BSS Teambuilding & Help Thread (SuMo Edition Reloaded 2.0)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Original XY version approved by Age of Kings, godspeed wherever you are. I think cant say suggested I do this on Discord so there's that

Welcome to the official Battle Spot teambuilding thread's seventh gen reincarnation! This thread serves as a place to post the work-in-progress teams you're using on the cartridge or Pokémon Showdown! ladders and to ask for help and suggestions to improve them. Feel free to post your team ideas here and ask for input from the Battle Spot community!

----
Rules:

~ All Battle Spot forum rules apply (have a read if you haven't already)

~ Avoid posting full RMTs here. Go to the RMT Other Teams forum to post finished teams and to ask for help with tweaking it. This thread is for teams that are not fully built yet, and cores that can be built around

~ Try to format your teams so that they're consistent with Pokémon Showdown's importable set format (example). This allows raters to stress-test your team on the Showdown ladder to find weaknesses should they need to, and generally keeps the thread consistent and tidy.

~ You're very welcome to post a team for whichever Battle Spot format you use it in – just make sure it's clear which format you're posting for to avoid confusion

~ Be sure to include solid descriptions so that raters know that general goals for your team and the roles of individual Pokémon. All sets must come with an in-depth description - the definition of "in-depth" is left to the discretion of the moderators

Happy building !

Don't really have a specific question I guess just wondering where I should start with building a team for online battles? After trying it out and deciding I'd build a better team before getting on the only Pokemon I've trained so far is my Gyarados finally got him to LvL 100. Was thinking of training a Garchomp for it to. Like I said I'm new to this I'm sorry.

One thing I'm not quite sure about, rules-wise: I've built most of my team but have yet to figure out which Pokemon to put in the last slot. Would it be better to post what I have here or in RMT, since the team isn't finished yet?

Don't really have a specific question I guess just wondering where I should start with building a team for online battles? After trying it out and deciding I'd build a better team before getting on the only Pokemon I've trained so far is my Gyarados finally got him to LvL 100. Was thinking of training a Garchomp for it to. Like I said I'm new to this I'm sorry.
Welcome to Battle Spot! I'll assume that you're playing Battle Spot Singles. Gyarados and Garchomp are definitely great picks in Battle Spot to start with! I definitely recommend building and playtesting teams on Pokemon Showdown before starting on cartridge though, the battles go faster and it is easier to edit Pokemon until you have a team that you're happy to start breeding and training on cartridge. If you see me on the Battle Spot Pokemon Showdown or Discord room feel free to send me a message and I'll see what I can do to help :)

Welcome to Battle Spot! I'll assume that you're playing Battle Spot Singles. Gyarados and Garchomp are definitely great picks in Battle Spot to start with! I definitely recommend building and playtesting teams on Pokemon Showdown before starting on cartridge though, the battles go faster and it is easier to edit Pokemon until you have a team that you're happy to start breeding and training on cartridge. If you see me on the Battle Spot Pokemon Showdown or Discord room feel free to send me a message and I'll see what I can do to help :)
Thank you I will have to try it sometime only issue is I only have my iPhone because I don't have wifi where I live and to use my computer I use my hotspot that eats my data so I only try to get on it to clone Pokemon for my friend on powersaves. Can I use showdown with an iPhone if so do you know if it uses a lot of data. I just received. Tapu bulu and in trying to train up my Mareanie now to see if it's stats are good enough for battles. How do you figure that out? I figured at level one I would be able to gauge it but my friend said I need to atleast LvL up to 50 to be able to judge the stats is that true?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One thing I'm not quite sure about, rules-wise: I've built most of my team but have yet to figure out which Pokemon to put in the last slot. Would it be better to post what I have here or in RMT, since the team isn't finished yet?
Incomplete teams posted in RMT get locked / deleted so do it in this thread.

I'm trying to build a Mixed Attacker Mega-Lucario that can be freely switched in to a) any kind of Mimikyu and b) Alolan Muk and hard counter them. Here's what I have so far:

Lucario @ Lucarionite
- Bullet Punch (to break Mimikyu's disguise and make it think I'm physical, prompting it to foolishly Will-o-Wisp me)
- Flash Cannon (to completely wreck Mimikyu after breaking its disguise, even if it burns me)
- Aura Sphere (to consistently hit Alolan Muk even if it minimizes)
- ???

So my questions are: a) what should the fourth move be? and b) what's a good Nature/EV spread?

I'm trying to build a Mixed Attacker Mega-Lucario that can be freely switched in to a) any kind of Mimikyu and b) Alolan Muk and hard counter them. Here's what I have so far:

Lucario @ Lucarionite
- Bullet Punch (to break Mimikyu's disguise and make it think I'm physical, prompting it to foolishly Will-o-Wisp me)
- Flash Cannon (to completely wreck Mimikyu after breaking its disguise, even if it burns me)
- ???

So my questions are: a) what should the fourth move be? and b) what's a good Nature/EV spread?
What ability did you want for Lucario? B/c with the spread I just made for you, Steadfast is a good bet to get a check on any flinches (since Mimikyus like to use Fake Out).

Here's the spread I thought, but idk if it suits exactly what you're looking for:

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Steadfast
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Bullet Punch
-Aura Sphere
-Flash Cannon
-Nasty Plot/Rock Slide

It's your choice if you want the setup or the possibility of flinches, but hitting fast with special is your best bet. Rock Slide does make you more mixed and you'll still be fast even w/o boost from Steadfast flinches.

So far, I've had no luck getting a decent Celesteela, so I'm not sure how else I can round out a team for Singles.

I have a (Mega) Gyarados and Marowak-A so far, which I hear go together pretty well. I can see why, since they seem to cover each other's weaknesses very well.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Marowak-A @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Flame Charge

Probably a very common pairing, but hey, if it works. Celesteela would be great to round that out, so I'm probably going to keep trying to find a good one.

I need something that can special-attack. The first thing that came to mind was Hydreigon, since it also has Levitate to cover Marowak's Ground weakness. That 4x Fairy weakness is a bit nasty, though, in a day and age where we have Tapus out and about...

I need something that can special-attack. The first thing that came to mind was Hydreigon, since it also has Levitate to cover Marowak's Ground weakness. That 4x Fairy weakness is a bit nasty, though, in a day and age where we have Tapus out and about...
How about a Vikavolt with HP Ice?

This is the first generation I've been at from the start and want to get into competitive battling. I've dabbled a bit with Showdown and a little on ORAS BSS cartridge. This is my first attempt at not "netdecking" my team. I would like some advice and help though. I've decided I want to try out Golisopod. (rough draft below). I'm imagining this functioning as sort of a revenge killer of sorts? I'm struggling with deciding what to add to cover it's typing though. Since It's weak to Rock and Electric I thought about adding something with ground typing. I considered Garchop who would function as a physical attacker. But where Golisopod is sort of a physical attacker and is physically bulky as well I feel like I'm missing out special defense/attack. I've also considered Emboar to put a fire type in, but again that seems too much emphasis on physical offense and not enough defense. Can anyone offer some advice on what mistakes I'm making trying to think this trough or offer advice on how I should be thinking / or who I could add?

Golisopod @ Life Orb
Ability: Emergency Exit
Level: 50
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 31 HP / 31 Atk / 31 Def / 31 SpA / 31 SpD / 0 Spe
- First Impression
- Aqua Jet
- Sucker Punch
- Liquidation

Last edited:
Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Mild Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Aqua Jet
I was woundeing of some one can help me with a core or teammates for primarina i was thinking This set any help will be appreciated thanks

On Golisopod, I don't recommend it and that's not for any lack of trying to make it work. Hard countered by Tapu Lele which is common right now and the ability is just really annoying to play around with in battle with other players. It's actually really good in battle tree though.

For Primarina, you'll want an electric immunity for her. Garchomp is probably the best option, look at some of the battle spot analysis sets for it and try those out in showdown. Aqua Jet sucks on a pokemon with such high spA and bad attack even if it is priority, dump it for either more coverage or perish song. Choice specs are a waste, use Primerinium-Z for the special Z-move.

On Golisopod, I don't recommend it and that's not for any lack of trying to make it work. Hard countered by Tapu Lele which is common right now and the ability is just really annoying to play around with in battle with other players. It's actually really good in battle tree though.

For Primarina, you'll want an electric immunity for her. Garchomp is probably the best option, look at some of the battle spot analysis sets for it and try those out in showdown. Aqua Jet sucks on a pokemon with such high spA and bad attack even if it is priority, dump it for either more coverage or perish song. Choice specs are a waste, use Primerinium-Z for the special Z-move.
Thanks for the help

Last generation I used to be a troll with the Moody Glalie set.
In this generation Sheer Cold got a nerf (sh!t guys, do you remember when the suicune event was free to be used? All those Sheer Cold War)
But I don't want talk about this. Even if I wanna play with Glalie again.
This time I wanna use another annoying set, I don't think it's really good but I wanna try it.

Muk-A @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Minimize
- Gusk Shot
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak / Crunch / Filler

Enough easy to explain, go for Minimize and hope the best.
Now, sure ground attacks and physical attacker are a trouble. Plus Muk can't count on a possible speed boost as Glalie can. So a thunder wave user can help.

For the first problem I was think about Celesteela, but Pheromosa sure is still dangerous. Maybe gyarados?

What's a good spread for muk- a and a moveset in battle spot? I imagine the team building style to be different from 6v 6. I've just recently got into the style so looking for how to play it. Not your haxy troll set but a legitimate one.

Lucario @ Lucarionite
- ???

I dont think you can switch in with lucario to any mimikyu. For example when you switch in to mimikyu he can swords dance, then can shadow claw on your bullet punch and then you can not go for flash cannon because he can use shadow sneak and i believe that koes your lucario, and you didnt want to go for another bullet punch in case he had wow.

What's a good spread for muk- a and a moveset in battle spot? I imagine the team building style to be different from 6v 6. I've just recently got into the style so looking for how to play it. Not your haxy troll set but a legitimate one.
Either go for scum muk and use minimize/toxic or gluttony/figy berry with gunk shot/knock off/shadow sneak/coverage. Muk-A is really good in the prebank meta since it has the only decent STAB knockoff around.

I am very new to competitive battling and I was trying to create a core for my team. I want to use Salazzle but I am lost as to who I should use for team mates. I was thinking this Salazzle set.

Salazzle @ Life Orb
Ability- Corrosion
EVs- 252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Nature- Timid
-Sludge wave
- flamethrower
-nasty plot
-dragon pulse

I would also like to use vikavolt but I dont know what set to use. Would these two be decent on the same team?

Either go for scum muk and use minimize/toxic or gluttony/figy berry with gunk shot/knock off/shadow sneak/coverage. Muk-A is really good in the prebank meta since it has the only decent STAB knockoff around.
Sounds good. Thanks for the tip! Standard 252 hp.252 att spread?

Pretty much, might benefit from some optimization but that just requires experimentation.

I am very new to competitive battling and I was trying to create a core for my team. I want to use Salazzle but I am lost as to who I should use for team mates. I was thinking this Salazzle set.

Salazzle @ Life Orb
Ability- Corrosion
Nature- Timid
-Sludge wave
- flamethrower
-nasty plot
-dragon pulse

I would also like to use vikavolt but I dont know what set to use. Would these two be decent on the same team?
Vikavolt does cover the ground weakness that Salazzle has with levitate but the lack of coverage, low speed and meh bulk kind of make it a very mediocre pokemon overall. You definitely want to pair a ground immunity with Salazzle though to counterplay those earthquakes. Bulky Gyarados might be a good option for you to pair with Salazzle as it has both that ground immunity and a water resistance, and carries Ice Fang for those pesky Garchomps. Leaves you a bit rock weak which might actually make a Garchomp a good third leg as it also has an electric immunity to support Gyarados.

Ok, back with another idea and needing some help. This is for Battle Spot Singles.

I really liked the look to Toxapex's defensive stats and started doing some research. This is the idea I've come up with so far.

Toxapex @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Haze
- Infestation
- Toxic
- Recover

Toxapex is the game plan. Using his incredible bulk the plan is to stall everything he can out with Toxic-Infestation. Recover to keep him alive and Haze to make sure no one gets through him. .

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Rush
- Swords Dance

Fast Physical Sweeper designed to cover Toxapex and it's weaknesses. Ground typing gives it immunity to electric. Firefang for ice types, Dragon rush against dragon types, and earthquake against steel and poison. Swords Dance if it gets a chance to set up.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Steel Wing
- Roost

I know I had a reason for adding in Skarmory, but I can't really remember specifically what that was as I didn't write it down. I believe I wanted the flying to give me immunity to ground. Steel Wing to give me coverage against fairy type?

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Tapu Lele gives me special sweeper to balance out my team of mostly special attackers.

I'm not sure what other two pokemon to add to the team. Are there any large weaknesses that I'm missing? Anything I don't have coverage for that I probably need?

Last edited:
I have added a few new mons for my team. Any suggestions for other pokemon?

Salazzle @ Life Orb
Ability- Corrosion
Nature- Timid
-Sludge wave
- flamethrower
-nasty plot
-dragon pulse

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability- Intimidate
EVs- 88 Hp/ 220 Atk/ 4 Def/ 196 Spe
Jolly nature
-Waterfall
-dragon dance
-ice fang
-substitute

Garchomp @ Lum berry
Ability- Rough Skin
Evs- 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpD
Jolly nature
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-swords dance
-Iron Head

Metagross @ metagrossite
Ability- Clear Body
Evs- 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Bullet punch
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Ice Punch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)