CAP 19 - PRC Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
READ THIS FIRST.

You do not need to apply to the CAP PRC in order to participate in CAP events. All polls and discussion threads in this forum are open for public use; the PRC serves an entirely different function that is separate from the current CAP process.
This thread is for people who want to apply to the Create-A-Pokemon Project Policy Review Committee. Remember, the PRC is in charge of discussing policy changes to the CAP Process in general, all of which take place in the CAP Policy Review Forum (which everyone can see but only CAP PRC are able to post in). Note that if you're a guest viewing the CAP forums, you cannot view the CAP PRC forum, so that is all the more reason for you to register and see what CAP is all about! It's a great place to read the opinions of some of the most seasoned CAP veterans.

Please stuff as much relevant information about yourself as you can in these applications; a short few lines will no longer suffice. In terms of guidance, it would be wise to describe a) your CAP experience, b) your Smogon experience, and c) your Pokemon experience. To apply, describe your involvement in the CAP Project in all areas, including but not limited to: past CAP polls, PR discussions, playtesting RMTs/discussions, CAP analyses workshops, #cap on IRC, CAP metagame involvement, submitted material, etc. It can really only help your case if you provide links to example posts for things like submissions or suggestions. I cannot stress this enough: please take time to fill out your application thoroughly. Also, recall that this is a rolling application, meaning that you can apply whenever it is convenient for you to do so.

As an aside, we're not looking for perfect members. There is not going to be a limit on the number of users the CAP moderators accept for the PRC, and we would prefer more to less. I doesn't overly matter how long you've contributed. We're mainly looking for the best users in CAP to step up and start leading, regardless of join date. If you feel like you have contributed positively to CAP in any way, please feel free to apply. Note that significant work within the Policy Review Committee could earn you a Community Contributor badge. Remember that we are especially looking for active CAP PRC members to be involved in our discussion. Furthermore, rejection now will not disqualify you permanently; signups will be open again after every CAP. Inactivity or serious misconduct is the only way to lose PRC status, so you have nothing to lose by applying and quite a bit to gain.

The CAP 19 Policy Review Committee

Birkal
bugmaniacbob
capefeather
Chaos Wolf
DarkSlay
Deck Knight
DetroitLolcat
DHR-107
DougJustDoug
ginganinja
HeaLnDeaL
jas61292
Korski
nyttyn
paintseagull
Quanyails
srk1214
The Reptile
Vryheid

All of these members will be given posting privileges to the CAP Policy Review subforum. They will have the ability to create threads on important CAP issues as well. They've also been granted the ability to vote on these issues and shape the future of CAP as a whole. PRC members, don't forget that you can PM any of the CAP moderators if you have any questions or concerns. We hope we can all be as active and vocal as possible in order to get work done. We can't wait to work with all of you to make positive changes in this project!

Potential topics this PR cycle include (but are not limited to):

The Mechanics of the PRC
The State of the CAP Metagame
CAP Pre-Evolutions
Mega Evolutions
Others Topics Recommended by the PRC​

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I have been a long time CAP lurker and have messed around with CAPs on online simulators since the time of Shoddy. However, within the past year or so is when I've started to mature as a Pokémon player and have been much more regularly involved in Pokémon Showdown. Towards the end of 2013, I found the CAP metagame on Showdown, which sparked me to try to finally get involved within the actual CAP process.

My first participation within the CAP subforum was with Cawdet. I was very much “the new boy on the block,” as DHR himself called me during one of the polls. However, despite this I managed to have two successful submissions that got slated and I ended up coming in second place for the movepool stage (submission:http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...5-move-pool-submissions.3497715/#post-5151998) and even won in the stats stage (submission:http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-6-pre-evo-part-4-stats-submissions.3497115/#post-5128694). On the reverse side of the coin however, my art submission came in dead last in the polls, which kept me in check. In any event, CAP pre-evolutions is a main topic of interest that Birkal has outlined in this next PRC cycle, so I hope my participation with Cawdet strengthens the merits of my application.

When CAP18 finally started, I tried to become involved as much as I could, despite having my busiest semester at college yet. Though many of the ideas that I argued for didn’t win, I do think that I offered valid arguments in opposition to some things, such as disagreeing with No Guard (and an inherent chance of inferno) during the abilities stage. As the process marched on, I will admit that my competitive discussion waned slightly, but despite this I still voted in every poll and had many fun and enjoyable discussions about the options in the CAP chatroom on Pokémon Showdown. I will admit that the art side of things took away the majority of my attention during the second half of the Volkraken process, but this did allow me to spend a lot of time on my sprite submission, which ultimately won (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-18-part-11-sprite-poll-2.3507380/).

There is no hiding that I have started my participation with CAP fairly recently. However, throughout my CAP forum experience (including CAP prevo) I have had four submissions that have been slated, and of those one has placed in second and two have managed to win in the polls. Since starting, I think (or at least hope) people have become more aware of who I am, even if I don’t spend as much time on CAP IRC as a lot of other members.

Now, despite my success in “flavor” departments, I also want to emphasive that I am also a competitively minded person when it comes to CAP and Pokémon in general. Though I do admit that my start with the CAP prevo project and Cawdet was largely a flavor-based endeavor, I do want to add that it was never 100% devoid of competitive aspects either. The reasoning and decision making that led me to being slated and to have success in the CAP prevo polls are still transferable to more competitive discussions because in both events describing your intent and using relevant examples are very much important.

In terms of my other Pokémon endeavors, I currently co-own a Fakemon server as well. Through this experience, I have become familiar with certain aspects of the Showdown code, and was able to offer some assistance to jas when it came to coding Volkraken. Furthermore, the fakemon creation process used on my server, though considerably different than that of CAP, is still very much a competitive/discussion-based process in which “Labmons” are created, balanced, and tested on our server. While I do not want my server to detract from my CAP participation, it is definitely a similar interest and one that I hope has given me more experience in the regards to Pokémon creation, both in regards to competitive planning and in actual javascript coding.

Now, the point of discussion outlined by Birkal for this PRC cycle that interests me the most is definitely the state of the CAP metagame, and I believe that this is the area that I can offer the most insight in. The CAP metagame without a doubt is one of my favorite metas on Showdown, and one that I compete in and contribute to. It is because of my involvement with this meta that I am currently a well-known Driver in the CAP Showdown room. In the past, I have done very well on the CAP ladder. Before the switch to elo, I managed to ladder an alt up to over 2000 acre, fitting myself into the number two slot. After elo came to be, I even topped the ladder for multiple weeks (proof: http://imgur.com/a/0Uuur). Even today, I am very active in the CAP room on Showdown and discuss the metagame regularly with users such as Vryheid and Tadasuke. I even do a lot of unrated CAP battles in order to help out new players get a feel for the meta and to offer helpful advice in teambuilding and how to use some of the CAPmons.

I definitely appreciate CAP from multiple angles; I value the creation process and the playtests in which a newly creation CAPmon is put into the current OU meta. But, I also very much enjoy the CAP metagame where all past CAP creations can come together to form a unique and enjoyable experience all to their own.

In summary, despite having joined in on the CAP forum discussions recently, I have participated and enjoyed the process a lot. I have had success with the CAP prevo, Cawdet. I followed and read all of the discussions throughout the Volkraken process, replied when I thought I could further the discussions, and worked on the spriting stage. I’m an active Driver of the CAP Showdown room and have respect both for the CAP playtests and the CAP meta. I play competitively on Showdown, and I hope my success in certain metagames lends to my credibility. Overall, I’m someone who has grown to respect CAP from a multitude of angles, whether it is with competitive aspects, flavor aspects, main CAP, CAP-prevo, CAP playtests, or the CAP meta.

Sidenote: It's quite nerve wrecking for me to be the first to apply, but I hope it encourages many others to apply, regardless of how long they've spent with CAP.

Vryheid

fudge jelly
The year is 20XX. The hellish wasteland known as the Gen 5 CAP meta is winding down into its final days, its bountiful fruit pillaged by Quiver Dance Aurumoths and overpowered rain teams. With all pretense of leadership and organization abandoned, the few survivors struggled to find meaning in a the ruins which resembled little more than a convoluted mish-mash of generic OU standards and gimmicky, dysfunctional CAPmons.

From the depths, the Prophet arises, to bring hope to a metagame shadowed by despair

The Prophet joined with early disciples such as EpicUmbreon29 on his quest for CAP enlightenment. In their early days, they rediscovered the works of the ancients, and improved sets such as Revenankh's standard Bulk Up sweeping set with updated moves such as Drain Punch. Early offensive pressure cores such as Kitsunoh + Colossoil were developed, and experimentation began on how to handle each CAP threat with a fair amount of reliability. Some CAPmons were found to perform spectacularly well in the meta, while certain others were less than stellar. Despite this small group dominating what remained of the ladder, they did their best to introduce new players into their small collective and teaching them how to at least make semi-functional teams out of what was available to them. Hence while the players were not yet as skilled as knowledgeable as their later incarnations, they were at least semi-competitive.

Then came Gen 6, and the early days of the transitioning the CAPmons over to a new metagame. The buff to Knock Off quickly became immensely significant, becoming the standard on Colossoil and cementing its role as the most popular wallbreaker and late game cleaner in the tier, a standard the Prophet helped to develop. He took an active role in taking the best sets available in OU and adapting them to a CAP environment. He taught people how to not get their asses handed to them by sweepers like Aurumoth and Syclant, the kinds of a strategic options every good CAP team would need to have to succeed with any degree of consistency, and the most effective counters to every CAP Pokemon in the meta. Players frequenting the CAP room began to look at him as having some degree of authority and more than a few actually followed his advice.

But the Prophet was not satisfied with these developments. He believed that by pushing the abilities of these CAPmons to their limits, the meta could accomplish something truly unique out of the non-standard metagames on Showdown- a variation of Gen 6 OU that was more balanced, more skill-intensive, and depended far more on prediction and resource management rather than team composition when determining the outcome of a match. A metagame where Azumarill, Mega Charizard X, Aegislash and Talonflame could be easily countered, where randomly throwing out Knock Off and Stealth Rock could be consistently punished, and where stall cores would require some continual prediction to win matches rather than mindlessly walling every threat. Basically, OU with a lot of the annoying bullshit rebalanced or removed.

And thus the Eternal CAP Crusade came to pass. A cadre of holy warriors soon developed around slaying gimmicks and inefficient strategies whenever they showed their despicable faces. Practically all of these players learned from and shared wisdom with the Prophet, including Animus the Wise, PepsiPlunge the Relentless and Gday the Australian. The Prophet was informally considered the lead advocate of this burgeoning community, continually working to instruct people how to play in the meta (despite the CAP teambuilder not functioning properly for months after Gen 6 started), and how to properly shut down threats considered “2 stronk” for the OU tier such as Genesect and Mega Lucario. He quickly became a chat mod, fighting off the hordes of demons and spammers who sought to thwart the path to CAP Nirvana. A general attitude emerged that hard work and enormous amounts of experimentation, team tweaking, and research would result in a balanced meta, and the very concept of banning anything in the tier was considered a laughable sign of weakness.

Even the Great Cawmodore Incident of November 2013 could not fell the Prophet, who managed to rank higher than any other active player on the ladder (not including those sitting on dead alts) while refusing to abandon use of Cawmodore despite the playerbase continually overcompensating for it. However, the Prophet was also determined to see the Gen 6 CAP tier not forced to run gimmicky crap like Scarf Rotom or Zapdos as checks:

The Prophet's reworked bulky Cyclohm set slays the mighty beast

The introduction of the standard balance core was the Prophet's main initial achievement of the post Cawmodore era, helping many new CAP players build teams that drastically improved their consistency and effectiveness on the ladder. This basic layout, involving Tomohawk, physically bulky Cyclohm, a mixed sweeper, a specially bulky pivot, a revenge killer, and a utility mon, remains one of the most effective team compositions against practically any strategy. The creation of an initial viability list quickly followed with the input of practically every major player on the CAP ladder, further providing resources to new players interested in quickly learning the basics of the meta. This latter list was eventually converted to its own thread, which he does plan on updating once this playtest is over with.

The Prophet quickly became the most dominating, and arguably the most knowledgeable, player of Gen 6 CAP. In addition to holding the lead ladder spot for far longer than any other player in the tier, he repeatedly forced the CAP community to evolve and improve with the introduction of heavily optimized hyperoffense and stall teams- two strategies once thought terribly ineffective in the meta due to the number of overwhelming sweepers and revenge killers available. He helped organize strategies discovered by other innovative players like hlobe, FlarZ and HeaLnDeal, and worked continually to ensure that the community maintained an inclusive and close-knit environment. While Gen 6 CAP was never considered to be a “developed” meta in the same line as OU or VGC, the community most certainly is, and the Prophet was proud to be a part of its growth from practically nothing to the extremely dedicated core of players centered around the Showdown CAP room today.

He is currently working on a Volkraken-related commentary video for the Smogon Youtube channel and recently finished writing a comprehensive strategy guide for Tomohawk in the current metagame. He also submitted a pretty popular concept submission during the latest CAP process, and will probably do so again the next time a CAP is in development.

While possibly insane, and fanatical in his quest for purity and justice, the Prophet believes that his experience and dedication would be invaluable in improving the State of the CAP Metagame as described in the original post. Whether or not you choose to accept his inspired word into your collective is now in your hands.

Last edited:
Though he is know best as Animus, he has older, and even far wiser alts that played CAP in generation 5.

When Animus began playing CAP, rain stall was extremely common, and because of this, he grew a strong dislike towards all stall teams. The meta as a whole was corrupt, and sweepers could go on frenzies. Ironically though, the strongest sweeper in the game was a life orb Tomohawk, who would tear through opponents late game.He played for a few months, and alas, when he was at the top of the game, he vanished. He was not heard from again until the beginning of gen 6, when order and balance had been restored by the prophet Vryheid.

It was at this time that he decided to return. He knew nothing of the new CAPmons Aurumoth and Cawmodore, and was swept many times by the belly drum of a mindless bird led by mindless trainers. But he was persistent. He kept aiming at the ladder, with the hopes of one day dethroning the great prophet of his place, and defeat the stall that so strongly dominated the meta. It is at this point, when he was considered a decent player, that Viperfang4 requested him to join the lobby chat. Being young and bold, he refused. Who would need the help of amateurs, he thought. It turns out that for the first two months of the gen 6 CAP, he would never join the lobby. He would never interact with other players, and he would most certainly never use the stall-based teams that were so dominant.

So he used these two months to plan his counter attack.

He came up with incredibly popular CAP sets today such as mixed landorus and clefable. More so, he created the first successful gen 6 CAP mixed that could counter stall and survive Hyper offense. It is at this moment, when he had reached top 10 in the ladder for the first time in gen 6, that he decided to click the CAP lobby room. This decision would forever change his life. He was welcomed with the funny comment “Whoa, Animus is in the ladder AND the chat.” The whole community embraced him, and this inspired him to be more innovative and to help out new CAP members as well as long time veterans.

It is for these next few months that he popularized some of the most common CAP-tier pokemon, and he has been asked to help analyze the CAP meta on multiple occasions. Regarded as one of if not the wisest and knowledgeable player in the meta, Animus began tutoring new players in the ways of CAP, and has seen growth since he began playing.

Stall was extremely dominant when he joined, but now, since his popularizations of Gothitelle, Mega Pinsir, Landorus, Sylveon, and Latios, there are more counters to these nasty teams that once tormented and obliterated all the new players that would try to join. Animus gave them hope (and sarcasm), and many of the current teams are based off of either his or the Prophet’s strategies.

The exact number of days has not been counted, but the Prophet and Animus have exchanged the number 1 ranking spot for the past 6 months, each person adjusting to new foes, pokemon, and ideas. New people have been inclined to join CAP as Animus has gratefully shared his teams and ideas with incoming players with the hope of increasing the player base. There was a time, though, when Animus temporarily fell to the Dark Side, and began using 4-5 pokemon on the same team to counter chansey/cyclohm/tomahawk cores as well as chansey/skarmory cores. He ran super power on multiple pokemon, and began to use unconventional tactics. But he was saved and reborn as a new player.

Recently, Hyper offense was developed as a way to counter his unique stall countering strategies. The CAP community can say without a doubt that Animus is the second most influential person in the tier, and is proud to call the CAP lobby his home. He now spends all of his time watching, testing, and experimenting with new ideas and strategies to help further advance the metagame.

With regret, Animus did not participate much in CAP 18. He voiced his opinion, but never officially voted. He mostly was active in the chat and ladder. But he plans to change that. He wants CAP to get better, and was recognized earlier this year for his contributions by being awarded room voice. He also is a major force in sky battles and monotype, and continues to bring in new ideas from different tiers, such as honchkrow and zapdos. And most of all, he makes sure the adapting Hyper offense and stall based meta stays under control.

Animus hopes that his knowledge of the CAP meta will be useful in developing and improving our CAP, and that one day, stall will be defeated… The battle will never end.

Hello, my name is Kingriolu. I have been playing pokemon since I was 9(4 years).Although I might not be as good as my fellow pokemon lovers, I do learn quickly, so I am getting better every day. My main contributions are in the art thread, which I contribute to by giving critique and encouragement, and in the near future; creating an art thread. As for CAP contributions, it was mainly voting for movesets,sprites,art. The first CAP I have participated in was the eighteenth CAP,volkraken which means that I am rather new to CAP.
Although I am new, I have been able to climb up the CAP ladder and into the top ten, and then I fell a little and made an alt(kingriolu22). the CAP chatroom on pokemon showdown is where I am usually found. Over there I welcome players newer to CAP with some information, advice, and a bright smile. I am an acquaintance to HeaLnDeaL, Vryheid, and pepsiplunge. I have also answered many questions that newer players have about CAP, so I definitely have knowledge about the CAP metagame. In the future, I will submit art designs now that I understand CAP very well. I earned voiced status in the CAP chatroom due to contributing positively and helping new players.
My ambitions for the next CAP is to make it a versatile pokemon that can fit different roles, a little like arcanine. I felt that for CAP 18, we went a little in the wrong direction with the core. I just didn't think that it worked out well with lucario. So for the next CAP, we should probably gear away from cores. It looked great in the planning stages, but the execution was not as stellar, in my opinion.
My areas of expertise when it comes to pokemon is predicting what is going to happen with a pokemon. I am also good at creating neverused pokemon into viable ones(for example, I beat two out of three uber teams with a team of electric rodents) I think my abilities will help make CAP because I could maybe use my second skill to edit the movepool,stats,abilities of a previous CAP so that it can stand a chance at being viable or live up to its concept. For example, kitsunoh's concept is to be the ultimate scout, however, I feel that it is not fast enough to truly be an ultimate scout, or a good lead for that matter. My first skill can be used to identify issues early in the process, so the CAP doesn't become as broken as aurumoth.

To close this off, I just want you to know that I will be as dedicated as possible, although sometimes I might be offline for a day or two due to school :(. Thank you for your consideration.

Replay:http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/cap-123204180

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello again! Despite me currently literally being away, I apply to PRC in hopes of contributing to discussions on several components of CAP, including but not limited to the Concept Stage's purpose, modular steps, Pokemon models vs. sprites, and other changes in Gen. VI that affect the CAP process. Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit, forget loquacious purple prose. I will be brief.
  • I've been an active member of CAP since joining during Necturna.
  • My CAP process contributions to CAP lie primarily in flavor, though I have submitted material for Concepts. I've won a few times.
  • I read through each steps' discussion threads and vote.
  • I frequent #cap on synIRC and provide a cent or two to discussions there.
  • I partake in CAP pre-evos.
Additional CAP contributions:
  • I maintain a post in the art thread to keep submissions easy-to-follow and to provide a legality check.
  • I animate CAP sprites.
  • I add material for CAP's TV Tropes page. :U
  • I revamped CAP icons for Gen. VI.
  • I reminded those concerned about CAP AFD sprites and made a bunch of those AFD sprites. :P

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Right, lets throw down with some history.

Since my last ap for the final PRC of Gen 5, I was finishing up leading the creation of Embirch and Flarelm. Those have both now been completed, and since them; Aurumoths Prevos, Brattler and Breezi have all joined that club (and possibly the soon to be Babydore). I have had extensive reach within the prevo projects CaP has run, and I was awarded Community Contributor based on those efforts. Since that time I have been very regular in IRC (where I have Hop status), aiding in discussion and putting forward ideas and giving feedback to others. I've also been around for forever if that counts towards anything! I have participated in all of the play tests since Necturna and do have a genuine interest in keeping this project running as well as possible.
That was last time. Since then I have headed up the creation of Cawdet and actively posted in PRC in the previous cycle about Megas, Abilties and other changes Generation 6 has brought. I have also been upgraded to AOP status in #CaP and still talk about the various topics which come up. I have strong ties to most of the flavour aspects of Pokemon and am currently helping out Birkal/Paintseagull with some possible changes. I also make sure to keep track of trends/topics while the competitive steps of CaP are taking place.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Resubmitting my application

O.k so I am a fairly active member on CAP, I have been active in the various discussion threads of past CAPs, I have offered my opinion as required in previous PRC threads, and am fairly active over IRC. In addition, I was recently the movepool leader of the CAP just gone, and am thus fairly involved in the processes of creating a CAP. Most of you already know that I am fairly involved in various areas of the site, giving me a unique perspective on things outside of the CAP forum, as well as my general personality and everything else.

Everyone knows I hate tl'dr posts so I'll keep it short and to the point.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Don't have time for a long post, so here is the nom post from CAP18 if credentials are wanted.

I didn't get much of a chance to participate in CAP18 due to university finals and my participation in the current playtest is exceptionally limited owing to real-life commitments and my own relative inexperience with XY OU. Most contributions came at the beginning, where I took part in the concept submissions and, briefly, that CAPcast that disappeared from the internet, and at the end, where I made an effort to critique the finished movepools and built a comparison spreadsheet for ease of examination.

There are a number of current topics in the OP that I'd like to have the opportunity to provide input on, as well as my own - a number of CAP pages are still out of date or missing, or else lacking in detail, notably TLT nominations, TLT selection, stat limits, movepool limits, and possibly threats and counters. Also dex submissions. I'd also like to either lead or take part in a workshop to update the on-site stat ratings article, plus any other article ideas that people have. Oh, and maybe that credits page I was working on a while back, too. That and getting historical documentation off the ground. That's my goal for this PRC cycle, at any rate.

EDIT: Oh whoops, I forgot: I'd also like to update the RM list with more current gen 6 knowledge. I know some people already want to remove Swagger from RM, but there will be others, I'm sure

EDIT2: RM not VGM silly me

Last edited:

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hey everyone, I'm an active member in just about every non-Art related area in CAP, I've been on the TLT twice and was the TL for CAP18. I'm an experienced discussion leader and I enjoy debating with the other PRC members in the Policy Review forum, and I'd like to discuss many of the topics in the OP of this post. I play the CAP metagame and I'd like to see that metagame become more popular and respected. I've been in CAP since Colossoil and have been an IRC mainstay for longer than I can remember. This PR cycle will be crucial towards shaping CAP policy for the rest of the sixth generation, and I'd like to be a part of shaping that policy. On Smogon, I mostly stick to CAP, although I do casually play OU and RU as well. I had a brief stint on the UU council a couple years back, but about 90% of my activity in Smogon is in CAP.

In terms of credentials, I've been a TL, a two-time TLT, I've written an analysis and I've won a playtest. I'd like to keep debating policy with you all for another round if you'll have me :)

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I suppose I'll apply for PRC

I have only participated in one CAP so far, the most recent. Though I do not have way to much experience participating in CAP, I have a good knowledge of the process and what is deemed acceptable and unacceptable (yeah I read that old policy review about optics). I was extremely active in the first few parts of CAP 18, the concept assessment, typing, threats, and ability, but I lost activity in the stats (I was sort of confused, though looking back it actually seems simple enough). I was a little late to the party in the movepool discussion so it was hard to dive right in, though I did participate in some of the polls.

Credential wise, I do not have much but I am doing fairly well in the current CAP playtest peaking in the 20s.

Thanks for your time!!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've updated the original post with the current CAP 19 Policy Review Committee! Remember, this crew was selected by the entire CAP moderation staff; I speak for many when congratulating each of you on this accomplishment. For those of you who were not accepted, feel free to shoot me a message to discuss it with you further -- most of you just need a bit more time with the project under your belts.

I will be updating all of your permissions so you can begin posting in the subforum; we'll begin work either tonight or tomorrow. Ask any CAP moderator if you have any subjects you'd like to discuss as a Policy Review Committee during this time. And recall that there are rolling applications, meaning anyone can still apply for this round of Policy Review Committee. See you all soon!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, longtime CAP participant here.

I've won a poll (dex entries, lol), placed in the top few in at least one playtest, QCed an analysis, nearly finished writing Cawmodore's analysis (I'm seriously sorry it's taken this long), and just acted as a TLT on Volkraken. As a part of PRC last cycle, I led our ability banlist update and I'd like to be on PRC again to talk out whatever problems there may be.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone, your friendly neighborhood DarkSlay here, applying for PRC once again. I'll list my CAP experience below in bullet point form so that I don't ramble on.
  • An active member of CAP since Gen IV CAP 10.
  • Second place in Voodoom's overlook poll.
  • Was selected as the ATL of Necturna.
  • Was the Movepool TLT leader for Cawmodore.
  • hOPs on CAP's IRC channel #cap.
  • Various contributions to many different CAP projects.
  • Past vice president (Secretary) of CAP ASB.
  • Various Top 10 ladder rankings over my years as a battles.
  • Created analyses for Machoke (Gen IV) and Landorus-T (XY).
There might be more, but this seems pertinent to PRC standards. I hope to be a part of the PRC team once again so that we can make CAP an extremely enjoyable experience for all, as it's been for years!

canno

formerly The Reptile
So hi, I've been doing CAP for a while now (I think my first CAP that I worked on was Necturna, but I lurked the Tomohawk thread), and haven't applied for prc, so why not do it now? I haven't done anything extremely notable - I've had my submissions slated from time to time for stuff like movepools and typings and whatnot. I also go on IRC from time to time (if you don't go there, I'd recommended completely - it's great fun!) Despite this, I've recently dropped in activity with CAP, but I really want to get back into it, and the best way to do so is to become a PRC I feel. Just like in CAP, I've been on Smogon for a while now, and even have pre-contributer badge. On Smogon I spend most of my time in the Other Meta's and CAP forums, although sometimes I branch out into other places such as the OU forum. Competitively I've played for all of BW/BW2 meta and late Gen 4 (although I was a scrub in Gen 4 so I don't really count that). Back in Gen 5 I mostly played NU and some OU (outside of Other Metas and CAP), and will probably be following suite in Gen 6. However, I've been playing Pokemon since Crystal, although I would consider Emerald to be my "first game" because of how memorable it is to me.

Hopefully I get accepted as a PRC member - I'm not really that good with applications ;_;

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I'm nyttyn, and I'm an alcoholi-

Wait, this isn't alcoholics anonymous? Crap.

Joking aside, applying for PRC again. You all know me. I'm that person who lurks on IRC a lot, says way too many things, has a tendency to get too passionate, blah blah so on and so forth. My only real achivements of note are winning Mollux's movepool stage and consistently placing well in movepool polls, as well as having participated in every cap from Mollux and later. I kind of snoozed out for the second half of volkraken, but that was due to RL obligations. I've also been on the PRC for awhile now, so yeah. You guys know I'm not good at this crap so in short: participated for like five or six CAPs now, constant contributer, I basically live on #CAP most of the time, I constantly partake in PRC discussion, you guys know I'm good, i've written this same app up like 4 times now and it gets harder to figure out how to write it up every time.

p.s. birkal smells.

Hey All, name's Chaos Wolf.

So, I've been watching and helping on occasion since Syclant's creation back in 2007. My first actual contribution being towards Pyroak. Since then, I watch from the sidelines, voting on occasion for some of the more aesthetic things. This also is why I'm applying for PRC. During Volkraken's Sprite poll I discussed with PaintSeagull the possibility of Switching from Sprites to 3d Models. unfortunately failing to set up a model for it in time in part due to Finals. While I may not be able to personally create the models for the CaP project, I would probably be able to weigh in and offer some insight as to the workflow of a 3d model given my three years at a Computer Graphics College and may be helpful in determining that plan's viability.

Birkal

We have the technology.
The CAP moderators and I have updated the list of applicants yet again. You all should have forum permission to post in the Policy Review subforum as well. Expect the first thread up shortly here (unless I pass out at my keyboard).

Remember, if you didn't make it into the Policy Review Committee this time, do not lose heart! You can always apply again later.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I've been playing competitive Pokemon since before I was COPPA-legal, having downloaded Shoddy in August or September of '09. I've never been very good, at least at OU, but I have four years of battling experience under my belt so that has to count for something. I don't really play OU much any more (in fact, I'd stop completely if I didn't need to know it to participate in CAP), since I almost exclusively do Doubles now.

I joined Smogon a year later, when I turned 13 because I actually bothered to read the rules announcement before making an account. So I've been a site member for over three years, though i really only started using my account around when BW was released in America, and never took a break since. The place where I have the most posts is ASB, since that's necessarily true of everyone who does PC++ Style Battling. I have a smog media contrib badge for my contributions to the twitch.tv and the smog; most importantly, I co-lead the Doubles metagame with Pocket.

I'd been playing All-CAP since I first downloaded shoddybattle and I loved it, so one of the first things I did when I joined the forums was to check out this subforum. Voodoom was already over, so the first project I participated in was Tomohawk—please don't find my posts from Tomohawk. I submitted concepts for CAPs 2-5 and a couple of stat spreads, and some flavor stuff. Not a large paper trail, but I tend to do a lot more arguing than submitting. I got VOps in #cap last summer but lost them around the start of Malaconda for being a fuck, but I'm still really active in the channel. I did decently in Aurumoth and Mollux playtests, placing third in both or something like that. I acted as the Ability Leader for CAP18 and earned a cap ladybug before it was overwritten for Doubles things.

Qwilphish

when everything you touch turns to gold
Back again for another round of PRC!

I've been posting in CAP competitively since Malaconda I believe and have since been participating in many aspects of CAP since then, including the last 2? PRC Cycles in which I try to throw in my two cents. My main experience in CAP has been in IRC in which I try to participate in as many discussions as I overcome to as I can (even if my side-comments are usually disruptive as best I admit :x). Recently w/ Volkraken I was the one to propose the chosen core which we built the CAP around which was my first "win" in CAP, with only a sparse amount of submitted ideas making it far. CAP is great and I can't wait for PRC this time around and CAP 19 as a whole n_n

Over the last few days, paintseagull has been garnering excitement to move forward with a project to make fully textured and animated 3D models to use for Showdown. As a game animation student, I wanted to know more about her plans, and we got to talking. I was able to answer most of her questions regarding time constraints and what would be needed out of the programs to make a 3D modeled and textured Pokemon that matches the art style in XY, and offered to participate wherever I may be needed in the process once it starts up.

I've been studying 3D animation for games for 3 years now, and have a wide range of knowledge and reference to offer to the 3D project. From good modeling practices and techniques to animating a finished product, I've been exposed to the game art workflow enough to be an active participant and a valuable judge of quality for paintseagull's new art venture. I've also watched the CAP process happen from start to finish since Malaconda and have lightly participated in different aspects of CAP, and know enough about the different sprite projects to understand how the 3D artists would be expected to interact.

For CAP19, I'm applying strictly to give suggestions for making the 3D model process smooth and understandable for everyone, as there are a number of things needed to begin each consecutive step between modeling, texturing, rigging, lighting/shading and animation that I'd like to either give myself or see provided. I haven't been active enough in CAP, and I haven't studied policy review enough to feel comfortable about posting for any other reason, but I'm extremely excited for the prospect of working in 3D with the CAP community, and I'd greatly appreciate getting to teach everyone here about how hobbyists and big game companies alike create and breathe life into their characters.

hello my name is drapion360dragonkiller im actually very new to smogon ive known about it and the cap project for a bit now as well as spken with some cap contributers on mibbit and i believie that i can ad a little bit more heart to the cap metagame.

ive been with pokemon since i was young ive always liked it but i am only know at fifteen do i truly understand pokemon a d all of itgts complexity but i am a person of heart i see pokemon as living breathing creatures that are to be trusted and loved im also very inturested in thcap project as i have made pokemon myselfbuy studying actuall pokemon and what goes into documenting them i beleive i can give a more artistic and emotional standpoint to the cap process and metagameto give a wi

sorry wasnt done a wider audiance of people a chance to experience pokemon in a differnt light aside from numbers and technical data
and to give a moreheartfelt meaning to pokemon and what it teaches.

though i have only had a year of experience on pokemon showdown and have just recently found the cap server i am stiill a very expirienced yet odd trainer who would rather trust and love the pokemon he has rather than go look for some perfect numbers

i think that an artistic standpiont on the cap process tha i can give will allow many cap fans beginners and veterans the chance to understand more about pokemon and understand why all pokemon are good regardless of shape size stats or move pools if you know how to use them

Last edited by a moderator:
Better late than never, I suppose.

My history with Smogon and CAP is longer than my join date and activity may suggest; I have been aware of the project's existence since Mollux and most of my time spent lurking Smogon was spent in the CAP forums during Mollux, Aurumoth, and Malaconda. My interest for CAP temporarily dropped off before Cawmodore started due to the release of XY, but the release of XY is what prompted me to make my account and occasionally share my thoughts on the new OU metagame. The first couple months of my actual membership on Smogon were spent in the OverUsed forum, posting my thoughts in places like the viability rankings and the occasional tiering and suspect threads. I lurked places like C&C and whatever policy threads I had access to at the time to try and further my knowledge of the metagame. I also dabbled in Other Metagames for a short time, discussing and occasionally playing the original metagames, even authoring one of my own, but when I lost interest in OU and Other Metas, and when the hype for the new games dwindled and OU settled down, I remembered what attracted me to Smogon in the first place: CAP. This settling down fell in perfectly with the beginning of CAP 18, where I found a place in which I could share my thoughts and actually make significant contributions.

I, like many others, decided to jump right in and submit a concept like the front page had suggested. Through the course of CAP 18, I discussed on the forums, and on #cap, and was sure to make my opinions known. I posted my thoughts in many of the threads, and voted in nearly every poll. I also submitted a stat spread and a movepool, the latter of which got slated and ended up coming second in the polls, an accomplishment that I received a fair amount of praise for. My participation had to drop off soon after that because I lost my only way of conveniently accessing the internet after that which caused me to miss the bulk of the playtest and the entire CAP 18 Pre-evo project. But the competitive discussion is where I found myself most at home, and being fairly comfortable with my understanding of the CAP process after the completion of Volkraken, I applied for a position on the Topic Leadership Team for CAP 19. While many voiced their support for me, in the end, the polls showed that I was not ready for such a role. However, it has recently been made very clear that my contributions have not gone unnoticed, having been awarded a Pre-Contributor badge for my contributions to the previous CAP. I want to participate in the PRC because I have a desire to contribute and be part of the leadership for CAP. I know I'm a newer contributor, but I have proven myself to be a healthy contributor to CAP, and I want to do as much as I can for the project.

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey hey, my name is Tadasuke

I've been putting off applying for PRC since I've been busy with work, but I figured with some breathing room, I could finally pull it off. I'm going to keep my application short, sweet, and to the point. Ever since the State of the CAP Metagame thread was posted, there has been an extremely clear divide amongst CAP members. We're split into two major sections with very similar problems, but differing ideals; those two parties being members mostly active on IRC and the forums, and those dedicating most of their time towards furthering the CAP Metagame on Pokemon Showdown!. I'm coming here to give a perspective from the latter of the two sides. The CAP Metagame has recently gotten its own subforum, which has inspired me to become more and more active on the forums, contributing a very viable sample team as well as an updated viability ranking thread. My credibility as a voice of the CAP community comes largely in part from my activity on the PS! room, where I've been active for many months, as well as being a Room Driver.

All in all, I'd like to bring more of a perspective from CAP Metagame to the Policy Review Committee. I look forward to working with all of you.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi, i would like to apply for the CAP PRC. Here are my qualifications:
  • Have participated in 4 whole CAPs, including this one
  • Movepool leader for the current CAP
  • Submitted two concepts that were really popular, even though they didn't get slated
  • Multiple stat spread submissions, one of which won
  • Good OU knowledge, i'm a mod there, play on the ladder frequently, run the viability ranking thread, write analyses, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)