CAP Updates: Voodoom Discussion (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Does Voodoom need extra coverage?
I genuinely think Voodoom doesn't need extra coverage. The scope of this update was to make voodoom more viable, Nasty Plot and the aid of Generation 7's Z-Crystals will allow voodoom to accomplish this. While not having coverage to beat fairies is a bad point for voodoom, it's not actually walled by anything else bar fairies allowing it a lot of offensive breathing room. It is undeniable that Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon will affect how viable Voodoom actually becomes, I just don't think Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon will make or break voodoom. Therefore these coverage options are not needed.

2.Does Voodoom need this extra unpredictability and versatility?

While predictability does offer a upperhand versus your opponent, it's not necessary for the success of a pokemon. An example of that is many common sweepers like Salamence and Volcarona, which carry 1 solid moveset and do what they can with that as it's most efficient. In voodooms case, psychic is strong enough to give voodoom a way of beating defensive pokemon, enough to the point where I can not support extra coverage.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So I guess since Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are both confirmed for the slate, what are the thoughts on the set that Deck Knight submitted featuring Z-Hold Hands + Power Trip (and Gunk Shot for coverage.)?

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
So I guess since Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are both confirmed for the slate, what are the thoughts on the set that Deck Knight submitted featuring Z-Hold Hands + Power Trip (and Gunk Shot for coverage.)?
I've been thinking more about the Power Trip set too. It's a NEATO cool set, but I just don't think it belongs here. It's honestly distracting to the update - Voodoom should be a really awesome Nasty Plot user, not a "surprise I'm a Power Trip set!" mon. Not totally disallowing it yet, but I'm not very convinced that we should give it to Voodoom.
I guess I never formally disallowed it, but it's too tangential from the update. I'd rather focus on the Nasty Plot niche than introducing a whole new one.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Voodoom's final competitive poll for this update will be up soon. This is the slate:

Include Flash Cannon
Do Not Include Flash Cannon

Include Thunderbolt
Do Not Include Thunderbolt

We've discussed the merit of both of these moves and the merit of having additional coverage moves in general, so now we decide with a poll.

The poll will be in a separate thread that will be up soon. Please do NOT post your votes here.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Voodoom's competitive update has been completed. You can see the shocking results of the poll here. Thunderbolt won by a 73% majority; whereas Flash Cannon, while encountering more resistance, won with a 57% majority. Thunderbolt diversifies Voodoom's sets, while Flash Cannon can pick off certain Fairy-types if it so chooses. The full competitive update includes Nasty Plot, Flash Cannon, Thunderbolt, and Cursed Body, which gives Voodoom the capacity to act as a potent Nasty Plot abuser. Currently, all that remains is adding new flavor moves to Voodoom.

The following discussion will be for flavorful moves ONLY. If they have any sort of competitive relevance, they have little chance to be considered. New competitive moves had a chance to be discussed before the poll. Any moves from Gen 4 or before will probably not be considered, as Voodoom had access to those moves at the time of its creation. However, any moves from Gen 5 and beyond are fair game.

What new non-competitive moves, if any, from Gens 5, 6, or 7 should we add to Voodoom's movepool that conform to its typing or design?

Well, so, first off, let's get the universal TMs out of the way. Out of those, Voodoom does not have access to the following: Confide, Double Team, and Round. As none of these have significant competitive value, I see no reason not to add them as flavor moves.

Moving on to moves that I believe match Doom for flavorful reasons. Let's start with the Dark Type Moves introduced in Gens 5-7. First off, I'd like to suggest Brutal Swing. Observe the following in-game description of the move: "The user swings its body around violently to inflict damage on everything in its vicinity." Now, what is Doom based off of but voodoo dolls, which are famous for being able to manipulate a real person's body by moving the doll around, stabbing it with pins, lighting it on fire, etc. In addition to the fact that Doom is a Dark Type, and has the limbs to actually perform the move, I think that the move makes sense thematically due to the crazy and often painful or violent things done to the dolls. The other move that I think might work in this category would be Quash. In my head, it plays along a similar theme as earlier, with voodoo dolls being able to control other bodies, ergo Doom has the ability to make an opponent move last. However, I am exceedingly iffy on this one and am not too convinced myself it should be added. I simply mention it as a passing thought.

Next let's move on to fighting type moves. The moves from Gens 5-7 that I see working from this category are Low Sweep and Power-Up-Punch. The first of these two I believe should definitely be added, since Doom already learns Low Kick, ergo Low Sweep would make sense (Low Sweep is learned by 61% of mons that learn Low Kick, meaning I would expect to find it on a random mon that learns Low Kick). Furthermore, the learn rate of fighting types for Low Sweep is a staggering 81% (46 out of 57 mons)! It has little competitive value, therefore I fully believe it should be added. Similar to Quash, I am on the fence about Power-Up-Punch. The move does have slight competitive value in the form of being a stat-raising attack. However, seeing as Doom already learns Bulk Up, I don't see how P-u-P could possibly be worse. For reference, 74% of fighting types learn P-u-P, so it is something that would generally be expected on a fighting type, especially one with fists.

So, yeah. I haven't much looked into non-Dark or Fighting type moves, so if you think "Why didn't he mention this move?" and it's not one of those two types, then that's why. These are just my initial instinct additions.

I think Okamu covered the Dark/Fighting moves and universal TMs quite nicely, and I agree with everything in his post above.

What new non-competitive moves, if any, from Gens 5, 6, or 7 should we add to Voodoom's movepool that conform to its typing or design?

There's one non-STAB move that I think would be a really nice flavor addition for Voodoom, and that is the Gen 7 TM Smart Strike. Voodoom can use its needle as a sword, so it's perfectly suited to using such a move. Smart Strike's competitive impact is virtually zero, especially now that Voodoom has the stronger Flash Cannon at its disposal.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
One word:
Smart Strike

Nah, but seriously, Smart Strike is a pretty justifiable addtion to his flavor roster, as it has that giant needle that can be qualified as a horn.

Other stuff that might work:
Work Up: (Most Fighting types get it, so its not out of the realm of possibility)
Snarl: (Quite a few dark types get it, Voodoom is threatening, and it will most likely not outclass Dark Pulse)
Round (Near-Universal)
Quash (Pretty much double's only, and I like Okamu's description of it)
Hex (Since Voodoom is a cursed doll, doesn't seem to far out to give it this)
Foul Play (You know he plays dirty)
Fell Stinger (Same sorta idea as Smart Strike, but could be viable, so that's a worry)
Power-up Punch (Most Fighting types carry it , and it makes sense.)
Brutal Swing (Its Dark type, and you can imagine a toddler thrashing poor Voodoom around)
Throat Chop (Mixes the Fighting/Dark typing well)

Just throwing out ideas

So, after searching for Gen V/VI/VII moves, here's a list of move not mentioned yet that I think Voodoom could (not necessarily should) learn:

-Final Gambit: I think it makes sense for Voodoo doll to have a "taking you with me" attack.
-Infestation: A lot of Ghost-types can learn it, and Voodoom is a possessed doll, so there's a connection. Also Voodoom looks very dirty, so I could imagine bugs living inside of it.
-Quick/Wide Guard: Common moves for Fighting-types.
-Play Rough/Play Nice/Other "cute" moves: These are mostly because of the pre-evo:

I think it's similar to Phanpy, Teddiursa or Cubchoo, where the more serious-looking evolutions get this kind of moves just for their previous forms.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I agree with pretty much everything in Okamu's post. I can also get behind Hex.

I am in full support at Smart Strike as flavor, too. A fully-accurate Steel-type move that uses a pointy object? What better weapon to use than Voodoom's needle? There's a reference to "threading the needle" in there somewhere.

Retaliate is another widespread TM move that fits Voodoom's Dark/Fighting nature I hadn't seen mentioned.

I don't really have strong feelings about most of the other moves presented.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Like I did for Tomohawk (and likely will do for every CAP) I did an analysis of the moves that became easily obtainable after Voodoom's creation.

As with Tomo:

Yellow are the universal TMs Confide and Round, while Red are moves I think are too competitively strong for Voodoom. I was probably a bit less conservative here than I was with Tomo, since I am less worried about the impact of any one move on Voodoom. All the other moves fall in neither category and are good moves to look at. I do not believe that Voodoom currently learns any of the moves listed here.

Interestingly, as you might have noticed, there are actually less moves here than there were for Tomohawk, despite being an earlier gen Pokemon. That's because Voodoom had access to its generations Tutor moves, while Tomo was made before 5th gen tutors were introduced in BW2.

Anyways, here are some moves that I think might make for good additions. Remember that simply having a theoretical competitive use does not mean we should not be considering a move. Rather, we should only hesitate to give an otherwise fitting move if said competitive use would be more than somewhat niche. I saw this because a few moves I will mention here certainly can be used competitively, but that does not make them anything that I believe we should be worried about Voodoom using:

• Foul Play [Gen 5 & 6 Tutor] While certainly a competitive move, in theory, Voodoom is a special attacker, and will almost always be better off basing its power off its own stats, especially after a Nasty Plot. And with that being said, what is a voodoo doll if not some form of foul play. Honestly of all the new moves it could get, I'm not sure any would be more fitting than this.
  • Low Sweep [Gen 5, 6 & 7 TM] Its a common STAB move, and Voodoom already has Low Kick. It just makes sense.
  • Magic Room [Gen 5 & 6 Tutor] Of all the moves here, this might seem one of the most strange, but as its name suggests, Magic Room is learned by a number of Pokemon who are themed after various types of magic. Voodoom is based on a voodoo doll, and voodoo is very much a kind of magic. Also, fellow creepy doll Pokemon Banette gets it.
  • Power-Up Punch [Gen 6 TM] - Just as I said for Tomo, the only fighting types available in Gen 6 not to get it were Heracross, Hitmontop, Tyrogue and ones without arms, so the correlation is very high.
  • Retaliate [Gen 5 & 6 TM] Only a very, very few fighting types that existed when this was a TM did not get it. I see no reason Voodoom should be one of them.
  • Smart Strike [Gen 7 TM] Its got the needle to use it. Why not?
  • Snarl [Gen 5, 6 & 7 TM] An incredibly common move on Dark type Pokemon. I think its on around 80% of them.

Beyond the easily obtainable moves, one other move that has been mentioned that I really like is Hex. Flavor wise, it is just like Magic Room that I mentioned above, and even more so with the more sinister voodoo theme.

On the other hand, here are the moves others have mentioned I am not as sold on:
  • Brutal Swing [Gen 7 TM] This is far from a universal move on dark types. In fact, the vast majority don't get it. And I don't see any reason Voodoom should when guys like Bisharp, Cacturne and Scrafty do not.
  • Quash [Gen 5, 6 & 7 TM] While this has been a bit diluted in gen 7, back in gen 5, when Voodoom would have first had access to this move, there was a very strict theme held by the Pokemon that can learn Quash: rulers/bosses. Seriously, look at their names. Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Slowking, Kingler, Kingdra, Empoleon, Honchkrow, Vespiquen. The only exceptions are are a few of their prevos, Mew, Arceus, and Spiritomb. Even the legendary dogs all have references to monarchs/emperors in their Japanese names. So, while, as I said, the current gen has diluted this a bit by giving it to things like Alola Raticate, Alola Muk, and Incineroar, the general trend is still obvious, and I really don't think, as a Pokemon that existed back in gen 5, that Voodoom would have gotten this move.

Alright, I'm gonna take a stance that probably seems weird, but lemme explain. I am firmly against adding Snarl to Voodoom's movepool. I have one, and only one, reason for this belief. Please refer to the in-game description of Snarl: "The user yells as if it is ranting about something, making the target's Sp. Atk stat decrease." Now, please observe Voodoom's design. Looks specifically at its head; the mouth is stitched shut. Now, I don't know about most people, but I think that aggressive yelling is kind of not an option when your mouth is bound shut by string. Honestly, if it weren't for those stitches, I would have nothing against adding Snarl. As jas mentioned, 80% of dark types get the move. However, that leaves one-fifth of all dark mons that don't, and due to Voodoom's design, I believe it should fall within that 20%.

I guess now I'll just give my passing opinions on some other moves. First off, I have no idea how I managed to miss Foul Play when I was looking. I fully support adding that, as well as Smart Strike, and Hex. They make a good deal of flavor sense and don't appear overly useful in most battle scenarios. Besides those two and then two others, I'm largely neutral on every other move mentioned, and they would generally have my support if slated. The other two moves are ones that I am hesitant on: Final Gambit and Infestation. Although I understand the reasoning behind them, with Voodoom's decent speed tier, that does allow another set to open up that uses Final Gambit to just eliminate anything slower with 90 base HP or lower, assuming Spe and HP investments on Doom. That borders a bit on competitive value, hence I hesitate to support it outright. Does anyone else think it has legitimate competitive use, or am I just being too apprehensive here? I'm honestly not too sure. Infestation on the other hand I hesitate only because it allows Voodoom to trap a mon in. If it manages to trap a mon in that can't do much to Doom, that allows the set-up of Nasty Plot to +4 or possibly +6 with relative ease. However, that situation seems a bit tricky to obtain to me, and it also necessitates using Infestation over a coverage move like Psychic, Tbolt, or Flash Cannon, or a STAB Focus Blast or Dark Pulse. Again, I'm not sure if that's too competitively viable for what we're trying to do in flavor, so I'll just ask if anyone would be able to posit their opinions on that and help clarify.

First of all, I would like to give my support to some of the moves which have already been mentioned by some users, namely the universal TMs (Confide, Double Team and Round) and the moves that make sense thematically speaking (Foul Play, Hex, Low Sweep, Power-Up Punch, Retaliate and Smart Strike).

Magic Room is a bit bizarre, but I wouldn't mind it. Also, Quick Guard and Wide Guard could be a nod to the whole "ideal partner" behind Voodoom's concept, so I don't oppose them either.

Brutal Swing makes somewhat sense. I can picture Voodoom swinging its own body to inflict damage on its targets, so I can give my support to that as well. Snarl could work as well, since I can picture it moaning angrily and intimidating its foes. I have no opinion about Quash, but if it were to learn it, I could see it learning After You as well, both as a nod of it being a nice partner and with the same possession reasoning, where it "aids" its eventual teammate.

About my suggestions, there are a few moves which could be considered for Voodoom and that hadn't been mentioned or fully explored yet:

• Curse (Level Up/Egg) - It's a possessed doll, so it would make sense for it to learn this move. It is basically outclassed by Bulk Up, so I don't see why it couldn't get this move.

• Dual Chop (Tutor) - Many Fighting-types and Pokémon with arms can learn this move, so it's only fair for Voodoom to follow suit.

• Poison Jab (TM) - This may appear a bit more competitive to some people, but since both Scrafty and Pangoro can get the move and have an higher Attack, I don't see why Voodoom can't. Besides, running Poison Jab would mean either using it unboosted or aiming for a mixed spread, meaning that you would either sacrifice power or coverage, making it quite balanced (especially after considering that it will come from its barely usable 85 Attack).

• Psycho Shift (Level Up/Egg) - Wanted to inflict your pain and illness onto the opponent? Well, now you can.

• Psych Up (TM) - Imitating the opponent, to the point of copying even its stats? Makes sense to me.

• Role Play (Tutor) - "The user mimics the target completely, copying the target's natural Ability"… fits a voodoo doll to a T, along with the already known Mimic.

• Telekinesis (TM) - You know the whole thing that happens in cartoons, with a voodoo doll being able to lift and throw something or someone by throwing its voodoo doll? Well, this could very well be a reference to that.

• Thunder Punch (Tutor) - This is more suggested to create a BoltBeam combo with Ice Punch, and it is somewhat connected to Voodoom's affinity with electricity. Largely outclassed by Thunderbolt.

These are the more consistent moves I have found so far.

G-Luke

Final Gambit even as a Scarf set would be rather niche, and would be much better off using Nasty Plot to punch through members of the opposing team.

Infestation has no competitive merit on Voodoom what so ever, as not only does it require Voodoom to sacrifice useful coverage, but Voodoom doesn't have the bulk nor the defensive typing needed to exploit the attack.

Alright, I'm gonna take a stance that probably seems weird, but lemme explain. I am firmly against adding Snarl to Voodoom's movepool. I have one, and only one, reason for this belief. Please refer to the in-game description of Snarl: "The user yells as if it is ranting about something, making the target's Sp. Atk stat decrease." Now, please observe Voodoom's design. Looks specifically at its head; the mouth is stitched shut. Now, I don't know about most people, but I think that aggressive yelling is kind of not an option when your mouth is bound shut by string. Honestly, if it weren't for those stitches, I would have nothing against adding Snarl. As jas mentioned, 80% of dark types get the move. However, that leaves one-fifth of all dark mons that don't, and due to Voodoom's design, I believe it should fall within that 20%.

I guess now I'll just give my passing opinions on some other moves. First off, I have no idea how I managed to miss Foul Play when I was looking. I fully support adding that, as well as Smart Strike, and Hex. They make a good deal of flavor sense and don't appear overly useful in most battle scenarios. Besides those two and then two others, I'm largely neutral on every other move mentioned, and they would generally have my support if slated. The other two moves are ones that I am hesitant on: Final Gambit and Infestation. Although I understand the reasoning behind them, with Voodoom's decent speed tier, that does allow another set to open up that uses Final Gambit to just eliminate anything slower with 90 base HP or lower, assuming Spe and HP investments on Doom. That borders a bit on competitive value, hence I hesitate to support it outright. Does anyone else think it has legitimate competitive use, or am I just being too apprehensive here? I'm honestly not too sure. Infestation on the other hand I hesitate only because it allows Voodoom to trap a mon in. If it manages to trap a mon in that can't do much to Doom, that allows the set-up of Nasty Plot to +4 or possibly +6 with relative ease. However, that situation seems a bit tricky to obtain to me, and it also necessitates using Infestation over a coverage move like Psychic, Tbolt, or Flash Cannon, or a STAB Focus Blast or Dark Pulse. Again, I'm not sure if that's too competitively viable for what we're trying to do in flavor, so I'll just ask if anyone would be able to posit their opinions on that and help clarify.
I'm with you on Snarl (no thanks to Snarl), Foul Play, Hex, and Smart Strike. Not much to say here.

Final Gambit might have a niche, especially combined with Volt Absorb. It could hypothetically switch into something that is giving the team a hard time, then OHKO something that, depending on what it is, shouldn't die to a Voodoom, or at least not an easy OHKO. Yeah, it kills Doom, but I say we don't risk it with Final Gambit.

Infestation might seem bad, but like G-Luke mentioned, it doesn't have the bulk in order to exploit it and it would have to sacrifice coverage. Also, the opponent could predict Infestation and switch into something like a Tapu Lele or Tomohawk, then preceed to blow Voodoom away, so I think it's fine.

Here are all the other moves so far I agree with.

Magic Room
Universal TMs (Double Team, Confide, Round)
Low Sweep
After You
Play Nice
(The Prevo argument from the OP of this move is good to me)
Dual Chop
Quick Guard
Wide Guard
Retaliate
Power-Up Punch
Throat Chop
Telekinesis

Work Up
is a move I haven't seen much on, but I think it would be good flavor, and Nasty Plot outclasses Work Up 100%.

Ally Switch is something nobody has talked about, but I like it a lot. It makes sense with the original concept of "the perfect teammate", and it seems rather tricky and sinister, making the opponent hit something they didn't want to- perfect for a dark type.

Last edited:
While Snarl can be seen as out of place because of the stitches, it is already learned by Darkrai and Bisharp, and I don't think they even have mouths

Just a quick reminder guys, these moves are supposed to be from Generations 5, 6, and 7. Four of the suggested moves do not fall under these categories, they are as follows:

Poison Jab (4), Role Play (3), Psych Up (2), Curse (2), Bind (1), Thunder Punch (1), and Psycho Shift (4)

As for the Snarl stuff...
While Snarl can be seen as out of place because of the stitches, it is already learned by Darkrai and Bisharp, and I don't think they even have mouths
Fair point, fair point. Bisharp actually appears to have a mouth (there's a V-shaped line where it would be under the visor-looking thing), but Darkrai absolutely doesn't look like it has one. I can also understand the argument of a startling muffled scream, since that would intimidate me as well. I'll sit on it a bit more and peruse the other Snarl mons for mouth-presence-ness. :P At this point, again, I don't find myself in any direct opposition to suggested moves, though I am surprised by the sheer amount of moves that seem to fit, I must say.

Alright, first time posting here so hi everyone.

In a way, I feel Smart Strike and Hex are like a necessity for Voodoom with it's entire voodoo doll and black magic theme. They don't really add much to almost at all to its normal set, but I feel that those should be to Voodoom like what BB is to most Flying types.

I can also get behind Work Up and PuP (also some shenanigans with Z-Work Up if you wanna be that guy).

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think people are going a little overboard on new flavor moves. What we should do is go in succession, and consider TMs/Tutors, newly introduced moves, and for any that aren't easily accessible where Voodoom might get them from. Voodoom's Egg Group is Humanshape/Field, but don't use Smeargle as an excuse.

In any case, Voodoom has HGSS Tutors so we have to move from there.

5th Gen:

TMs:
Ally Switch (this usually is distributed solely to Psychic types but it makes flavor sense with Voodoom's concept)
Bulldoze (anything with EQ tends to get this.)
Double Team (for some reason Voodoom does not learn this, but it should)
Echoed Voice (Voodoom has Perish Song, so this fits)
Low Sweep (Basically every fighting type with legs recieved this)
Round (Universal TM)
Smack Down (All the Humanshape Fighting types gained this move)
Snarl (Every Dark type gets this)
Work Up (Every Normal and Fighting type gets this)

Tutors:
After You (I think Voodoom should generally get "partner" type doubles moves)
Dark Pulse* (repeat)
Dual Chop (Many but not all of the Humanshape Fighting types learned this move)
Foul Play (Every Dark type gets this)
Hyper Voice (Everything with Perish Song learns this move)

Newly Introduced:
Hex (Fits Voodoom's theme, is strictly inferior to Dark Pulse in nearly every relevant instance.) Could learn either level-up or Egg from Vulpix or Absol.

6th Gen:
TMs:

Confide (Universal TM)
Power-Up Punch (Basically all Fighting types get this.)
Secret Power (Universal TM)

Tutors:

Focus Punch* (Repeat)
Shock Wave* (Repeat)

7th Gen:
TMs:

Smart Strike (Voodoom's Pin/Sword)

So, I've been looking at the list of all the moves of gen 7, the only moves that haven't been mentioned and that I think fit a Voodoo Doll well are Strength Sap and Tearful look.

Strength Sap is something I'm not very sure of since it's a grass type attack and is currently an exclusive move to the Shiinotic race. Basically, it makes the user restores its HP by the same amount as the target's Attack stat. It also lowers the target's Attack stat. Something that very much fits a Voodoo Doll to me and also doesn't sound like something Voodoom would abuse of since lowering the attack stat means that you can't use the attack repetitively.

Tearful Look also very much fits Voodoom, it basically lowers the target's Attack and Sp. Atk stats while using its teary eyes to make the target lose its combative spirit. While I understand it doesn't really have eyes, it's a trick move which suits its Dark Type not to mention that voodoo dolls can also be used for emotions, and crying is an action due to emotions.

I think people are going a little overboard on new flavor moves. What we should do is go in succession, and consider TMs/Tutors, newly introduced moves, and for any that aren't easily accessible where Voodoom might get them from. Voodoom's Egg Group is Humanshape/Field, but don't use Smeargle as an excuse.
While I admit that we should try to be more organized, I also believe that now is the point to bring as many new moves as possible, not every move has to end in the final update, but we should try to consider as many as posible and then go from there.

As for the moves you mentioned I'd like talk about 2:

-Smack Down: Actually not a lot of Fighting types get this (Not the Hitmons, Lucario, Pangoro, Infernape, Hawlucha, etc.) and the ones that do tend to be more slow and physically-oriented than Voodoom.

-Dual Chop: The Fighting types that get this either have claws or at least well defined hands. I really don't see Voodom with its fluffy hands chopping anything.

Other than than I pretty much agree with the list.

In any case, Voodoom has HGSS Tutors so we have to move from there.

5th Gen:

TMs:
Ally Switch (this usually is distributed solely to Psychic types but it makes flavor sense with Voodoom's concept)
Bulldoze (anything with EQ tends to get this.)
Double Team (for some reason Voodoom does not learn this, but it should)
Echoed Voice (Voodoom has Perish Song, so this fits)
Low Sweep (Basically every fighting type with legs recieved this)
Round (Universal TM)
Smack Down (All the Humanshape Fighting types gained this move)
Snarl (Every Dark type gets this)
Work Up (Every Normal and Fighting type gets this)

Tutors:
After You (I think Voodoom should generally get "partner" type doubles moves)
Dark Pulse* (repeat)
Dual Chop (Many but not all of the Humanshape Fighting types learned this move)
Foul Play (Every Dark type gets this)
Hyper Voice (Everything with Perish Song learns this move)

Newly Introduced:
Hex (Fits Voodoom's theme, is strictly inferior to Dark Pulse in nearly every relevant instance.) Could learn either level-up or Egg from Vulpix or Absol.

6th Gen:
TMs:

Confide (Universal TM)
Power-Up Punch (Basically all Fighting types get this.)
Secret Power (Universal TM)
Tutors:
Focus Punch* (Repeat)
Shock Wave* (Repeat)

7th Gen:
TMs:

Smart Strike (Voodoom's Pin/Sword)
I agree with this list, but something I would like to remind everyone on is that Voodoom's doll buddy Banette gets the move I'm about to mention via move tutor. However, I believe Magic Room should be an egg move from the Gothitelle line. It works, as Gothitelle is in Human-Like, and so is Voodoom, so I say we give Voodoom Magic Room via egg move. If not that, then maybe as a tutor move to match Banette.

Last edited:
I like most of the moves suggested. I don't think anyone has really suggested it, but Cotton Guard could be an option. Since Voodoom somewhat resembles a plush doll, and some Pokemon without physical cotton or fluffiness on their bodies like Maractus get this move, I do not think it much of a stretch to give it to Voodoom. It is not really competitive, since defense boosting moves are never really useful if the opponent gets a crit and Voodoom cannot afford to give up the moveslot anyway. It also can get it through breeding with Ampharos line and Furfrou.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Loving discussion so far guys! Consider this a 24 hour warning, though it might be an hour or so before I get the slate and poll up.

I especially like Smart Strike, Hex, and Foul Play. Snarl isn't really cutting it for me flavor-wise given that it's mouth is stitched shut (for reference, Bisharp DOES have a mouth, and Darkrai makes a really scratchy sound in-game), but I won't disallow it just because I don't like it.

However, I'm going to disallow Strength Sap now. I don't want to go near reliable recovery at this stage.

G-Luke

Tearful Look can get a nod from me as well.

I support Snarl, not only because it a extremely common Dark type move, but the mouth not emitting sound argument is flawed as it already learns both Perish Song and Screech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)