CAP 23 CAP 23 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This thread is open for WIPs, comments, and final submissions for the design of CAP 23. Important considerations that will come into play over the course of this thread are base stats and abilities. Please see the process guide for clarification on the timing of these decisions and for the timing of the closure of this thread. Warnings will be posted multiple days ahead of submission closure.

***All material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.***

Collaborative material (such as work made by multiple artists or a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist) is not permitted.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the Main Design included in image tags below that, and supporting material (if applicable) below the Main Design.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

By making a final submission, an artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.

Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. It must be suitable for display on the CAP PokeDex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed.

The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • It must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background with no parts of the Pokemon cut off by the canvas.
  • It must not include offensive or obscene imagery, or be intended to mock or insult the project or other users.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (ie. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • Any 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing may be used. It must be in full color. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • The design must be colored lineart with an distinct outline on the entire subject in contrast to the subject and background. Colored outlines are allowed but must not obstruct the clarity of the design.
  • No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • The maximum allowed image dimension is 640 pixels and the minimum is 320 pixels. The maximum allowed image filesize is 200 kB.
  • It must be in jpg, png or gif format and must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.

The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

There are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way.

Posting Rules

Intentionally or unintentionally, thread-hogging tends to be more prevalent in the art submission thread compared to other CAP threads. In order to ensure that everyone has a reasonable chance to showcase their designs and air their opinions, thread-hogging will be moderated. If you wish to add new comments or art, but don't want to hog the thread, please consider editing your most recent post to add new content.

Posting Rules: Artists
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Each post should contain no more than one (1) full sized image which is no larger than 640 pixels in either dimension with a filesize no larger than 200 kB . Artists should post links to additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post.
  • The use of hide tags does not circumvent or alter any of the image posting rules.
  • Images must be in jpg, png or gif format and must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Out of courtesy to users with lower bandwidth, artists should not post links to images with filesizes exceeding 500 kB. You must include a warning if you do.
  • Do not post inconsequential updates to designs. Only if you have made a significant change should you post an update in the thread.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. You may not reserve an idea for yourself.
  • No bumping art or begging for feedback. If no one comments on your design, consider the silence to be your feedback. Also, check out the CAP Discord channel or the CAP PS Room for open real-time discussion on CAP art.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. For art resources on Smogon, check out Smeargle's Studio.

Posting Rules: Commenters
  • Please DO post constructive feedback for artists.
  • Do not post ideas or images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to render your idea.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or make similar comments to that effect. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not comment that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon and therefore such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted.
  • Do not repost images from the thread. When quoting a post, remove any images.

Additionally, please do not suggest names for your or other peoples' concepts, as it may bias the name poll. Everyone should have a fair chance to suggest a name during the naming stage.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the Main Design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post, if applicable. All final submissions conforming to the rules above will be slated.

- - - - -

CAP 23 So Far:

Typing:
Dragon/Ghost

Concept:
Name: Wait! It's a Trap Move!

Description: A Pokémon that can make effective use of semi-trapping, fully trapping, or self-trapping move(s).

Justification: Trapping is a somewhat polarized mechanic in the current SM metagame. In terms of ability-based trappers we have Dugtrio, perhaps one of the most hated (or most loved, really depends on the situation) Pokémon thanks to its ability Arena Trap. There is also the occasionally seen Magnezone that uses Magnet Pull to lure in and decimate Steel type Pokemon. All trapping effects are ignored by the Shed Shell item or simply by being a Ghost type. However, this is not the kind of trapping I want to focus on. Focusing on abilities leaves few options, and the general mechanics are the same: Lure, Trap, Destroy. Nothing much new is to be found there.

So, instead, I would like this concept to focus on trapping moves. For those unfamiliar with the term, there are a few types of trapping moves which I will make an attempt to explain here. A semi- or partially trapping move prevents the opponent from switching out for a set number of turns while also usually doing a set percent of damage. Example moves would be Whirlpool, Fire Spin, Infestation, and Magma Storm (but don't use that last one, it's legendary exclusive!). There are also what I like to call fully trapping moves, moves that prevent the opponent from switching not for a set number of turns, but instead until the Pokémon who used the move leaves the battlefield. This category includes moves such as Block as well as the brand-new Gen 7 moves of Anchor Shot and Spirit Shackle. Also are what I call self-trapping moves, which is just Ingrain to my knowledge. This move (and if any similar ones come about) lock the USER into battle. Lastly, just to make sure I cover all my bases, Fairy Lock is an interesting trapping move that prevents any Pokémon, friend or foe, from leaving the battlefield on the following turn only (Barring the usual exceptions).

This concept fits in the Actualization and Archetype categories. Trapping moves are exceedingly rare in their usage. The most effective in OU currently is Magma Storm Heatran, but this is by far not its only nor its best set. Expanding our gaze slightly we may find the strange Stall-Trap or Perish-Trap strategies in use in varying parts of the ladder. Even further? Ok then, in Ubers you can find an excellent example of self-trapping in Ingrain Xerneas, which helps prevent the opponent from forcing Xerneas out after it has set up its boosts. In addition, one could look at SD Trapper Decidueye that sets up with Swords Dance after trapping a helpless opponent via Spirit Shackle. Dhelmise can also use Anchor Shot, though I'm not terribly sure as to how that set works... Regardless, that makes about four solid examples of trapping moves across four different tiers, and none of the sets are by any means the only or most effective sets those Pokémon can run (Except maybe Dhelmise. Is there an RU player here who can help me out with that thing?). Overall, the relative rarity of these moves in competitive play when contrasted with the seemingly powerful effect of locking in the opponent begs a variety of questions about the nature and use of said trapping moves. To best explore these moves, designing a Pokémon to use and abuse them makes the most sense for understanding how to properly use them (whatever that would mean).

Questions To Be Answered:
(Base) Is there a 'best' way to utilize trapping moves? If so, what playstyle does it most align with?
(Base) Is there a 'best' type of trapping move overall, or are they each truly viable in their own ways?
(Base) What is the value in trapping the opposing Pokémon? Are certain traps better than others? Why?
(Base) What synergies work well with trapping moves? Why do they have such a great synergy, and how can that be expanded or dealt with in the process of teambuilding?
(Comparison) How do trapping moves compare against trapping abilities? Are there any inherent benefits and disadvantages and if so, what are they?
(Metagame) Are there any particular archetype matchups in which a trapping-move Pokémon would have an advantage? A disadvantage? Why is that?
(Metagame) What has contributed to the lack of presence of trapping moves in our metagame? Is it a plethora of other options, a lack of viable abusers, or something else?
(Metagame) How does the trapping mechanic interact with the value of switching out?[/SIZE]
Topic Leader: snake_rattler
Typing Leader: HeaLnDeaL
Ability Leader: LucarioOfLegends
Stats Leader: reachzero
Movepool Leader: cbrevan

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
11bug

12MONeil

Birkal

Blue Frog (Final Submission)

Chomz

chuckeroo777 (Final Submission)

Cretacerus

D4rk3r

DarkLatias92

darmico (Final Submission, illegal)

DatHeatmor

Dbasso (Final Submission, illegal)

DougJustDoug

Durengardnit (Final Submission)

epicparker

EpicUmbreon29

Falchion (Final Submission)

Felis Licht

FellFromtheSky (Final Submission)

FriesforNapkins

Garbagery (Final Submission)

Golurkyourself (Final Submission)

Grassgem389 (Final Submission, illegal)

HatfulofBomb

HeaLnDeaL (Final Submission)

Haimerej

Hollymon

HotFuzzBall

Igloo the Almighty

Jackii

JaeBirdie

KeeganSkymin4444 (Final Submission)

LordPinecone (Final Submission, illegal)

letterman4

Magistrum (Final Submission)

Menshay

Morghulis

Mova (Final Submission)

Mr Spyda (Final Submission, illegal)

Okamu

OwOniglio (Final Submission, illegal)

Pipotchi (Final Submission)

Quanyails (Final Submission)

QxC4eva

Reigaheres (Final Submission)

Sgt.Moose (Final Submission)

ShunosaurusLii (Final Submission)

SilvanRaptor (Final Submission)

Sunfished (Final Submission)

thebangzats (Final Submission)

The Steam Punk

W0rm (Final Submission)

Wyverii

Yilx (Final Submission)

YourFavDalmatian (Final Submission)

ZardX (Final Submission - ILLEGAL

Zephias (Final Submission)

WIP

It is based on an egg. I will still hone it to some direction, and hope that I get a hold of a scanner soon.

I was too lazy to remove the blank paper properly, but hey it is just WIP anyway

WIP

here we have a kind of snake-fox? snakes wrap around stuff, will-o'-wisps tend to appear over swamps n bogs which you can get stuck in, and foxes give that general spirit-ghost trickster vibe (and are also associated with fire)

needs a lot of work phew

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I really don't like posting WIPs that are this crude, but well I don't think I'll have a lot of time to get further in the next 36 hours so Ima post now. Shibs, no matter the typing!

It's essentially a black/tan coat Shiba Inu (doge) that is being possessed by the ghost of a dragon that it slew. Hard to tell since the sketch is light (and bad), but essentially the shib has absorbed some dragon like characteristics, parts of its fur transformed to mimic dragon skin/scales. The ghostly dragon has its mouth wide open, engulfing the head of the shib.

Explanation A: Akitas are like giant Shiba Inus and they hunt bears. Shibs have about 10x more meme power, so clearly they have the strength to hunt dragons. But in this instance, 1) the dragon put a vengeful curse on the Shib and has afflicted it with its ghost and/or 2) the shib utilizes the power of the dragon's ghost to do it's bidding. I kinda like the idea of the shib and dragon vying for control in a constant struggle tbh. It's a hunter / prey or even hunter vs hunter kind of relationship going on and I think Dragons and hunting dogs naturally fit this dynamic. Perhaps combining them together is a bit of a stretch, but humans do weird things with animal pelts and weapons made from animals, so it's not like there's zero basis for the hunter/prey stuff. Obviously I'm motivated by shibs tho. Hunting dogs are commonly used by trappers, so I think it sorta fits the concept itself too. Shhh, just squint at reality a bit.

Explanation B: Dragon/Wolf hybrids aren't without precedence, as in popular culture, things like Monster Hunter have the Ziogre. The Dacian Draco was a neck/body of a Dragon/snake with a wolf's head.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
WIP

Okay so this is super WIP (just an early exploration really) as I'm gonna redraw this actually cuz I had a cool idea for a redesign

So this is based on the Lernaen Hydra, the creature that when you cut off its head it grows a couple more, except in this version if you cut off a head they come back as ghosts :D. However I'm gonna redraw it to have a sort of Greek chariot look to it as well, but I figured might as well put this out there to get some early thoughts/constructive criticism!
I actually reallly love this design idea as I think it fits really well with the concept. Instead of making the other two heads solids you might want to try making them gases In my opinion just like Gastly. This is just my take on it

EDIT: OR omg instead of Gas you could make them just bones that attach to the Dragons other necks. OMG that'd look dope af imo

The official "Knights Can't Draw But Likes To Look At Good Art" reviews

I like how Mova made something that's outside of the box but still fits well with the concept.

Sgt.Moose has a nice art style and that egg dragon looks good. The trapping connection feels lacking, though.

I want to see what HealnDeal's design looks like when it's polished up. The scarves look a little cluttered, but this one makes me want to see the final version.

D4rk3r's drawing doesn't seem to have any dragon elements, so I'm a little confused there.

Birkal Sorry 'bout that. But concerning your artwork...

SylvanRaptor is kind of a miss for me. I think I'd like it better if the placement of the tentacles made it look more streamlined. The head and neck remind me of Tropius, which sends my imagination wandering off in an interesting direction.

HatfulofBomb's design is sleek and interesting. It looks cool without shouting "THIS IS A TRAP DRAGON". I do wish there was something to lend towards the Ghost half of the typing.

I definitely want to see some more details in Igloo the Almighty's design. I like the concept, but it seems a little sparse.

Morghulis's idea is awesome and I'm looking forward to the redesign. Edit: The redesign is also awesome.

Garbagery has really brought out both the typing and the CAP concept in the design. This one seems promising. Edit: I think I might like the original sketch a little more, solely because the tail being connected to itself in the original gave the feel of a metal lasso perfect for trapping.

Quanyalis kinda outdid Mova on "outside of the box but still fits the concept well". This is a mon I'd want on my team (or at least in my PC box).

Reigaheres's rough draft is just glancing off me. I think I need to see it in color for it to make an impression on me. Edit: Yeah, definitely need to see it in color. The dynamic pose isn't making much more of an impression on me.

Magistrum is a contender for my favorite design. This is tight and interesting and well-made.

Felis Licht's design looks promising. I'm wondering where the trapping element comes into the design.

EpicUmbreon29 has an interesting design that I don't think feels disjointed. The variation in segments doesn't feel awkward to me.

Darklatias92 has a very nice concept and a very nice design. I don't think the shadow dragon needs much alteration, if any at all.

Jackii's design is cool and sleek and nothing I'd want to meet in a dark alley. For some weird reason, my brain's not registering it as a Ghost type when my eyes are saying otherwise. Maybe it's the neon coloring.

Okamu... I want to say this idea could work, but the incense feels a little awkward and the calavera dia de los muertos style could feel a little cheesy if not done carefully.

DatHeatmor has a pokemon I not only like but makes me want to have in my party. I think there's the potential to emphasize the stitching motif by showing the segments connected by stretched threads.

Mr Spyda formed the concept into a brick and hit me in the face with it. I need to get over how obvious the design is, because- despite being stunned by it- I don't hate it.

Currently my Top 5 are (in alphabetical order): Birkal, Darklatias92, DatHeatmor, Magistrum, Quanyalis

Last edited:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Got a first draft done! I love stegosauruses, and I can't believe there isn't a Pokemon based off of one yet. Anything that is a dinosaur is very Dragon-type to me, so I took on the challenge of making a stegosaurus look like a Ghost-type as well. I went with a cemetery, which has obvious death themes involved. I like to think of this Pokemon as the protector of cemeteries, as it nests there and punishes any evil-doers. I used bone-like material for its nails, nose, and thagomizer (which is shaped like cemetery gates). A lot will change here based on stats and abilities, but I think the concept itself will work for a Dragon/Ghost Pokemon.

Any feedback is super appreciated at this point. The perspective was especially hard to nail down on all those tombstones.

WIP

I'm working off of a sort of Chinese dragon design, turned into a coil (good for catching things). This is the basic idea, and I'm gonna add details to make it more ghosty later.

WIP

Very, very early draft of a mon based on the ouroboros, a symbol depicting a serpent/dragon eating its own tail in a representation of the endless cycle of life and death. I decided to focus on this by literally making the mon be half-living, half dead, with a living head and a ghostly tail. It probably just uses its body for binding moves like Wrap, though I have yet to figure out a better way to justify how it uses stuff like Spirit Shackle. Again, it's a work in progress -- amongst other things, I might change the ghostly half to more of a skeletal design, and add more details to spice it up.

Critique and suggestions are always appreciated!

Last edited:
Idea!

It's like a vampire? Spoopy
Was actually considering a vampire, on the fact alone that Dracula means something along the lines of "son of dragon"

Looks better than anything I could've sketched up, I like it

The only criticism I can really give is I think it needs some fangs sticking out somewhere to really sell the vampire aspect

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Aaah, I love how the art thread is going so far! It's great to see how artists are starting outside of the box on designing our ghostly dragon. :)

This is my contribution to the pot:

I was thinking more of ghostly ways of trapping someone that could be made draconic rather than starting with a dragon and giving it ghostly features. I ended up brainstorming a chameleon. It's a reptile that uses its long, ghostly tongue to ensnare enemies, and as a chameleon, it can appear ghostly. :)

I know the design has to be a little more interesting instead of just "spooky chameleon", and I'll see what I can do. :) Chameleons have stick-like limbs and bulgy eyes, so I was thinking to integrate that with a marionette, but... well, we'll see what I can design. XD I don't know how far I'll get with this one, honestly.

I've given some thoughts about some of the posted designs on Discord, so if you'd like feedback (or if you have feedback for me), leave a message for me there!

Last edited:
NOWEST EDIt: LONGER TAIL

WIIIIP

I edited how it's going to move it's tail. It's tail can extend itself if thrown like a dhelmise
like this:
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/189/395/ffc.gif
THIS STUFF:

Well since it's a trapping mon and a ghost/dragon,i decided to use a lock and a pair of handcuffs for the motive (ye ye i'll improve it later)

Supporting material

if u guys have any feedback i'd be appreciated

theoretical way this mon works
we could do some dhelmise stuff and make it that the skull and the claws are the actual body while the massive handcuffs and rings are just things it collected
Or the chains grow as it grows older, as the things it digests go all towards it's chain body

edit: Im testing out other versions of this one
[/hide][/hide]

Last edited:

Birkal

We have the technology.
MODERATOR POST

A lot of people are having difficulty posting images that are the correct size. You cannot have an image that is larger than 640 x 640 pixels (as noted in the rules). Please take this into consideration when posting -- I hate having to delete posts that are filled with great art that are too big. Similarly, be wary of threadhogging, commenters. If you've got a new comment to make, try editing your previous post. Or better yet, find the artist on Discord or Pokemon Showdown!

I am willing to undelete posts if you can PM me an image that is the correct size of your art, Sunfished, Morghulis, and Garbagery. Just send me a message with the image and I'll undelete. Thank you for your understanding!

Whoooops sorry about that Birkal thought the size requirements were 650, should be sitting at a nice 620 pixels now tho. Was gonna make this post soon anyway since the design is pretty drastically different!

WIP 2

Changed the design a bunch! Probably gonna play around with the colors and maybe give him a helmet? (and of course clean stuff up) worried it may be a lil busy though but idk. Also thank you people who liked it, and also great job everyone else all o these designs look super rad!

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist

Here's the first concept I had in mind. The link between birds and reptiles in Dragon type is something unexplored in Pokemon and I'm a big fan of unorthadox dragons, so I had in mind a ghostly, dragon-esque bearded vulture. Vultures are well known as very creepy birds that eerily scavenge dead animals and stalk animals close to death, so the idea of a grim reaper or harbinger of death came to mind. An unrelentless force that traps its victims and brings them to their demise.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
WIP

My work-in-progress design, based on the mythical Qilin.

For this CAP, I opted for a base concept that represents Dragon/Ghost at its core, and the Qilin stood out due to its lore of being a spiritual being that's depicted to only reveal itself to the best of men, the kindest rulers and the wisest sages. It's often depicted as a dragon with varying characteristics of an ox, deer, lion or horse along with a scaled body.

I went with a rather streamlined design, but would probably change the volume of the fur depending on how bulky or speedy this CAP will get. The skull mask might be a tad too indicative of the ghost typing. However since Dragon-types often come with claws, spikes, horns, and/or other elements that show their skeletal frame, I felt it is a good design element that meshes well on this case. I also went with a clawed tail as the main component of this CAP's trapping concept.

As always, comments, critiques and criticism is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
WIP
*joins the rough draft club*

Extreme rough draft, mostly an idea I sketched down.
It's supposed to be based on a Nurikabe, the original depiction rather than the solid wall monster we all commonly see. I'm not too sure if it captures the ghost typing well; Nurikabe is supposedly invisible, so my idea was that it's a beasty long haired creature that can trap by becoming physical and it moves around while invisible but is still felt (and its ears uncurl to become even more of a wall).

Would like some opinions on whether to go this direction or not.

WIP
*joins the rough draft club*
Extreme rough draft, mostly an idea I sketched down.
It's supposed to be based on a Nurikabe, the original depiction rather than the solid wall monster we all commonly see. I'm not too sure if it captures the ghost typing well; Nurikabe is supposedly invisible, so my idea was that it's a beasty long haired creature that can trap by becoming physical and it moves around while invisible but is still felt (and its ears uncurl to become even more of a wall).

Would like some opinions on whether to go this direction or not.
absolutely love the concept, but I feel like the overall shape is a tad generic. I feel like bringing out the "blocky" shape that seems to be present in most nurikabe depictions would make the design stand out more

WIP

This is still a very rough draft, but I wanted to get my ideas down.

So, after looking around for good folklore and mythology on good ol' Wikipedia, I came across the story of KUR, from Sumer and Babylonia. The word KUR had multiple meanings across time, originally referring to land or mountains. As time went on, however, it came to refer to the Underworld. Cue the Ghost-typing. Not only that, but KUR later appears in Babylonian mythology, believed to be a possible deity represented as an early serpentine dragon.

I took a few liberties with my design; very few depictions of the myth survive, and those that do understandably aren't very detailed. I took the main serpentine aspect and attempted to make it more spectral via its fragmented body and exposed spine. To make it more ghastly I also have its forked tongue coming out of the top of its head (perfect for smelling souls) and put its eye on the tongue through an exposed cavity. The coloration owes to the fact that, in one variation of the myth, KUR lives at the very bottom of the netherworld, just above the primeval waters. This takes a bit of biology class into consideration to give the design some camouflage. Looking up at the design would make it appear to be one with the blackness above, while looking down would have it appear to be part of the waters.

One thing I'm considering is just making the outer skin somewhat transparent so that the skeleton within can be seen without the awkward breaks between segments.

If anyone has some comments or improvements I can make, that would be greatly appreciated!

I'm gonna jump into the draft train by linking my first draft.

WIP

I initially wanted to create a sort of possessed gargoyle, but then I decided to shift into something more Pokemon-related: a possessed Rhydon statue, coming for a vengeance directly from Pokemon Red/Green/Blue. The real Pokemon would be the extended shadow coming from the statue, who draws some physical features from the statue itself and from the typical Chinese dragons. The long body would allow CAP23 to either use binding attacks (Wrap, Bind, Fire Spin) or to use Spirit Shackle.

I'm open to suggestions to make the shadowy dragon a bit less generic.

WIP

upload_2017-8-25_21-36-42.png

So, up front, lemme apologize for the wretched quality. tech and I do not have a good working relationship. I'm going to try and get a lineart (if I even have time to continue this effort, eep!).

The basic design combines three elements: a brontosaurus, the idea of incense burning (which is the weird bowl thing on the head), and the artistic accents of Calaveras from the Latin American holiday of Dia de los Muertos. High key though, I have like, no digital art skill and my scanning printer sucks bad so... probably gonna be a long while if anything ever happens to this. Just thought I'd put it out there since I bothered to draw it!

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist

Colors! I'd appreciate comments on the colors, since I'm still iffy on it all.

Comments!

Mova: Pokemon already has the baku department settled with Munna and Drowzee, but a dragon-esque take sure is an interesting one. The design, however, I feel is a bit plain, with the horn looking a tad tacked on and the tail looking out of place compared to the baku main body and not even looking much like something in Pokemon's style.
Sgt. Moose: Your style looks amazing and your presentation of the Pokemon's elements is quite nice, the colors especially. As another commenter pointed out, the trapping element isn't very clear, and I myself have to say I see it more as a middle stage more than anything, with the compact and in development look. If CAP 23 is very defensive though, it would be a great fit!

D4rk3r: I'd say the current draft looks a tad too plain, especially since its put in quite the plain and still pose it is in. I feel like the elements could be more stitched together, possibly with a stronger bog theme, and I'd also give it a more dragon/snake look, since it looks more like just a fox more than anything.
HealnDeal: Its great to see the great and mighty shibe represented as a fakemon, and the sketch is indeed messy, but i feel like the dragon elements are rather tacked on, and it looks more like a dog with a funny costume. I'd smooth out the scales into looking like part of its body and seam into the dog the other dragon elements. Still, excited to see a more clear sketch!

Birkal: Steggos are very cool, and seeing one with tombstones on its back as plates is just great. I would, however, work on the colors into a more pleasant shade, especially the green in its back. The spike at the end of its tail is mostly just distracting though, since its a very irregular and sharp shade on a character with a mostly blocky shape, and ends up looking a bit tacky. It'd also be interesting if the two biggest tombstones had some interesting shapes drawn into them or something, since all of them just being grey slabs is a bit weird and dissapointing.

Quanyails: Really liking this one. Its cute, appealing and a bit spooky. Its a very clever idea and I'm excited to see what comes from this.

Garbagery: The excessive amount of chains makes it look more like a Steel/Ghost type more than anything, and while the ghost type is nailed down, its hard to grasp it as a Dragon. Maybe give it a dragon body but still give it a chains theme? Still, a very cool thematic you picked here.

Morghulis: The main body's orangeish brown parts were really distracting for me and ended up getting all of my attention, which is a shame since this is a very cute dragon, I especially love the little head at the end of the tail. Other than doing something with the main body, I'd also do something about the other heads coming from red boney parts, since that seems a bit too gorey for Pokemon.

DarkLatias92: Very novel idea here, although I feel like the shadow dragon looks way too much like Mega Char X, especially since its overdosing on blue flames despite not even being of that type. I'd simplify the shadow dragon to actually look shadow-y, playing around with the contrast between black and white.

Jackii: rlly adorable goopy dude jacker, and i especially like the neon colors. the excessive goopiness, though, makes me think it looks more like a poison type, especially with the toxic looking saliva coming from its jaws. not sure how you'd make it more ghostly, but id experiment. best of luck :^J

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)