CAP LC Metagame Discussion

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
This is half-correct imo. CAP prevos really don't have any competitive reasoning behind them. Maybe some of the submitters try to get good LC stats, but there's no big LC discussion. So while it's created as a prevo, it's not exactly created to be balanced in the meta. Not saying that I don't agree with you about eventually removing Belly Drum, but my point is that whether or not a lot of these mons end up good or bad is a good bit of luck tbh.

On another note, I've seen a good bit of talk about Dazzling Gleam Snugglow talked about in the thread, but I can't think of a good reason why you'd run that over Psychic instead. The only Dark-types that it hits super effectively are Carvanha and Vullaby, which get destroyed by Thunderbolt. Psychic eats Croagunk and Foongus and hits Meinfoo and Timburr a little harder. Or did I miss something that makes Dazzling Gleam a better choice
Dazzling Gleam hits Scraggy which otherwise can set up on you I suppose, but it really depends on what you want. If you feel like you can deal with Scraggy well enough, run Psychic since it also helps you deal with things such as Foongus which can live any attack and just use Spore. Psychic is probably the better option imo, seeing that it deals with more common things such as Fighting-types and Foongus while Dazzling Gleam is really for just one Pokemon.

If b-drum gets removed on Cawdet then i do see a choice band set developing, but until then b-drum will be the only set ever used.
Choice Band is bad in LC because of the way Level 5 Calculations work. I won't go into the details, but essentially Life Orb does the same amount or even more damage than Choice Band. Basically, never use Choice Band in LC because having Life Orb is better since you can switch between moves.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/lc-rolls-explained.3508889/

Heres a rather good thread that should help everyone understand LC rolls.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I figured, with Little CAP coming up, I would provide a pretty fun sample team that KrazyCake and I built together. It was built around the somewhat unique Scrappy Scratchet set since we wanted to see how viable it would be (and it turned out to be pretty similar to how Offensive Tomohawk works in a way). Anyways, onto the team.

Scratchet @
/

Ability: Scrappy
Level: 5
EVs: 236 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Facade / Roost
- Return
- Rapid Spin
Scratchet was the focal point of this team so it was the start of this team. The reason Krazy and I wanted to go with the Scrappy > Prankster was because we wanted to test the viability of it since we knew Prankster sets do pretty well in CAP LC. Superpower was the only option for Fighting STAB as it lacks Close Combat. Facade and Return are the Normal STABs of choice and with Scrappy it wasn't necessary to run coverage for Ghost-types. Facade allows it to be a pseudo-status absorber while Return hits harder prior to being statused. Roost can be used over Facade if you feel the team absorbs status well enough due to Snugglow absorbing poison and paralysis and Volkritter absorbing potential burns. Lastly, the main draw of Scrappy is Rapid Spin, as it allows the team reliable hazard control since nothing can spinblock it.

Syclar @

Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 36 HP / 244 SpA / 188 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
Syclar was the next addition as it served as a nice lead that could help threaten Flying-types with Compoundeyes Blizzard and support the team with Spikes. Taunt allows Syclar to potentially avoid other leads from setting up their entry hazards while Earth Power is the coverage move of choice to hit Ice resists such as Volkritter and potentially revenge kill them if Sash is intact.

Volkritter @

Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 196 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump
- Memento / Destiny Bond
Volkritter is the team's Scarfer and rightfully so. While it lacks Analytic that makes its evolution, Volkraken, so much more potent, Volkritter can still use Infiltrator to avoid losing to setup sweepers behind Substitutes while it can grab easy momentum with U-turn. The last slot fulfills a more utility role as Memento can give Drilbur opportunity to set up a Swords Dance while Destiny Bond can bring down a threat that may have gotten out of hand.

Drilbur @
/

Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 76 Atk / 36 Def / 76 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
Drilbur is the SR mon and Snugglow check for the team. Thanks to Scratchet running Rapid Spin, Drilbur has the option to forgo it for SD to become a potent wallbreaker and potential win condition. Stealth Rock allows Drilbur to also help support the team and provides a hazardstack core with Syclar.

Snugglow @

Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 36 HP / 124 Def / 28 SpA / 52 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb
- Psychic / Water Pulse
- Encore
Snugglow is so fantastic in CAP LC as it provides such a nice glue to so many teams. Thunderbolt and Sludge Bomb are self-explanatory while the coverage move of choice boils down to if you want to hit Scratchet hard as well as opposing Snugglow or if you would rather surprise Drilbur and other Ground-types. Encore is there to force slower Pokemon into continue using a harmless move so the team can gain momentum and can force switches, racking up entry hazard damage thanks to Syclar and Drilbur's support.

Vullaby @

Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 116 HP / 76 Atk / 236 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
Vullably was added as it formed a very solid core with Snugglow and provided Knock Off support to help cripple the opponent. Without the need of Defog, we had more room for utility on Vullaby, allowing us to run U-turn and Brave Bird to give us a way to combat Fighting-types such as Scratchet and Mienfoo and gain momentum.

And there you have it. The importable is below as well as some replays showcasing the team :)

Replays: 1 2

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Just a quick note here that I feel should be said.

With the changes that have been made to the CaP Mons proper recently (and which are ongoing), there is the potential for the same to happen within LC regarding movepools at the minimum, with Ability changes also a possibility. I am leaning against any Stat changes for any prevos (the only one which has gotten one into SM is Woobat, and everyone believes that's because of a typo). CaP Proper will always set precedence for CaP LC and we will always need to work within what the community at large decides for those designs.

KrazyCake has already spoken to me about getting the other CaP Prevos moving (something I have wanted to get going for a while) and I believe I will start this up as soon as the CaP Proper changes have happened. I might just throw down a bunch of votes for designs/names etc to get some basics before we dive into sorting out the Gen 4 caps (twice over, once to "make them" in G4 and then update them to match their G7 parents). Those votes will likely start tonight (my time), as there is a lot of impetus right now and I would like to ride that wave a little bit.

Yes, this does mean Breezi might pick up Stealth Rock and (potentially) Acrobatics.

Going forwards with creating new CaP Prevos, I would prefer if we remained primarily Flavour in how we design them. I have never been against competitively minded reasoning however, but I would like CaP Prevo creation to remain "looser" than CaP proper. Infact, it is a minor miracle that we have ended up with such a good "spread" of LC mons (with a few more to come) ranging from outright broken (Cawdet) to not so great (Cupra).

I also concur that for the time being, Cawdet should be banned. We all know how ridiculous it is and even without BD I think it would be very nasty anyway.

EPICflygon ( '-')>

Banned deucer.
I will post a team soon enough but im just gonna leave this here
pawniard is the best counter to pluffle (The opposing Pluffle used Parting Shot! Pawniard'sAttack fell! [Pawniard's Defiant!] Pawniard's Attack rose sharply! Pawniard's Special Attack fell! [Pawniard's Defiant!] Pawniard's Attack rose sharply!)

Gummy

...three, smiles go for miles!
Don't know about this metagame and such but Pluffle seems cool enough. Not great by any means, but I think it's a useable partner to setup sweepers (Tail Glow Syclar?? I'm guessing Shellder and Zigzagoon are still good, etc) thanks to the neat combination of Parting Shot + Yawn and ridiculous bulk. Using Yawn basically forces them to switch, giving you the momentum when you click Parting Shot. Their other option is to not switch, but in that case they just fall asleep and give you a free turn to setup. A little gimmicky, but its neat enough!

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Hey, thread revival time!

Honestly, I built this team a little bit back, but never got to post it. I don't exactly know what to call it, so it will be Pawniard Offense for now.
Pawniard (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Volkritter @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 196 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Memento

Pluffle @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 84 HP / 188 Def / 212 SpD
Calm Nature
- Parting Shot
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

Chinchou @ Berry Juice
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 152 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Heal Bell

Necturine @ Eviolite
Ability: Anticipation
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 124 HP / 196 Def / 156 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic Spikes
- Spore

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 236 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Dark Pulse
- Heat Wave

There really isn't much to this team honestly. Pawniard serves as the main attacker of it, as he can proceed to SD sweep once his threats are down. Pluffle provides wish support while beating the fighting type that cause Pawniard trouble. Scarf Kritter takes down the faster threats such as Syclar and Diglett and is my best steel check. Chinchou serves as a defensive pivot and can provide some Heal Bell assistance if anyone gets a status. Necturine sets Toxic Spikes (since webs can trigger defiant Pawn), and Spore is chosen to makes threatening mons fall asleep to setup on them. Finally, Vullaby serves as a backup sweeper in the case that Pawniard goes down, and hits physically inclined stuff better.

Last edited:
With CAP LC being a part of the upcoming CAPTT, I decided to compile usage stats from the Little CAP forum tour back in May.
Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| 1    | Scratchet          |   59 |  50.86% |  54.24% |
| 2    | Vullaby            |   54 |  46.55% |  57.41% |
| 2    | Syclar             |   54 |  46.55% |  51.85% |
| 4    | Necturine          |   47 |  40.52% |  38.30% |
| 5    | Mienfoo            |   38 |  32.76% |  42.11% |
| 6    | Pawniard           |   37 |  31.90% |  45.95% |
| 7    | Volkritter         |   36 |  31.03% |  47.22% |
| 8    | Snugglow           |   33 |  28.45% |  57.58% |
| 9    | Staryu             |   27 |  23.28% |  51.85% |
| 10   | Brattler           |   19 |  16.38% |  52.63% |
| 10   | Abra               |   19 |  16.38% |  52.63% |
| 10   | Chinchou           |   19 |  16.38% |  42.11% |
| 13   | Onix               |   16 |  13.79% |  56.25% |
| 13   | Diglett            |   16 |  13.79% |  31.25% |
| 15   | Gastly             |   14 |  12.07% |  71.43% |
| 15   | Timburr            |   14 |  12.07% |  57.14% |
| 17   | Shellder           |   13 |  11.21% |  61.54% |
| 17   | Zigzagoon          |   13 |  11.21% |  53.85% |
| 17   | Drilbur            |   13 |  11.21% |  53.85% |
| 17   | Pluffle            |   13 |  11.21% |  30.77% |
| 21   | Breezi             |   11 |   9.48% |  54.55% |
| 21   | Magnemite          |   11 |   9.48% |  54.55% |
| 23   | Vulpix-Alola       |   10 |   8.62% |  90.00% |
| 23   | Ferroseed          |   10 |   8.62% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Grimer-Alola       |   10 |   8.62% |  40.00% |
| -    | Pumpkaboo-*        |    7 |   6.03% |  57.14% |
| 26   | Foongus            |    7 |   6.03% |  42.86% |
| 27   | Frillish           |    6 |   5.17% |  50.00% |
| 28   | Ponyta             |    5 |   4.31% |  60.00% |
| 28   | Pumpkaboo-Super    |    5 |   4.31% |  60.00% |
| 28   | Croagunk           |    5 |   4.31% |  60.00% |
| 28   | Mudbray            |    5 |   4.31% |  40.00% |
| 28   | Surskit            |    5 |   4.31% |  40.00% |
| 28   | Cottonee           |    5 |   4.31% |  40.00% |
| 34   | Snubbull           |    4 |   3.45% |  75.00% |
| 34   | Larvesta           |    4 |   3.45% |  25.00% |
| 36   | Spritzee           |    3 |   2.59% |  66.67% |
| 36   | Kabuto             |    3 |   2.59% |  33.33% |
| 36   | Sandshrew-Alola    |    3 |   2.59% |  33.33% |
| 39   | Omanyte            |    2 |   1.72% | 100.00% |
| 39   | Sunkern            |    2 |   1.72% | 100.00% |
| 39   | Corphish           |    2 |   1.72% |  50.00% |
| 39   | Scraggy            |    2 |   1.72% |  50.00% |
| 39   | Snivy              |    2 |   1.72% |  50.00% |
| 39   | Froakie            |    2 |   1.72% |   0.00% |
| 45   | Snover             |    1 |   0.86% | 100.00% |
| 45   | Makuhita           |    1 |   0.86% | 100.00% |
| 45   | Wingull            |    1 |   0.86% | 100.00% |
| 45   | Rufflet            |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 45   | Salandit           |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 45   | Turtwig            |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 45   | Doduo              |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 45   | Dwebble            |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 45   | Clamperl           |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 45   | Embirch            |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 45   | Spinarak           |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 45   | Wynaut             |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 45   | Pancham            |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 45   | Floatoy            |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 45   | Pumpkaboo-Small    |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 45   | Skrelp             |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 45   | Taillow            |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
Code:
+ ---- + ----------------------- + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Leads                   | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
+ ---- + ----------------------- + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| 1    | Necturine               |   14 |  12.07% |  35.71% |
| 2    | Onix                    |   10 |   8.62% |  70.00% |
| 2    | Syclar                  |   10 |   8.62% |  60.00% |
| 2    | Mienfoo                 |   10 |   8.62% |  50.00% |
| 5    | Scratchet               |    9 |   7.76% |  66.67% |
| 6    | Volkritter              |    8 |   6.90% |  50.00% |
| 7    | Staryu                  |    7 |   6.03% |  42.86% |
| 8    | Brattler                |    5 |   4.31% |  40.00% |
| 8    | Pawniard                |    5 |   4.31% |  20.00% |
| 10   | Surskit                 |    4 |   3.45% |  50.00% |
| 10   | Vullaby                 |    4 |   3.45% |  25.00% |
| 12   | Croagunk                |    3 |   2.59% |  66.67% |
| 12   | Snugglow                |    3 |   2.59% |  33.33% |
| 14   | Ferroseed               |    2 |   1.72% | 100.00% |
| 14   | Chinchou                |    2 |   1.72% |  50.00% |
| 14   | Breezi                  |    2 |   1.72% |  50.00% |
| 14   | Timburr                 |    2 |   1.72% |  50.00% |
| 14   | Drilbur                 |    2 |   1.72% |   0.00% |
| 19   | Mudbray                 |    1 |   0.86% | 100.00% |
| 19   | Larvesta                |    1 |   0.86% | 100.00% |
| 19   | Snubbull                |    1 |   0.86% | 100.00% |
| 19   | Sunkern                 |    1 |   0.86% | 100.00% |
| 19   | Pluffle                 |    1 |   0.86% | 100.00% |
| 19   | Abra                    |    1 |   0.86% | 100.00% |
| 19   | Vulpix-Alola            |    1 |   0.86% | 100.00% |
| 19   | Shellder                |    1 |   0.86% | 100.00% |
| 19   | Grimer-Alola            |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 19   | Dwebble                 |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 19   | Diglett                 |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 19   | Spinarak                |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 19   | Magnemite               |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
| 19   | Sandshrew-Alola         |    1 |   0.86% |   0.00% |
I'm not too knowledgeable about the metagame, but here's what I can gather from the stats:
  • Scratchet and Syclar are the most splashable CAP mons, with both of them getting high usage and decent win rates.
  • Vullaby is a dominant force in the metagame.
  • Necturine is generally overhyped, especially lead Sticky Web sets judging from the lead stats.
  • The metagame seems fairly resilient to trapper+sweeper combinations; Diglett's success rate was rather low.
  • Veil offense is anti-meta. Vulpix-A wasn't exactly the most common Pokemon, but when it did show up it was a force to be reckoned with, boasting an incredible 90% win rate.
Some of these observations may be off, so forgive me if that's the case. Anything else interesting you can draw from these stats? What strategies do you think we can expect to see in CAPTT?

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Now accepting brief applications for moderately official (pre-official?) CAP LC Viability Ranking Council positions. If interested, PM me and show proof of your activity and commitment to CAP LC and briefly explain why you think you would be an excellent member of the VR council.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
The pre-official CAP LC VR council now consists of ItzViper482, Drew, PD, and myself. I received more applications that just these but these were the people who I've been able to discuss the metagame with and vet their knowledge. Through the use of multiple teams, they have displayed that they have knowledge on all of the CAP LC mons, not just the one or two that they have on a single team.

If you still wish to be considered, you are allowed to send in an application at any time, including those who submitted this time but who were not accepted.

EDIT: Just added jox

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Post number 2 has been updated with the VR Council's rough start to the rankings, ad as such discussion on VR is now allowed. Also this means sam-testings 's second post in this thread will be flooded with more likes for something he didn't even contribute towards :3

Just as a brief overview, Scratchet was obviously destined to S rank due to basically the same reasons why Tomohawk is S rank in normal CAP; great offensive and defensive stats and a great support movepool with prankster allow Scratchet to excel in many different roles. In addition, Scrappy also allows Scratchet to spin through Ghost-types, making the effectiveness of things such as Sticky Web slightly diminish.

Scratchet is everwhere. Abra, Vullaby, and Mienfoo are all S ranked in normal LC and their ability to threaten the new king Scratchet firmly plants them in S as well. Meanwhile, things such as Staryu faced slightly more competition from Scratchet's ability to spin. Timburr, though a threat to Scratchet itself, faces competition from the king cat as a bulk up user as Scratchet's ability to utilize prankster to set up and BP to pass boosts makes it an effective fighting-type choice over Timburr in some situations. Nonetheless, like Staryu, Timburr was not dropped very far as its mono-typing and access to better coverage moves still lets it be a fearesome threat.

Syclar and Snugglow were both ranked A+, the former for its great offensive abilities that let it deal with threats such as Vullaby and for its ability to set up with both Tail Glow and Swords Dance and the later for its typing and offensive capabilities that let it take on so much of the meta. Snugglow, in many respects, is similar to Croagunk but has more immediate power and speed as the cost of not having priority. However, its electric and flying resistance allows fewer opportunities for Snugglow to be defeated.

Necturine was a very difficult mon to rank with many differing opinions from the VR council. In the end, we chose to start it off at A due to its versatility and its ability to become one of the most threatening shell smashers in the tier with a coverage move to hit Scratchet to boot, allowing it to 1v1 it through haze removals if necessary.

Volkritter landed at A- for its potent STABs that allow it to revenge a good portion of the metagame. However, without Analytic it lacks some of the pressure its evo has and mons such as Staryu are able to wall it. It does excel as a pivot though, minimizing some the negatives of being walled by bulky waters.

From here on out, changes are minor and the rankings perhaps harder to decide. A lot of the normal LC mons were left in their general places with only minor drops and shits, which means that the VR as it stands is far from complete. Mons such as Breezi and Embirch had notable niches that their hazards and typings provided but struggle to switch in.

As this is the initial VR, it is flat out impossible to explain our thoughts on each and every mon without making a big fat long post that bores everyone to death. So instead we hope that this post will suffice with enough of the bigger details. As people discuss the rankings and as the meta develops, we will welcome changes to the rankings with open arms.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
As this hasn't been posted in for a while:

Rebble, Privatyke and Voodoll should be on the server and live soon. I have spoken to Marty and submitted code to him to double check (I'm mostly sure its correct). There were a few odd instances of moves being added along the line (and I must have missed them during submissions).

Either way, if the code is correct, expect new LC mons on the server sooner rather than later!

With the new CAPLC mons being introduced, it's easy to see already the impact of Rebble on the metagame. With STAB power gem, Levatate allowing it to not be trapped, and an extremely solid movepoll including but not limited to: Fire Blast, Giga Drain, Energy Ball, Dazzling Gleam, Accelerock, Fire blast, Earth Power, Stealth Rock, Substitute, Calm Mind, and Rock Polish. It sits at a nice 18 speed Timid, outspeeding threats such as Mienfoo, Vullaby, Scratchet and Snivy, and ties all of them if modest (exept Vull, which it outspeeds either way). There was a recent mini Create A Team, and we came up with the following set
Rebble @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 76 Def / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 9 HP / 0 Atk
- Power Gem
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
Power gem is the obligatory STAB, and deals heavy damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Iv's were tailored to take less Life Orb recoil. Dazzling Gleam 2HKO's every viable fighting type in the tier. Fire Blast OHKO's Snivy and Pawniard, and Power Gem into Fire Blast KO's Foongus. Stealth Rock was the last move used, but it can be subbed for coverage or a boosting move if you would prefer. Earth power 2HKO's Grimer-A, and decimates Snugglow. Power Gem into Earth Power will KO Pawniard and Croagunk as well, but you will have to eat a Sucker Punch or Vacuum Wave.

However, perhaps the most important part of Rebble is its deceptive bulk. it can eat so many more hits than anyone can expect. For example, Timburr has a 1/16 chance of Ko'ing you with 1 tick of Life orb recoil into Mach Punch, while Rebble can do upwards of 3/4 of Tumburr's health with a Dazzling Gleam. The same rule applies with grimer, where it has a 1/16 chance of KO'ing with Knock Off. Down below are some Calc's showing off how dominant it can be with proper prediction.

I know there hasn't been a lot of time with these new CAP mons, but I would advocate for at least A rank, but it could easily be A+, or even S, since it has the benefits of rock typing, while not being able to be trapped by Diglett. It also avoids Sticky Webs, where it can fire off powerful attacks to Pokemon who wouldn't expect it.

If anyone has any CAPLC replays with rebble, send them to me so I can add them here :]

Manually adding in Evio boosts for CAP Pokemon since PS damage calc doesn't think they're LC mons.
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Dazzling Gleam vs. +1 0 HP / 40 SpD Scratchet: 13-18 (59 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Dazzling Gleam vs. +1 236 HP / 196 SpD Scratchet: 13-16 (52 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Snivy: 21-26 (100 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Fire Blast vs. 124 HP / 160 SpD Eviolite Foongus: 18-23 (72 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Fire Blast vs. 84 HP / 228 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 26-36 (118.1 - 163.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Dazzling Gleam vs. 156 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 13-18 (56.5 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 16-21 (76.1 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 21-26 (100 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 16-21 (76.1 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Earth Power vs. 52 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Croagunk: 16-21 (72.7 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Earth Power vs. 36 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Grimer-Alola: 16-21 (64 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Power Gem vs. 36 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Grimer-Alola: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
0- Atk Life Orb Oddish Accelerock vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Syclar: 21-31 (105 - 155%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Non Eviolite)
0- Atk Life Orb Oddish Accelerock vs. +1 0 HP / 76 Def Syclar: 16-21 (80 - 105%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (Eviolite)
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Power Gem vs. 116 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 18-26 (72 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Timburr: 18-23 (75 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Fire Blast vs. +1 172 HP / 76 SpD Necturine: 16-21 (69.5 - 91.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Fire Blast vs. 172 HP / 76 SpD Necturine: 23-29 (100 - 126%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Earth Power vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Chinchou: 26-31 (104 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Earth Power vs. 196 HP / 100+ SpD Eviolite Mareanie: 13-18 (54.1 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Earth Power vs. +1 0 HP / 212 SpD Snugglow: 26-36 (130 - 180%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Power Gem vs. 116 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Staryu: 12-16 (57.1 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Onix: 16-21 (80 - 105%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Life Orb Oddish Power Gem vs. 116 HP / 196+ SpD Eviolite Slowpoke: 9-13 (33.3 - 48.1%) -- 87.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
With the new CAPLC mons being introduced, it's easy to see already the impact of Rebble on the metagame. With STAB power gem, Levatate allowing it to not be trapped, and an extremely solid movepoll including but not limited to: Fire Blast, Giga Drain, Energy Ball, Dazzling Gleam, Accelerock, Fire blast, Earth Power, Stealth Rock, Substitute, Calm Mind, and Rock Polish. It sits at a nice 18 speed Timid, outspeeding threats such as Mienfoo, Vullaby, Scratchet and Snivy, and ties all of them if modest (exept Vull, which it outspeeds either way). There was a recent mini Create A Team, and we came up with the following set
Rebble @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 76 Def / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 9 HP / 0 Atk
- Power Gem
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

However, perhaps the most important part of Rebble is its deceptive bulk. it can eat so many more hits than anyone can expect.
This cool information. This is actually pretty much the set I was using the other night and it's definitely potent. Syclar smacks you around a bit but having a decent way to deal with Vullaby and Snugglow are huge benefits. I definitely think it will be highly ranked in the future.

Has anyone has much playtime with Voodoll or Privatyke yet? I think I saw both used in matches the other day, but I'm not sure how well they did.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
This cool information. This is actually pretty much the set I was using the other night and it's definitely potent. Syclar smacks you around a bit but having a decent way to deal with Vullaby and Snugglow are huge benefits. I definitely think it will be highly ranked in the future.

Has anyone has much playtime with Voodoll or Privatyke yet? I think I saw both used in matches the other day, but I'm not sure how well they did.
I'm not too experienced with CAP LC, but it seems hard to pass Nasty Plot boosts with Voodoll when you're 4x to Fighting (meaning you're weak to Timburr's Mach Punch and Croagunk's Vacuum Wave). Losing out on STAB Aura Sphere is a pretty big loss, meaning you're more vulnerable to Scratchet, though if you invest enough, Aura Sphere and Psychic do a good amount of damage.

What does seem nice is when Voodoll draws in Fairy-types like Pluffle and Spritzee, it can pass Nasty Plot boosts to Snugglow, which already boasts really great stats. The two-move coverage is a bit of a pain Because Spritzee could catch Snugglow with Psychic on the switch-in, it'd be nice if Voodoll could threaten Spritzee with a hard-hitting +2 LO Hyper Voice. But then you have to pick your favorite of Aura Sphere and Psychic to hit Scratchet with. Either way leaves you without a way to hit Gastly or Pawniard, but I guess when the point of the spread is to pass boosts, it really doesn't matter.

Still, I'm glad we have a Nasty Plot passer that's not Togepi, and I'd like to be proven wrong with my first-impression analysis.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Hey all!

I have some important news to bring you today in the shape of a small tree and a lot of text! As some of you know, Mumbao was finished off a few weeks ago and is now ready for implementation onto Showdown! With this addition I am also releasing the updated movepools of several other CaPLCs.

With the addition of Mumbao, you can find most of the other changes listed here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FUrOl0TKVNyIn6LaZ-jjP8N-fJvXYqfKND7WxxzAAZc/edit?usp=sharing. If anyone notices anything in error on these let me know ASAP and we will see if we can get it sorted! Mubao's FP Thread can be found here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-24-prevo-final-product.3641453/

I have been talking to Marty and the CaPTT team (so as to not mess up their stuff). Now LC has finished (and I have been told Flarelm and Argalis don't see usage), it is time for us to be able to get these additions onto the server!

With this update I would also like to try and invigorate some CaPLC play and will try to be around for matches (even though I am pretty bad!). We will also need to have a full and proper discussion on Cawdet and the very big likelihood of it being banned. Marty tells me this isn't an issue to implement if we need it to happen. We will continue to use the same banlist as LC Proper, and I see no reason to do anything else with the ban list.

I will be continuing with Revisions after the CaP 25 prevos when CaP 25 is over,starting with Cawdet and then the Gen 6 prevos. Once those are out of the way we can get back to building new CaPLCs from Gen 4!

If anyone at all wants to chat/give me some help with ideas/getting things sorted for CaPLC, I will be more than willing to accept the help! I've already been contacted by a user about wanting to help out on the forums. Either via forum PM or via Discord message (I'm basically always on the main CaP Discord and the OI/Smogon ones as well).

Last edited:
Unfortunately I was very unexpectedly busy during CapTT but the tier was cool so gonna put my thoughts regarding potentially growing it out. As for the actual metagame more so than the coding and creation of other CAP prevos cause I know next to nothing about that. Cawdet should be banned of course on main server more so. It's more so unofficially banned atm. If there is incentive to attempt to invigorate this meta again there would have to be stuff updated. VR is oudated, only half of the council still plays Pokemon and of course some interest outside of CapTT would be ideal. If it were to actually branch out personally I'd update normal tier resources (VR, Put a new sample team or 2 in, Updated Council, Maybe a role compendium or intro explaining the general roles of the Cap LC mons) then considering if possible asking to host a smogon tournament around it maybe sometime in October assuming resources are updated quickly enough and the tier doesn't die off. I feel it would bring new faces, light and potential interest into the tier. Ask LC/CAP and/or TDs if need be regarding a tournament being hosted if need be. I'd personally be willing to help with resources or communicating with LC/CAP mods/TDs if need be. Anyway best of luck to the tier and players in it.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
CaP Prevo Updates are now LIVE on the server! Thank you to Marty for being a beast and getting all of this onto Showdown for us and ofc Zarel too!

Please refer to my above post for a brief change log! Welcome to CaP LC V2 and let's hope it gets more play!

Also this is my 3K but I can't really think of anything snazzy to say and everyone who is cool knows who they are.

So I said I had nothing snazzy to say BUT I will call out some brilliant people who are just great across the board.

All the OI guys are amazing and I love speaking to you all (and I think I mention the Aussie contingent every time but all of you are awesome) MikeAU Its_A_Random and Aesculus. Worldie Smuckem turskain and all the Battle Tree guys who keep trying to make me play it more. Altissimo Blitzamirin for being great chat presences and making me laugh a lot. Merritt who is a boss with Tier lists as well as all the other tier list posters as well! Codraroll and NoCheese for being great mods and keeping things running happily!

So many cool CaP people as well. Birkal you gave me my first real chance on Smogon and I hope I've proved you right a few times. A few more than 3000 posts later and I'm still around so I must be doing something right! All the other CaP Mods are all great too, past and present! All of our Artists, submitters and contributors are all amazing as well and they knock it out of the park every time!

So many other people from the Smogon main Discord, OI Discord and CaP that I could mention to as well as a slew of others. You've all been brilliant people over my time on Smogon. Here's to another 3000!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)