CAP 20 - Part 1 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steelixspark, I really don't think introducing a new type combination is the equivalent of a curveball. How can a type combination "confuse" the opponent? To find out how a new type combo will affect the meta, all one has to do is figure out its type-based strengths and weaknesses. Is what your asking for yet another status wall or a sweeper? You have not specified either, so it is impossible to judge your concept.

A Dark/Electric Pokémon is weak to Ground, Fighting, Bug, and Fairy. He reason Chansey is effective is not only its bulk but its typing, with one weakness and one immunity. A new typing doesn't mean greatness! WHY will it be a curveball? An explanation is needed.
Thank you for your insight, what I meant by "Confuse the opponent" was that since the new typing hasn't ever been done before, the opponent wouldn't be expecting it as much as a fire-fighting for example. I mainly want the Pokemon to be a tank, so something that can survive attacks and deal damage. Thank you

Name: Elephant In the Room

General Description: A Pokemon that can utilize Magic Room and/or Wonder Room to massive effect.

Justification:
Magic Room and Wonder Room are both moves that are nearly unusable and unused (for the less informed, Magic Room makes items unusable, and Wonder Room swaps all Pokemons' defenses, both with a priority of 0 and both for five turns). This is because the effects of both are rather niche, and the users of it have much better things to do. But what if we could create a Pokemon that could use one or both to have a meaningful impact on the metagame? With effects that seem so inconsequential, is such a Pokemon even possible?

Questions To Be Answered:
- What would happen to the metagame if a single Pokemon with a strange, possibly game-changing niche was added? What kind of ripples would this one Pokemon cause, and to what extent would such a 'mon cause the metgame to warp around it? (I'm talking about unique Pokemon in general, and not specifically about the Pokemon proposed here.)
- Is it possible to create a Pokemon that can offset the negative or underpowered aspects of a unique, niche move and use it to great effect?
- How would such a Pokemon play? As a pivot, wall, sweeper, etc.?
- Is it possible to build a team around a Pokemon that has a niche nearly unseen in the metagame?
- If a Pokemon has a powerful niche that is unique to it, is it worth it to use other sets?
- What other moves out there are underutilized because there has never been a Pokemon made to abuse them?

Explanation:
There are moves that are designed for Pokemon, as seen in the massive amount of signature moves given to 'mons throughout the generations. However, I would like to see if it is possible to design a Pokemon for a move. I feel like there are many unexplored and underutilized moves, and currently using them is a horrid idea. But there is a possibility that the reason why they are so underused is because there has never been a Pokemon that could properly use them to their full effect, lacking one or more crucial elements that would make them viable. Magic Room and Wonder Room are two moves with completely unique effects that I would love to see used. Also, I would like to see the impact that the addition of a single Pokemon with such an unexplored and as-of-yet-unseen niche would cause ripples in the metagame, as well as the creativity that would sprout from molding a such a Pokemon. I have no idea if it is possible to balance or even create such a Pokemon. I have ideas, but a community effort would be great :)
Exvet the only reason you would use Magic Room was if you didn't get Embargo, which is in almost all respects completely superior. In addition, Knock Off entirely outclasses both Embargo and Magic Room, as it allows you to remove the opponent's item, not for five turns but for the whole match, and simeltaneously use a 97.5 BP Dark-type move while keeping your own item intact. Honestly, Magic Room is just an outclassed and bad move, and no setter could change that. I would like to see a good Wonder Room abuser, though... Making it work is a problem, though.
Thank you for your insight, what I meant by "Confuse the opponent" was that since the new typing hasn't ever been done before, the opponent wouldn't be expecting it as much as a fire-fighting for example. I mainly want the Pokemon to be a tank, so something that can survive attacks and deal damage. Thank you
Except the opponent will be entirely expecting it, as on a CAP Playtest ladder they will be expecting to run into this CAP sooner or later, and it's not like CAP20 will be changing types every time it switches in to confuse the opponent. The meta would not be completely in the dark about the Pokémon; the only way they would be confused in the way you indicated is if this Pokémon were secretly introduced without telling anyone and without its typing being revealed. Even that would only last for a short period, and that's not how CAP works.

Exvet the only reason you would use Magic Room was if you didn't get Embargo, which is in almost all respects completely superior. In addition, Knock Off entirely outclasses both Embargo and Magic Room, as it allows you to remove the opponent's item, not for five turns but for the whole match, and simeltaneously use a 97.5 BP Dark-type move while keeping your own item intact. Honestly, Magic Room is just an outclassed and bad move, and no setter could change that.
I do have ideas, though since this is just a submission thread, I don't want to post them here. The key, though, is that Magic Room also disables your own item, which makes things very interesting. I really wanted to see how creative people could be with this concept, and to see people dismissing it right off the bad is kinda disheartening, seeing that I have ideas that are workable (but, obviously, untested).

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I do have ideas, though since this is just a submission thread, I don't want to post them here. The key, though, is that Magic Room also disables your own item, which makes things very interesting. I really wanted to see how creative people could be with this concept, and to see people dismissing it right off the bad is kinda disheartening, seeing that I have ideas that are workable (but, obviously, untested).
I can't see an instance where you'd want your own item to not work. While I understand that you want to tap into an underused move, there is a reason why you don't see Magic Room or Embargo too often. The opponent can simply switch out of Embargo, and using Magic Room to suppress a hit from Keldeo or make it easier to break down Chansey seems more trouble than it's worth.

Name: Checkmate
General Description: A pokemon that is incredible at coming in at the very late game, and claiming the win.
Justification: Sometimes people want a more simple team with one goal: Take out enemies to X so that X can finish the game for me. With a plethora of pokemon out there in OU, there is a niche for wall based checkmate. These pokemon need specific conditions in which to work, but when exposed to them, they can easily end the match there and then. Commonly we see setup based checkmates, usually revolving around Calm Mind to bulk up a physically defensive pokemon like Slowbro, to setting up for a fast sweeper, like Swords Dance Talonflame
  • What kind of checkmate do we want to achieve? (Also, what counts towards the checkmate goal).
  • Depending on the kind of checkmate, what kind of moves?
  • How effective is the ability/Typing in deciding its functionality?
  • Since the pokemon needs a given win scenario, what pokemon should it need removed before it can finish off? (This is what pokemon should it be threatened by). Be it that common types threaten it, or is it that, certain pokemon threaten it.
  • How should it stand out from the other late game pokemon? What is it's niche
  • What kind of team should the CAP be on? Should the team be dedicated to get the endgame, or should the team be able to put it on, and when the situation arises, come in for the win.
  • While its main goal is a checkmate scenario, should there be minor things the pokemon can be teched out with, such as the ability to scout items or such.
Explanation: I'm mainly a VGC player, and there were many checkmate strategies used in the early season, such as ferrothorn and gourgeist. These would have their teammates remove their threats, and then they can come on for the checkmate, like in a game of chess. The skill is to force your opponent's hand, and make them reveal their pokemon, and then remove them. For example, with gourgeist, if you removed the big threats of talonflame and co, it could come on and close the game. In the current metagame, it is fairly offensive orientated. I feel maybe a more stall based checkmate would grab a niche in the metagame, since slow set up users, like mega slowbro, are fairly prevalent. I feel that the best late game checkmate I feel like using that is stall based is gourgeist-super or trevenant. Both can use some form of recovery, with Trevenant's being really good, utilizing harvest and sitrus, and gourgeist-super resort to leftovers. Both wield Will-o-wisp, which neutralizes physical pokemon, and leech seed, which slowly heals them. The duo of these two moves give some really good turn by turn damage. Other pokemon that are good are like CM Slowbro and Sub CM keldeo, who come in late, and can set up for the win. The pokemon shouldn't really be an early game sweeper, as this pokemon focuses around the late game, where pokemon have fainted, and most are low on health.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For stall, isn't any checkmate pokemon: a pokemon that just walls the last mon your opponent has, thus "checkmating" them?

Name: Checkmate
I like the idea.

When I read this, I immediately thought of a fast cleaner with a good deal of coverage, but only mediocre power. Such a Pokemon wouldn't be able to run through a healthy, bulky team,
but can easily clean a weakened one. All in all, a Pokemon with the coverage of an Electivire and the speed of a Talonflame, but not as obnoxious as Greninja.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Name: Dedicated Win Condition

General Description: A Pokemon which can very easily and effortlessly win if its checks and counters are removed, but is a liability until then.

Justification: Obviously, a lot of Pokemon are designed to sweep once its checks and counters are weakened. However, most of them are able to come in during midgame and weaken their checks to the point where they can sweep later, and/or can be stopped from sweeping with careful play even if the opponent has no checks left. This concept would take the idea of a win condition to the extreme, with a Pokemon completely unable, for one reason or another, to wear down its counters, but once those are removed, can win without any effort or possible counterplay. A completely dedicated win condition would help us explore the mechanics of checking and countering, and the ways in which said checks and counters can be removed.

• Can a sweeper be successful even if it lacks the ability to weaken its switch-ins?
  • What is the most effective way to remove a certain Pokemon's counters?
  • Will this Pokemon necessarily have to rely on lures or trappers to get rid of its counters?
  • Will it fit better on offensive or defensive teams?
  • Is a Pokemon which cannot possibly lose once its answers are gone a good or bad thing for the metagame?

Explanation: This concept was mainly inspired by 2 Pokemon, Serperior and Rock Polish Mega Diancie. The former is an extremely unique Pokemon, and the closest thing to this concept there is. If the opposing team has a Heatran, a Talonflame, a Venusaur, or an Amooguss, Serperior is a liability, since all it will ever do is deal minuscule damage to one of these Pokemon, take unnecessary Life Orb damage, and be immediately forced out. However, if these checks are removed, Serperior can usually just come in and win, and with little to no effort or possible counterplay too, you can't sack anything to it or force it to go down from Life Orb damage given Contrary Leaf's Storm snowball effect. Serperior proves that this kind of concept is possible, however, it isn't a perfect realisation of it : for one, even if its counters are gone, it can still be revenge killed by scarfers, and it also has a SubSeed set which actually can wear down Heatran and Talonflame... kinda. I highly doubt Contrary is necessary for this concept to work though, another good example of it in action is Rock Polish MDiancie, who pretty much has a single shot to sweep, but if you can get rid of the likes of Ferrothorn, Scizor, Mega-Venusaur, and certain defensive Pokemon, there's little you can do to stop it. However, when using it, I realised it didn't really work like a normal sweeper. You couldn't send it in mid-game to wear down its checks, since its low speed pre-evo and mediocre bulk post-evo meant that it would take far too much damage to pull off a sweep later, especially given that this specific Diancie set runs a SpA boosting nature as opposed to a Speed-boosting one. You have to save Diancie until the very lategame, which means you can't get away with just running counters to Diancie's checks in order to facilitate its sweeps, since said checks could easily switch out, and only really need to switch in when Diancie pops up which it won't as long as these checks are still alive. It's better to either run lures, like HP Fire Latios or Psychic Thundurus, or trappers like Magnezone and Gothitelle. The same thing applies to Serperior. So I'm curious to see if this kind of extreme one-shot win condition necessarily requires lures or trappers to function. I'd also like to see if something like this would be a good thing for the metagame despite having common checks : after all, Serperior is currently BL despite having a very good and common check in UU in Crobat.

Name: Dedicated Win Condition

General Description: A Pokemon which can very easily and effortlessly win if its checks and counters are removed, but is a liability until then.

Justification: Obviously, a lot of Pokemon are designed to sweep once its checks and counters are weakened. However, most of them are able to come in during midgame and weaken their checks to the point where they can sweep later, and/or can be stopped from sweeping with careful play even if the opponent has no checks left. This concept would take the idea of a win condition to the extreme, with a Pokemon completely unable, for one reason or another, to wear down its counters, but once those are removed, can win without any effort or possible counterplay. A completely dedicated win condition would help us explore the mechanics of checking and countering, and the ways in which said checks and counters can be removed.

• Can a sweeper be successful even if it lacks the ability to weaken its switch-ins?
  • What is the most effective way to remove a certain Pokemon's counters?
  • Will this Pokemon necessarily have to rely on lures or trappers to get rid of its counters?
  • Will it fit better on offensive or defensive teams?
  • Is a Pokemon which cannot possibly lose once its answers are gone a good or bad thing for the metagame?

Explanation: This concept was mainly inspired by 2 Pokemon, Serperior and Rock Polish Mega Diancie. The former is an extremely unique Pokemon, and the closest thing to this concept there is. If the opposing team has a Heatran, a Talonflame, a Venusaur, or an Amooguss, Serperior is a liability, since all it will ever do is deal minuscule damage to one of these Pokemon, take unnecessary Life Orb damage, and be immediately forced out. However, if these checks are removed, Serperior can usually just come in and win, and with little to no effort or possible counterplay too, you can't sack anything to it or force it to go down from Life Orb damage given Contrary Leaf's Storm snowball effect. Serperior proves that this kind of concept is possible, however, it isn't a perfect realisation of it : for one, even if its counters are gone, it can still be revenge killed by scarfers, and it also has a SubSeed set which actually can wear down Heatran and Talonflame... kinda. I highly doubt Contrary is necessary for this concept to work though, another good example of it in action is Rock Polish MDiancie, who pretty much has a single shot to sweep, but if you can get rid of the likes of Ferrothorn, Scizor, Mega-Venusaur, and certain defensive Pokemon, there's little you can do to stop it. However, when using it, I realised it didn't really work like a normal sweeper. You couldn't send it in mid-game to wear down its checks, since its low speed pre-evo and mediocre bulk post-evo meant that it would take far too much damage to pull off a sweep later, especially given that this specific Diancie set runs a SpA boosting nature as opposed to a Speed-boosting one. You have to save Diancie until the very lategame, which means you can't get away with just running counters to Diancie's checks in order to facilitate its sweeps, since said checks could easily switch out, and only really need to switch in when Diancie pops up which it won't as long as these checks are still alive. It's better to either run lures, like HP Fire Latios or Psychic Thundurus, or trappers like Magnezone and Gothitelle. The same thing applies to Serperior. So I'm curious to see if this kind of extreme one-shot win condition necessarily requires lures or trappers to function. I'd also like to see if something like this would be a good thing for the metagame despite having common checks : after all, Serperior is currently BL despite having a very good and common check in UU in Crobat.
This was kinda what I had in mind, but with a wall based finish rather than a sweep. Also, a lot better worded than mine.

Name: Against The Grain

General Description: A Pokemon that can do one thing extremely well, but also has one or two backup or secondary things it can do almost as well, completely different to the thing it does best.

Justification: Many Pokemon are designed with a single purpose in mind, both by Gamefreak and by CAP (see Blissey or Aurumoth). However, very few are able to do two almost opposite things at once (such as be a special wall and a set up sweeper, for example). This Pokemon would go against the grain of what it does best, by being able to do something else almost as well at the same time.

• Can a Pokemon that is great at one thing still excel at another thing in today's meta?
  • Can two opposite concepts fit into a single Pokemon?
  • Would the existence of such a Pokemon centralize the metagame around it?
  • Which things can a Pokemon do well together to make both viable?
  • Which stats are most important for a Pokemon to do its job well? Which are less important?
  • Which Pokemon like this can this Pokemon work well with?
  • Can a multifaceted Pokemon make a core in and of itself? Can it be a part of one by using its 'against the grain'?

Explanation: Many Pokemon are placed on a team because they do one thing very well, such as walls, clerics, or sweepers. Teams can be built around certain cores of Pokemon, usually with very good type and defensive/offensive synergy. However, very few Pokemon can make up a core all by themselves, or at least with nearly any other Pokemon (Rotom-W, I'm looking at you). The general question is, can two opposite concepts of how a Pokemon is used be mated into a single Pokemon in a way like never before?

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Resubmitting this concept, if only to get some more thoughts on it.

Name:
The Struggle

General Description: A Pokémon specializing in PP stalling one or more opponents using one or more methods.

Justification: PP Stalling is a strategy that tends to occur only in long stall battles or in certain Other Metagames (I 'm sure we've all noticed that one replay on PS). Yet outside of these kinds of situations, it isn't generally a strategy that players actually aim for except as a last resort/if they have nothing better to do. This concept aims at learning how far one can attempt to PP Stall the opponent, the various methods that can be used to this end, and the means to incorporate such a specific strategy into one or more playstyles.

Questions To Be Answered
  • What are the various methods to PP Stall, and what are the necessary components?
  • Is PP Stall a viable win condition?
  • What effect(s) (if any) will PP Stall have on moveset choices during teambuilding?
  • Can a Pokémon rely on PP Stall and still be viable in the metagame?
  • Will PP Stall affect how conservatively a player uses their low PP moves?
  • What kind of teams would a PP Stall specialist fit into?
  • Is it possible to PP Stall in a offensive manner and/or a defensive manner?
  • What other factors must this concept take into consideration to achieve a viable PP Stall CAP?
  • Is such a strategy better as an overall team focus or as a support to a bigger overall strategy? Can it be both?
Explanation: PP Stall is mostly an ignored strategy, mainly because few Pokémon are dedicated solely to it. There are several Pressure Pokémon viable in OU, but for most of them it is a fall-back strategy when they have no reason to use their many other (mostly support) options. Moves that reduce PP are available, but are a waste of time for little to no short-term/mid-term benefit. So what this concept would focus on are strategies that actively try to stall out PP and find out which ones would truly be effective. The few non-Pressure Pokémon that can PP Stall generally use strategies such as: SubRoost, Wish + Protect, RestTalk, or just spamming other forms of recovery. There is no need for a CAP using this concept to rely on any of these mentioned strategies (though they would definitely help as a launch point), as these tried-and-true strategies are moderately known and wouldn't help us learn too much more. But there are other aspects (typing and stats for the actual CAP process, battling abilities for actual games) that also play a role that we as a whole have little knowledge of that can make or break this concept. That's also not taking into account your opponent either. Affecting people's decisions about power vs. accuracy (as many powerful moves have low PP and/or is inaccurate) is just one of many factors this concept would touch on.

As for how applicable/transferrable this concept would be in the regular OU metagame (or in any other metagame): PP Stall may be an underused strategy, but it can occur in a battle when you least expect it. Understanding all the variables that need to be taken into account on both sides is the key to this concept, and it is definitely knowledge that can be used everywhere. Even in the normal OU metagame there are low PP moves that can easily be stalled out and, thanks to new mechanics, we have even more factors to take into considerations such as typing and status relations. Would the continuously changing metagame affect a PP Stalling strategy? Even learning something about how stalling out just one move affects one's overall strategy would be a great thing to take from this CAP concept. It would be a great learning experience to see what ideas are used to try and make this concept a practical reality, even if we aren't blundering around in the dark for it.

Name: Anti-Status
General Description:
A Pokemon whose purpose is not to heal status but to use it. This pokemon will be able to use all 3 types of status to its advantage,

Justification: Status was always used reasonably until now, in the ORAS metagame. There is not a single good team which does not contain at least one pokemon heavily reliable on inflicting status. The metagame itself now seems to revolve on 2 things: Status and Priority.

There are multiple pokemon who can use status to their advantage like Pokemon with guts/flare boost/quick feet/poison heal/toxic boost/immunity/magic bounce such as Conkledurr, Gliscor, Breloom, Xatu and Espeon. Rest-sleeptalk sets like Suicune's provide both recovery and immunity to status. Certain moves provide recovery from status AND put the status the opponent(psycho shift), heal the entire team's status(soft-boiled, aromatherapy). The ability natural cure cures pokemon's status when it switches out. With the right moveset and abilities, such a pokemon might be created.

Questions to be answered:

• Will the OU tier improve with decrease in status use?
  • Will this cause in decrease in use of now-dominant stall teams?
  • Will discouraging of status leave pokemon like Klefki and Sableye using more innovative, challenging playstyles?
  • Will this benefit any pokemon greatly?
Explanation:
Status is a factor that defines the game immensely, and affects the viability of a large number of Pokemon. Without Will-O-Wisp, Sableye and it's mega would not have reached OU, without Thunder Wave Thundurus's ability prankster becomes quiet useless, and Klefki would have been way less viable. Without toxic, things like protect-substitute Gliscor would not have been half as annoying. While this concept does not mean to drop Gliscor and Sableye in lower tiers, it just attempts to help the OU tier become a better place for pokemon like Honchkrow, Crawdaunt, Staraptor and Salamence to come in and carve out their own-spot in the threatlist in the tier

Last edited:

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Name: Status Reverser
General Description: A Pokemon whose purpose is not to heal status but to use it. For example: Paralysis, instead of halving speed will double it, burn, instead of halving attack will double it and heal the amount of damage it would cause and toxic would work like toxic on poison heal pokemon like gliscor and breloom.

Justification: Status was always used reasonably until now, in the ORAS metagame. There is not a single good team which does not contain at least one pokemon heavily reliable on inflicting status. The metagame itself now seems to revolve on 2 things: Status and Priority.
  • What about the turns paralysis prevents the pokemon from moving?
  • Will discouraging of status leave pokemon like Klefki and Sableye using more innovative, challenging playstyles?
Explanation:
Status is a factor that defines the game immensely, and affects the viability of a large number of Pokemon. Without Will-O-Wisp, Sableye and it's mega would not have reached OU, without Thunder Wave Thundurus's ability prankster becomes quiet useless, and Klefki would have been way less viable. Without toxic, things like protect-substitute gliscor would not have been half as annoying. While this concept does not mean to drop Gliscor and Sableye in lower tiers, it just attempts to help the OU tier become a better place for pokemon like Honchkrow
to come in and carve out their own-spot in the threatlist in the tier.
This looks like it would require a custom ability, which has been banned by CAP.

Name: The Struggle

General Description: A Pokémon specializing in PP stalling one or more opponents using one or more methods.

Justification: PP Stalling is a strategy that tends to occur only in long stall battles or in certain Other Metagames (I 'm sure we've all noticed that one replay on PS). Yet outside of these kinds of situations, it isn't generally a strategy that players actually aim for except as a last resort/if they have nothing better to do. This concept aims at learning how far one can attempt to PP Stall the opponent, the various methods that can be used to this end, and the means to incorporate such a specific strategy into one or more playstyles.

Questions To Be Answered
  • What are the various methods to PP Stall, and what are the necessary components?
  • What effect(s) (if any) will PP Stall have on moveset choices during teambuilding?
  • What other factors must this concept take into consideration to achieve a viable PP Stall CAP?
  • Is such a strategy better as an overall team focus or as a support to a bigger overall strategy? Can it be both?
Explanation: PP Stall is mostly an ignored strategy, mainly because few Pokémon are dedicated solely to it. There are several Pressure Pokémon viable in OU, but for most of them it is a fall-back strategy when they have no reason to use their many other (mostly support) options. Moves that reduce PP are available, but are a waste of time for little to no short-term/mid-term benefit. So what this concept would focus on are strategies that actively try to stall out PP and find out which ones would truly be effective. The few non-Pressure Pokémon that can PP Stall generally use strategies such as: SubRoost, Wish + Protect, RestTalk, or just spamming other forms of recovery. There is no need for a CAP using this concept to rely on any of these mentioned strategies (though they would definitely help as a launch point), as these tried-and-true strategies are moderately known and wouldn't help us learn too much more. But there are other aspects (typing and stats for the actual CAP process, battling abilities for actual games) that also play a role that we as a whole have little knowledge of that can make or break this concept. That's also not taking into account your opponent either. Affecting people's decisions about power vs. accuracy (as many powerful moves have low PP and/or is inaccurate) is just one of many factors this concept would touch on.

As for how applicable/transferrable this concept would be in the regular OU metagame (or in any other metagame): PP Stall may be an underused strategy, but it can occur in a battle when you least expect it. Understanding all the variables that need to be taken into account on both sides is the key to this concept, and it is definitely knowledge that can be used everywhere. Even in the normal OU metagame there are low PP moves that can easily be stalled out and, thanks to new mechanics, we have even more factors to take into considerations such as typing and status relations. Would the continuously changing metagame affect a PP Stalling strategy? Even learning something about how stalling out just one move affects one's overall strategy would be a great thing to take from this CAP concept. It would be a great learning experience to see what ideas are used to try and make this concept a practical reality, even if we aren't blundering around in the dark for it.
Regular Kyurem was capable of pulling this off back in BW2 OU. And unlike other Pressure abusers, Kyurem was capable of exerting offensive pressure as well. I think there was also Poison Heal Gliscor sets that would run Substitute + Protect to PP stall attacks like Hydro Pumps from slower Pokemon, like Rotom-W. The biggest issue with PP stalling in ORAS OU is the fact that there is no Pokemon that can either A) pull it off, or B) has nothing better to do. I guess you could run something like Shadow Tag + Spite, but that still seems really gimmicky, though it could seem useful to wear down PP from attacks like Talonflame's Brave Bird and Keldeo's Scald. I can only thinking of making an improved version of SubRoost Kyurem so it does not have that many crippling weaknesses.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Regular Kyurem was capable of pulling this off back in BW2 OU. And unlike other Pressure abusers, Kyurem was capable of exerting offensive pressure as well. I think there was also Poison Heal Gliscor sets that would run Substitute + Protect to PP stall attacks like Hydro Pumps from slower Pokemon, like Rotom-W. The biggest issue with PP stalling in ORAS OU is the fact that there is no Pokemon that can either A) pull it off, or B) has nothing better to do. I guess you could run something like Shadow Tag + Spite, but that still seems really gimmicky, though it could seem useful to wear down PP from attacks like Talonflame's Brave Bird and Keldeo's Scald. I can only thinking of making an improved version of SubRoost Kyurem so it does not have that many crippling weaknesses.
Regular Kyurem and Poison Heal Gliscor would be great frames to base something off of, but there are still unexplored avenues for PP stalling. Nothing being able to pull it off would be a good reason for this concept, and Pokemon having nothing better to do means that either this concept has to find a way to focus the product to the strategy without making it worthless if the strategy cannot be pulled off. I even noted in my description that usually PP stall only happens as a last resort, if the Pokemon has nothing better they can do. The whole point of the concept is to see if PP stall can be made a formidable strategy by actively trying to PP stall, rather than being forced to. Other avenues to explore would be: typing that naturally draws in attacks that have low PP, a Pokemon winning with just recovery and PP stall, and the effects of this strategy on the types of moves people will use (Low PP or High PP, low accuracy or not).

k here's the change:
Name: Anti-Status
General Description: A Pokemon whose purpose is not to heal status but to be immune to it. This can be accomplished by making the pokemon a Fire Electric type with abilities of Flash Fire and Lightningrod and HA of Poison Heal

Explanation:
Status is a factor that defines the game immensely, and affects the viability of a large number of Pokemon. Without Will-O-Wisp, Sableye and it's mega would not have reached OU, without Thunder Wave Thundurus's ability prankster becomes quiet useless, and Klefki would have been way less viable. Without toxic, things like protect-substitute gliscor would not have been half as annoying. While this concept does not mean to drop Gliscor and Sableye in lower tiers, it just attempts to help the OU tier become a better place for pokemon like Honchkrow
to come in and carve out their own-spot in the threatlist in the tier.

Possible stat distribution: 100 HP 90 Atck 80 Def 90 SpA 75 SpD 120 Spe
You might want to re read the rules. Especially the following:

Specific Pokemon types or type combos cannot be included or excluded in a Concept. Nor can other characteristics of the Concept specifically result in in the inclusion or exclusion of Types. For example, the following phrases would be illegal:
"This is a Fairy pokemon with..."
"The pokemon should be immune to Ghost attacks..."
"The pokemon should have at least 7 resistances..."
"The pokemon should get STAB on Thunderbolt.."
Specific Abilities are not allowed.This applies to existing abilities and new abilities. Do not attempt to circumvent this rule by mentioning specific battle effects that can only be achieved by the implementation of an ability. For example, the following phrases would be illegal:
"This pokemon should have a defensive ability like Intimidate or Marvel Scale..."
"This pokemon has an ability that steals the opponent's held item..."
"When this pokemon is switched in, all weather conditions are nullified..."
Specific stat bias, base stats, or base stat ratings are not allowed. It is acceptable to use descriptive phrases like "fast", "bulky", "strong attacker", etc -- since there are a variety of ways a pokemon can fit those descriptions without specifically requiring certain stats. But, do not use overly-specific descriptions that would narrowly constrain the pokemon's base stat spread.
I think something you might want to consider is instead of immunity, go with your original idea, but change it up a bit. There are a plethora of ways to utilize status: Cro- Sets use rest's sleep for recovery, and an immunity to status, poison heal gliscor and breloom use poison to their advantage, and there are the other abilities like guts, quick feet, flare boost and more. Another form of status abuse comes from magic guard stored power users. They use burns stop other status and can use psycho shift to inflict the burn on a foe. Maybe even as a concept look at stuff like tangled feet + confusion. Investigate a bit more on the original concept, since it is arguably the better of the 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Name: The Struggle

Questions To Be Answered

I've used this once or twice in ranbats, one notable example was a Giratina vs Zapdos (which I forgot to save) where neither was able to damage eachother so this would be a tanky regen mon played late game, probably having a high pp move (like HP with 24 pp, or a speed move with 48 pp) to use when the opponent's out of moves.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
  • Name - Stop Hitting Yourself
  • Description - This pokemon would deter or punish the use of offensive / attacking moves against it.
  • Justification - A pokemon such as this would have a positive effect on the metagame simply by turning the Bulky Offensive / Hyper Offensive mentality the OverUsed tier has grown fond of on its head. This playstyle's fundamental strategy is to deal as much damage as possible to opposing teams while being able to take hits from as many things as possible. If using normal offensive means could not be sucked up, but easily punished by a single pokemon, it might make offensive teams think differently about how to dismantle the opponent's team. This sort of pokemon would also introduce a new niche into combatting offensive pokemon by bypassing traditional routes such as stalling them out, or outspeeding and revenge killing.
  • Questions To Be Answered -
  • Can a single pokemon deter offensive attacks enough to combat offensive teams effectively?
  • What sort of tactics would offense have to employ in order to safely get rid of such a pokemon?
  • What combination of offensive deterrents are most effective?
  • Would stall or balanced teams become more viable if this pokemon could punish offense enough?
  • Explanation - In competitive pokemon there are many abilities, moves, and items that can punish or deter the use of attacking moves. For example, Sucker Punch, Spiky Shield, and Destiny Bond all take advantage of the opponent attacking. The same can be said for abilities such as Rough Skin, Flame Body, and Justified. While there are some pokemon that can utilize these tactics to a certain extent, there isn't a single pokemon that utilizes the most effective combination of them to warrant signifcant amounts of worry of attacking it from a wide range of pokemon. This pokemon would fill that role, and hopefully force users and opposing players alike to think differently about utilizing and beating offensive pokemon. This also doesn't have to turn into Wobbuffett 2.0, as even though Wobbuffett partly discourages attacking, it also doesn't have the tools to do it's job on a consistent basis and is narrowed down to a terribly specific niche.

• Name - Stop Hitting Yourself
  • Description - This pokemon would deter or punish the use of offensive / attacking moves against it.
  • Justification - A pokemon such as this would have a positive effect on the metagame simply by turning the Bulky Offensive / Hyper Offensive mentality the OverUsed tier has grown fond of on its head. This playstyle's fundamental strategy is to deal as much damage as possible to opposing teams while being able to take hits from as many things as possible. If using normal offensive means could not be sucked up, but easily punished by a single pokemon, it might make offensive teams think differently about how to dismantle the opponent's team. This sort of pokemon would also introduce a new niche into combatting offensive pokemon by bypassing traditional routes such as stalling them out, or outspeeding and revenge killing.
  • Questions To Be Answered -
  • Can a single pokemon deter offensive attacks enough to combat offensive teams effectively?
  • What sort of tactics would offense have to employ in order to safely get rid of such a pokemon?
  • What combination of offensive deterrents are most effective?
  • Would stall or balanced teams become more viable if this pokemon could punish offense enough?
  • Explanation - In competitive pokemon there are many abilities, moves, and items that can punish or deter the use of attacking moves. For example, Sucker Punch, Spiky Shield, and Destiny Bond all take advantage of the opponent attacking. The same can be said for abilities such as Rough Skin, Flame Body, and Justified. While there are some pokemon that can utilize these tactics to a certain extent, there isn't a single pokemon that utilizes the most effective combination of them to warrant signifcant amounts of worry of attacking it from a wide range of pokemon. This pokemon would fill that role, and hopefully force users and opposing players alike to think differently about utilizing and beating offensive pokemon. This also doesn't have to turn into Wobbuffett 2.0, as even though Wobbuffett partly discourages attacking, it also doesn't have the tools to do it's job on a consistent basis and is narrowed down to a terribly specific niche.
What I get from your post is a combination of Spiky Shield, Rocky Helmet+Iron Barbs, Counter/Mirror Coat, and King's Shield all in one. So in essentia it is Wobbuffet 2.0, or like Bulky Chomp+Wobba+Ferro+Chesnaught

What I get from your post is a combination of Spiky Shield, Rocky Helmet+Iron Barbs, Counter/Mirror Coat, and King's Shield all in one. So in essentia it is Wobbuffet 2.0, or like Bulky Chomp+Wobba+Ferro+Chesnaught
If you have ever played in the VGC meta, this kind of strategy is prevalent, with most users using rock helmet on stuff like Volcarona/amoonguss to reditect and punish mega kang. It's a good way to rack up chip damage, but it only really works on contact moves. Basically, it looks like a mega-metagross/talonflame counter if it was for the current OU meta, since they are the 2 most prevalent contact users in the top 20

Last edited:
ok i only started lurking CAP late in Plasmanta's development so excuse me if i do not have good ideas

Name:Mobius Double Reach-Around
Desc:A pokemon that uses confusion both on the user or on the target to its maximum potential

Justification: OK so we all know that confusion is far from being the most viable status condition, and infact usually does more harm than help, so my thoughts were, "what would happen if there was a pokemon that utilizes its or its enemies confusion to its advantage. i think this idea will be really fun to explore and will give us some incredible insight on the viablilty of self confusion in the OU metagame
Questions to be asked:
  • How can we use confusion to our advantage?
  • How will the introducing of such a mon fluctuate the fragile balance of the metagame which is packed full of self confusing pokemon such as Kyu-B, Tyranitar an Garchomp?
  • Does confusion even need help being viable?
Explanation there are alot of moves and abilities that utilize or cause confusion, tangled feet which doubles evasion while confused, outrage and thrash which cause confusion to the user after three turns of use, and swagger which causes confusion in the enemy but doubles their attack

Submitting another one as I can by now, I think
-----------

Name: The Pacifist...or is he?

General Description: A Pokemon that basically only seems useful for healing other teammates, helping other teammates damage,block out status,etc, but in extreme situations may be able to pull of a successful KO.

Justification: The current OU meta, is filled with many stally Pokemon, with the rising power of them making Hyper Offense decrease in potential by the minute. The main aim of this concept is to help Hyper Offense gain in potential by this Pokemon healing a sweeper that otherwise was that severely damaged, that it couldn't sweep, add to a sweepers existing sweeping potential by boosting it, or stopping the opponent from raiding their teams sweeping potential.However, what makes this concept different from other stally Pokemon and wish passers is that in dire situations, this Pokemon may nab a KO himself but get hindered in the process.

• Will Hyper Offense have a raise in potential if this sort of Utility is used?
  • Will it help some mons have a raise in usage?
  • Will this help teams get momentum back from dire situations?
Explanation: i've basically covered all I've wanted to say, but here's why I thought of making this concept: Stall is an extremely overused concept in OU,with almost every team having a chansey, slowbro, sableye, and many other things.
Hyper Offense suffered a great deal from this. Other Utility mons are mostly used just for Utility, and if the situation is intense, like for example the two last Pokemon of the teams battling, one being utility, and one being Hyper Ofeense/Stall, usually Utility wont be able to win. But, if they just had a move that could be usable, even as last resort, it would be helpful. To not make this Pokemon capable of doing everything, the concept doesnt suggest giving it great attacks, but attacks that can be usable but hinders the user.

-----------

General Description: A Pokemon that basically only seems useful for healing other teammates, helping other teammates damage,block out status,etc, but in extreme situations may be able to pull of a successful KO.

Justification: The current OU meta, is filled with many stally Pokemon, with the rising power of them making Hyper Offense decrease in potential by the minute. The main aim of this concept is to help Hyper Offense gain in potential by this Pokemon healing a sweeper that otherwise was that severely damaged, that it couldn't sweep, add to a sweepers existing sweeping potential by boosting it, or stopping the opponent from raiding their teams sweeping potential.However, what makes this concept different from other stally Pokemon and wish passers is that in dire situations, this Pokemon may nab a KO himself but get hindered in the process.

Explanation: i've basically covered all I've wanted to say, but here's why I thought of making this concept: Stall is an extremely overused concept in OU,with almost every team having a chansey, slowbro, sableye, and many other things.
Hyper Offense suffered a great deal from this. Other Utility mons are mostly used just for Utility, and if the situation is intense, like for example the two last Pokemon of the teams battling, one being utility, and one being Hyper Ofeense/Stall, usually Utility wont be able to win. But, if they just had a move that could be usable, even as last resort, it would be helpful. To not make this Pokemon capable of doing everything, the concept doesnt suggest giving it great attacks, but attacks that can be usable but hinders the user.
Isn't that basically just Clefable?

-----------

I agree with NumberCruncher that pokemon has already been created it's clefable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)