Battle Mechanics Research

Do you guys know how overgrow/torrent/blaze works on the turn something megaevolves?

My blastoise has torrent and less than 30% health. I mega and scald. Does it get the torrent boost?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Do you guys know how overgrow/torrent/blaze works on the turn something megaevolves?

My blastoise has torrent and less than 30% health. I mega and scald. Does it get the torrent boost?
It does not. Damage calculation is done after mega evolution, unlike turn order, so only the mega ability is factored into damage.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
With the Pledge moves, does the Grass + Water swamp combo reduce the Speed of Pokémon with Clear Body and White Smoke?
It would reduce their speed similarly to Thunder Wave or Iron Ball because it is a field effect rather than something which reduces speed in stages.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Bulbapedia claims that flinging a mental herb at a pokemon will cure it of infatuation. Will flinging a mental herb also cure the target of other things mental herb normally cures, such as taunt?

If you have a hacked Castform-Snowy with Forecast or Cherrim-Sunshine with Flower Gift:
  1. do they revert immediately on send-out?
  2. if not, do they change forme with the weather?
  3. if so, what do they change back to when the weather ends?

Do the Pledge combos cancel one another out? For example, if I set up Water + Grass Pledge and then next turn used Fire + Grass, would the Fire + Grass override the old one?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Multi-strike_move#2-5_strikes_per_turn
This is regarding whether or not the probabilities of multihit moves changed in gen 5.

Does anyone know if this actually changed as Bulbapedia says it did? I know it's implemented on PS, but the only source I've found searching through Smogon and the rest of the internet is Bulbapedia and other posts referencing the Bulbapedia post as fact. I looked in the Bulbapedia history and talk pages, but there were no sources confirming this. Perhaps I'm searching for the wrong things. Git blame and a search of git log from lines 322-326 of data/scripts.js yielded no sources either.

Not sure how to verify this as I don't have much experience in the way of disassemblies.

As an aside: it wouldn't be the first time I've found blatantly incorrect information on Bulbapedia, they've got berry activation pretty screwed up as well.

tl;dr:
Did multihit probability:
2, 3 hits: (3/8) and 4, 5 hits: (1/8)
actually change in gen 5 to:
2, 3 hits: (1/3) and 4, 5 hits: (1/6)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/b-w-research-thread.79340/page-59#post-3110008
A bit more digging and I found it. I wonder how statistically significant "100" is though...
Nevermind, those 400 tests are significant assuming I can plug numbers into a stats function. Still was ridicuclously difficult to find a source.

Last edited:

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Bulbapedia claims that flinging a mental herb at a pokemon will cure it of infatuation. Will flinging a mental herb also cure the target of other things mental herb normally cures, such as taunt?
Yes.
If a Pokemon with Mold Breaker uses Bulk Up against a Pokemon with Unaware, does it benefit from the defense boost?
Yes, as long as the Pokemon with Unaware isn't attacking it. Unaware only ignores stat stages when the Pokemon with it is involved in a damage calculation or accuracy check, either as the attacker (Defense, Sp. Def, evasiveness ignored), or as the defender (Attack, Sp. Atk, accuracy ignored). This behaviour is also why Foul Play against a Pokemon with Unaware ignores its own Attack stat stage, because Foul Play uses it as the attacker's Attack stat stage in the damage formula.
Do the Pledge combos cancel one another out? For example, if I set up Water + Grass Pledge and then next turn used Fire + Grass, would the Fire + Grass override the old one?
Nope, they're different effects so they don't interact at all.
If I have my Blastoise mimic Transform and then use Transform, can I still mega evolve into Mega Blastoise?
Mimic hasn't worked on Transform since Gen 4, but yes Mega Evolving is still possible while Transformed. You change types, stats, and Ability as usual, and until you switch out you keep the Transformed moves and can't be Transformed into. Mega Evolution and the Shaymin-Sky reversion to Land Forme when frozen happen to be the only effects that can still change your forme while Transformed (since Gen 5, anyway).

If Helping Hand is used on ally Pokemon, and it hits itself in confusion, does the Helping Hand boost apply to the confusion damage?

from what i understand, a pokemon is able to use belch as long as it used a berry before and this condition remains even if it is switched out. would like to confirm whether these situation applies for using belch:

1- receive berry from ally Fling berry.
2- consume berry with natural gift
3- losing berry after opponent used knocked off
4- receiving baton pass from someone that ate a berry or triggering hypothesis 1~3 above (if they actually works...)

from what i understand, a pokemon is able to use belch as long as it used a berry before and this condition remains even if it is switched out. would like to confirm whether these situation applies for using belch:

1- receive berry from ally Fling berry.
2- consume berry with natural gift
3- losing berry after opponent used knocked off
4- receiving baton pass from someone that ate a berry or triggering hypothesis 1~3 above (if they actually works...)
1. Yes
2. No
3. No
4. No

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankdoublesou-498457223 - Fling

Been playing a lot of BH7 lately, wondering about freeze dry plus sheer force. Does it remove the bonus against water types and freeze chance, or just the freeze chance?

NabboCheTesta

Gniubbo come sempre
Does the effects of things such as psychic terrain and queenly majesty stop prankster perish song?
I think it doesn't, QM / Psyterrain only stops targeting moves aimed at the foe with priority from hitting. On a note, does a targeting move called by Prankster Copycat fail against priority protection (dazzl / psyterr)

Also wat Skymin reverts to land forme if frozen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)