SPOILERS! Blacephalon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Blacephalon
Type: Fire / Ghost
Ability: Beast Boost / Beast Boost (HA)
Base Stats: 53/127/053/151/079/107 (BST: 570)

1 - Ember
1 - Astonish
7 - Magic Coat
13 - Stored Power
17 - Flame Burst
23 - Night Shade
29 - Light Screen
31 - Calm Mind
37 - Fire Blast
41 - Shadow Ball
47 - Trick
59 - Mind Blown

TM03 Psyshock
TM04 Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM23 Smack Down
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM35 Flamethrower
TM38 Fire Blast
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM43 Flame Charge
TM44 Rest
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat
TM56 Fling
TM60 Quash
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM64 Explosion
TM65 Shadow Claw
TM66 Payback
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM97 Dark Pulse
TM100 Confide

Uproar
Foul Play
Last Resort
Snore
Knock Off
Heat Wave
Pain Split
Spite
After You
Trick
Recycle

Notes
  • Mind Blown: The user attacks everything around it by causing its own head to explode. This also damages the user. Fire / Special / 150 Power / 100% Accuracy / 5 PP.
  • Mind Blow rounds UP so running an odd HP will not let you use the move three times without recovering Blacephalon's HP.

Last edited:
Choice Specs Mind Blown from this thing hits harder than freaking Mega Charizard Y sun-boosted Fire Blast

I can see either a Specs set OR Z-Mind Blown followed by Mind Blown for 2 absolute nukes

Calm Mind set is decent too

Basically makes Chandelure irrelevant and gives Zard Y serious competition

I could very well see this guy lurking around with a choice specs set, similar to what chandelure is curently using in OU. Given the lack of good ghost and Fire resist in the tier, it could even be used with a scarf set, as a revenge killer/ cleaner

edit: snipped

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Really unfortunate that this thing doesn't get good coverage. Although its Special Attack is amazing and Speed is fine, it's really weak to TTar (even if it burns it) and hazards. It also gets Psychic, which could be nice.

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Trick / Psychic

I think both Mind Blown and Fire Blast are necessary, because you need to be able to revenge something and Fire Blast might not be enough to take it out, but you also want the ability to fire off more than a couple attacks without killing yourself, especially since you'll be gaining Special Attack as you sweep. Unfortunately, this set is especially destroyed by TTar.

Blacephalon @ Firium-Z/Ghostium-Z
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast / Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Mind Blown / Will-o-Wisp / something

Another obvious set is to become a Z-move wallbreaker. Z-Fire Blast is actually only 15 power weaker than Z-Mind Blown, which does make a difference but Z-Mind Blown isn't as strong as you'd think.

Blacephalon @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off

Its Attack is quite nice, so Knock Off does respectable damage and cripples Chansey and Pex, which deal with the first two sets well.

Overall I'd guess that Scarf would be its best set at the moment. A couple of faster Scarfers can revenge it but I think it has nice revenge killing and cleaning potential.

Last edited:
Really unfortunate that this thing doesn't get good coverage. Although its Special Attack is amazing and Speed is fine, it's really weak to TTar (even if it burns it) and hazards. It also gets Psychic, which could be nice. HP Fighting might be an option but that'd really only be for TTar, so it might not be worth the slot.

Timid Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Trick / Psychic

I think both Mind Blown and Fire Blast are necessary, because you need to be able to revenge something and Fire Blast might not be enough to take it out, but you also want the ability to fire off more than a couple attacks without killing yourself, especially since you'll be gaining Special Attack as you sweep. Unfortunately, this set is especially destroyed by TTar.

Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

Another obvious set is to become a Z-move wallbreaker. Z-Fire Blast is actually only 15 power weaker than Z-Mind Blown, which does make a difference but Z-Mind Blown isn't as strong as you'd think.

Blacephalon @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off

Its Attack is quite nice, so Knock Off does respectable damage and cripples Chansey and Pex, which deal with the first two sets well.

Overall I'd guess that Scarf would be its best set at the moment. A couple of faster Scarfers can revenge it but I think it has nice revenge killing and cleaning potential.
it might actually be able to learn Focus Blast with the TM's, and therefore have some sort of good coverage along psychic fire blast and shadow ball

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Really unfortunate that this thing doesn't get good coverage. Although its Special Attack is amazing and Speed is fine, it's really weak to TTar (even if it burns it) and hazards. It also gets Psychic, which could be nice. HP Fighting might be an option but that'd really only be for TTar, so it might not be worth the slot.

Timid Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Trick / Psychic

Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

Blacephalon @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off

no, it might get good coverage via TMs. We have to wait and see. Who knows, it might get Tbolt, and that'd be nice. shame it has such a poor physical movepool though.

This thing is just straight up dumb lol

252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Mind Blown vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 261-307 (37.1 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 199-235 (28.3 - 33.4%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

I know it obviously won't be getting 3 Mind Blowns off on anything, but this should demonstrate the sheer power we're dealing with. It also has some fun tech to use in Trick and Foul Play, plus an actual good Attack Stat for shit like Knock Off and... well Knock Off.

It does get Smack Down, which...

0 Atk Blacephalon Smack Down vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 252-300 (81 - 96.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

It's something.

oh.
man it looks like this thing really is gonna suck. it's a shame.
Should still be able to run a decent Specs set in OU. Sure, Tyranitar is annoying, but that doesn't change the fact of how dumb strong Specs Mind Blown is and how dumb strong this thing is in general with Specs.

And if you really want, Smack Down will put Volc in the range of pretty much any priority/hazards. So a Scarf Set isn't out of the question either.

This thing gets Psyshock to get by special walls. Hard to think of what can actually wall it besides Tyranitar.

Comparing Mega Charizard Y’s sun calcs to Mind Blown made me think you could buff this guy even further with sun. I know it doesn’t set it up directly like Charizard does, but is there some reason the OU meta would be hostile to setting sun up?

If you’re running a specs or scarf set (or any non-Leftovers set really) and can keep hazards away, I can see this guy really benefitting from Grassy Terrain too. You could then fire off Mind Blown 3 times instead of 2 before KOing yourself.

Comparing Mega Charizard Y’s sun calcs to Mind Blown made me think you could buff this guy even further with sun. I know it doesn’t set it up directly like Charizard does, but is there some reason the OU meta would be hostile to setting sun up?

If you’re running a specs or scarf set (or any non-Leftovers set really) and can keep hazards away, I can see this guy really benefitting from Grassy Terrain too. You could then fire off Mind Blown 3 times instead of 2 before KOing yourself.
I see what you mean.

But as far as sun in OU goes, it's not considered a viable playstyle. Even with this thing's insane power under the sun, I don't think that's likely to change.

Yeah... this thing is going to need some serious support. Tyrannitar can just swap in on a Mind Blown or almost anything that isn't WoW, and cripple it with Pursuit. Really, this thing may hit like a nuke, but.... I just don't see it prospering in OU.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Yeah... this thing is going to need some serious support. Tyrannitar can just swap in on a Mind Blown or almost anything that isn't WoW, and cripple it with Pursuit. Really, this thing may hit like a nuke, but.... I just don't see it prospering in OU.
I feel that's a bit short-sighted. Yes, it is hard stopped by TTar, but it can be preserved for late game or fight a team that doesn't have TTar (and it doesn't have lando-level usage by any means). When you have a 101+ speed special mon that can 2HKO a Chansey after some hazards and only has a single counter as far as we know, it's not gonna go to BL. And this is in a Duggy-less meta.

Wait it's stopped by AV Guzzlord nvm

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ctrl+f focus blast

:(

What's even more annoying about this thing is that it doesn't even get HP Fighting due to locked UB IVs, so it's even more TTar food. I'm also really disappointed that Mind Blown isn't even stronger than it is, given how absolutely atrocious its secondary effect is. That being said, it'll probably be a pretty good choice user, Fire Blast/Shadow Ball/Trick/Mind Blown or Knock Off or Flamethrower could be pretty good on both Specs and Scarf. Firum Z with Mind Blown, Fire Blast, Shadow Ball and Calm Mind/Taunt could wallbreak pretty effectively given just how powerful Z Mind Blown is, and the fact that it gets rid of its recoil. It could even take a page out of Chandleure's book and run Sub/Taunt CM with dual STABs and Ghostium Z to break stall completely... stall without TTar, that is.

But yeah, that movepool is atrocious and that's a real shame, it could've easily been OU material with something, anything to hit Dark-types but now, I think it's gonna struggle.

It'll be broken as fuck in UU though lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)