CaP 22 Pre-Evo - Part 2 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hey all!

So we decided that Kerfluffle's prevo will be pure Fairy. An interesting typing which adds a lot of interest to how we move forward with movepools and artwork!

Natural Cure / Aroma Veil / Friend Guard are Kefluffle's abilities. A mix of protecting itself and its allies from status. Will our little Kerfluffle be comparable to its evolved form? Remember, anything goes here and I will attempt to make a mix and match slate to accommodate peoples options! If you wish to put in a 3 way "submission" as it were, go right ahead and I will take it under advisement!

This thread will be open for approximately 36 hours.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Since none of these abilities are really relatable to Fighting-type it makes sense if we kept all the original abilities since there aren't really any factors that would make us want to change the ability. Although if someone came up with a plausible reason to remove one I'd think Soundproof would make a good filler since people scream into there pillows all the time to muffle the sound.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
I would like to advocate for Cute Charm - probably replacing Natural Cure. I can't think of any particularly strong arguments to replace Aroma Veil or Friend Guard.

i think that Prankster would be a nice ability because it fits with the mischievous theme quite well, and i imagine MiniKerf being quite cute and tricky n_n

One idea I want to bring up is Rattled. Basically, I imagine that baby Kerf being a cute little pillow thing. But, since it's just a cute little pillow thing, it probably can't defend itself well, and is thus scared of a lot of things, which is where Rattled comes in. Then, when it evolves, it gains the Fighting-typing, ready to bash the heck out of its fears. Plus, a pillow being afraid of the dark sounds hilarious.
Rattled would replace Friend Guard since if it can't defend itself, how is it supposed to defend someone else (at least without having Quick/Wide Guard from a parent)? Nevermind about replacing Friend Guard, replace Aroma Veil because that would keep it from being taunted and tormented by more intimidating Pokemon and this can't possibly be an exception to a trend like the Scatterbug line is.

Last edited:
An ability set up I like is Natural Cure, Sweet Veil, and Symbiosis
I thought that Lil' Kerfluffle could keep Natural Cure, since I couldn't really find anything to replace it. Plus, most pokemon keep atleast one ability throughout their evo line.
I like Sweet Veil as it's lead up to Aroma Veil, for multiple reasons. First, of course, it's another veil ability, which fits right in. Second, perhaps it has a sweeter, stronger smell, and then when it evolves, it's smell is more pleasant than it is strong. I mostly like this ability since it shows development between Kerfluffle and it's Prevo.
Also, I like Symbiosis as a lead up to friend guard for multiple reasons. For one, it doesn't seem like the Prevo would have the strength to protect it's allies, making it so that I don't find friend guard fitting. So, keeping that ability was off the list to me. So, I saw Symbiosis fitting since it's still going out of it's way to help it's ally, but does whats in it's power. So, instead of protecting it's ally, it helps them by giving it's allies items. Also, only 3 pokemon have Symbiosis, so why not add a fourth to the list =P

Last edited:

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Guys, not every CAP prevo has to have at least one different ability from its final form. It's standard among most Pokemon to NOT do so.

If we decide we must change an ability, then per standard fare in the main game series, it should be its Hidden Ability (Friend Guard in this case).

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
BTW when you guys say, "It can't defend its allies" keep in mind all Pokemon with Friend Guard (bar Vivillon) are like babies, and here is a full list of actual pokemon with this ability

Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Happiny, Scatterbug, Spewpa, Vivillon

So I find that reasoning for removing Friend Guard to be flawed

I don't see an actual reason to change the abilities at all. I vote for keeping them exactly as they are, because chances are the LC is going to be a smaller, inoffensive version of Kerfluffle.

And yeah, Friend Guard is basically a must for the reason Azelfie said above. It doesn't make much sense for it to be removed when every other reciever is an LC.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think all 3 abilities work fine for the pre-vo. None of them were really Fighting themed.

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
yh deck makes a nice point the only reason to change any of the abilities are if they don't fit the concept but all the abilities fit a smaller, non-fighting, version of kerfuffle so there is no reason to change em, especially when most friend guard mons are 1st stage fairy types as well

Cool Shades The Kid: I believe not. This is a 6th generation CAP, therefore it is restricted to the capabilities of the 6th generation metagame. No 7th generation anything allowed.

I like the abilities of Natural Cure, Friend Guard, and Cute Charm. They all work.

I prefer the idea of retaining all three abilities for our little Fluffle, since we only have four consistent Ability combinations among CAP lines: Stratagem, Cyclohm, Malaconda, and Plasmanta. The rest change at least one Ability once the Prevo evolves. Reveankh, Mollux, and Crucibelle do not evolve from any little dudes, so they don't count.

If we really had to (sigh), I would suggest replacing Aroma Veil with Cute Charm. The baby might not have a decent fragrance, but it'll still look cute.

I think Natural Cure, Fur Coat, and Prankster work. I see Minifluff as a mischievous spirit that only watches out for itself. Only after evolving does it realize the meaning of friends and it takes up the fighting and abilities to protect them. And fur coat because it's a pillow.

I'm also inclined to say that Kerfluffle's prevolution should keep Kerfluffle's abilities; Natural Cure, Aroma Veil and Friend Guard all work just fine for a pure Fairy-type.

From an aesthetic perspective, I'm eager to avoid a kitchen-sink approach at the last stages of this CAP. Kerfluffle is already a combination of so many intriguing things - first Fairy-type CAP, previously unseen type combination, diverse movepool (Parting Shot, of course, but also Aura Sphere, Moonblast, Flash Cannon, Giga Drain), fascinating design. Importantly, though, all these creative components have been in service of, and constrained by, our goals for this CAP project - and as a result Kerfluffle is highly innovative, but still totally cohesive.

On the other hand, adding in yet another idiosyncrasy to CAP 22 at this late stage of the project - like shoehorning in extra abilities that get lost with evolution - seems like a bridge too far for me, stuffing in changes just for the heck of it rather than for a considered, coherent purpose. Many, many evolution chains show a straightforward progression (i.e. not losing typings and abilities) from a base stage to higher evolutions, and I haven't yet seen any good arguments as to why Kerfluffle and its prevolution should be any different.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
OK So it seems that the general consensus is that you guys would like to keep the original abilities we have listed.

Cute Charm and Prankster are the only other two that have had more than a single post (or maybe two) supporting them. I am tempted in this instance to unilaterally decide that we keep the original abilities for our Prevo.

I will talk to Birkal/Other Mods about this today and see what can be done here (because I don't think this has ever happened before).

It seems that retaining all three Abilities for the Prevo sounds like a decent idea, even without a poll. This has not happened before, but patterns can break. I'd like to see what else the Prevo has in store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)