Battle Tree Discussion and Records

HJK OHKO Porygon 2 and Porygon Z, Mienshao, Blaziken, Manetric, Jolteon, Walrein, Lickilicki, Empoleon, Ferrothorn, etc. Fake Out + HJK KO Electivire, Aerodactyl, and Archeops. If you go for Reckless then Fake Out + HJK KO Lanturn, Chople Snorlax, and maybe Garchomp.

Reliable Rock Slide is pretty good. As Snuckem knows, I use Wide Lens on my Terracott team. In this case, Rock Slide provides chip damage so Water Spout can finish the job.

Team Kyogre wannabe was defeated by Male Clerk Bank.

Turn 1: Alexa's Mienshao and Tornadus vs. Bank's Pinsir and Bronzong.
Mienshao used Fake Out on Bronzong.
Tornadus used Tailwind.
Pinsir used Stone Edge on Tornadus. It missed.
Bronzong flinched.

Turn 2:
Tornadus used Taunt on Bronzong
Mienshao used Rock Slide. Pinsir lost 33% health. Bronzong evaded
Pinsir used Stone Edge on Tornadus. Tornadus fainted.
Bronzong used Zen Headbutt on Mienshao, Mienshao fainted.

Turn 3: Alexa sends out Hydreigon and Jellicent.
Bronzong's Quick Claw activated. Bronzong used Zen Headbutt on Jellicent. Jellicent lost 45% HP.
Hydreigon used Dark Pulse on Bronzong, Bronzong lost 55% health. Hydreigon lost 10% HP.
Jellicent consumed a Water Gem and used Water Spout. Pinsir fainted. Bronzong had 5% HP left.

Turn 4: Bank sent out Vanilluxe.
Bronzong's Quick Claw activated. Bronzong used Zen Headbutt on Jellicent. Jellicent lost 45% HP.
Hydreigon used Surf. Jellicent recovered 25% HP. Vanilluxe lost 35% HP. Bronzong fainted. Hydreigon lost 10% HP.
Jellicent used Water Spout. Vanilluxe lost 20% HP.
Vanilluxe used Blizzard. Hydreigon fainted. Jellicent lost 25% HP.

Turn 5: Bank sent out Volcarona.
Volcarona used Bug Buzz on Jellicent. Jellicent fainted.

My team got a 99 win streak.

That Bronzong should really start buying lotteries. Jokes aside, let's look beyond hax and see what I could do better. Maybe if I studied the Subway trainers I would know what set Bronzong was running. Maybe I could have switched Mienshao for Hydreigon in turn 2.

The team lost to incredible hax and some misplay, not because it got a bad matchup. Still, this is time to do some fine tuning. Was Reckless Mienshao obtainable in BW?

Last edited:
Hey guys, question on Scizor moveset.

I have historically been a Bug Bite guy, which works well, but I have lost streaks to bulky normal types and steel types (Magnezone...) before. I was going to give Brick Break another shot.

What is the overall consensus on Brick Break vs Bug Bite in the Tree?

The other Mons on this team are Greninja (Ice Beam, Surf, Dark Pulse, Grass Knot) and Chomp (Z Move, Outrage, EQ, SD, Sub).

Hey guys, question on Scizor moveset.

I have historically been a Bug Bite guy, which works well, but I have lost streaks to bulky normal types and steel types (Magnezone...) before. I was going to give Brick Break another shot.

What is the overall consensus on Brick Break vs Bug Bite in the Tree?

The other Mons on this team are Greninja (Ice Beam, Surf, Dark Pulse, Grass Knot) and Chomp (Z Move, Outrage, EQ, SD, Sub).
I would go for brick break. If Garchomp goes down you have trouble with steel types, and you need a way to hit ferrothorn

Bug Bite gets Technician boost and is a viable alternative to Knock Off for tree. Still hits Ferro neutrally but sadly Bug stab is meh at best.
But if yiu REALLY need the fighting coverage on Scizor, why not just Superpower?

Bug Bite gets Technician boost and is a viable alternative to Knock Off for tree. Still hits Ferro neutrally but sadly Bug stab is meh at best.
But if yiu REALLY need the fighting coverage on Scizor, why not just Superpower?
I was also considering SuperPower, since SD mitigates the drop pretty well

If superpower has 1hko on your spread on magnezone (bar sturdy) and 2hko on ferro , I'd personally go for that. Seeing you run sub, sd and stally sets, I don't think you need the extra utility of breaking the odd screener (if anything they are setup fodder)

Was going to suggest Superpower myself, specifically because of Ferrothorn. You want something that will destroy it before it can get some Curses under its belt, and more hits means more Iron Barbs.

And yeah Bug STAB leaves things to be desired, but I’ve loved Scizor for it when fighting Cresselia and the occasional non-Manectric electric types. With SD and Technician the damage is acceptable. Cresselia can’t do much to Scizor besides stall but that annoys the hell out of me in itself, so I want the quick kill.

Bug is unresisted by a few important types that resist Steel, namely Water and Electric, so I tend to prefer dual STAB for him (of course this isn’t taking the rest of venom’s team into consideration.)

1515453739073.png

My SazaJelly ream finally passed the 100 benchmark. Right now my streak is 112 and still counting. I am happy with all of my team's Abilities, moveset, and EV. That said, if you want to modify my team, here's some recommendations.

Mienshao: Fake Out and HJK are always recommended. You can choose Detect or Wide Guard for the last 2 moves. Regenerator can be useful for surviving more priority moves and Reckless picks up more KO. Life Orb or Focus Sash can be used of you are the bold type unlike me. EV and Nature should not be changed.

Tornadus: Tailwind, Taunt, and Acrobatic are a must. Defiant can be used but you would need to replace Mienshao with Weavile. Rain Dance can be replaced with either Grass Knot or your Hidden Power of choice. EV should not be changed, but Hasty or Naive Natures can be used.

Hydreigon: You will need Dark Pulse and a Dragon STAB. Draco Meteor can be used to replace Dragon Pulse, but I rarely find the need to. Surf is recommended, but not essential. Flamethrower or Focus Blast can replace either Protect or Surf. You can sacrifice some SpA or HP to get 252 Speed, speed ties with Close Combat Sawk. Modest with Life Orb is recommended because it can OHKO key targets such as Slowbro. If you want to run Timid, then you should pack a Dark Gem instead.

Jellicent: Gem-boosted Water Spout is the main draw of this Pokemon, and this team in general. Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, and Protect round out the last 3 moves nicely. You can replace Ice Beam with Scald but I never felt the need to. Timid can help you outrun Dragon Dance Haxorus and Scarf Pinsir/Terrakion/Staraptor/etc. However, the drop in power is a big drawback, and you still get outsped by Scarf Manetric. You can shift a few Speed EV into bulk but that won't change much.

Last edited:
Wow. Pheromosa + Tapu Lele is amazing. As a newbie, breezed past level 50. Don't even have the defensive IV's yet!
Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Lunge
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Standard bait bug. Nothing to see here.

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Substitute
- Protect

Standard Psychium Z set. Also nothing to see here. Choice Scarf set was not an option, because I wanted to run Scarf Xurkitree.

Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- Dazzling Gleam

Xurkitree pretending to be Choice Specs Tapu Koko here. Faster than Tapu Koko, hits for less on the first hit. Against certain teams (once Phero and/or Lele have weakened the opposing Pokemon or I'm just hitting for weakness), can just sweep with Beast Boost. Doesn't interrupt Psychic Terrain which is a plus.
Thunderbolt is amazing. Kills everything, including stuff that resists Lightning.
Volt Switch is almost useless. There really hasn't been a time where I thought 'yes, I want to swap out of Xurkitree, now that I swapped it in'. Probably should replace it with some other coverage, but really I just want to Thunderbolt.
Grass Knot and Dazzling Gleam are both very situational. 9 times out of 10, I am using Thunderbolt. The remaining 1 time is when they resist Lightning but I need to punch a hole anyway.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Specially defensive Celesteela. Maybe a mixed set is better. Either way, Celesteela doesn't die. Once it hits Leech Seed it's golden.

Let's see how far I go...

Seeing you are using a backline scarf xurkitree (thus, not really needing that Volt Switch as you said), you can consider using Signal Beam as coverage to hit grass types, or discharge for spread damage against rain teams and/or to get around Lightning Rods (assuming you'd protect whatever else you have active in that moment).

Alternatively, Nature Power will turn into Psychic with Tapu Lele on ground, which could also potentially be useful since it will get pseudostab from the terrain.

Energy Ball is nearly always better for its constant 90 power. That said, Xurkitree has so much raw SpA that the main reason to use it over Grass Knot- lightweights like Gastrodon- is mostly mitigated. Grass Knot is a 43% chance of OHKO on Gastrodon4, unboosted.

Since bulky waters are mostly a non-issue, Grass Knot has a little more value for heavier Grounds, which will take more damage. Cleanly OHKOs Mudsdale and has significantly higher output on the likes of Hippowdon and Palossand (both Set4s run max special bulk and are not OHKOs.)

The main deal of running Grass Knot as coverage on Electric types over Energy Ball (in the few applicable cases like Xurki) is that usually the ground types you face are very heavy thus GK hits 100+ power. I'd believe Gastrodon, Lando-I and Gliscor are the only notable exceptions

Hey guys! My current goal is to have all 3 BT stamps and I just got my Doubles one. I'm trying to win using some specific pokémon, but I can't decide about my Singles team. Would you please help me? Here's the list I'm using as my options:

Salamence
Gallade
Gardevoir
Altaria
Salazzle
Arcanine
Lucario
Dragonite
Typhlosion
Mienshao
Milotic
Swampert
Garchomp
Raichu
Jolteon
Espeon

I won my stamp in Moon using Dragonite/Typhlosion/Milotic, but I'd rather have something new this time, like in doubles =)

The main deal of running Grass Knot as coverage on Electric types over Energy Ball (in the few applicable cases like Xurki) is that usually the ground types you face are very heavy thus GK hits 100+ power. I'd believe Gastrodon, Lando-I and Gliscor are the only notable exceptions
Does it not suck though when you locked in Grass Knot to kill something bulky then a Ribombee or something appears and I do zero damage to it?

Does it not suck though when you locked in Grass Knot to kill something bulky then a Ribombee or something appears and I do zero damage to it?
Sort of. It sucks in same way as locking into Thunderbolt and then having a ground type or Lightning Rod coming out.

Such is life of Choice items :)

Ack, the perils of playing super multis with children. We lost at 42 because my son didn't mega (I check with him each game that he has mega'd before he locks in a move, and did here, but alas...). Opposing lead was Hippowdon and Grassium-Z Rotom-Mow. I Fake Out on the Rotom, knowing that Hypervoice will pick up a 2HKO on the Rotom before it has a chance to Grassium Blastoise, and the chip on Hippowdon will ensure Scald KOs it turn two. But instead of being 4-2 up with a full health M-Blastoise and 50% Gardevoir we end up 2-4 down and Bisharp is coming in on the Hippowdon. Tried for the Iron Head flinch, but it was nowhere in evidence. There was a slight chance my Thundurus-T could have pulled it out if it could bring it to a 1 on 1 situation (depending on what was behind Hippowdon), but Hippowdon Yawns and that's that. In the 8 or so games before that the team was running beautifully, wasn't even a single match that got even remotely shaky, so I still feel good about the composition, but not sure how long it will be before I can face starting again though.

Last edited:
I finally passed 100 for the first time. Happy with my team so far. Taking a break for the night.

Current team is:

Greninja @ Life Orb
Timid - 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Surf
- Grass Knot
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Standard Ninja lead set. On average takes out 1.5 - 2 mons on his own. Especially once the Veterans show up with the Latios/as, Terrakion, the Psychics, etc.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant - 252 Attack / 252 HP / 4 Def
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch

Big shout out to the fellas a page back who recommended Superpower. Has saved my ass so many times. Eviolite Porygon (which used to be a nightmare for this team), Magnezone, Ferrothorn, etc. all get crushed by SP.

Garchomp ("Darkseid") @ Dragonium Z
Jolly - 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Chomp is great. Been my favorite Pokemon since I first saw him several gens ago. You have read all about how great he is so I won't bore you all.

Anyway the run isn't over, so this isn't an official submission. Just excited that I finally beat 100 :)

EDIT: Up to 111. It's tough to do more than 5-10 of these in a row since have the time I have to do damage calcs. I predict when I lose this streak it will be because I assumed some mon was Set A but it was Set B and I got lazy. That said, I won't be mad when I lose it now that I got my three favorite mons over 100. Ready to try a new team soon.

Last edited:
My team for super singles:

Lead:
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant - 252 attack, 196 speed, 62 HP
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Greninja @ Expert Belt/Life Orb
Timid - 252 Spatk, 252 Sped, 4 HP
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Dark Pulse

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Adamant - 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Power Up Punch

I keep losing to fast fighting types like Mega Lucario and Mega Lopunny... Lopunny3 in particular, can mega evolve + fake out my Dragonite, then ice punch him, then high jump kick the other two for an 81% chance of unstoppable victory. I think I should switch Greninja or Kangaskhan for somebody else, but I find them both very useful in many situations. Any recommendations? I'm thinking of training up a Mega Scizor (as this will also be a good switch-out from Dragonite when I see leads with ice shard). In that case I'd replace Kangaskhan obviously, since you don't want two Megas, but is there a big flaw in Dragonite/Greninja/Mega Scizor that I'm missing? Or should I replace Greninja instead, with somebody else? I have Mega Gyarados already trained up, who could intimidate these fighters and stay in non-mega form to resist fighting moves...

I've gotten up to 60 or 70 wins with this team but clearly having a pokemon who can instant kill the whole team (Lopunny3) is not viable. Many scarf users like Passimian3 can also definitely kill Greninja and Kangaskhan if Dragonite is dead beforehand. No team is perfect, of course...

Last edited:
I need some help with making a battle tree double's team, or at the very least finding a good QR code for one. I have been using a certain team for a while, and I know it can get me to round 50, but I can't seem to get there without having a loss at least some before that. I know that part of it is just luck, as with random teams the enemy trainers can be kinda BS at times, and I also know part of it is my lack of battle experience. however, I really wanna try and optimize my team to the point where the chance of bad luck happening is at a minimum, as I can then focus on getting better. Bellow is the team I have been using. Any help on how to improve it would be nice!

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Timid - 252 Sp Attack, 252 speed, 4 HP
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Heat Wave
- Discharge

Landorus-T@ Earth Plate
Adamant - 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 HP
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Explosion

Aegishlash @ Weakness Policy
Quiet- 252 Sp Attack, 252 HP, 4 Defense
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- King's Sheild

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Modest - 252 Sp Attack, 252 speed, 4 HP
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

My basic strategy is to spam multi-target moves till everything dies. Zapdos and Landorus are my maid leads, and i tend to just spam Earthquake, Discharge, and Heat Wave. Aegishlash is the tank that Takes hits when something dies or I am facing something dangerous. Gardevoir is mainly on there because its my favorite pokemon. I have run trace, but I am considering running telepathy as its been kinda difficult to use alongside Landorus's earthquake, and trace has only helped occasionall. I am also considering swaping Explosion and U-turn on Landorus, as I hardly ever use those moves.

I know this isn't the best team, so if there is anyway I can improve it please let me know. I mainly do the battle tree for the ribbons, so I am really only concerned with getting up to battle 49, where at which point i'll swap to the pokemon I want to get the ribbons on and fight blue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)