Rules Forum Rules and Simple Questions/Answers

Been running the somewhat viable Hippowdon, Mega Luke, and Dragonite core to a mixed success, but the one problem I have is I am not sure what teammates usually run with them. Has anyone else used this core and can give me a potential answer?

EDIT: Also what other viable Mega Luke teams have gone around gen 7 BSS?
Having a solid way, even though Dnite can carry Tpunch and Elec-Z, to hit Water-types could help. Tapu Koko, for example, is a good option to add to that (already amazing) core. Then you can play around it and form another core, for example: Koko / Mega CharY / Landorus.

Or you can just play the 3+3 way without adding any other tool to that core. Having the Hippo-Dnite-Luke core and another indipendent core that does well versus when the other one doesn't.

To answer to your second question, if you don't want to use Luke with Hippo and Dnite, Zapdos, Tapu Lele, Tapu Fini, Primarina, Rotom-W/H, Mimikyu, Gyarados, and similar mons are all good partners with whom you can build a team.

I have a question about online competitions. I competed in the 2017 Challenge in April, but I had to cancel participation due to studying for AP exams. I did 22 battles before canceling. Will I receive the mega stones?

I have a question about online competitions. I competed in the 2017 Challenge in April, but I had to cancel participation due to studying for AP exams. I did 22 battles before canceling. Will I receive the mega stones?
Yes, you only needed to play in 3 games. Cancelling participation only unlocks the battle box and disallows further games. What you played will still be counted for rankings.

I've been trying to get into Battlespot Singles for sometime, and I wanted to try a core around Mega Lucario, Tapu Fini, and Rotom-H. The problem is, I don't know what to build around these 3. Any ideas?

I've been trying to get into Battlespot Singles for sometime, and I wanted to try a core around Mega Lucario, Tapu Fini, and Rotom-H. The problem is, I don't know what to build around these 3. Any ideas?
Landorus-T might help either Lucario and Fini and offers an option over Rotom-H if you need Intimidate support or attacks such as Earthquake.
@ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 28 Atk / 4 Def / 44 SpD / 188 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Knock Off
- U-turn

EVs are to survive to HP Ice from +1 Modest Volcarona. It survives HP Ice from CharY too, OHKOing both with Rock Tomb. Speed is to be faster than Jolly Breloom.

Tapu Lele works very well with Mega Lucario teams, acting as a potent revenge killer for Dragon- and Fighting-types. It might look redundant with Fini, but it has a totally different role. Imo you could try it.

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast / Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire

As for the 6th slot, that's pretty open i guess. You could even add a Secondary Mega. Mega Charizard Y for example works very well with these pokemon, barring Rotom-H who would probably be reduntant with it. Mega Kangaskhan might work too, being supported by 3 fighting-type resist, and a way to beat Steels like Celesteela with Rotom-H or Landorus if talking about steels that don't fly.

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
I agree with Solerme that having a special secondary mega like Zard Y or Gengar could be a decent choice. Another option is completing your FWG core with something like Kartana or Ferrothorn. If you're using offensive Rotom-H, I would recommend using defensive wall Fini and SpDef Ferro; if it's tank Rotom-H, using Kartana for some powerful offensive presence could be nice.

I'm reading that defensive Gyarados can check Charizard Y, but I'm not sure how exactly. Waterfall is only a 2HKO 10% of the time under Sun, and Charizard outspeeds and 3HKOS with Solar Beam, meaning you only actually check it 10% of the time. I can see how a Z Bounce set would check (survive Fire Blast / Solar Beam and OHKO) but not sure how defensive does.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm reading that defensive Gyarados can check Charizard Y, but I'm not sure how exactly. Waterfall is only a 2HKO 10% of the time under Sun, and Charizard outspeeds and 3HKOS with Solar Beam, meaning you only actually check it 10% of the time. I can see how a Z Bounce set would check (survive Fire Blast / Solar Beam and OHKO) but not sure how defensive does.
Rock Tomb or Thunder Wave + Waterfall. I wouldn't use Gyara as my Zrd-Y check though, there are plenty of better choices...

Can anyone give me an insight as to what set Buzzwole runs on BS?
These are all the items above 5%
#1 Rocky Helmet 26.6%
#2 Assault Vest 21.4%
#3 Fightinium Z 13.7%
#4 Choice Scarf 9.9%
#5 Choice Band 7.5%
#6 Life Orb 6.0%
#7 Groundium Z 5.7%

Due to it's high HP and Defence (better Phys Bulk than Skarmory!) a defensive Rocky Helmet set with Roost and Leech Life (or Lunge) is seen on roughly 1/4 Buzzwole (Impish is used ~25%).
AV sets to patch up it's lackluster SpDef and let it become a great tank, these will typically carry Ice Punch, Leech Life, Superpower (or Hammer Arm) and another move to round out the set such as Earthquake, Thunderpunch or Rock Tomb.
Fightinium Z sets, from my experience, run a lot of speed and use Z-Superpower to score a quick KO and get the Beast Boost. Similar other attacks to AV.
Choice Scarf can use a Jolly Nature to surpass M-Gengar or Tapu Koko and knock them out with EQ. Ice Punch is practically a given on these sets too since it matches up decently with Landorus-T, Garchomp and unboosted Salamence.
Choice Band and Life Orb will likely have speed investment and carry similar attacks to AV.
Groundium Z is notable only for this calc: 252+ Atk Buzzwole Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 168-198 (100.5 - 118.5%), just squeeks out the KO on Aegislash.

You can check out more indepth usage statistics, than PGL provides, here: https://boe2.github.io/bsus.html

These are all the items above 5%
#1 Rocky Helmet 26.6%
#2 Assault Vest 21.4%
#3 Fightinium Z 13.7%
#4 Choice Scarf 9.9%
#5 Choice Band 7.5%
#6 Life Orb 6.0%
#7 Groundium Z 5.7%

Due to it's high HP and Defence (better Phys Bulk than Skarmory!) a defensive Rocky Helmet set with Roost and Leech Life (or Lunge) is seen on roughly 1/4 Buzzwole (Impish is used ~25%).
AV sets to patch up it's lackluster SpDef and let it become a great tank, these will typically carry Ice Punch, Leech Life, Superpower (or Hammer Arm) and another move to round out the set such as Earthquake, Thunderpunch or Rock Tomb.
Fightinium Z sets, from my experience, run a lot of speed and use Z-Superpower to score a quick KO and get the Beast Boost. Similar other attacks to AV.
Choice Scarf can use a Jolly Nature to surpass M-Gengar or Tapu Koko and knock them out with EQ. Ice Punch is practically a given on these sets too since it matches up decently with Landorus-T, Garchomp and unboosted Salamence.
Choice Band and Life Orb will likely have speed investment and carry similar attacks to AV.
Groundium Z is notable only for this calc: 252+ Atk Buzzwole Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 168-198 (100.5 - 118.5%), just squeeks out the KO on Aegislash.

You can check out more indepth usage statistics, than PGL provides, here: https://boe2.github.io/bsus.html
Thanks ! I'm guessing the stat spread for AV and Rocky Helmet is all HP/Atk/Def or SpDef with probably some Spd investment.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Can flygon work in battle spot? I was thinking a dragon dance set could be useful and I don't want to use garchomp.
Flygon in general isn't very good, but the only set I've used/seen to any success is Choice Band paired with Mega Mawile for the defensive synergy they provide for each other. This was in ORAS so Choice Band may not work as well this gen, but I'd say Mega Mawile is a must if you're using Flygon regardless. Usage stats imply that Scarf would be the way to go for Flygon, or Focus Sash with Dragon Dance, though I'm wouldn't imagine either would stand out too much.

When you mega-evolve Lucario, it gets an increase in stats and in power with its new ability (adaptability). So, I was wondering if using sword dance/nasty plot is overkill. Could it be better to have one more coverage move?

It always depends on the team you use. If you can't really beat for example Aegislash, EQ would be better than SD. But if your team is having trouble with for example Ice Beam Cresselia (couldn't think of sth better atm) or if you just want to gain advantage from a Pokemon you can SD in front of to get a stronger Priority for later you go with a setup move. Looking at the pgl stats you can say that most people don't run a setup move but it is still viable to use one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, lol xD I was curious about that Cresselia, so I went in the damage calculator to check this out. Then, I noticed that a super effective dark pulse would do the same ammount of damage than a normal flash cannon. And I realized that I was a complet noob since the power boost from adaptibility kinda makes STAB moves act like super effective. So, it's useless to run a coverage move to get more moves inflicting super effective. My bad xD

Last edited by a moderator:

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
Mega Venusaur and Mamoswine are both pretty solid answers that I can think of off the top of my head.
This is only true depending on set/situation. Ada Mamoswime Ice Shard only does like 70-75% to Thundy-T, and if your sash isn't intact, prepared to get OHKO'd by FB or z-FB. Mega Venu is generally a solid check, but Thundy sometimes runs Nasty Plot + Psychic to break through Venu. Something like Scarf Nihilego is capable of breaking through all Thundy variants as you outspeed Scarf Thundy-T and OHKO both forms with Power Gem. The one exception to Nihilego winning is if your opponent is like Agility + Nasty Plot + z-FB. But if you let your opponent get both of those up you deserve to lose anyway...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah Thund-T really lacks any defensive checks since it just obliterates all of them with +2 Z moves (most often Focus Blast or Thundebolt), so its best to check it offensively with faster mons. Base 101 speed may be "fast" but is actually Thund's greatest downfall, you can check it with things like Scarf Lele, Garchomp, Nihilego, Greninja, Blaziken, or Mega Metagross. The only thing that can really "tank" a move is Mimikyu with Disguise, which can then retaliate with its own Z move or pick it off with Shadow Sneak.

Hi everyone,

I would like to double check something about Protect.

During many battles I have done recently, Protect failed the first time I used it without me using any similar moves before, only damaging moves or toxic.
If I use a damaging move between two use of Protect, the second use can still fail.

Is the starting chance of Protect 100%?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone,

I would like to double check something about Protect.

During many battles I have done recently, Protect failed the first time I used it without me using any similar moves before, only damaging moves or toxic.
If I use a damaging move between two use of Protect, the second use can still fail.

Is the starting chance of Protect 100%?
Protect can fail on the first turn if it's the last move to be used that turn; so if the opponent also uses Protect and they're faster, then yours will fail. This also applies to switches. Protect is 100% guaranteed after a failure so it's generally viewed as a net positive if either of those things happens. Moves like Wide Guard and Crafty Shield also affect Protect's success rate even though they have a consistent 100% success rate themselves, so Protect has a chance to fail if you used a shield-type move in the last turn. As far as I'm aware, Protect should have 100% successful under any other battle conditions unless there's something obscure that I haven't thought of off the top of my head.

e: a handful of moves are capable of hitting through Protect - most common are Z-moves but Feint, Phantom Force, Shadow Force and Hoopa's two signature moves can also do it :)

In Doubles, whats a good partner for forming an offensive core with Special Mega-Salamence?
Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect
I was wondering since I'm not very experience with doubles and I haven't been able to find an analysis on Battle Spot Doubles Mega Salamence to help me learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)