SM Ubers Blitzkrieg Ubers HO (1622 ELO/86 GXE currently)

Do you think 252+ Speed has a place in Ubers HO?

• Total voters
Hello everyone! Welcome to my RMT! I've always loved hyper offense; the idea of overwhelming your opponent with sheer power and speed has always appealed to me. HO is arguably the best style on the ladder right now, and for good reason: shorter games means less chances for hax to screw you over, as well as quicker laddering.

This team uses standard Ubers Pokemon, which may lead one to believe that the EVs are standard as well. That could not be farther from the truth! In particular, while the Ubers metagame prefers bulkier EV spreads, all Pokemon on this team are optimized to go as fast and hit as hard as possible. This may not be the "theoretically sound" choice, but knowing that you will almost certainly move first, or, in the very rare worst case scenario, at least speed tie, greatly simplifies decision making. You don't have to guess the opponent's set most of the time! Investing 252+ into speed, for me at least, is a good practical choice, even though I concede that it may not be the best option in theory. So don't flame me for not using the bulky standard set that everyone else uses, okay? In any case, my aggressive playstyle forces me to run more aggressive EV spreads. It's not like I had much of a choice or anything...

ubers 1600.png

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psycho Boost
- Knock Off
- Extreme Speed

Most Deo-A on the ladder are all-out-attacking sets with Life Orb, or perhaps a Focus Sash. This Deo-A is a suicide lead. If I do not see imminent danger in Team Preview (e.g. Mega Kangaskhan, Counterleading Deo-A), I will almost always lead my own Deo-A. This Deoxys is similar to the Sash AoA set, with a slight modification: one of the attacks is swapped out for Stealth Rock. The other three moves are pretty standard: strong Psycho Boost STAB, Knock Off for Necrozma as well as for general item removal (getting rid of Scarf/Herb on anyone foolish enough to lead their Xerneas), and ESpeed priority. One may argue that Deo-S does a better job of leading, but Deo-S is simply too passive and one dimensional for my tastes.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 228 Atk / 28 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Primal Groudon is the undisputed King of Ubers, and is splashed on almost every team. Since this is a HO team, I decided to choose an aggressive Double Dance set, with slight modifications. I prefer Earthquake to Precipice Blades since missing absolutely sucks, and I have enough power after a SD in any case. Stone Edge simply rounds out the classic EdgeQuake combo, hitting annoying flyers such as Ho-Oh and Yveltal for high damage. Note the EVs: I invested a little bit of SpDef for Xerneas, and the rest goes into Atk and Speed. I prefer max speed to simplify decision making, but I do concede that other EV spreads may work just as well, or even better, depending on the user's playstyle.

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Marshadow serves two roles: a powerful LO attacker with unresisted STABs, and an emergency priority check to dangerous but weakened sweepers. This set is the one set on my team that matches the standard set to the tee. There is not much more to mention. HP Ice hits Mega Salamence and more importantly, Zygarde-C, which this team may struggle with.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

This may look like a standard GeoXern set, but after examining the EVs, you might think that I was drunk when I made my team. After all, who the hell runs 252 EV TIMID Xerneas? This set is probably not optimal in theory, but in practice reduces the number of uncomfortable spots one may encounter. For one, this spread still enables a sweep against Sticky Web teams, which are extremely annoying for this team to face. Also, the extra speed is very useful in the many circumstances when Xerneas is unable to set up Geomancy. A 252 SpAtk 252+ Speed Xerneas is still a powerful offensive unit, mostly thanks to its high speed tier. This makes Xerneas far more effective against teams that are prepared for GeoXern. Finally, this EV spread allow me to win GeoXern vs GeoXern situations, which are more common than one may think, especially when playing HO. The moves are pretty standard except Thunderbolt>Thunder since hax absolutely sucks. It is unfortunate that I had to run Focus Blast, but there is no better alternative available.

Yveltal @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Foul Play
- Oblivion Wing
- U-turn

This is the usual scarf Yveltal set, but with a Timid nature over a Modest nature. It's purpose is pretty usual for a scarfer: check sweepers and clean late game. I prefer a Timid nature for 2 reasons, the first of which is that base 99 scarfers such as Xerneas and other Yveltal are very common, and it is important to avoid the speed tie here (hax is horrible, remember). The second reason is that I can sometimes find myself outspeeding low speed EV +2 sweepers with my scarf Yveltal, which saved my ass more than once.

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Solganium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake

If Primal Groudon is the King of Ubers, Necrozma-D is most certainly the "Prince." It has a good typing that provides a second check to GeoXern, as well as well-rounded stats. Again, I chose a Double Dance set, with standard moves but nonstandard EVs. A Jolly nature over a Adamant nature helps me get the jump on other Necrozma-D, as well as some slower Primal Groudons that have been weakened. The moves themselves are pretty standard, and I run Z move to surprise bulky Pokemon such as Arceus, Zygarde, etc.

Hey Nimzowitsch,

I like your team and the rmt alot.

For new players the +252 in speed for every pokemon seems a good idea for the first try of using custom sets.

It really takes a long time to test for different EV spreads on https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

So your approach is a good way to start thinking about this.
When you try to improve the standard sets most of your calcs will not result in an improvement and the motivation is gone

Keep up the great work

best regards

L3mN

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)