Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Yay of course I lose day after it's updated. Anyway I got a streak of 140 using the team below. And here is the video YTDG-WWWW-WWW7-2243. Lost due to my unwillingness to sac Gliscor.

• Porygon-z @ Normlium Z
  • Timid Nature
  • Adaptabilty
  • Evs: 252 SpAtk / 252 SpD / 4 Def
  • Thunderbolt
  • Ice Beam
  • Hidden Power Ground
  • Conversion

• Aegislash @ Leftovers
  • Brave Nature
  • Stance Change
  • King's Shield
  • Swords Dance
  • Sacred Sword
  • Shadow Sneak

• Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
  • Careful Nature
  • Poison Heal
  • Evs: 212 HP / 4 Atk / 36 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
  • Toxic
  • Protect
  • Substitute
  • Earthquake

Really fun team the defensive synergy between Aegi and Gliscor is insane

Last edited:
Yay of course I lose day after it's updated. Anyway I got a streak of 140 using the team below. And here is the video YTDG-WWWW-WWW7-2243. Lost due to my unwillingness to sac Gliscor.

• Porygon-z @ Normlium Z
  • Timid Nature
  • Adaptabilty
  • Evs: 252 SpAtk / 252 SpD / 4 Def
  • Thunderbolt
  • Ice Beam
  • Hidden Power Ground
  • Conversion

• Aegislash @ Leftovers
  • Brave Nature
  • Stance Change
  • King's Shield
  • Swords Dance
  • Sacred Sword
  • Shadow Sneak

• Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
  • Careful Nature
  • Poison Heal
  • Evs: 212 HP / 4 Atk / 36 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
  • Toxic
  • Protect
  • Substitute
  • Earthquake

Really fun team the defensive synergy between Aegi and Gliscor is insane

Any specific reason for those IVs on Gliscor?

It was a pretty standard set in the battle maison. The top streak ran it for over 3000 wins, so I'm guessing that's where they got it. It's an incredibly tanky beast that can alternate Protect and Substitute to PP stall practically anything.

also, I'm guessing you meant EVs

I'm kinda interested to see how this team progresses (I'm assuming atm that you won't be satisfied with the Aegislash and will keep moving that fourth slot around for the perfect teammate). With that in mind, and in an effort to motivate you to keep pushing forward (whether with this team or with another), I hereby issue a friendly challenge...

Doobzi's Doubles stamp run team

I've mentioned using a reasonably close copy of this team a few times (Thunder Fang-->Crunch, standard 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe spread on Arcanine), but have never really found too much success with it since getting my Doubles stamp. I have used it mainly as a test team for Mock Replays of other Trainers' Battle Videos. Now, for whatever reason, I decided to give it another shot today, and it is now holding a new best of 55 wins.

I personally believe that your team is better equipped to handle extended Tree runs than this one:
- Battery-based teams are more flexible in dealing with a wider variety of opposing archetypes and lead matchups than those based around the KokoChu lead core; the latter is more matchup-dependent to succeed
- While the latter is better at preventing Trick Room from getting set, the former is better at withstanding it once it does set
- Bulkier overall, and I'm a strong advocate of having at least one clearly bulky, defensively-oriented mon for Doubles

Since your Doubles best is currently sitting at 54, I will place my new best with the team I've affection ally named 'Doobs' here, as a goal for you to beat, hopefully with Charjabug still in tow:

Battle #55, vs. Dustin (Manectric3/Incineroar3/Gyarados3/Salamence?) -- Stupid Meganectric tries to interrupt this team's usual strategy, but that's why the KokoChu has coverage...
FSMG-WWWW-WWW7-2XPS

Whether you accept or not, good luck and good fortune with your cool team.
Honestly, at the moment, I'm happy with the Aegislash. Fire types haven't really been the biggest issue, and Ground types usually only have Earthquake, so Wide Guard beats that pretty solidly. Plus, it can switch in for Salamence, which is always nice. And one ruined streak isn't really enough for me yet to make me consider taking it off the team yet.

And in no way am I dropping this team. To be honest, I love it too much to not try and get it on the leaderboard, if not at least get past 60. Totally gonna take on your challenge, probably after I get a stamp for Singles. I just got the stamp for Multi today, and I'm trying to extend that streak.

Probably the only thing that would hold me back from an extensively long streak is getting distracted in playing other games or doing other things like breeding. But good luck to you too!

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, at the moment, I'm happy with the Aegislash. Fire types haven't really been the biggest issue, and Ground types usually only have Earthquake, so Wide Guard beats that pretty solidly. Plus, it can switch in for Salamence, which is always nice. And one ruined streak isn't really enough for me yet to make me consider taking it off the team yet.

And in no way am I dropping this team. To be honest, I love it too much to not try and get it on the leaderboard, if not at least get past 60. Totally gonna take on your challenge, probably after I get a stamp for Singles. I just got the stamp for Multi today, and I'm trying to extend that streak.

Probably the only thing that would hold me back from an extensively long streak is getting distracted in playing other games or doing other things like breeding. But good luck to you too!
Well, just know that you won't have much longer to go after that point, I kept trying to push this morning and lost a close one to Wally at 60. Losing Tapu Koko Turn 1 proved to be the difference maker, as Wally's backups were the Fiary-weak ones and couldn't be punished as hard without it there.

I've discussed this with a few different people, but the KokoChu core has been disappointing in some respects, which is why 'Doobs' is my baseline team to work with these days for non-serious Tree efforts.

So, 59 wins is the new goalpost.

It was a pretty standard set in the battle maison. The top streak ran it for over 3000 wins, so I'm guessing that's where they got it. It's an incredibly tanky beast that can alternate Protect and Substitute to PP stall practically anything.
Pretty much what Private Joker said plus Aegi takes on psychical threats extremely well so I needed a more specially defensive spread.

Well, just know that you won't have much longer to go after that point, I kept trying to push this morning and lost a close one to Wally at 60. Losing Tapu Koko Turn 1 proved to be the difference maker, as Wally's backups were the Fiary-weak ones and couldn't be punished as hard without it there.

I've discussed this with a few different people, but the KokoChu core has been disappointing in some respects, which is why 'Doobs' is my baseline team to work with these days for non-serious Tree efforts.

Doesn't Wally only have 4 Pokemon though? So whatever leads, the other two are what Wally has, so you know what they are weak to? Maybe I'm judging how you play too much, or I just missed something off of my memory. Or you just weren't checking while you were playing.

KokoChu Core is really central to one plan, which is probably what causes it's failure. Once it collapses, it's hard to bring things back together, since the fastest Pokemon is now gone. Probably all obvious to you though.

On an unrelated note, there's a new Sun/Moon update out now, and all replays prior to this update now can't be shared online. I guess you should all keep track of whatever recent games you have prior to the update if they are of any importance to you, then update so you can still have a losing Battle Video, if you do. I'll need to end up doing the same.

Hi everyone, I've been lurking around smogon for years and finally decided to post something. Tree doubles is a really fun challenge for me although I'm not really good at it, haha!

So my original doubles team achieved a 102 win streak. the team consisted of:
Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
Naughty Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- Lunge
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fire

Mega Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws (Clear Body)
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- ThunderPunch

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extremespeed
- Fire Punch

Pheromosa mixed with Ice beam has been very clutch. Went with Choice Scarf + Timid Lele to outspeed my own Pheromosa so Lele can go a big chunk to bulkier mons that Pheromosa can clean up so she can get the Boost. I can pretty much always garuntee a kill on at least one mon first turn thanks to the combination on two super speed mons under terrain which eliminates priority, plus the focus sash on Pheromosa allowing her to eat an attack. This puts me in a greta position right off the bat. My mega of choice was Metagross as he is fast, has great coverage, great bulk and can even take advantage of psychic terrain with a STAB, tough claws boosted Zen Headbutt. I went with Iron Head over Meteor Mash for the consistency, and both Elemental punches for the excellent coverage and tough claws boost. The opponent loves to use Fairies and Flying types as leads against Pheromosa so Metagross was a perfect compliment to my two leads.

***My last member was a bit harder to choose and I'm here to ask for other suggestions. Basically I went with a Dragon to round out the Fairy/Steel/Dragon combo. I love the Multiscale ability allowing me to almost always tank atleast one hit, the fire coverage since Tapu Lele is locked in to Psychic 99% of the time and Moonblast the other 1%, and having a mon on the team who is able to set up on its own (obviously besides beast boost). Extremespeed might seem like a silly choice since Psychic terrain eliminates it, but if I do send out Dragonite it's usually last and terrain is (almost) gone, and has even saved me in situation where the opponent had a choice scarfer I wasn't prepared or priority of their own (think Weavile with Ice Shard who just knocked out my Metagross with Night Slash the prior turn, this actually happened). However, Dragonite is relatively weak and pretty damn slow without a Boost, especially since I run Dragon Claw over Outrage for the situations I need to hit a specific slot (which is most of the time).

So after the 102 streak ended, I replaced Dragonite with Garchomp that has a Groundium Z, Jolly nature and runs Swords Dance, Earthquake, Dragon Claw and Protect. I was originally hesitant to add a mon that knows Earthquake in the back since Metagross and Lele don't run protect, but I switched Zen Headbutt to Protect on Metagross. There's also the fact that If I do run in to a situation where I have Lele and Garchomp out at the same time, I can use the Groundium Z to just target one mon. So far it's gone pretty well, I climbed back up to 60 wins quick where I currently am now, but I still feel like Garchomp is kinda the weakest link and one who does the least.

Any suggestions on a solid fourth of just on the team in general would be much appreciated! Thanks to those who took the time to read all of this as well :)
Couldn't help but notice this, but if you're reading this, hope my experience playing around with Pheromosa/Lele can provide a few insights...

I run 252 Atk / 20 SpA / 236 Spe on Pheromosa with a Naughty nature to put its speed at 201, max speed (203) is not needed if you look at turskain's speed tier list.
204 - Tsareena-4
201 - Skarmory-3
200 - Jolteon-1
200 - Crobat-1
200 - Aerodactyl-2
200 - Jolteon-2
200 - Crobat-2
200 - Jolteon-3
200 - Crobat-3
200 - Gengar-4
200 - Aerodactyl-4
200 - Jolteon-4
200 - Crobat-4
For Tapu Lele I run 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe with Modest nature and Choice Scarf to put its speed at 202.5 after the scarf boost, outspeeding Pheromosa slightly so I can soften certain mons with Lele then pick up KOs with Phero to get the beast boost bonus. I'm not sure how much speed is optimal here and I haven't gotten to a really high streak yet (160ish so far) but I'm comfortable with this spread. In case anyone cares what my last two pokemon are, I filled those slots with Celesteela and M-Salamence.

I guess I may post my team spreads if I do get to a higher streak (aiming for around 300), but that's not likely to happen with my inexperience XD

Smuckem

Funny how you and the Cod are on here...

Me and a few others are discussing the question of using multiple teams during a streak and were wondering how often a Trainer would be allowed to switch teams before the streak is considered "invalid". Any guidelines or arbitrary numbers we could/should use? Is there no limit for the purposes of these leaderboards?

I know Repto & turskain did a lot of switching for their semi-random Maison Triples streaks, but that format is an entirely different beast than anything we have had in the facilities before or since, and I wonder if a little more stability would be desired/recommended for the Tree.

Last edited:

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Funny how you and the Cod are on here...

Me and a few others are discussing the question of using multiple teams during a streak and were wondering how often a Trainer would be allowed to switch teams before the streak is considered "invalid". Any guidelines or arbitrary numbers we could/should use? Is there no limit for the purposes of these leaderboards?

I know Repto & turskain did a lot of switching for their semi-random Maison Triples streaks, but that format is an entirely different beast than anything we have had in the facilities before or since.
Switching mid streak is just fine, as is switching a number of times. I'll note, though, that since it usually takes a fair bit of time to learn to play a team near optimally, too many switches probably hurts streak length rather than helps it, so take care. And if the switches make listing the Pokemon used too unwieldy on the leaderboard, I may use a short form description with a note to read the writeup for the full list of Pokemon used.

All of this, of course, is subject to the usual caveat that if it looks like you're trying to somehow cover up cheating or mislead people about the actual team usage in your streak, I reserve the right to reject it from leaderboard inclusion.

Here to report a completed streak of 120 in Super Doubles.

Team is based on Level 51's team which in turn is based on turskain's team with a far less impressive win total.

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Lunge
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Substitute
- Protect

I'd had trouble with Doubles for a long time, with my more original teams never getting past the mid-50s, so I decided to try this Pheromosa/Lele thing I'd seen all over the leaderboards. I'd seen that Scarf Lele had found plenty of success, but I much preferred the Z-Nuke over it. There's nothing here I can really write that would build on what turskain or Level 51 has written on their write-ups.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate / Aerilate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

I'm not 100% sure where this spread came from - I bred this set in X/Y for something and I was using this in Singles, so it was the only set I had with max happiness. Mega Salamence is just fantastic for everything Tree related right now, and I couldn't get away from it, even with a spread that wasn't specifically built for the tree. Not too much to say other than that.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot

I originally had Celesteela in this spot, but I think I was just terrible at using it because I couldn't get much utility out of Leech Seed/Wide Guard. That streak got to 105, but I don't have proof since it was in v1.1 and I didn't find it worth the write up since I thought I could improve. I instead decided to go all out hyper offense and plug in Tapu Koko. This is the same set as turskain's, but is just in general a standard Koko set. I was skeptical of a few things. Firstly, I was worried about it's pairing with Pheromosa since it's viability is increased by Psychic Terrain and Koko erases that, but honestly I didn't mind switching in and saving Pheromosa from a Yawn every once in a while. This also applied for Lele as well, as Psychic Terrain really helped pick up KOs without the Z-Nuke. Eventually, Koko was just used as a cleaner, but the lack of Protect also meant that Salamence couldn't freely EQ all the time if they ended up together too. Either way, you can't really go too wrong with this Pokémon and it's very easy to play with.
Loss: PPTG-WWWW-WWW7-2CHM

Didn't expect Flareon to just nuke the shit out of both my Tapus so I ended up playing it badly. Crit guaranteed a KO on Koko but had a 31.3% chance of KO'ing anyway. I'd struggled with Mega Metagross through the whole run (this was the third time facing it) and having to face a Rotom-Frost just meant that Salamence never had a chance in hell. Could've played this better and just Ice Beam'd Toucannon and Z-Nuke'd Flareon on the first turn, but mistakes were made. Either way, this streak is high enough for me to be content with and to return to trying out more original sets again, so hopefully the next time I post on here it'll be a little more impressive.

So there's a new update for Sun/Moon that's out that of course corrupts all replays from the previous version. Is there any way around this? You can't even go online to share the previous replays. I was almost to the 90 streak in Super Singles with my previously posted team, but now I have no way to prove it :/

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
So there's a new update for Sun/Moon that's out that of course corrupts all replays from the previous version. Is there any way around this? You can't even go online to share the previous replays. I was almost to the 90 streak in Super Singles with my previously posted team, but now I have no way to prove it :/
Uninstalling the v1.2 patch and getting the v1.1 patch installed in its place, then playing offline with the old version should work. I downgraded from v1.1 to v1.0 this way to record AI multis battle videos from the old version, but getting v1.1 specifically might be more difficult this time.

There's also a way to edit battle videos on the SD card to try and fix compatibility: https://gbatemp.net/threads/editing-s-m-battle-video-offsets.459652/ https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-pok%C3%A9mon-sun-moon-replay-editor.453617/

Last edited:

That's really nice of you to take my team as a baseline and give it a name :D. I got the team to 94 in my first and only run, I'm sure I could break a 100 if I played it right. Honestly, I lost because I lacked knowledge of what the other pokemon was, early stages of sun and moon ya know? Didn't know turtonator was fire/dragon XD, so I ended up t-bolting from both raichu and koko thinking it was pure fire and the effect was underwhelming to say at the least, while dazzling plus psychic or even volt-switch into canine might have been a better option.

I feel like kokochou has potential to thrive, maybe with a z-move on one of them, it becomes even more deadly, been really into BSS for the last 6 or so months. Maybe ill dust the old team off and give it another try.

edit:
Thought it's time I got it onto the leaderboard, here's the proof that the doubles team won 93 battles in a row. Link to the team posted by smuckem above.

NoCheese Edit: The team was originally described by Doobzi here.

Proof:
I'm having trouble uploading the images even after I got it onto photobucket and put the URL in, here's a direct link till I can figure it out. http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/soullessmate/IMG20170518231756_zps4g0ltlho.jpg

I also got to 170 in singles with a team straight of youtube. You know Vizually? Yeah that guy. His team.

Here it is for reference:
Blaziken @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Blaze Kick
- High Jump Kick
- Hone Claws
- Stone edge

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Proof:
same problem as above, here's a direct link till I can figure it out. http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/soullessmate/IMG20170518231743_zps47cvied4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone understand the AI logic when it comes to using dragon dance? makes no sense why megazardx would rather go for a couple DD rather than just use flare blitz on aegislash...

Last edited:
And that's my Multi streak over. Streak is at 61 Wins and I loss to what may have been an AI misplay, something I can't fix or change too much.

Team:
+ Pokemon Trainer Cynthia

Me:

Salamence (M) @ Salamencite
Level: 50
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Relatively basic Special Mega Salamence set. Leads the team and acts as a cleanup attacker on Turn 1 after Lucario usually KOs something. Hyper Voice becomes a deadly single target attack if Lucario is able to KO something, which, more times than not, it does. Otherwise, it finishes off whatever Lucario didn't KO and chips the other opponent, usually enough for Lucario to KO it next turn. Dragon Pulse gives it an extra STAB attack, helpful against other Dragons, while Flamethrower deals with Steels bar Heatran. Protect is nice for scouting out primarily Ice moves and preserving Intimidate Turn 1 if I don't Mega.

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Aegislash becomes the Trick Room counter and switch in for Ice type moves that Lucario hasn't taken out. Z-Shadow Ball is a great one time nuke that can blast through many opponents and finish games off faster. Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon provide relatively nice neutral coverage and helps deals with things that the leads can't handle. Wide Guard is absolutely great for stalling out things like Earthquakes and helps protect Cynthia's Pokemon from other spread moves to let them sweep. King's Shield is a necessity, and helps keep Aegislash safe. The Attack drops the it can give are also incredibly helpful for boosting Aegislash's survival.

Pokemon Trainer Cynthia:

Lucario-3 (Lucario) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Blaze Kick
- Bullet Punch

Cynthia's lead Pokemon. Adaptability Close Combat is ridiculously strong. Often one shots a lead Pokemon on the opposing side, and if not, left it low enough to where Salamence can finish them off with Hyper Voice. Bullet Punch is a great priority move, and when boosted by STAB, it has finished off so many Pokemon and is relatively easy to predict, so I can single target another opponent. Blaze Kick and Rock Slide add a coverage move and a spread move respectively, but do get annoying when they are used when I don't expect it.

This set is surprisingly straight forward, as obvious as it is. It is not that difficult to predict, since Close Combat does so much damage. Bullet Punch is used when an opponent is about below 33%, depending on the Pokemon. Blaze Kick has been used more than Rock Slide, as the former has seen more super effective hits than the latter. Rock Slide has only been used for pretty much exclusively Talonflame or a Double Flying lead.

Togekiss-4 (Togekiss) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
- Grass Knot
- Dazzling Gleam

Back up for Cynthia. Hits a lot of things for Super Effective Damage, making Expert Belt much stronger. It's also decently bulky, despite not being invested, so it can take one Super Effective Attack back a decent amount of time. Dazzling Gleam has probably been it's most used move, providing a STAB Spread damage with a really good coverage. Air Slash is STAB and can give the flinch chance, but often KOs things instead. Aura Sphere and Grass Knot provide good coverage and are only used to hit Super Effective targets, boosting Expert Belt's usage.

This set is a lot harder to predict, at least in comparison to the Lucario. However, unless it's a super effective hit, Dazzling Gleam is the only thing that's used. But, it gets annoying when there's two targets that can be hit super effectively by Togekiss, then it becomes an annoying guessing game, which may have caused my loss, but I'm not sure.

Threats:

Electric-Types:
Primarily the bulkier ones like Raikou, I often can't OHKO them. Lucario has to Close Combat to come close to it, and they resist Salamence's Hyper Voice. However, most Electric-Types are relatively frail, so they aren't the biggest issue.

Bulky Normal-Types: Mainly Blissey and Snorlax. Without Lucario being able to hit them super effectively, they can wall the team pretty badly due to them having a relatively high Special Defense.

Suicune: Salamence is at risk of an Ice Move, forcing the switch or Protect. Lucario can't OHKO it with a Close Combat either, putting it risk to a double target via Blizzard and Suicune's partner.

Mega Charizard X (Charizard4): Main initial fear comes from not knowing whether it is Mega X or Mega Y. Mega Y is a non issue, but Mega X is extremely hard to hit for good, reliable damage at a low risk in return. Salamence and Togekiss are at risk to a Dragon Rush and/or a Rock Slide and should be outsped after a Dragon Dance. Lucario and Aegislash can't take a Flare Blitz and Lucario does just under 50% with a Rock Slide, assuming on the turn Charizard Mega Evolves. Recoil helps take it down faster, but most everything gets OHKO'd to it.

Heatran: Again, without Lucario, they can't be hit too hard. Resists all of Salamence's attacks, and Togekiss only has Aura Sphere for it but is threatened by it's Steel moves. Aegislash is at risk of an OHKO depending on the set, making it a risk to stay in on. Plus, Aegislash can't take more than one attack from Heatran.

Battles:

Battle 45: (Replay made pre-1.2 patch)
Dancer Tasenee (Raikou? & Blissey4) and Black Belt Arnold (Breloom4 & Rotom-Fan3)

Breloom is taken down really quickly with a Hyper Voice, but Raikou gives a slight issue in being KO'd first turn. Rotom-F comes in and makes quick work on Cynthia's team alongside Raikou. Raikou eventually goes down to Salamence, but Salamence gets paralyzed by Rotom-F. Blissey comes in, and wanting a 1v1, I take out the Rotom-F, but it uses Minimize, signifying Blissey4. However, after a quick moveset check, I realize that neither of my Pokemon can be damaged by Blissey, so I switch back and forth to stall out Mud Shot PP, then just click a move with Salamence to stall out the rest of the PP.

Battle 48: (Replay made pre-1.2 patch)
Aether Foundation Harvey (Drifblim? & Snorlax4) and Dancer Tasanee (Garchomp? & Wishiwashi3)

Drifblim and Garchomp are taken care of Turn 1 by the leads, leaving Wishiwashi and Snorlax. Both quickly take down the leads after a little chip damage, almost causing issues, but the opponents decided to use double Earthquake instead, KOing each other while Aegislash used Wide Guard and Togekiss finished them off.

Battle 49: (Replay made pre-1.2 patch)
Policeman Benji (Tyranitar[1,2] & Gastrodon3) and Black Belt Bryson (Empoleon3 & Charizard3)

Fearing an Ice move on Turn 1, I protect Salamence without Mega Evolving, which saves me from the Z-Ice Beam that comes out. At the same time, Lucario takes out Tyranitar with a Close Combat. Aegislash replaces Salamence and Lucario uses Close Combat on Gastrodon, but goes down to a Mud Bomb. Aegislash takes out Gastrodon and Togekiss chips down Empoleon, then Empoleon switches to Chaizard the following turn. At this point, unsure of which Mega it is, I switch back into Salamence for the Intimidate, intent on sacrificing it. Thankfully, it is Mega Charizard Y, and it uses Heat Wave, taking out Salamence and Togekiss. From there, I Wide Guard stall all the Heat Waves, then Z-Shadow Ball to take out Charizard, then another Shadow Ball finishes off Empoleon.

Battle 50: (Replay made pre-1.2 patch)
Battle Legend Red (Charizard3 & Blastoise?) and Battle Legend Blue (Rhyperior? and Pidgeot?)

Lucario's Rock Slide destroys what turns out to be Mega Charizard Y, and Rhyperior is basically ignored. Blastoise comes in and destroys Salamence with a Blizzard while Lucario takes out Rhyperior with a Close Combat. Pidgeot comes in, Mega Evolves, and takes out Lucario in exchange, while Blastoise gets a flinch on Aegislash, stalling the end of the game. Thankfully, Aegislash dodges the next turn Blizzard and is able to take out Blastoise, leaving a 2v1 of Togekiss and Aegislash vs Mega Pidgeot. Pidgeot uses Hyper Beam on Togekiss next turn, taking it out, but opens itself to being KO'd by a double Flash Cannon. Stamp obtained!

Battle 55: XRBG-WWWW-WWW7-2L7P
Rising Star Marianne (Rotom-H? & Exeggutor2) and Preschooler Victor (Mespirit4 & Heatran4)

Fairly mediocre play. I played pretty poorly in my opinion, not taking into account that Lucario had a super effective hit on Exeggutor. However, the double Psychic turn was probably a double target into Lucario, so I couldn't have done much to prevent it. Not checking for the Blizzard also was a problem, as having a second Pokemon would have been nice for Exeggutor. Thankfully, it locked itself into Flash Cannon, letting me get the easy KO.

Battle 57: GX9G-WWWW-WWW7-2L99
Veteran Ignacio (Thundurus4 & Cobalion3) and Lass Samantha (Suicune4 & Raikou4)

Thankfully Lucario rips through Suicune, otherwise that would have been annoying to take down. Sadly Thundurus takes down Lucario in the same turn, but it did it's work. Oddly, Raikou decides to use Thunder on Aegislash, saving Togekiss, but also uses Gigavolt Havoc on a low HP Togekiss. Thankfully, Defiant didn't become an issue this game, but being Thunurus3 could have been really bad for my team, since I did plan on switching out Salamence Turn 2 either way, thus potentially boosting Thunurus up to +2 Attack.

Battle 58: KCUG-WWWW-WWW7-2L9H
Janitor Paulo (Turtonator? & Vaporeon3) and Ace Trainer Munin (Rotom-M4 & Serperior4)

Relatively basic game, however, thankfully it was a Choice Specs Serperior without Contrary, I would have lost the game otherwise. Or, having the Air Slash hit the Serperior would have been fine. I do wish I targeted the Serperior instead when it was down to Aegislash vs Serperior and Vaporeon, but I feared Yawn and Shadow Ball too much. Things just got way too risky after the Air Slash miss, having to take a -4 Leaf Storm in Blade form with about a third of Aegislash's health left, then having to wake up the next turn to be in Shield Form. Maybe if I could still change forms while asleep I would have been fine...

Battle 62: CZTG-WWWW-WWW7-2LAK (Loss)
Veteran Placido (Landorus2 & Heatran1) and Collector Sam (Snorlax3 & Salamence4)

Choice Scarf Landorus took out Lucario way before it could get what I assume would have been a really nice Close Combat onto Snorlax. Turn 2 Landorus switches out against two Flying types, into Heatran, while Snorlax uses Protect on a turn where it would have really helped to have the extra damage. Due to that Protect, Snorlax is alive another turn and draws Togekiss away from Heatran, something I didn't want, since Snorlax was a minimal threat. Togekiss goes down after a Flash Cannon and a Double-Edge from a Salamence switch in after taking out Snorlax a turn earlier. My Salamence then quickly takes out the other Salamence to make it a 1v1, but it's already too late, as I can't get enough damage onto the Heatran with Salamence, and Aegislash is forced to take too much damage to deal with Landorus properly.

I suppose that I could have switched Aegislash in to take a Flash Cannon and a Fire Attack, but not knowing what attack it was, I didn't want to risk that. Plus, Heatran2 can OHKO Aegislash at full HP with an Overheat, and Flash Cannon + Lava Plume has what seems to be a decent chance to take out Aegislash, so it would have required two low rolls to get it. That was probably my only win condition that I didn't consider, because then Landorus would have come in, locked into Earth Power for the Super Effective hit, then Salamence can take it's time at taking out Landorus. That's assuming that the AI isn't smart enough to consider the Pokemon in the back when they are down to their last Pokemon, especially if they are forced to lock into something.

Potential Improvements:

If I were to partner up with the same Cynthia again, I am definitely considering a mixed Salamence along the lines of this:

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 212 Atk / 52 SpA / 244 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Earthquake
- Return
- Protect

Outspeeds everything after Hawlucha1 and 4 after Mega Evolving, including the all important Raikou. The Speed EVs could be lowered, but it's at that odd spot where adding 8 EVs gives it an extra two Speed points, so I can't underspeed Hawlucha and outspeed Salazzle without Speed ties. Hyper Voice I definitely want and would be my primary move. However, it is a lot weaker now due to a drastic decrease in power. Earthquake is primarily for Heatran and Raikou, two Pokemon that I seem to have a little bit of trouble with on this team. However, if either of them lead, I cannot Earthquake safely thanks to Lucario. Return is an option in the last slot due to Salamence now becoming a lot more on the physical side. Other options for that slot include Dragon Claw and Flamethrower, or Substitute for an ability to stall turns. Attack EVs give it a 25% chance to OHKO the 252 HP Heatrans with Earthquake, however I can't OHKO any Raikou without more investment, with probably a boosting nature as well. Everything else is dumped into Special Attack to make Hyper Voice stronger, however it is much weaker than it would be on my Modest set. This set is also faster than Mega-Lucario, making Salamence more of a Focus Sash breaker rather than a clean up Pokemon. It also means that I can't rely on Lucario to pop Air Balloons bar a random Bullet Punch, and that I can't Earthquake Turn 1 without risking an opponent to target Lucario and take it out.

212 Atk Salamence-Mega Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario-Mega: 102-120 (70.3 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
However, I do like the synergy between Aegislash and Salamence. They work well to cover for each other. However, besides Lucario, my whole team includes Special Attackers. Changing one of my Pokemon to a mix or physical set is definitely something I'm considering, like the Salamence.

Closing Thoughts:

I quite enjoyed playing with this team. Granted, it's very similar to my Super Doubles Team in terms of Pokemon, since two of them are the exact same, but the feel of this is so different. Having to rely on something you can't control gets a tiny bit stressful, but also more fun when they do the right thing. I'll definitely do this mode again, but I think I'm going to try and scout out some different people to pair up with. Choice Scarf Terrakion might be fun to mess around withas a partner, since I do have one. We'll see.

Funny that my streak for this mode is higher than my Super Doubles one at the current moment, but also kind of annoying. Charjabug isn't number 1...

Last edited:
just made it to 139 wins in super single battles
not going to bother detailing the pokemon used because i know no one cares and besides their ev spreads are standard anyway but i used aegislash, porygon-z and salamence.

proof:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/00dvlppeoeh3egb/20170523_095248[1].jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/00dvlppeoeh3egb/20170523_095248[1].jpg?dl=0
i lost to anabel who had mega zam, bulky ass assault vest snorlax and entei. she sends out mega zam first and i always go with my porygon, i know she can outspeed me and focus blast me before i have a chance to z conversion so obviously i go into aegislash. what i did wrong is i tried to pp stall her strong moves unil i could safely set up or something idk what i was thinking. aegislash shield still takes too much damage from psychic and it fainted before i even got to touch her. what i should have done is swords danced and shadow sneak and then snorlax and entei would have been a walk in the park.

I'm trying to build a tree doubles hail team centred around Ninetales/Sandslash for fun. Would anyone be kind enough to give some suggestions to fill up the remaining slots? I haven't tested this team out btw.

What I have now:

Ninetales-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Protect

I considered Vanilluxe for a while, but Ninetales stood out to me more because of its better speed, Fairy typing and access to Aurora Veil. Not very sure on Freeze-Dry vs Blizzard, but the former seemed better to me as it isn't blocked by Wide Guard and can hit water types super-effectively (particularly non-mega Gyarados which Sandslash can't OHKO and may set up with DD).

Sandslash-Alola @ Rockium Z
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Standard EVs. 244 speed outspeeds everything in the tree except Manectric4 and Aerodactyl1, the rest goes into Attack and bulk. Z-Rock Slide deals with fire users since Rock Slide is a spread move and most probably won't KO (Sandslash doesn't get Stone Edge, i think)

I thought of adding Heatran as a switch-in to fire moves + for attacking Steel types, and Tapu Lele for its terrain and easily killing off fighting-types. My dilemma here though is that both sit at quite horrible speed tiers but I can't scarf both.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Grassium Z, Bloom Doom Heatran is pretty useful - was going to be my suggestion before seeing you were considering Heatran already. Would probably swap Rockium Z on Slash to Life Orb or even Wide Lens .

I'm trying to build a tree doubles hail team centred around Ninetales/Sandslash for fun. Would anyone be kind enough to give some suggestions to fill up the remaining slots? I haven't tested this team out btw.

What I have now:

Ninetales-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Protect

I considered Vanilluxe for a while, but Ninetales stood out to me more because of its better speed, Fairy typing and access to Aurora Veil. Not very sure on Freeze-Dry vs Blizzard, but the former seemed better to me as it isn't blocked by Wide Guard and can hit water types super-effectively (particularly non-mega Gyarados which Sandslash can't OHKO and may set up with DD).

Sandslash-Alola @ Rockium Z
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Standard EVs. 244 speed outspeeds everything in the tree except Manectric4 and Aerodactyl1, the rest goes into Attack and bulk. Z-Rock Slide deals with fire users since Rock Slide is a spread move and most probably won't KO (Sandslash doesn't get Stone Edge, i think)

I thought of adding Heatran as a switch-in to fire moves + for attacking Steel types, and Tapu Lele for its terrain and easily killing off fighting-types. My dilemma here though is that both sit at quite horrible speed tiers but I can't scarf both.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
How about Earthquake over Rock Slide? Ice/Steel/Ground has better neutral coverage than Ice/Steel/Rock. Then, maybe Araquanid for other Fire Types that you can't deal with immediately and have a Trick Room counter, cause those will come up, and your two leads don't seem to have the most reliable way of taking out Trick Room setters Turn 1, at first glance.

Tapu Lele is an option for the Fighting coverage, but you then get another weakness to Steel. Maybe a Psychic or Ghost type, perhaps with a secondary typing that resists Rock, since Araquanid adds a second Rock weakness? Pallosand and Golurk both solve that issue, but they're both somewhat mediocre, but I don't have much experience with them. They can deal with your weaknesses though.

Smuckem

No streak to post, but something mildly interesting. After testing various QR rain teams, and waxing nostalgic about some Gen II stuff, I made the decision to put together a new version of my previous Doubles rain team. No real goals in mind here, other than to test out one of the oldest gimmick sets I've seen, one I (more or less) tried out for a bit way back in Stadium 2.

PHASE A?

At its core, this was still a modified version of R Inanimate's Triples rain team:

OtraRana (Politoed) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
IVs: xx/31/31/31/31/31
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Rain Dance

ReallyDumb (Ludicolo) @ Absorb Bulb
Ability: Swift Swim
IVs: 31/xx/31/31/31/31
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Fake Out
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

Blizzmarck2 (Bisharp) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
IVs: 31/31/xx/31/31/31
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Protect

Same idea as before, same problems as noted here and here. Rather than try and force Floatzel into the framework, however, I opted to try something radically different--a set that could serve both as further rain abuse and a backup rain source. Some conversations about older Gens, as well as near-constant brainstorming on viable rain teams, on the Discord channel, got me thinking about fitting a Graft onto this, as a bunch of battle facility sets are very blatantly catered towards rain. I finally settled upon:

"BS950" (Zapdos) (Lvl.100) @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Rash
IVs: HT/HT/31/31/HT/31 (Hyper Trained)
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
- Rain Dance
- Light Screen
- Drill Peck
- Thunder

Oh yes, friends--it's Imperfect Zapdos3. The flaws in this thing are obvious: 3IV, Naïve-->Rash, STAB Drill Peck, though useful in very niche cases, is pretty weak with no physical investment, and I am in fact too lazy to distribute the leftover EVs. However, its strengths help the team out a bunch: THUNDER DANCE, a switch-in on Grass attacks and Thunder Wave towards Politoed, a relatively fast rain setter, and the lack of Special Defense (a mediocre 99 at Lvl.50) doesn't hurt as much as one would think. This Zapdos is my raw X Legendary Bird capture, and was sitting in X doing much of nothing until this idea came up.

Electric-types are a little easier to deal with (except for Rotom), most special Trainers in Sun are still a challenge (except for Cynthia and Plumeria), though TR is still a problem I play around it better now--often, when it's set I outlast it--and Zapdos adds some useful bulk to the team, in several ways.

This team managed 78 wins before getting dropped by a Scientist (Oranguru3/Trevenant?/Shiinotic4/Slowking4): I underestimated my opponents' bulk, stupidly activated Shiinotic4's WP while TR was active due to me not looking up these new sets (USE THE DATA IN THE OP, PEOPLE), and didn't set up Light Screen while dealing with a host of special attackers. I'm pretty happy with how this turned out, though: I got the Politoed/Ludicolo/Bisharp trio to surpass their previous best by seven wins (and feel at this point that it can't mount a streak any higher than the seventies, no matter who the fourth 'mon is), had an excuse to burn some BP (all these QR rental teams I have been trying out recently got me to finally max out my BP count for the first time), and got me to give a new member of my Imperfect Army a spin and a respectable showing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This team arose from a need to give myself a break from trying out the QR Rental Team function a bunch; I have used various teams that I just found on PGL in the past few weeks, a whole mishmash of bad teams, Battle Spot-specific teams, and some Tree-specific teams. I would encourage people not to just limit themselves to the QR teams posted on this thread or the QR3. Get on PGL, just type a favorite species or move you're just desperate to fit onto a team, and see what you find: possibly something that catches your interest, something that you have fun with, something that *gasp* helps you make headway in the Tree.

Last edited:
Just beat battle 160!

Also, I've decided to make a slight tweak to the Scizor EV spread. Moved 4 EV from HP to Spe to be faster than Scizor4. Scizor4 is a free set up to +6, but it can be tricky with the Speed tie if it gets a critical hit on you. The revised set is below.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EV: 244 HP / 76 Atk / 4 Def / 180 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Also, adding to the threat list another couple Pokemon capable of KOing 1 member of the team, but not really a danger to be swept.

Tyranitar4: If encountered as a lead, it requires a switch to Tapu Fini, who will most likely be sacked to weaken it enough for one of the other 2 to finish off. Not a problem if you have Garchomp behind a Sub(SD+EQ OHKO), +2 Garchomp(EQ OHKO) or +4 Scizor(Bullet Punch OHKO). If above 85%, +2 Scizor can SD, survive a Stone Edge critical then +4 Bullet Punch OHKO.

Dugtrio2: Not fun as a lead. Use Substitute with Garchomp and hope it does anything except a Fissure OHKO, and ideally not a Toxic either. Garchomp behind a Sub wrecks it barring a lot of Bright Powder hax. Surf locked Tapu Fini or +2 Scizor Bullet Punch both dispatch it easily barring Bright Powder hax followed by a Fissure OHKO.

Articuno2: Another OHKO user that is not fun as a lead. I took it out by switching to Tapu Fini on the Ice Beam, used Moonblast while it used Mind Reader, then hit it with a second Moonblast before Sheer Cold. Finished it with Scizor Bullet Punch.

Talonflame34: If encountered as a lead, use Devastating Drake turn 1 always. Talonflame4 will either Swords Dance and die or hit you and die. Talonflame3 will either hit you(breaking its sash) and die to your attack, or Swords Dance and hit you turn 2 and die from Rough Skin. If Talonflame3 uses Swords Dance, Swords Dance turn 2 to get a free +2 going into the second Pokemon. Tapu Fini seems like a tempting switch, but if Talonflame4 uses Swords Dance on the switch and has Gale Wings, it will Brave Bird OHKO Fini then proceed to sweep the entire team.
Hey dude, I've used a similar team, though, mainly due to my inexperience regarding the battle tree, i've only managed mid 50's or 60's streaks.I have a couple of questions on Scizor:Would you choose Knock Off over U-turn, and what is your opinion tweaking the EV's to 252 HP - 40 Def to always survive a Mega Aerodactyl Fire Fang, set up to +2 and OHKO with Bullet Punch? This mainly because I lost one of my high streaks thanks to such a Fire Fang (and a Shadow Ball crit on by Alakazam on my Lele). Thanks in advance!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 10)