Battle Spot Triples Metagame Discussion

Sounds like a good time to start a Battle Spot ORAS Triples Viability Ranking :P
I did a smogon triples viability thread a while back(didn't get much attention though lol). The meta isn't too different so it'd just need a few pokemon added/removed. But idk if it's really worth doing till we see how much attention the analyses get. It would be good for new players to check out though for sure.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Triples seems pretty difficult to get into but I'm interested in trying something new (after trying Rotations and being terrible at it). Anyone have any suggestions to get me started? Because honestly Triples is not a very popular format so I really don't know much about common strategies or even teams to steal. I hear Tyranitar, Braviary, and Hitmontop are pretty good in triples and I like those, so any ideas of what's good with them?

Triples seems pretty difficult to get into but I'm interested in trying something new (after trying Rotations and being terrible at it). Anyone have any suggestions to get me started? Because honestly Triples is not a very popular format so I really don't know much about common strategies or even teams to steal. I hear Tyranitar, Braviary, and Hitmontop are pretty good in triples and I like those, so any ideas of what's good with them?
If I remember well there's a japanese site where were posted some teams. Some of them are very funny 'cause have mons that maybe you never seen in other tiers of the battle spot, mega camerupt, Mega blastoise and glad you like hitmontop 'cause it is a sorta of Must-have. The negative side of this metagame is the cheap strategies like Dark void smeargle that id it is at the center it puts all your 3 mons to sleep.

doesn't seem a over centralized metagame, but I played just a bit and I met little players

EDIT: here, http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/japanese-battle-spot-resources.3546445/

Both of pop channel and choko'blog talk about triples. ;)

Yeah, check Choko's blog for some very good starter team ideas. Playing around with them should give you an idea of the style of gameplay here. Being familiar with doubles helps a lot as well.

Hitmontop is good on all kinds of teams because it's a swiss army knife of support. Feint/Fake Out/Close Combat/Wide or Quick Guard.

The negative side of this metagame is the cheap strategies like Dark void smeargle that id it is at the center it puts all your 3 mons to sleep.
I think Dark Void Smeargle's actually managed to occupy a fairly healthy space in this metagame. I'm not sure I'd want it to go. It's just a support 'mon with a lot of pressure, rather than the do-or-die gimmick it often is in doubles, which is frustrating.

I might be biased, because I use it, but, uh, come at me, bro.

Went through a whole bunch of sets in Triples today, I would think I either lost and won equally, or lost slightly more than winning. Just so you remember, I'm running Tera Cotta at the moment with 3 Fake Out users, and Follow Me support. I think one of the most important decisions is on my turn one, whether I should do Tailwind First or Beat Up first. I'll post more details sometime later.

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I've been toying around with Scyther a lot lately. The only reason I use it is to support Landorus-Therian. It is immune to Earthquake, and can use Feint to break an opponent's wide guard. If the opponent got up a Wide Guard, my Landorus would be left there, useless, for that turn. Now what not use Gliscor?

The only reason I'd ever use Scyther is if you're looking for an offensive presence, and not a more bulky and defensive presence. Looking at the stats, Scyther can outpace Gliscor in speed and attack. However it does lack the bulk that Gliscor possesses. 70 / 80 / 80 isn't something very impressive, even with an Eviolite. Scyther has access to a reliable flying- type STAB, which Gliscor lacks. Scyther can use Technician Aerial Ace to its advantage, as it reaches across the entire field. Scyther has great utility options, such as Quick Guard and Tailwind. If you want to set up for yourself, you can even run Swords Dance. A gimmicky set with Struggle Bug can be used, as it works just like Snarl, but it does damage (little damage, but damage nonetheless). Gliscor has some pretty interesting properties as well. It has access to Struggle Bug, and better overall bulk than Scyther. However if you're looking for an attacking support Pokémon, I would just consider Scyther.

Scyther is just a fun mon to play around with. Charizard-Mega-Y can be paired up with it, for a solid widespread move core; with Scyther breaking wide guards. Again, just a fun mon and I think you guys should give it a try.

Scyther sounds pretty interesting! but im wondering why you decided to compare it to gliscor? I never considered gliscor even viable and i dont see what it has in common with scyther :s

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Scyther sounds pretty interesting! but im wondering why you decided to compare it to gliscor? I never considered gliscor even viable and i dont see what it has in common with scyther :s
I discussed Scyther in competitive tutoring, and someone brought up Gliscor. I thought it was an interesting comparison myself, and just added that in for users that may think Gliscor is always better, or for that user. :]

Have any of you guys played around with Purugly? It has a lot of great support options in Triples like Fake Out and Snatch. It can also provide good offense with its Defiant ability, and good coverage between Return/Last Resort, Sucker Punch, Play Rough, and Wake Up Slap! I'm currently trying to breed some for competitive use, so I can make a more thorough assessment of its potential.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, now that that whole health fiasco is over and Im getting caught up in homework, I've finally been able to play Pokemon again! I was going to start with battle spot 3v3, but my current team for that is a bit stalled because of some mons I need to get, so I decided to make use of those new XD Pokemon Jibaku and Zari cloned for me (I'll clone them for others too btw!), and just slap together a rag tag hard Trick Room team.

The team isn't anything really special honestly, I just wanted to play again and play fast with the new toys I got from Pokemon XD. The first 5 Pokemon are Mega Kangaskhan / Kecleon / Clawitzer / Sylveon / Dusclops with Helping Hand from Pokemon XD

Now why am I leaving out the 6th Pokemon? well you better get prepared, because its one of the strangest things I've ever tested. I found it in Dusclops's top teammates, and was like "what the HELL is this?!"

Presenting...

SWIRLIX

Level 1 Endeavor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sweet Veil

-Endeavor
-Protect
-Helping Hand
-After You

I know what you're thinking... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!

So the basic idea is: god Smeargle and Amoonguss are really annoying aren't they? Especially if people base their teams around screwing up your tactics against sleep, and you made a really lazy hard trick room team like me! Sweet Veil is pretty damn hard to get past: As long as Swirlix is out in the field, you can't put my Pokemon to sleep!

Now of course, since its level 1, it doesn't last long. In fact, I'll probably give Slurpuff a whirl later. But I can not deny: this thing has been like 100x times more successful than I ever imagined so far. It's actually won me QUITE a few games, especially against Smeargle. Using this thing in general actually makes me sorta interested in level 1 shenigans outside of rotations, because to be honest, a lot of the teams I played against had a very hard time with this thing under Trick Room: It'd usually cripple something important, or make something else on my team move fast because of After You. Hell, even a few times where TR was down, it'd give Sylveon a Helping Hand to destroy stuff!

I'm not quite sure if this is analysis worthy yet: I certainly have to test this some more, and apparently the stats list a Surf variant that is used with Jellicent. Overall though, this thing may actually have potential, which I never would have expected! I guess I should test weird things I see in the stats more often!

On a side note, here are two major changes I've seen the pentagonless metagame see in general

1: Expect Eruption Heatran. That thing is common and deadly. In fact, I've seen people run Sunny Day on random stuff like Dusclops and Whimsicott for it. Take that seriously: Eruption under Sun is absolutely lethal, and setting up Sunny Day against a Rain Team is bad news for the rain team!

2: If you see Thundurus, don't expect it to use its usual VGC shenigans: Pretty much every Thundurus I've seen so far has been a physically based Defiant set with at least Wild Charge and Sky Drop. Thundurus is actually pretty strong if it gets intimidated, and its quite a bit faster than Bisharp, Braviary, and Milotic.

Last edited:
With Festive Feud coming up, I've become interested again in making a Sand team! I definitely want to use Tyranitar, and even use him as my Mega, so I can set up sand again to counter other weather setters! Anybody else taking lessons from Festive Feud with them into standard battles. It seems some of these Pokemon are pretty strong!

With Festive Feud coming up, I've become interested again in making a Sand team! I definitely want to use Tyranitar, and even use him as my Mega, so I can set up sand again to counter other weather setters! Anybody else taking lessons from Festive Feud with them into standard battles. It seems some of these Pokemon are pretty strong!
I've done a bit of research for festive feud I want to try a Hail Room team. I've got some soft resets and SV hatched stuff which I want to try out. Not sure how well it is going to go but it will be fun.

Sand is decent in triples for sure.

Yo guys! So with a new play season upon us. I decided to make a rain team for Triples! I know the Triples community is strained for resources, so feel free to use my team. I'm always glad to help fellow Trips players!

http://hastebin.com/jexikatugu.md

Its got immediate pressure thanks to Politoed + Ludicolo, as well as decent bulk with Milotic and Mawile. Thundurus-T offers excellent offensive pressure too! I hope it helps. Feel free to ask for usage tips.

Hhhh... so I found this thread. I had to wonder now, which is better now, equipping my Sylveon with Choice Specs or Leftover with Calm Mind....

What teams are the most common? I have noticed that I have met too many Terra-cott (that Terra-Elfun, so fun bah...), along with MegaCharY. There seems to be pattern once one reaches around even 1550 rate lately, as I keep running afoul to either them, or even worse, a team with at least 3 or even 4 legendaries.

From that pastebin I saw two teams I once faced each, and both ended up in failure.

So far, I have only always used my Battle House teams, as in Battle Maison discussion thread. I used to be able to reach 1650 last year, but now....

Well, can I ask for discussions and suggestion for this team then? This is my House Triples team based on a forum higher-up's strategy (but scratch the Latios), and I managed to now reach decent rate in BS-Triples with them. However, I'm still thinking of many coverage, flaws, and other things I have to do something on, such as trying a Metagross instead of Excadrill. I think in higher rate he'll be even more useful as he has good defenses, can hit enemy Fighting supporters like Hariteyama hard, and Clear Body prevents Intimidate Landoros-T which I have seen too many times, often crippling Excadrill's attack. The major problem would be against that swordie or Heatran, so I think to equip him Assault Vest, or something else while giving him Protect. Any suggestion to what I should use or other Pokemon to replace Excadrill, or keep him? (apart of Legendaries as I can't catch them to get optimal one without wasting too many time)

In the meantime too, I think to use Scald instead of Grass Knot on Gekkouga/Greninja to face Heatran properly. Will it be good? As that means I can't hit Toritodon and Terra-cott Terrakion anymore.

Last edited:
PsychicAcademic

You've been running into Terra Cott, lately? I'm at about 1570 and I haven't really seen one, much. Mostly just good stuffs and weather teams. What season were you playing? ORAS or XY? Since you have a cluster of Pokemon that each work better under different weathers, it seems that your approach is to just use "goodstuffs" too. Have you tried Landorus-T? He offers some Intimidate support, and tends to run Choice Scarf, which is a strong answer to Terra Cotta. Feint combined with a priority/scarfed move is another solid answer to Terracotta, so you might like to fit Hitmontop or Weavile on your team. Your team is really good, and its hard to think of what to replace, but if I'm really forced to, probably Greninja.

PsychicAcademic

You've been running into Terra Cott, lately? I'm at about 1570 and I haven't really seen one, much. Mostly just good stuffs and weather teams. What season were you playing? ORAS or XY? Since you have a cluster of Pokemon that each work better under different weathers, it seems that your approach is to just use "goodstuffs" too. Have you tried Landorus-T? He offers some Intimidate support, and tends to run Choice Scarf, which is a strong answer to Terra Cotta. Feint combined with a priority/scarfed move is another solid answer to Terracotta, so you might like to fit Hitmontop or Weavile on your team. Your team is really good, and its hard to think of what to replace, but if I'm really forced to, probably Greninja.
I feel like not wanting to run more legendaries. They're too much hassles to get, especially for good ones in battle. My team is more like balanced DPS team with no particular theme, indeed. I even replaced Excadrill with Metagross for bulkier counter against Fighting type and Nymphia.

I also felt like I indeed need to replace Greninja as up in 1650 there are more Trick Room teams instead. With Landoros-T, Heatran, and Arceus knows what other legendary I run into. Terracott isn't running as often anymore, but when they do, they're paired with Dark Void Smeargle, something I don't have answer to yet.

Problem is, indeed, Greninja has great coverage. Able to one-shot Landoros, as well as hitting hard things like Aegislash(?) is great thing. But in higher games where Trick Room plays way too often....

Oh well, I stopped as of now, too much hassles. But maybe I'll play again when I have better idea. Themed team seems good too, but somehow I feel like it centralizes the whole game. I try to avoid playing against the ever famous sun team consisting either MegazardonY or Heatran or both (I even install Rain Dance on Cresselia only for that). The teams I face are way often too typical. I feel like I'll go with Trick Room team with Theorymon's idea above if I have time to breed things.

Another day, I'll try to get Hitmontop(?) too. Or Klefki or Nyaonix.

Last edited:
So, I'm currently around low 1600 after about 16 battles with my latest Triples team. Its a partial Trick Room, partial Rain Team. Politoed, Ludicolo, Blastoise, Machamp, Cresselia, and Weavile. I already have a couple Battle Replays posted in the replay thread, I'm currently about, 12-4.

I came to take a look on statistics and, it seems like Choko's Triple Teams will remain the most popular running amok BS-Triples in ORAS. I still don't know how to answer that. Terracott and that freaking goat still seem popular as well.

Bah, if only getting good legendaries are easy, or hard at all with no chance to cheating their IVs....

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Bah, if only getting good legendaries are easy, or hard at all with no chance to cheating their IVs....
Have you tried checking out the wifi forum? There's always people giving away stuff there, and I know Theorymon has a massive thread with tons of free legendaries. You should check it out so you don't have to worry about handicapping yourself by not using some of the best pokemon in the game.

Have you tried checking out the wifi forum? There's always people giving away stuff there, and I know Theorymon has a massive thread with tons of free legendaries. You should check it out so you don't have to worry about handicapping yourself by not using some of the best pokemon in the game.
Hmm... thanks for the advice. I am still wondering if I can brainstorm a good, original team for now though. My attachment to my Triples team that had brought me far hundreds of streaks in Triples and laziness probably don't help either. But I'll try checking that when I can, thanks again.

Hmm... thanks for the advice. I am still wondering if I can brainstorm a good, original team for now though. My attachment to my Triples team that had brought me far hundreds of streaks in Triples and laziness probably don't help either. But I'll try checking that when I can, thanks again.
Oh and cannibal gives out legendaries too if you wanna check with him, mine all suck.

My triples maison team is very unique but kinda bad and legendary heavy lol. Not a meta I am used to. Kinda wanna dick around in it though.

I've never really played triples, is it super difficult? Like I only just recently breached out to dubblees with any level of effort, and was quick to go back to singles again.

For Triples field effects count for the most right? Like Screens and weather? Abilities to help teammates also must count for more, like Healer. Wide Guard is also super important, know that much.

Is there a list for triples mechanics, like is spread move damage same as dabbles, which of your mons does Helping Hand work for, etc? Looking all that up would b boring, think there should just b a list of those things on here to make it easier on people.

I've never really played triples, is it super difficult? Like I only just recently breached out to dubblees with any level of effort, and was quick to go back to singles again.

For Triples field effects count for the most right? Like Screens and weather? Abilities to help teammates also must count for more, like Healer. Wide Guard is also super important, know that much.

Is there a list for triples mechanics, like is spread move damage same as dabbles, which of your mons does Helping Hand work for, etc? Looking all that up would b boring, think there should just b a list of those things on here to make it easier on people.
Well, you can check Bulbapedia, or the Battle Maison thread on triples. I got used to Triples myself from playing the Battle House.

Moves that can affect whole fields like Tailwind or Trick Room and weathers are very powerful. Positioning is also crucial and attacks are limited in their range, making cross-field moves like flying attacks powerful too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)