Battle Spot BSD: The Darkness Core

The Darkness Core

Greetings. It's been a while since I posted an RMT, and this time around I decided to do a Battle Spot Doubles team. I've spent many hours testing and playing so I believe it's time to get other people's input on my team. Without further ado, here is the team.

Goal
When making the team, I wanted something that could support Mega-Gardevoir in a sort of balanced way. While there are many Pokemon that can overpower Gardevoir, she is still a powerful threat that shouldn't be taken lightly. I then remembered the old Fantasy core from back in VGC 2014, which consists of a Fairy, Dragon, and Steel Pokemon core. Gardevoir happened to fit in the core quite nicely at the time and I still think she can still do so today despite the presence of Tapu Lele.

The Team

@ Gardevoirite
Ability: Telepathy--->Pixilate
EVs: 236 HP / 148 Def / 4 SpA / 100 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
Psychic
Protect
Icy Wind
Hyper Voice

The mega of choice as well as the first member of the Fantasy Core. Many players tend to go for Tapu Lele due to its better ability and not being item restricted. However, Gardevoir does have some niches over the Guardian. Higher Special Attack, less reliance of terrain, and a large range of support options makes M-Gardevoir a great Pokemon to use. The EV spread was taken by ShadowTex of the VGC chat on Showdown (used with permission), which grants Mega Gardevoir a massive amount of bulk while, thanks to its high base SpA, still retaining a good chunk of power. Psychic and Hyper Voice are stables on Mega-Gardevoir, with Icy Wind rounding off the set to help provide speed control for itself and the rest of the team. This came about after continuous testing between it, Trick Room, and Will-O-Wisp. M-Gardevoir is always left in the back so it plays the late-game sweeper, though sometimes I don't bring her in at all.

@ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
Dark Pulse
Protect
Flamethrower
Draco Meteor

The second member of the Fantasy core. Despite its x4 Weakness to Fairies as well as other weaknesses, Hydreigon is a monstrous Special Attacker thanks to having a large variety of attacks at its disposal. The EV spread is self-explanatory to give Hydreigon maximum power and Speed with a Modest nature and Life Orb further boosting its power. Dark Pulse and Draco Meteor act as powerful STABs while Flamethrower provides an answer against Steel-types like Celesteela and Ferrothorn.

@ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 188 HP / 4 Def / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
Shadow Ball
Flash Cannon
Wide Guard
King's Shield

The final member of the Fantasy core, I picked Aegislash as an answer to popular Megas like M-Kangaskhan, M-Salamence, etc, Trick Room teams, and its access to Wide Guard to provide protection against spread moves. The EVs were made to have Aegislash possess more power and speed. As suggested by Jhon , this allows Aegislash to outspeed Mega Metagross and have enough power to OHKO with Never-Ending Nightmare. It also prevents having to deal with mirror matches against opposing Aegislash.

@ Aguav Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 244 HP / 148 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
Scald
Icy Wind
Helping Hand
Protect

A suggestion by Jhon ,Politoed was added for both support and weather control as Sand and Sun make it difficult for this team to match up well against the opposing team. Icy Wind, like on Gardevoir, is used for Speed control while Helping Hand provides a powerful boost to attack power for the Mega as well as Aegislash and Hydreigon. Scald provides a reliable STAB thanks to its high Burn chance unless Misty Terrain is out.

@ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 4 SpA / 148 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
Thunderbolt
Detect
Tailwind
Hidden Power [Ice]

With Thunderus-I losing its ground with the prominent Lele and Fini users Zapdos gained the chance to shine once again, and I aimed to take advantage of it. The moveset is more or less standard as Zapdos' primary role is to setup Tailwind and allow its teammates to sweep. EV wise, 60 EVs in speed allows Zapdos to outrun Heatran at 252, which it can proceed to strike with STAB Thunderbolts while HP Ice provides coverage against Ground types such as Garchomp. Bulk wise, I opted for a specially defensive variant as the EVs allow it to survive a Gigabolt Havoc from Timid Tapu Koko under Electric Terrain 9/10. To be precise:

252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 148 SpD Zapdos in Electric Terrain: 169-199 (85.7 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

While having a Calm nature would prevent any chance of a OHKO, I went with Modest to give Zapdos a little more firepower. It is also the only nature I have at my disposal with its HA Static, which makes attacking with contact moves risky.

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 212 Atk / 12 Def / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
Rock Slide
Earthquake
U-turn
Superpower

The final member of the team, I went with Landorus-T because a lot of the team appreciate his presence as well as the Intimidate support. The defensive EVs give Landorus enough bulk to survive a Double-Edge from M-Salamence. Choice Scarf was chosen over Assault Vest to give Landorus more speed, although because of the lower Speed it loses to faster Landorus which can proceed to spam Rock Slide it for the flinch chance.

Well that's the team. Please provide comments and critique so that I can make improvements (if any are needed). Credit to Jhon for providing wonderful advice on the team.​

Last edited:
I really like the team, however, I would suggest adding a Pursuit trapper onto the team, perhaps Tyranitar over Terrakion or Muk-Alola over Hydregion. When running Mega Gardevoir, it is necessary to run a Pursuit trapper for the common encounter of Mega Gengar. I would also suggest Shadow Sneak over Wide Gaurd on Aigeslash, but that's more of a personal preference.

I really like the team, however, I would suggest adding a Pursuit trapper onto the team, perhaps Tyranitar over Terrakion or Muk-Alola over Hydregion. When running Mega Gardevoir, it is necessary to run a Pursuit trapper for the common encounter of Mega Gengar. I would also suggest Shadow Sneak over Wide Gaurd on Aigeslash, but that's more of a personal preference.
This sounds more like Singles advice for a Doubles team. That could just be me though.

Starting with the Gardevoir. It took me a little while to work out what the spread did, it survives rain boosted z-Hydro Pump from Ludicolo: 252+ SpA Ludicolo Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 236 HP / 100 SpD Mega Gardevoir in Rain: 145-172 (83.8 - 99.4%)
And Jolly Double-Edge from M-Kang: 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 236 HP / 148 Def Mega Gardevoir: 145-172 (83.8 - 99.4%)
Quite nice benchmarks. A spread I may find myself using.

Aegislash, I think can benefit from having a bit of speed invested, say reaching a stat of 90, to outspeed M-Metagross while supported by Tailwind. The extra speed will also help in the ever uncomfortable Aegislash mirror. As nice as the physdef can be I think investing into SpA will allow z-Shadow Ball to pick up some more crucial KOs.
The loss in defense can be partially made up for by swapping Terrakion for a Landorus-T, the Intimidate will help tremendously. Gardevoir, Zapdos and Hydreigon also enjoy Landorus-T's presence on the team. Either Choice Scarf or Assault Vest look to fit in nicely.

Tapu Fini is a mon which just feels like it doesn't fit too well, to me. The current set doesn't exert enough offensive pressure, or enable other members to do so, to fit the style of team. You mention using it for Terrain Control against Tapu koko, with a Choice Scarf Landorus-T on the team Koko is a little less threatening so you may afford to switch this for a different water type. It might sound odd, but I think Politoed might be able to fit in here, it'd help against both Charizard-Y and Excadrill Sand teams by giving you a means to control the weather. Alternatively, if sticking with Fini is much prefered, then I'd recommend using a Choice Specs set. You have the speed control available to enable it. With Landorus-T, Fini's bulk is still quite tremendous even without heavy investment.

In summary

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
Level: 50
EVs: 188 HP / 4 Def / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

->

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 212 Atk / 12 Def / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower

This spread allows it to survive a M-Salamence Double-Edge (at neutral attack).
As mentioned, Assault Vest is viable (with same moves and Evs), but I think Scarf should be the prefference here.

-> Specs (or
)
Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Def / 196 SpA / 4 SpD / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Muddy Water
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Haze

HP Fire can act as an emergency check to Ferrothorn.
HP is a 16n-1 value, to reduce sand/hail damage by 1. Speed is 114, which allows it to outspeed Adamant 252 Tyranitar, everything up to Nihilego after an Icy Wind and comfortable be faster than Adamant Scarf Landorus while you have Tailwind.

Politoed @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 244 HP / 148 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Other support options Politoed can utilise include: Haze, Perish Song and Encore.
This spread allows Politoed to ohko 4/0 Landorus-T with Scald (in rain). it also survives Tectonic Rage (180bp, based on EQ) from Excadrill without the need for intimidate, important since this would be used against sand.
And it's Aguav Berry 'cause the colour matches up so well with Politoed, sorry but Zapdos will have to use Iapapa or another one.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)