Strategy & Metagame Barely used Pokemon in the new gens that would've been good in RBY if they existed

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the recent Smog issues Jellicent has written some cool articles regarding RBY, and although the idea I have in mind is relatively similar to these, I think it would be entertanining and interesting to see the comparisons between RBY and the newer gens and read about it from another perspective, using a bit of speculation.

The concept I'd like to write about is basically what the title entails: (A) Talk about Pokemon that are never or almost never seen in the new generations (and thus are placed in the lower tiers in the gens they exist) that would've been good in RBY if they had existed back then. Not only that, but I'd also like to include the exact opposite: (B) Pokemon that are very good in (most of the) post RBY gens, that would not have been (very) good in RBY and thus would've hardly made it to OU in the first gen. My idea is to talk about and explain why these Pokemon would have been good in RBY despite being top Pokemon in the future gens (A), and the opposite for (B). This would let me address information about RBY differenciated mechanics between RBY and the new gens, about what makes a Pokemon good in RBY etc.

Unfortunately, I have never played past ADV, so the pool would be limited to GSC and ADV Pokemon (although usefulness and usage in DP and BW would obviously be taken into account when choosing the Pokemon to talk about). Nevertheless, I can easily come up with 15 examples from GSC or ADV Pokemon that will easily fit in the article; examples are Ursaring, Miltank and Regirock for (A), and Suicune, Skarmory and Salamence for (B).

If my idea is accepted, I plan to write the article during Holy Week (would get it done in around 16-20 days now) since I'll be busier until then. If that time wouldn't make the cut for the release time of the next Smog issue, I'd gladly write the article in order to be published in the next issue instead, if possible.

P.S. If this goes through hopefully someone can come up with a better and briefer title if I can't myself! :P

Thanks for your time!

I think this is an awesome counterpart to Jelli's articles, and you certainly know your stuff. This kind of speculation, backed up by knowledge, always makes for interesting discussion. Approved!

I looked up the dates for Holy Week (sorry for my unfamiliarity) and Google said March 24-30, which isn't in 16-20 days. D: So I'll just assume Holy Week is different where you live or something, lol. Anyway, 16-20 days would be either right before release or past it (release is scheduled for April 6), so I think it'd probably be better to try for Issue 26. What do you think?

Anyway, as far as I know you don't have access to the Article Workshop, so please go here and apply for The Smog Access, then get back to us and we'll approve you / give you further instructions. :D Thanks for your interest!

My Holy Week vacations start in exactly 11 days now (thursday 28th), so I calculated I would be able to get the article done for around Sunday 31st at best, since I'd rather do it well than do it quickly but not so well, and I'll also be doing other things during the vacations, such as studying and enjoying myself :P

I will maybe be able to finish it few days earlier than I now expect; it will all depend on how things go. I don't mind if it finally goes in issue 25 or 26, of course if it can't make issue 25, then it would be 26. In any case, we'll see. Now, I really don't know 100% whether I'll be able to finish the article earlier than in 15 days or not. I'll keep you informed though. And thanks for the approval! :)

Alright, thanks a lot! Anyway, I've approved you. You should now have access to the Article Workshop forum under The Smog main forum~

Go and read the What Are We Doing? sticky thread and post that you'll be working on this article (if you want to try for this issue, that is), then get started as soon as you're ready. Remember: don't leak any of our stuff until the release happens. This includes art and any other information. If you ever want feedback on your work or have questions, you can join us in #thesmog.

Thank you for your application! If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask The Smog Staff or any of The Smog mentors (of which I am one) for advice! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)