. (EDIT: Added Female Sprites, Shiny Sprites, and Back Sprites)

Here's my second attempt. I decided I wanted him to be more wispy, but still retain the furriness that I had originally. I also attempted to mimic your shading, by which I mean the whole work-on-blocks rather than lines. I'm not 100% happy with my shading, but I think it's a big improvement over the original. I'm not sure if I should make him a bit thicker on the bottom, but I didn't want to ruin it so I left it how it is at the moment.

EDIT: I dislike the shading of the back sprite. I feel it's too rough compared to the original.

I also changed the ears to the mask in order to better resemble the original.

It's good, I like it and it looks very Prevo'y, but the side-view face looks weird to me. I just dont like having to see only half a mon's face, especially when we can see all of Kitsnoh's face. Still, it's very good, really nice concept here.
Thanks!

I would go for a full facial sprite, but I'm not really good at those.

A Kitsunoh prevo attempt~.

I've only started spriting quite recently so I know my material is far from professional. xD Alas, I thought it'd be fun to give this a try. Practice makes progress, and all. It's not quite as ghostlike/cool as the other submissions; but I guess.. More depicts the foxlike quality to Kitsunoh? I'm not really sure how to explain it. -Fails-

A quick notice.

There will be a poll for Kitsunoh's pre-evolution design in 24 hours. All that is required is a single front sprite or a digital or scanned drawing. Sprites may be altered afterwards. It's mostly the design we will be voting for.

The most current designs posted in thread will be the one that will be slated. Better finalise them quick!

Current designs being considered for slate (will be updated to their most current work at poll):
Steampowered

toasttyrant:

doran dragon:

the reptile:

baka:

Wyverii:

Note: this a a rough and loose poll. Just post something acceptable and it'll be included.

Wyverii do we post "final submission" or something in order to get in? or just post a picture at all and bam, you're in?

here's what I sketched up real quick

Not much time + no scanner = rubbish drawing. But it's the concept that's important, and no one seems to have mentioned anything like this, so here goes:

I personally like Wyverii's. It's just so simple and doesn't seem as clattered as the others.

Also, to the above posters, I'm pretty sure they are susposed to be sprites.

I've never made a scratch sprite in my life.. but I tried to keep the "kitsune" image alive in Kitsunoh's pre-vo. Good luck guys. (:

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Okay, I'm interested in doing animations. Here's a test with parts:

In order to do them, though, I'd need a better .gif animator. Does anyone know of an animation software that allows layers in each frame and allows me to rotate layers? That's all I'd really need to crank out animated Pokémon reliably.

Cartoons, Anybody have any suggestions?

Okay, I'm interested in doing animations. Here's a test with parts:

In order to do them, though, I'd need a better .gif animator. Does anyone know of an animation software that allows layers in each frame and allows me to rotate layers? That's all I'd really need to crank out animated Pokémon reliably.
I said it on IRC, and I'll say it again. You are nothing short of outstanding. Yes (Wyervii >_>) This is coming from the guy who never saw a sprite he didn't like, but animations are a whole other deal entirely.

I dislike Kitsunoh's sprite, it is nothing like the original one, unlike the others.
I really like Colosshale though, and I would like that Kitsunoh didn't have a Pre-evo, something like Absol so there is no monotomy in the evolutionary lines.

Nohface attempt 2, with changes made.

This is really cool, I'm really liking this sprite, even more than Kitsunoh's, every one complains on how its just the mask with a little gas, but its the simplicity of it what makes it so good, it doesn't really have to be that complicated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)