Project Break This Team (Week 42)

Core 3

This team really does not like playing from behind, and a VoltTurn core with a member that happens to outrun and threaten most of the team with just its STABs is a huge issue. Landorus-T is nice on paper, but if Beedrill can Knock Off Lando's helmet and clear the rocks once, mashing U-Turn is super difficult to answer since you can never really pressure Beedrill after that, and its really easy to predict Lando switch ins for the most part since most of the team can't afford to be taking U-Turns for no reason.

Hi, it's time to close voting again and the winner for this week is Akumeoy with his Mega Beedrill + Rotom-W core. Congratulations to him.

Core 1- 1 vote
Core 3 - 6 votes

Meanwhile, we have a new team to break this week. It is Tele 's Anti-Hazard Stall which has 2 Defog users and uses Dugtrio to get rid of threats like Banded Tyranitar.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Toxic

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Screech
- Stealth Rock

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 SpD
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 172 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

This type of stall was used by players like Tele and Get This Money during the OLT, with Dugtrio being useful to trap otherwise threatening Pokemon like Heatran and CB Tar. Zapdos and Skarmory are both used to get rid of hazards, which is important when you are using Focus Sash Dugtrio. Not much to say about this team except it is very hard to break. You can see it in action in the replays below. Lack of Chansey might hurt it in terms of fighting Special sweepers but that's the only glaring issue I can see.

Last edited:

3d

継続は力なり
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

This team is well known for terrible MU against zard-y, and for good reason. Zard-Y can come in on sableye, suicune, and skarm and fire off a fire blast pretty much getting a kill every time it comes in. The only real answers this thing has for zard-y is zapdos, and dugtrio. Zapdos can either get pursuited by weavile almost putting it in range of zard-ys fire blat or die to icicle crash if it chooses to stay in. The reason I'm using weavile instead of tyranitar, is because weavile outpaces duggy and can potentially flinch, or ohko if hazards are up. If hazards somehow manage to getup pursuit OHKOs if they choose to switch leaving zard-y to win the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Earth Power / Roost

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

So, Iron Head Kyub's purpose is click moves and get KOs. A physically offensive spread is best for beating up Crocune and maximizing damage output versus Mega Sableye.
252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Skarmory: 281-333 (84.1 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 250-296 (61.8 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 36 Def Mega Sableye: 153-181 (50.4 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Mega Sableye: 122-144 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Clefable: 294-346 (74.6 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Zapdos: 244-291 (63.7 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

----

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 118-141 (30.1 - 36%) -- 44.2% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Dugtrio Rock Tomb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 96-114 (24.5 - 29.1%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO

Basically, every time Kyurem-Black clicks a move, either something loses a lot of HP or a switch-in loses a chunk for no gain. Pretty straightforward. But the problem is, Kyurem-B doesn't like switching into a lot of this team's moves, and Dugtrio will cause a lot of pain before it goes out. A Life Orb set would only get a few moves off, and that's before taking account of various status ailments.

That's where Jirachi comes in: it baits a switch to one of the team's Iron Head switch-ins so it can U-Turn out to Kyub, then gets off a Healing Wish pretty easily so KyuB can go in for a second round of mayhem. I doubt I need to tell you how much Kyurem-Black likes Jirachi's support in other situations, but ultimately this team just cannot take two rounds of raw KyuB rampage, and that's what Jirachi enables.

Last edited:
specs kyurem + breloom

Kyurem-W 's shit copy + Mushroom Tip Man

Specs Kyurem can just click Ice Beam on 5/6 and 2HKO everything. Only thing you have to Draco is Suicune and it does a ton so it cant eat it up so easily

252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 282-333 (69.8 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery 2 decent rolls and it dies

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire

Breloom makes it easier for Kyurem to spam Ice Beam by eliminating the only resist, can Spore something to get Kyurem a free switch and do work itself, and just annoy the team in general. Just play smart (as in dont eat status / Knock Off / hazards) and you'll be fine.

Breloom @ Life Orb / Fist Plate

Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance / Rock Tomb / Focus Punch

Last edited:
Reserving Life Orb Thundurus-Therian and Taunt Wallbreaker Mega Gardevoir. To be honest, all that's needed alongside Thundurus-T is a mon to force out Sableye and isn't OHKO'd by Dugtrio.
Will do the write up after work.

I'm actually the guy that built the team btw :p

Edit

Thundurus-T mauls this team because it 1-2HKOs everything and has several Pokemon it can safely switch into.
Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Agility / Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast / Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Nasty Plot should be used against this team in particular because it allows him to prevent Zapdos from stalling out Life Orb with Roost.

Clefable is a safe switch into Sableye that can also set up Stealth Rock. Setting that up is important, because they are going to need to remove it which forces either Zapdos or Skarmory into play, both of which Thundurus-T can safely switch into.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

My write up was originally much longer, but I got disconnected and lost everything. I'm so salty right now.

Anyway, I decided to go with Clefable over Mega Gardevoir, because you can just imagine these two being on an actual team and having it work. I didn't want to suggest something that'd be a counter team, but would lose to the rest of the meta. If you want to go that route then, yeah, there's a lot you can do to cement this as a 6-0, but as it stands this is already won if we assume the rest of the team is built competently. My first time posting in this thread iirc if you couldn't already tell.

Last edited:

Breezy

formerly Quaze
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
reserving mgyara + cube

Taunt MGyarados + Choise specsed Thundurus- Therian

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast

MGyarados's trait allows him to taunt MSableye and ignore sturdy and unaware. At +3 can destroy alone that entire team. The one real check is Suicune wich can take some hits and eventually scald burn. So I thought to add Thundy-Therian as his partner, since I noticed that his electric resist is dugtrio. He's typing allows him to not get trapped and volt absorb to switch in on Zapdos. Once duggy is dead you litteraly click tbolt 6 times and win.​

Last edited:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock / whatever you like

So basically the team is incredibly weak to Electric types which Dugtrio can't trap. Rotom-W just wears down M-Sableye, Clefable, and Zapdos with prediction-free Volt Switches. Mamoswine comes in and forces them out, preventing them from healing, and is another major threat in its own right. Specially defensive Skarm is potentially 2HKO'd by Icicle Crash even without Rocks or flinches, and since Suicune lacks Sleep Talk, you can just force it to Rest and go for the 3HKO with Earthquake (or if you get played around, Volt Switch and try again).

Rotom-W and Mamoswine are also a good pair in general, with Mamo pressuring Lati and Grasses, while Rotom pressures Waters and Steels. Fast Rotom-W because it's a good set, and it lets you outspeed and Wisp offensive M-Scizor, M-Heracross etc for Mamoswine (Wisp is also nice for wearing down generic stuff like Ferrothorn). Mamoswine has Stealth Rock in the last spot just to make this match-up even easier, but it's not really necessary.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rain Dance
- Rest

The only counterplay this team has against Zard-Y is to try and Toxic it and then Stall using Fake Out and Protect. Enter Manaphy, who doesn't care about status and can overwhelm the team if Suicune and Clefable are out of the way. Fortunately, both of these Pokemon are free invitations for Zard-Y to come in and wreck havoc.

An example of this core in use is in Bluwing's Triple Weather Offense featured previously in this thread. Due to shortage of time, I'm not able to grab replays but you can test it out against this team and find out how favourably this core matches-up against the team.

Last edited:
Ok everyone time for the voting phase to begin. I apoligize for being late to seet this up. I was travelling in an area with what you would call Shoddy Internet and thus struggled to stay on for a deecent period. Anyway lets sum up and begin

Core 1 - Zard Y + Weavile
Core 2 - Kyurem Black + Jirachi
Core 3 - Kyurem + Breloom
Core 4 - Thundourous T + Clefable
Core 5 - Mega Gyarados + Thundourous T
Core 6 - Zard Y + Manaphy

Since we have 6 cores this week Everyone will get 2 votes, No voting for your own core otherwise I'll make you face Goth Stall with triple T-wave users as punishment or worse my Diancie double fairy also sporting multiple T-wave users. Goodluck everyone and may thee best core win

Core 1 - Zard-Y is a nuisance to the team as I mentioned in my post previously. Weavile's presence also forces stuff like Clefable, Suicune and Skarmory to come in, allowing Zard-Y to wreck havoc.

Voting will end shortly so if you have yet to do it nows the last chance. Otherwise forever hold your peace

Just a note that since ORAS is coming to an end we'll probably round out this generation by taking apart my personal favourite team for abit of fun (No it does not feature diancie as much as I may like her).

Voting is over and we have a Winner. Congrats to Amoonguss for winning with his Zard Y + Weavile core with a grand total of 5 votes. Count was close but he just edged out the others. Thanks to everyone who voted this week

[Hide
Vote Count
Core 1 - 5
Core 2 - 0
Core 3 - 4
Core 4 - 2
Core 5 - 1
Core 6 - 4
[/Hide]

Its happening everyone, Oras is drawing to a close with Sun and Moon around the Corner, People are prepping Mons for transfers when it hits and Mega Sableye Finally getting a suspect. That leave's us here so to round out the generation I figured I would post the team that has served me so well since Oras began minus 1 Change due to a suspect. Thats right My Lopunny Goon Squad with T-wave spam is finally up to be broken so I hope all of you come up with nice ways to humiliate me.

The Team

Sets
Playgirl of Demise (Lopunny) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute
- Fake Out

CoCs Lovechild (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Ghost of Ending (Gengar) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Water of Envy (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Pestilance (Scizor) @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Superpower

The beginning (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Explanation: The Team was built built during the Early days of ORAS specifically with greninja, Landourous and the highly offensive metagame of the time in mind. T-wave Clefable had only just started to emerge at that point and wanting to ensure gren got crippled rather then using janky techs I made my clef Bold to take less dmg from gunk shot and adopted the set as my own. That rest is history. Since then the team has had just 1 change Switching the banned goth for gengar turning it into a lopunny goon squad effectively as well as making OU room finals and doing decently on the ladder.

The team is built entirely around Clefable, bring her in as much as possible and ensuring she gets the chance to sweep with Calm mind because there's nothing funnier then using tran as set up bait. To this end the team employs 2 t-wavers and mega Lopunny to mitigate speed issue's presented when facing offence teams and Gengar to break stall which rounds out the core. Lopunny runs Sub instead of coverage to make beating Bisharp and bulky status users easier handle While gengar runs specs to beat Gliscor with shadow ball as well as have access to trick. both are capable of cleaning when clef fails to. From there its all about making the cores life easier. To this end Garchomp is taken as a rocker to not only punish physical steels and prioty but to toxic bulky grounds that would otherwise laugh off T-wave. Scizor and Rotom form a Volt/Turn Group scouting out the enemy movesets while safely bring in 1 of the 3 core members to wreck havoc.

Replays

Thats My team Everyone and I hope you all have fun. I hope I see a replay or 2 this week ROFL but Im not thused either way. Enjoy

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Kyurem-Black+Landorus-Therian!
+
This core is very simple. Kyurem-B 2hkos every mon on that team it can't ohko as long as it gets those safe switch-ins, that's why we have Lando who both gives slow u-turns for Kyurem and keeps Lop and Scizor checked and wears them down with the helmet. Since Clef is phys Def it can't eat 2 Ice Beams from Kyurem-B and retaliate with TWave so theres pretty much no safe switchin for this monster. This set has HP Fire to lure in scizor. Roost>Fusion Bolt works nicely for this team but I guess I should keep the set standard. Almost forgot Lando provides rocks which punishes switches and puts Rotom in range of epower.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 27 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Last edited:

Breezy

formerly Quaze
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Scarfed Excadrill + Defensive Landorus- Therian

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly/ Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

This team has no safe excadrill switch in, clef doesn't take Iron Head at all, Mpunny takes a solid 70-80% from earthquake (It touches landorus one time and gets in range :]), and the rest of the mons, except of garchomp (which is a 3hko) that is walled by land, gets 2hkoed.
Lando supports excadrill really well since rocks and rocky helmet damage put the majority of the team in range of and eventual eq sweep.
Excadrill gira...

Last edited:
Scizor @ Scizorite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Soft-Boiled
After rocks, a +2 STAB from offensive Mega Scizor will (usually) OHKO Mega Lopunny, Gengar, Rotom-W, and Clefable before they can move (excepting Mega Lop's Fake Out but lmao). The opposing banded Scizor deals 25.2% max with its BP and gets one-shotted by +2 Superpower. The only actual counterplay this team has is Tankchomp, which doesn't even have Fire Blast.

This team doesn't like Clefable either -- everything is either annoyed by Knock Off (Gengar and Scizor hate it), threatened with a Moonblast KO, has rocks set up on them, or some combination of the three -- plus it checks or counters half the team outright. It sets up Mega Scizor's sweep by reliably switching in on Garchomp and setting up mandatory rocks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)